NATION

PASSWORD

2014 II rper of the year: Delmonte V.S. New Azura

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The greater Vakolicci Haven
Senator

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

2014 II rper of the year: Delmonte V.S. New Azura

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:15 am

2014 international incidents roleplayer of the year, first knockout round

MT's highest nominatet member, Delmonte, takes on former champion New Azura in what is sure to be a true battle ofwriting skill.

New Azura:
Expressway 25 Corridor, 5 KM South of Winchester Ridge — Nuclear Attack +7 Years

There was a low, smoky haze clinging to the side of the shoulder that ran up alongside of the highway, obscuring things considerably heading down the bluff towards the valley. Courtney numbly shouldered the bag of canned goods they'd scavenged from the disused fallout shelter near Mount Logan, wondering how Timothy would take to real nourishment for a change. Canned foods were as much a luxury as chocolate and penicillin was; her son had never tasted potted meat before, and she was very much interested in the canned peaches. Someone had gone through a lot of trouble to horde, and that hard work was going to pay dividends for them, so long as the storm clouds stayed off to the west. A thunderstorm made for terrible traveling weather.

"Mom," Timothy quietly called from up ahead, pointing at a fire off in the distance, far into the valley ahead. "That fire, down in the gulch... Could that be a refugee camp down there?"

Courtney warily eyed the distant smoke, understanding at once that anyone making fire out in the open had no fear of those around them, and that could only mean trouble. "No, no I don't think so. We should probably cut north at the next safe crossing."

"Yes, ma'am."

The sun was already beginning to press on towards the far horizon, casting an ethereal glow in the direction they had meant to travel. There had been word back in Aarontown of a relative safe haven several miles beyond Winchester Ridge, but their hopes had been dashed with the sighting of the Blood Army's scouts moving along the trails heading in that direction. Most other refugees had fled north, trying to stay ahead of the hordes, but she'd taken a gamble on moving west instead, expecting the main body of the group they'd been traveling with several months prior to attract the lion's share of attention. Thus far, her gambit was paying dividends, but she had no great desire to continue westward any longer than she had to.

We'd be caught in the crossfire with the Republicans, if the Rithos didn't get us first...

Courtney sighed; they had no real alternative but to try for the border. They'd have to try and swing back to the northwest and see if they could make for one of the Mayflower bastions along the southern salient, though she wasn't even sure where to begin looking. Mayflower was something of a cryptic rumor, always just beyond the next way-station or port of call without ever making an appearance. She had no real reason to believe there was even such a group on the ground, though countless refugees from different parties had regaled her with their heroics. Learning which myths to trust in the wastes was a delicate balancing act; one that she had become quite good at over the years—a trait she was fond of having picked up.

Still, there existed a general concern over accepting any and all information that was spread through word of mouth. Especially in the hinterlands, communication was almost always anecdotal, and anything vaguely resembling official news had long since passed into memory. The borderlands were a rash mix of hearsay and rumors; some legitimate, others deadly. Following the wrong report could lead you straight into the waiting arms of Covenant raiding parties or Highland slavers, and only then if you were really lucky. She had seen enough in the last seven years—God, has it only been seven years?—to haunt every waking moment. If she could simply have one good night's sleep in a warm, comfortable bed, she could die a happy woman.
Pandemonium:Cataclysms

Delmonte:
Clang.

"I do hope you understand that we didn't make this decision lightly."

Rattle. Clang. Water drips somewhere no man would ever find it. Cesare and Ludovico are in a place unfit for any Di Canossa, let alone the Doge and the Foreign Chancellor: a seedy warehouse on the lower West side of the Grand City of Delmonte. The warehouse is owned by a small fishery, a subsidiary company of Pesconnes Co., which is a much larger fishing company that is owned by the umbrella company of Regaliere Consumazzi (a company that generally produces various food-stuffs). That is owned by an off-shore shell corporation which was just purchased last year by Di Canossa Vineyards & Co.

"Won't you respond to the Doge's question, Faliere?"

The man thus addressed, kneeling on the mildewy floor as he was, was not in a good position to look at either Ludovico or Cesare, but he oozed contempt. His crimson robes of office were, by this point, entirely ruined.

"You're not scaring me." he spat, "I'm not a mere peon that you can cow into submission. I am the Vice-Chancellor of the Quality of Wines and Spirits, a Conte, and a protected man of three of the other major families. You can't touch me."

Cesare writhed.

"Clearly you think that my cousin Vincenzo is the only one who can play dirty. But I can deal with you without his help." Cesare rested one gloved hand on a dilapidated railing. "Now, inform me of how I can get my hands on the Di Azzones that plotted the veritable treason that you have initiated, or I will kill you."

Diego Faliere spat at Cesare's feet. "Go fuck yourself, Di Canossa dog. I played the game just fine and did nothing out of place until you decided to break the rules yourself. Hell, I even made a pretty good Vice-Chancellor. You broke the Pax Nobilis. You brought these things upon yourself. My living is your only chance of redemption and you know it, so you won't kill me."

Cesare stared at him and Ludovico backed away, thinking Cesare would over-react. But instead, Cesare just looked at him for a few seconds before speaking.

"Fuck you. Fuck the other families. And fuck the Peace. I'm not an old man. I have sixty years left on the Doge's chair; minimum. Our plants have already taken over the entirety of the Special Police, as you have learned tonight..." Here he nodded at the four DSP agents standing behind Faliere. "I no longer need the army; the mercenaries I've hired are more loyal anyway. So remind me of what, exactly, I need this alleged Peace for. Sure, sure, it's a tradition, and that's nice. But you know what? It's a tradition that shafts me."

Here he got quite close to Faliere.

"And you know what, all of this was just to scare you. I'll admit that. But now you've insulted me, my family, and my manhood and I just can't live that down. My only consolation will be knowing that you died a far worse death than I will. I hope you enjoy your voyage. I apologize for the bumpiness of your ride; Delmontese Rafts are notorious for the turbulence they incur en route to their destination." He waved his hands at the agents who were holding the various components of the Delmontese "Raft" in the back. They were briefly taken aback; they hadn't been expecting to actually do these things! But slowly, the one with the chain and locks moved forward and attached the chain to Faliere's shackles.

"Hah! This is quite good! You want me to beg. Maybe you'll even let me go in the water before you doubtless pull me up on a spare chain you've hidden. Quite rich."

Cesare was silent as the other end of the chain was wrapped through the empty spaces of three large cinder blocks, making a grating sound as it did so.

Faliere burst into laughter. "Good God, Cesare, are they actors? They're moving so purposefully. This is quite good. Are you going to give me my Last Rites to make me really worry? No? Probably more convincing that way, anyway, you dumb fuck. God, you're going to look so fucking stupid. If I begged now would you immediately relent or just pretend to? Did you rehearse this? It's really excellent."

Cesare just watched. He could probably still make him crack if he tried. He could probably even bribe him... Another clang.

"Uhoh!" Faliere said sarcastically with mock worry on his face. "That sounds like a grate being opened! Oh, gee, I might be about to die! I'd better fess everything up to you, huh?" Then he had another fit of laughter. "I'm so upset that you shackled my hands together so I can't wipe the tears from my eyes. This is so perfect. I won't even have to embellish it when I tell everyone at the Club tomorrow about how the Di Canossas- Oh, my, they are making quite a show of being about to push them in the water. I say, those boys look like they mean business, Cesare! Where did you get them?" His laughter became grating and incessant. Even as the cinder-blocks plunked into the water with a splash one by one and the chain began to whir after them, he kept laughing.

His cloak tore and his fingernails ripped as he clawed at the wood, still red in the face with glee. He held himself up for just a few seconds by holding his elbows against the planks near the edge of the hole in the floor, now exhausted. His laughing quieted and he looked around. Nobody was moving closer to pull him up after he inevitably plunged into the water. He didn't even see a secondary chain attached anywhere. Then he looked up at Cesare and saw his face. And then it hit him. His face went completely calm.

And then he began laughing again; more loudly than ever. He threw his head back and laughed with insane glee just before being sucked into the water in an instant. The water splashed upwards, black as coffee. As Cesare stewed over his breakfast in the Piazzo Del Toro the next morning, this is what his beverage reminded him of. Ludovico, sitting across from him, had no difficulties eating. If anything, murder apparently worked up his appetite.
Further posts:
the burning man

Now, another first for this competition. Due to the high quality of posting on both sides, I have chosen to abstain from voting.
RIP Vakolic, 08/08/2009-29/12/2013, unjustly deleted.
Population: 9.6 billion (to be added to current population of this nation)
Last known defence budget: 82.2 trillion
Last known gdp: $423.2 trillion (nstracker)
For other stats, please tg.
the greater Vakolicci Haven
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:36 am

Im casting a vote for New Azura. Ive always loved NA's posts across all their accounts. There's been a huge range of emotions and characters in them, and it's not easy being a skilled rper in such a variety of ways.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:40 am

Both are obviously fantastic writers, so, again, it's not fair that we should have people this good against each other in the first round. :p In just about any other pairing, Delmonte would have had my vote. Still, there's a reason I nominated her, who I consider one of the very best roleplayers in NS, so my natural choice is going to have to be New Azura.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:44 am

Maltropia wrote:Both are obviously fantastic writers, so, again, it's not fair that we should have people this good against each other in the first round. :p In just about any other pairing, Delmonte would have had my vote. Still, there's a reason I nominated her, who I consider one of the very best roleplayers in NS, so my natural choice is going to have to be New Azura.

Ah, but those hard decions are the beauty of a truly unbiased bracket.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:42 am

New Azura.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Thoricia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Thoricia » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:13 am

New Azura
Ponderosa wrote:I kick you in the face, because I'm angry that I actually wrote out a creative response to the post above, only to find out that you ruined it.

This quote sums up my life.

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:36 am

Both New Azura and Delmonte are fantastic writers; however, given my experiences with New Azura, I've cast my vote for New Azura. Delmonte still deserves commendation nonetheless.
The Elven Kingdom of Amador
Founder of TETism and 18-year NS vet
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:29 am

New Azura.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Huerdae
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:51 am

New Azura for the win!
The Huerdaen Star Empire is an FT Nation.

Xiscapia wrote:It amused her for a time to wonder if the two fleets could not see each other, so she could imagine them blindly stabbing in the dark, like a game of tag, if tag was played with rocket launchers in pitch blackness.
[17:15] <Telros> OH HO HO, YOU THOUGHT HUE WAS OUT OF LUCK, DID YOU
[17:15] <Telros> KUKUKU, HE HAS REINFORCEMENTS
[17:15] <Telros> FOR TELROS IS REINFORCEMENTS MAN

Rezo wrote:If your battleship turrets have a smaller calibre than your penis is long, you're doing it wrong.

Haishan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 08, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Haishan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:55 am

My vote goes to New Azura for her highly engaging piece; while Delmonte writing is good but the former just came alive in my mind due to artful balance between words and ambigious-ness left to the imagination of the reader to fill the void thus making reading her piece is a vividly pleasant experience.
STATE CAPITALIST WITH CHAOS THEORISM | THE TECHNO-INDUSCRACY OF HAISHAN
ORDER THROUGH DISORDER
Nyhizi kizcyk kur

PROPONENT OF : UNCONVENTIONAL ELECTROMAGNETICS, NEW MATERIALS, METAMATERIALS, ENERGETICS AND, LASERS
GLOBAL AEROSPACE TRADE ASSOCIATION MEMBER | SCNS CONSTELLATION INITIATIVE (SIC)

Helio: currently working on a replacement though, it will be like 3x more powerful
TheGrimReaper: Builds cutting-edge technology > already designing a replacement by the time it is released :haishan:
Haishan, always three steps ahead than Her competitors.

Ifaltannia
Diplomat

Founded: May 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ifaltannia » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:58 am

Really hard choice.

New Azura I think win by a toe.
The Kingdom Of Ifaltannia
Current Monarch: King Aeflswin
Current Prime Minister: Radnar Verback
Current Wars: Peace
Defcon:[5] 4 3 2 1
Ifaltannia is a country in the arctic populated by Ifalts with strong Proto-Germanic roots. It's most prominent religion is Wodenism/Esetroth and the language of its people is closely related to Old-English. The country is lead by King Aeflswin with the assistance of the Current PM. The population of Ifaltannia is 2.6 Million.
Long live the Kingdom
-See my factbook for a complete history document.

Yalos
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yalos » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:05 am

Delmonte.

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:13 am

In terms of writing in its isolated form, both Delmonte and Azura are skilled and top-notch. But roleplay comprises a far larger skill set than just good writing, and this contest is about the best RPer (not best writer), so, from my history of interactions with both contestants, I have to say Azura wins in virtually every other quality of good roleplay. Really tough to beat the defending champion, I guess.

So yeah, my vote goes to New Azura.
Last edited by Virana on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:44 am

In hindsight, when choosing to abstain, I was thinking purely on the basis of the quality of posts from both rpers.

However, the fact I have had a large amount of rping experience with Delmonte, and the fact that we have had a number of well-faught, violent arguments...all well-written, I shall change my vote to Delmonte.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Dreadful Sagittarius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dreadful Sagittarius » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:51 am

I've always found New Azura's posts interesting and thoughtful. While Delmonte's no slouch in the writing department, I think he has the same problem I do of relying on dialogue too much. Therefore, my vote is for New Azura.
In Memoriam of David 'CanisD' Briedis, October 20, 1970 - August 27, 2015
For He Loved The Stars Too Fondly, To Fear The Night
Factbook of the Phanes RepublicFuture-Tech Advice & Assistance Thread
Future-Tech Market Index ThreadThe CompendiumState of the Galaxy
Only a fool taunts the Archer

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:02 am

This is a difficult one.

I've RP'd with both New Azura and Delmonte on and off for years now, and I like them both. They're both very, very good writers and I've always enjoyed reading what they've written. Because of that, choosing one over the other is incredibly difficult.

I'm going to go with a vote for Delmonte, as I think that the touch of humour that he includes within his posts is perhaps a bit more up my alley. This isn't a knock against New Azura, as I've kind of been prevaricating for most the day when it comes to choosing one over the other.

I suspect that I'll be faced with the same issue with more than a few of the other draws that have been generated this year.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

The Advent-Unity
Secretary

Founded: Jul 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Advent-Unity » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:13 am

New Azura because OHMYGODSITSFULLOFSTORIES.
The Psintegrat Empire of the Advent Unity

New Belhavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Belhavia » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:37 pm

I vote for New Azura. Both competitors in today's contest are strong writers, but, to echo Virana's post above, a great role-player has additional features and traits besides excellent writing. I have gotten to read many of Azura's material over the last few months in particular, and I have been duly blown away by Azura's realism, plot twists, and fascinating/believable (and, frankly, quite epic) scenes. Beyond this, Azura has always gone out of their way to be cooperative, accommodating, and consensus-based. Azura's dedication to this is well-known, and it is the deciding factor in my vote.
The Empire of Belhavia
National Factbook (IIwiki): Imperial Leadership - Imperial Armed Forces - Foreign Relations - News

[01:56] <NB> Moral of the story: Don't f*** with the NB political machine. We f***in' hustle for our votes...
"My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own...my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny." - Elaine Maxwell
"The historical debate is over. Free market capitalism is the answer." - Thomas Friedman

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:16 pm

New Azura

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:53 pm

They're gonna win, of this I'm sura
So now I cast my vote, for New Azura!
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
The Kitsune Empire of Xiscapia's FT Factbook (V2.5)
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Both of these players are fantastic writers. There is a reason why New Azura is the defending champion in this champion.

For me, this comes down to a matter of personal taste...that being Delmonte.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:11 pm

Dang. This is a very tough choice, especially given the posts in the OP. I would like to emphasize that while I admire both writers, my vote goes to Delmonte.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Alexiandra
Senator

Founded: Feb 04, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Alexiandra » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:14 pm

New Azura.
'A distinction is made in private life between what a man thinks and says of himself and what he really is and does. In historical struggles one must make a still sharper distinction between the phrases and fantasies of the parties and their real organisation and real interests, between their conception of themselves and what they really are.'

Marquesan
Minister

Founded: Oct 21, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Marquesan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm gonna fight for the underdog here.

Delmonte!
"Just so Summanus, wrapped in a smoking whirlwind of blue flame, falls upon people and cities." - John Milton, In Quintum Novembris

@Marquesan I hereby proclaim you as the Gothic Mad Scientist, who actually isn't mad but a brilliant genius which every nations military goes to consult when they quietly tell their leaders, "We'll consult our experts" and when asked who they always say "private sources"
@Marquesan I will say man you're the only person on NS I've ever mistaken for a genuine Weapons designer.
Friend of Kraven, 2005-2023
18 years of stories deleted
Kraven Prevails!

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:25 am

With a margin of 10, defending champion New Azura beats off highest nominated mt rper Delmonte to progress to the round of 16.

I would like to congratulate both competetors for reaching this stage, and hope to see them in future competitions.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents