NATION

PASSWORD

(ooc) How to Conduct an Interrogation

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
United Gordonopia
Senator

Founded: Aug 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

(ooc) How to Conduct an Interrogation

Postby United Gordonopia » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:30 pm

How to Conduct an Interrogation

Most of you might be asking "Why would anyone make a thread on something like this?" I will give you three reasons: One, I was bored, Two, NS style interrogations stink, and Three, interrogations are a cool subject. Interrogations are rarely seen on NS, and they are usually in the higher quality RPs. The most common use is when special forces come into play. Most of the time, people just say they 'found the information from someone they captured', but never tell how they got it out of them. If someone is really devoted to their cause, they aren't going to just 'spill the beans'. You have to coax it out of them. Interrogation.

First off, start by telling them exactly how it's going to end. If the person just assassinated your nation's leader, they know they aren't going to live, so don't tell them they will. Simply, tell them that they'll die a better death. That way, they have something to 'work towards'. Who wants to die with the most pain, physical and psychological, possible?

Know the situation. If you have to, do a little OOC tging so that you know what to work towards. This isn't RL, you can't tell if someone's lying by looking at them, because you can't look at them. Make sure you've analyzed the whole thread regarding why the person is being interrogated before you start.

Punching someone doesn't coax information out of them. This isn't a 90's cop show. Mere physical abuse alone will not get someone to talk. You have to get into their mind, and beating them senseless won't do that.

Search before you begin. So many 'interrogations' on NS end when the person being interrogated "breaks a cap of cyanide disguised as a tooth", or some other suicide technique. Avoid this by simply saying that you have checked them over, and preferably "stripped them".

Do not be afraid to get a little dirty. Black Ops aren't the FBI. They're more like Jack Baur when he REALLY needs information. Do not be afraid to go to extremes, or at least imply them. In this post done be me through my puppet, you will find an interrogation halfway down. If you notice, it gets a little... over the top at the end. Just so we don't have people castrated left and right, if it's getting really bad, don't be afraid to skip it. Remember, this sight has rules. That post may be the upper limit of where you should go (in fact, it may even be a little past it).

Interrogations are a tricky thing, but one thing specific to NS is that you need to agree beforehand if you will get the information from the other person. If they are a good rper, they will likely say yes. If not, then so be it. If they don't want to submit, that's their own decision. You don't have to RP with them if they don't want to do it well.

Notes: The primary source for this is here: http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/fbi ... ations.pdf
Last edited by United Gordonopia on Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you ever have an RPing question, please TG me about it.
Also Known as Kazmr

Host: Baptism of Fire 51, 53
Third Place: Cup of Harmony 56
Semi-Finalist: World Cup 63

United Gordonopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:28 pm

any comments? Criticisms?
Also Known as Kazmr

Brewdomia
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brewdomia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:35 pm

Pretty sweet. Nice job, bro.

United Gordonopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:38 pm

Brewdomia wrote:Pretty sweet. Nice job, bro.

Thanks. Obviously, I was kind of bored last night.
Also Known as Kazmr

Mirnect
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirnect » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:00 pm

On behalf of us ignorants who learnt interrogation via The A Team, how do you get into one's mind quickly? Obviously, 1984's example was excellent but it must've been months for it to end up as it did.
The Stratocracy of Mirnect
A virgin phoenix from her ashes risen.
The Ashes of War: Summit on the Venturer
Permanently unavaible from Thursday 19th August until Tuesday 24th August.
Activity limited until September 1st-3rd.

United Gordonopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:12 pm

Mirnect wrote:On behalf of us ignorants who learnt interrogation via The A Team, how do you get into one's mind quickly? Obviously, 1984's example was excellent but it must've been months for it to end up as it did.

1984 is good, but yes, it was likely a very long time. On people like Winston, interrogations like this won't work. They are simply to set in their ways. Most people are not like that. To get into someone's mind is often not that hard, especially if they have a weaker mind. You need to determine a method that suits you, and that fits the habits of the people you are using. If your men are idealists, they aren't going to resort to all out torture, they'll use more subtle ways.
Also Known as Kazmr

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:19 pm

Very interesting, and the example is a bit of a difference from my 'interrogation' technique as displayed in 'The World's Tool':

viewtopic.php?p=153587#p153587

As you can guess, I have studied the Khmer Rouge before.

Rephidim
Attaché

Founded: Sep 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Rephidim » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:21 pm

I find it interesting that you say physical abuse won't cut it, then cite a thread in which somebody makes a successful interrogation not by getting "into their mind" but via castration. Did he stab him in his metaphorical testicle?

Other than that, I like it.
Starfleet Command HQ: Defensive Alliance

United Gordonopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Rephidim wrote:I find it interesting that you say physical abuse won't cut it, then cite a thread in which somebody makes a successful interrogation not by getting "into their mind" but via castration. Did he stab him in his metaphorical testicle?

Other than that, I like it.

I said that physical abuse alone won't cut it. Many people can take pain, but once their mind is broken, they will tell you anything. Physical abuse can simply quicken the breaking of their mind.
Also Known as Kazmr

Rephidim
Attaché

Founded: Sep 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Rephidim » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:25 pm

I was just being annoying. You bring up good points.
Starfleet Command HQ: Defensive Alliance

Brittanican Adenia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Brittanican Adenia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:27 pm

http://forums.joltonline.com/showthread.php?t=562257

The above thread details an exceptional interrogation, perpetrated by the incredibly cunning and wily Waldenburg.
The Commonwealth of Britannican Adenia
"Pro Regina, Pro Terra, Pro Victoria!"

Embassy and Ambassador Exchange | The Real IFA

4th May 2009 - Jaredcohenia - Unjustly Deleted

United Gordonopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:46 pm

New Nicksyllvania wrote:I would like to add that showing videos of people being tortured helps show the detained that you are indeed serious, and that the entire matter can be resolved much cleaner. Furthermore you can also promise to tell their government and family that you resisted torture as long as possible so that there will be no shame.
Sleep deprevation and asking repetitive questions in a random order, over the course of days helps ensure the information is not simply made up. If someone lies about facts, they generally do not remember the lie consistantly unlike what they have actually witnessed.

That is a good point. If I edit this, I will include that.
Also Known as Kazmr

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents