NATION

PASSWORD

OOC: The Future of II

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Gordonopia
Senator

Founded: Aug 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Automagfreek wrote:I do think though, Czardas, that II needs at least one mod around that will pay attention to what goes on here, since this forum is largely avoided by the mods unless someone issues a report in Moderation. Too many times I've seen threads completely ruined because they started out IC and quickly devolved into OOC spam and bickering, and in these instances a mod stepping in and kindly reminding everyone to stay on topic, etc, would have saved the thread. Whether the staff feels a mod devoted largely to II is warranted or not, I've personally seen more than enough need for one. NSG has plenty of moderators hanging about, but I very rarely see any set foot in here. Might be a good idea to discuss this amongst the staff.

I for one second this, but as I said earlier, II isn't the only RPing thread that needs it. The other RPing threads (including my beloved GEaT) that need one of their own to save them from a different problem. GEaT, for example, is a swamp of spam. On the first page alone, there are at least five threads that I would consider spam. If you include pic spam, 'storefronts' that are merely pictures and prices, there are two more. Meanwhile, stores like R2, my own Gordonopian Enterprises :D , and numerous others are thrown out by stores that contain products proven impossible by posters. There are numerous stores where the OP posts a "product", gets one or two noobs to buy it, and then keeps making more and more,often in individual threads. If there are going to be RPing mods, make sure GEaT isn't left behind.
If you ever have an RPing question, please TG me about it.
Also Known as Kazmr

Host: Baptism of Fire 51, 53
Third Place: Cup of Harmony 56
Semi-Finalist: World Cup 63

United Gordonopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:46 pm

Oh, and just as a note, I think the "OP length to Poster Amount" may actually be a real thing. Most people say that new players attract more posts. My new puppet, Bayr, has almost none. In all three threads, there have only been about three posters other then myself, and in my own opinion, the rping on my part is quite good.
If you ever have an RPing question, please TG me about it.
Also Known as Kazmr

Host: Baptism of Fire 51, 53
Third Place: Cup of Harmony 56
Semi-Finalist: World Cup 63

Serbian_Soviet_Union
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Serbian_Soviet_Union » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:50 pm

I would like to sign it aswell since i am not that very well with rp'ing wars and conflicts so heres my signature,

Signed by FSSU
Zastava Arms Inc Cheap Military Hardware: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6443
Zastava Energy Inc & Zastava Oil Corporation: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7806
Full member of: AMNAT, CIN, SCUTUM, CA, VA, PSUS
Observer Member of: GIA, EA, CI

Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) State of War/State of Emergency || Preparation for a possible war
Military size 5% Active || 2.5% Reserves
Government Type: Capitalist, Conservative, Right Wing, Democratic
FSSU Nations Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9558
Serbian Broadcasting News: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9733
Baxtell Heavy Engineering Droid Works

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:03 pm

Automagfreek wrote:I do think though, Czardas, that II needs at least one mod around that will pay attention to what goes on here, since this forum is largely avoided by the mods unless someone issues a report in Moderation. Too many times I've seen threads completely ruined because they started out IC and quickly devolved into OOC spam and bickering, and in these instances a mod stepping in and kindly reminding everyone to stay on topic, etc, would have saved the thread. Whether the staff feels a mod devoted largely to II is warranted or not, I've personally seen more than enough need for one. NSG has plenty of moderators hanging about, but I very rarely see any set foot in here. Might be a good idea to discuss this amongst the staff.

II definitely needs moderation, I agree (as do the other RP forums). While the RP forums are generally more self-sufficient than, say, NSG or the WA, which generate the bulk of complaints (NSG in particular), there's only so much the average player can do in a "I DECALRE WAR ON TEH WORLD WIHT N00KS!!!1111 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: " thread, or with increasingly sterner warnings to the effect of "If I have to tell you one more time that you're not permitted to post in this closed thread, it'll be in letters of blood carved into the bodies of your parents!" However, at this point II tends to be something of a hot potato among the mods; no one really wants to be left holding it. Hence the idea of II modlings, if that can garner any support among the rest of the team (and, of course, [violet]).
Last edited by Czardas on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Automagfreek
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Automagfreek » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Czardas wrote: However, at this point II tends to be something of a hot potato among the mods; no one really wants to be left holding it. Hence the idea of II modlings, if that can garner any support among the rest of the team (and, of course, [violet]).

Then perhaps someone should be found who wouldn't mind holding said hot potato. I do hope that the staff talks this over, and thank you for agreeing that yes, something needs to be done.
Founded on March 24th, 2003
Proud founder and Lord of Gholgoth
Condemned by Security Council Resolution #82
Join the religion of war. Become a Vanmakti warrior today.

Leistung
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Leistung » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:14 pm

Automagfreek wrote:
Czardas wrote: However, at this point II tends to be something of a hot potato among the mods; no one really wants to be left holding it. Hence the idea of II modlings, if that can garner any support among the rest of the team (and, of course, [violet]).

Then perhaps someone should be found who wouldn't mind holding said hot potato. I do hope that the staff talks this over, and thank you for agreeing that yes, something needs to be done.

I'm absolutely in agreement here. I sincerely doubt anyone who has posted in this thread would mind.
République vertoise
Republic of Vertou

Paypilazhen
Attaché

Founded: Jul 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Paypilazhen » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:19 pm

I've been around for Jolt and more, there's always been a larger community of fail RPers then good. Anyways, I think the reason for the influx is that ANY nation can join now, back in Jolt you needed a validated email to work it (Ya, I know some of you vets and smart-ass are going 'hey, thats not hard dur-hur', but imagine a 1-line poster doing that... they wouldn't count it as worthy of the work) and that's where I think we're getting the influx. Anyways I don't believe in messing with people's creativity. I simply think validation should be re-instated.

Verbosely unsigned,
Pablo

Almajoya
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Almajoya » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:48 pm

Automagfreek wrote:

There were several players who had offered to moderate the RP forums...

such as yours truly...

Automagfreek
Ambassador

Postby Automagfreek » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:37 am

Almajoya wrote:There were several players who had offered to moderate the RP forums...

such as yours truly...

Myself included, for many years actually, but in the end the decision lies with the mods and whether or not they feel adding to the staff is necessary. My personal concern is that people will want to be an "II mod" simply for e-fame of for the power, instead of genuinely wanting to help the community here and contribute to its advancement.

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:41 am

Aw hail, it's hard to disagree with that well-formed and intelligent argument, Leistung. Despite me not having been here long, I've learned a lot from II and I think I'm a fairly good RPer now.

Shucks, I, Techno-Soviet, hereby sign this petition.
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

Almajoya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Almajoya » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:49 am

Automagfreek wrote:
Almajoya wrote:There were several players who had offered to moderate the RP forums...

such as yours truly...

Myself included, for many years actually, but in the end the decision lies with the mods and whether or not they feel adding to the staff is necessary. My personal concern is that people will want to be an "II mod" simply for e-fame of for the power, instead of genuinely wanting to help the community here and contribute to its advancement.

That is a legitimate concern, one that crosses forum borders. In fact, there's probably more "fame" to be gained by being an NSG mod than an II mod.

Having worked as a merch designer for another website, I can attest that there is actually very little fame or power involved. More like infamy and constant accusations. And the occasional thank-you.

Automagfreek
Ambassador

Postby Automagfreek » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:02 am

Almajoya wrote:That is a legitimate concern, one that crosses forum borders. In fact, there's probably more "fame" to be gained by being an NSG mod than an II mod.

Having worked as a merch designer for another website, I can attest that there is actually very little fame or power involved. More like infamy and constant accusations. And the occasional thank-you.

I know all about that, I worked as Lead Forum Admin for the CyberNations forums for over a year alongside Euroslavia, who's a game mod here. It's tough work, but worth the effort.

Brewdomia
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brewdomia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:05 am

Leistung wrote:
Automagfreek wrote:

I'm absolutely in agreement here. I sincerely doubt anyone who has posted in this thread would mind.

Me too, but what standards would the II mods judge on Rping, they certainly have to be very good for one.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:39 am

Leistung wrote:
Automagfreek wrote:

Actually, I would mind. I used to be the mod holding that particular hot potato, and I know quite well that it takes a lot of time ... a quantity of time that I don't have to spare on NationStates. See my earlier post if you need more context.

The Fanboyists
Senator

Founded: Sep 21, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Fanboyists » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:13 am

To go with the "OP length to new player interest" theory, I'd also put foward that interest in non-war activities is not terribly high in many of the newer players I've attempted to RP with.

That said, RP quality is a bit of a problem, although, having done my share of aggravating the situation back on Jolt, I can say that a good number of these, if they stay on, will grow out of the one-liner and godmoding phase (I seem to have, for the most part, unless I'm quite wrong.)

Unfortunately, I'm at that point where I'm not really old enough (or generally active enough) to be terribly well-known to the older, better RPers, but too well-versed in RPing (such as it is) to be able to ger any enjoyment out of RPing with people that are prone to one-liners and frequent godmoding, which I try to discourage in threads that I start, often to the detriment of participation in said threads.

Signed,
The Fanboyists
Proud member of the Ajax role-playing community!
Ottonia, Draakur, and Untsangazar in Ajax
Terefuxe, formerly Allamunnic States (NSSport)

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

United Russian State
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:03 pm

Older RPers, in my opinion, are just as much of the problem as new people [although I suppose I would be consider new too] that do not put in much effort into learing how to RP better. I see a lot of RPs ignored by older RPers, whenever a new person makes one, than they make threads complaining about the new guys, instead of at least trying to help teach them on how to become a better RPer, by joining their RP.

That sticky thread, as pointed out before, are also an issue. Look at how long it is, this is going turn away a lot of people from the start, a lot of people don't really want to read a million word thread and may just give up right there and than, I almost did too. A short overview thread linked to that one [more detailed] would be a much better idea]. Somehow though I did found the will to fully read the whole damn thing, after all that, it didn't help. Some people learn differnetly, I needed help from an actual person, there are likly people like me who are the same way I was lucky enough to find person willing to help me start my first RP. I would likely never rp if it wasn’t for Chernobyl-Pripyat because after talknig with him and getting advice, I understood the basic rules of making a RP, that sticky did little to do this. MY first ever RP, URS Civil War, was entirely ignored by older nations, besides Chernobyl-Pripyat [who helped me started it] and Zackaroth. But I got lucky, because newer nations [2009, and a 2008] did join the RP, it didn't end and it was fun. I did have better luck in my 2nd RP with older natinons.

I see the problem mostly to blame on many older nations who think they are too good to rp with new players, than ignore us. If there is a shortage of good rpers, [up to your standard] than try to fix the problem. Join in newer peoples RPs and see if you can help them. Or maybe leave one of your RPs open. Afraid new people coming in and messing up of your threads? Tell a mod, they said they would remove posts from people who do not want in it. Problem fixed. When you want to make an outstanding RP, than make it semi-open, you do not need to close it. Ask to see examples of their past experiences in RPs, to see if they measure up to your standards.

Police English? What? No really, what are you going do, ban people from rping if they are not as good at English than you. -.-
Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
State of War: Chernobyl-Pripyat
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
Join Pan-Slavic Union State!
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:11 pm

United Russian State wrote:I see the problem mostly to blame on many older nations who think they are too good to rp with new players, than ignore us. If there is a shortage of good rpers, [up to your standard] than try to fix the problem. Join in newer peoples RPs and see if you can help them. Or maybe leave one of your RPs open. Afraid new people coming in and messing up of your threads? Tell a mod, they said they would remove posts from people who do not want in it. Problem fixed. When you want to make an outstanding RP, than make it semi-open, you do not need to close it. Ask to see examples of their past experiences in RPs, to see if they measure up to your standards.

This. Oh yes, this.

So many threads I've had die over the years, or gotten frustrated with because the only involvement was by some lollerskates n00b.

Get out of your shells, people. Find new and interesting people to RP with. Variety is the spice of life and all that. Try to make it a rule to have at least one RP going with somebody you've never posted to before or something like that. That would certainly help things out quite a bit.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Blackhelm Confederacy
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Blackhelm Confederacy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:13 pm

I had done my best to eliminate the n00b threat, but some people took offense to this and call my nation "corrupt" and "evil". Now I'm being invaded for it. Meh.

/signed.
~Got Oil?~

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Brittanican Adenia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Brittanican Adenia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:37 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
United Russian State wrote:I see the problem mostly to blame on many older nations who think they are too good to rp with new players, than ignore us. If there is a shortage of good rpers, [up to your standard] than try to fix the problem. Join in newer peoples RPs and see if you can help them. Or maybe leave one of your RPs open. Afraid new people coming in and messing up of your threads? Tell a mod, they said they would remove posts from people who do not want in it. Problem fixed. When you want to make an outstanding RP, than make it semi-open, you do not need to close it. Ask to see examples of their past experiences in RPs, to see if they measure up to your standards.

This. Oh yes, this.

So many threads I've had die over the years, or gotten frustrated with because the only involvement was by some lollerskates n00b.

Get out of your shells, people. Find new and interesting people to RP with. Variety is the spice of life and all that. Try to make it a rule to have at least one RP going with somebody you've never posted to before or something like that. That would certainly help things out quite a bit.

Oddly, this thread wasn't exactly anyone's first thought when we looked at II and said "well, how can we improve this?"
The Commonwealth of Britannican Adenia
"Pro Regina, Pro Terra, Pro Victoria!"

Embassy and Ambassador Exchange | The Real IFA

4th May 2009 - Jaredcohenia - Unjustly Deleted

The Valepian Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Valepian Lands » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:47 pm

Paypilazhen wrote:I've been around for Jolt and more, there's always been a larger community of fail RPers then good. Anyways, I think the reason for the influx is that ANY nation can join now, back in Jolt you needed a validated email to work it (Ya, I know some of you vets and smart-ass are going 'hey, thats not hard dur-hur', but imagine a 1-line poster doing that... they wouldn't count it as worthy of the work) and that's where I think we're getting the influx. Anyways I don't believe in messing with people's creativity. I simply think validation should be re-instated.

Verbosely unsigned,
Pablo

To quote Memnosyne earlier on in this thread (I know, lazy):
Memnosyne wrote:I think there's a slight difference between "not being able to ably write a creative story" and "They can't use basic e-mail sign-up". If anything these boards are liberating; a far easier and more fluid interface with NS proper which enables us to more actively get involved.

So let's stop closing ourselves off.
RUN FOR AN EMBASSY!
FACTBOOK (!Out of Date!)
DEFCON: [5][4][3][2][1]
|Economic Stats|

The Tofu Islands wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:We should call it

NSG.

Only if it’s discovered that it’s inhabited by trolls.

Memnosyne
Secretary

Founded: Dec 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Memnosyne » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:04 pm

The Valepian Lands wrote:
Paypilazhen wrote:I've been around for Jolt and more, there's always been a larger community of fail RPers then good. Anyways, I think the reason for the influx is that ANY nation can join now, back in Jolt you needed a validated email to work it (Ya, I know some of you vets and smart-ass are going 'hey, thats not hard dur-hur', but imagine a 1-line poster doing that... they wouldn't count it as worthy of the work) and that's where I think we're getting the influx. Anyways I don't believe in messing with people's creativity. I simply think validation should be re-instated.

Verbosely unsigned,
Pablo

To quote Memnosyne earlier on in this thread (I know, lazy):
Memnosyne wrote:I think there's a slight difference between "not being able to ably write a creative story" and "They can't use basic e-mail sign-up". If anything these boards are liberating; a far easier and more fluid interface with NS proper which enables us to more actively get involved.

So let's stop closing ourselves off.

Zactly what I'm doing, what with my open intro thread and all that.

Almajoya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Almajoya » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:58 pm

This. Oh yes, this.

I see your point about joining new players' RPs, but like I said earlier, new players tend to not join established players' threads. They tend to shy away from RPs with long intros, which most est'b players are wont to write.

And to BC: Just stay away from Iraquialand.

Brewdomia
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brewdomia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Almajoya wrote:

This. Oh yes, this.

I see your point about joining new players' RPs, but like I said earlier, new players tend to not join established players' threads. They tend to shy away from RPs with long intros, which most est'b players are wont to write.

I just got half of it, with some good old bullying bargaining.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Almajoya wrote:

This. Oh yes, this.

That's why people should join their threads. If they can get involved with people, they'll be willing to join their threads, despite long intros and suchlike.

Part of that unwillingness to join those threads is that the more considerate newbies don't want to ruin a HUGE GIANT DETAILED RP with their short little posts, or, rather, feel that they would ruin the RP. It helps if you know the person running the thread and know that they won't mind responding to relatively short posts.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Almajoya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Almajoya » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:35 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:That's why people should join their threads. If they can get involved with people, they'll be willing to join their threads, despite long intros and suchlike.

Part of that unwillingness to join those threads is that the more considerate newbies don't want to ruin a HUGE GIANT DETAILED RP with their short little posts, or, rather, feel that they would ruin the RP. It helps if you know the person running the thread and know that they won't mind responding to relatively short posts.

That's the thing. In my crowd, we don't do short little posts. Since I started out seriously RPing (let's ignore the n00bish stuff I did before I knew better), my mentors pushed me to write to the best of my ability. I've learned from them not to accept one-liners, and not to accept short, undetailed posts (unless they are short because of dialogue).

Take Rozarria for example. He joined one of my threads a while back, and we've been cool ever since. Thing is, he uses a lot of one-liners, and I'm trying to break him of that habit, simply because it's poor standard and doesn't get an RP anywhere. Luckily, he gets it. Most inexperienced RPers don't seem to. Central Slavia is another good one. He had his way of RPing, but at our suggestion, he changed it to fit in with the storyline better.

What I mean to say is, instead of worrying about ruining a huge giant detailed RP, they should strive to meet that standard, know what I mean? I don't have a problem joining new players' RPs, but they're just going to get more of those Huge Giant Detailed Posts they're trying to avoid. And new players are always welcome to join my RPs, as long as they put some effort into writing.

And just for those "aww, it's not just the n00bs" people, yes, I agree. There are several players older than me that I could call out for being poor RPers.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents