NATION

PASSWORD

First Impressions-Closed (Florys/Afalia)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Florys
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

First Impressions-Closed (Florys/Afalia)

Postby Florys » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:32 pm

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Dual Parliament Building.
Deliverance.
Grand Electocratic Duchy of Florys.
0955hrs Local Time

The anteroom was silent but for the ticking of the clock mounted upon the alabaster wall and the feverish clicking of a keyboard as a clerk busyed herself with her duties of the hour. Paul Royce MDP, foreign minister of the Grand Electocratic Duchy of Florys reclined back in a chair of expensive red leather as the morning birds sung outside and the sounds of city life bustled gently outside, drifting through a window left ajar on the spring breeze. Royce was a tall, thin man in his early forties garbed in a suit of pale blue and sporting the small point of a beard on his chin, his black hair streaked with grey. He checked his timepiece for the hundredth time and shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

The nation of his birth was a curious one, regarded as quite the anomaly by foreign observers. His was a beautiful land of esoteric social strata and complex unspoken conventions. It was a nation of paradoxes, it's economy was fueled by it's booming tourism industry but it rarely received foreign politicians or visiting dignitaries. Florys retained a staunchly isolationist on Aurora's political stage, it involved itself further afield but left itself far removed from the power play of it's neighbors. That was the case, until now. As Royce waited, the Prime Minister of Afalia was en route to Deliverance to discuss Florys' place along side Aurora's nations and indeed, it's standing among them.

The foreign minister opened his briefcase on his knee and with sharp click it's contents were revealed. Paul thumbed through the numerous sleeves of documents and files within, each contained the impotent subjects of the day's imminent negotiations, they included dozens, if not hundreds of facts, figures, statistics and statements regarding the Florysian economy, defence policy and potential trade settlements among others. It was not the first time he had ensured the precious paper cargo he bore was complete, and the gravity of the situation sunk in. With Premier Westman currently in session in the Chambers and His Grace, the Grand Duke Sylvan attending his first born's graduation in the nation's southern most city, Coralport, representation of his homeland fell to him, a task and honour he didn't savour in it's entirety. He was loathe to mess this situation up but from what he understood from hurried meetings with the ministers of tourism and culture, the Afalians were an agreeable breed, they maintained a monarchy not dissimilar to the hereditary nobility of Florys and they seemed, at first glance, fairly neutral politically, not as staunchly aloof as the Florysians, but as a nation they were as good as any.

He checked the clock ticking away on the wall, the hour was upon him.
Last edited by Florys on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
There is a techical term for a tank stranded on the battlefield-A Target!
Armoured Recovery- HM's British Army.

Arete Et Marte-By Skill And Fighting-Cyprus Operational Support Unit.

#TalkNerdyToMe.

Afalia
Senator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:49 am

On Route To
Dual Parliament Building,
Deliverance,
Grand Electocratic Duchy of Florys
09:55 Hours

'It's very pretty.'

'Indeed,' the prime minister remarked, 'Far removed from the grittiness of Blackdon.'

'You have no appreciation for our capital sir,' the PM's aged assistant and chief of staff remarked, 'You Blartleo fellas never do.'

Christopher Kelly chuckled. He had served as the Prime Minister of Afalia for ten years, six months and twelve days and was becoming rather tired. In September on the tenth anniversary of his accession to the premiership he had announced his informal intention to retire before 11 years and by now he had set a rough date for mid June or early July. The visit to Florys and the wrangling he had done over the past few months at home and abroad would be his last work before a well earned retirement.

'I prepared a summary of the documents for you sir.'

Rupert Brookes, the Fairfax House Chief of Staff, handed a small folder of documents to Kelly. Inside were pages and pages of statistics, notes, facts, trivia, everything needed for talks establishing proper and meaningful political communication between two nations. Although the font was tiny Kelly's glasses allowed him to magnify the words and numbers on the page confirming his belief that Florys and Afalia were partially cut from the same cloth. Afalia's natural and special relationship with its former rulers Albion had been the mainstay of Afalian foreign policy for years. Until the Titanican War in January 2013 and the shock of the Blitzen Bomb Afalia had, much like Florys, remained quietly content in isolation away from the meddling and international issues which plagued the great powers of the region.

Since 2013 however and following the end of the war Kelly had made it his mission to open Afalia up, a task he had had great success in. Relations with Valyria were improved magnificently, a variety of treaties signed with Albion bound the two together like brothers and Afalia's membership in ADTO and other security organisations had given it a route towards closer relations with its far flung regional neighbours. Kelly hoped he could do the same with Florys and form a meaningful, lasting friendship.

'The Anglicans have already established a deal to share the Duchess Regent Air Force Base. I spoke to some friends in Port Royal and they seemed to get on very well,' Brookes said as the magnificent Dual Parliament Building drew into view.

'Yes so I've heard. Our similarities are extensive. Beyond anything else I think we might share a sense of attitude and decorum.'

After being passed over by security and presenting their passes Kelly left his own security personnel at the gate and was driven up to the steps of the centre of Florysian democracy. The PM checked his watch. Ten o'clock, right on time. His door was opened and embarrassingly Kelly thanked the assistant or servant of sorts and climbed out. It was a nice day, the weather far improved from the grey skies and light drizzle which had bid them farewell as they left the airport. After a moments of collecting some files from the boot some assistants gently ushered Kelly and Brookes into the building, Kelly walking confidently ahead, Brookes a little further behind. Soon they would meet Mr. Paul Royce, Member of the Dual Parliament and the foreign minister of the Grand Electocratic Duchy of Florys.

Florys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Florys » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Royce stood up suddenly and straightened his attire as the door to his office's near empty anteroom swung open, he had entertained the idea of getting his attendant to send the delegation into his bureau proper but tossed the notion aside, first impressions were important in the most casual of encounters, never mind this meeting, and Florysians already had a reputation for being haughty, high strung individuals, a reputation that was if Royce was honest, was grounded in reality.

"Salutations Prime Minister Kelly" began Royce with the well trained smile of a politician "Deliverance is made brighter by your presence" he smiled again, a warmer, genuine one this time, as he recited the traditional welcome of his homeland and extended his hand. "I trust your flight was not too horrific? I know Deliverance can be quite the tussle, especially at the start of the tourist season, and greetings to you sir" He nodded towards Brookes as he followed the Afalian leader in and extended his hand again.

"Now I believe it is to business!" He exclaimed with an energetic pivot on the balls of his heels as he lead them through a tall, slender oaken door into his office's interior. This room was more lavishly decorated than the previous as befitted a man of Royce's political standing. It's walls were thickly papered a deep sea green and against them leaned hundreds of ponderous tomes stacked in their shelves covering subjects from the 'The Noble Bloodlines Of Florys' to 'Coral of Florys' Seas And Reefs', the back wall was interrupted by a large window several feet across that ran for several stories above and below the foreign minister bureau. In the center of the room their sat a long table of pale wood, with a map of Florys set into it's center in a darker wood of deep red. On it lay three crystalline pitchers of clear water and three long tall glasses paced with ice.

"Please take a seat sirs" Royce beckoned the men to the table before sitting down himself. "The Premier and His Grace regret that they cannot be present today, but I assure you they send their regards" He finished as he clicked open his briefcase.
Last edited by Florys on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#TalkNerdyToMe.

Afalia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:22 am

Kelly was led through the doors and into the smiling company of Royce, the foreign minister. 'Salutations' the minister said as he stuck out the hand and gave a flowing national greeting. It was nice, Kelly thought, as he stuck out his own hand for the two to shake. The stereotypes and generalisations of Florysians were well known in Afalia, a little arrogant, a little above it all. The prime minister however knew better, stereotypes always had to be taken with a pinch of salt.

'Thank you sir,' Kelly said as Royce finished speaking, 'It's truly an honour to be here. Thank you for inviting me. No, the flight was fine and the traffic wasn't too bad either. The drive in was nice.'

'Indeed,' Brookes said as he shook hands with Royce in turn.

They chatted casually for a brief moment before the business of the day and the trip began. The room they entered was grand, far removed from the various modernist and brutalist designed conference rooms of the newly built parliament in Afalia, wrecked during the war and rebuilt in record fast time from the former's ashes. As he took a seat at the perfectly prepared table Kelly smiled and gave an unconscious nod to his surroundings. He could get used to this if he had too.

Royce gave apologies for the Premier and the Grand Duke before he clicked open his briefcase to start the day's proceedings. On queue Brookes handed the summary folder to Kelly whilst he opened up his own case to access the detailed, specific information necessary for the diplomatic discussions ahead.

'No need to apologise sir, I understand entirely,' Kelly said as he laid out some of the folders on the table before him, 'Please send my own personal regards to His Grace and Premier West as well as the regards of Her Majesty's Government.'

Florys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Florys » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Paul made himself comfortable in his tall blue leather chair as he thumbed through the various documents and withdrew a choice selection from the confines of his brief case. He had decided that he quite liked these Afalians, sure there accent was a bit off on the rough side but still they remembered there courtesies and seemed to be keen to improve the political relations of both nations, a grace he was not to aloof to recognize.

"Well gentlemen" He started brushing a hand through his hair "I will pass on your greetings when the powers that be if they deign to grace me with their presence." He smiled another well practiced smile and poured himself a glass of iced water. After a sip Royce cleared his throat and picked the top most file from his pile. "Well then, if we are all sitting comfortably I presume we can begin. As you know the Grand Electocratic Duchy has maintained a strictly neutral stance of regional isolation concerning the ADTO, Aurora and all other extra national treaties and conflicts with regards our immediate geo-political position." He adopted a slightly more formal tone. "That being said, our current administration and His Grace have decided it would benefit us to through ourselves open to the region on a more political level, we hoped that Afalia would find this not only agreeable but also beneficial. With your cooperation I can foresee a strong bond between our respective homelands"

He shifted in seat and passed the top most file across the table to the pair, "I took the liberty of preparing this." it was a preliminary outline of the subjects that Florys was most keen to discuss with the Aflalian delegation, Defence, Trade, Economics and Relations, each section was under written with charts, statistics and dozens of bullet points for easy reference . "As you are guests of Florys and the Dual Parliament, please also feel free to raise points as and when you see fit, now where would you like to start?"

#TalkNerdyToMe.

Afalia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:14 am

OOC: You mentioned rough accents and you're right. Think Australian with a slight hint of Irish in case you're interested.

Kelly examined the files set out before him, scanning his eyes quickly over the pages to get a quick idea of what they were about. He looked up at Royce and cleared his throat before beginning, 'Perhaps we should start with defence as it is first on the pile,' he said, 'As you said I and Her Majesty's Government would find it most beneficial to forge a strong bond between our respective countries and we hope you will find it most beneficial too. I hope we can create a relationship which is mutually beneficial to both our governments, but more importantly both our peoples.'

With his opening formal address done Kelly hoped the talks could properly begin and a relaxed, informal atmosphere could be created. It seemed the Florysians worked in ways not too dissimilar to his own and with that came a sense of ease and hopefulness that the negotiations would produce something positive for all involved. The areas Royce had named were all important for Afalia especially as the time to consider the prime minister's legacy had begun. He would always be known as the war leader, something he was proud of, but he needed to leave a domestic and foreign policy which both the public and press would smile upon when he was gone. He still had to live life after he left Fairfax House for the last time.

'Let me just get some of my own files out for comparison,' Kelly said as he lifted the files out of the briefcase and laid them carefully onto the table, 'And then we can get down to brass tacks.'

Florys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Florys » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:11 am

"To the matter at hand then" Royce said as he thumbed through a document, pulling out it's preliminary papers and placing them on the deep red wood of the table. "First the boiler plate disclaimer, the Ministry of Defence, Dual Parliament and indeed myself, are not willing to discuss any articles, information and slash or statistics pertaining to the official secrets act of nineteen fifty two, as I'm sure you can understand."

He reclined back in his seat before beginning again with a smile "Now, regarding defence, as I imagine you are aware, Florys' military has been involved in several extra regional deployments as part of the governments 'International Stability Security Program" however, the last of these deployments, the so called 'Winter Insurgency" in Pinzhaben has recently been drawn to a close, and the Dual Parliament has decided to take a temporary lull in such activities."

"Tell me how does Afalia view this policy and indeed it's temporary retirement?"

#TalkNerdyToMe.

Afalia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:34 am

'Of course we understand and I make the same statement with regards to Afalia's own Security Secrets Act 1962,' Kelly said.

He consulted his documents briefly, straightening them out and laying them out before him before continuing, 'I am aware of you government's International Stability Security Program and the various extra regional deployments you have undertaken. Our views on such a policy are largely positive. In the past Afalia undertook a number of small but none the less important, in our eyes anyway, peacekeeping missions which was the extent of our military activities. However, as you may know, in 2013 we were attacked by a fascist dictatorship who we, thankfully, defeated. Since then we have undertaken interventions similar to the ones you took in Pinzhaben.

'Afalia's defence policy is founded on the basis of a well defended nation and a stable international situation to reduce the threat of any attack. Our defence policy also highlights the importance of peacekeeping missions and limited interventions in certain regions and states that threaten the international situation and its stability. For this reason we view the International Stability Security Program as a legitimate, reasonable policy. Of course if Florys got involved in every international situation that spring up then our opinion would most likely change but history shows us that's unlikely to happen. The Dual Parliament's choice to end it also seems reasonable, especially if the situation seems stable to your representatives, advisors and government. I take it the policy could be reactivated if necessary so its temporary retirement does not concern me. In short Her Majesty's Government supports the policy but also has no problems with its temporary retirement.'

Kelly concluded and sat back in his chair a little. He took a sip of water and waited for Royce's response, hoping he hadn't sounded too odd to the Florysian.

Florys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Florys » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:49 am

Royce smiled as he weighed up his foreign counterpart, the prime minister seemed an eloquent and measured type though he was yet form an opinion of his aide, who had thus far remained silent. He had broached his administration's controversial policy not only to get a genuine response and a feel for foreign opinion on the scheme but also to better judge the men he sat across the table from. Wordplay and plotting came as easily to the Grand Duchy's aristocracy as swordplay and spending trust funds but Paul Royce was the son of an accountant and a fisherman, he had had to learn fast the subtleties of of conversation within these halls of power.

"I am glad your nation and my own share a similar world view Prime Minister Kelly, too many states in the world need to be put on the path of ascendance away from barbarism and civil war and it is a cause our armed forces readily embrace, despite the controversy that often surrounds such events with the anarchists and upstarts crying imperialism as I'm sure you can understand."

It was a subject that genuinely irked Royce, the ungrateful third world resisting the stability and democracy the grand duchy brought them, often at the cost of Florysian lives, but he could tell merely from the poise and bearing of Kelly that this was a man who supported a strong armed presence both at home and abroad in the name of stabilization, a fact Royce could respect.

"So please tell me friends have you any questions to bring to this dialogue reference the Florysian Tri-Services? I am no general nor a soldier for that matter as I'm sure you could probably tell, but I have been briefed by the Ministry of Defence and have numerous document's regarding Florysian military policy, doctrine, training, recruitment and equipment etcetera ..."
Last edited by Florys on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

#TalkNerdyToMe.

Afalia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:22 am

Kelly paused for a moment whilst Royce spoke. The man seemed keen on internationalism, perhaps more so than Kelly and the Afalian populace but the general sentiment was the same. 'Indeed,' Kelly said cautiously, 'People often complain of democratic nations becoming involved in certain regions and states but sometimes, when the circumstances demand it, our intervention can and does help the people there and the international situation as a whole.'

The prime minister waited for Royce to speak again before he turned to Brookes to see if there were any questions they had regarding the Florysian Armed Forces and Brookes opened his eyes, sending the signal to Kelly to touch on possible military co-operation. Kelly nodded and turned back round to face his counterpart.

'Well Mr. Royce we have no queries as such but more of an idea which I would like to put on the table at this time, perhaps to touch upon later regarding some form of military co-operation between our two nations. I don't have any concrete ideas at this stage but if your government is interested perhaps our respective militaries could hold some sort of joint exercises and train together and co-operate on certain matters. I don't want to bind either of us to anything, I'm simply putting something on the table I believe both our governments may benefit from sir.'

Kelly waited for Royce's reaction. The idea of military co-operation was more of an abstract one at this stage but the prime minister hoped it could grow into something larger. The Afalian Armed Forces were a decent fighting force, Kelly knew that, but they were still young and co-operation and the gaining of a wide field of skills could be extremely helpful in improving the force's abilities.

Florys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Florys » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:39 am

Regarding the Florysian accent, imagine 1930's Mid-Atlantic/Transatlantic

Military cooperation, it was indeed early times to be talking about such things after such short dialogue but the informal manner of Kelly and the open endedness of the situation put Paul at ease, the thought had crossed the his mind several times before, and certainly on the surface such an enterprise seemed beneficial to all parties, both for the training of the Afalian's relatively inexperienced armed services and for bringing the Florysian military onto the Auroran stage proper for the first time, in a positive light no less.

"A joint military exercise would be agreeable indeed my friends. Alscaise Plains, in the north of the country is Florys' premier military training center and has ample accommodation and the facilities for exercise to involve aerial and maritime assets, I have never been myself but I am assured it is quite impressive. I'm sure or respective Ministries of Defence can hash out the finer details but I see know reason we could not both benefit from such an idea."

Royce took a sip of his iced water, before resuming.

"May I also be the first to commend Afalia, and your former Colonial fore bearers, the Anglicans, in your intervention concerning the current transition of power in South Arturia, it's a just cause and I hope all will be resolved soon"
Last edited by Florys on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

#TalkNerdyToMe.

Afalia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Tue May 13, 2014 10:25 am

'Excellent,' Kelly said simply.

He gave himself a metaphorical pat on the back, pleased his uncharacteristic forwardness on the matter had worked out well. He made a note on his paper to speak to Alice Cook, the security secretary, to finalise details for a joint military exercise, 'That sounds very good sir. I will speak to my Security Secretary and we can have our respective ministers liaison as you say.' Kelly paused once more as Royce took a sip and began to speak again.

Kelly smiled as he heard Royce give his support for Afalia's and Albion's intervention into South Arturia, the joy clearly positive on his face. He could cope quite easily with domestic criticism and opposition from the Socialist party, what he couldn't bear however was criticism from foreign states which really should have been supporting Afalia and Albion's efforts. To hear some positive feedback from a foreign country's administration was a breath of fresh air.

'Thank you very much for your support sir. We share your hopes for a resolution which leaves the South Arturian people with a stable, equal democracy. I only wish more countries in the region would share your sentiments. As I said a minute ago perhaps it is the general complaints that some countries have against democratic nations intervening to help the people in those nations and secure a better future for them and the wider international community.'

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents