NATION

PASSWORD

The Pivot OOC (Cornellia/Aurora ONLY)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Norvenia
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

The Pivot OOC (Cornellia/Aurora ONLY)

Postby Norvenia » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:42 pm

I figured that we might need this, but I'm not going to throw any background information or application forms up - not yet, at least. I figure that if you're involved, you already know everything you need to know, or you can ask specific questions. This is just for planning and discussion.

And here is our IC.

The Cookish States
Minister

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cookish States » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:30 am

Well, I'm interested in participating. I'll try to type something up, figure out my stance, all that. I'm likely going to side with Norvenia, of course.
Oh, is this sig supposed to make you laugh?

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:51 am

The Cookish States wrote:Well, I'm interested in participating. I'll try to type something up, figure out my stance, all that. I'm likely going to side with Norvenia, of course.

Wow, that will be a pleasant change. :p

Good to have you involved, Cooke.

McNernia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby McNernia » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Well I wonder, Has 1 GNIG sailed?
Polaria
Erin Islands
Kaisong Islands
Al-Azkar
Rhodana
Eragh
Arisal
Kirav
Neu Engollon
New Edom: Clyde Hullar Ambassador
Aurora
Children of Aurora
A Luta Continua
Aneas
Tyrennia
Golgoth
Pardes
Cornellian Empire
Rostil
Sondria
Ajax
Astyria

Greater Dienstad
Minyang
Endorser of the Amistad Declaration
SIgnatory of the Amistad Declaration
IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY RPing, TG ME PLEASE, THANKS A BUNCH.
A Time of Trouble
All my posts shall be dedicated to Tom Clancy. May he Rest In Peace.
I Consider the above to be Canon. Which means I want to RP with you if you've been in those regions. Or Are.

Call me Archinia ICly and well maybe Mcnernia is plausible....I don't know.

Lore change?

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:31 pm

We can assume that it is now in interregional waters. When it arrives in Cornellian international waters, we'll see whether my friends there are serious about trying to halt international shipping in international waters.

McNernia
Negotiator

New York Times Democracy

Postby McNernia » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Norvenia wrote:We can assume that it is now in interregional waters. When it arrives in Cornellian international waters, we'll see whether my friends there are serious about trying to halt international shipping in international waters.
Huh, it seems like a hair trigger, one thing leads to another. A ship passing through leads to bases and then you know. And well HMS Andred plans to make a flag-showing in Norvenia.
Polaria
Erin Islands
Kaisong Islands
Al-Azkar
Rhodana
Eragh
Arisal
Kirav
Neu Engollon
Aurora
Children of Aurora
A Luta Continua
Aneas
Tyrennia
Golgoth
Pardes
Cornellian Empire
Rostil
Sondria
Ajax
Astyria

Greater Dienstad
Minyang
A Time of Trouble
I Consider the above to be Canon. Which means I want to RP with you if you've been in those regions. Or Are.

Lore change?

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:48 pm

Mcnernia wrote:
Norvenia wrote:We can assume that it is now in interregional waters. When it arrives in Cornellian international waters, we'll see whether my friends there are serious about trying to halt international shipping in international waters.
Huh, it seems like a hair trigger, one thing leads to another. A ship passing through leads to bases and then you know. And well HMS Andred plans to make a flag-showing in Norvenia.

Not without Norvenian permission. Those are Norvenian territorial waters. You need to run anything remotely like this by me first via TG.

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Late Roman Empire » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:41 am

Does McNernia's participation now make this an open thread? Because McNernia is neither an Auroran nor a Cornellian power, you know.
"I swear by Almighty God that I will faithfully serve and obey the Divine Augustus, as our Lord and Master, and hold him alone as my true, dread sovereign and prince. I swear that I will serve him loyally until the hour of my death, on pain of damnation to my eternal soul." - the Imperial Oath of Allegiance (administered to the civil service and armed forces)

Woe to they who demand things of the Lord of the World, for he is neither so obliged nor amused.

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:48 am

Late Roman Empire wrote:Does McNernia's participation now make this an open thread? Because McNernia is neither an Auroran nor a Cornellian power, you know.

I am aware. No, it does not make this an open thread. Given McNernia's close association with Cornellia in several past threads, I assumed - and McNernia confirmed - that he was in many ways a de facto member of Cornellia, an integral part of the regional dynamic. After consultation with a number of parties involved in this RP, however, I've asked McNernia to limit his participation to diplomatic commentary. So no, this is not an open thread.

The Cookish States
Minister

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cookish States » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:09 am

Holy cow, I didn't just stir the pot, I dropped water into the fryer :P

The cookish government will probably backtrack on the punishing of civilians, as well as what I now see is piracy by seizing ships and destroying planes. We'll maintain diplomatic channels as well. I wrote that out in George bush's voice, which is probably why it is the way it is.

So, your news sources will soon have a heyday!
Oh, is this sig supposed to make you laugh?

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011

Postby Common Territories » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:43 am

Let me just remind everyone, McNernia especially, that kinetic rods -- aka "Rods from God" -- are PMT orbital strike weapons. Not MT weapons.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:05 am

Common Territories wrote:aka "Rods from God"

You mean God's Rods?
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

McNernia
Negotiator

New York Times Democracy

Postby McNernia » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:21 pm

Common Territories wrote:Let me just remind everyone, McNernia especially, that kinetic rods -- aka "Rods from God" -- are PMT orbital strike weapons. Not MT weapons.

Perhaps a prototype of those?
Polaria
Erin Islands
Kaisong Islands
Al-Azkar
Rhodana
Eragh
Arisal
Kirav
Neu Engollon
Aurora
Children of Aurora
A Luta Continua
Aneas
Tyrennia
Golgoth
Pardes
Cornellian Empire
Rostil
Sondria
Ajax
Astyria

Greater Dienstad
Minyang
A Time of Trouble

Lore change?

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:04 pm

Mcnernia wrote:
Common Territories wrote:Let me just remind everyone, McNernia especially, that kinetic rods -- aka "Rods from God" -- are PMT orbital strike weapons. Not MT weapons.

Perhaps a prototype of those?

To Jed above; same thing :p

Norv: No. I should not have to get into detail about why that technology/weaponry is PMT class. I have had questions about the tech boundaries in this thread for a while, such as your holograms, but have been persuaded by others to leave it alone. All I am saying to everyone is just keep the tech boundaries in mind and have fun with this RP.

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:44 pm

In Aurora, the rule for MT vs PMT is as follows: if a functioning prototype of a technology exists, then that technology can be regarded as MT, and players can choose to use it more broadly than in fact it is used IRL. Holographic communications and display systems do exist IRL in functioning prototype form; therefore, by Auroran standards, they are regarded as MT and can be used more widely than they are IRL. This is what I have done.

Orbital strike weapons, on the other hand, do not exist IRL in prototype form, and so are not MT, and cannot be used at all, or preferably even alluded to.

Since this is not a solely Auroran RP, I'm entirely willing to be flexible about the tech boundaries here, within reasonable limits. But when in doubt, the "functioning prototype test" is where I generally draw the line. Does that make things clearer for you, TECT?

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Norvenia wrote:In Aurora, the rule for MT vs PMT is as follows: if a functioning prototype of a technology exists, then that technology can be regarded as MT, and players can choose to use it more broadly than in fact it is used IRL. Holographic communications and display systems do exist IRL in functioning prototype form; therefore, by Auroran standards, they are regarded as MT and can be used more widely than they are IRL. This is what I have done.

Orbital strike weapons, on the other hand, do not exist IRL in prototype form, and so are not MT, and cannot be used at all, or preferably even alluded to.

Since this is not a solely Auroran RP, I'm entirely willing to be flexible about the tech boundaries here, within reasonable limits. But when in doubt, the "functioning prototype test" is where I generally draw the line. Does that make things clearer for you, TECT?

My sole concern with them was their practicality in these times. I do not doubt that god rods or holograms can exist in MT currently; the difference is that one has been made/tested and the other not. God rods are so loose of a weapon in MT it's like choosing to use laser weapons like in Star Wars; yea sure we're using lasers now more and more but is it practical? Is it possible technologically? Not right now it isn't. The thing about god rods is that they have never been tested, made, or considered because of various reasons; it is good to see we agree on orbital weapons as being PMT and higher.

As I explained above; holograms have been made and used before. They are used less roughly as you are using; but the way you use them has been done -- sort of. As you are aware of im sure -- the closest way used to how you used them has been done sorta on stages to bring to life (if you can consider the bad quality I've seen from it 'life') singers like Tupac to perform songs. Now I wouldn't know without more research but I'd say it has not been used to interact with live and without prior programing; I don't doubt however that if you could do the prior, you could somehow work a live version. That being said -- most people I have discussed this with agree that a super computer is needed for such a device to use. One person who actually works with a super computer laughed at the idea of it being used like how you have. The main reasons as it being laughably huge and prone to problems that need constant servicing. Now you could counter my statement here saying that you've done this by making the computer smaller or whatever. But wouldn't it be easier to just use tablets and other smooth screen devices instead? The technology is not only widely used if not popular; but it is easily possible and a lot cheaper. This was my main concern really with it; that it would be a waste of space, manpower, and safety to use this hologram device rather then a cheaper more proven system.

Personally though: There being just a prototype alone wouldn't change my mind. I would need tests, live action statistics, and actual practical use to decide that. Such as the Iron Dome missile defense system that was proven over last summer and since then; a new system that has proven itself to be an affective missile defense system.

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:11 am

Common Territories wrote:
Norvenia wrote:In Aurora, the rule for MT vs PMT is as follows: if a functioning prototype of a technology exists, then that technology can be regarded as MT, and players can choose to use it more broadly than in fact it is used IRL. Holographic communications and display systems do exist IRL in functioning prototype form; therefore, by Auroran standards, they are regarded as MT and can be used more widely than they are IRL. This is what I have done.

My sole concern with them was their practicality in these times. I do not doubt that god rods or holograms can exist in MT currently; the difference is that one has been made/tested and the other not. God rods are so loose of a weapon in MT it's like choosing to use laser weapons like in Star Wars; yea sure we're using lasers now more and more but is it practical? Is it possible technologically? Not right now it isn't. The thing about god rods is that they have never been tested, made, or considered because of various reasons; it is good to see we agree on orbital weapons as being PMT and higher.

As I explained above; holograms have been made and used before. They are used less roughly as you are using; but the way you use them has been done -- sort of. As you are aware of im sure -- the closest way used to how you used them has been done sorta on stages to bring to life (if you can consider the bad quality I've seen from it 'life') singers like Tupac to perform songs. Now I wouldn't know without more research but I'd say it has not been used to interact with live and without prior programing; I don't doubt however that if you could do the prior, you could somehow work a live version. That being said -- most people I have discussed this with agree that a super computer is needed for such a device to use. One person who actually works with a super computer laughed at the idea of it being used like how you have. The main reasons as it being laughably huge and prone to problems that need constant servicing. Now you could counter my statement here saying that you've done this by making the computer smaller or whatever. But wouldn't it be easier to just use tablets and other smooth screen devices instead? The technology is not only widely used if not popular; but it is easily possible and a lot cheaper. This was my main concern really with it; that it would be a waste of space, manpower, and safety to use this hologram device rather then a cheaper more proven system.

Personally though: There being just a prototype alone wouldn't change my mind. I would need tests, live action statistics, and actual practical use to decide that. Such as the Iron Dome missile defense system that was proven over last summer and since then; a new system that has proven itself to be an affective missile defense system.

Well, okay then. I'm no longer completely sure how this discussion relates to the thread at hand, and I'm really not that interested in debating these issues with you in any more abstract sense. So unless there's something that still bothers you about this story in particular, I'll be moving on.

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:04 pm

RL is hitting me very hard right now, quite literally; I've managed to acquire a mild concussion. So I can't promise when I'll get replies up, but I am keeping track of everyone who needs a response. It's a-coming.

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:26 am

Once this confrontation with the pirates plays out, I think it may make sense to assume that the First Global NIG has rounded the southern coast of Ceti and is approaching its next crisis point - international waters between Ceti and East Klamath. Any objections?

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:54 am

Norvenia wrote:Any objections?

Lack of snacks in the break room is a little disappointing, but other than that, nothing.
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:21 am

Jedoria wrote:
Norvenia wrote:Any objections?

Lack of snacks in the break room is a little disappointing, but other than that, nothing.

Have a carrot, Gogo.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:28 am

Norvenia wrote:
Jedoria wrote:

Have a carrot, Gogo.

I like you.
― Ernst Toller

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Fri May 09, 2014 4:39 pm

So: a couple clarifications.

First: when Griffiths asks for Cornellian/Auroran democracies to advise him on the route of the First Global NIG and on their foreign policy priorities, you can either post informally here, send me a TG, or type up an official document and post it to the IC. Any of the three is fine by me.

Second: here is a link to a slightly more clear copy of the speech. It's a very important speech. You will probably have to refer back to it. This is, in short, a good link to have.

Third: any questions can either be sent to me by TG, or asked here. If you see this, and suspect that other people in the IC may not have, then please notify them of this post.

Thank you!

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Thu May 29, 2014 8:49 am

Shit's going down. God help us all.
― Ernst Toller

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Sat May 31, 2014 9:53 pm

Rest easy, Scott Burleigh.
― Ernst Toller

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents