NATION

PASSWORD

Post-Apocalyptic Strategy RP?

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Olthenia
Senator

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Post-Apocalyptic Strategy RP?

Postby Olthenia » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:55 pm

I'm curious; is anyone out there keen on doing a strategy role-play in a generic post-apocalyptic setting? Our nations wouldn't be nations per see, but rather pockets of heavily-armed descendants of survivors from a single nation, skirmishing for control of the irradiated country once inhabited by their forefathers. Think Fallout 3, Threads, Mad Max and Kurt Vonnegut's novel Slapstick for an idea of what I'm after.

Here are some examples of the various factions I think would be interesting to see in a game like this:

- The few, well-equipped descendants of an old military unit, holed up in a well-defended bunker or hidden military base.

- The band of vicious raiders who extort outlying settlements and terrorize the wasteland from their stronghold in an old inner-city mall.

- The tight-knit group of religious zealots held together by a single charismatic individual and her vision of a new utopia.

- The survivours who banded together for protection and formed their own debased city-state within a network of irradiated subway tunnels.

- The hencemen of a ruthless merchant despot who guard the only working freshwater derric for miles in every direction.

What do you think, guys?

PS: Is anyone out there good at making maps? I'd do it myself, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, and I'd rather not botch it.

IC Thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29235
Last edited by Olthenia on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:25 am, edited 7 times in total.

Aima Tomeis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Sounds like fun to me

Postby Aima Tomeis » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:02 pm

I actually thought up a criminal, paramilitary faction in my nation last night. This sounds like it could be fun, and also be a way for me to develop said faction. I'm in, if you wanna do it!

New Velgast
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Velgast » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Yeah I'll do it. Ima go with the military thing
Bottle wrote:You should believe in God if:
-You are not capable of being a moral person without some sort of parent-figure keeping watch on you.
-You do not feel empathy.
-You are not capable of finding joy in life without some outside source providing it to you.
-You cannot find a purpose for yourself.
-You have a crippling fear of death that you aren't able to overcome.
-You are unable to understand science, and thus are not able to understand any of the natural explanations for the natural world.

The Deus Corporation
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Deus Corporation » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:07 pm

Olthenia wrote:I'm curious; is anyone out there keen on doing a strategy role-play in a generic post-apocalyptic setting? Our nations wouldn't be nations per see, but rather pockets of heavily-armed descendants of survivors from a single nation, skirmishing for control of the irradiated country once inhabited by their forefathers. Think Fallout 3, Threads, Mad Max and Kurt Vonnegut's novel Slapstick for an idea of what I'm after.

Here are some examples of the various factions I think would be interesting to see in a game like this:

- The few, well-equipped descendants of an old military unit, holed up in a well-defended bunker or hidden military base.

- The band of vicious raiders who extort outlying settlements and terrorize the wasteland from their stronghold in an old inner-city mall.

- The tight-knit group of religious zealots held together by a single charismatic individual and her vision of a new utopia.

- The survivours who banded together for protection and formed their own debased city-state within a network of irradiated subway tunnels.

- The hencemen of a ruthless merchant despot who guard the only working freshwater derric for miles in every direction.

What do you think, guys?

i like the water derrick thing. so yeah i'll join

Aima Tomeis
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aima Tomeis » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:13 pm

the shadow are your gangsters, terrorizing outlying colonies and extorting supplies.

EDIT: shadow being my group
Last edited by Aima Tomeis on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bazatia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bazatia » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:18 pm

i think that sounds fun, I would like to be the survivors in the subway.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard
Tsaraine wrote:Somewhere in Philadelphia, one school administrator has just smacked another school administrator upside the head. "Damnit, Jenkins! I told you we should just have gone with chastity belts!"

98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Great! I think the application should look something like this:

Faction's full name:
Faction's short name:
Your faction's capital:
Faction leader’s name and title:
Military strength:
General population:
A short summary of your faction's history:

Tech levels:
I want this to be a world where food and resources are scarce. For those living beyond the major settlements, every day is another hardscrabble fight to survive. Disease is rampant. Uncontaminated water is a luxury. I don't think anyone other than the most militaristic factions will have access to any significant amount of firearms. Remember, this game takes place about 100 years after the bombs fell. Most gunshops've been closed for a while. Raiders, bandits and most people out there are armed with crossbows, zipguns, makeshift javelins and clubs.

Population:
Gasoline is hoarded for precious generators and the most desperate emergencies. As a result of all this, maintaining a population of more than a few thousand just isn't possible. Agrochemicals, fertile farmland and hospitable climates are things of the past, and the armed forces your faction maintains should reflect this. There will be a limit on population size. Anything below 7,000 is perfect, and anything above 12,000 will be rejected.

Mutations:
I know we've all become aquainted with the sort of radioactivity that causes horrible mutations, glowing green skin and exponential growth through various sources of pulp fiction, but I want my game to take a slightly diferent approach to that. Yes, the world our survivours live it was destroyed by nuclear holocaust, but the sort of radiation they're faced with isn't the kind that turns you green and super strong. It's the kind that turns you very sick and very dead, very fast.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Application:

Faction's full name: The Lord's Chosen
Faction's short name/nickname: The Chosen, The Eugees
Your faction's headquarters: Gila Flats Airforce Base
Faction leader’s name and title: Father Eugene Waller
Military strength: 700
General population: 3500 souls
A short summary of your faction's history: In the smoking ruins of the Gila Flats Airforce base, Eugene Waller's great-great grandfather led a ragged band of survivors to found a church above the base's old nuclear shelters. Today, a century later, with faith as their weapon and Father Waller as their messiah, the Chosen of Gila Flats have carved out a tiny kingdom from the foothills around the old base. Resources are scarce however, and Eugene has realised that his followers must either expand or perish in the wasteland dust.
Last edited by Olthenia on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:59 am, edited 5 times in total.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Double post.
Last edited by Olthenia on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:52 pm

Tripple post.
Last edited by Olthenia on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Quadruple post.
Last edited by Olthenia on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Bleh.
Last edited by Olthenia on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordonisia
Ambassador

Founded: May 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gordonisia » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Faction's full name: the Swarm
Faction's short name: each individual zombie is a "bug"
Your faction's capital: roam the wastelands and occasionally attack towns
Faction leader’s name and title: the Patriarch (the smartest and strongest among them)
Military strength: countless mutants
General population: maybe a billion (unless that's too much)
A short summary of your faction's history: after the nuclear holocaust, those who weren't immediately killed by the war were mutated by the exposure to the radiation. their skin turned a brownish-green color, and it is incredibly tough. their physical strength has also been increased dramatically. their intelligence, on the other hand, has dropped considerably. their only goal is to feed off all lifeforms

think the Flood from Halo, except they don't take over other people
Last edited by Gordonisia on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We have the best Congress that money can buy" -Will Rogers

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:03 pm

Faction's full name: The Knights of Cydonia
Faction's short name: Knights, Cydonians, KoC
Your faction's capital: Cydonia
Faction leader’s name and title: Lord James 'Jim' Bones
Military strength: 300 (almost all citizens have weapons training, particularly the men, but only 300 serve in the active militia at once. The rest are called up as needed.)
General population:2150
A short summary of your faction's history: The KoC began as part of a wider secret society, whose name is now lost. Shortly before the society's' plan to bring about a new world order came to fruition, the KoC began to stockpile supplies under a villiage known as Cydonia out in the desert. When the society's plan backfired and caused a nuclear war, the KoC were in a perfect place to survive. And they did, for quite some time, only going out to keep an eye on the surrounding areas. Now, however, their supplies are running out, and they need to start getting more, any way they can. Because of their history, the KoC are experts at infiltrating other groups, and are skilled marksmen.

Note that there is a bunker complex under Cydonia.

Pro's
Large numbers of ancient (1700-1800) weapons
Good disclipline and organization
Good Defensive postion
Excellent intelligence capabilities

Cons
Low mobility, no vehicles and few horses-camels
Low anti-vehicle firepower, only a dozen or so RPG type weapons.
Relatively small size.
Lack of modern weapons (only a few modern rifles)
Last edited by Bavin on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Aima Tomeis
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aima Tomeis » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:52 pm

Faction's Full Name: Shadows of Hellfire
Faction's Nickname: the Shadow
Headquarters: Lord's Bungalow in Olympus City
Faction Leader's Name/Title: Alexander the Oracle
Military Strength: Four hundred lethal smugglers
General Population: One thousand beneficiaries
Summary: The Shadows are the leftover drug and arms smugglers from before the Bombs. As soon as the first bomb fell, Shadow centralized their stockpile and cut off sales. Unfortunately, much of the ammunition saved by doing this was expended repelling angry customers and invaders, so rifles are given only to the most skilled. Those that have the guns are, by extreme necessity, excellent marksmen and rarely fail to kill with a single bullet.

However, the entire Shadow operation is cunning. The vast stockpiles of drugs can be burned as fuel for forges, modified generators, or even improvised weaponry, though after so long the drugs are running out. Every drop of water that can be salvaged is filtered, purified, used, then recycled. Water is not a critical concern to the Shadow (though it is still very precious), as there are gruesome ways the liquid can be had.... What is a major concern to the group is food. With nearly nothing to hunt in the desecrated landscape, and only the food each man already had, it is on the mind of every Shadow.

Exposure to dangerously elevated levels of radiation manifests in the form of increased adversity to the sun. As a result, all fourteen hundred in the faction must stay sheltered as much as possible during times of high sun and search and scavenge at night.

To state simply:
Pros-
    Cunning
    Skilled marksmen
    Can improvise weapons
Cons-
    Adversity to sun
    Dwindling ammunition/fuel supplies
    Nearly empty food reserve
Status-
    Ferocious, desperate for food and shelter with nothing to lose
Last edited by Aima Tomeis on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aima Tomeis
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aima Tomeis » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:54 pm

Also, Olthenia, I'm not a skilled cartographer ( :p ) but I could whip up a functional, if not pretty, map if no one else feels like jumping on that.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:41 am

Gordonisia: Rejected. Your faction can't be a billion zombified flesheating bugmen, that's just too farfetched. Take a peek at the opening post to learn about population levels and the way this game treats radiation.

Bavin: Accepted. I listened to the Knights of Cydonia just the other day. Expect a telegram about those bunkers you mentioned.

Aima Tomeis: Accepted. Sounds like the Shadow is going to be a thorn in the side of anyone who wants to control the wasteland. And if you can make a map, by all means go ahead.
Last edited by Olthenia on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:10 am

Bump.

Bazatia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bazatia » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Faction's full name: The Colonists of Coloradia
Faction's short name: The Colonists
Your faction's capital: Stirlingia
Faction leader’s name and title: Mayor Drake
Military strength: 400 (Most males have combat training, but are only called on in the greatest of emergencies.)
General population:2500
A short summary of your faction's history: After a group of surivors took shelter in a fallout shelter in Stirlingia, they banded together to create a colony. They expanded the shelter, and using the knowledge of some of their inhabitants, have managed to make some improvised weapons and harvest limited electricity from an underground river located near the shelter. They have some water supplies from the river, but they don't have access to many food supplies, so food resources are tight. The radiation has damaged their eyes, and have very limited vision at night.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard
Tsaraine wrote:Somewhere in Philadelphia, one school administrator has just smacked another school administrator upside the head. "Damnit, Jenkins! I told you we should just have gone with chastity belts!"

98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig.

Gordonisia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordonisia » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:43 pm

Ok sorry. I'll take a peek at the post and resubmit :)

Gordonisia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordonisia » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:57 pm

Faction's full name: the Blood Brothers
Faction's short name: the Brothers
Your faction's capital: roam the wastelands and roads
Faction leader’s name and title: Dexter "Dex" O'Keefe
Military strength: 300 (divided into "packs")
General population: no civilians
A short summary of your faction's history: After the war, these hardened criminals and ex-soldiers united as a band of raiders. They mercilessly attack the poor and defenseless. It is not uncommon for them to burn a town to the ground... after taking all that is valuable, of course. Untrusting and trigger-happy (although they only have a few salvaged guns), these barbarians have become more aggressive as their supplies dwindle.

Aima Tomeis
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aima Tomeis » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:25 pm

I can definitely get a map going Olthenia. With your description, I'm envisioning mostly flat, desert type terrain surrounding the burned out remnants of a city. Maybe some distant mountain ranges. I'll get started with that.

Caledonia96
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Caledonia96 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:49 pm

Faction's full name: Valley Federation
Faction's short name:ValFed
Your faction's capital:Great Falls
Faction leader’s name and title:John Carson (Chief Executive Officer)
Military strength: 3-400
General population:9-11000
A short summary of your faction's history: After the War, a small group of farmers managed to get to the Valley, a fabled land of peace where the radiation clouds supposivly bypassed it. As they arivved, the fable was disspeled. The vally was just as bad, if not worse, than the lands they traveled to get to it. However, at the end of their strength, they decided to settle, as the valley used to be fertile farmland and was very isolated. Over the next hundred years, the valley became fairly-well-developed and a center (locally) of civilization.
Tech levels:
civilian-wise, its the equivalent of post-reconstruction south, with ex-nationals sharecropping and the landowners are craftsmen. old cars still exist, but are typicly harvested for parts. Military-wise, steel plants are popping up, producing sabers. Spark-gap radios are available for only the rich. Weapons vary, but tiger claws and sabers predominate. Breech-loading flintlocks are beginning to appear.

Population: 3,000 citizens, 5,000 ex-nationals
Mutations:
Radiation sickness occurs in 3 stages:
1: High fever, cannot control bodily functions.
2: deep coma, heart rate 20-30 rpm.
3: Wakes, body parts falling off, almost like leprosy. Subject dies after 1-3 hrs.

Non-lethal mutations include leathery skin and membrane oxidation (can take in water and air through skin, however, 1 in ten cannot breathe normally). Exellent eyesight as well.

Pros: Eyesight is amazing, has limited infared capability.
Can breathe underwater
Cons: Almost deaf, must rely on sight.
Mumble a lot.
Last edited by Caledonia96 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:51 pm

Faction's full name: The Zepplins
Faction's short name/nickname: The Zepps
Your faction's headquarters: The Haven
Faction leader’s name and title: Tyler Chawk
Military strength: All the men so about 550
General population: 1000
A short summary of your faction's history: Founded Hundreds of years ago by a group of wanderers who found rock poster. On the top was Led Zepplin's name but the Led part of worn away. Seeing as the only one who could read said it meant a force from above (partially true) they accepted the name for the group. Then the nomads kept walking until they found a theatre with the show going to be a Led Zepplin rememberance group. There was posters and the broken sign above said the name aswell. The group taking it as a sign fortified thier place thier and have lived there ever since.
And so it was, that I had never changed.

Rupeslonga
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rupeslonga » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Faction's full name: Remnants of Rupeslonga
Faction's short name:ROR.
Your faction's capital: Greyshield Palace of Rupeslonga
Faction leader’s name and title: Theron Greyshield
Military strength: 400
General population: 400
A short summary of your faction's history
The ROR consists of the Leader of Rupeslonga and a select few of the surviving generals and leaders of his military. They are held up in the torn-apart Palace of Rupeslonga where they are fighting raiders and citizens who are trying to steal the Lord's ration supplies. They are only a small population since they are scarce supplies left.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation.

Embassy:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=350298&p=25624436#p25624436

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Aima Tomeis wrote:I can definitely get a map going Olthenia. With your description, I'm envisioning mostly flat, desert type terrain surrounding the burned out remnants of a city. Maybe some distant mountain ranges. I'll get started with that.

Put Cydonia in the foothills of the mountians.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents