NATION

PASSWORD

The Strike that Kills... (FT. Attn SWG)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

The Strike that Kills... (FT. Attn SWG)

Postby Godular » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:27 pm

In spite of how things had progressed that day, Merle was relieved when he set foot in the bar and escaped the torrential downpour. A swift scan of the establishment suggested that the evening rush had yet to begin, and that aside from the irritating squeak of some statically-charged yellow rodent prancing and dancing on one patron's table, he would be able to seethe with impotent rage in relative silence.

The information his people had gathered on the Coredians and their eccentricities had not prepared him for the reality. Freaky bastards, one and all. But in one way they had a common trait with the other governments he had attempted to speak to: After hearing his story, they had all but laughed him off the stand. He would have thought by at least the fifth time somebody would have taken him seriously, and that of all the people he spoke to it would be the Coredians that might take notice of the implications, but the memory of a mortal is short indeed when measured against the centuries.

He took a seat in an isolated corner of the bar, far removed from the insipid gesticulations of the nauseatingly cute little dynamo. A waitress who might have been considered cute by the standards of her own species materialized at his side and he asked if the bar had any of his favorite brandy in stock. It was a widely traded drink throughout this arm of the galaxy, so he was at the same time surprised and not at all surprised when he learned that they did not carry that particular brand. The waitress suggested that there was another brandy that could do the trick if they dropped a cinnamon stick in it. Bereft of secondary options, he accepted her suggestion and was surprised that the cobbled beverage was damn near indistinguishable from the other drink. He even had a makeshift stirring rod.

Figured. These people would know their 'herbs'. He nursed his drink and puttered about with his datapad while other patrons made their way into the bar. Persistence would win through, but he was running low on money. Pretty soon he would have to return to what was left of his own people and report that even in the face of what had happened to them, nobody cared.

The seven systems of the Scorianth Confederacy may have been a backwater area, but it was a backwater that once had a population of thirty billion, and nobody cared.

Truth be told, he was torn between laughing and crying at the whole situation. Sure that either outburst would be as fruitless as his entreaties to the other six governments he had spoken to, he took another drink and winced in displeasure as a gleeful screech reached his ears, the result of that yellow rodent being presented with yet another of its favorite treats.

In his displeasure, his eyes closed but a moment. When they opened again, a cloaked and hooded figure stood by his table. He stood such that he could not see the newcomer's face, or make out much else about him aside from the fact that he was short but remarkably broad shouldered.

"Whaddya want?" Merle asked testily. His was not a particularly friendly form of drunk, though he still had a long way to go yet.

"Care if I sit here?" The newcomer's voice was surprisingly pleasant, and possessed of an accent he could not identify.

"Plenty of empty booths. What's so special about this one?"

"You."

That rattled him. He stared at the newcomer with a new focus, trying to recall if he had met this man somewhere. "Who..."

"Unimportant, though you may call me Sirzan. Drinks are on me, if you should care to grace me with a story or two."

Somewhat thrown by the attention and calm demeanor of the man who called himself Sirzan, he gestured to the other seat. "You with the government?"

"No, but I was present at your hearing. Their reaction was... unjust, to say the least."

"Spat on the graves of women and children, they did."

"A succinct and effective analogy."

Merle shook his head, clearing the cobwebs from his head. "Enough of that, what do you want? If you were at the hearing, you heard my story."

"And I know that hearing is the reason you are here now drowning your sorrows in a passable facsimile of Correllian brandy. Your plea may have fallen upon deaf or dumb ears-- who can tell these days, am I right?-- but that does not discount the possibility of an interested party being present on the side."

"And you are one of them 'interested parties'?"

"A representative, yes. I would like to know more about the assault that so thoroughly devastated your people. Such a terrible subject though it might be to discuss over drinks." The waitress appeared the same way Sirzan had, and disappeared once the hooded man made his order. People around here seemed to enjoy sneaking up on people. Creepers. "I feel for your loss. To witness the destruction of one's homeworld is... an experience few can truly understand."

A beer with a straw drifted into Merle's field of view as he gave the hooded man a speculative look. "So what do you want to know? You heard my testimony, I don't know what else you want me to say."

"You never said who committed this crime."

"I don't know. They didn't have markings on their ships."

"You must have suspicions."

"I... do... but I found through hard experience that my suspicion was best left unsaid."

"No harm can come of it now. It is of interest to us."

"They would have laughed me out even faster... but you're right. I've already been shooed away like a stray animal. What harm can there be? I didn't see any markings on their ships, but if I were to trust my suspicions, I'd say it was Godulans."

"Godulans? But they've been gone for decades, maybe centuries!"

"Our worlds were close enough that we had detailed information about their vessels. Though our worlds were devastated from afar, as our forces were chased out of Scoria Prime we were lucky enough to catch one of the black ships in profile against our burning world."

He handed Sirzan his datapad and pressed a couple buttons, bringing up the picture he described. "The vessel is heavily modified, these protrusions here and here, I don't know what those are... but the vessel's frame, I remember that from my studies. That's a Godulan Mako."

"Why would Godulans do this though? They abhorred such slaughters."

"And yet their Kython ships had such pleasant names as 'Slaughterkings', 'Deathlords', and 'Slaughterstars'. Still, they never bothered us and seemed content to keep to themselves. Then, after that Tenetia debacle so long ago, they just... vanished. Nobody even knows what happened to their star systems! So calling my story far-fetched is putting it lightly now. An entire people, wiped out by space-ghosts! Who could take that seriously?"

Sirzan took a sip of his beer through his straw, careful not to move his hood overmuch. "We do, dear friend. We take it quite seriously."

His other hand lashed out and caught Merle's hand in a grip as strong as iron and just as cold. Merle tried to pull away, but found himself paralyzed when the hood came up just enough to reveal a pair of eyes glowing a sickly green. "No... I don't understand... what..."

"You have provided us with a remarkably clear window into the politics of this galaxy. Such loss and war as the destruction of even a few worlds warrants little notice."

Merle could only stammer as the significance of the green eyes and what Sirzan was saying fell into place. "Why did you do it? We did nothing to you."

"You existed. For the purposes of our mistress, that is enough. For what little it may be worth to you, it was nothing personal."

"Are you going to kill me?"

"Yes. Rejoice, for in your death, your wish shall be granted. Others will pay attention. They will know of the passing of the Scorianth Confederacy. They will understand."

The pain of the Godulan's grip was unbearable, yet Merle couldn't flinch against that unwavering glare. The eyes began to glow more brightly and then, at the very end, the glare wavered --as if something within had disconnected-- and he heard two last strangled words from the Godulan, loud enough to be heard across the bar:

"Help. Us."

An instant of pain and a sense of billions of slashing knives, and nothing more. The shatterspace anomaly was merciful, that way.
Last edited by Godular on Wed May 21, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

CoreWorlds
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby CoreWorlds » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:18 pm

Fourside, United States of EaglelandImage, Edifice, Elemental Nations of Coredia, Milky Way Galaxy, That Strange, Wondrous and Heartrending Corner of the Universe

Time and space tore apart, leaving wreckage in the walls of reality and many patrons believing they're seeing purple polka dot kittens laughing out loud. Then it collapsed, leaving death and destruction in the famous Jackie's Cafe. Famous for being the site of more than one eldritch incursion ever since the legendary hero Avatar Ness closed the first portal to Moonside, a city which should not exist, but does. Famous for its Coffee with a Buzz, an alcoholic beverage with a strong taste of coffee. Or maybe a coffee with a strong alcoholic content. In the United States of EaglelandImage, it's often hard to tell. The people are nice, but just that strange.

And if you're wondering why there's always a red, white and blue flag with a picture of an eagle crying everywhere you can see, it's the flag of the country, created to commemorate the lives lost in the Eldritch War. It's bit narmy these days, but what can you do when oldtimers never let up a chance to tell you what they did way back when?

Back to Jackie's Cafe and the strange and reality-tearing explosion. The authorities were quick to pull out all the stops, calling in the Military Corps to handle the situation and sending the injured and suddenly mentally unstable to Fourside General Hospital while the authorities handled the crime scene with all the professionalism they could handle.

"No! I will not have the Onett Police Department send in a shipment of road blocks. We have enough as it is and I'm not going to be party to their attempt to go for the Guinness Galactic Record for the thousandth time straight!" A tall woman in a navy blue military-style uniform and a greatcoat shucked around her shoulders shouted into a mobile. One would note that she also possesses a sword, a rapier in fact. One wonders why she's carrying a sword in the age of lasers and death meteors. The answer comes quickly. "And if they disturb me again with their insipid requests, I will have Iron Fist blow their headquarters to kingdom come!"

No one is brave enough to tell Internal Security Corps Captain Kyoto Amarashika she can't do it in her face. Even bullets and lasers are too afraid to go up against her! It helps that she's also a master of the fencing arts and is quick enough to swat said bullets out of the air, though she eschews the more esoteric abilities her colleagues possess in exchange for being absolutely ruthless in the field.

Normally, explosions in a cafe is handed off to the local authorities. Usually, it turns out to be a local terrorist group who's only fate is to be a punching bag for the local Genin Team who happens to be in the area, with support from a nearby carrier battle group or army base if they proved particularly ornery. But this time...

"So, do you have anything?" Captain Amarashika hissed as a Science Corps egghead reported the preliminary results.

"Science does not hurry itself." The lab-coated fella said, pushing up his glasses as he tinkered with a variety of strange tools. To his credit, he managed to keep himself together. "But as a matter of fact, I have a preliminary analysis of the explosion...and it's unlike anything I've ever seen before. It has characteristics of a dimensional breach and my instruments here has indicated that reality was indeed torn apart in a spherical shape before reconstituting itself. A damaging sight indeed, if the hospitalized mental patients are any indication. But...the instruments revealed energy spikes unlike anything else I've ever seen. I'll need to have further talks with the rest of my colleagues at the Science Corps before I do anything else."

"Very well. In the meantime, I shall peruse the security vids and determine what happened here. With luck, we can find out and I can get back to the Quark case." She answered, her greatcloak swirling as she turned away.

As it turned out, the security videos and surviving witnesses gave her enough testimony to identify the victim as an alien from a supposedly dead species who came to the Diplomatic Corps seeking aid or something. The guy's story was written down for record's sake, but he was simply brushed off because the Elemental Nations had other things to worry about than some empire killing some other empire for shits and giggles. It happens all the time in the universe, after all, and only the bleeding hearts really cared about such things.

But when the victim is murder-- scratch that, murder-suicided-- in broad daylights by the perp using unknown dimensional abilities for no other reason than to send a message of help...and a rather insane message of help it is...the Elemental Nations cannot help but start to care, if only because it doesn't want to be blindsided by a sudden invasion of interdimensional nasties. The last time it happened was bad enough, after all.

Just one question.

"Who the fuck are the Godulans and why do they want our help?"

Perhaps the victim's ship can shed light on the subject. Otherwise, there's only one way to answer that question and the good Captain knew it. Walk enough streets and beat enough bushes and the answers will eventually come out, even if it's something she won't like. And she had a feeling she won't like it.
Last edited by CoreWorlds on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:34 pm

The Scorianth ship seemed a lot like any other vessel of its type, if somewhat Spartan in accomodations. If one had to venture a guess, the vessel might have been military in origin though built for a non-combat purpose. It had berths for three, though only one showed any signs of use. As one of the officers poked his head in to survey the mussed up bunk and alien military and civilian clothes arranged neatly in the small wardrobe, a small furry creature emerged from under the bed and hopped towards the officer for a moment.

At first it looked happy at the possibility of its presumed owner's return, but when the creature looked up and noticed that the new arrival looked nothing like what it was used to, it stopped and stared at him. The expression on its face was... creepy.

"Aw hell... looks like it knows its trainer isn't coming back."

Another officer poked his head in and quirked an eyebrow. "Cute little shit though, isn't it?"

A voice echoed from down the corridor. "I'm in the computer! You lot are gonna want to see this!"

As the other officers arrived on the bridge, the third officer beckoned them over. "I didn't even need a password, just turned the damn thing on and boom. Most of this stuff is gibberish to me though, guess they never felt the need to use Galach with their vessels. Aside from basic navigation and ship maintenance like life support and fuel monitoring and whatnot, this computer only has one program tied to it... looks like he was trying to assemble some kind of highlight footage of his homeworld."

"Anything interesting?"

"Not really, pretty standard fare for a travel brochure. Here's a beach, there's a mountain, here's a local with a spiffy drink just for you, woo." He tapped a few spots on the main screen and brought up a new file. "Think this is what we were really looking for."

"Why, it doesn't have a picture on the front?"

"No, its in our language."

The screen lit up with Merle's face as he adjusted the position of whatever he was using to film himself. The instant he leaned back, a giant blotch of fur appeared on the screen and the alien cursed in his own stilted language for a moment. The fur vanished and was soon replaced with Merle gently shooing the strange furry creature away, as if annoyed by its presence but mindful of some kind of fragility. With a sigh, the alien sat back down and looked at the camera.

"So... if you're watching this, it means that you either believed my story enough to request more information, or I'm dead. If you believed me, I would have edited this out, so... I hope I at least killed the bastard that killed me. Morbid, no? It would have been better than what my people got."

The screen jumped a bit and showed that several hours had passed.

"So, I thought I'd be ready to detail what happened a bit more, but its hard to talk about your homeworld and your people in the past tense without getting emotional one way or the other. So I thought I'd just focus on the facts of the matter.

"My name is Merle, I served in the Scorianth Naval Forces with a rank that has no direct translation in your words, but I would approximate as 'lower-middle-rank'... our rank systems had different terminologies for different disciplines, and I was an engineer. Specifically, I was a damage control section commander.

"As a people, we kept to ourselves. We colonized other worlds both to avoid overcrowding and also to establish full self-sufficiency, and we were pretty good at what we did. We traded once in a while, though our closest neighbors in the galaxy in recent memory were the Chiss, and they were never all that talkative. More of a 'take your stuff and leave' type of people. Suited us fine. So there you go. That was us. If you want to know more about what our worlds were like, I made a few albums of what images I could cobble together of our worlds. I can never give much time to them... hard not to get emotional about it.

"As for our people? What's the point? Anyway. Things happened in the Galaxy, we mostly didn't care. We just built up our forces and readied ourselves in the event some warmonger or the other tried to snap up our systems. The occasional pirate raids and our counterattacks kept us... what is the word? Frosty? We had all seen combat, in one form or the other.

"So anyway, if you're here, like I said, you either believed me enough that you want to know more or I'm dead. I kept some information out of my testimony because hard experience taught me not to throw out the names of ghosts. Well, here's the information you were looking for or interested in: The Godulans butchered us and we don't know why.

"They had been relative neighbors of ours for several decades, and were content to just leave us alone save for the occasional visitor wanting to learn about 'us'. We liked the lack of contact just fine. Truth be told, I think we were scared of them. You live close enough to see some of their weapons tests and you'd be a little apprehensive too. Sometimes I think they did weapons testing just to see what they were capable of, as if it was some kind of vent for some internalized anger or something. They didn't even care if we were close enough to see the tests. Those weapons were VICIOUS, and they just got worse as time went on. The Coredians had some information on them, so I might not have to mention their Fractal Guns or Quantum Renders, maybe even what they did with their 'kythons' would be in your records... but you never saw the thing...

"We asked one of their visitors about what we had seen and he smiled that weird smile those guys used to do. You might know it. Smug, but a little sad too? 'Mourning Glory', he called it. That was the weapon they tested just before they vanished. And vanished they did. One moment Sealtiel was chatting up a storm, the next he just said 'Oh' and disappeared. Crazy. Even their SYSTEMS vanished.

"Anyway, 'Mourning Glory' as it was called... it does this thing... seems to react to energy fields of any kind. It... takes them. We watched as an Imperial Star Destroyer, looked like it'd been repaired pretty heavily, brought up its shields against a couple Godulan Makos when they took some potshots at it. Then, outta nowhere this energy spike and a beam blacker than space itself zaps the shields. The shields hold. We were like 'What? A Failed Test from the Godulans? Shock! Dismay! The universe is on the way to destruction!'

"I'm totally serious. NONE of their tests had been unsuccessful before. We had seen some pretty spectacular light shows from those guys. This thing though, were were just about to send out a hail saying that we were THOROUGHLY disappointed... and then somebody noticed the ship's shields. They were... shimmering. Then, BOOM... I think the only way I can describe it is if I do this..."

Merle pulled out an empty metal can and held it before the camera. "This is an imperial star destroyer."

He crumpled the can. "This is an Imperial Star Destroyer after Mourning Glory has had its way with it."

"The main power core went almost immediately. THE SHIELDS TOOK IT AND KEPT GOING. Sorry I don't have pictures of it... even though the Godulans never said if we could take pictures or not, any attempt to do so just got us static. Was weird... we could watch it through our hull visible light scanners no problem... but try to record it? Static."

"Anyway... that's Mourning Glory. So the Godulans tested that and disappeared. Didn't hear or see a thing from them until about... well three months before the time of this recording. Middle of session, half our council starts screaming and holding their hands to their ears. All of 'em got the same message: 'We were wrong. By the gods, we were wrong. They yet live. There is no hope for us, but you can still escape. Run. Run. Run. Ru--' and nothing. Didn't hear a thing for the next couple weeks after that... then we started getting odd staticky messages... here, I got some for you."

He pressed a button, and the screen shifted to a grainy picture of... nothing. Softly, as if spoken from a distance, some voice spoke with complete lack of emotion:

"Warni-- recog-- ar criminal-- ish to proceed? --verride recognized. --ename 'Kal'Shazz-- estored to default. Initi-- HELP. US."

"Here's another, tell me this one don't creep you out."

Another sound clip... this one was a garble and jumble of several different voices. Some sobbing, others wailing, and here and there a scream of pain. In the background, another voice laughed... and laughed... and laughed...

"We didn't know what to make of it all," Merle's voice said as the screen switched back to him. "Eventually we just mustered up our forces and prepared for something to happen... we thought we were ready for anything."

A pause as Merle steeled himself for what came next.

"They hit our worlds all at once. We looked at the previous footage... it was synchronized. Asteroids appeared over our worlds, traveling at a tenth the speed of light. They were far enough away though that we were still able to bring up our planetary shields. An asteroid at c-frac? Child's play for the latest planetary shields. You'd be right to assume we weathered that assault just fine. But they WANTED the shields up. Nobody remembered Mourning Glory.

"Black beams... and they took our shields from us. We turned them off, but they did not fade. The populations of our worlds were well and truly snared. Then, I and all of my compatriots got to watch as they made it do something terrible. They made it glow.

"The shields... they turned them into blast furnaces. Our instruments showed that in a matter of seconds the atmosphere had gone to... oh where did I put those conversions... Sixty-Five Hundred degrees kelvin. Roughly as hot as the surface of our sun. Can you imagine that kind of heat coming from just below low orbit? I can only hope that the end was quick for them. When the shields faded, only five minutes later, we detected no life signs. Anything and everything organic had been burned beyond ash. The atmosphere, destroyed. Cities, melted. Water, gone.

"I got to watch as the shield dispersed. It is... I knew where my family used to live. It was molten. All of our worlds, incinerated. Melted.

"THEN their ships came. Just three. Three in each system. Godulan Makos. Heavily modified, they laid waste to our defense forces. Only a few of us managed to escape. One of our battleships had a usable archive that allowed us to figure out what it was that had just killed our people. Mourning Glory. Godulans. They killed us and we don't know why.

"Now we just want to get the word out. The Godulans are back. They are back and their first act when they came back was to murder my people without saying a word as to why.

"My name is Merle Beghara. If you do nothing else, please... remember me. And if I am dead, please take care of Skidge. He's the little furball who might be following you around. He's one of the last of his kind. Don't let him fade like we did. He didn't deserve what happened. Nobody did. Signing off."
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

CoreWorlds
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby CoreWorlds » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 am

"...and that's everything we have." Captain Amarashika said, debriefing the Executive Council on what her men has found in the ship.

"Quite disturbing news, I must admit." The Shogun said. "These Godulans...are a threat to the security of the Elemental Nations."

"I shall have to concur. Except there was that recording of the Godulan asking for help. Why destroy an empire if they were asking for aid from this empire? And review the messages again." The Emperor said, then turned on the images and sounds brought back from the ship. "Something about a criminal. Someone named Kal'Shazz or the like. Then apparently an attempt to restore or override command or control functions. Screams of pain, insane laughter and crying. And of course, the Help Us."

"But what does that all mean, your Majesty?" A councilor member asked.

The Emperor frowned as he analyzed everything that came to him before responding. "Remember the ninja code, that we must see the meaning behind the meaning. It is entirely speculation and I could very well be wrong, but I have come to a preliminary conclusion. Something has taken control of these Godulans. Made them slaves. This empire was likely an initial test of a successful enslavement. Of course, it could be that they've gone on a genocidal campaign and they're using the conflicting message of seeking aid and inflicting destruction as a means to draw in curious but wary nations. Regardless, here is my Edict. You, Captain Amarashika will investigate the Godulans. Take the recordings. Go out into the galaxy and find anyone and everyone who knew of them. Leave no stone unturned and all that. The Internal Security Corps will be in good hands with your Vice Captain. You are the nation's best detective. I know you will succeed."

"You do me credit, your Majesty." Captain Amarashika bowed.

"Bring the Captain of the Science and Technology Corps with you." The Emperor raised a hand to silence her incoming objections. "I know how you feel about him, but we must understand their technology if we are to commence countermeasures. How their Mourning Glory will interact with our Spacetime Shielding technology is something I do not wish to examine first hand if they decide to turn their armies against us. As such, you will have need of his brains as well."

"Very well, but if he starts using his "cuteness" to indulge on mortals, I shall cut him down as many times as I need until he gets the hint. He may be an immortal vampire who doesn't suffer the usual weaknesses, but he will still feel my blade if he falls out of step." Captain Amarashika said, earning dirty looks and mutterings from the kings and presidents on the Council.

"As you will, Captain. You would do it even if I forbid it as your right as Internal Security's head." The Emperor sighed. "Just don't kill him too many times."

"I shall take your request under consideration." Captain Amarashika said. "If there is nothing else, I shall commence the investigation immediately and begin stocking up the Iron Fist for the duration. Captain Jashin Bachtein shall meet me with whatever scientific teams and ships he requires at the outskirts of the Ivalice system. As for my first stop, I shall attend to the scene of the crime itself..."

"Go and Naruto's luck be with you." The Emperor said, his words following the swiftly departing cloak of his Internal Security Captain. "Now, we shall discuss these ramifications and then move onwards to Operations Kadabra and Reaper..."

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:16 pm

It was warmer than before, even months after the event. The now toxic atmosphere was thicker than before, as all the water had been dissociated into its respective components of hydrogen and oxygen with no way to reverse the alteration. Some water had returned, but now there were more dangerous chemicals added to the mix, such as sulfuric, nitric, and carbonic acids and no small concentration of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and hydrogen cyanide. The sky had turned a curious shade of yellow-brown in the aftermath, and no doubt anything that had survived exposure to the incineration would have been destroyed by the atmosphere.

Everything sounded different too. The air was so much denser that sound came through in much the same way as if one were underwater.

For one Godulan, standing upon a small promontory over what used to be the Scorianth capitol city, it was thoroughly entertaining. Educational even! He lamented momentarily how far they had fallen from the time when everything was such a wonder in the universe. After they had withdrawn from the universe in the wake of the fiasco at Tenetia, it was like nothing was worth their interest anymore.

Feh! We just needed to shut up. Let our actions do the speaking, like Talisid did.

A shame we could not recover that one. He put up a valiant fight, short as it was.

More than can be said of the Triad. I thought better of Skye.

Aye. But now the Tyrants rule.

And we are quite thankful for that, hmm?

He sat down on the edge of the half-melted rock upon which he previously stood, gazing up towards the sky.

I wonder when they'll get here?

What does it matter? They ignore the heralds at their own risk. We want them to come, to see what was done, but it is irrelevant.
New to F7? Click here!

CoreWorlds
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby CoreWorlds » Thu May 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Immortal-class Star Destroyer Iron Fist, flagship of the Internal Security Corps

High Orbit over the coordinates

At first, there is nothing.

Then, there is a series of bright blue flashes. Cherenkov radiation crackled and sizzled as a massive dagger shape suddenly resolved itself seemingly out of nonexistence. The dagger glowed a menacing blue color for a few moments as it shook off the cherenkov radiation, then it faded into a midnight blue color that blended well into the background.

A second bright flash resolved into the Science Corps flagship, the Dreamseeker. Additional flashes denoted an escort fleet of several light cruisers and frigates.

"We've arrived in the system, Captain." The Tactical Officer reported. "At the planetary coordinates. We're in high orbit."

"Very good." Captain Amarashika nodded. "Begin scanning the planet."

As the scans went through, the Captain and the bridge crew could immediately see that it is a sobering sight indeed. The atmosphere was dense and poisoned. Water mixed with acids and poisons, and even the clouds showed a sickly yellow color, as if the planet itself is dying.

In a way, it is.

"So the destruction of the planet is at least accurate." Captain Amarashika mused to herself as she panned over the readouts on her personal command screen.

"Atmospheric conditions is consistent with a high-level thermal pulse, enough to melt the entire planetary crust." The Ship's Navigator, part human and part computer intoned. "It appears that 'Mourning Glory' is as lethal as advertised, Captain."

"To conceive of such a technology..." Captain Jashin Bachtein said on one of the screens. To an ordinary person, he looks like a black-haired child, if a child that doesn't get out and play much considering how pale he is. He wears a grey vest over a long-sleeve dress shirt, grey shorts and loafers, but he is anything but a child. It's the red eyes and dark aura that give him away. Vampirism in Coredia doesn't generally have the weaknesses that vampirism in other countries have. For example, holy spells and items do cause harm, but sunlight and running water do nothing to him. Fire can destroy a vampire, but only if the vampire isn't quick enough to project magical shields and they can trade fire with fire as well. And it destroys everything else.

He drinks not the blood, but the lifeforce of others to sustain his powers. The blood is mostly for intimidation and though he doesn't need to, he eats and drinks as well as anyone else. He doesn't need to breath and only needs to sleep once a month. Neither Zero-G space nor toxic atmospheres bother a vampire, though it does get annoying to get pockmarked by random micrometeorites or zapped by cosmic rays. The only way to kill a vampire is one of two ways:

1. Holy weapons. The stronger the faith, the stronger the weapon. One that is weak of faith will not even tickle a vampire, no matter how strong the weapon is. That said, high explosives, especially incendiaries, is generally the way to go, faith or no faith. Otherwise, a vampire can even survive decapitation, though it may take a very long time to regain a new body and there are preservation spells that can keep a vampire from growing, a useful technique for jailing recalcitrant vampires.
2. Resurrection. Resurrection spells reverse the effects of a vampire's undeadness, essentially making the vampire mortal and frail to all the infirmaries of a Coredian mortal. Once resurrected, they can never return to the state of a vampire again. Many vampires are 'sentenced to life' this way when committing crimes.

Otherwise, it takes a Jounin-level agent of the Military Corps or above to take down a vampire, for even the neophytes can pose a serious threat to the Military Corps.

Captain Jashin has been a vampire for well over a thousand years. No one knows if he was a child when turned or got in the way of an anti-aging spell, but either way, he seems to prefer the short and childlike mode of his form. All the better to get closer to his victims, he always maintains.

Lately, he's been on a major science kick, enough to gather an impressive collection of PhDs, write papers such as the Methods of Applied Plancktech Techniques and Quantum Dimensionology and You and generally achieve enough acclaim to make Captain of one of the most prestigious of the Military Corps. It didn't hurt to have enhanced brainpower and eyesight to breeze through all the exams and even the riots surrounding him didn't faze him.

"Ho. I'm going to conduct a deep scan of the area. Quantum level and below." Captain Jashin said, keying in some instructions on the shi's computer. "Brace yourself, Captain! 5. 4. 3. 3. 2.1..."

A feeling not unlike gong reverbs, rips through Captain Amarashika's body, denoting the quantum scan at work. On the level the quantum scans operate, even the superstrings that make up reality can be resolved. All the better to examine the space around and on the planet with the most precise instruments in Coredian hands...

"Now, let's see what we have here." Captain Jashin mused as he examined the data strolling in.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon May 26, 2014 4:50 pm

He exulted, bathing in the light of quantum resonance. Like sheets of rain, the scan passed over his body again and again, and he danced an alien waltz amidst a slowly rising cloud of silica and carbon dust. A mournful melody ran through his amalgamated mind, and escaped from him in the vibrations of his skin. The dense and lukewarm atmosphere served to twist the music further, weaving an eerie melody much akin to a slightly warped record.

His immaculate long black coat more resembled a priest's vestments, and his short-cropped hair wafted in the breeze. His smile was one of extreme pleasure yet also heartbreaking sadness.

Then he turned towards the source of these quantum fluctuations and stared. Long enough to give them a look at his face. A face that, though long forgotten, was indelible in the minds of those who looked upon him.

Torturer. Murderer. Madman. Kal'Shazzar. He who could break a being's will not with pain, but with pleasure and the withholding of that pleasure. He whose pursuit of beauty led to one of the most terrible sentient rights crimes recorded.

He who stood when this world died, and watched all around him turn to ash and dust. He who now danced upon the dust that was their grave.

He brought his hands to his face and gently traced a line from his eyes to his chin with his index fingers. In their wake, lines of sizzling darkness that wept onto the ground and left hissing puddles of something as it evaporated into black mist. His mouth moved, only enough to convey two words in silence.

"We remember."
New to F7? Click here!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents