NATION

PASSWORD

Future Tech Advice and Assistance Thread [O.O.C.]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Reliquary
Attaché

Founded: Oct 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Reliquary » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:11 am

On the topic of biological weapons/technology:

My main FT nation, the Panterran State, goes by a slightly modified version of Clarke's Third Law:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from nature.

To explain a bit better, they don't really recognize a difference between organic and artificial. The way they see, both are simply elements and compounds put together in such a way to form a structure. The fact that some the structures naturally evolved and others were built is irrelevent, especially when you get to the point where muscle fibers are being replaced by carbon nanotubes while wires and circuits are being replaced by masses of neural tissue. Both naturally evolved structures and manmade structures have advantages over the other, and in certain usages one easily trumps the other. The best of both worlds is using each where they are best suited, rather than purposefully limiting yourself to an entirely inorganic robot or an entirely organic soldier.

The Ceph from Crysis are a good example. Also, Peter Watts' Rifter series.

Alternately, ignore me and do whatever.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:28 am

Reliquary wrote:On the topic of biological weapons/technology:

My main FT nation, the Panterran State, goes by a slightly modified version of Clarke's Third Law:

To explain a bit better, they don't really recognize a difference between organic and artificial. The way they see, both are simply elements and compounds put together in such a way to form a structure. The fact that some the structures naturally evolved and others were built is irrelevent, especially when you get to the point where muscle fibers are being replaced by carbon nanotubes while wires and circuits are being replaced by masses of neural tissue. Both naturally evolved structures and manmade structures have advantages over the other, and in certain usages one easily trumps the other. The best of both worlds is using each where they are best suited, rather than purposefully limiting yourself to an entirely inorganic robot or an entirely organic soldier.

Thats because there is none, regardless is there any specific questions you have?

I'm tired so I may have missed them :|
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Alouria
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Alouria » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:31 am

Volesia wrote:
Alouria wrote:snip

Link to the system generator? Looks look it could be useful.

Here. There are quite a few other generators as well, including one for individual Sci-Fi worlds.
Future-Tech puppet nation of Luepola.

Reliquary
Attaché

Founded: Oct 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Reliquary » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:34 am

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
Reliquary wrote:On the topic of biological weapons/technology:

Thats because there is none, regardless is there any specific questions you have?

I'm tired so I may have missed them :|

I was originally responding to
North Calaveras wrote:so im thinking about trying out a new race that is basically reverseed

a sentient machine A.I who uses biological weapons of war(think of humans using drones but reversed)

but then I explained more than was probably required. Regardless, more a suggestion/info than a question.
Last edited by Reliquary on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Volesia
Secretary

Founded: Jan 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Volesia » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:59 am

Alouria wrote:
Volesia wrote:Link to the system generator? Looks look it could be useful.

Here. There are quite a few other generators as well, including one for individual Sci-Fi worlds.

Thanks.

Alidina
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alidina » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:00 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:
Yortini Systems wrote:What's the general consensus on FTL communications? Is that even possible? I'm wondering about using some kind of handwavium to explain it, something like quantum entanglement, but I was wondering if there are any other explanations.
Almost everybody in FT uses FTL comms of some description. That said, to not have communications independently of the drive is perfectly feasible. You'd just have to send all your messages by courier, manned or robotic as takes your fancy.

Yort, Our good friend Dolm doesn't use FTL comms if I remember correctly because it creates more problems and leads to interesting plots that wouldn't have happen otherwise.

Volesia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Volesia » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:10 pm

Alidina wrote:
SquareDisc City wrote:
Almost everybody in FT uses FTL comms of some description. That said, to not have communications independently of the drive is perfectly feasible. You'd just have to send all your messages by courier, manned or robotic as takes your fancy.

Yort, Our good friend Dolm doesn't use FTL comms if I remember correctly because it creates more problems and leads to interesting plots that wouldn't have happen otherwise.

A lack of FTL communications is actually a really interesting idea. Nations could employ messenger ships or probes which could be intercepted in wartime.

Abys
Attaché

Founded: Jan 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Abys » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:42 pm

Alouria wrote:Alright, so I decided to make that puppet I had mentioned.

Anyway, I will start with this: I found a star system generator and created a system for Alouria.

Here is where he found the generator http://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/system/

Does anyone know of some other useful generators like this, they could be helpful for world building. References, generators any resource for helping out would be appreciated.
Last edited by Abys on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Useful post, about Star Systems /Useful tips for new FT players /Useful advice on culture /Ask Any Rping question /FT advice thread / Chat
The Arduous Information Network
Arcus wrote:Launch aluminum into the high atmosphere, block out le sun.
Aby wrote:we will recharge our lasguns by the light of your burning corpses anyway, so who needs the sun

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Check the Resource section of the first post of this thread.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

Alouria
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Alouria » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:29 pm

Well, if no one is going to say anything about my star system, I'll move on to infantry equipment.

My first idea was to employ coilgun tech in my infantry weapons. How feasible is this?
Future-Tech puppet nation of Luepola.

New Tsavon
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Alouria wrote:Well, if no one is going to say anything about my star system, I'll move on to infantry equipment.

My first idea was to employ coilgun tech in my infantry weapons. How feasible is this?

Its about par the course in NSFT.
Ave Nex Alea

Mallorea and Riva should resign

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 pm

Space muskets are the best infantry weapon.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Volesia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Volesia » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:27 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Space muskets are the best infantry weapon.

I love the idea of 18th century type warfare in future tech. Volley firing and trenches are awesome.

Yortini Systems
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yortini Systems » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Alidina wrote:
SquareDisc City wrote:

Oh really? Does he have messenger ships or something? IIRC, Dolm only has one system, so I guess conventional communications are more feasible at that level.
A cactolith is a quasihorizontal chonolith composed of anastomosing ductoliths whose distal ends curl like a harpolith, thin like a sphenolith, or bulge discordantly like an akmolith or ethmolith.

Yortini Systems
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yortini Systems » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:30 pm

I now wish to start working with specs, numbers, etc. since I don't see any FT roleplays in II or NS apart from 'Alius Bene' or something like that, which basically requires detailed info about your nation to join, something that I don't have.

Anyway, I will start with this: I found a star system generator and created a system for Alouria.

I intend for my planet to have fully colonized the solar system but also choose to not look much farther. Reading back earlier in the thread, someone referred to this as a 'Brown-Space Fleet'. That's basically what I'm going for. Any advice so far? If this is all good, then I'm going to venture first into the infantry weaponry of my planet/system's forces (By the way, my species is basically a human-clone race that's mostly Caucasian by our standards).

The only problem I have with it is that the Jovian gas giant is closer to the sun than the terrestrial planet. That's unlikely, since the heat and gravity of the sun would most likely prevent the huge atmospheres that jovian planets have from forming. Look at the Sol system, our solar system, all of the gas giants are far away from the sun, while the terrestrial planets, including Earth are closer.
A cactolith is a quasihorizontal chonolith composed of anastomosing ductoliths whose distal ends curl like a harpolith, thin like a sphenolith, or bulge discordantly like an akmolith or ethmolith.

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:42 pm

Yortini Systems wrote:

I now wish to start working with specs, numbers, etc. since I don't see any FT roleplays in II or NS apart from 'Alius Bene' or something like that, which basically requires detailed info about your nation to join, something that I don't have.

I intend for my planet to have fully colonized the solar system but also choose to not look much farther. Reading back earlier in the thread, someone referred to this as a 'Brown-Space Fleet'. That's basically what I'm going for. Any advice so far? If this is all good, then I'm going to venture first into the infantry weaponry of my planet/system's forces (By the way, my species is basically a human-clone race that's mostly Caucasian by our standards).

The only problem I have with it is that the Jovian gas giant is closer to the sun than the terrestrial planet. That's unlikely, since the heat and gravity of the sun would most likely prevent the huge atmospheres that jovian planets have from forming. Look at the Sol system, our solar system, all of the gas giants are far away from the sun, while the terrestrial planets, including Earth are closer.

Actually, though I'm searching for the article, most extrasolar gas giants are closer to their suns.
Last edited by The Ben Boys on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Yortini Systems wrote:The only problem I have with it is that the Jovian gas giant is closer to the sun than the terrestrial planet. That's unlikely, since the heat and gravity of the sun would most likely prevent the huge atmospheres that jovian planets have from forming. Look at the Sol system, our solar system, all of the gas giants are far away from the sun, while the terrestrial planets, including Earth are closer.

The vast majority of exoplanets that have been found are Jupiter-sized planets orbiting very close to their parent stars. The theory is that while the jovians may have formed out beyond the frost line (ie the line beyond which water and other compounds can form ice grains), they, over the course of their development, migrate into the inner solar system via either interaction with other planetesimals or through the force of accretion into a very tight orbit around the star.

Arkotania
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:17 pm

On communication:

One idea I had bouncing around in my mind was the use of relays. Multiple small self-sustaining(or at least very long-lasting) devices that pretty much float through space. It'd be a system of simply relaying messages from a ship, or planet, to the nearest relay and this relay sends to another. The relays would all be linked together, constantly updating one another. Perhaps on a nearby outpost(on a moon or desolate planet, not somewhere inhabitable), there'd be an artificially intelligent computer maintaining a specific region and all the relays within it(sending out repair bots when necessary, or even creating new relays either to replace lost ones or handle an increase in communication traffic).

Give these relays a simply avoidance system, and some maneuvering thrusters, and they'd be pretty sufficient for those who don't use subspace. However, I wouldn't consider it FTL. There will obviously be some lag as messages transmit, but not of a great time. It'd be a nice alternative to sending out couriers.
Mostly back from a long hiatus from the forums
Arkania 5 wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Matt Ward

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:
Then your testicles become strange tentacles.

And then you make films in Japan.

Ovisterra wrote:
Oceanic people wrote:where lives are at steak

I try not to point out people's spelling errors all the time, but this one was brilliant.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Or maybe NS is also a degraded society.

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab(Arkotania Puppet) wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

The Ben Boys
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:19 pm

Yortini Systems wrote:
Alidina wrote:

Oh really? Does he have messenger ships or something? IIRC, Dolm only has one system, so I guess conventional communications are more feasible at that level.

I use FTL probes that double as comms, piggybacking messages. Not really "conventional" FTL comms (i.e. relatable to radio and such) but still qualifies as comms.

Not having FTL comms is actually easier to picture than some people think. Yortini proposes "messenger ships" but if you look back at communications that colonial empires used from 1600-1860 (or whenever telegraph became popular enough to streamline general communications) they employ cargo, commercial, or military ships to carry letters from the host country to the colony and back again (though this wasn't their set purpose, just an additional job to whatever their mission or trip was to accomplish).

Abys wrote:-snip-

Well, there's always the almighty Wikipedia, which also gives cool stuff on gas giants, moons, planets (more helpful than you would think), and stars. If you really want to go the full monty, try putting in a binary/trinary/quaternary/quintinary/sexternary/septernary star system (and maybe a binary planetary system somewhere, no one ever uses that), or making your colonies chiefly on moons. I usually use these sources at some point or another if I feel particularly bored, otherwise I just wing it or make one to fit a story.

You could also use the downloadable StarGen or the more confusing alternityrpg.

Alouria wrote:-snip-

I just saw two other RPs come up in the last few days, such as this one by Alidina and another by Arkotania which requires more RP info than nation info.

Though I agree the use of "brown space navy" is unfeasible and ineffective, I'm also a big supporter of the Rule of Cool and also unique and new ideas. Though you may have some trouble in military RPs (especially those against other players) you should be fine for most other types as long as there isn't a lot of player-on-player competition involved (i.e. destroying something, obtaining an object, a chase, etc).

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Yortini Systems wrote:The only problem I have with it is that the Jovian gas giant is closer to the sun than the terrestrial planet. That's unlikely, since the heat and gravity of the sun would most likely prevent the huge atmospheres that jovian planets have from forming. Look at the Sol system, our solar system, all of the gas giants are far away from the sun, while the terrestrial planets, including Earth are closer.
Look at numerous other planetary systems and you'll find the opposite.

The message to take from the wide variety of planetary systems we've discovered is that chances are, if you dream up a system for your writing, then yes it's possible. Multiple asteroid belts? Check. A sunlike star with five gaseous planets all closer to it than Mercury is to the Sun? Check. A planet orbiting the binary pairing of white dwarf and neutron star, in the middle of a globular cluster? Check. Two moons sharing the same orbit around their gas giant primary? Check.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Yortini Systems
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yortini Systems » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:38 pm

The Ben Boys wrote:

Actually, though I'm searching for the article, most extrasolar gas giants are closer to their suns.

Ha, what do you know, I'm wrong.

There you have it then, I guess that solar system is ok then.

Why are jupiter and Saturn and Uranus so distant from our sun then?

Yortini Systems
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yortini Systems » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:41 pm

Avenio wrote:

The vast majority of exoplanets that have been found are Jupiter-sized planets orbiting very close to their parent stars. The theory is that while the jovians may have formed out beyond the frost line (ie the line beyond which water and other compounds can form ice grains), they, over the course of their development, migrate into the inner solar system via either interaction with other planetesimals or through the force of accretion into a very tight orbit around the star.

That's very interesting. Forget what I said then.

Yortini Systems
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yortini Systems » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:43 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:Look at numerous other planetary systems and you'll find the opposite.

The message to take from the wide variety of planetary systems we've discovered is that chances are, if you dream up a system for your writing, then yes it's possible. Multiple asteroid belts? Check. A sunlike star with five gaseous planets all closer to it than Mercury is to the Sun? Check. A planet orbiting the binary pairing of white dwarf and neutron star, in the middle of a globular cluster? Check. Two moons sharing the same orbit around their gas giant primary? Check.

Ah that's pretty awesome. I once read a book that took place on a moon that had life, which orbited a brown dwarf, which orbited a red dwarf. Though the heat from the star wasn't enough to warm the moon, the heat from the brown dwarf was.

Space is an awesome place, huh?

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:46 pm

Yortini Systems, as was said by the OP of this thread, there is no need to create three posts with less than five minutes between each other when EDITING your last post would have been more than appropriate. Please remember that this is not a chat thread, and please keep needless spammage to a minimum by posting responsibly, not impulsively.
Last edited by Vocenae on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

The Ben Boys
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:08 pm

Yortini Systems wrote:
The Ben Boys wrote:Actually, though I'm searching for the article, most extrasolar gas giants are closer to their suns.

Ha, what do you know, I'm wrong.

There you have it then, I guess that solar system is ok then.

Why are jupiter and Saturn and Uranus so distant from our sun then?

Well scientists have created many models, postulations, and theories, the dominant one being that our system's formation disc-thingy was "unusually massive" but then our solar system would be much larger than it is... I think. Honestly, the scientific community seems to be stumped as well, as they are more often than not.

Let's just chalk it up to another thing unusual about an already unusual star system. In fact, I'd venture to say that anything that qualifies as a "star system" has something unusual about it.

Packers Nation

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents