NATION

PASSWORD

Future Tech Advice and Assistance Thread [O.O.C.]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperial Nalydya
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nalydya » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:57 am

Kyuria wrote:Errrrr, congrats I guess? Yeah, sure, let's go with that.
Where the hell have I been? I though Kyr already was one??? This paradox bears further investigations,...

That makes the both of us.

*scratches head*
Future Tech & Proud
Imperial Nalydian Military Assessment | Factbook
Observer of the LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES!

RIP: Polar Confederation; Laptev; CAS; FBN

[23:27] <CommunistAndroids> For a second I thought you were a woman and I was confused.
Olimpiada, On the Efficacy of Anti-matter Reactive Armour: "It's so reactive, it reacts your entire regiment into atoms."

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:06 am

As much as I am grateful and appreciative of the various celebratory bouts of "congratulations" and the like, let's remember the purpose of this thread and keep it on topic. ;)

Even so, seriously, thanks to each of you whom have been so warm and welcoming with the "congratulations". I really appreciate it - truly.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:12 pm

On that note, I've been thinking about logistics a lot lately. I feel not enough people pay attention to fleshing out their logistics trains, when in the real world an army owes more of its success to its logistics than to the skill and firepower of its front line military. I've so far been using carriers and mobile shipyards as catchall "logistics" ships; they've thus far filled the roles of troop transport, tender, ammunition ships, scavenger/salvage vessels, and hospital ship. However, I've been recently considering retiring my miirharozt (mothership/carrier) hull and developing a host of more specialized vessels.

So, out of curiosity, how much attention does everyone pay to their logistics, and how do you handle it? Do your fleets operate out of centralised bases, or do they carry along logistics ships with them when out on maneuvers/missions?
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Dirthkos
Attaché

Founded: Apr 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dirthkos » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:22 pm

Feazanthia wrote:On that note, I've been thinking about logistics a lot lately. I feel not enough people pay attention to fleshing out their logistics trains, when in the real world an army owes more of its success to its logistics than to the skill and firepower of its front line military. I've so far been using carriers and mobile shipyards as catchall "logistics" ships; they've thus far filled the roles of troop transport, tender, ammunition ships, scavenger/salvage vessels, and hospital ship. However, I've been recently considering retiring my miirharozt (mothership/carrier) hull and developing a host of more specialized vessels.

So, out of curiosity, how much attention does everyone pay to their logistics, and how do you handle it? Do your fleets operate out of centralised bases, or do they carry along logistics ships with them when out on maneuvers/missions?

I've been trying to put more thought into that as well, and one of the solutions I came up with was to have a ramscoop attached to every ship so fuel could be easy to get, with a technobabble explanation for why it can function at less than one percent of the speed of light. Given the nomadic nature of my nation, that makes sense.

According to atomic rockets, most spare parts can be manufactured by some sort of 3D printer, so that can also be put on the ships themselves.

On the other hand, we also have tenders and mobile shipyards, as well as hospital ships, factory ships, and salvage vessels.

So, in short, our fleets carry along plenty of specialized logistics ships, and attempt to integrate logistical capacity into the frontline ships themselves.
Dio puppet.

Arenumberg
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arenumberg » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:51 pm

Way back when I never really considered logistics, but FT NS was pretty sparse and very few people did. Over time, I've either had it butterflied away like yourself with carriers or magical replication technology.

When I sat down to create the ITA however, I was more learned and actually made a dedicated logistics ship. They are pretty much vital to continued operations but in themselves are not a be all and end all. Capturing infrastructure and maintaining a decent logistics train is something people overlook, and even if they have magical technology or ships dedicated to the matter, its still an element that they should bear in mind. ITA Strategy in their current, albeit, paused conflict meant that targeting infrastructure that would make the war go easier was simply not an option.

On the flip side, capturing some of that infrastructure let them deploy more ships and keep them in the green, including a capital asset. It would be nice to see a bit more of that in conflicts or even considerations for war, even if there isn't much more to it than the mention of it and a little bit of information, it provides a lot more flesh on the bones of protracted campaigns and opens up convoy raiding. rules of engagement, and those sorts of opportunities for roleplay.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Feazanthia wrote:On that note, I've been thinking about logistics a lot lately. I feel not enough people pay attention to fleshing out their logistics trains, when in the real world an army owes more of its success to its logistics than to the skill and firepower of its front line military. I've so far been using carriers and mobile shipyards as catchall "logistics" ships; they've thus far filled the roles of troop transport, tender, ammunition ships, scavenger/salvage vessels, and hospital ship. However, I've been recently considering retiring my miirharozt (mothership/carrier) hull and developing a host of more specialized vessels.

Let me tell you this.

We had a light travel system for a while, and we ended it when we developed FTL because that thing was just asking for us to get our tails bitten, a logistical nightmare past the limit of one system.

When we discovered the Relays, we were like.

"Cool.....but they can use it too...."

We are finicky little ones, our logistic capabilities are limited because we have to use slipspace, its still a development.

While another race can just go through a relay and risk attack to get to a location practically right away, it would take us a week to get to nearby colonies, and a month to far away ones.

Its why we say screw it to not having a defense fleet nearby like the SA in the ME canon, because how they do things is kinda stupid even taking in account of them using relays.

I mean really, who has a fleet centralized at a key point in space? What the fuck are you going to do if say..a pirate force gathers the men, arms and ships needed for a quick, multi system raid...

You'll have to risk sending a fleet to either save one, or split it and risk failing due to numbers and possibly a lost in some logistical capacity. And this shit got the SA their asses hit harder by the Reapers, the Turians? They were prepared, they had fleets awaiting, and they were able to coordinate at their colonies faster.

So fuck that, its dramatic irony taken to 11, but shit....

I trade one weakness for another, I trade stupid defense, for slower response.

I'll detail later, but basically I have a slow logistical chain from system to system, at least the farther up it goes, and thats for a bit into the future.

Right now I don't have a lot of colonies as to where it will take a while, but I will.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:28 pm

I'm guilty of not paying as much attention to logistics and support as I should. Shooty things are more interesting :)

But I have some general ideas for support ships. They'll be heavily focussed on maintenance, since UPT ships aren't designed to be maintained "on the fly", instead using redundant design to cope with problems until they can get back to base - or one of these support ships. The support ships will be based off large combat ships - they're important so they should be a formidable target (and it means I need to make fewer basic designs) - but with extra weight and large crews of engineering staff they won't willingly engage an enemy directly.

Refuelling could also be important, but I might use separate fuel tankers for that. After all if I do stick to antimatter fuel I probably don't want loads of staff on the potential biggest bomb in the battle group.

Where to put the support ships I'm less sure on. I'm considering using sort of "forward bases", that might set up a few dozen to few hundred light years away from where the main operations are, rather than hauling everything around everywhere. Of course there's a risk said forward bases will be targeted, but that just makes for a richer RP.

Oh, and congratulations Kyrusia. You've done a great job with the stewardship of this thread.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:07 pm

What is this? More mentors?! Nooooooooo....my uniqueness is diminishing D:

In all seriousness, congrats Ky!

I've not worked on my logistics much, given that I'm working with a lot more...front line aspects of my nation at the moment, such as culture, planets, industry, etc. However, given the nature of the type of navy I'm ripping off, what I'm imagining is that the Imperial & Federal Navy will rely heavily on centralised naval bases and outposts for supply within its home territory, with the deployment of forward logistics outposts being a key aspect of power projection. Fleet support ships are intended to be temporary measures only, until more permanent installations can be constructed.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:04 am

Logistics is a bit interesting for us, our strategic and tactical mobility as provided by our fast FTL and more-over our extensive gate network both in allied and in our territory pretty much makes it ideal for us to maintain stationary bases form where to resupply at. Now food, and non exotic stuff aside, we still need parts, energy cells for rifles, armor plating , engines ectera. So we maintain our trust fleet of transports (assault transports as I mentioned earlier in this thread) to haul supplies and reinforcements to combat theaters.

With mobile gate's we can cut down the time to ship freight over even more, but there is no way in hell I'd set up a gate in an active combat zone, I'd be far in to the rear like for example in one of the many systems around the system I'm currently attacking. But transport is just /part/ of the cost for logistical supply.

You guys may balk at this as cheating , but to be honest.. One just needs a few mega freighters with mobile factories on board to be parked in an Oort cloud or in orbit of a Jovian and start churning shit out.. Still gates and so forth are vulnerable points if you manage to locate them.

We have repair ships such as This one , they carry spare parts ectera (stuff that cant be fabbed and machined on the go) they can also act as tugs to tow ships back to port. Now they're not LOLHUGE... so for any super caps like Dreds and Super Dreds they'll have to act as tugs back to the nearest port, battleships and bellow usually they can latch on to or spray their liquid alloy across gaping holes.. (Thanks to ZMI for the idea).

All this aside, my "high tech stuff" has a massive footprint, in maintenance and parts, so we've had to develop quite an extensive tier of systems to keep things flowing. For example my MBT's (are Space M1A2s) are probably much more intensive to maintain than most other FT tanks.. (YMMV) as say the M1A2 is to a T-72. I basically follow US strategy/doctrines in space (Strategy is different from tactic's). Thanks to being isolated for a period and surrounded by (well amongst others chronosia) for along period of our ic history we've had to developed a full spectrum of abilities. Fast mobile responses, rapid reaction forces.. All the way down to the. "holy shit they're coming for us" mobilization concept.

I would hate to see any nation in FT in total war mode (Ie DEFCON 1). But yes, a good economy helps fund a massive military and any wars one might find themselves in, I still like playing an economics angle but that's personal preference . (>.> aside from working on a-lot of trade deals and shit and economy for a long time with ic agreements) it adds depth. Course I suspect fighting anyone in here might be akin to fighting a fully developed nation in rl (but in spasseee).

But I guarantee some of you that your stuff may be cheaper to operate per unit basis than mine. (And there in lies the deployment details, and balance versus quality/quantity .)
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Red Talons
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 12, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Red Talons » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:57 am

The logistics layout I use with the Talons is probably somewhat odd, it's also not exactly immediately apparent even when it's happening. A lot of our logistics doctrine has been carried through from our time as a nomad fleet. Back when a factory ship and a few dozen cargo ships packed with raw materials consisted of a fleet's logistics support. (Also a time when warships were esentially bodyguards for said factory and cargo ships, and were never expected to go anywhere without eachother.)

Talonian warships are (now) generally equipped with a machine shop and fabrication bay, allowing minor repairs and most maintnence to be conducted without the need of a shipyard or military base. In most cases, a vessel can keep itself supplied with little effort, the largest obstacle being the time it takes the fabrication systems to construct complex parts, and the time it takes the crew to put fabricated parts together. Some vessels are even capable of constructing vehicles, most commonly seen with carrier class vessels which are capable of constructing additional strike craft to supplement losses after an engagement.

For the most part, warships are deployed with enough food and water for the expected duration of deployment. If on-board supply space is insufficient then cargo ships are sent along. For the most part, due to having already highly mobile industry, the need for supply bases is pretty much nonexistant in military application, indeed, it is even seen as a liability to have fixed supply lines for military operations. Instead there are what ammounts to small fleets of mining, refinery, production, and cargo vessels. All of which spread across any number of systems. Producing everything from anti-ship missiles to mashed potatoes. Finished products get packed up and put in stasis until needed. At which point a number of cargo ships meet up with the fleet and unload the goods.

For those major repair jobs, such as a vessel returning with extensive hull damage or missing a portion of it's structure, or any other form of non-trivial maintnence requirements, there exists large mobile shipyards. Supplied in a similar fashion by regular shipments, these mobile shipyards act as the militaries naval bases. The most prominent of these is the Sanctuary class, capable of producing everything a fleet needs to stay operational, including the fleet itself.
This is my factbook(perpetually under construction)
Because I advocate more space-magic, Laws For Magic.
A 4.2 civilization, according to this index.
---
Defense Status
{Green}--{Orange}--|{Blue}|--{Red}--{Black}
---
Universal peace is an archaic concept.
It is like taking a handful of sand,
and expecting none of it to slip through your fingers...

=Isahil Traekith=
---
Fear is a basic emotion...
What frightens you more, the evil that you know?...
...Or the evil that you don't...
When you light a candle,
you also cast a shadow...
=[Data Redacted]=

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:20 am

Greetings. I am the Void. I was wondering to what extent FT-Prime would go to, as my nation is an extra-dimensional space known as "The Void". Within the Void, there are multiple nations, etc. scrambling for control over the entire Void, as well as what might be considered "Celestial" beings. Also, seeing as the Void is not within the 'normal' dimension, different rules and physics would apply within the Void, making it a very hostile environment. The Void's most infamous feature might be the Reverse Gravity Planets, or RGPs, for short. RGPs tend to have, well, reversed gravity. Meaning, the bigger they are, the harder they push you outwards. RGPs, due to this future, are usually alone in their star system, or found in between star systems. Another feature of the Void would be the Black Stars- suns which are totally pitch black, except for the white-hot glow around them from the heat they give off. This makes the Void a very dark place, and thus, most species here won't be able to stand light in the 'normal' dimension.

Another famous feature of the Void, are Void Portals- these are rips in time space that randomly and uncontrollably occur which connect the Void and the Normal Dimension[s] together. Within the Void Portal, which actually takes an hour to travel through, physics and rules collide from both dimensions, making Void Portals incredibly dangerous to those attempting to travel through it. Although, if someone were to use FTL technology to get through the Void Portal, they would probably get through it rather instantly, with little to no effect that would tear their ships apart.

Now, as earlier stated, there are MULTIPLE sub-nations and factions scrambling for control over the Void. I'll give you the Big Three: The Voidwalker Empire, The Imperium of D'jord, and The Black Star Republic. Here are some explanations.

The Voidwalker Empire: Ruled by a species known as Voidwalkers. Remember those "Celestial" beings I spoke of? Well, the Voidwalkers are pure-energy creatures made of energized heat radiation and darkmatter. They can't reproduce that easily in terms of sexuality, so normally they use their own energies to create a new being. The Voidwalkers are extremely powerful creatures, and they own the Voidcore; the galaxy in the center of the Void.

The Imperium of D'jord: D'jord is a warlord whose name in his species' language means "God of War". The Imperium stays true to it's name, as they are extremely powerful in the weapons department. The Imperium's species are diverse, but are all very humanoid. They are super hostile towards most, and if a Void Portal opens in their sectors, they are going through it shooting first, asking questions later. They own the Eastern System, a nickname given to the most-eastern part of the Void.

The Black Star Republic: The Black Star Republic is an odd nation- they seem to hail the Black Stars, or "Suns" as their Gods. They appear to be human, in almost every single way- just corrupted by living within the Void for too long. Historic records do not show how the humans got here, or got corrupted, or if they were even taken into the Void. Thus, it remains a mystery. They own the Western System.

All systems, galaxies, etc. in between the Voidcore and Eastern/Western Systems are owned by various, smaller factions with less power, and/or less technology.

Now, after someone helps me with these things and tells me if FT-Prime would go to my extent, I shall post about my various technologies and technological levels.

Dreadful Sagittarius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dreadful Sagittarius » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:41 am

Centralised bases. The Nautikon hasn't conducted any offensive operations outside their territory with the exception of joint operations with the former JSA, allowing local basing support, and the operation to [REDACTED] from the [REDACTED]. The only other offensives of note all took place within their own star system, so a dedicated fleet collier/tanker isn't something they've felt the need to tender bids for.

What few supply ships they have are merchies hired from their parent company as needed and then given any temporary alterations needed.

The V O I D wrote:-Stuff-

Given that FTL is something in use with you, then yes you're FT. That said, the potential for interaction between yourself and others seems rather limited outside of messing with the space-time continuum, and outside of a few Star Trek-based nations, that's something that doesn't happen all that much in FT.

Also, a galaxy at the heart of this void? Some here, including myself, may and have taken exception to people claiming something so large as that and expecting it to have an effect on storylines based in the MWG.
In Memoriam of David 'CanisD' Briedis, October 20, 1970 - August 27, 2015
For He Loved The Stars Too Fondly, To Fear The Night
Factbook of the Phanes RepublicFuture-Tech Advice & Assistance Thread
Future-Tech Market Index ThreadThe CompendiumState of the Galaxy
Only a fool taunts the Archer

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:47 am

Dreadful Sagittarius wrote:

Centralised bases. The Nautikon hasn't conducted any offensive operations outside their territory with the exception of joint operations with the former JSA, allowing local basing support, and the operation to [REDACTED] from the [REDACTED]. The only other offensives of note all took place within their own star system, so a dedicated fleet collier/tanker isn't something they've felt the need to tender bids for.

What few supply ships they have are merchies hired from their parent company as needed and then given any temporary alterations needed.

Given that FTL is something in use with you, then yes you're FT. That said, the potential for interaction between yourself and others seems rather limited outside of messing with the space-time continuum, and outside of a few Star Trek-based nations, that's something that doesn't happen all that much in FT.

Also, a galaxy at the heart of this void? Some here, including myself, may and have taken exception to people claiming something so large as that and expecting it to have an effect on storylines based in the MWG.

I see. Well, even though Void Portals are quite frequent and random, they usually pop into a galaxy within the 'normal' dimension.
So, I was figuring that in an IC thread, we could just make one 'appear randomly' within the desired player's nation's galaxy. But, I'm not sure if that makes it sound like a plot-importance tool or not...

And, yes. The Voidcore is the center of the Void. Although, it isn't as large as a normal galaxy- the Voidcore is approximately 1/3rd the sizeof a normal galaxy- the Voidcore is a vital place of control. It allows for interaction with the rest of the Void, as it surrounds you.
Anyways, the space-time continuum thingy? Yeah, we don't time travel, just inter-dimensional via portals that randomly rip into our dimension, and inadvertently, into "your" dimension.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:00 am

Its alright to have a galaxy at the center so long as you stick to the multi nation RPing.

And make sure to notify what entity you are role playing as.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:01 am

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Its alright to have a galaxy at the center so long as you stick to the multi nation RPing.

And make sure to notify what entity you are role playing as.

Of course. Those two points are give-away's that I couldn't afford to not do.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:30 am

The V O I D wrote:Greetings. I am the Void. I was wondering to what extent FT-Prime would go to, as my nation is an extra-dimensional space known as "The Void". Within the Void, there are multiple nations, etc. scrambling for control over the entire Void, as well as what might be considered "Celestial" beings. Also, seeing as the Void is not within the 'normal' dimension, different rules and physics would apply within the Void, making it a very hostile environment. The Void's most infamous feature might be the Reverse Gravity Planets, or RGPs, for short. RGPs tend to have, well, reversed gravity. Meaning, the bigger they are, the harder they push you outwards. RGPs, due to this future, are usually alone in their star system, or found in between star systems. Another feature of the Void would be the Black Stars- suns which are totally pitch black, except for the white-hot glow around them from the heat they give off. This makes the Void a very dark place, and thus, most species here won't be able to stand light in the 'normal' dimension.

Another famous feature of the Void, are Void Portals- these are rips in time space that randomly and uncontrollably occur which connect the Void and the Normal Dimension[s] together. Within the Void Portal, which actually takes an hour to travel through, physics and rules collide from both dimensions, making Void Portals incredibly dangerous to those attempting to travel through it. Although, if someone were to use FTL technology to get through the Void Portal, they would probably get through it rather instantly, with little to no effect that would tear their ships apart.

Now, as earlier stated, there are MULTIPLE sub-nations and factions scrambling for control over the Void. I'll give you the Big Three: The Voidwalker Empire, The Imperium of D'jord, and The Black Star Republic. Here are some explanations.

The Voidwalker Empire: Ruled by a species known as Voidwalkers. Remember those "Celestial" beings I spoke of? Well, the Voidwalkers are pure-energy creatures made of energized heat radiation and darkmatter. They can't reproduce that easily in terms of sexuality, so normally they use their own energies to create a new being. The Voidwalkers are extremely powerful creatures, and they own the Voidcore; the galaxy in the center of the Void.

The Imperium of D'jord: D'jord is a warlord whose name in his species' language means "God of War". The Imperium stays true to it's name, as they are extremely powerful in the weapons department. The Imperium's species are diverse, but are all very humanoid. They are super hostile towards most, and if a Void Portal opens in their sectors, they are going through it shooting first, asking questions later. They own the Eastern System, a nickname given to the most-eastern part of the Void.

The Black Star Republic: The Black Star Republic is an odd nation- they seem to hail the Black Stars, or "Suns" as their Gods. They appear to be human, in almost every single way- just corrupted by living within the Void for too long. Historic records do not show how the humans got here, or got corrupted, or if they were even taken into the Void. Thus, it remains a mystery. They own the Western System.

All systems, galaxies, etc. in between the Voidcore and Eastern/Western Systems are owned by various, smaller factions with less power, and/or less technology.

Now, after someone helps me with these things and tells me if FT-Prime would go to my extent, I shall post about my various technologies and technological levels.

Sounds like a Daratic sea type dealio (or N space), combined with the warp.. A point of note, most people wont care about tech as long as your not a dick about it.. Or pretty much a god... This is an interesting concept though sounds a bit like the bizzaro universe. It could be an interesting setting for some character rps .. That said though what kind of a feel do you want? I mean are you going to be doing galactic/intergalactic political power broking or is it something less defined than that?

Galaxies are immense, we know this.. I dun see much issue unless your claiming to use a galaxies worth of resources for the Kaisers war machine to subdue the barbarians in other realms.. (Though that can be a cool thing to do if rped right)
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:39 am

The Fedral Union wrote:
The V O I D wrote:Greetings. I am the Void. I was wondering to what extent FT-Prime would go to, as my nation is an extra-dimensional space known as "The Void". Within the Void, there are multiple nations, etc. scrambling for control over the entire Void, as well as what might be considered "Celestial" beings. Also, seeing as the Void is not within the 'normal' dimension, different rules and physics would apply within the Void, making it a very hostile environment. The Void's most infamous feature might be the Reverse Gravity Planets, or RGPs, for short. RGPs tend to have, well, reversed gravity. Meaning, the bigger they are, the harder they push you outwards. RGPs, due to this future, are usually alone in their star system, or found in between star systems. Another feature of the Void would be the Black Stars- suns which are totally pitch black, except for the white-hot glow around them from the heat they give off. This makes the Void a very dark place, and thus, most species here won't be able to stand light in the 'normal' dimension.

Sounds like a Daratic sea type dealio (or N space), combined with the warp.. A point of note, most people wont care about tech as long as your not a dick about it.. Or pretty much a god... This is an interesting concept though sounds a bit like the bizzaro universe. It could be an interesting setting for some character rps .. That said though what kind of a feel do you want? I mean are you going to be doing galactic/intergalactic political power broking or is it something less defined than that?

Galaxies are immense, we know this.. I dun see much issue unless your claiming to use a galaxies worth of resources for the Kaisers war machine to subdue the barbarians in other realms.. (Though that can be a cool thing to do if rped right)

Well, the Void's divided up by many, many nations. It depends on which nation happens to be on the other side of that Void Portal which just-so-happened to rip open outside of your Empire. Some are warlord nations like the Imperium of D'jord, and will just shoot first, ask questions later never. Others, like the Black Star Republic, will try to become friends as they are more into the trading business. It reaaally depends. Thanks, though.

As for your questions: I prefer nation RPs, and faction RPs. Also, it's like this: if the nation you meet are warlords, their politics will be "slaughter and pillage". On the other hand, if you meet a peace-loving nation, their politics will be "Trade must occur, then military alliance".

Red Talons
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 12, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Red Talons » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:41 am

The V O I D wrote:-snipped-

I have two main points of advice.

First, most of FT operates in the scale of star systems, not galaxies. So you will rarely find a player that actually plays as a galaxy spanning civilization. Most people have a hand full of star systems, though some have more, and some have less. It is fairly rare for a player to have a civilization that spans an entire galaxy. The few I have seen that do claim such vast empires tend to either fade away into obscurity or they are very careful to set up a sort of 'forward colony' type of situation. Where the the group they are playing as is actually a exploration/colonization/expansion/whatever force of the galaxy wide empire somewhere else in space too far away to do anything of immediate significance. Sort of a science fiction version of the british colonies in america.

Second, there isn't really anything like a "normal sized galaxy". The milky way galaxy is somewhere around 100,000 lightyears wide and contains roughly three hundred billion stars. Even relatively small Satelite Galaxies tend to contain billions of stars. On the other hand there's galaxies measuring well over two million lightyears across with estimates of hundreds of trillions of stars. So saying that it is a third the size of a normal galaxy really means nothing without actual measurements, like a count of controlled star systems.

Further...

Since there are multiple factions in your home galaxy, you're already doing much better than most people. The usual sillyness where a person claiming a massive galaxy wide utopian empire that is bent on exploring and claiming everything they find. This usually doesnt go over well, so thumbs up for that, I for one would be interested to see the interaction of the groups with eachother. Or possibly even a few splinter groups. Extremists and the like, such as religious cults or racist organizations.

Also, as said above, most people won't really care how large or tech-savy the nation is unless you start trying to use it as a weapon. Things like "I control a million systems so I send a million battleships, post losses." tend to be met with ignore cannons. On the other hand, claiming a million systems, and having a battleship parked in each one would be perfectly alright when you're describing it as the backdrop for mister average commuting through low orbit.
This is my factbook(perpetually under construction)
Because I advocate more space-magic, Laws For Magic.
A 4.2 civilization, according to this index.
---
Defense Status
{Green}--{Orange}--|{Blue}|--{Red}--{Black}
---
Universal peace is an archaic concept.
It is like taking a handful of sand,
and expecting none of it to slip through your fingers...

=Isahil Traekith=
---
Fear is a basic emotion...
What frightens you more, the evil that you know?...
...Or the evil that you don't...
When you light a candle,
you also cast a shadow...
=[Data Redacted]=

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:43 am

Dreadful Sagittarius wrote:

If its written in the right way , why not? By the way space time fuckery is common in FT.... Aside from that, there is a whole wing of FT that says fuck realism and tends not to be so stringent on a style of play..Let us not be so quick to dismiss someone for their ideas; I doubt he came in here to claim hes god.

Ahh I see, well it seems to me your making more of a setting, and that's admirable, as long as you stay with in a general socially accepted norm in II (something common to anyone ie godmoding, wanking to compete ectera) I don't see an issue myself. If you ever did want to set up a war and such hey, we in GESO would be willing to make a thing of it. Your religion almost reminds me of Egypt..
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:51 am

Red Talons wrote:
The V O I D wrote:-snipped-

First, most of FT operates in the scale of star systems, not galaxies. So you will rarely find a player that actually plays as a galaxy spanning civilization. Most people have a hand full of star systems, though some have more, and some have less. It is fairly rare for a player to have a civilization that spans an entire galaxy. The few I have seen that do claim such vast empires tend to either fade away into obscurity or they are very careful to set up a sort of 'forward colony' type of situation. Where the the group they are playing as is actually a exploration/colonization/expansion/whatever force of the galaxy wide empire somewhere else in space too far away to do anything of immediate significance. Sort of a science fiction version of the british colonies in america.

Second, there isn't really anything like a "normal sized galaxy". The milky way galaxy is somewhere around 100,000 lightyears wide and contains roughly three hundred billion stars. Even relatively small Satelite Galaxies tend to contain billions of stars. On the other hand there's galaxies measuring well over two million lightyears across with estimates of hundreds of trillions of stars. So saying that it is a third the size of a normal galaxy really means nothing without actual measurements, like a count of controlled star systems.

Further...

Since there are multiple factions in your home galaxy, you're already doing much better than most people. The usual sillyness where a person claiming a massive galaxy wide utopian empire that is bent on exploring and claiming everything they find. This usually doesnt go over well, so thumbs up for that, I for one would be interested to see the interaction of the groups with eachother. Or possibly even a few splinter groups. Extremists and the like, such as religious cults or racist organizations.

Also, as said above, most people won't really care how large or tech-savy the nation is unless you start trying to use it as a weapon. Things like "I control a million systems so I send a million battleships, post losses." tend to be met with ignore cannons. On the other hand, claiming a million systems, and having a battleship parked in each one would be perfectly alright when you're describing it as the backdrop for mister average commuting through low orbit.

Errr. Some of your advice makes sense, and I thank you for it... but others make it seem like you need to re-read my post.
The Void is an extra-dimensional place split up by an almost infinite number of factions, I just listed the biggest three. Also, I know there isn't a 'normal' for galaxies, I just meant an a very small galaxy with only a few million stars forms the Voidcore.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:55 am

The V O I D wrote:
Red Talons wrote:

Further...

Errr. Some of your advice makes sense, and I thank you for it... but others make it seem like you need to re-read my post.
The Void is an extra-dimensional place split up by an almost infinite number of factions, I just listed the biggest three. Also, I know there isn't a 'normal' for galaxies, I just meant an a very small galaxy with only a few million stars forms the Voidcore.

I suppose it could be akin to a dieing or dead universe of sorts, it makes sense now. A place where star formation has ceased, and things are growing cold? It could be possible, but this is just conjecture, since we're working with other dimensional physics ... Perhaps there was an accelerated die out of star formation ectera.. With a super massive black hole holding the otherwise repelling stars/matter in to what is barely a galaxy.
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:57 am

The Fedral Union wrote:
The V O I D wrote:Errr. Some of your advice makes sense, and I thank you for it... but others make it seem like you need to re-read my post.

I suppose it could be akin to a dieing or dead universe of sorts, it makes sense now. A place where star formation has ceased, and things are growing cold? It could be possible, but this is just conjecture, since we're working with other dimensional physics ... Perhaps there was an accelerated die out of star formation ectera..

Well, stars aren't "dying", rather, they've just changed how they form because of the Void's "dead" state; and that is, they form as black stars with white-hot glows, giving off heat, but very little light. Thus, most species within the Void have grown the ability of night vision, or something similar.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:03 am

The V O I D wrote:[quote="The Fedral Union";p="21374083"

I suppose it could be akin to a dieing or dead universe of sorts, it makes sense now. A place where star formation has ceased, and things are growing cold? It could be possible, but this is just conjecture, since we're working with other dimensional physics ... Perhaps there was an accelerated die out of star formation ectera..

Well, stars aren't "dying", rather, they've just changed how they form because of the Void's "dead" state; and that is, they form as black stars with white-hot glows, giving off heat, but very little light. Thus, most species within the Void have grown the ability of night vision, or something similar.[/quote]

Sounds like a brown dwarf, or a black dwarf or at least white dwarfs on the way to becoming black dwarfs..Its not proton decay so.. Hmm, YMMV on the radiant energy left behind by electron degeneracy ie like white dwarfs but since its another dimension I suppose visible spectrum's of light could be mucked with. That aside I understand what you mean, your on about more or less mirror matter.. The visible light as I said could- never mind I don't want to get in to pusdo technical details. But basically they still give off Infra red light rather than visible wave lengths.. I was just noting it could be similar to the fizzle that our verse may experience at the end to correlate for others.

That said Void do you have IRC?
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:10 am

The Fedral Union wrote:
The V O I D wrote:
Well, stars aren't "dying", rather, they've just changed how they form because of the Void's "dead" state; and that is, they form as black stars with white-hot glows, giving off heat, but very little light. Thus, most species within the Void have grown the ability of night vision, or something similar.

Sounds like a brown dwarf, or a black dwarf or at least white dwarfs on the way to becoming black dwarfs..Its not proton decay so.. Hmm, YMMV on the radiant energy left behind by electron degeneracy ie like white dwarfs but since its another dimension I suppose visible spectrum's of light could be mucked with. That aside I understand what you mean, your on about more or less mirror matter.. The visible light as I said could- never mind I don't want to get in to pusdo technical details. But basically they still give off Infra red light rather than visible wave lengths.. I was just noting it could be similar to the fizzle that our verse may experience at the end to correlate for others.

That said Void do you have IRC?

Thanks for the feedback. I think that makes sense. Also, no, I don't have IRC.

And, I wanted to go a bit more in-detail about Void Portals; there are two kinds of Void Portals: Stable and Unstable.
Stable Void Portals: Act as a gateway between the Void and "normal" dimension.
Unstable Void Portals: Usually created when either on the Void's side, or the normal dimension's side, the portal forms ontop of a Star. This causes the Black Star [if void-sided] or Yellow/Red/etc. Star [if normal-sided] to be sucked in and sent to the other side. This can lead to catastrophe, as if the black star is sent to the normal dimension, it can cause detrimental damage, as Black Stars can often times supernova if in contact with new radiations or wave lengths that are unnatural to the Void. And when Black Stars supernova, they turn pure white and almost as large as Jupiter, unleashing an unhealthy amount of radiation and heat. In contrast, stars from the normal side going into the Void are often corrupted by the pure darkness, and sent into decay faster than normal, almost to the point where it instantly supernovas, resulting in the same damage, just within the Void rather than in the normal dimension. Often times, this supernova causes the Void Portal to explode, creating black holes in both dimensions.

EDIT: THIS is a Void Portal
Last edited by The V O I D on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sskiss
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2004

Postby Sskiss » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:11 am

In the old days, few, if any, considered logistics. I mean, we always assumed that if we conquered a world, we just helped ourselves to the local fauna like a buffet.
"Eat or be Eaten"
"The first pain of life is to be driven from the creche to the harsh lands beyond.
The first joy of life is the crechemates you will meet there"
"Above the Isss' Raak is only the sky"
"Greenfood feeds redfood. Redfood feeds Sskiss"

"All is oneness/isness. All feed on death"
Sskiss Apothegms

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents