NATION

PASSWORD

Future Tech Advice and Assistance Thread [O.O.C.]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:53 am

I was wondering if anyone had advise on how to determine just how many soldiers and all that I would have, is there a calculator online to help or what?
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:03 am

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:I was wondering if anyone had advise on how to determine just how many soldiers and all that I would have, is there a calculator online to help or what?

I don't stick to it religiously, but I found this which says 2% of the world population today is part of an active military. This fit what I needed fairly well so just used that as a base line :D

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd recommend taking a modern country which you'd say is closest to what you'd like your nation to be like (bar the future tech of course) and use some stats from that as a rough guide. Interested in how others would use it though, and it's definitely not a calculator-rigour type method.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

Auman
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:48 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:I was wondering if anyone had advise on how to determine just how many soldiers and all that I would have, is there a calculator online to help or what?

You can never go wrong with a million.
IBNFTW local 8492

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:23 pm

For practical purposes, I go with a general "As many as I need for the story at hand."

For factbooking purposes (which really are just fluff), it really depends on a ton of factors. Tech level, how much automation you use, imminent threats (real or perceived), whether or not your have a martial tradition in your civilization, surface combat doctrine (unless "soldier" means "ground personnel, space personnel, support personnel, administrative staff, etc"), how much territory you need to cover, etc.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Arcerion
Senator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Arcerion » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Aight. Time for another of my Great Legions. As before, we have the Gold Hammer Guards, or the GHG as coined by Thrashia. After taking Said comments I created this: GHG 2.0. Basically an updated and more beefed up Mäanpal.

Now, for an airmobile unit. The Redhawk Legion is probably one of my favourites. This specific Mäanpal structure is designed to have transports, an attack craft group, and the obvious attached headquarters and logistics units. Keeping in mind that the 3rd Lance in Höofstuks 1-6 is the crew. Once I get feedback I'll make it all pretty.

So, FTAAT, thoughts on this unit? Have enough firepower? Any questions? Suggestions?

Edit: Redhawk Legion. I'm an idiot and forgot to link the unit. There we go.
Last edited by Arcerion on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Republic of Lanos wrote:I went to a fight once but then a hockey game broke out.

Auman
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:45 pm

To be honest, if you are interested in getting detailed TO&E for your military, two legions aren't going to cut it all by their lonesome. The Aumanii Army has eighteen divisions of all types, each individually detailed with brief write ups of their history... And that's not counting the independent brigades, paramilitary groups, air force, navy and the space fleet.

Is your army just the two legions? How many men are in a legion? How does it break down organizationally?
IBNFTW local 8492

Thrashia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2004
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Thrashia » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Auman wrote:To be honest, if you are interested in getting detailed TO&E for your military, two legions aren't going to cut it all by their lonesome. The Aumanii Army has eighteen divisions of all types, each individually detailed with brief write ups of their history... And that's not counting the independent brigades, paramilitary groups, air force, navy and the space fleet.

Is your army just the two legions? How many men are in a legion? How does it break down organizationally?

He mentioned in his original post the sizes of his legions. They're each about a 3rd the size of a modern day army group.

viewtopic.php?p=20882553#p20882553
FT Factbook | Thrashian Maintenance Thread | Newbies Need to Read This | Thrashia IIwiki

"D-Damn you all...! All of you dogs whose souls are still bound to the Earth! Long live Neo Zeon!" - MSG: Unicorn

Arcerion
Senator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Arcerion » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Auman wrote:To be honest, if you are interested in getting detailed TO&E for your military, two legions aren't going to cut it all by their lonesome. The Aumanii Army has eighteen divisions of all types, each individually detailed with brief write ups of their history... And that's not counting the independent brigades, paramilitary groups, air force, navy and the space fleet.

I think I have something like 60+ legions. Around ten Great Legions, basically those that have received commissions from the Emperor for honorable or exceptional conduct or actions.
The Republic of Lanos wrote:I went to a fight once but then a hockey game broke out.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:16 am

Feazanthia wrote:

For practical purposes, I go with a general "As many as I need for the story at hand."

For factbooking purposes (which really are just fluff), it really depends on a ton of factors. Tech level, how much automation you use, imminent threats (real or perceived), whether or not your have a martial tradition in your civilization, surface combat doctrine (unless "soldier" means "ground personnel, space personnel, support personnel, administrative staff, etc"), how much territory you need to cover, etc.

So if we figure out exactly what factors match, could we conceive a reasonable size for my military size?
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Jelarais
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jelarais » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:43 am

So, I need some advice about my shield tech. I had this idea for a Cyclonic Barrier, which would work slightly differently than most shields. Instead of just taking the punishment until they fail, like ST shields, or absorbing the energy until they can't anymore, like EVE shields, these would move the energy/projectiles around the ship via a constantly rotating field of energy. While they wouldn't last forever, obviously, the idea behind it is that since it's only deflecting rather than blocking the energy/projectile (just like parrying vs blocking in a swordfight) they could take more punishment than the average shield. Any thoughts, disagreements, input?
It is the responsibility of the people to question those in authority.
-Benjamin Franklin

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:18 am

Jelarais wrote:So, I need some advice about my shield tech. I had this idea for a Cyclonic Barrier, which would work slightly differently than most shields. Instead of just taking the punishment until they fail, like ST shields, or absorbing the energy until they can't anymore, like EVE shields, these would move the energy/projectiles around the ship via a constantly rotating field of energy. While they wouldn't last forever, obviously, the idea behind it is that since it's only deflecting rather than blocking the energy/projectile (just like parrying vs blocking in a swordfight) they could take more punishment than the average shield. Any thoughts, disagreements, input?

A shield is a shield, as long as its not invincible why does it matter? That hardly comes up in the middle of an rp, tbh most tech doesn't come up in an rp. That said you can use magentics to do something like that, they've created magnetic black holes .. (if that makes sense)
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:43 am

On military size, as good a place to start as any is to pick a modern nation that's not the USA and copy the percentages of that.

On shields, I think many will use the idea of deflecting rather than outright stopping incoming fire. If you have both types the deflecting type might be stronger. One thing to think about would be where those deflected shots go.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

The Legion of War
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Legion of War » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 am

SquareDisc City wrote:On military size, as good a place to start as any is to pick a modern nation that's not the USA and copy the percentages of that.

On shields, I think many will use the idea of deflecting rather than outright stopping incoming fire. If you have both types the deflecting type might be stronger. One thing to think about would be where those deflected shots go.

But what if you are a nation that places great emphasis on war? Then could you go with the USA as a basic template?
IC Stuff:
This nation does NOT represent my real life views.
The FT Nation Index, making it easier for FT players to connect.

OCC Stuff:
Pro: Everything you hate
Con: Everything you love
Info: Straight Hispanic Male, Canadian. Speaks fluent Spanish and English, and some French. If you speak French, I'd love to have someone to practice with, even if it is just typing. Same deal with Spanish.

Auman
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:49 am

Big militaries are always a good place to start, bro. The USA is a good template because they have examples of just about every kind of thing that is expected of a modern armed force.

Given the populations that we tend to work with, though, having a well rounded knowledge of military organization from as many sources and eras that you care to learn is always a fine idea.

The Aumanii Armed Forces, for example, is roughly equivalent to the United States military... It's not enough to defend the entire realm, though, so I have each colony raise a national guard for defensive purposes. For each colony, I take inspiration from a different fighting force, modern or historical.

You may want to consider that for the sake of having some variety in your military formations, because standardization isn't easy to pull off on the planet Earth... So it won't get much easier on alien planets either.
IBNFTW local 8492

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:41 pm

The Legion of War wrote:But what if you are a nation that places great emphasis on war? Then could you go with the USA as a basic template?
I would still advise looking to a different country. Israel perhaps.

The point is that the US military is very, very abnormal. It should not be taken as the template for a typical nation, but often it is because it's what most players are most familiar with. I'd venture that nobody in NSFT can claim to be in a similar position to the USA (ie a sole dominant superpower), and it's near-certain that nobody asking the question "how big should my military be" is in that position.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:44 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:
The Legion of War wrote:But what if you are a nation that places great emphasis on war? Then could you go with the USA as a basic template?

The point is that the US military is very, very abnormal. It should not be taken as the template for a typical nation, but often it is because it's what most players are most familiar with. I'd venture that nobody in NSFT can claim to be in a similar position to the USA (ie a sole dominant superpower), and it's near-certain that nobody asking the question "how big should my military be" is in that position.

What would you advise I should specifically consider?

Especially since that for what almost counts as a centuries time span I have been highly militarized because of severe paranoia of alien life. (And its going to slowly creep back anyways in a few years anyways)
/// A.N.N. \\\

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:14 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:I would still advise looking to a different country. Israel perhaps.

Israel is even more abnormal. For one, how many other nations basically get their military bankrolled by a large, wealthy superpower, and are surrounded by enemies who would literally want them wiped off the face of the Earth? Israel's current military would look very different if it didn't get so much aid from Western countries, especially the United States.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:41 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
SquareDisc City wrote:I would still advise looking to a different country. Israel perhaps.

Especially since that for what almost counts as a centuries time span I have been highly militarized because of severe paranoia of alien life. (And its going to slowly creep back anyways in a few years anyways)

The Akasha Colony wrote:

Israel is even more abnormal. For one, how many other nations basically get their military bankrolled by a large, wealthy superpower, and are surrounded by enemies who would literally want them wiped off the face of the Earth? Israel's current military would look very different if it didn't get so much aid from Western countries, especially the United States.

I concur. In fact, I'd scrap looking at any nation in the modern world and instead look at the numbers from 1935-1945. Seeing as modern world militaries are ridiculously expensive to build and maintain in proportion to their actual need, they are usually too large but of substandard quality (Russia) or too small with increasing quality (Britain, France; their use of carriers and 4.5 generation fighters brings them above and beyond most powers). Honestly, the U.S. is an anomaly because it's both large and of substantial quality, but has no real competitors in a conventional war (though the rise of other 5th generation fighters does put a curb on some of it).

The WWII numbers especially bring in a host of factors: large amounts of mobilization, actual competition between the powers (something lost in in the modern world), and large-scale industrialization. Plus their easy to dig up. I used the USN force levels during this time period as a template for my space navy.

Let me know if this is helpful.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:50 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:

If you're highly militarized and xenophobic, China - Qing dynasty to the modern age - is going to be your best bet for a RL template(secondary Japan post-Meiji restoration). The combat ability of your force, though, is going to depend on the ratio between how long you've been a xenophobic militarized nation over how long it's been since you've actually had a military engagement with an alien force. The smaller this number, the less effective your military is going to be.
Last edited by Derscon on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Yeah, the term Super power in NSFT is either in the eye of the beholder or more likely nonexistent. (The one glaring reason being SENSE OF SCALE.. FT/space is huge..)

As for the personnel you need in the military? Yeah that depends on the logistics chain, the current state of readiness or need for personnel, situations abroad. Or if your threatened. Most of the UTA's "massive military" is shored up in reserves, we've not fought in so many decades we don't need to keep massive standing fleets or armies.. Doesn't mean we don't; keep things on the backing.. It just means the amount of active personnel is smaller as opposed to reserve.

I keep my ground forces as X.. In number, there is likely never going to be a reason, or thread to mention a more specific number.. Unless its in a tech manual or factbook. The other thing is, wielding a massive military can be expensive, and the logistics are a bit daunting. While the UTA has things in place and we can sure as hell fund it if we need to .. It doesn't mean it will be cheap or easy, then you get in to the issue with mobilization time.
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Derscon wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:What would you advise I should specifically consider?

If you're highly militarized and xenophobic, China - Qing dynasty to the modern age - is going to be your best bet for a RL template(secondary Japan post-Meiji restoration). The combat ability of your force, though, is going to depend on the ratio between how long you've been a xenophobic militarized nation over how long it's been since you've actually had a military engagement with an alien force. The smaller this number, the less effective your military is going to be.

And no matter how militarized you are that still doesn't mean that you're going to have a large standing army. Nazi Germany didn't fully mobilize its population or industry until around late 1943 because the expense wasn't worth it (or so it was percieved by the Nazis). Russia is considered a highly militarized country in the modern world, as well as Israel, but neither maintains a large standing army unless they are at war (though admittedly large reserves). Part of the reason why my nation has been fighting a massive galactic war for the past three RL yeads is because I have a plausible excuse to have a large military, which dwarfs my peacetime army tenfold.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:05 pm

The Ben Boys wrote:
Derscon wrote:

And no matter how militarized you are that still doesn't mean that you're going to have a large standing army. Nazi Germany didn't fully mobilize its population or industry until around late 1943 because the expense wasn't worth it (or so it was percieved by the Nazis). Russia is considered a highly militarized country in the modern world, as well as Israel, but neither maintains a large standing army unless they are at war (though admittedly large reserves). Part of the reason why my nation has been fighting a massive galactic war for the past three RL yeads is because I have a plausible excuse to have a large military, which dwarfs my peacetime army tenfold.

Good point. It's a bit daunting to think of just how much of a drain a standing army can be, especially one mobilized. Paranoia is expensive.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:08 pm

UEG if you want a "calc" Here is one But I will note calcs mean little in general FT rping, I or you or some may use some numbers there as guidelines or not for certain things, but they often do not reflect the reality that is FT. Mostly they were made for MT. I digress, its there to use to guide if you subscribe to it but yeah one cant push numbers from there on anyone in FT.
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Imperial and Federal Union of States
Attaché

Founded: Dec 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial and Federal Union of States » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:12 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:

The thing about the American military is more that it's built around expeditionary warfare, rather than advancing along a landward frontier or defending the homeland. No one in NS has the US's level of power, but the basic ideas of the American military are quite useful in an NS environment. I'm not sure how well it'd translate into FT though, given how disparate everything will be.

I'd warn against using Israel as a template, if only because Israel's geopolitics are near unique and you won't be able to really pursue them unless you match its position. Israel is a small nation, with no strategic depth, that is surrounded by hostile neighbours, and has said global hyperpower providing it support. The Israeli military is built around these facts, and unless your nation finds itself in a similar position, using the Israelis as an example is a bad idea. Remember, the Israeli military--when fully mobilised--is actually unsustainable, as the manpower draw would cripple the Israeli economy very quickly.

So be careful about using Israel as a basis.

The Legion of War
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Legion of War » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:11 pm

I see. Thank you or the advice.

My nation considers itself to be constantly surrounded by the "Xeno threat", when in reality any large immediate threat has been wiped out. Of course, space is huge so the Legion likes to use that by saying "there are still aliens out there who want to wipe us out"!

So it's more of a perceived threat, meaning that my nation doesn't truly resemble Israel's situation (you know, since they always have beef with Hamas).

Someone mentioned a China dynasty as an example (I'll look it up on my own), but what of Nazi Germany. They were all about the "master race", but did this have any influence in their military?

The more extreme in the Legion tend to have a "human master species" ideology.
IC Stuff:
This nation does NOT represent my real life views.
The FT Nation Index, making it easier for FT players to connect.

OCC Stuff:
Pro: Everything you hate
Con: Everything you love
Info: Straight Hispanic Male, Canadian. Speaks fluent Spanish and English, and some French. If you speak French, I'd love to have someone to practice with, even if it is just typing. Same deal with Spanish.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents