NATION

PASSWORD

Future Tech Advice and Assistance Thread [O.O.C.]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valefore
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Valefore » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Hmm... I was under the impression that something like star trek disruptors or phased arrays would actually have better and faster coverage than a turret. While I'm not all too familiar with how beam weapons work in star trek, I did do a bit of digging into phased arrays as an actual concept since I too like the idea of going turretless in some cases. Any way, from what I remember, you'd likely have faster target tracking and an increased ability to hit faster moving targets with bigger weapons because there is no turret assembly to lug around to track a target with weapon barrels, but conversely, the actual weapon would likely be a bit more likely to be destroyed if hit due to the lack of an armored casing. Of course, you could counter that with simply adding armored covers that slide out of the way so you could shoot.

As for immersion, they technically could still aim for your "turret," its just that it won't actually be a turret so I doubt that it would do much to ruin peoples immersion if that route was taken... I mean look at star trek... You don't see many turrets there unless you go JJVerse, and people seem to like it just fine.

Sunset
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Depends on the construction and the method. Federation phaser batteries in the TNG era use an artificial lense to allow the beam to focus wherever they want it at essentially the speed of electronics. But this (rationally) costs power; the power needed to deflect or lense the beam. So you're either using more of your total power reserve or lowering the output of the shot. If the turret is recessed into the hull as in a bubble or ball shape, the coverage is restricted by the visible portion of the sphere and the depth of the recess. This would have the advantage that the turret would then benefit from some degree from the ship's primary hull armor. 'Old fashioned' turrets have the advantage in that their movement is purely mechanical, which doesn't take a lot of energy. However the turret and its barrels are exposed. Armor them up? Takes more energy or more time to turn, etc. It's all a balance and more importantly depends on the environment in which that particular weapon system evolved. Mine evolved in the missile spam environment of 02' through... Umm... Present. So recessed turrets with artificial lenses since power isn't a concern.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Oswelia wrote:"Shoot their turret!"... "But I don't have turrets, HAHAHA! *Raspberry*.
Well that's why you drop a note in the OOC thread that your ships don't actually have turrets, and the other guy can tweak their post if wanted. And to be fair, I think most weapons are likely to have some sort of aperture or muzzle, even if it's not a 'turret' exactly, so "Shoot their weapons" should be reasonably general though even that might have exceptions. Lensey things that can shoot at different angles or make an energy beam curve are reasonably common, as is the trusty fixed spinal gun that's aimed by turning the whole ship.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:04 pm

I appreciate the phaser strip arrays of Star Trek and they're what I initially based all of my weapons designs off of.

To put it simply, I picture shielding arrays and firing points being linked. So, for my far future weapons, directed energy covers both shielding and weapons and works on a point-defense passive array system. They're always active, given that our ships generate overages of energy (because redundancy and passive/active reserves constantly charging and dissipating when not in use by dedicated war hips) and those that aren't armed with these weapons are built on the principle of the glorious school of missile spam.

By spiking energy from various arrays, the ship will generate long wave-like bursts of super-heated plasma off of it's hull projectors (or RCS ports) and out into space. By initially micromanaging the way the wave is shaped and formed when it passes through the directed energy shield barrier over it, the flow of particles from the RCS port can be manipulated and directed towards a target section of space. The size and shape of the parabolic arc generated by the plasma burst is affected by how the energy-directors on the ship's hull managed to manipulate it.

In short, while highly effective weapons for my intended use (which is area suppression and superheating of target arrays), it falters greatly in energy efficiency because that wasn't a doctrinal issue, and it falters in effectiveness under battle damage, making it effectively a glass cannon. However, when the weapon itself can also be used as a shield (generating/manipulating said RCS particles into discs of highly energized plasma), it cuts into the glass cannon issue well enough to be considered an allowable weakness to Kassaran military naval doctrine.

Small vessels unable to generate large amounts of energy make use of the typical kinetic/guided cannon/missile layout of modern fighters with the exception of certain atmosphere-capable variants.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Federal Republic of Free States
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Republic of Free States » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:30 pm

So this is something that I've been thinking about for a while now for my nation. I've come up with a few things that I like, and I plan on expanding on it in the near future as well and I wanted to see if anyone else has thought about this topic for your nation. The topic that I've been pondering about is animals, both domesticated and wild.

For me, domesticated animals falls into really three general categories, common, game and exotic. Common being more of the dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, and aquatic animals that we are pretty used to as "common pets" of the citizenry of the Republic. Generally, these types of animals have both planet/region specific species as well as transcendent species that are not located in one specific region/system. There can be wild populations of common animals on various planets within Republican territory. Uncommon would describe animals you normally wouldn't consider as "household" pets, things like bears, deer, raccoons, foxes, wolves, lions, giraffes, kangaroos. Think more so safari and zoo animals that people wouldn't keep as pets but would either be seen in the wild, or in protective government or private enclosures. Exotic creatures would generally describe weird alien shit that immigrants and refugees would try and sneak into Republican space either to sell the animal for profit, or to deliberately introduce it into any wild space. Ever since the introduction of FO-ISP (Federal Ordinance-Immigrant Species Protection), it became a federal crime to knowingly buy, sell, possess or knowingly help smuggle in or out any exotic creature. Any individual must immediately surrender any exotic creature to Federal Authorities or report any knowledge of one or face penalties including fines, jail time or both. Interest in exotic animals and creatures has started to rise throughout the population of the Republic as more and more of the galaxy opens up to my nation both through economic and political relationships.

Another category of animals that I put some thought towards, is the military application of some animal species. So far the most prevalent would be a few dog breeds in the Republican Marine Forces, as well as in almost all the branches of the Republican Military. Other animals regularly go through testing phases for inclusion in the military, usually being administered by DEPOT (Department of Engineering Organics and Technology).

So? Has anyone else thought of the animals that would both naturally populate your worlds? I still have some work to do on unique naturally occurring animal species for specific planets. What about domesticated animals? Do they provide services for your citizenry?

The Solar Cooperative Union
Envoy

Founded: Jul 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Solar Cooperative Union » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Federal Republic of Free States wrote:So this is something that I've been thinking about for a while now for my nation. I've come up with a few things that I like, and I plan on expanding on it in the near future as well and I wanted to see if anyone else has thought about this topic for your nation. The topic that I've been pondering about is animals, both domesticated and wild.

For me, domesticated animals falls into really three general categories, common, game and exotic. Common being more of the dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, and aquatic animals that we are pretty used to as "common pets" of the citizenry of the Republic. Generally, these types of animals have both planet/region specific species as well as transcendent species that are not located in one specific region/system. There can be wild populations of common animals on various planets within Republican territory. Uncommon would describe animals you normally wouldn't consider as "household" pets, things like bears, deer, raccoons, foxes, wolves, lions, giraffes, kangaroos. Think more so safari and zoo animals that people wouldn't keep as pets but would either be seen in the wild, or in protective government or private enclosures. Exotic creatures would generally describe weird alien shit that immigrants and refugees would try and sneak into Republican space either to sell the animal for profit, or to deliberately introduce it into any wild space. Ever since the introduction of FO-ISP (Federal Ordinance-Immigrant Species Protection), it became a federal crime to knowingly buy, sell, possess or knowingly help smuggle in or out any exotic creature. Any individual must immediately surrender any exotic creature to Federal Authorities or report any knowledge of one or face penalties including fines, jail time or both. Interest in exotic animals and creatures has started to rise throughout the population of the Republic as more and more of the galaxy opens up to my nation both through economic and political relationships.

Another category of animals that I put some thought towards, is the military application of some animal species. So far the most prevalent would be a few dog breeds in the Republican Marine Forces, as well as in almost all the branches of the Republican Military. Other animals regularly go through testing phases for inclusion in the military, usually being administered by DEPOT (Department of Engineering Organics and Technology).

So? Has anyone else thought of the animals that would both naturally populate your worlds? I still have some work to do on unique naturally occurring animal species for specific planets. What about domesticated animals? Do they provide services for your citizenry?

General rule is that anywhere there are humans there are also rats, except in Alberta. I imagine that depending on your location on the shiny to rusty scale of sci-fi you might have rats scurrying about in freighters and backwater stations. As for family pets cats are much more popular in the Union due to general smaller living space and lack of yards or room for dogs to exercise, but on the more spacious frontier dogs and horses are popular.
Don't look at this

Balochistan and New York
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Balochistan and New York » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Wait so In FT i can create anything?
Call me Baloch/York for short

Member of the Humanist Union

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Balochistan and New York wrote:Wait so In FT i can create anything?

As long as it involves faster than light travel, technically yes.
Hyper-commodified cocaine capitalism. Urbanized solar systems. Omnixenophobia. War economy without end. Radical body augmentation for fun and profit.

I make exactly two exceptions from a fairly strict adherence to realism, and hate them both.

The Anchorage, for discussion of all things FT

The Interstellar Human Compact

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Strictly speaking, in any tech level you can create and roleplay what you want, insofar as it adheres to the rules.

That being said, each tech level (and, to varying degrees, the [sub-]communities that constitute them) has an assortment of standards or guidelines players are often encouraged to adhere to (no godmodding, metagaming, etc. as a simple example). FT is no different, but equally like any other tech level, adherence to those standards (and players' interpretations of them) can vary considerably from one roleplayer to the next. As Olimpiada pointed out, though, the usually accepted threshold for FT is when a state has created a means of faster-than-light (FTL) travel (though there is wiggle room, as ever).

Something you often see professed in FT is "C4," or, more precisely as it relates to your question, the "Rule of Cool" (creativity and consistency). All this really means is that you may use things which might otherwise break the laws of physics, insofar as it is creative and the internal rules you give it are applied consistently ("Laser A" can't defeat "Shield Y" in one thread, thus shouldn't be able to do it in another thread short of a justifiable increase in its capabilities or advancement). More broadly, it is recommended that this novelty is tempered by C4 - precisely the "Code of Bro" aspects, collaboration and compromise; these essentially encourage players to work with other players in the event there is an issue with a concept (such as a piece of technology) to maximize the mutual enjoyment by all participants in that thread and to reach a polite compromise where necessary - such as not to godmod or powergame, though there are other, more nuanced aspects of this as well.

Some players, as noted, have different thresholds and expectations. Some prefer roleplayers who stick closer to reality ("hard science-fiction"), while others have far less concerns about this ("soft science-fiction" or even "science-fantasy"). It will ultimately depend on whom you want to roleplay with (or do roleplay with) on a regular basis. In my personal opinion, just as an example, I tend to avoid concepts that just, for whatever reason, wholly shatter my sense of immersion or seem to be selected by the player just to defeat other players Out-of-Character (not the same as friendly competition, which is fine; I'm talking about, "I must defeat this guy because he's lame, and I hate lame people," etc.).

You can find more information in the guides provided here and in the OP in general.

Hope that helps. :D
Last edited by Kyrusia on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:51 am

Yes, anyone can do anything they want in FT, so long as it complies with the site rules.
However, that 'anything' can include 'ignoring players who violate community standards'.

There are lots of community standards in FT, and--as Kyru said--people can vary in how they interpret them. Some players may choose to be hard-scifi, others might lean more sci-fantasy, but the key point to remember is that, while you can do anything, if you want to do anything with anyone else, you might need to comport yourself within the standards of the community.

One of the most important standards we have is that FT, fundamentally, shys from 'play to win' styles of RP, and much more towards 'telling a story' styles of RP. What this means is that if you start presenting your nation in such a way that other players begin to think that your nation isn't so much about being a place and your RPs are more about how your glorious military crushes all opponents, rather than a more interesting story, those players are likely to start ignoring you, and perhaps advising other players to do the same.

They would entirely be within their rights to do this. After all, anyone can do anything.

So yes, be creative. Be wild. Write about whatever you want, but remember that just because you can't be banned for writing about how your glorious God-Emperor of an empire of a million worlds rules the whole galaxy with fleets of millions of 100 mile long ships, doesn't mean that anyone else is going to play with you.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:53 am

And just remember, with apologies to Jurassic Park, do not be so preoccupied with whether or not you can that you forget to think if you should.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:04 am

Greetings, everybody. It's been a while. I got a job at a rather remote national park and didn't realize that they wouldn't have non-work internet access, so on arrival I found myself a bit cut off from things. To give you an idea of just how remote, getting to 'civilization' involved an airplane. Combined with a rather hectic set of moves and assorted IRL drama, NS kind of slipped my mind. It's good to be back, though. I'm going to settle in and try to remember how to actually put words together into semi-coherent multi-paragraph statements.

I also see Kyrusia got a promotion. I'll send him some space vodka.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:09 am

Hurrah! Welcome back, I hope you're enjoying your job.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Achesia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:25 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Greetings, everybody. It's been a while. I got a job at a rather remote national park and didn't realize that they wouldn't have non-work internet access, so on arrival I found myself a bit cut off from things. To give you an idea of just how remote, getting to 'civilization' involved an airplane. Combined with a rather hectic set of moves and assorted IRL drama, NS kind of slipped my mind. It's good to be back, though. I'm going to settle in and try to remember how to actually put words together into semi-coherent multi-paragraph statements.

I also see Kyrusia got a promotion. I'll send him some space vodka.

Obi Wan voice: "OMGeverynameistsken... that is a name I havn't heard in a long time..."

Welcome back!

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:48 am

Nice to see you both! I'm trawling through threads and suchlike, but did anything of utterly universe-shattering importance happen? And is there anything interesting brewing that could use a dose of mad space Russians?
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:01 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Nice to see you both! I'm trawling through threads and suchlike, but did anything of utterly universe-shattering importance happen? And is there anything interesting brewing that could use a dose of mad space Russians?

Feel free to check-out the State of the Galaxy. While not exhaustive, it can be useful (and/or entertaining, hopefully).
[KYRU]

Achesia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:11 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Nice to see you both! I'm trawling through threads and suchlike, but did anything of utterly universe-shattering importance happen? And is there anything interesting brewing that could use a dose of mad space Russians?

idk exactly how long its been since you have been here but it seems FT on Nationstates is a bit more cohesive now days. The state of the galaxy thread linked in the post before this is a good resource.

Glorious Terran Empire
Envoy

Founded: Jan 11, 2017
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Glorious Terran Empire » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:10 pm

So when it comes to military sizes, should I pursue a realistic scale with hundreds-of-thousands of ships and hundreds-of-millions of soldiers or should I go for the player-balanced, video-game-esque option of maybe a couple-hundred ships and a few million soldiers?

Because there seems to be differing opinions on that.

Further more, do I write posts that're too wordy and alienating? I've been thinking about that too.
Glorious Empire, because Galactic Empire and Grand Empire were both reserved.
"Uhh..." ~Former President Barack Obama
"Arf Arf!" ~Former Presidential Candidate Hillary R. Clinton
"Bing-Bing-Bong!" ~Former President Donald J. Trump
"You lying dog-faced pony soldier!" ~President Joseph R. Biden

Help me add to the game!

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:16 pm

It's all dependent on what flavor of RP you're in I guess. I do adore the hundreds of years long wars of the pre-historic Forerunner vs. Humanity war in the Halo Lore. A sirege of a single system lasted for decades, thousands if not tens of thousands of warships were blown on the siege for both sides and ultimately it lead to the costliest defeat and victory for both sides of the war. That paved the way for the Flood to eventually take over. I think ultimately that the thousands of ships are good, but only when done right, such as in vast battlefields across literally millions of square kilometers of space between planetary satellites or the trillions of square kilometers needed to cover all approach aspects in a 3D environment.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Glorious Terran Empire
Envoy

Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Glorious Terran Empire » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:23 pm

See, I was thinking that more vast-scale conflicts would ensue what with UV, X-Ray and Gamma-Ray lasers being so readily used and FTL being a thing would expand the battle-space to possibly an entire system if two nations poured their whole military into the system in question. To the point where lightspeed weapons would miss as often as WWII naval guns did due to the travel time of light being a factor in such cosmic distances.
Last edited by Glorious Terran Empire on Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Help me add to the game!

Terrashine
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Terrashine » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Our human civilization has no FTL, colonized billions of star systems, have few millions of biont soldiers and few billions of robotic troops!
We don't do war, memetic subversion is more effective.
Last edited by Terrashine on Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terrashine Factbooks
The Encyclopedia page about our nation contains everything you need to know about our nation.

-=o=- Rain Silvia is neither male nor female! Please, use pronoun 'they' when referring to them. -=o=- Handwavium in our timeline? E=mc2. Let's not fight. -=o=-

News
-=o=- It's currently year 13903. Terrashine is currently 21 years old. -=o=- Anya's colonization fleet arrived at the Anya star system. -=o=-

Glorious Terran Empire
Envoy

Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Glorious Terran Empire » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Right, as for the question of whether I might be writing off-putting-ly long posts?

I know there's not a set-in-stone rule of how long a post should be but when I write three times as much as the others in a thread, I feel like I've gone overboard.

Help me add to the game!

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:44 pm

Glorious Terran Empire wrote:Right, as for the question of whether I might be writing off-putting-ly long posts?

This largely depends on who you roleplay with. It's not the length that matters, though, but the substance. A 40 page post with no substance is just as annoying (if not moreso) than a 40 character post without substance. Conversely, some can pump out a novella filled with substance, atmosphere, and dripping into visceral detail that simply draws the reader in and is enjoyable; likewise, some can post a few sentences and accomplish the same task with as much enjoyment by their reader.

As roleplayers (or writers, depending on how one views this) develop, they, in turn, develop their own style and literary voice. For some (like myself), that style and voice may involve longer posts; others, it might not. I'd suggest to experiment and find what appeals to you and your roleplay partners most, with the note that certain things like this simply take time to learn and develop and to not be overly critical of yourself.
Last edited by Kyrusia on Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[KYRU]

Glorious Terran Empire
Envoy

Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Glorious Terran Empire » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Thank you for the in-depth response, Kyrusia. I'll see what works and ask my RP partners in private what they think works best for the story. Personally, I've always like describing in detail what goes on in a character's head, and how their actions change and are motivated by that thought process.
I've never been a fan of the infamous single-sentence response, but I understand that some people like it short and sweet instead of savoring the content.

Perhaps it was my experience on my other nations that made me prefer longer posts with more character detail and descriptions of things.

Help me add to the game!

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Glorious Terran Empire wrote:I've never been a fan of the infamous single-sentence response, but I understand that some people like it short and sweet instead of savoring the content.

I can give my opinion, which is based on my fading memory of more-or-less objective ways of estimating reading difficulty ("reading grade level"). You seem to like long, unusual words; long sentences; and long paragraphs. All of these things increase the difficulty of reading a passage. That's not bad per se, and sometimes, all of those are the right answer. Sometimes I write that way, either because I have an academic style or because it's IC to do.

But, in my opinion, the unbroken strings of those long things makes your writing exhausting to read. You might want to consider varying the lengths of sentences and paragraphs more, and trying shorter or more common synonyms for words. In my opinion.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents