NATION

PASSWORD

Future Tech Advice and Assistance Thread [O.O.C.]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Avenio wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:What did you expect...no, wait. What's so wanky about it? Everything? I don't know how effective it would be otherwise.

Pretty much everything. You picked random large numbers and picked out a list of vaguely impressive-sounding metals, threw them together and asked us what we thought of them.

:(
Yes, well, I chose them for their high resistance to acids (iridium), high melting point and hardness (tungsten), high strength-to-weight ratio (titanium), durability in the face of projectiles (chromium), and resistance to neutron-induced radioactivity (vanadium), and wonder if these properties still apply in alloy of all five.
The atom numbers were sort of random. I thought a heavy element might have space for technobable special properties. You know, apophenia. Pattern-seeking at random.
I derived the last big number from the fact that I wanted FTL travel to be nearly instantaneous at superluminal velocity, which led to me writing in the draft of my first book that a UCE Exploratory Ship got to Proxima Centauri in two seconds, then dividing that by the distance, roughly, from here to that star. The resultant number is the speed.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:47 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
Auman wrote:
Earth is difficult to exploit because so damn many people claim to be there. It's impossible to be definitive on the subject because of that fact. So, you can ignore it if you want and there will be little consequence. I don't see why it is such an emotional topic.

I don't either, its really weird, they are not even giving advice so there is no point.

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Cheery start to the thread lads. Gorgeous, in point of fact.

I agree.

Mad Jack wrote:You misunderstand me.

The foe system on the forum hides that persons posts. You have to then click on 'display this post' if you even want to read it.

I know, I clicked it to see what he said because I felt like entertaining myself then, but then I got baited.

To which i apologize to all for my participation int he argument.

It may be best that you leave, UEG.

The thread is very clear in that the subject is concerned with FT Prime, which you have vehemently stated that you do not subscribe to. If you would like to discuss general FTing, you may do so within your own thread (of which you are free to define your own definition), or through the RPing Questions thread, which is a more open discussion. Because this is not an officially sanctioned thread by moderation or Mentorship, this is technically a discussion for whichever group is defined by the OP.

It would also do you good to take a break and consider and rejigger your own personal definitions. Likewise, no one can hold you responsible for breaking pesonal Foe lists except yourself. Continually breaking the foe lists suggests that you are not taking this as seriously you should be. As such, I must politely ask that you take a break from the FT thread by leaving. This will not be a permanent removal, but it is one where I think you would immensely benefit from not getting continually sucked into arguments that only end up with both sides being very angry at each other.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Jenrak wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:I don't either, its really weird, they are not even giving advice so there is no point.

I agree.

I know, I clicked it to see what he said because I felt like entertaining myself then, but then I got baited.

To which i apologize to all for my participation int he argument.

The thread is very clear in that the subject is concerned with FT Prime, which you have vehemently stated that you do not subscribe to. If you would like to discuss general FTing, you may do so within your own thread (of which you are free to define your own definition), or through the RPing Questions thread, which is a more open discussion. Because this is not an officially sanctioned thread by moderation or Mentorship, this is technically a discussion for whichever group is defined by the OP.

It would also do you good to take a break and consider and rejigger your own personal definitions. Likewise, no one can hold you responsible for breaking pesonal Foe lists except yourself. Continually breaking the foe lists suggests that you are not taking this as seriously you should be. As such, I must politely ask that you take a break from the FT thread by leaving. This will not be a permanent removal, but it is one where I think you would immensely benefit from not getting continually sucked into arguments that only end up with both sides being very angry at each other.

I don't break the foe list really at all, and only did so this time.

But I still find this information to be useful, I don't do anything myself that would be for another group.

How am I supposed to get my own advice and give advice? Without information that can be supplied, my ability is severally damaged.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:51 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Cheery start to the thread lads. Gorgeous, in point of fact.

:lol: Hilarious sarcasm can be.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:55 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
Jenrak wrote:

I don't break the foe list really at all, and only did so this time.

But I still find this information to be useful, I don't do anything myself that would be for another group.

How am I supposed to get my own advice and give advice? Without information that can be supplied, my ability is severally damaged.

I've provided suggestions to stick to the RP Questions thread. You can attempt to answer questions there. Likewise, there are several smaller RPing groups, or you can start your own RPing group. The possibilities are endless. I must ask that you leave, however, and continued posting within this thread may be grounds for disciplinary action.

Kornosia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Kornosia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:02 pm

I cant figure out why we have two FT advice threads?

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Kornosia wrote:I cant figure out why we have two FT advice threads?

We only have one now. The old one was locked so that this one would be used.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Kornosia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Kornosia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:04 pm

What?!?!?!?!

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Well, it was getting close to 500 pages anyway.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Santheres wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Alternatively, it could be interesting to have an actual RPer be the larger power. I'm certain there would be others that would be up for the task, and such an approach has worked in MT to generally agreeable degrees of success.

This would definitely be preferable, I think, in terms of having people to readily RP with and basically having an in with some established RPers if the larger power is not also new. If they are new, well, you do still have each other which is definitely a good start to having a core group. From a social aspect, I like this idea. From a world-building aspect, so long as you are both concerned with internal consistency, this would also be a great idea.

The only problem would be finding someone with whom you can easily work cooperatively. This requires a bit more than regular cooperative RP does, I think, unless you mean to create the history and then never really think about each other again.

Does Huerdae still linger on Legion? He springs to mind when the words "evil empire" show on my screen, though I doubt he has holdings to part with in the form of a new player.

I suppose that's a good question. Yalos, what are your sapients like? Humans, fish, squid, birds..? There are several FT empires I'm aware of, but matching your race and cultural mindset might be fairly difficult, unless you wish to be an addition only newly annexed, and just as recently seceded.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Kornosia wrote:I cant figure out why we have two FT advice threads?

• It was getting close to 500 pages, and people were talking about spamming it to get it locked
  • Balrogga's pretty hard to reach sometimes
  • Kyrusia apparently had a good, working OP ready
  • I was online

It made sense just to get it over with.

Yalos
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yalos » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Santheres wrote:
This would definitely be preferable, I think, in terms of having people to readily RP with and basically having an in with some established RPers if the larger power is not also new. If they are new, well, you do still have each other which is definitely a good start to having a core group. From a social aspect, I like this idea. From a world-building aspect, so long as you are both concerned with internal consistency, this would also be a great idea.

The only problem would be finding someone with whom you can easily work cooperatively. This requires a bit more than regular cooperative RP does, I think, unless you mean to create the history and then never really think about each other again.

Does Huerdae still linger on Legion? He springs to mind when the words "evil empire" show on my screen, though I doubt he has holdings to part with in the form of a new player.

I suppose that's a good question. Yalos, what are your sapients like? Humans, fish, squid, birds..? There are several FT empires I'm aware of, but matching your race and cultural mindset might be fairly difficult, unless you wish to be an addition only newly annexed, and just as recently seceded.

I didn't imagine a single race would fit my nation. Instead, I kind of hoped to be a hodgepodge of a few different ones- with a human majority of course, because humans are everywhere. Of course, I might need to RP more, and get out a bit more before people let me use their races, but I wanted to be a nation of outcasts and exiles; not some grand glorious empire (though that's very well what it might transform into.)
This idea does interest me, but I'm sort of reluctant to tie myself down to a single player, simply because, what if they leave, or some other complication. Do you think if I could, my nation could've been a disputed area from a multi factional war of sorts, that could've declared autonomy amidst the violence?

Auman
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Santheres wrote:

Would you enjoy making the whole history of the space empire that came before it? If not, then I would come up with some good details, maybe a little history to explain the rebellion, and then leave it at that. No one will fault you for not coming up with everything about your nation's past.

Alternatively, it could be interesting to have an actual RPer be the larger power. I'm certain there would be others that would be up for the task, and such an approach has worked in MT to generally agreeable degrees of success.

I could fill in for the larger power... My current situation actually makes it easy for you to call it quits and strike out on your own. Problem is that I would probably have to bomb you at some point and that's not a very nice thing to do to somebody.
IBNFTW local 8492

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004

Postby Feazanthia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:25 pm

Somewhat ashamed I didn't think of this.

I will be in the corner.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Vaxon
Post Marshal

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaxon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Tagged n' Bagged for future usage...
Greetings, If you're reading this, YOU ARE A STALKER!
Now, in all seriousness, I am an American Male.
Greater Mackonia wrote:"A car carrying a Communist a Capitalist and a Fascist breaks down, the Communist implores for the three to unite and push the car forward, though it may take significant time and misery. The Capitalist declares that the three should hire a taxi, though it will be costly and the taxi only has room for two. The Fascist gets in the car, sounds the horn and pretends the car is still moving."

-A Mack Saying.

New Azura
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Vaxon wrote:Tagged n' Bagged for future usage...

I don't recall seeing your invitation, Mr. Vaxon.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

FRIEND OF KRAVEN (2005-2023)KRAVEN PREVAILS!18 YEARS OF STORIES DELETED

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS
CAPITAL:RAEVENNADEMONYM:AZURGOVERNMENT:SYNDICAL REPUBLICLANGUAGE:AZURI

Her Graceful Excellence the Phaedra
CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura
and the Defender of the Children of Azura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Other Supported Regions —
Esvanovia (P/MT), Teremara (P/MT), The Local Cluster (FT)

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Vaxon
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaxon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm

New Azura wrote:
Vaxon wrote:Tagged n' Bagged for future usage...

"Invitation"? I didn't know you had to be "invited" to a thread that seems to be pretty much for public usage...
Greater Mackonia wrote:"A car carrying a Communist a Capitalist and a Fascist breaks down, the Communist implores for the three to unite and push the car forward, though it may take significant time and misery. The Capitalist declares that the three should hire a taxi, though it will be costly and the taxi only has room for two. The Fascist gets in the car, sounds the horn and pretends the car is still moving."

-A Mack Saying.

New Azura
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Vaxon wrote:
New Azura wrote:

"Invitation"? I didn't know you had to be "invited" to a thread that seems to be pretty much for public usage...

Oh, didn't you get the memo? I'm in charge of Customs and Sexy Guests Enforcement. Without me, this place would devolve into hapless monkeys marrying turtles. :p
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS

CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Vaxon
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaxon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:03 pm

New Azura wrote:
Vaxon wrote:"Invitation"? I didn't know you had to be "invited" to a thread that seems to be pretty much for public usage...

Oh, didn't you get the memo? I'm in charge of Customs and Sexy Guests Enforcement. Without me, this place would devolve into hapless monkeys marrying turtles. :p

... lolwut ...

-A Mack Saying.

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Not a chat thread guys.

To bring this back to the realm of advice, what do you guys think of a fleet of smaller, secondary ships acting as a supplement to a orbital defense grid? Namely something that acts as a screen against troopships and their escorts, or raiders looking to take out the orbital guns while the main enemy fleet slugs it out with the main defensive fleet farther out in local space. These ships would obviously be weaker and only have a few weapons to turn against the enemy, but they'd have a 'quicker' response time in comparison to larger ships or defensive platforms. I figure the ships would be roughly around 150-200m in length and wouldn't be capable of any sort of FTL and would have a operational range comparable to that of Earth's medium orbit. So you wouldn't have to worry about these boats diving into the heavier combat. Think of them as more of a orbital coast guard, though if your enemy forces you into fighting at that range you'd pretty much have to use them in a major capital ship engagement.

Of course, there is no perfect system. even low planetary orbit is still a incredibly massive theater to operate in and there an enemy will always get through, if you're attempting to be real with the scale of things. This sound like a reasonable approach? It's mainly to allow for the pew pew BOOM without filling low orbit with the bigger warships of thundering doom.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

New Azura
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Vocenae wrote:Not a chat thread guys.

To bring this back to the realm of advice, what do you guys think of a fleet of smaller, secondary ships acting as a supplement to a orbital defense grid? Namely something that acts as a screen against troopships and their escorts, or raiders looking to take out the orbital guns while the main enemy fleet slugs it out with the main defensive fleet farther out in local space. These ships would obviously be weaker and only have a few weapons to turn against the enemy, but they'd have a 'quicker' response time in comparison to larger ships or defensive platforms. I figure the ships would be roughly around 150-200m in length and wouldn't be capable of any sort of FTL and would have a operational range comparable to that of Earth's medium orbit. So you wouldn't have to worry about these boats diving into the heavier combat. Think of them as more of a orbital coast guard, though if your enemy forces you into fighting at that range you'd pretty much have to use them in a major capital ship engagement.

Of course, there is no perfect system. even low planetary orbit is still a incredibly massive theater to operate in and there an enemy will always get through, if you're attempting to be real with the scale of things. This sound like a reasonable approach? It's mainly to allow for the pew pew BOOM without filling low orbit with the bigger warships of thundering doom.

Could work; a sort-of rapid response force that could readily protect key installations. Though would an automated system be more efficient and timely than literal ships protecting sensitive areas, unless you enact a form of contingency where they're constantly in place?
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS

CALIXTEIMARAUDER

— Controlled Nations —

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Zepplin Manufacturers
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zepplin Manufacturers » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:33 pm

In most settings these tend to degenerate from a nice rapid response force to a group of monitors. Monitor the word tends to give the image of big heavy armored and just as nasty as main line/wall of battle combatant brutes, a semi mobile PDC, a thug of a ship in short without FTL or long term endurance. A gunslab.

The other proposition is interesting and certainly if you have the operational capacity or want offers some nice RP opportunity and reasonable use as the equivalent of a torpedo fast boat or a rocket interceptor . Small in system deference ships that are more a form of silo babies. They also gives up operational range and endurance but for rapid response and blinding real space maneuverability ..a 200 meter long interceptor, this could be a nasty device with an admittedly short operational time with oh the FT equivalent of big single use boosters and such. A planetary defense and intercept cruiser, just the sort of thing to swat people hurling self defending bolides at you and the like..

Its not bad but unlike the gunslab which you can heavy metal it up with thug tech like nuclear pulse drives and big simple casaba howitzers and nuclear pulse guns , mass driver arrays etc ... mister high tech interceptor has to be all exotics and high energy low volume solutions ...in short beginning very much to intrude on the same spots that most star ships tend to occupy in required resources. This gives the dilemma, local defense or strategic defense, sure for a home or core world its quite reasonable both politically and logistically to go the whole hog if it suits your setting

Such interceptors sitting in the dark in huge cryogenic shrouds, there vast quick start drives and huge stealthy black body whipple shrouds ready to be shriven open does sound good ..but it is vastly vastly better to stop them getting to the system at all than engaging them above a world you need to protect to such an extent you consider large scale strategically static system defenses capable of really standing off fleets. The issue again in logistical terms and in RP ninjitsu occurs, should your massive system deference be able to stand off said main invasion fleet would it not have been better to invest in a fleet of you own in the first place?
Last edited by Zepplin Manufacturers on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?!
About Me

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Is there anyway to work this PT design into a FT style?

NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Gameside factbooks not canon
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
>>>Member of Septentrion, Atlas, Alithea, Tyran<<<
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:52 pm

You do realize that there is a player that flies around with a giant revolver that fires 1:1 gold scale models of the Vatican, right? And has the Winter Palace from Imperial Russia flying around in space.

So yes, you can have that design flying around in space, but you'll have to handwave essentially all the technology that makes it capable of doing so.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:56 pm

If it's being seen as an "orbital coast guard", then that to me implies being oriented around duties other than regular combat. Customs inspections, anti-stealth operations (and yes I know stealth in space is unrealistic), rescuing people off damaged spacecraft, that sort of stuff. It'd be able to fight minor skirmishes, but would need to call on the military proper for bigger threats.

On a sidenote, I've long used the term "monitor" to refer to a ship that's basically one big gun and not a lot else, so the glass cannons of the space force.

On working the design into FT, sure. Lots of ways to do it. Going lolhueg is an obvious one. Or another I can see is mirroring it on the horizontal, so you'd end up with either a sort of diamond shape or an X shape, either way seeming to defy gravity. Or you could have it actually defy gravity and levitate.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents