NATION

PASSWORD

The Commentary Radio Broadcasting

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Founded: May 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:49 pm

To: The Commentary

The construction of our space elevator has been going smoothly. We are interested to know if you would like to cover the story and get and interview with the head scientist and director of our space program. If you want, we cans set that up for you. Here is the link to the official thread from the UWSSA.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23443

The Commentary
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Commentary » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:05 pm

Unified Western States wrote:To: The Commentary

The construction of our space elevator has been going smoothly. We are interested to know if you would like to cover the story and get and interview with the head scientist and director of our space program. If you want, we cans set that up for you. Here is the link to the official thread from the UWSSA.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23443

Dear sir,

We are most interested in your space elevator. We will be in contact with you post-haste.

From,

The Commentary.

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Founded: May 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:06 pm

To: The Commentary

That is most appreciated. We await your contact with baited breath.

The Commentary
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Commentary » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:44 am

The Commentary; Education, Entertainment, And Something Else Beginning With E

On Air In Three, Two, One...

"Attention ladies and gentlemen, this is an urgent announcement from The Commentary, telling you, the listener, that todays broadcast has begun and that your neighbours are missing out on todays fantastically topical newss items! Quickly save them from their ignorance by hurling a brick at their windows to alert them to this tradegy; trust me, it's worth it.

"For today we have quite an interesting story for you, bringing together Harold Flint, our distinguished and reknown political correspondant, and our head of scientific inquires, Eddy in the basement down stairs, to give us a fascinating interview regarding an advanced scientific project being developed in the Democratic Republic of Unified Western States; passing over to you Harold."

"Thank you Steven, and I would like to thank Mr. Arnold Krhoms, head of the Unified Western States Space Agency, on behalf of all our listeners at home, for joining us here today. Mr. Kholms is of course the director and coordinator of this collosal project, and it is him whom myself and Eddy will be addressing. Eddy, before we turn to Mr. Krhoms can you give us a summary of the project?"

"That I can Harold, the U.W.S has taken up the mantle of becoming a space visionary, by building what is known as a space elevator; under the name of Project Starlift. As always there are difficulties in building such a daring projct as this, but from what I have seen so far it all seems to be going smoothly, with interesting innovations and ideas coming left right and center to combat the various problems involved. The base of the space elevator is even being turned into an aquatic habitat for animals; whilst the counter wieght has been constructud in the form of a hotel. Truly fascinating stuff Harold."

"Indeed it is Eddy, thank you for that, well, now we turn to our distinguished guest, Mr Kholm, what is your role in this project?"

"I am director and coordinator of the project. Officially, I am in charge of the project, but due to the grand nature of it, the President has taken personal interest in it."

"Indeed it can be considered to be quite a popularity boost for the President, such a possibility was pointed out by your own nations media I believe, but tell me, how did the idea for this project come about?"

"Well, the original intent was a weapon, I am sad to say. The original plan was for a massive mass-driver capable of destroying enemy satellites. However, after our Congress passed a bill that promised to be more peaceful, we changed the project to an elevator."

"Alas, for many of todays great scientific acheivements have thier roots in the methods for war, whether it be the internet, the original rockets, or all manner of other technology. But, it is indeed a great sight to see a nation such as yours turn it's priorities around and activly pursue a more peaceful policy.

"Now, considering that this project has cost the total G.D.P for several hundred nations yearly domestic incomes to construct, although your nation has received truly astronomical donations from across the world, what will it's purpose be once completed? After all, it has to earn it's keep so to speak."

"It will function as a cheap way to get materials such as satellites, into space. It also gives access to the orbital hotel/space station that acts as the counterweight. It will also serve as an eventual jumping off point for moon colonization."

"Your nation is certainly looking towards the stars then. Out of curiosity, many nations have expressed interest in this project, will other realms and corporations be allowed to use this elevator of yours?"

"Yes. Any nation who wishes to can pay our space agency to take supplies, astronauts or anything they need into space. As for corporations, they can use it as well. Corporations and their nations that donated to the project will receive discounts."

"Indeed, now back to the project in terms of cost... how much has it taken to contruct in total?"

"The total cost hasn't been decided yet. It will depend on how much assistance we get with the elevator. The funds were set aside from the budget by President Clark. We also have received billions in donations."

"Of course of course, now, back to political motivations here, we've already spoken about the benefits this heralds for the current President, but what kind of effect will this have on the international scene? Are you concerned about the projects safety?"

"Not in the least. We have military forces from ours and two other nations militaries guarding it. Any attack would be futile and suicidal. The space station also mounts large laser beams that can destroy incoming threats, such as asteroids or missiles."

"A comprehensive defense then, now i'm just going to pass you over to Eddy who has a quick question regarding the elevator."

"That I do, tell me Arnold, this is a great project you have here, but what of the difficulties you encountered? Were the difficulties you faced great?"

"You couldn't imagine. Since we are not building on the equator, we are equipping the counterweight station with VASIMR rockets. These rockets use little fuel and give a lot of thrust. They are experimental and we are still testing them. The largest problem was the cable. The cable had to be light enough to easily construct yet strong enough to hold the elevator. We decided to use carbon-nanotubes. These are tiny nano-scopic tubes of carbon that, when put together, are thousands of times stronger than steel, yet extremely lightweight. They are also massively expensive to produce."

"Your nation is quite the pioneer then! If you go commercial I shall certainly look forwards to the day when I can eat a burger in zero gravity atop your space hotel!"

"Thank you for that... insightful question Eddy, now Mr Krhoms, is there anything you'd like to say about the project from a personal stand point?"

"Yes. This is the greatest project our nation has undertaken. It will be a monumental achievement for humankind and will advance our space abilities beyond belief. We shall share this achievement with all of humanity. "

"A proud and profound accomplishment indeed, with that ladies and gentlemen I wish to thank Mr. Krhoms, Director of the Unified Western States Space Agency, for sharing his nations project with us; and on that fascinating note, I bid you all, good night."

----------

The UWS Project Starlift can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23443
Many thanks to UWS for supplying the interview.

Previous

Return to International Incidents