NATION

PASSWORD

A Stormy World (PT, OOC, Signups Open)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Nation Name: New Caliphate of Egypt
Nation Leader: Caliph Mahmud Ibn Botros
Government Type: Kingdom
Heraldry (Nation Flag/Symbol):
Population: 3.7 million
Religion: Islam, but others are tolerated
Nation History (2-3 Paragraphs): The Fatimid Caliph ruled Egypt, but there was an old man named Botros Ibrahim. He taught people to be forgiving, and kind, and to tolerate, because that was human nature, and it was what Allah had intended. He taught much better than the priests in the temple and by the time the authorities realized his danger towards the government in teaching a new religion, he was too well-respected to be touched. Eventually, the people of Cairo & Alexandria presented a petition to the Sultan of the Caliph. Surrender all land east of [somewhere] and we will let you leave peacefully and maybe even ally. If you don't, we will revolt. By this time, the old man was nearly dead so he couldn't stop them from being violent. The Fatimid Caliph had a weak leader and he just gave up and moved to Libya. The old man's son, Mahmud Ibn Botros, became Caliph. However, due to the teachings of Botros, it became much more like a Kingdom than the theocracy most Caliphs were. Most loyalists didn't dare to speak up against the Botros supporters so they either shut up, or moved to Libya.
Leader History (1-2 Paragraphs): Basically the above.
Nation Territory (Please edit map to show your claim): https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ht65yjvgmaork7/RPMAP.png
2-3 Examples of RP Quality:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=216155

P.S. I estimated the population of Egypt using some other numbers, please tell me if it's alright.

Groko
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Groko » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Alleniana wrote:Nation Name: New Caliphate of Egypt
Nation History (2-3 Paragraphs): The Fatimid Caliph ruled Egypt, but there was an old man named Botros Ibrahim. He taught people to be forgiving, and kind, and to tolerate, because that was human nature, and it was what Allah had intended. He taught much better than the priests in the temple and by the time the authorities realized his danger towards the government in teaching a new religion, he was too well-respected to be touched. Eventually, the people of Cairo & Alexandria presented a petition to the Sultan of the Caliph. Surrender all land east of [somewhere] and we will let you leave peacefully and maybe even ally. If you don't, we will revolt. By this time, the old man was nearly dead so he couldn't stop them from being violent. The Fatimid Caliph had a weak leader and he just gave up and moved to Libya. The old man's son, Mahmud Ibn Botros, became Caliph. However, due to the teachings of Botros, it became much more like a Kingdom than the theocracy most Caliphs were. Most loyalists didn't dare to speak up against the Botros supporters so they either shut up, or moved to Libya.
Nation Territory (Please edit map to show your claim): https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ht65yjvgmaork7/RPMAP.png

P.S. I estimated the population of Egypt using some other numbers, please tell me if it's alright.

You... I WAS GONNA MAKE AN EGYPT!!! :(

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Groko wrote:
Alleniana wrote:Nation Name: New Caliphate of Egypt

You... I WAS GONNA MAKE AN EGYPT!!! :(

Sorry...but I did reserve it yesterday.

Groko
Minister

Ex-Nation

Application

Postby Groko » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:32 pm

See Below
Last edited by Groko on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Alleniana wrote:-snip-

Unfortunately I cannot accept this application. Please edit it so that the Faction Bio has the following:
- A detailed and realistic history of your nation.
- An account of the culture, language etc of your nation.
- A bit of info about your nation's military.

And also please put in a leader bio, detailing his attitude, method of rule etc.

Once you have done this then I will consider accepting it. Thanks! :)

Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Groko wrote:Please Reserve Southern Spain!

Emirate of Córdoba, coming in!

Reserved.

The Keystone Federation
Senator

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Keystone Federation » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Nation Name: The Barcelonian Empire
Nation Leader: Benito Aleandres IV
Government Type: Empire

Population: 5.2 Million
Religion: The largest religion is Christianity, however toleration is allowed.
Formed 300 odd years ago, the Barcelonian Empire was based around the spreading of Christianity. The first ruler of the Empire was Havieto Agulaira. Havieto was a priest and was believed to be sent by god himself, thus making him the worshiped figure within the nation, allowing him to control it as he saw fit. One of the first thing Havieto did was be sure to spread his Empire's claims from the Bay of Biscay to the Gulf of Lyon. The second, rid of all other major religions from his Empire and the outlawing of religious propaganda not pertaining to Christianity.

However, shortly after the outlawing of certain religions, rumors of many different militia groups began emerging and before long, the Barcelonian Empire was conquered by a man named Havier Mendez. Havier made it clear that all religions be allowed in the Empire and that trading ports be established on all sea borders. He also made it sure that the border be extended both north and south and that the birth of an official military be conceived to protect the land. Although he made it so trade was more open with other nations, he also stepped up military funds, making the Barcelonian Military one of the strongest and most developed in the region. Then, only 10 years after Havier's reign, he was assassinated, which brought into power the Aleandres royal family.

The Aleandres family was the wealthiest of the Empire and prevented several civil wars from occurring with their expansive knowledge on politics and internal diplomacy. Today, the Aleandres family is still the ruling family of the Empire and has grown the military although it has been downgraded from the original Mendez ruling's quality. The Aleandres rule mainly focuses on education and trade, with military being a secondary subject.

The current ruling family in the Barcelonian Empire, is the Aleandres family. As said in the last few paragraphs of the Nation History, they were the wealthiest family within the Empire and came into power by assassination of Havier Mendez. Their main focuses are on education, mainly on fields of law, transportation, and engineerings, as they are major supporters of the economy. Secondary focuses are on trade, military, and civil obedience.

On the subject of trade, the Aleandres family has built a plentiful amount of new ports along the Gulf of Lyon and the Bay of Biscay, both military and commercial. On the subject of military, the Aleandres family has actually toned down it's original version produced by Havier Mendez. It contains an expansive Army, however the Navy is slightly smaller, only enough to protect the ocean territories of the Empire. On the subject of civil obedience, the Aleandres family has given a complete reform to the law enforcement of the Empire. Guards of the Empire go through rigorous training for around 2 years before they become a guard and are spread out equally throughout all major cities and ports of the Empire.

Nation Territory (Please edit map to show your claim): Okay so this is going to look very...odd. But, I counted, it's a total of 19, oh and don't ask about the odd inverted colors, it's a long story..basically, paint was being dumb and I couldn't bucket any of it, so yeah. Anyway, here you are: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/map2q.png/
2-3 Examples of RP Quality: Free World RP, Insomnia RP, An Alternate World RP

-Plus I think the histories above check out okay :)

The Keystone Federation
"Virtue, Liberty, and Independence"
Population: 236.594 Million

"It's never too late to be what you might have been."
When I participate in a roleplay in ii I expect realism, if you attack me with a flying aircraft carrier or a giant robot, I'm probably going to leave.
Currently at War with: Kamchastkia, Bydo

Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:40 pm

The Keystone Federation wrote:-snip-

Good application, my only desire is that you take out the bit saying that you focus on Education and Transportation and put something in a bit more apt for 1000 AD. Other than that it seems good.

(You can still encourage education through religious institutions etc, but a nationwide education program, which is what I think your saying, is a bit too modern.)

The Keystone Federation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Keystone Federation » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:13 pm

Annaliea wrote:
The Keystone Federation wrote:-snip-

Good application, my only desire is that you take out the bit saying that you focus on Education and Transportation and put something in a bit more apt for 1000 AD. Other than that it seems good.

(You can still encourage education through religious institutions etc, but a nationwide education program, which is what I think your saying, is a bit too modern.)

Alright, can you reserve my land claim until I'm available to update the app?

The Keystone Federation

When I participate in a roleplay in ii I expect realism, if you attack me with a flying aircraft carrier or a giant robot, I'm probably going to leave.

Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:24 pm

The Keystone Federation wrote:
Annaliea wrote:

Alright, can you reserve my land claim until I'm available to update the app?

Yup, absolutely :)

The Keystone Federation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Keystone Federation » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Nation Name: The Barcelonian Empire
Nation Leader: Benito Aleandres IV
Government Type: Empire
Population: 5.2 Million
Religion: The largest religion is Christianity, however toleration is allowed.
Formed 300 odd years ago, the Barcelonian Empire was based around the spreading of Christianity. The first ruler of the Empire was Havieto Agulaira. Havieto was a priest and was believed to be sent by god himself, thus making him the worshiped figure within the nation, allowing him to control it as he saw fit. One of the first thing Havieto did was be sure to spread his Empire's claims from the Bay of Biscay to the Gulf of Lyon. The second, rid of all other major religions from his Empire and the outlawing of religious propaganda not pertaining to Christianity.

However, shortly after the outlawing of certain religions, rumors of many different militia groups began emerging and before long, the Barcelonian Empire was conquered by a man named Havier Mendez. Havier made it clear that all religions be allowed in the Empire and that trading ports be established on all sea borders. He also made it sure that the border be extended both north and south and that the birth of an official military be conceived to protect the land. Although he made it so trade was more open with other nations, he also stepped up military funds, making the Barcelonian Military one of the strongest and most developed in the region. Then, only 10 years after Havier's reign, he was assassinated, which brought into power the Aleandres royal family.

The Aleandres family was the wealthiest of the Empire and prevented several civil wars from occurring with their expansive knowledge on politics and internal diplomacy. Today, the Aleandres family is still the ruling family of the Empire and has grown the military although it has been downgraded from the original Mendez ruling's quality. The Aleandres rule mainly focuses on agriculture and trade, with military being a secondary subject.

The current ruling family in the Barcelonian Empire, is the Aleandres family. As said in the last few paragraphs of the Nation History, they were the wealthiest family within the Empire and came into power by assassination of Havier Mendez. Their main focuses are on agriculture, mainly on fishing for food, hunting for food, and trapping for furs, as they are major supporters of the economy and the food source for the population. Secondary focuses are on architecture, military, and civil obedience.

On the subject of architecture, the Aleandres family has built a plentiful amount of new walls around the main Empire, which does not include the complete borders but rather a wall around the main urban areas of central Barcelonia. On the subject of military, the Aleandres family has actually toned down it's original version produced by Havier Mendez. It contains an expansive Army, however the Navy is slightly smaller, only enough to protect the ocean territories of the Empire. On the subject of civil obedience, the Aleandres family has given a complete reform to the law enforcement of the Empire. Guards of the Empire go through rigorous training for around 2 years before they become a guard and are spread out equally throughout all major cities and ports of the Empire.

Nation Territory (Please edit map to show your claim): Okay so this is going to look very...odd. But, I counted, it's a total of 19, oh and don't ask about the odd inverted colors, it's a long story..basically, paint was being dumb and I couldn't bucket any of it, so yeah. Anyway, here you are: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/map2q.png/
2-3 Examples of RP Quality: Free World RP, Insomnia RP, An Alternate World RP

-Plus I think the histories above check out okay :)

Nevermind! Here you are good sir, :)

The Keystone Federation

Groko
Minister

Ex-Nation

Ehm, Repost

Postby Groko » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Nation Name: The Córdoban Caliphate
Nation Leader: Caliph Hisham II
Government Type: Monarchy

Population: 2,550,200
Religion: Islam, Others Tolerated
Nation History (2-3 Paragraphs)

Abd-ar-Rahman I became emir of Córdoba in 756; on the run for six years after the Umayyads had lost the position of caliph held in Damascus in 750. Intent on regaining a position of power, he defeated the existing Islamic rulers of the area who defied Umayyad rule and united various local fiefdoms into an emirate. For the next century and a half, his descendants continued as emirs of Córdoba, with nominal control over the rest of al-Andalus and sometimes even parts of western North Africa, but with real control, particularly over the marches along the Christian border, their power vacillating depending on the competence of the individual emir. Indeed, the power of emir Abdallah ibn Muhammad (circa 900), for example, did not extend beyond Córdoba itself.

The death of al-Hakam II in 986 (Real Date Alerted for Plot) marked a major turning point in the history of the Caliphate of Córdoba. Before his death, al-Hakam named his 10 year old son Hisham II as successor. Seeing that the child was to young to be competent to be Caliph, yet having sworn an oath of obedience to him, Al-Mansur Ibn Abi Aamir (the top adviser to Hisham's father, also known as Almanzor) pronounced him Caliph. Ibn Abi Aamir acted as guardian to the young Hisham, exercising the Caliph's powers until he was of age. While doing so however, he isolated Hisham in Córdoba while systematically eradicating opposition to his own rule. He allowed Berbers from Africa to immigrate steadily to al-Andalus in order to build up his base of support. --(Break From History)-- However, after the Berbers began ransacking southern towns and villages and threatening the security of the Caliphate, revolts erupted against Almanzor. One such revolt in 990 lead to a storming of the Imperial Palace, and Almanzor was killed in the fighting. For the next four years, the Caliphate was in a period of disarray and anachy as new "caliphs" and emirs claimed sovereignty over the lands. Hisham II, now in his late twenties, lead a coalition-which contained Muslims, Jews, and pagan Africans-forces to reestablish the Caliphate. After years of war, peace was declared (994), but the Caliphate had lost much of its northern land and island claims to revolts and Christian incursions.

Leader History (1-2 Paragraphs)

At the turn of the century, Caliph Hisham II (Aged 26) is currently the leader of a somewhat stable kingdom. An overwhelming majority of his subjects are Muslim, and the Islamic clerics are determined to use their influence. The Reclamation Wars, which many under his rule still see as unfinished, have left the Caliphate with sizable African and Jewish minorities, and they also demand equal and fair rights. His success in reunifying the bulk of Cordoba was owed to his loyal generals, men from his father's reign who still, for better or worse, trust in their Caliph and are eager to help him. The task of balancing their influence is an example of old troubles that will plague the new kingdom.

The Caliph himself is young, and largely untested. As he tries to stabilize and further unify his new kingdom, old scars will emerge, and he will have to make difficult choices. Under his reign, his largest and current task is rebuilding his father's empire. Civil war has ruined the country's infrastructure, and the Caliphate's economy is in shambles. The people, however, are excited about his rule and ready for a new era. Cordoba maybe a force to be reckoned with once more.

Nation Territory (Please edit map to show your claim):

Southern Spain

Notable Exports: Coal, Silver, Lead, Copper, Textiles, Ceramics, Glassware, Metalwork, and Agriculture. (Only nation in Europe that sells/grows Rice, Watermelon, Banana, Eggplant and Hard Wheat).

Notable Imports: Stone (Granite, Sandstone, Limestone,etc), Ivory,

So say we all
A Nation Reborn
Last edited by Groko on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Okay! Both applications are accepted. I will now get onto updating the OP on this and creating the IC, which should be up within the day :) Applications are still open for those who still wish to join in.

Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:32 pm

The IC is up! Feel free to post! Here is the link:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=216577
Last edited by Annaliea on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saubre
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saubre » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Yay! Time to post :p

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Nation Name: New Caliphate of Egypt
Heraldry (Nation Flag/Symbol): https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qwow3r4hiamr ... _Egypt.gif
Nation History (2-3 Paragraphs):
The nation was born of a revolt by the Egyptian people against the Fatimid Caliphate which ruled this area. The Turkish and Berber factions of the government were embroiled in internal affairs, trying to get power over each other which caused riots among the troops and when a drought came in 984, the administration was too tied up to provide much aid to anything/anyone. Egypt, being the breadbasket it is, was soon converged on by gangs and other rogue groups attempting to steal what food was left. A relatively minor but reasonably wealthy religious group tried restoring order by organizing a militia in early 986. The militia became a sort of mafia which became very organized. The Fatimid Caliphate collapsed after losing Egypt and the militia established an independent "provisional" government with its leaders at the head indefinitely. Eventually, political intrigue within the group tore it apart into two main factions. One, lead by a liberal-minded man called Botros Muhammad Ayatollah who was originally from the religious group and the other led by more totalarian Achmed li-Deen Allah, who claimed to be related to the Fatimid Caliph Al-Mu'izz li-Deen Allah. However, his popular power base imploded when the Fatimid government in exile was revealed to be dealing in "selling" the rights of Egypt (to Nubians in late 989) which they did not have, de jure or de facto since independence had been declared. Botros ascended to the throne of the New Caliphate of Egypt in 990, but died in 999 after losing touch with the political reality due to the stress from making some reforms including steps to abolishing slavery. His son, Mahmud Ibn Botros became Caliph in time for the year 1000 AD. The military is composed of about 25,000 professional veterans (from the riot fighting) plus another 25,000 who are really just more like police, or people who'd throw rocks at the enemies if they attacked. :p The language used is Arabic, with a few oddities since it's Egypt, but essentially the same. The people here are a bit more open and forgiving in rights and civility, but they don't trust foreigners much due to the debacle with the Fatimids. They are however, good people at heart. Trade and diplomatic relations are healthy, adn the trade is mostly with Greeks to the north, especially Byzantium, Nubians to the south and Libyans to the west. There is also some limited interaction with other Arabs, but not much considering their newfound identity. At sea, ships have reached as far as Rome, India and Ethiopia, but not much further, as the economy has not yet recovered enough to sail to, e.g. China.

Leader History (1-2 Paragraphs):
Mahmud Ibn Botros is the son of Botros Muhummad Ayatollah who was the one who gained control after the Fatimid collapse. He is around 37 years old and male. His height is around about 1.87cm, tall for and Egyptian. He has the same sort of olive colour skin as the rest of the Egyptian nation and brown eyes. He was born in Alexandria to his father in 963AD and helped fight during the riots. Because of this, he has reasonably quick reflexes and good strength. Due to the tutors his father hired him, he is also skilled in diplomacy and war planning. His mother died in the food riots so he has a deep hate of outlaw gangs and such. Overall, he is a strong-minded leader and will rule probably rule fairly.

The messenger bowed respectfully to the king and walked out of the room, shutting the door behind him. He briskly ambled through the regal carpeted corridors of the Palace until he came to the door. He showed the guard the paper with the King's Seal on it and he was let through. Running down to the docks, it wasn't hard to find the big stone building that stood alone among all the sailors' shacks, crates and taverns. He met the Shipmaster as he came out of the building.
"What can I do for you?"
"I've got a message from the king for you."
Ah, I see, give it here then."
Handing over the parchment, the messenger stood next to the door, no doubt waiting for the reply to be written. The Shipmaster walked back into the tower and sat down at a table. He read the scroll;
CODE: SELECT ALL
To the Shipmaster of Alleniana City, Fred Wringleton
I hope you have had a good day, because I'm going to ask you to do some work.
He laughed, that was the King he knew.
CODE: SELECT ALL
I need you to order 4 galleons and 8 galleys to be built, nice and fast but that can carry things pretty well too. General use ships. Tell me when they're ready, we're going on an expedition.

Sincerely, King of Alleniana, you-know-who

He picked up his quill and started scratching his acquiescence on another piece of parchment.

"So, what are we doing today?"
Joanne stretched and yawned.
"We're going to scour over the hardware warehouse we saw yesterday, the one we saw from the maintenance tower."
Peter, who was always up early and yet always somehow managed never to be sleepy was already combing his hair by the time Joanne finished processing what hardware store he was talking about. The two lived in a smallish brick home near the outskirts of the camp. When they had met each other, Joanne had already been travelling to the NCC, and she persuaded Peter to come with her. They had been assigned to be a scavenging team together since at the time there had been a shortage, and since they seemed to be good friends. It was a good choice, and in the four months or so they had been here they had enjoyed scavenging, at least, more than they enjoyed farming.

They greeted the taskmaster for today with a wave, and he tossed an empty sack over to them after ticking them off. They knew him; not closely, but enough to recognize each other and know their names. That was about the case with most of the people in the camp, but occasionally there were new arrivals, or people who they hadn't met by chance.

Walking off past the gates, they soon sighted the door which they had thought to be the entrance to the relatively out-of-the-way hardware warehouse. Going into a dark tunnel, the pair was a little spooked, but it wasn't more than a few seconds that they emerged into the sunlight up a few steps. They picked their way around what appeared to have once been a truck, but that had been burned out. Peter kicked around, hoping for some pipes or electronics that may have had been of use but it was all burned beyond recognition except some of the larger metal parts which could be found in abundance while Joanne picked up a couple of walkie-talkies that were oddly lying sheltered under a piece of corrugated tin. They looked around and saw the warehouse was not actually a warehouse, but a series of warehouses surrounding a central courtyard. They headed to the nearest door to take a look and began another yet day of work in the November City Conglomerate.

Last edited by Alleniana on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Keystone Federation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Keystone Federation » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Annaliea wrote:The IC is up! Feel free to post! Here is the link:
http://forum.nationstates.net/posting.php?mode=post&f=5

Wrong url, lol don't worry i did that once too, :P

Also, are you going to update the map?
Last edited by The Keystone Federation on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Keystone Federation

Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:33 pm

Woops :blush: The proper URL is in the OP, and I'll edit that post as well.

And yeah, I'm editing the map right now :)

The Keystone Federation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Keystone Federation » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:36 pm

Annaliea wrote:Woops :blush: The proper URL is in the OP, and I'll edit that post as well.

And yeah, I'm editing the map right now :)

Awesome, may I say, I am impressed with your running of rps, you should do it more often, as I haven't seen many of your rps around :)

The Keystone Federation

Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Alleniana wrote:-snip-

Accepted, thanks for the good editing! I'll put your claim on the map.

@Keystone Thanks! I have tried now and again, but the majority of them have failed due to lack of interest mainly :/

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Sassinia wrote:http://i48.tinypic.com/34xnm1j.png

A non-fuzzy map! Perfect for MS Paint!

What's with the browned-out areas?

The Keystone Federation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Keystone Federation » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Imma wait for the updated map to be posted until I go IC to prevent confusion :)

@Annaleia, that's a shame, because from the looks of this RP, I'd infer that your others have to be somewhere along the lines of interesting :)

The Keystone Federation

Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:51 pm

Okay, new map is up, and the lists of Accepted Nations has been updated!

@Keystone Thanks! :blush:

The Keystone Federation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Keystone Federation » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:53 pm

Sweet, now to call out for negotiations with my possible powder keg to the south of me...in case your confused I'm a mostly Catholic nation whilst they are Islamic..so, yeah.

The Keystone Federation

Bassyruk
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bassyruk » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 pm

My kingdom is more or less defined by its Christian denominational conflicts, can we make an exception due to the fact that Arianism is a non-Trinitarian denomination?

Nation Name: The Kingdom of the Vandals, sometimes the kingdom as a whole is erroneously referred to as Carthage, or Vandali (though this is truly a plural noun meaning the people and not the kingdom)
Nation Leader: Full Title, including all claims: Gunderic III, By the Grace of God King of the Vandals, Alans, Goths and Romans, Lord of Africa, Hispania, Libya, Cyrenacia, Sicily,the Balearic Islands, Sardinia and Corsica, Executor of the Holy Apostolic Church of Carthage, Protector of All Followers of Christ.
Government Type: Monarchy
Heraldry (Nation Flag/Symbol): I really couldn't find anything, except for the back of this coin. And I can't draw or design worth a crap so I won't bother.
http://tinyurl.com/c3b2cgb
Population: 3,000,000
Religion: Arianism (official, if necessary I can change this), Paganism, Islam and Catholicism are prevalent
Nation History (2-3 Paragraphs): The Kingdom of the Vandals was founded in 429 by King Genseric. The North African kingdom prospered by looting areas of Roman settlement in the West and East. Tensions between the Vandals and Romans led to the sack of Rome in 455. Religious strife characterized politics in the Kingdom of the Vandals. When King Hilderic began a policy of toleration, he was overthrown by his more fanatic cousin Gelimer. However, the Eastern Empire invaded to restore Hilderic. After Gelimer's forces were defeated at the battle of Ad Decimum, Hilderic managed to escape from prison and led an uprising against Gelimer. Together, Hilderic's faction and the Byzantines managed to defeat the usurper, and Hilderic's throne was restored to him. Hilderic's escape came as a surprise to the Romans, who expected to conquer the Vandals. As a concession to the Romans who had a mind to restore the full empire, Hilderic ceded all possessions of the Vandals outside North Africa to the Eastern Empire. Thus, the Vandal Kingdom continued.

However, the split between Arians and Trinitarians was only one of the religious tensions of the kingdom. Hilderic was succeeded by his son Odovacar I (538-561), who continued his father's policy of toleration. During his reign, a mystic known as Wotamar claimed to experience visions from the old Vandal gods, from before the migration. He said the gods told him that if the Vandals did not return the true gods of their ancestors, they would face destruction. Wotamar led a pagan religious revival, combining elements of Germanic paganism with native African religion. He soon led an army known as Wotan's Hammer numbering tens of thousands, Vandals and Berbers alike, against the corrupt and vile "Roman institutions." The insurrection was soon put down; however Wotan's Hammer remains a prominent faction in Vandal society, in the form of secret societies of the upper class and desert resistance groups. Also, the rebellion led many Vandals to abandon their Christian ways, even if they did not support the rebellion, and thus paganism became an element in Vandal society once more.

The last and greatest religious strife felt by the Vandals was the Muslim invasion in 640. King Visimer II, known as the Brave, successfully repelled the invaders, with the help of Berber tribes, Wotan's Hammer, and support from several Catholic nations. Visimer was the first to be bestowed the title "Protector of All Followers of Christ" and all his successors have followed in that tradition. His son and successor, Adamund I, after a crushing defeat against the Muslims outside Leptis Magna in 675, decided that the Church of Arianism needed strong leadership if it was to oppose Trinitarianism, Wotan's Hammer, and the overwhelming Muslim invaders. In 676 he began to institutionalize the Arian Church, calling it the "Holy Apostolic Church of Carthage," sometimes referred to as the "Church of Vandals." Adamund made the King of the Vandals the "Executor" of the Church, performing the "holy missions" of the Church, and established a Patriarch in Carthage to handle all other Church affairs.

Generally, the Vandal kingdom has worked to restore the beneficial Roman customs, buildings and institutions. The Vandals have rebuilt their capital, Carthage, to a greatness surpassing the Roman city, perhaps surpassing the seat of the ancient Carthaginian Empire. As such, the Vandals began to view themselves as perpetuators of the Roman Empire. When other countries developed their own currency, the Vandal kingdom continued to use the denarius-based system. Also, the Vandal kings adopted the title "King of the Romans." Despite the victory of Leptis Magna, the stock of Genseric have been forced to battle many attempted Muslim invasions, and even among the Catholic nations that consider them heretics, the Vandal kingdom is seen, like the Byzantine Empire and Ethiopia, as a bulwark of Christianity against the onslaught of Islam. This has limited, but not stopped, the number of wars on the kingdom by ambitious or zealous European Christian rulers.

I would try to give a little more recent history but I don't know what nations will be around so I'll hold off on that. Anyways from the 600s on the Vandal kingdom has developed from a tribal state to a "sophisticated" feudal monarchy. Also, the Arian faith holds strong in their lands.

Leader History (1-2 Paragraphs): Gunderic III is the most recent ruler in one of the of the longest-lasting royal houses of medieval Europe. He, like many of his predecessors, follow Hilderic's tradition of limited toleration. King Gunderic has even permitted limited toleration of "The Old Faith," as it is known, believing that if pagans are permitted to practice their heathen ways openly they will be less likely to resort to the underhanded and subversive methods of Wotan's Hammer. However, while Shi'ite Muslims are welcomed as refugees in Vandali as a form of opposition to the Sunni Abbasid Caliphate, Islam is entirely persecuted. Gunderic has begun construction of a wall along the eastern border of the kingdom to hinder Muslim incursions, so that they could only attack from the desert. This is unlikely, as the Saharan Berber tribes are only partially Muslim, and almost as many have been converted by Vandal missions or support their indigenous religion, or are mercenaries, vassals or allies of the Vandal Kingdom. Gunderic has generally followed on his father's success in keeping the Sahara friendly. Also, he has been adamant in pressing the kingdom's Mediterranean claims, though he has not been so adamant that he would risk war when under Muslim threat.
Nation Territory (Please edit map to show your claim):
http://s2.postimage.org/ov4hn3m3d/Untitled.png
For some reason Paint wouldn't let me fill in the regions, so I just put a dark blue dot in the region instead.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=177898
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=173458
Last edited by Bassyruk on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents