NATION

PASSWORD

Medieval RP - Feudal Lords OOC (CLOSED)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Pawn and King
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Medieval RP - Feudal Lords OOC (CLOSED)

Postby Pawn and King » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:31 pm

This thread is an attempt to get a decent Medieval RP going - I've been part of a few, but they never really take off. Hopefully, we can change that.

Setting

The timeframe is 1050 - 1150ish. Essentially, the idea is for there to be various factions establishing diplomatic ties, trade, whilst also attempting to conquer the world (see: map). As such, conquest will eventually be the end goal, however I stress that this will be realistic. For example, a Baron with 1,000 serfs could not realistically conquer an Empire with a standing army of 10,000. Similarly, an Empire will not be able to conquer another Empire unless they have the means to do so - whether they have the approval of religious institutions (or power to defy said institutions), enough resources to sustain a prolonged campaign/sieges, etc. As such, this will encourage trade, and as such, diplomatic links.

Moderation

I will moderate the role-play, by acting as the religious heads (for example, the Pope in Europe, or the Supreme Caliph in Islamic countries). Once your nation reaches a certain size, it is possible to defy these institutions. To avoid conflicts of interest, I will not directly play as a King or peer, yet may find a way to keep it pretty fun for me too (I'm thinking of a religious order...)

The outcome of battles will be decided by a program I've created, with various alterable fields.

General Information

Every civilisation will start off with a random amount of territory (the player may choose where they want their territory). Those wishing to be Monarchs will be randomly given 18 - 24 regions to control. Dukes will be given 12 - 18, Earls will be given 6 - 12, and Barons 1 - 6. Generally speaking, the strongest roleplayers will be given the highest roles. Weaker roleplayers will be given smaller roles - yet as they improve, can receive more titles. Similarly, if an originally good roleplayer becomes weaker, he can lose titles. This will be moderated by the general community.

All civilisations will be allowed to choose bonuses. There are 2 bonuses - a military bonus, which states where the civilisation is most comfortable fighting (for example, forests), and an economic bonus, which gives that civilisation a boost in either a technological area or resource (for example, agriculture or rich iron ore seams).

You will be given a choice of relevant terrain types (based on real world geography) and relevant economic bonuses (from terrain type or historical advancements).

Note: We currently have enough Christian nations. Only Islamic nations will now be accepted.

This will eventually become an FAQ as more questions arrive

Q: How do I work out population?
A: Every region is worth at least 10,000 people. Historically populated areas (Europe, parts of the Middle East, parts of Northern Africa, parts of Russia, etc) are worth 20,000 people. Historically underpopulated areas (Very north Europe, parts of Russia, parts of Northern Africa, parts of the Middle East, etc) are worth 5,000 people.

Map

Viewable here: http://imgur.com/1aZqO

Yes, it's a map I found on a particular imageboard...

Application

Name of territory:
Name of leader:
Heraldry:
Which religion do your people follow (Christianity/Islam/Paganism):
Which role do you wish to be (King/Shah/Sultan, Duke/Mirza, Earl/Nawab, Baron/Baig):
(Note, if you have chosen 'Paganism' as your religion, you may use any title you wish, so long as you indicate its equivalent.)
Where would you like to be placed (for example, Central France/Egypt and surrounding regions/Kievan Rus'):
Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?:
Bio of your leader (paragraph):
Bio of your civilisation (2 - 3 paragraphs):

Example:
Name of territory: Examplandia
Name of leader: Lord Example Exampleson, of Examplandia

Heraldry: (Just submit a picture here - mine would be my flag, which is something along the lines of 'Azure, Crimson diagonally opposed estucheons, on a square shield, with Hawk Rampant in Centre, counterchanged')

Which religion do your people follow (Christianity/Islam/Paganism): Christianity

Which role do you wish to be (King/Shah/Sultan, Duke/Mirza, Earl/Nawab, Baron/Baig): Earl

Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?: A storefront: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89504
A failed Medieval roleplay: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=186419

Bio of your leader: Lord Example Exampleson came to power after his father - Example Exampleson 'the Example' died in a tragic hunting accident. Lord Example Exampleson is 45 years old, and is married to a senior nobles daughter, who hails from a prosperous mining town. From a young age, his sharp mind has allowed him to negotiate and persuade many powerful people many times in his life, and as such, is adverse to tramping under a banner into war. He has a younger brother, Sir Xampl Xamplson, who constantly attempts to form rebellions against his older brother. As such, he feels constantly under threat, and this has developed into an almost psychopathic paranoia.

Bio of your territory: Examplandia has historically been a prosperous civilisation, maintaining itself high in the mountains by the volumes of trade which are forced to use its mountain passes, as well as by the seams of iron ore which are harvested from those rocky nests. A connection to the sea has allowed maritime trade to flourish, as well as allowing an easy source of food, as agriculture is all but impossible to maintain on the frosty, rocky mountains.

Examplandia has little trouble with its neighbours, and has mainly kept to itself. However, since 874 there have been tensions with the Mor Xampls people, who live nearby. Examplandia accuses the Mor Xampls civilisation of killing their Duke of that time. As such, tensions have always existed there, which have recently developed into skirmishes over newly found seams of iron ore.
Last edited by Pawn and King on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Need an Assassination done? Look no further...

Solaris
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Solaris » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 pm

This sounds good - I've never roleplayed though...

Name of territory: Solaris
Name of leader: Griswulf Stronghelm
Heraldry: See flag - black wolfs head on a white circle with black background.
Which religion do your people follow (Christianity/Islam/Paganism): Paganism
Which role do you wish to be (King/Shah/Sultan, Duke/Mirza, Earl/Nawab, Baron/Baig): Maermok (Baron)
(Note, if you have chosen 'Paganism' as your religion, you may use any title you wish, so long as you indicate its equivalent.)
Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?: No.
Bio of your leader (paragraph): Griswulf Stronghelm is an old man, of 73. His wife long ago passed away, and he has no heirs. In his lifetime, he has seen and experienced much, which makes him one of the wisest men in the land. He is the last senior ranking member of his Clan - the rest either were conquered 50 years ago by their southern lying neighbors, or simply dissolved once the last great Druid died. The only thing left protecting Solaris is its location, and the Maermok is well aware of this. He is even more aware of his lack of an heir, and is hoping to find the right child or man to soon adopt into his family.

Bio of your civilisation (2 - 3 paragraphs): Solaris originally was part of a large Kingdom, overseen by Great Druids, which streched far from their home territory in the north, to lands deep in the south, where they could grow wine, and olives. These were the high times, and the people were happy, as they were the supreme force in the lands. However, firstly, the winter of 684AD was a particularly cold one, and this killed a lot of the expected agriculture - many people died in the ensuing famine. Secondly, this weakness was opportunistically seized upon by the enemies of the Old Kingdom, whom over the next 350 years, slowly pushed and fought and squeezed the Old Kingdom back to their historical northern homelands.

This wasn't the end, however - a final stand was made at Wulfshed, where the last Great Druid led an army of 15,000 against their opposition, an army of 40,000. Unfortunately, the northern army had poor tactics - their southern enemies used bows, and horses. The northern army, however, relied on heavy infantry, and axes. As such, the archers alone devastated the majority of their force. It is predicted that only 100 - 200 northerners escaped with their lives. It is predicted only 400 southerners were killed.

This was the last stand of the Old Kingdom. The last and only Maermok to have survived the Souths expansion, Griswulf waits in his northern stronghold, waiting either for his death, an heir, or a new Druid to lead them back to glory.

------------------------

Also, what about population? And do you have to randomly choose us an upgrade? It seems silly - I'm hoping to live in the far north, but what if my random upgrades are 'Deserts' and 'Agriculture' or 'Wine production' or something. It'd be silly. I think you should post the list, and let people choose - or you post what seems relevant to what people have written in their bios?
Last edited by Solaris on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boriem
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Boriem » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Definitely want to sign up.

But I can't right now.

Can I reserve being a Pagan King?

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:12 pm

Solaris wrote:
------------------------

Also, what about population? And do you have to randomly choose us an upgrade? It seems silly - I'm hoping to live in the far north, but what if my random upgrades are 'Deserts' and 'Agriculture' or 'Wine production' or something. It'd be silly. I think you should post the list, and let people choose - or you post what seems relevant to what people have written in their bios?

Accepted on the strength of your application.

Population - good point. Perhaps every area on the map should be worth 10,000 people as an average, but +10,000 if it's a historically populated area (such as South Britain, or Central France) and -5,000 if it's a historically unpopulated area (such as most of Russia, extreme north).

Random upgrades - good point. I'd thought about that, but you're right, it'll be an issue. Choose from the below, then:

Military Bonus:
-Mountains
-Tundra
-Taiga

Economic Bonus:
-Fishing (gill nets)
-Smithing (advanced forgery)
-Mining (iron ore deposits)
-Mining (coal deposits)
-Shipbuilding (faster, stronger ships)
-Mining (precious metals)

Where do you want to be on the map, as well?

Boriem wrote:Definitely want to sign up.

But I can't right now.

No problem, Boriem. As long as you fill out an application within a few days or so.

Solaris
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Solaris » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:14 pm

Pawn and King wrote:
Solaris wrote:
------------------------

Population - good point. Perhaps every area on the map should be worth 10,000 people as an average, but +10,000 if it's a historically populated area (such as South Britain, or Central France) and -5,000 if it's a historically unpopulated area (such as most of Russia, extreme north).

Random upgrades - good point. I'd thought about that, but you're right, it'll be an issue. Choose from the below, then:

Military Bonus:
-Mountains
-Tundra
-Taiga

Economic Bonus:
-Fishing (gill nets)
-Mining (coal deposits)

Boriem wrote:Definitely want to sign up.

But I can't right now.

No problem, Boriem. As long as you fill out an application within a few days or so.

I'll choose Taiga and Precious Metals. What does that mean, though?

As to the map, as far north as possible.

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Solaris wrote:
Pawn and King wrote:

Military Bonus:
-Mountains
-Tundra
-Taiga

Economic Bonus:
-Fishing (gill nets)
-Mining (coal deposits)

I'll choose Taiga and Precious Metals. What does that mean, though?

As to the map, as far north as possible.

Choosing Taiga means you will have a natural advantage on that terrain type in military matters - in your case, good for defending, and some expansion. As such, when the outcome of battles it to be predicted, you'll receive a +1 bonus on Taiga, whereas if your opponent is better on, say, forests, He'll have a 0 bonus - it makes it more likely you'll win on that terrain type.

Choosing precious metals gives you a resource to trade with. You'll be able to mine gold and silver, and trade it.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:22 pm

May I do something akin to this?
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Jormengand wrote:May I do something akin to this?

Yep - it'd be good, however, if you could make it religious based on one of the three religions (Christianity/Islam/Paganism). As such, you'll be a Baron under the Pope/Caliph which will give you 'home territory' where the Pope/Caliph resides.

If you choose Paganism, though, anything goes, pretty much. You could set yourself up as the Head Druid.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Pawn and King wrote:
Jormengand wrote:May I do something akin to this?

Yep - it'd be good, however, if you could make it religious based on one of the three religions (Christianity/Islam/Paganism). As such, you'll be a Baron under the Pope/Caliph which will give you 'home territory' where the Pope/Caliph resides.

If you choose Paganism, though, anything goes, pretty much. You could set yourself up as the Head Druid.

The Ordo Libra (Libra as in the scales) resolve to be neutral in all matters, which was why I made them atheistic. Also, I hate RPing people with a strong faith in a god/gods.

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Jormengand wrote:
Pawn and King wrote:

The Ordo Libra (Libra as in the scales) resolve to be neutral in all matters, which was why I made them atheistic. Also, I hate RPing people with a strong faith in a god/gods.

Fair enough, but you'll receive no religious protection, meaning you're fair game for anyone to destroy without any consequences. You'll also need at least one region to call your own to be 'conquered'.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:34 pm

Pawn and King wrote:
Jormengand wrote:The Ordo Libra (Libra as in the scales) resolve to be neutral in all matters, which was why I made them atheistic. Also, I hate RPing people with a strong faith in a god/gods.

Fair enough, but you'll receive no religious protection, meaning you're fair game for anyone to destroy without any consequences. You'll also need at least one region to call your own to be 'conquered'.

Oh, well they're officially Christian, and the pope doesn't give enough of a shit about 300 men to excommunicate them. I guess I can have a region, although I was thinking more of acting as mercenary forces for someone... and then betraying them when we get bored.

I'll put an app up and see what you think.

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:39 pm

Jormengand wrote:
Pawn and King wrote:

Oh, well they're officially Christian, and the pope doesn't give enough of a shit about 300 men to excommunicate them. I guess I can have a region, although I was thinking more of acting as mercenary forces for someone... and then betraying them when we get bored.

I'll put an app up and see what you think.

Please do - be aware, I'll be acting as Pope, as a moderation force. Thus, if you did anything GodModdy, I would excommunicate you/send an inquisition/smite you with all Papal forces available.

As Pagans are not protected by Pope or Caliph, they will be fair game - hopefully this will keep things on an even keel.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Name of territory: The Knights Exemplar of the Ordo Libra.
Name of leader: Lord-Captain and High exemplar Pedro Ignacio.
Heraldry: It should be continuous greyscale in both directions, but Paint can't do that.
Which religion do your people follow: Officially christianity, but not really anything.
Which role do you wish to be: Lord-Captain. I guess that might merit a territory if I must.
Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?: This is Pedro being a half-dragon. Try not to confuse the two. :p
This is just me pissing about with my writing style.
These are probably the droids you're looking for.
Bio of your leader: Pedro Ignacio was born in Spain, and - because he was from what might have tried to consider itself a noble house - worked as a squire. As it was the knight's duty to equip Pedro properly and train him, he gave him his prize possession: an expensive repeating crossbow from a master craftsman. This master craftsman also made armour, swords and shields, and it was said that he had enough for a small army hidden underground.

Meanwhile, Pedro trained. He used the crossbow and a sword - the latter with several friends - and became a worryingly good knight. However, he grew tired of the country's religious agenda, as did the craftsman. With the aid of some of Pedro's childhood friends and now loyal allies, they left the country at night, taking the equipment with them.
Bio of your civilisation: From that day onwards, Pedro and his strange company went from town to town, finding through rumour those willing to give up their notions of the Lord and take up arms with Pedro.

Eventually, all the armour and weapons were used, and the craftsman set about making more. This time, he made giant ballistae, and barding for horses. While he could not make horses, many of the knights had brought their best steeds for this movement.

Finally, the Ordo Libra were formed, resolving to be neutral in all things. Perfection through balance, balance through perfection. There are also the Libra cults, strange fanatics who worship the Ordo as gods, but often seem to have a tenuous grip on their ideals. (If you want to RP as one, go ahead.)

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Jormengand wrote:Name of territory: The Knights Exemplar of the Ordo Libra.
Name of leader: Lord-Captain and High exemplar Pedro Ignacio.
Heraldry: It should be continuous greyscale in both directions, but Paint can't do that.
Which religion do your people follow: Officially christianity, but not really anything.
Which role do you wish to be: Lord-Captain. I guess that might merit a territory if I must.
Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?: This is Pedro being a half-dragon. Try not to confuse the two. :p
This is just me pissing about with my writing style.
These are probably the droids you're looking for.
Bio of your leader: Pedro Ignacio was born in Spain, and - because he was from what might have tried to consider itself a noble house - worked as a squire. As it was the knight's duty to equip Pedro properly and train him, he gave him his prize possession: an expensive repeating crossbow from a master craftsman. This master craftsman also made armour, swords and shields, and it was said that he had enough for a small army hidden underground.

Meanwhile, Pedro trained. He used the crossbow and a sword - the latter with several friends - and became a worryingly good knight. However, he grew tired of the country's religious agenda, as did the craftsman. With the aid of some of Pedro's childhood friends and now loyal allies, they left the country at night, taking the equipment with them.
Bio of your civilisation: From that day onwards, Pedro and his strange company went from town to town, finding through rumour those willing to give up their notions of the Lord and take up arms with Pedro.

Eventually, all the armour and weapons were used, and the craftsman set about making more. This time, he made giant ballistae, and barding for horses. While he could not make horses, many of the knights had brought their best steeds for this movement.

Finally, the Ordo Libra were formed, resolving to be neutral in all things. Perfection through balance, balance through perfection. There are also the Libra cults, strange fanatics who worship the Ordo as gods, but often seem to have a tenuous grip on their ideals. (If you want to RP as one, go ahead.)

Accepted - though please say where you would like your permanent territory. Furthermore, I'll presume you've chosen your own economic/technological bonus of 'siege equipment' (giving you a bonus at constructing and conducting sieges). What terrain type would you say you're most proficient on?

-Mountains
-Plains
-Forests

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Pawn and King wrote:Accepted - though please say where you would like your permanent territory. Furthermore, I'll presume you've chosen your own economic/technological bonus of 'siege equipment' (giving you a bonus at constructing and conducting sieges). What terrain type would you say you're most proficient on?

-Mountains
-Plains
-Forests

Can I have "General" giving me 1/3 of the normal bonus on all 3? Perfection through balance and all. Otherwise I guess it'd be plains.

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Jormengand wrote:
Pawn and King wrote:Accepted - though please say where you would like your permanent territory. Furthermore, I'll presume you've chosen your own economic/technological bonus of 'siege equipment' (giving you a bonus at constructing and conducting sieges). What terrain type would you say you're most proficient on?

-Mountains
-Plains
-Forests

Can I have "General" giving me 1/3 of the normal bonus on all 3? Perfection through balance and all. Otherwise I guess it'd be plains.

Just the one, I'm afraid - otherwise things would be a bit too complicated, and I'd have to rewrite my program.

Where would you like your permanent territory?

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Pawn and King wrote:
Jormengand wrote:Can I have "General" giving me 1/3 of the normal bonus on all 3? Perfection through balance and all. Otherwise I guess it'd be plains.

Just the one, I'm afraid - otherwise things would be a bit too complicated, and I'd have to rewrite my program.

Where would you like your permanent territory?

Fine, we'll have plains.

I don't mind where the territory goes. Place it once everyone else knows where they're going, and then I can just be put down somewhere in the vague vicinity of some other people.

The Aaronian Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Aaronian Empire » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:11 pm

Name of territory: The Holy Aaronian Empire
Name of leader: Aaron Raines the Fifth
Heraldry: My Flag
Which religion do your people follow: Catholicism
Which role do you wish to be: King
Where would you like to be placed (for example, Central France/Egypt and surrounding regions/Kievan Rus'): South East France/ North East Italy Area
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82406
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=211294
(I've been in a lot more but my best ones were back in the old forums)

King Aaron Raines the V is the son of King Aaron Raines the IV. He took the crown at a young age, only 15 at the time while stile undergoing training in the ways of battle. He led his first military attack at the age of 16 and was badly defeated. This was largely due to his inexperience at command and the larger size of the opposing force. He had much to live up to as his father was considered one of the greatest leaders of all time. He had defeated a better armed force twisce the size of his own on won occasion.

Aaron V has since become much more acquainted with battle as well as an appreciation for music and theater. It is believed that he has written several plays but that they were then produced by another playwright. He has been king for 15 years now and his people consider him fair and just and he is quick to seek diplomatic negotiations over battle but will fight if necessary.

The Empire began when a Duke in southern France had angered his holiness the pope and turned to paganism and heresy. It is believed that he went mad and began to force priests to tell heretical versions the faith and punishing those wwho went against him severely. At the behest of the pope. Sir Aaron Raines was given command of army to go against the mad duke and depose him. He was very successful in his endeavours as the armies of the Duke had lost their loyalty to the duke and instead pledged themselves to Aaron Raines.

Using these armies he deposed the duke and was himself placed as the new duke of the land. He then decided that being a duke was not enough and petitioned the Pope to allow him to gain more lands in the surrounding area due to his loyalty and conviction. He then used his new armies to gain lands to the east of him and take enough that the Pope declared him king of these new lands as he had God's blessing to rule.

The next three generations of kings followed in similar order, they were often used as an army of the Papacy to police those that had fallen from the Pope's favor. This allowed them to slowly grow over time and establish the nation as The Holy Aaronian Empire. The current King, Aaron looks to be following in the footsteps of his forefathers with undying loyalty to his faith
The Aaronian Empire wrote:
St George of England wrote:Following a recent "threat" from the Aaronian Empire to rearrange all the furniture in the capital of Nottingham, His Imperial Majesty has extended an offer to the Aaronian government to send a team of interior designers to help decorate the under construction Palace of Angels.

Has accepted St George of England's offer and will be sending a battallion of interior decorating commandos Lead by Lieutenant Westfield

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:22 pm

The Aaronian Empire wrote:Name of territory: The Holy Aaronian Empire
Name of leader: Aaron Raines the Fifth
Heraldry: My Flag
Which religion do your people follow: Catholicism
Which role do you wish to be: King
Where would you like to be placed (for example, Central France/Egypt and surrounding regions/Kievan Rus'): South East France/ North East Italy Area
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82406
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=211294
(I've been in a lot more but my best ones were back in the old forums)

King Aaron Raines the V is the son of King Aaron Raines the IV. He took the crown at a young age, only 15 at the time while stile undergoing training in the ways of battle. He led his first military attack at the age of 16 and was badly defeated. This was largely due to his inexperience at command and the larger size of the opposing force. He had much to live up to as his father was considered one of the greatest leaders of all time. He had defeated a better armed force twisce the size of his own on won occasion.

Aaron V has since become much more acquainted with battle as well as an appreciation for music and theater. It is believed that he has written several plays but that they were then produced by another playwright. He has been king for 15 years now and his people consider him fair and just and he is quick to seek diplomatic negotiations over battle but will fight if necessary.

The Empire began when a Duke in southern France had angered his holiness the pope and turned to paganism and heresy. It is believed that he went mad and began to force priests to tell heretical versions the faith and punishing those wwho went against him severely. At the behest of the pope. Sir Aaron Raines was given command of army to go against the mad duke and depose him. He was very successful in his endeavours as the armies of the Duke had lost their loyalty to the duke and instead pledged themselves to Aaron Raines.

Using these armies he deposed the duke and was himself placed as the new duke of the land. He then decided that being a duke was not enough and petitioned the Pope to allow him to gain more lands in the surrounding area due to his loyalty and conviction. He then used his new armies to gain lands to the east of him and take enough that the Pope declared him king of these new lands as he had God's blessing to rule.

The next three generations of kings followed in similar order, they were often used as an army of the Papacy to police those that had fallen from the Pope's favor. This allowed them to slowly grow over time and establish the nation as The Holy Aaronian Empire. The current King, Aaron looks to be following in the footsteps of his forefathers with undying loyalty to his faith

Accepted, although your heraldry isn't particularly traditional - no matter, it's nothing important.

So, military bonus:
-Naval
-Mountains
-Plains

Technological/Economic bonus:
-Swiss pikemen (the most heavily armoured and powerful pikemen around)
-Heavy cavalry (The most heavily armoured and powerful cavalry around)
-Trading bonus (Historically, the Med has always been a trading centre - more money/resources available)
-Fishing (gill nets)
-Lumber (Plentiful forests)
-Mining (iron ore)

Please choose one of each.

The Aaronian Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Aaronian Empire » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:28 pm

Military bonus: Plains

Technological bonus: Heavy Cavalry
St George of England wrote:Following a recent "threat" from the Aaronian Empire to rearrange all the furniture in the capital of Nottingham, His Imperial Majesty has extended an offer to the Aaronian government to send a team of interior designers to help decorate the under construction Palace of Angels.

Has accepted St George of England's offer and will be sending a battallion of interior decorating commandos Lead by Lieutenant Westfield

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:34 pm

I've also updated the map - please make a note of your population size so far.

Aaronian - 400,000
The Holy See - 100,000
The Supreme Caliph - 100,000
Solaris - 20,000
Jormengand - TBC (probably 10,000)

From this, try to work out a realistic standing army size (probably about 3 - 8% of your population).

This isn't so much to 'micro-manage' everything, but mainly so that players realise that their professional army is a limited resource - it would be a waste to commit 10,000 soldiers to a battle unless you were nigh on certain you would win.

The Aaronian Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Aaronian Empire » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:43 pm

I was thinking about 40000 troops. That's 10% which makes sense as one of the main goals of the kingdom is to as an enforcer for the pope and the military was key in their founding. If you want, I can lower it to 8% and 32000

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Name of territory: The Knights of the Grand Cross
Name of leader: Fisnik Endrit
Heraldry: Flag
Which religion do your people follow (Christianity/Islam/Paganism): Christianity
Which role do you wish to be (King/Shah/Sultan, Duke/Mirza, Earl/Nawab, Baron/Baig): Earl
Where would you like to be placed (for example, Central France/Egypt and surrounding regions/Kievan Rus'): Switzerland
Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?: N/A
Bio of your leader (paragraph): Fisnik Endrit is the current leader of the Knights of the Grand Cross. From a young age, it was likely he would become an exceptional leader of the Knights, and after the glorious death of the previous leader in a far away land, he was voted as leader by the Knights Council. Wise, a powerful tactician, and fully committed to the church, he is the sword-bearing right arm of the Papacy. Currently 42, and with a wife, he has already outlived most of his Islamic enemies. Destined to die in battle, he is fatalistic, fundamentalist and ready to sacrifice his life to his God and Church.
Bio of your civilisation (2 - 3 paragraphs): The Knights of the Grand Cross were established in 452AD in order to rescue Jerusalem and Acre from Islamic hands. They have served with a long and distinguished past, battling with other Christian Kings and Lords to rescue these far away gems. Although other religious orders exist, the Knights of the Grand Cross are completely dedicated to the Papacy, and considered the Popes favourite military Order. There is contention that the Knights are perhaps too powerful, but the present Pope trusts in their abilities.

In the present day, there has been a lull in the fights to rescue Jerusalem and Acre, and as such, the Knights dedicate themselves to maintaining the lands are free of heresy, killing pagans on sight. They have also been given power to investigate civilisations considered to be acting in a non-Christian manner, and as such, many other Christian Empires are terrified of the day that the black robed fanatical bureaucrats enter their halls to study their religious manners. The Knights provide the Papal guard, as well as maintain a large amount of the Papal coffers.

BONUSES: +1 Mountains, +1 Banking

'The Knights have a bizzare way of turning 100 coins into 110 coins over a year...'

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:52 pm

The Aaronian Empire wrote:I was thinking about 40000 troops. That's 10% which makes sense as one of the main goals of the kingdom is to as an enforcer for the pope and the military was key in their founding. If you want, I can lower it to 8% and 32000

Yeah - 10% is just about the upper limit, as in, your civilisation would literally be nothing but focused around warfare and military-industrial complex.

The Aaronian Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Aaronian Empire » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Pawn and King wrote:
The Aaronian Empire wrote:I was thinking about 40000 troops. That's 10% which makes sense as one of the main goals of the kingdom is to as an enforcer for the pope and the military was key in their founding. If you want, I can lower it to 8% and 32000

Yeah - 10% is just about the upper limit, as in, your civilisation would literally be nothing but focused around warfare and military-industrial complex.

Ok I'll lower it to 30000. I want some economic and diplomatic focus as well

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents