NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:32 pm

The 44th Indp Legion wrote:actually, a singularity only has very limited non-newtonian effects outside the swartzschild radius, so a tiny singularity would only have very localised effects, as it's a product of density, rather than pure mass, especially if you add technobabble. A 1kg black hole would have neglible effects on anything further than say, 10 to 100 metres away. (can't be bothered with the exact maths right now, but it's a good estimate)
It would've negligible gravitational effects on anything essentially regardless of distance.

A kilogram is a kilogram.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

The 44th Indp Legion
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The 44th Indp Legion » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
The 44th Indp Legion wrote:actually, a singularity only has very limited non-newtonian effects outside the swartzschild radius, so a tiny singularity would only have very localised effects, as it's a product of density, rather than pure mass, especially if you add technobabble. A 1kg black hole would have neglible effects on anything further than say, 10 to 100 metres away. (can't be bothered with the exact maths right now, but it's a good estimate)
It would've negligible gravitational effects on anything essentially regardless of distance.

Please note how I said 'effects' and not 'gravitational effects'. that being said, you are correct - though things might/will get weird once you start involving the event horizon (or should I call that the firewall these days?) in things.
Last edited by The 44th Indp Legion on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOC, this nation is an autonomous exclave, but will ICly (rather firmly) assert that they are representing the whole of the 44th on diplomatic occasions. Please take their IC aspirations of grandeur and power with several grams of salt.
Post makes no damn sense.
You make a hurtful haiku.
Refrigerator.

Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:27 pm

The 44th Indp Legion wrote:
Arthropoda Ingens wrote:It would've negligible gravitational effects on anything essentially regardless of distance.

Please note how I said 'effects' and not 'gravitational effects'. that being said, you are correct - though things might/will get weird once you start involving the event horizon (or should I call that the firewall these days?) in things.

I may have forgotten to mention that the "grenade" is the size of a small asteroid. :lol:

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
Vocenae wrote:Pretty sure most of this tech discussion stuff should go into the Arguement thread.

This is the argument thread.

Just waking up bleary eyed and having this thread and the Advice thread open at the same time tends to increase the odds of making a mistake between the two.

But yes, we need to push the tech brainfart ideas that have plagued the Advice thread for the last several hundred pages into here, since there's far too much 'no this is how it works no that's wrong this is how it should work no u' going on.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Vocenae wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:
This is the argument thread.

Just waking up bleary eyed and having this thread and the Advice thread open at the same time tends to increase the odds of making a mistake between the two.

But yes, we need to push the tech brainfart ideas that have plagued the Advice thread for the last several hundred pages into here, since there's far too much 'no this is how it works no that's wrong this is how it should work no u' going on.

Agreed.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:33 pm

It's inevitable there will be arguments in the advice thread, since it's inevitable different people will give different advice.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006

Postby Vocenae » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Before you and Biop came along, there were no arguements in the advice threads.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:31 pm

Vocenae wrote:Before you and Biop came along, there were no arguements in the advice threads.

A fact I take great joy in accomplishing.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Mini Miehm
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Mini Miehm » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:38 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Vocenae wrote:Before you and Biop came along, there were no arguements in the advice threads.

That's something you should take gratuitous amounts of shame in. Not pride.
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Don't reward the trolls.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Mini Miehm wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

I must concur with Miehm on this. The advice thread is for advice to players. If arguments are to be had they should stay here.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Mini Miehm wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

I take honor's where i can get em.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Thrashia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2004

Postby Thrashia » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:29 am

*salutes from the After-Life, having successfully jumped and covered the entire grenade*

:lol:

See what I did there?
FT Factbook | Thrashian Maintenance Thread | Newbies Need to Read This | Thrashia IIwiki

"D-Damn you all...! All of you dogs whose souls are still bound to the Earth! Long live Neo Zeon!" - MSG: Unicorn

Balrogga
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:43 am

That is why I created the Advice Thread, to allow players to get real advice instead of being confused by arguments.
The Fallen Empire of Balrogga

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:04 am

Balrogga wrote:That is why I created the Advice Thread, to allow players to get real advice instead of being confused by arguments.

The problem is that there is often no such thing as universally good advice, particularly when it comes to things as contentious and ungrounded in readily-verifiable fact as future technology. As the whole fighter shebang showed, there are plenty of people with different views who will give different advice. Arguments also seem to spring up whenever people even mention antimatter as fuel, with many declaring they wouldn't touch it with a 99 1/2 foot pole, and others considering it fine to use.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Christ alive, I'm so damn lucky I joined a good forum before the bad ones. I'm trying to have an argument over BSG versus Halo and I've already been called a 'wanka'. Spacebattles sucks! Or, it isn't fun.

Anyway, naked singularities as weapons - Y/N?
Last edited by Strykla on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

SquareDisc City
Senator

Postby SquareDisc City » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:34 pm

I posted on the topic not long ago in the other thread.

SquareDisc City wrote:The behaviour of a singularity is by definition unpredictable. Singularities are unlikely to actually exist and if a theory predicts their formation in a given situation then that probably means the theory is no good for that situation.

Now "unlikely to actually exist" doesn't always bother sci-fi writers much. Personally if I were to use a "naked singularity" weapon I'd be minded to play it for laughs, have it be as likely to fill the target ship with bananas as it is to blow it up for example. If you want it to have definite behaviour you'll probably just have to make something up.

Strykla
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:37 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:I posted on the topic not long ago in the other thread.

SquareDisc City wrote:The behaviour of a singularity is by definition unpredictable. Singularities are unlikely to actually exist and if a theory predicts their formation in a given situation then that probably means the theory is no good for that situation.

Now "unlikely to actually exist" doesn't always bother sci-fi writers much. Personally if I were to use a "naked singularity" weapon I'd be minded to play it for laughs, have it be as likely to fill the target ship with bananas as it is to blow it up for example. If you want it to have definite behaviour you'll probably just have to make something up.

I'd like a good laugh now. Maybe I'll reverse someone's polarity!

As for actually using them as weapons, wouldn't tidal forces pose the greatest danger to targeted ships?
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

SquareDisc City
Senator

Postby SquareDisc City » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Well a naked singularity would not necessarilly be associated with a black hole, although sufficiently highly charged and/or rapidly spinning black holes are theorised to create naked singularities. As such, a naked singularity doesn't have to come with any defined gravitational or tidal forces, though it might.

Strykla
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:46 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:Well a naked singularity would not necessarilly be associated with a black hole, although sufficiently highly charged and/or rapidly spinning black holes are theorised to create naked singularities. As such, a naked singularity doesn't have to come with any defined gravitational or tidal forces, though it might.

Oh, yeah. Huh. Singularities really are like a magician's hat, right?

Korvos
Envoy

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Korvos » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:29 am

So, I have a question for you guys. I'm not using powered armor, and I was wondering what other things I could use to essentially even the battlefield. Currently my troops have advanced combat stimulants (not of the "hulking out" kind, more of a zen concentration kind) and a secondary firing mode for their laser rifles that projects a beam instead of pulses.
Thoughts?

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:43 am

IFVs.

Antimatter bullets.

Balls of iron.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

SquareDisc City
Senator

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:49 am

Genetic or cybernetic engineering to enhance your troop's physical abilities.
Recoil compensation on small arms, so they can pack the punch that otherwise would need power armour to support the weapon. (Lasers do recoil, though by much less than traditional firearms with the same muzzle energy so it only becomes important once you start firing shots with nuclear bomb level yields.)
More use of vehicles and air support. An infantryman's going to be vulnerable to airstrikes whether or not they're wearing "power armour".

Sertian
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Sertian » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:56 am

Smaller kinetic weapons (or at least, less powerful ones than those equipped to power armor soldiers), or the use of energy weapons should allow you to have at least somewhat equivalent, or at least, roughly in the same area of fire power as power armor equipped infantry. You'll face the problem of being (slightly) slower, having less stamina and carrying capacity, but your troops will be much cheaper to equip. You could then take advantage of that and have a large(r) army, or invest that capital in armor and aviation support (less powerful troops, more numerous tanks).

Although this question seems like something more appropriate for the advice thread. :P
The Sertian Empire Factbook
Flag generously made by Rommel, A.K.A. North Mack

Korvos
Envoy

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Korvos » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 am

More armored and air support does sound good. What about special weapons, though? I was thinking of creating a less cheesy version of meltavets, but other special man-portable weapons should exist.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:24 am

Korvos wrote:More armored and air support does sound good. What about special weapons, though? I was thinking of creating a less cheesy version of meltavets, but other special man-portable weapons should exist.

I suspect missile-type weapons will be a favorite. The practical maximum velocity of a conventional bullet is going to be limited by the maximum recoil the soldier can withstand, which is going to be lower than that of a power-armored soldier. Hence, self-propelled, ideally guided, weapons would be able to make up that gap. They'd be bulkier and more expensive than just using a bigger, power-armor grade standard rifle, and would be a bit overkill against other unarmored soldiers, but would be more useful.

IMO, a pulse from a laser would probably be more effective than a beam, assuming it hits. A pulse can put out a greater amount of energy concentrated into a split second impact than a longer-duration beam. It's also more likely to put that energy in a single spot, rather than a more spread out area if the target is moving, further increasing the likelihood of meaningful damage being dealt.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents