NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:56 am

Fighter debacle? It's not a debacle if point defense/missiles can't hit them. In theory.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Escalan Corps-Star Island wrote:Fighter debacle? It's not a debacle if point defense/missiles can't hit them. In theory.

Make them intangible until they're inside of the range where the PDWS of the target can not target them without damaging the target? That sounds wanky.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Sertian wrote:Pretty much the only 'realistic' stealth system in space is one that masks a ship's heat and emissions for as long as possible (in example: The Normandy SR-1 and SR-2 from Mass Effect). This system doesn't work while your engines are firing though, so unless you have a 'cold' means of acceleration (such as the Normandy's Mass Effect/Gravity field drive) you can't accelerate while being cold, but it would pretty much prevent anyone from pinging you across the system.

Throw in some standard radar stealth systems and what not, and you have a pretty much stealthy ship. Its not going to be like Star Trek's cloaking technology (that's strictly soft science fiction and has no barring in a topic assuming somewhat normal rules of physics), but you could, say, lurk a few AU away from your enemy's position and observe them with passive sensors to gather intelligence. Mind you, the longer you lurk, the more the enemy might detect you via observable light telescopic mapping or whatever, but the heat you'll eventually have to vent will probably make a bigger impact on how long you can sit and watch than that.

The problem is that unless you have an even wankier method to selectively prevent the emission of gravity by the drive, it'll be just as obvious as the antimatter thrusters. If the gravity well generated is strong enough to pull the ship along at any meaningful speed, it'll be detectable by the enemy, and even less likely to be written off as a bug or natural occurrence, since random gravity wells to the best of our knowledge don't magically appear in rapid succession along a flight path.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:19 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Sertian wrote:Pretty much the only 'realistic' stealth system in space is one that masks a ship's heat and emissions for as long as possible (in example: The Normandy SR-1 and SR-2 from Mass Effect). This system doesn't work while your engines are firing though, so unless you have a 'cold' means of acceleration (such as the Normandy's Mass Effect/Gravity field drive) you can't accelerate while being cold, but it would pretty much prevent anyone from pinging you across the system.

Throw in some standard radar stealth systems and what not, and you have a pretty much stealthy ship. Its not going to be like Star Trek's cloaking technology (that's strictly soft science fiction and has no barring in a topic assuming somewhat normal rules of physics), but you could, say, lurk a few AU away from your enemy's position and observe them with passive sensors to gather intelligence. Mind you, the longer you lurk, the more the enemy might detect you via observable light telescopic mapping or whatever, but the heat you'll eventually have to vent will probably make a bigger impact on how long you can sit and watch than that.

The problem is that unless you have an even wankier method to selectively prevent the emission of gravity by the drive, it'll be just as obvious as the antimatter thrusters. If the gravity well generated is strong enough to pull the ship along at any meaningful speed, it'll be detectable by the enemy, and even less likely to be written off as a bug or natural occurrence, since random gravity wells to the best of our knowledge don't magically appear in rapid succession along a flight path.

Assuming you have a way to detect gravity.

Currently there is no way other than to measure its influence on other things.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Sertian
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Sertian » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Feazanthia wrote:Assuming you have a way to detect gravity.

Feaz hit the nail on the head, there. Not to mention that you can generate a smaller, more localized gravity field (conceivably) if you could manipulate gravity.
The Sertian Empire Factbook
Flag generously made by Rommel, A.K.A. North Mack

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Just claim the gravitational potential created doesn't follow the normal inverse square law and instead has zero effect beyond a certain range, therefore it can't be directly detected by a more distant observer. Of course some indirect methods would remain possible, most obviously the deflection of starlight that passes through the field.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Feazanthia wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

Assuming you have a way to detect gravity.

Assuming you have the technology to manipulate it in the first place, detecting it would be the easy part.

Sertian wrote:
Feazanthia wrote:Assuming you have a way to detect gravity.

Feaz hit the nail on the head, there. Not to mention that you can generate a smaller, more localized gravity field (conceivably) if you could manipulate gravity.

Gravity unfortunately doesn't work that way unless you're doing to do what a lot of pop sci-fi does and throw out the actual meaning of the term, replacing it with whatever effect you want to happen.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004

Postby Feazanthia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:22 pm

I was not discounting the probability of the technology's existence. I was merely pointing out the fact that, just as we have no idea how to generate gravity beyond "let's add mass", we have no idea how to detect energy. The amount of handwaving needed to detect gravity is proportional to the amount of handwaving needed to generate artificial gravity.

Also the stealth system in the Normandy SR-2 does nothing to defend against "active" detection or even passive detection in wavelengths beyond infrared. For instance, if the SR-2 were moving at anything approaching even low relativistic speed (which it appears to do, and would seem to be within the realm of Mass Effect technology), it would intercept the local star's solar wind. The resulting collision would throw off spikes of high-frequency radiation. A reasonably sensitive FT-grade system detection grid would read these spikes and direct active LIDAR and other forms of active detection in the ship's direction. In which case, the stealth drive on the SR-2 becomes less of a magical invisibility field and more of a "I'll reduce my cross section, making it harder for you to get a weapons lock on me" stealth system more similar to real life equipment. It then becomes a proverbial arms race between the ability of the system to reduce its cross-section and the "intelligence" of the munition en-route to kill said system.

But bringing us back to the topic of fighters, making them "stealth" still doesn't solve the problem of them being an almost criminal waste of resources for lower returns.
Last edited by Feazanthia on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:33 am

What defines Fighters? I have 2-3 man stealth ships made for harrasment and they have a FTL drive
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:56 am

A pertinent question, and I don't think there's much common definition. They're usually small, low tens of metres being typical. Often they're manned but sometimes not, and if they are manned then they may or may not also be unmanned equivalents called something different like 'drones'. Sometimes they always have FTL drives, sometimes they never do, sometimes there's a mix. Typically they're carried by larger ships, and quite often almost every larger ship has a fighter complement, but you might see them only on dedicated carriers or operating entirely independently.

Perhaps the biggest point of variation though is whether or not they're supposed to be a threat to big ships, or only to engage other stuff about their own size. The former is perfectly reasonable in a setting where weapons are sufficiently ahead of armour and shields. In my case it's the latter by definition; craft that are about fighter-sized but meant to threaten larger enemy ships are called bombers not fighters.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:25 am

Well it carries 4 bomb bays with ether 2 50Meg nukes or 40,000 LBS of bomb's apiece. and a few 100meg Nuclear mines..
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:07 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:Well it carries 4 bomb bays with ether 2 50Meg nukes or 40,000 LBS of bomb's apiece. and a few 100meg Nuclear mines..

Are these the things where you just took a modern stealth bomber and somehow made it spaceworthy? Because yes; those would count as fighters.
Last edited by Ularn on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:56 am

Ularn wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:Well it carries 4 bomb bays with ether 2 50Meg nukes or 40,000 LBS of bomb's apiece. and a few 100meg Nuclear mines..

Are these the things where you just took a modern stealth bomber and somehow made it spaceworthy? Because yes; those would count as fighters.

Quadrupled the size. And does not take a Fighter Role. Unless it can be helped anyway. More like a Micro Corvette.
Last edited by Yes Im Biop on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:09 pm

In actuality I was more considering using fighters for a mobile, changing point defense screen around my own capital ships for defense. . .

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Escalan Corps-Star Island wrote:In actuality I was more considering using fighters for a mobile, changing point defense screen around my own capital ships for defense. . .

That's actually a decent idea if you really want to have fighters.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 pm

On the subject of PDS, I amusingly just realized that I put four times as many short-range missile emplacements as intended while linearting my space battleship. Rather than the spec'ed 2,000 launchers in twenty 10 x 10 VLS racks, I ended up with 8,000 in twenty 20 x 20 VLS racks, and they still take up less space than expected.

Which partly offsets the fact that a few other components are way larger than I had expected once properly sketched to scale.
Last edited by The Akasha Colony on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
Escalan Corps-Star Island wrote:In actuality I was more considering using fighters for a mobile, changing point defense screen around my own capital ships for defense. . .

Why thank you. G-Tech and I were just talking on #FT-B about tech and stuffs for an hour.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Escalan Corps-Star Island wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

Why thank you. G-Tech and I were just talking on #FT-B about tech and stuffs for an hour.

ummmm......I don't really think you were, and if you were, WHY AREN'T YOU ON #FT-Bravo, the new channel. (for like a month or two now)
When we lose one we love, our bitterest tears are called forth by the memory of hours when we loved not enough. - Maurice Maeterlinck

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. - Washington Irving

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get. - Confucius

Trailers
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Trailers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:05 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:Quadrupled the size. And does not take a Fighter Role. Unless it can be helped anyway. More like a Micro Corvette.

The things you say make me giggle.
Lay coins upon our brows, sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
Drape our bloodied banner upon the funeral pyre
And tell our sons we died Hellenic soldiers, with our faces to the fire

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:27 am

Trailers wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:Quadrupled the size. And does not take a Fighter Role. Unless it can be helped anyway. More like a Micro Corvette.

Olala. Can't. CANT be helped. That sounds better.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:15 pm

Durmatagno wrote:

ummmm......I don't really think you were, and if you were, WHY AREN'T YOU ON #FT-Bravo, the new channel. (for like a month or two now)

I knew that, but I was intentionally having a private conversation. :)

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Trailers wrote:

I don't think it was your grammar that he was taking issue with. I couldn't be bothered pursuing the topic but now I might as well ask, what is the point in making a spaceship shaped like a giant stealth bomber? For what reason would such a design ever make sense?
Last edited by Ularn on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Ularn wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

I don't think it was your grammar that he was taking issue with. I couldn't be bothered pursuing the topic but now I might as well ask, what is the point in making a spaceship shaped like a giant stealth bomber? For what reason would such a design ever make sense?

Looking awesome.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Ularn wrote:I don't think it was your grammar that he was taking issue with. I couldn't be bothered pursuing the topic but now I might as well ask, what is the point in making a spaceship shaped like a giant stealth bomber? For what reason would such a design ever make sense?

Looking awesome.

If you have to try to look awesome then you've already failed.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Ularn wrote:
Escalan Corps-Star Island wrote:Looking awesome.

If you have to try to look awesome then you've already failed.

Good point. Just be awesome.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents