NATION

PASSWORD

Weak Nations?

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aenglaland
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aenglaland » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:45 pm

The Great Terran Empire wrote:I'm looking for a weak nation to take over. Anyone know any?

Seriously? I mean, come on, you need to understand how this works :) enjoy the game and (by the way) welcome to Nationstates ;)
Aye, 'tis Loh
"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems"

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:48 pm

The Great Terran Empire wrote:So how do you research techs, raise militaries, take over actual land that exists, etc?

Why now that's simple.

1. First, you can join regions around here like Xanadou, Nova, Judea, Gholgoth, Xanadou, Varathron, Minyang, Xanadou and so forth. Each have many fine roleplayers within them who'll gladly help you get your nation on the surefire way to researching technology and creating a fine military.

2. You can research whatever tech you want. You don't even need to be a modern tech (tech as of now IRL) nation. You can be long lost Victorian British people with Lee Enfields and singing Rule Britannia as if it was 1867 or you could be futuristic soldiers with robot auxiliaries. You could even be primitive bushmen. The beauty of this game is that it is freeform, and anything goes. As long as it's PG-13.

3. Population, military funding, etc. is determined by your actions in the gameplay section of NS, issues and such.

4. In the end: It's all done via creative roleplaying, some people have resource engines, others have maps, most are just free form. The stickies and other helpful guides are stuffed full of wisdom that'll prove helpful in your quest to make a fine nation.

Ahtreil wrote:
The Great Terran Empire wrote:So how do you research techs, raise militaries, take over actual land that exists, etc?

Well, you need to decide how your nation is. Should it be a democratic republic, or a military dictatorship?

Basically, create your country from the ground. History, form of government, stuff like that.

(I had to struggle with that stuff for a long time before i decided that my nation should be a benevolent dictatorship and such..)

Alexlantis wrote:

That's pretty much all in roleplaying, except for a few choice issues that might address that. A little thing called imagination.

(Anywho, let's stop cluttering this thread and go to telegrams for helping our new RPer here.)

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Salzland
Ambassador

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salzland » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:49 pm

OOC: Welcome to NationStates, I hope that you enjoy your stay. Please take the time to read the stickies, which have already been linked by Ganos Lao.

That being said, there seems to be a misconception that nation size is equal to nation strength. In fact, that concept is not true here, at least to a certain extent. The player behind a nation can just as easily overcome unfavorable odds as blow an almost-guaranteed victory. NationStates warfare, just like real life warfare, comes down to training, preparation, and at least a little luck.

So if you're here to conquer and pillage, then selecting the right target will be key. Do you go for the small, industrialized democracy, knowing that if you inflict enough casualties their citizens will push their government to surrender? Do you go for a slightly larger authoritarian state, knowing that if you kill or capture the ruler, the rest of the people will likely fall in line? The choice is yours.

That being said, it's generally advisible to stick to fighting nations at or around your size, at least when on the offensive. It's easier to defend against a larger attacker, but until you get quite a bit bigger (at least a population of several hundred million or a billion), you'll have trouble throwing your weight around on the world stage without having to worry about the strong possibility of a much larger nation looking to either conquer yours, or impose a "regime change."
The Armed Republic of Salzland (Citizen: Salzlander)
    Proud ODECON Member
    Dagora Doctrine Signatory
    CASTLE Accords Signatory
    Polaris Initiative Member
    Akiwealth Member

Embassies: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1134

Flag Courtesy Of Fictions
Risk Management Incorporated: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55886

And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, ODECON was born—to fight the foes no single nation could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then—for now, ODEVENGERS Assemble!

Retired Roleplaying Mentor

Homelands our
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Homelands our » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:50 pm

You can't do that here.
Join us in NSSport
Ranked 99 in football (soccer)
created the quall cup
3rd in quall cup 2 and quall cup 3
Follow the HOSL on the IDSN thread

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:51 pm

You don't...well, not exactly.

Most of the interaction between nations on NationStates takes place by roleplay. In other words, players write stories about their nation and its interactions with others. There's a lot of rules and gentlemen's codes surrounding how that's done, most of which is outlined in the stickies - threads at the top of each board which explain the basics and give useful guidelines to new players. I'd suggest having a read through them before you get started. It's also worth getting in touch with a Roleplay Mentor (one of the guys with a light-green name, like Milograd or Salzland) who are there to help introduce new nations with introductory RPs to help get you started.

Hope that all helps - welcome to NS!
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Lolzieristan
Minister

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lolzieristan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:51 pm

I'd be more than willing to engage in an RP with new people. Just contact me, eh?
Sometimes I'm reading through military threads here, and I stop and think "What the hell is wrong with all of us?" But then I get on Facebook, and realize I'd rather be insane than an idiot.
04/17/13: Got my wish, it seems, in terms of major depressive disorder. I'm sorry to everyone for any inactivity, it's...well, hard.

Soviet Canuckistan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Canuckistan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:52 pm

Lolzieristan wrote:I'd be more than willing to engage in an RP with new people. Just contact me, eh?

I know his first RP:An invasion of his country!!!
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Kaukolastan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaukolastan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:53 pm

It's a combination of Gameplay (choosing issues to increase your stats) and Roleplay (writing on the boards, building alliances and friends).

Now, this is just my experience, but I've found that "Play NS like a sport", that is, competitive, out to out-play the others and establish dominance, is utterly unproductive in the long haul. Because anyone can simply "walk away" from any engagement they don't like, a player who aims to dominate will quickly find themselves ignored and treated like a third world derp-heap. A better strategy, from what I've seen, is to "Play NS like a cooperative writing roleplaying game", building groups of friends to play out cooperative/competitive scenarios for shits, giggles, and cool-factor. Yes, you can still power game, but being as this game revolves around convincing people to agree to let you win, power gaming on NS consists of:
  • Writing competently enough to make people think you know what you're talking about, both in terms of technical data and writing style.
  • Building up groups of Out-of-Character friends, so that when you do something bastardly In-Character, you're still respected Out-of-Character. Also, you get invited to more RPs.
  • Playing cool with other people. The more you play with others, the more you get invited. The more RPs you're in (and most people don't want to play with "I take over you"), the more you'll be treated like a world power. Eventually, once everyone knows who you are, you might be able to get away with carving up empires. Of course, you'll have to convince others that the story will be worth it...

So yeah. It's a different kind of game. You want to "win" nationstates? Play your issues right to build up your Stats. Most people eyeball Size of Population (determined by age) and Size of Economy (Issues), plus maybe Defense Spending and Percentile Badges (Issues). But more importantly, jump in an play some RPs in II or NS (read the stickies), take some hits, pull some jobs for older nations that look fun to play with, and then pull out your world domination card in a year or so. By then, you'll have learned the game through playing.

Of course, if RP is NOT your thing, head to the Gameplay section, for Invading/Defending Regions. It's a WHOLE 'nother game, and one I'm ill prepared to get you into, sadly. Others will help if you ask, however.

Oh, and welcome to Nationstates! It's good people!
The Kessler Initiative [Intergovernmental Organization; Open for Participation]
N. Enartio, Justifying his Nuclear Powered, "EMP Laser" Shooting, Nazi Flying Saucer wrote:It isn't bad, i used science.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:55 pm

Kaukolastan wrote:Of course, if RP is NOT your thing, head to the Gameplay section, for Invading/Defending Regions. It's a WHOLE 'nother game, and one I'm ill prepared to get you into, sadly. Others will help if you ask, however.

You could also check out NSG. :shock:

That's where people debate about abortion, religion, abortion, religion, FST's insecurities (NSG usually has one poster who always seems to become the butt of jokes), and so on.

Generally, if you're more into debate then roleplay, it's where you go. Just beware the lack of variety in subject matter.
Last edited by Ganos Lao on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Kaukolastan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaukolastan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Kaukolastan wrote:Of course, if RP is NOT your thing, head to the Gameplay section, for Invading/Defending Regions. It's a WHOLE 'nother game, and one I'm ill prepared to get you into, sadly. Others will help if you ask, however.

Oh God, why? That place is full of minefields and angry attack dogs, not to mention the barbed wire and marauding snipers.
The Kessler Initiative [Intergovernmental Organization; Open for Participation]
N. Enartio, Justifying his Nuclear Powered, "EMP Laser" Shooting, Nazi Flying Saucer wrote:It isn't bad, i used science.

Zersium
Minister

Founded: Jul 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zersium » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:

Well there is a fee of your soul. We all have to pay up to become one of those NSG types.

Anyways, you could join a military alliance.

Always best to surround yourself with allies who'll fight with you, that way if you do invade someone, it takes the pressure off your forces.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Kaukolastan wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:

Oh God, why? That place is full of minefields and angry attack dogs, not to mention the barbed wire and marauding snipers.

It's worth going through all that just to get to Forum 7 and Arts and Fiction. :lol:

Like finding a cupcake amidst a whole lot of poison ivy.

Zersium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zersium » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Kaukolastan wrote:Oh God, why? That place is full of minefields and angry attack dogs, not to mention the barbed wire and marauding snipers.

It's worth going through all that just to get to Forum 7 and Arts and Fiction. :lol:

Long as you don't run into the wacko Brony threads.

Some are good, but there's lot that makes you want to commit Seppuku.

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:59 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:

I'm horrified to see a fellow RPer advise anyone to post in NS General. What are you, a sadist? D:<
Retired

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:00 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Kaukolastan wrote:Oh God, why? That place is full of minefields and angry attack dogs, not to mention the barbed wire and marauding snipers.

But a cupcake in poison ivy's just going to be a poison cupcake!
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Waraqistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Waraqistan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Hey for all of you invaders or warlords or any military group that wants to rule come to our region Warlord central and help us with these things. WE want it as much as you do so why not.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Take me for example, I started where you were, wen't through a few cannon wars, and gained the territories listed in my sig along with 10% of the population of each, 10% of their economic stuff, and base my military only on my home region, that way people can't complain about puppet wanking, now I'm close to a billion pop wise, and in an emergency I will tap into the other territories military numbers, theres nations with upwards of 20 bilion, if I were you, I'd read the stickies and start building up an IC economy, a lot of people change their stats, slightly increasing populations for PMT, and FT and not using everything your NS page says is a common practice.
When we lose one we love, our bitterest tears are called forth by the memory of hours when we loved not enough. - Maurice Maeterlinck

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. - Washington Irving

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get. - Confucius

The Converters
Secretary

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Converters » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Also some people (Myself included) do not use the nation pages and RP everything from their population number to their species.

Snozzerland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Snozzerland » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Well, everything is RP.

However, there is one statistic that IS important, and that is your population. Personally, I don't care if you say your nation has 3 billion, the Population Statistic says 5 million so no you can't invade me with a million troops.

And don't declare wars on civilizations that have 2-3x as many population as you do.

Anyway, playing RP like a sport isn't how you go about it, it's about having fun.
Last edited by Snozzerland on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:06 pm

Snozzerland wrote:Well, everything is RP.

However, there is one statistic that IS important, and that is your population. Personally, I don't care if you say your nation has 3 billion, the Population Statistic says 5 million so no you can't invade me with a million troops.

And don't declare wars on civilizations that have 2-3x as many population as you do.

Anyway, playing RP like a sport isn't how you go about it, it's about having fun.

If you do, gather some allies first
When we lose one we love, our bitterest tears are called forth by the memory of hours when we loved not enough. - Maurice Maeterlinck

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. - Washington Irving

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get. - Confucius

Arkiasis
Senator

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkiasis » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:09 pm

According to your nations date of independence, which is ermmmm today. You are intact the weakest nation. We recommend that you don't openly voice threats upon other nations seeing as pretty every other nation can obliterate you.

OOC: That's not how invasions work, search up "raiding".
The Republic of Arkiasis
NSwiki | IIwiki | Factbook | Map
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56
I like: You <3
I dislike: Fax machines
Move along, nothing to see here.

Zersium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zersium » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Arkiasis wrote:According to your nations date of independence, which is ermmmm today. You are intact the weakest nation. We recommend that you don't openly voice threats upon other nations seeing as pretty every other nation can obliterate you.

OOC: That's not how invasions work, search up "raiding".

They're talking about the RP style, not the style used by people such as the Black Hawks and the likes.

Ahtreil
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ahtreil » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

I thought Populations had nothing to do with the gameplay side.

I mean, i have almost 2 billion citizens, but i RP as if i have ~200 million
My real life views are not represented by my nation, or by acts performed by my nation
Volnotova wrote:
Hippostania wrote:Wealth means that you are successful.

"Get's 100 million inheritance"

Doingitright amright?

Alexlantis
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alexlantis » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Ahtreil wrote:

You can RP as having less people than your page says, but not as having more.
"What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world, but loses his soul?" -Jesus Christ

Nation does not necessarily reflect political views.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00
INTP/INTJ
Writer, high school student, Democratic Socialist, vaguely agnostic Christian of some sort (maybe), Libertarian.

Foxtropica's NS cousin, Samuraikoku's Sancho Panza
Individuality-ness wrote:You are Alex, NSG's writer and lead procrastinator. *nods* :P

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:15 pm

Alexlantis wrote:
Ahtreil wrote:

You can RP as having less people than your page says, but not as having more.

Your allowed to if your a small nation surrounded by giants or it's in the future

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents