NATION

PASSWORD

Escapees [closed, Greater Prussia]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Fatahland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 17, 2007
Ex-Nation

Escapees [closed, Greater Prussia]

Postby Fatahland » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:36 pm

Somewhere in the open seas

It had been already a week since they have fled. There had been three fishing trawlers that they intended to use – but in the end, one of them was intercepted by the Agency. These things happened when you wanted to leave. The Agency waited until the last moment – and seized the board when the defectors had already arrived. They never heard of them again – nor Ahmad the captain, nor Dahlia the teacher, nor Mahmood the engineer. These things happened. They had come to expect these.

The second trawler was caught at sea, by patrolling airplanes. There was a request to stop, and of course they did not. They knew that if they did stop, they would also never be heard from again. So they gunned the engines and run for it – but of course the planes were faster. A naval bomber was called in. It missed the boat three times on its first run, the cheap, unguided bombs dropping into the ocean and soaking the people crowding on the deck. On the second run, it missed again with the first bomb – and struck dead on with the second. There was nobody to resecue – a quarter-ton of explosive punched through the trawler's deck and detonated inside, tearing the ship to bits like a king-size hand-grenade.

Then there was a storm. They were happy for it, at first, because it meant they wouldn't be pursued – but then several people were swept off the deck by the waves. The deck had been full of people – the defectors filled the small boat from prow to stern. Some – all too many -huddled on the deck. In the storm, all of these people perished. The captain, captain's mate, and mechanic were gone too – and with them, nobody to keep the ship on course or keep the engine running. The engine broke three days later.

Soon – all too soon – they began to run low. Water, food. No engine – no electric light and no heating on board. Three people got sick. They could not be treated. The doctor had been lost in the storm too, Doctor Hassan Al-Hariri, a kind old man. He had gotten out on deck to help an injured sailor – and a wave swept both of them away. With none to treat them, the sick people died, and were thrown overboard.

When the first man died, they did not know to tie something to his feet – the corpse bobbed up and down on the water for hours before disappearing on the horizon. When the second man went over, they tied a suitcase to his foot. He vanished instantly, with no trace.

They had three days' worth of food left and were already considering the somber options when a small, grey warship appeared on the horizon. Using the late captain's binoculars, they ascertained it did not carry a Fatahlandi flag.

Only then did the refugees go for the flare gun stored on the boat's bridge.

Zellatia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 29, 2008
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Zellatia » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Captain Miguel Zelanadus had just been given his ship a few months ago after a recent promotion. Of course, before his promotion he had been on ships for years, but nonetheless he felt that everything was new. He had never really given orders to a whole crew before his promotion, and was still getting used to the new chain of command on his ship, the SS Abassi's Knell. That was one of the many reason why he was surprised, when one of the newest crewman, Private Zorner, broke into his captain's quarters without knocking, causing him to almost fall over in fright.

"Captain Zelandus! Some one set off a flare to 1:00 5 miles ahead? Subcaptain Knedel is asking if we are to approach sir!", said the private, seemingly out of breath. Subcaptain Knedel's Radar Room was on the other side of the ship, so the order must have been given not more then a few minutes ago.

The captain sighed, "Private Zorner, would you leave the room for a minute? I am not decent at the moment, and you really should have knocked".

Embarassed, the private bowed and rushed out hurriedly, not wanting to be forced into latrine duty for his obvious mistake. After a a minute and a half, the captain exited his cabin grabbed the private by the shoulder towards the Radar Room.

"You're coming with me, Private, I don't like messengers giving orders for me. We're going straight to the subcaptain", said the Captain, feeling a tad sleepy as he had been napping at the time of the intrusion into his room.

The two walked for about ten minutes before they arrived at the Radar Room and the whole crew inside stood at attention. Captain Zelandus turned towards Subcaptain Knedel and stared at him, slightly annoyed that the subcaptain was unable to make this decision on his own.

"We are heading towards the flare then Subcaptain. Next time I expect you to actually start towards the flare before you send someone to break into my quarters", ordered the captain, looking rather red in the face in the process. As the ship began to near the source of the flare, the captain's eyes widened. The ship barely looked seaworthy and seemed to be a fishing vessel despite the fact that there were no major fishing spots within several nautical miles. All the blood drained from his face as he noted a lack of flag. Normally in these situations he would have gotten to the high command to ask what to do next, but this didn't look like a drug trade boat.

Slowly, as the ship approached, he noted several people waving their hands and speaking some kind of language he'd never heard before. Immediately he turned to his second, the Subcaptain Knedel, and ordered, "We're pulling up aside it and boarding. Get the medics up here pronto. I believe we have ourselves some political refugees. Where from, I have no idea, but I have a feeling we are going to find out soon".

After a few minutes, the two ships were side by side, and Subcaptain Knedel and several medics began to board the ship...
Last edited by Zellatia on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:18 am

Part of the New Hayesalian-Zellatian Garisson Agreement involved the transfer between New Hayesalian Military personnel to Zellatia as part of an exchange agreement. Four New Hayesalians were on this ship, Leading Seamen Robert Towns and Tasmin Kirsti, Petty Officer Darrien Ezzi, and Sub-Lieutenant Peter Tahlink. Kirsti served as a medical officer, and she was one of the several medics scuttled into action when the medics were called into action. She looked quite different in her "Bacteria Blue" naval combt uniform, but the bright New Hayesalian flag stood out nonetheless. She was a Leading Seaman, two bars on her rank slide. She was the equivalent of a Corporal, a Junior Non-Comissioned Officer. She outranked some on this ship, but was still a young sailor.

Dismounting the ship, medical bag in hand, she realised that the refugees were in a very bad shape. Dehydrated and malnourished, the call for supplies was simple. "Abassi's Knell, this is the landing party. We need bottles of water and food, ASAP, repeat water and food."

She released the comms button and began attending to a young boy, probably only seven. His eye was yellowing, swollen with pus. Conjunctivitis. He either caught it from a lack of bathing, or from someone else on board. He was crying, constantly trying to scratch the itch from his eyes as Kirsti attended to him and pushing his hand down, trying to comfort him. He was going to need to be transferred to a hospital ship or back to shore and be attended to by an ophthalmologist. He was quickly taken upon the ship, and the medics continued their work.

Up on the bridge, Sub-Lieutenant Tahlink was charged with finding out who exactly these people were. He had wanted to talk to any of the refugees he could, and with his "Unit", a smartphone from the Xzaerom Institute which acted as a translator he was taken down to deck to speak to one of the refugees. The man was gaunt, and had a barely healed cut which was now being rebandaged by Zellatian Navy medics. Although, the midde-aged man was happy to answer the officer's question before he was treated to a fresh sandwich from the ship's galley.

They were Fatah refugees, with no target and no resources. They were packed too tight, and he spoke about those who had died. He had spoke of the loss of their doctors and crewmen, and how the Fatah government had stopped one ship and bombed the other. It was a crime against humanity: and an international incident.

The conversation was recorded and the Sub-Lieutenant made sure to check the story with every refugee. The Zellatian helicopter was being prepped to evac the most injured and sickest refugees, but not before he took a few words with each of them. The end result was talking to the CO- Captain Zelandus. The New Hayesalian saluted the Zellatian who returned in kind.

"Sir, I need to speak to you about the refugees. I have reason to believe that there's been a crime against humanity. The Fatah government has supposedly bombed one of these boats and ar ekilling people day to day. I need you to pass this report up please, sir."

Zellatia
Diplomat

Postby Zellatia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:59 pm

The Captain on board, Captain Zelanadus sighed in relief. He had expected drug runners or terrorists, but instead it was refugees. This had been the second time he'd seen refugees, the first time being during the Second Zellatian Civil War, but this time these people were foreign. Unlike many of his generation, he had no qualms towards the outside world and it's peoples, so the main emotion he felt at the moment was sadness.

One of the New Hayesalians on board, a Sub-Lieutenant surnamed Tahlink reported to him as soon as it was ascertained who these people were and said,"Sir, I need to speak to you about the refugees. I have reason to believe that there's been a crime against humanity. The Fatah government has supposedly bombed one of these boats and ar ekilling people day to day. I need you to pass this report up please, sir."

The Captain sighed, this day was only going to get longer and more complicated. The second he heard crime against humanity, he knew immediately that this was going to go far farther then he had anticipated. If before he had been disobeying guidelines in not reporting that he had found a ship immediately, he would be fired if he didn't report the fact that these refugees were from a dictatorial countries. Subcaptain Knedel had already told him the ship was from Fatahland, and these revelations were only going to make things harder for him from here on out.

Captain Zelanadus turned towards the Sub-lieutenant and nodded, " I'll make the report. Tell your men and the medic team to continue treating the sick and wounded".

The captain then went to the radar room and began a transmission back to the mainland of Zellatia.

Report 23454: Flare response several hundred miles off of Zellatia:

Today we responded to a flare set off several hundred miles into the open sea. It seemed that it might be smugglers or terrorists, but instead it was refugees from a tyranical nation called Fatahland. The wounded and sick are being treated for a variety of maladies and we are awaiting a reply from you about what to do with the ship and it's refugees. The ship's engines are apparently also broken, so we'll need a few days to properly repair it and likely weeks to heal the sick and wounded.

Sincerely, Captain Miguel Zelanadus, of the SS Abassi's Knell

Ninport, Neukinia Province, Zellatia
High Admiral Konstantus had been having a rough day so far. His superior, Grand Admiral von Leone had once more yelled at him for not playing nice with the New Hayesalian officers who were with their naval squadron in the Zellatian waters. It just so happened that the largest port in all of Zellatia was now Ninport, when it had originally been in the north at Impur. Nonetheless, the New Hayesalians were always making his day harder one hour at a time.

As he was going through the reports, his PDA began to go off, signaling a message from one of the captain's who were currently away from port. This better be good Konstantus thought as he read through the message. Konstantus grimaced as he read the short document, and this report was causing him anger. I bet the New Hayesalia's had something to do with the importance grade on this message. Can this day get much worse?, he thought loudly to himself, trying to mask his anger. He really didn't like the New Hayesalians, heck he didn't like most people to begin with, especially outsiders, but now he had to make a report again to his boss the Grand Admiral. F'in Hayzers, he thought, the recently invented racial epithet echoing in his ears, I wish they weren't here. Goddamn Zellan and his Garrison Pact.

He walked over to the Comms section of the base and forwarded the message to the Grand Admiral, his boss. He, however, added this to the message:

Apparently this is something new, but by the subtext sent to me by the Captain of the SS Abassi's Knell, it was the New Hayesalians who made him ratchet up the level of the message.

Zellton City, Zellatia Proper, Zellatia

The Grand Admiral Theodore von Leone was playing Tennis. It was something he did in his spare time. Of course, his current opponent was none other then Emperor Zellan III Destroniki, but they both enjoyed the sport when they weren't also fencing. The fencing normally comes next. The large admiral smiled as he lobbed back Zellan's serve before it was returned to him and he spiked it down just past the young Emperor leading to the admiral to gain another 15 points. I win again your majesty, he spoke grinning as he panted lightly.

The Emperor, not exactly playing his best game ever, fell to the ground laughing as he was drenched with sweat, "Man Theodore, must you always make me work it when we do anything? It's not like I ever win, when are you actually going to start looking your age anyways?".

Laughing, the Grand Admiral responded, "When you are in your 40's my Emperor. I don't plan on looking old until I am in my coffin thank you very much. Just because I'm in my mid 60's shouldn't mean that I look like I could die any day. Hah! Anyways, I think we need to postpone the fencing for another time, I have a Code Theln to respond to".

The Grand Admiral walked away for a few moments, as he read the report. He ignored the High Admiral's added comment, as the man was one of the most xenophobic men under his command. The man always had nothing good to say about anyone but Zellatians. And even then that was limited to people he had known all his life, like Grand General Garr Destronikan, who was currently in Garrison, readying his troops in case they were needed.

After he finished the report, he turned to the Emperor, who had just finished changing clothes and stared at him intently, "Your majesty, have you ever heard of Fatahland? You know, the place with Communist ruler who is never seen as well as full of atheists and muslims?"

The Emperor raised an eyebrow, "Yeah? Of course I have. Did they send some kind of bomber to harry some international aid organization again while en route to some other country? Or perhaps that awful ruler got overthrown.... Well?"

von Leone laughed hard for a few moments before stating, "Nope. It seems our men found some refugees in the middle of nowhere. I already have a follow up report given by the ranking New Hayesalian aboard. Man those guys like details. Anyways, that place is worse then Christianity's hell by the sounds of it. I believe a message to all the members of our various pacts need to know about this. ASAP as it were".

The Emperor smirked, "It seems so. Do you as soon as you can. Hearing it from you instead of a bunch of lower officers is probably best".

Smiling, the Grand Admiral hurried off, to forward the message and provide further subtext for any leader or foreign minister to read. Today was going to be interesting...

Fatahland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatahland » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Those men first aboard the Akasha's Veil (for this was the name of the fishing trawler) would first discover the smell. The entire ship reeked of fish – after all it had been a fishing vessel for so many years – but also of worse things. Every room, ever passage below-decks had been full of people, just as many as the ship could fit and then some – not quite as dense as a 19th-century slaving vessel, but still far more than it had been built to carry. There was the stench of sweat and human excrement, and worse yet – there was the barely-tangible sweat of human suffering and desperation. The clothing the men and women wore was covered with the white trails of sweaty salt – the good mark of clothing worn for days without a change.

Even the first medical evaluation would discover that many of these people suffered from the first signs of heat-stroke or dehydration. Others were clearly quite mentally disturbed by their ordeal, and yet others showed signs of having been disturbed, perhaps, before they even boarded the vessel.

Clearly in charge of order aboard the ship – but not qualified to arrange for its guidance or survival – was a tall man with a thick black mustache. He was wearing a black suit with a tie. A week ago it was his best suit – now it was unwearable, the once-white shirt undescribably dirty. He approached Subcaptain Knedel and spoke, in English that was grammatically correct – but with a terrible accent that gave away a man who had never before met a native English speaker.

“Good day, Sir. I am Doctor Khalil Zamgati, archaeologist. These people here need medical help. We have escaped from Fatahland – the Fatahland Republic, you know of it no doubt. We need water, medical assistance, and food, in this particular order. I have made out a list of the passengers if you need one- well I have taken the captain's list of the passengers and ticked off the ones... you understand, yes? The ones lost."

Zellatia
Diplomat

Postby Zellatia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:54 pm

Subcaptain Knedel frowned as he heard the man's heavily accented sobstory.,"What you have asked for is already being provided Doctor Zamgati, your people will have all that they need and be sent to Zellatia. The order has already gotten back from the capital, and you and your people are to be treated well upon arrival. No doubt you haven't exactly heard of us, as is unsurpring giving Fatahland's isolationist policies, but Zellatia has taken in refugees before. There aren't enough medics to take care of all of your people immediately aboard our ship, but there will be in a few hours. Thank you for your list, it will be crucial for us to have the names in order to greet your fellow passengers appropriately. As soon as we get the last of you aboard the SS Abassi's Knell, we'll make sure that... well... that none of those aboard your ship are spies. We expect to find one or two, and we'll be profiling everyone. We'd like to thank you for your cooperation in this manner. Anyways, the sickest will be treated first, and we have enough clothing aboard to give you all a change of clothes. Everything should be okay for you from here on in".

As he finished his sentence, he began to have those who could walk get aboard the small warship and had those who could not brought over to the ship via stretcher. Within several hours the old shipping vessel was emptied, and it's passengers aboard the warship. By that time, more medics had arrived along with a surplus of medical supplies. In addition, the passengers who were deemed suspcious were brought into questioning, although that number was low. The showers were also made available for the refugees, and hoses were brought in in order to clean off those who couldn't wait their turn. It was the hope of all of the crew of the Zellatian war vessel that these refugees were able to get some rest after their terrible ordeal.

Fatahland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatahland » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:19 pm

A review of the ship's crew and passengers would discover a total of three hundred and fifty-three survivors. Of these, fifty-one were a Christian pastor and members of his church. About thirty more men were political dissidents in the true sense – men of varied political views who were active against the Fatahlandi government and about seventy more were members of their families: wives, husbands, children and siblings. There was also a Fatahlandi Sheik named Hakim Abdullah Sherin, traveling with nine wives and twenty-eight children of various ages. He spoke in clipped sentences and was clearly in a state of shock. Questioning would discover he had started this journey with ten wives and a brother. The brother and his family had been on one of the other boats, and the tenth wife had been thrown overboard when the storm hit.

There were various others – members of a poetry club in the Fatahlandi capital, pursued apparently for their preference for early Revolutionary poetry (the club had been reported as “unauthorized” and “Subversive”. Fifteen members of college age and Doctor Zamgati were all that remained) – three avant-garde painters, and quite a few men and women of various professions – from engineers to ex-military men, and even two plumbers. Many had also come with their children – and Fatahlandi did tend to have quite a few kids.

A more thorough looking over the list would also discover a Lieutenant Kamir Garzai, formerly of the Fatahlandi Prison Service, and Lt. Colonel Abdul Al-Bakhar, claiming to be a fighter pilot, and finally a young man under the name of Saeed ibn Abd al-Aziz – a physicist.

Zellatia
Diplomat

Postby Zellatia » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:26 pm

As most of the passengers and refugees aboard the fishing vessel checked out without triggering any alarms amongst the officers reviewing the passenger list, everyone remaining was left alone except for Lieutenant Kamir Garzai, formerly of the Fatahlandi Prison Service, Lt. Colonel Abdul Al-Bakhar, claiming to be a fighter pilot, and Saeed ibn Abd al-Aziz – a physicist. While most of the others had been deemed completely unsuspicious, a deeper interview would be needed for all three, if only for safety's sake. Afterall, any of the three could work for the intelligence ministry for Fatahland and cause havoc amongst the surviving passengers should they dock in Zellatia before being checked out. Each would be interviewed seperately, at about the same time, in order to stop any communication amongst themselves should some or all of them be spies.

Cabinet Meeting at the Zellatian Royal Palace,Zellton City, Zellatia Proper, Zellatia

Emperor Zellan III Destroniki sat amongst his cabinet as they continued to deliberate about which port the refugees would be sent to. Half of his cabinet argued the safety of Ninport, while the other half were arguing for the discrete idea of Impur.

"Impur is the best port for this, it's not only closer to the capital, but it has extensive facilities built to take in refugees!", screamed the Minister of Security, Zelhaus Duhasten.

"Seriously? Is those the only reasons you can come up with? Ninport is much bigger, and as a regional hub it has more doctors and psychiatrists for the wounded refugees", said the Interior Minister, Richard Geadenssen.

"All of you stop this bickering immediately!", yelled the Emperor, finally sick of their fighting, "They'll dock at Merieuvinge, so neither of you win. You are here to have nice discussions, not to argue. I called you here for advice, and all I hear is a school-age arguement of 'Nuh-uh's and Uh-huh's'. Now, get to telling the port officials at Merieuvinge that the SS Abassi's Knell should be arriving in the next few days pronto. If I don't here a confirmation back within an hour, I will personally fire one of you for every following hour they are late!".

The Emperor sighed as the cabinet, sans his generals, ran out the door, "Those people can be so frustrating at time. All they do is bicker whenever a major decision needs to be made and now that has spread to minor ones. I might need to fire them just for that! Anyways, give me a lowdown on the military of Fatahland. Now".

First to speak was Grand General Garr Destronikan, " Well m'lord there isn't much. Very little is known about the PSRF armed forces. What is known is that they consists of several mutually complementary branches. The main among them is the People's Army, which is equivalent in its role to an ordinary military force, consisting of the ordinary military branches. An auxiliary role is played by the People's Revolutionary Militia, effectively a last-ditch defense force on the Volksturm model. Dissidents and defectors have suggested that provisions exist for accepting as 'volunteers' every members of the male population starting at age 10.

Yet another organization is the Internal Forces, a military force composed mainly of infantry forces that double up as riot police. Their goal – according to statements from defectors – is to suppress internal dissent. Officially they exist to maintain law and order, suppress 'bourgeois westernized bandits', as well as back up the ordinary armed forces during a military emergency. It answer to the Agency for Internal Security
".

Next up was the Grand Admiral Theodore von Leone, "There is a bit more. Also answering to the Agency is the People's Revolutionary Guard. While officially it is simply an elite military force, in fact it is a military within a military, with its own aircraft, warships, and other forces, (focusing primarily on ground components). Its members are extremely indoctrinated in service to the Comrade Glorious Leader and the Fatahlandi Communist Party.

Every Fatahlandi, male or female, must go through a 3-year service in the military starting with the age of 18. Those incapable of military service are given other work to qualify as their 'national service'. There are no exemptions except those for individuals lucky to have been accepted to military and law enforcement-oriented colleges, engineering and agriculture colleges, or to certain roles within the Communist Party of Fatahland and Communist Party training colleges/seminars (effectively known as the 'exemption for loyal party suck-ups and bureaucrats' families' among defectors and dissidents). That's about all we know your majesty
".

The Emperor sighed, "This isn't much really to go on, but is that all the intelligence community gathered? Nothing about the quality of the forces or where they are stationed? Man, If we intervene, this is going to be the hardest war we've ever fought on record. I really want to intervene. Nations like this.... just anger me. They don't care at all about their people. They just want power. We're still hearing back from the envoys from the various nations we've allied to, but hopefully we'll be able to get more info before a decision is made".

The two military commanders nodded, got up, turned around, and left, leaving the Emperor to think to himself, What now?

Ancient and Holy Terra
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient and Holy Terra » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:17 pm

ATN Second Summer (LHDN-7)
Flagship, Expeditionary Strike Group 8
Bridge - 4:18 PM

"Well now...that's a real mess out there, isn't it Captain Akita?"

The speaker was tall and solidly built, his frame suggesting that he had once been a man possessed of great physical strength, although his short hair and carefully trimmed beard were now gray, his back bent slightly with age. He wore a clean, simple black uniform, adorned with a number of medals on his left breast. Aside from the stylized dress hat he wore, his sole distinguishing feature was the shoulder boards he wore, embroidered with a pair of broad stripes, a gold sheet knot and a single star: the insignia of a upper-half Rear Admiral.

"Aye, sir," his companion responded, frowning unhappily out of the bridge window. Captain Akita was the opposite of the Rear Admiral: compact, slight, shaved bald and always moving. He gave the impression of great energy, bordering on nervousness. "I doubt the men will enjoy pounding through that."

The object of their discontent was hovering off in the distance, a great mass of dark clouds and torrents of rain, hinting at towering waves and howling winds. Expeditionary Strike Group 8 had been battling through the fringes of the storm all day beneath an overcast sky, and it wasn't appearing that it would let up anytime soon. Rear Admiral Kamiyama had been ignoring the increasingly dire predictions from both Meteorology and Flight Operations for the best part of 18 hours, instead choosing to battle towards the storm. The Second Summer had endured the heaving sea admirably, but the smaller vessels were being tossed about by the waves, and even the stubborn old Admiral had to admit that he was getting uncomfortable.

“We’ll get through it, Captain,” Kamiyama muttered, turning to face Akita. “Any updates?” he asked, clasping his hands behind his back and straightening up.

The Captain glanced down at a small computer tablet, swiping his hand across the screen to access Tactical’s current status. He shook his head.

“No sir. Nothing since those contacts merged three hours ago and separated again.”

It was a curious situation, to be sure. In Kamiyama’s experience, radar contacts rarely merged this far out to sea for a good reason. In any other circumstance, it could be a sign of piracy and hostage taking, or else smugglers exchanging goods. It could have been terrorists trying to sneak across international waters. However, it wasn’t likely to be any of those things, for the simple reason that they knew what one of those radar contacts was.

“And we’re sure that was a Zellatian warship out there?”

“Aye, Admiral,” the Captain answered, looking down at his tablet again. “Tentatively identified as the SS Abassi’s Knell, although our intelligence on Zellatian fleet activities is more than a week old. We’re still waiting for confirmation from ONI, but no other ship with that radar signature has been detected transiting into the region.”

Ryuichi Kamiyama stroked his chin with one hand. The Zellatians were regional partners, a trustworthy and intelligent nation. They didn’t seem the type for subterfuge.

“And the message traffic?” he asked quietly, as the Second Summer rolled sharply atop a huge wave. Captain Akita steadied himself with one hand before answering.

“There has been a whole mess of flash traffic in the last couple hours, sir, all of it encrypted. We passed along what we intercepted, but the spooks weren’t optimistic about cracking the Zellatian ciphers any time soon.”

It was, indeed, a curious situation. “Do they know we’re out here, Captain?” he wondered.

“I would assume so, sir,” Akita stated, nodding energetically. “ESG 8’s presence in this region for the last month is hardly a secret, and our location is regularly pushed to REJNOMCOM. Given how much noise we’re making to push through this storm, they’ll hear us coming before long, if nothing else.”

Kamiyama nodded again, and was about to say something when he heard the sound of rapid footsteps. He turned to see his adjutant, Lieutenant Abe, striding up to him holding another tablet. Before the Lieutenant could open his mouth, Kamiyama had already held out his hand. “Give it here, Lieutenant,” he said, wiggling his fingers for emphasis. Abe simply nodded and handed over the dataslate.

The words Top Secret scrolled across the top of the screen, above a small green box provided for the fingerprint scanner. Admiral Kamiyama placed his finger within the box, which verified his identity and unlocked the screen. The message that appeared was intriguing.

Code: Select all
ENCRYPTION K8-ALEPH
---
---
AUTHORIZATION FOR EXPEDITIONARY STRIKE GROUP 8 TO RENDEZVOUS WITH PRESUMED ZELLATIAN CONTACT.
---
ONI ATTEMPTING TO CONFIRM IDENTITY OF CONTACT.
---
BE ADVISED, HEIGHTENED DIPLOMATIC AND MILITARY FLASH TRAFFIC THROUGHOUT GREATER PRUSSIA. ZELLATIAN AMBASSADOR HAS BEEN SUMMONED.
---
TMSDF JOINT COMMAND MEETING SOON TO DISCUSS. PROVIDE UPDATES AS SITUATION ALLOWS.
---
LORD ADMIRAL ISHIDA SENDS HIS REGARDS.
---
---
END DECRYPT

Kamiyama handed the tablet to Captain Akita without a word and waited for the smaller man’s opinion. “Anything, Captain?”

“Seems like we’ve got no choice but to push through the storm, sir,” he said, handing back the tablet to Lieutenant Abe. “Orders, Admiral?”

“Instruct Navigation to plot an intercept course with that radar contact. See if we can push the battlegroup to 25 knots in this storm.” Kamiyama turned to the Lieutenant. “Abe, get down to Flight Operations and tell them to secure the aircraft belowdecks, but to keep a pair of MH-53T’s fueled and ready to go.”

The two men nodded and headed off to their appointed tasks. Rear Admiral Kamiyama simply looked out the window, shaking his head at the storm as the first hints of rain began pattering off the large bridge windows.

Zellatia
Diplomat

Postby Zellatia » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Captain Miguel Zelanadus was not having a good day. It's not that it was a bad day either, but it was mostly depressing. The longer the day dragged on, the sadder it got. He really needed something to distract him. Then again, he was sure SOMETHING would. It was bound to happen. Heck, it could be happening right now. Probably having to do with that ship that had been following them for a while. Had it been a member of Fatahland's navy, either his or their ships would have been sunk by now by a battle, if not by the storm. No, it had to be a regional ally's ship. One that wasn't sure what was going on, but one that wouldn't move in to find out. The only ship he could think of right off the top of his head would be the Terran ship, the Second Summer. He might as well head to the Radar room and tell the subcaptain to communicate with them already.

He walked briskly, doing his best not to bump into one of the refugees who were flooding his shiny new ship. While he did care about them, he was too deep in it to have time for open emotions. That time would be when he was telling his superiors personally at the report hearing when they got into port, which was now to be Mereiuvinge of all places. He'd have to pass the Western Dominions and a few unsettled and claimed islands. But there was a time and a place for thoughts of moving the ship, and that was not now.

He arrived at the Radar room as dispatches from the capital and from the Naval HQ of Ninport came in and out with lightning speeds. The messages came with the standard Zellatian encryptions, although he was sure that the Terrans had tried to find out what they said. They'd never know unless they put a lot of time into it, as the cyphers were changed at least twice a month due to the fears of the high command that an out of context message might be a prelude to war. The captain sighed loudly to get the attention of his first mate, the Subcaptain Knedel, but it was no use. The man was too busy to even hear it. The captain, not wanting to waste any time more then needed, just knocked on his second-in-command's head and spoke loudly, "Earth to Knedel, this is your captain speaking!"

The subcaptain practically jumped into the air and turned around ready to sock his boss in the face before realizing who it was, "Oh, Captain, I didn't notice you were here. What do you need, sir?"

Sighing, the captain spoke, "I need you to send a message to the ship that's been tailing us for the last few hours. Tell them hello. Also, add some embleshments, as I'm sure it's the Second Summer. Tell them exactly what's going on. It shouldn't be all that hard to do, so get snappy with it. Priority 1".

Saluting, the subcaptain got over to his message deck and began to write a message to the Second Summer:

"To: Second Summer

As we are both aware, our ship, the SS Abassi's Knell met up with a suspicious ship several hours ago. This suspicious ship turned out to be a refugee ship from Fatahland, filled to the brim with refugees who were all in some sort of disrepair. They are currently being handled tenderly, and as both of our superiors likely know by now, are to be treated well. If you wish to follow our ship back to port, there will be no objections from our captain, as he has known of your presence for hours. The stormy weather not withstanding, we had no choice but to abandon the now empty vessel out to sea where it will likely sink. If you have any information regarding the ship that you believe we are uninformed about, please send a notice back. Otherwise, send a message of your choosing back at your convenience.

Sincerely, Subcaptain Knedel, Second in Command aboard the SS Abassi's Knell"

British Prussia
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby British Prussia » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:21 am

TO THE GOVERNMENTS OF NEW HAYESALIA AND ZELLATIA

From the British Prussian Foreign Office

As member state of the Greater Prussian region, I have been instructed by the King to offer aid with your refugee incident with supplies. I have been instructed to ask you what you wish from our government. However, despite the clear abuses of power and the denial of basic civil rights the Government of Fatahland has inflicted upon its people, I have been ordered not to accept any actions which would hurt British Prussian relations with the the ruling powers in Fatahland, without approval from the King himself. Our government is willing to open up its borders for up to 1,000 refugees at this moment.

Sir Travis Alexander, 1st Minister of State
Last edited by British Prussia on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
British Prussia - Britisches Preußen
Content provided by: Foreign & Trade Office | Ministry of War
Embassy | Factbook | C.W.Sentinel | Regional Map
WARCON: | Critical | Severe | Substanial | Low
Response: | Execptional | Heightened | Normal
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.69

Conservative Cosmopolitan
Cosmopolitan 18%
Secular 17%
Reactionary 4%
Authoritarian 14%
Capitalistic 12%
Pro-Military 9%
Anthropocentric 43%
Monarchy, Centre-Right, Military, Economic Interventionism, Trade, Wealth, Living Wage, Social Conservatism, Capitalism, Pro-Choice, Lesbians/Gays/Bisexuals, Roman Catholicism, Hong Kong, Commonwealth of Nations, Anglosphere, Conservative Party (UK), National Party (NZ)

Zellatia
Diplomat

Postby Zellatia » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 am

To: The British Prussian Foreign Office

While we are not suprised that you wish to accept some of the refugees, we are going to refuse your offer. While we are regional allies, that does not mean that we will put up with your cowardice in this matter. Saying you will take refugees and then saying at the same time that you will do nothing to harm your reputation with Fatahland is schizophrenic at best, and two faced at worst. We, as a result, cannot trust your nation not to just turn over the refugees to Fatahland in exchange for some kind of favorable trade deal later on in the coming years should the offer come up. Therefore, we are refusing your offer, and thank you for your time, although it was wasted. Your superiors are cowardly, and there is nothing else we can say about that. Good day to you sir.

Sincerely, Foreign Minister Geadus Lindamere

Fatahland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatahland » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:37 pm

Results of preliminary questioning:

Lieutenant Kamir Garzai has been a guard at several Fatahlandi prisons, labor camps and work sites. He has decided eventually to quit after witnessing many crimes of the regime, but was not immediately able to quit, as his aging mother would be left behind and no doubt imprisoned by the Agency. After her death of old age he decided to flee the country. He is twenty-five years old and has worked in the Prison Service since age 18, when he was drafted.

Lt. Colonel Abdul Al-Bakhar is a former interceptor pilot with the 32nd Fighter Squadron, 403rd Air Defense Army, South-Eastern Fatahland.

Saeed ibn Abd al-Aziz is a former employee at an experimental nuclear reactor.

Zellatia
Diplomat

Postby Zellatia » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:41 pm

In response to the information gathered from the preliminary testing, a few conclusions were reached. First of all was that the Physicist was not forthcoming at all. Next was that the Air Force L. Colonel was very specific, which could be good for intel. Lastly was that the story of the former prison guard had been a tad more detailed then expected. As a result, each would be asked the following

To the Physicist, it would be asked where the facility he used to work at was. This would be confirmed by satellite imagery if correct or not. His file in the Fatahlandi database might need looking at too.

To the prison gaurd, he would be asked where on a prepared map the various prison and other related camps were in Fatahland. This would also be confirmed by the Zellatian satellites. It would also be confirmed whether the familial status posited was correct or not through hacking of his personel file to see if perhaps his story was correct.

And lastly, to the Air Force L. Colonel, he would be asked where he was stationed and where the major air depots were, which would be confirmed again via satellite imagery. His personel file would also be dredged up if even possible. Hopefully all of them would have a findable file, lest something slip throught the cracks unnoticed. We wouldn't want a spy among the refugees, now would we?

Report by Lieutenant Briggsworth, Commander of the Intelligence Division of the SS Abassi's Knell

British Prussia
Minister

Postby British Prussia » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:59 pm

TO THE GOVERNMENTS OF NEW HAYESALIA AND ZELLATIA

Although we are dissapointed by your reply, we understand the offence we might have caused to your sovereign nation, our foreign policy dictates that our nation, will not, open hostilities to other nations unless our Greater Prussian allies request it, if our nation itself comes under attack, or another nation is hindering British Prussian interests. Should you come under threat by Fatahland, however, we will give aid if you request it. We seriously ask you to use diplomatic channels first to negotiate with Fatahland before relations are damaged, or should conflict arise from this incident.

Sir Travis Alexander.
Political Compass

Cosmopolitan 18%
Secular 17%
Reactionary 4%
Authoritarian 14%
Capitalistic 12%
Pro-Military 9%
Anthropocentric 43%
Monarchy, Centre-Right, Military, Economic Interventionism, Trade, Wealth, Living Wage, Social Conservatism, Capitalism, Pro-Choice, Lesbians/Gays/Bisexuals, Roman Catholicism, Hong Kong, Commonwealth of Nations, Anglosphere, Conservative Party (UK), National Party (NZ)

Fatahland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatahland » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:51 pm

[Saeed ibn Abd al-Aziz]"I work at... it is called Facility 56. It is a High Energy X-ray Photodisintegration Subcritical Reactor. It is out in the Khamar desert. You need to go for five hours by car, and then there is a house on the desert plain. Several houses, but the reactor complex is under ground. I don't drive my own car. The workers work there in five day shifts, then we get seven days off, unless we're working on a major project and then all bets ar off."

[Lieutenant Kamir Garzai] "First I served as a draftee, guarding prison camps near the desert. I had very little contact with the inmates at this time, I only pulled guard shifts. These were camps mostly for criminal prisoners, petty thieves, robbers, this lot. They were made to dig irrigation canals. Then an officer's course, and then I was assigned to a city prison. Large red brick building. There there were a lot of political prisoners. I worked there for years. People were beaten in the lower stories - not how you would beat a man for an hour or two in a police station if he's a thief, but serious beatings. Sometimes they died. Agency people did this. I do not know why. Finally they moved me to a camp in the Khamar desert. I oversaw a platoon of guards. Outer perimeter again. People would try to escape every month or two. People tried to bring them back alive - we were paid five hundred dinars for each man we caught. If we did not catch them, we were authorized to shoot them. Sometimes some of the guards did. I did not stop them - really there was no point. They wouldn't have made it in the desert. "

[Lt. Colonel Abdul Al-Bakhar] "The 32nd Fighter Squadron! An illustrious unit. I have served there since flight school. I had access to all sorts of secret documentation. It is a good thing you have me! Let me show you everything on the map. You must be very careful. The Fatahlandi military is very powerful and ruthless. They have every manner of weapons, chemical weapons, atomic weapons, landmines, if they need to they will tie their children with ropes and tell them to run at you. Very fanatical."

[routine satellite checks confirm the presence of various buildings in the Khamar desert that could or could not be the reactor site. Fatahland has no major Internet connection save for official propaganda sites, which are not available to its own citizens.]

Zellatia
Diplomat

Postby Zellatia » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:35 pm

It is quite surprising what we found out in the desert. It looked exactly like what the physicist had said. A nuclear reactor. Likely enough, it would have to be destroyed if war ever came about, and done so quickly enough that they wouldn't be able to evacuate anything or file any emails. The Lithium Rod Bomb would be used in that case, and we really don't want to use it. He is to be guarded, but otherwise let free. The man might be a good expat one day should he decide to stay.

The guard was to be let go for now. He should be under surveillance should he have been lying about anything, but I doubt it. He seemed to have never wanted to be a part of the prison service in the first place, and he's lucky to be in our custody while we head towards port.

The Air Force Pilot's response was slightly... nationalistic. I'm starting to get suspicious of him. He seems smarter then he's letting on, and might be a spy. As such, we're letting him go, but he is to be watched much more extensively then the prison guard. He's likely lying to us about the true potential of the army of Fatahland, but the part about the fanatacism is something he might have been right about. We've heard some parts of their population are extremely fanatic, so if anything happens as a result of this incident, we'll have to keep an eye out.

Report by Lieutenant Briggsworth, Commander of the Intelligence Division of the SS Abassi's Knell

Ancient and Holy Terra
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient and Holy Terra » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:50 am

ATN Second Summer (LHDN-7)
Flagship, Expeditionary Strike Group 8
Bridge - Communications Section - 5:25 PM

Captain Akita read the message quickly, his eyes tracking back-and-forth across the computer screen.

"A refugee ship?" he wondered aloud, still leaning over the back of the communication officer's chair. "And Fatahland? Who the hell cares about Fatahland?"

Rear Admiral Kamiyama, standing behind the Captain, chuckled quietly, though he quickly disguised the sound by clearing his throat. "It's a highly isolated nation, Captain, and therefore some of us care very much about Fatahland. I'm always concerned with what we don't know."

Akita nodded, confused. "Of course sir, but I don't see th-"

Kamiyama cut him off. "Thirty years ago, when I was at the Kaigun War College studying naval aviation, ONI lost a dozen intelligence agents in the space of six months while trying to infiltrate the People's Revolutionary Guard. As far as I know, they still haven't succeeded. Therefore, anything out of Fatahland - even poor refugees - is a prize for the spooks back in Asuka-to."

Captain Akita merely nodded again. "What do we do, Admiral?" he asked, as the ship rolled ponderously.

"It's a shame that we can't take the refugee ship under tow; ONI would have a field day with it." Rear Admiral Kamiyama stood in thought for a moment. "I suppose the only thing we can do now is follow them, Captain. The Ninth Fleet is due to relieve us in a few days regardless. Actually-." He turned his head down and spoke into the microbead sewn into his collar. "Strategic, are there any elements of the TASDF's Special Airlift Group nearby? Specifically the 129th Wing?"

The reply came back garbled, but the Admiral grinned regardless. "Thank you, Strategic." He turned to Captain Akita and the Communications Officer. "Here's what we'll do. Draft this message..."

Code: Select all
COMMON REGIONAL ENCRYPT R2-RESH
TRANSMITTED FROM: ATN SECOND SUMMER (LHDN-7), FLAGSHIP, ESG 8
INTENDED RECIPIENT: SS ABASSI'S KNELL
---
We appreciate clarification of the situation, Subcaptain Knedel. Currently we have no additional information to provide, although the Foreign Ministry apologizes for troubling your ambassador to Ancient Terra.
---
We've been cleared to accompany you to Zellatia, and Meteorology forecasts a break in the storm roughly 25 miles ahead where we'd like to attempt a rendezvous.
---
As an Amphibious Assault Ship, the Second Summer is equipped with respectable hospital facilities. If any of the refugees should require medical attention, we can effect a transfer via our embarked air wing if necessary. Please advise. Additionally, the TASDF's 129th Wing is available to assist with an airlift, and has considerable experience handling refugees. Please pass this offer up the chain of command.
---
Our intelligence on Fatahland is limited, but elements of their military are rumored to be quite belligerent. Please stay alert. Best of luck. Rear Admiral Kamiyama looks forward to meeting the Captain of the Abassi's Knell when we reach port.
---
Regards,
Captain Masateru Akita, Commanding Officer ATN Second Summer - TMSDF -
---
---
END ENCRYPT

Zellatia
Diplomat

Postby Zellatia » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Captain Zelanadus watched over his second-in-command's shoulder as he recieved a message from the Second Summer. Smiling, the Captain ordered the subcaptain, "Respond to them post haste. They are after all, regional allies of ours. However, I'll need to report to our superiors who we've gotten into contact with, so I shall not be watching over your shoulder as per normal. Carry on as you see fit, Subcaptain".

The subcaptain shivered for a moment, as the cold winds came through the now open door, and got used to the cold air once more. He was from Ainia, and he wasn't really all that used to the cold yet. Before he was transfered to the southern division, he'd been stationed in the Ambron Coast, and area with relatively warm weather as well as a warm climate. Nonetheless, as per orders, he responded to the message sent by the Second Summer's Captain.

"To: Second Summer

While we appreciate your offer to have some of our refugees while we both head towards our port of destination, which we shall not tell you until we are within fifty miles of it, we have more than adequate facilities here, as well as an abundance of medical supplies that were flown in from the Western Dominions. You will have plenty of oppurtunities to talk to the refugees yourselves when we reach port. We also appreciate your warnings about the beligerence of the Fatahlandi military, and such understandings are already made. We have several satellites watching our area at all time should we be attacked, and several fighter squadrons at the ready should the Fatahlandi military be foolish enough to attack, which I am assured they might actually do. We have gotten some key details from our talks with the refugees which we shall also discuss with you and your crew upon entrance to port.

The captain has expressed interest in a meeting with you, Captain Masateru Akita. He said to tell me when you respond back to him to ask if you and your officer corps. would like to take a look around the port of destination when we arrive. He is under the impression that you'll really enjoy the local cuisine. Also, do not worry about our Ambassador in your nation. He hardly gets out much nowadays anyways.

Sincerely, Subcaptain Knedel, Second in Command aboard the SS Abassi's Knell"

Fatahland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatahland » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Meanwhile in Fatahland

There was a good reason for people to try and take their children and families along as they fled. Those who did not could expect... interesting things to happen to their families. Some were treated quite kindly – like, for example, Fatima Al-Bakhar, the Lieutenant-Colonel's estranged wife. Taking into the account the two had not been living together for the past two years, as well as Fatima's achievements as a deputy principal in a military academy in the capital, she was merely denied her pay bonus and her up-coming promotion.

Others were not this lucky. Within the coming days, over two hundred Fatahlandi had been fired from their jobs. Fifty more men and women had vanished, reappearing only months later in work camps in inner Fatahland.

The irrigation projects were in urgent need for more workers. The Agency could not afford to be too kind.

Zellatia
Diplomat

Postby Zellatia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:18 pm

To Those Who It Concerns RE: The Fatahland Problem

Over recent years, I have noted more and more crimes against humanity perpetrated by the government of Fatahland. The Comrade Glorious Leader, or whatever he wants to call himself, has led this formerly idylic nation for far too long. I've looked back into my great-grandfather's personal records, and he noted how nice the people of Fatahland were during their 1945 visit to Zellatia. Now this formerly free land has been ruled with an iron fist for the last fifty odd years, and I say that this has been fifty odd years long enough. As my diplomats have likely already informed you, one of my warships, the SS Abassi's Knell came across a refugee vessel from Fatahland, filled to the brim with refugees. They told of woes and terrors inflicted upon them by the Fatahlandi regime and the evil regime's weapons. One of them, a former air force colonel, told of various weapons that the Fatahlandi regime holds, which include nuclear weapons. Such a terrible regime should not even have the capacity for this, not when it's people are suffering. That is why I am asking you, my regional allies, to meet in Zellton City in the next few days to discuss whether or not we move forward towards a better future. Thank you for reading this message.

Sincerely, Emperor Zellan III Destroniki, Emperor of Zellatia, Tigaria, the Dominions, the Colonies, and all other Zellatian territories.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:05 pm

Official Message from Alexander Kazansky, Emperor of Greater Prussia, President of Allanea, King of Reichskamphen, Emperor of the Thousand States, Archduke of Dragkon, Liberator of Torontonias, Count of Centreville, General-Secretary of the Confederacy of Sovereign States and the Coalition of Drug-Exporting Nations, and President of the CAPINTERN, on behalf of the United States of Allanea, Greater Prussia, CAPINTERN, and CSS.

Dear friends!

We have watched this controversy, and We would like to send a messenger to attend this conference. It will be Marshal Friedrich von Herrmann, an esteemed veteran of the Greater Prussian Armed Forces. He will represent the interests of the Empire, and is authorized to discuss Greater Prussian military assistance, if any is required.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:11 pm

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN- LONG LIVE NEW HAYESALIA.
COMPATIENS, LIBERA, ET CONTUMAX

As part of our international obligations and the magnitude of this incident, Prime Minister Daniel Hayes has been dispatched to attend this conference. In addition, Sub-Lieutenant Peter Tahlink and Leading Seaman Tasmin Kirsty of the New Hayesalian Navy will be attending as military aides to the Prime Minister. They will also discuss conditions upon the intercepted vessel which was intercepted by the Zellatian Navy ship Abassi's Knell upon which the two sailors served.

We hope that this conference wuill expedite the delivery of justice for the people of Fatahland.

Official Message of the Greater Island Kingdom of New Hayesalia
Compatiens, Libera, et Contumax

British Prussia
Minister

Postby British Prussia » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:52 am

TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ZELLATIA

I have been informed to tell your government that HRH the Crown Prince of Wolfenstein will be attending the Fatahland Crisis conference.

Sir Travis Alexander.
Political Compass

Cosmopolitan 18%
Secular 17%
Reactionary 4%
Authoritarian 14%
Capitalistic 12%
Pro-Military 9%
Anthropocentric 43%

Zearing II
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zearing II » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:57 am

IC:

Blaire, the Federal Republic of Zearing

President John Barry read and then re-read the reports from the State Department, the War Department, and at least six different reports from assorted intelligence units. This was probably the first time in years that a President of the F.R.Z. had been asked to directly review intelligence concerning the Republic of Fatahland, and he was initially curious as to why. As he read on, however, the reasons became clear, and he found himself growing increasingly angry that any nation could treat the men and women who created and supported it so terribly.

In the room with him were the Secretary of War, William C. Armour, the Secretary of State, Mirren Gordon, and his National Security Advisor, Theresa S. Schaffner, a recent addition to the President's innermost circle.

"What do you all make of this?" he asked after what seemed like hours of silence reading the reports. The three officials looked at one another, each one asking those beside them to speak first without actually saying anything at all. Finally, however, it was Secretary of State Gordon who spoke.

"I can't exactly say I'm surprised by this, Mr. President, considering who we're talking about. This is a nation ruled by a guy who is known to the public by his title, and basically nothing else. I doubt any of the schmucks on that boat have even seen the guy's face."

"Assuming there really is a Comrade Glorious Leader, of course." That was Schaffner, speaking up from the sidelines. Gordon nodded at that.

"Terry has a point, Mr. President. For all we know, the country's run by somebody else, by a committee of Party heads, perhaps. Then again, he could be real. We just have no idea."

Barry sighed and dropped the papers lightly on his desk. He'd heard of Fatahland before, of course, first during his days in the State Department, and then once things had calmed down following the elections, during the basic intelligence overview provided by the CIA Deputy Directorate for Planning. He'd always thought the data he had been given then was sparse because they didn't see a need to trouble him with it, but this...

Not even knowing the name of a foreign state's leader? Not even knowing if the guy was a real person?

"Christ." He more breathed the word than spoke it, leaning back in his chair, closing his eyes and rubbing the bridge of his nose. After a moment, he opened his eyes.

"What's this about a summit you mentioned, Mirren?"

"It's a conference in Zelltan City called by the Emperor of Zellatia, one Zellan the Third, to discuss the situation in Fatahland. Apprently, the last time Fatahland had major contact with Zellatia was about five decades ago. Now, according to these refugees the place has become a downright awful place. Prison camps, the works, a real shithole. Apparently the Emperor's decided this is unacceptable now, and so he's called a meeting. They're calling it the Fatahland Crisis Conference."

"I see," the President replied, leaning forward once again. "So...do we go?"

"Absolutely, Mr. President," Schaffner replied. "It's a regional issue now. We can't ignore it."

"I agree with Terry," Gordon said, as the War Secretary nodded.

"I haven't really contributed much here," he said. "But we do need to do something, preferably not by ourselves."

The President leaned back once more, smiling this time.

"Then it's decided," he said. "Mirren, it's either you or one of your better deputies. Make it happen."

"Right away, Mr. President."

Message from the Federal Republic of Zearing

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It has come to the attention of this Government that a crisis of sorts is developing regarding the Republic of Fatahland, which for the last several years has kept up an isolationist front to the rest of the world, apparently to hide the atrocities which are now being revealed to us by the recently discovered refugees.

I believe I speak for the majority when I say that my country finds such conditions to be unacceptable. Thus, the President has authorized me to send representatives immediately to Zellton City to take part in the upcoming Fatahland Crisis Conference.

For this purpose, I shall be sending Ms. Meghan O'Sullivan, an experienced diplomat of the highest caliber, to observe and take part in the conference. She will have in her party a War Department official who will be carrying the bulk of military and economic information which we possess regarding Fatahland.

- Secretary of State Mirren Gordon
Last edited by Zearing II on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's really a difference in RPing a bad nation, and RPing a nation badly.

I'm not actually a racist. That's just how I play the nation. Leave me alone if it bothers you that much.

If something I have posted offends you, step back, take a deep breath, and ask yourself: Does he care? If it really offends you, drop me a line. I'm always up for a civil conversation.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents