NATION

PASSWORD

The NS Galaxy Map

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Tue May 08, 2012 7:34 pm

The Mindset Reborn wrote:Sorry guys, I've been very busy at the tail end crunch time of a project. It's not done yet, but it should be wrapping up in a week or so, and then I really honestly actually can take a look at the source code to see what I can do. I can offer no promises in terms of timescale, but it's something I will get around to eventually, especially since people seem interested.

We are not worthy! :bow:

What language(s) is/are the code in? I may be able to help with the recoding and/or profiling for tuning away hotspots.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

North Mack
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Mack » Tue May 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Holy Trek wrote:
Dansbruck wrote:I think the link is broken.

It is. I tried to get into it, and got an error message

The site is currently dead. Which you'd know if you'd bothered to read anything other than the first post. The thread has become a discussion of possibly getting it back up again.

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
The Mindset Reborn wrote:Sorry guys, I've been very busy at the tail end crunch time of a project. It's not done yet, but it should be wrapping up in a week or so, and then I really honestly actually can take a look at the source code to see what I can do. I can offer no promises in terms of timescale, but it's something I will get around to eventually, especially since people seem interested.

We are not worthy! :bow:

What language(s) is/are the code in? I may be able to help with the recoding and/or profiling for tuning away hotspots.

Since it doesn't look like he's online anymore... it's php code with a mysql backend. He may have used some bits and pieces of javascript / ajax in certain parts. Not entirely sure. It's messy.
T H E S T E L L A R R E P U B L I C O F N O R T H M A C K
Forged in Fire, Reforged in Blood
[ DeviantArt | NS FT Discord | The Local Cluster | FT Advice and Assistance Thread | The State of the Galaxy ]

Holy Trek
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Trek » Wed May 09, 2012 8:10 am

North Mack wrote:
Holy Trek wrote:
It is. I tried to get into it, and got an error message

The site is currently dead. Which you'd know if you'd bothered to read anything other than the first post. The thread has become a discussion of possibly getting it back up again.

Well....THANK YOU, CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! Just FYI..I DID read more than the first post.
Last edited by Holy Trek on Wed May 09, 2012 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALSO RP AS: Federate Cherokee State, New Aztlan
Founder/member of: Dual Monarchy of Holy Trek-Inuyashina, Intergalactic Federacy and member of ANTO
Type VII, Tier I Civilization
Pro: Obamacare, gun control, choice, gay rights, Israel, Church and State separation, Liberalism
Anti: Theocracy, Tea Party, Radical Republicans, Limbaugh, Palin, Cruz, Conservatism
My nation reflects certain of my OOC and RL beliefs, a few of which are listed. Don't like it? Don't engage me in debate.
MT nation: Imperial Columbia PT nation: Levantine Empire of Palmyra
Factbooks coming soon!

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Wed May 09, 2012 9:18 am

I'd really love to see the old map come back; I think it's about the only one I liked (No offense to anyone who created any others), just because of how easy it was to add in one's own systems and how customizable it was.

On a side note, I suggest making a new thread and maybe getting this one locked so that there's not so much confusion over what's going on.

Holy Trek
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Trek » Wed May 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Northrop-Grumman wrote:I'd really love to see the old map come back; I think it's about the only one I liked (No offense to anyone who created any others), just because of how easy it was to add in one's own systems and how customizable it was.

On a side note, I suggest making a new thread and maybe getting this one locked so that there's not so much confusion over what's going on.

I agree
Founder/member of: Dual Monarchy of Holy Trek-Inuyashina, Intergalactic Federacy and member of ANTO
Pro: Obamacare, gun control, choice, gay rights, Israel, Church and State separation, Liberalism
Anti: Theocracy, Tea Party, Radical Republicans, Limbaugh, Palin, Cruz, Conservatism
My nation reflects certain of my OOC and RL beliefs, a few of which are listed. Don't like it? Don't engage me in debate.
Factbooks coming soon!

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed May 09, 2012 7:01 pm

North Mack wrote:

Since it doesn't look like he's online anymore... it's php code with a mysql backend. He may have used some bits and pieces of javascript / ajax in certain parts. Not entirely sure. It's messy.

I don't know PHP, but it looks like a lot of other scripting languages. 'course, if the PHP is interpreted, just compiling it will speed things up nicely, and from there, optimization is straightforward.

It's been a long time since I've played with squeal, but it's a simple language, and IIRC, there's lots of milage to be gained by tuning the databases themselves.

Holy Trek
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Trek » Sat May 26, 2012 11:35 am

North Mack wrote:

I don't know PHP, but it looks like a lot of other scripting languages. 'course, if the PHP is interpreted, just compiling it will speed things up nicely, and from there, optimization is straightforward.

It's been a long time since I've played with squeal, but it's a simple language, and IIRC, there's lots of milage to be gained by tuning the databases themselves.

All that computer mumbo-jumbo just escaped me. Translation, please?
Factbooks coming soon!

North Mack
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Mack » Sun May 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Holy Trek wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:I don't know PHP, but it looks like a lot of other scripting languages. 'course, if the PHP is interpreted, just compiling it will speed things up nicely, and from there, optimization is straightforward.

The page itself is written in PHP, which is a language that can do a whole lot of things before it spits out the HTML that you see on the page. It's what a large portion of websites you visit are coded in (such as this forum right now). Mindset may have also used javascript or ajax on the page, so that you can perform actions without having to reload the page. The information used on the map is in an MySQL database, which is just a whole bunch of data with no real style. The information is used by the page. Sometimes it is possible to increase the efficiency of a page simply by making the databases more efficient. If the PHP page can get more detailed and relevant information from the database, it doesn't have to do as much work itself so everything goes faster.
T H E S T E L L A R R E P U B L I C O F N O R T H M A C K
Forged in Fire, Reforged in Blood
[ DeviantArt | NS FT Discord | The Local Cluster | FT Advice and Assistance Thread | The State of the Galaxy ]

Of The Arch ilands
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Of The Arch ilands » Sun May 27, 2012 4:20 pm

North Mack wrote:
Holy Trek wrote:

The page itself is written in PHP, which is a language that can do a whole lot of things before it spits out the HTML that you see on the page. It's what a large portion of websites you visit are coded in (such as this forum right now). Mindset may have also used javascript or ajax on the page, so that you can perform actions without having to reload the page. The information used on the map is in an MySQL database, which is just a whole bunch of data with no real style. The information is used by the page. Sometimes it is possible to increase the efficiency of a page simply by making the databases more efficient. If the PHP page can get more detailed and relevant information from the database, it doesn't have to do as much work itself so everything goes faster.

and less load on the server.

Which is from what I gather is the biggest problem is that it puts the server under to much pressure, so making it more efficient would be the best way to at least getting the last version up and running on a server
Last edited by Of The Arch ilands on Sun May 27, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Confederacy of the Arch Islands Factbook|Confederacy of the arch Planets Factbook (FT)|Military Factbook (MT)|Arch's Random Species Generator (FT)

Xiscapia wrote:In Soviet Archland, OH SHIT FRANK IS BEHIND YOU!

18:47 Urarailgun In heaven the cooks are Archian, the engineers are Urarailian, the lovers are Delemontian, and the police are Britannian. In hell the cooks are Britannian, the engineers are Delemontian, the lovers are Archian, and the police are Urarailian

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun May 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Of The Arch ilands wrote:
North Mack wrote:

and less load on the server.

Which is from what I gather is the biggest problem is that it puts the server under to much pressure, so making it more efficient would be the best way to at least getting the last version up and running on a server

Yup.

And for Holy Trek: "squeal" in my comment is a derisive or silly name for SQL, or Standard Query Language, the languge used to control databases. Many programmers regard it as unnecessarily verbose.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents