NATION

PASSWORD

The NS Galaxy Map

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Wolfline
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfline » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Zachrastan wrote:Nope, it seriously doesen't work...

Ya, I noticed that as well when I clicked the link. :palm:

North Mack
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Mack » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Wolfline wrote:
Zachrastan wrote:Nope, it seriously doesen't work...

Ya, I noticed that as well when I clicked the link. :palm:

Like it's been said many times in this thread (if anyone bothered to read it) the original map no longer works. We're discussing the eventual return since we have the original creator working with us now to bring it back.
Last edited by North Mack on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T H E S T E L L A R R E P U B L I C O F N O R T H M A C K
Forged in Fire, Reforged in Blood
[ DeviantArt | NS FT Discord | The Local Cluster | FT Advice and Assistance Thread | The State of the Galaxy ]

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:53 am

This seems to be quite interesting... how can I donate and/or have a look of the product? :)

I think Galaxiki is fine with all the calculations done for you (unless I am mistaken), although I failed to find a star system with a binary star out in the orbit, is it possible?
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

North Mack
Ambassador

Postby North Mack » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:47 am

Tuthina wrote:This seems to be quite interesting... how can I donate and/or have a look of the product? :)

I think Galaxiki is fine with all the calculations done for you (unless I am mistaken), although I failed to find a star system with a binary star out in the orbit, is it possible?

Hm. I probably should have taken some pictures of the map when we had it up on the test server... :P Donation options may or may not be listed in the next week or two depending on how mindsets does playing with code and such. We will put information in here if we can't pull down enough to fund it on our own.
[ DeviantArt | NS FT Discord | The Local Cluster | FT Advice and Assistance Thread | The State of the Galaxy ]

Sskiss
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sskiss » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:32 am

This is indeed good news. I've always enjoyed that map and bringing it back would really be something to see.
"Eat or be Eaten"
"The first pain of life is to be driven from the creche to the harsh lands beyond.
The first joy of life is the crechemates you will meet there"
"Above the Isss' Raak is only the sky"
"Greenfood feeds redfood. Redfood feeds Sskiss"

"All is oneness/isness. All feed on death"
Sskiss Apothegms

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Tuthina wrote:I think Galaxiki is fine with all the calculations done for you (unless I am mistaken),

There seem to be some problems with its planetary temperature calculations. One appears to be simply a bug related to atmospheric composition, but I think there's something fundamentally off about them. Some planets of stars more or less sun-like are too hot. Everything else is calculated correctly, which is a big help.

Tuthina wrote:although I failed to find a star system with a binary star out in the orbit, is it possible?

Not in the present version. The guy (yeah, it's just one guy) who writes the code has promised a new version that will include that among other things, but it was supposed to be out by the beginning of the year.

Yeah, I have a few stars on Galaxiki. It's OK, but paying for systems is a substantial barrier to large interstellar nations. The user community is tiny, also. There's a sporadic attempt to organize a single FT RP session, but I haven't seen much progress on it. I was hoping to use Galaxiki for hosting an FT nation, but the NS Galaxy Map might be superior. Now, if we could just get the developers of those two to work together... :)
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

North Mack
Ambassador

Postby North Mack » Fri May 04, 2012 11:20 pm

I have yet to receive anything back from mindset about optimizing the code lately, so for now we'll assume that we'll need a high or unlimited CPU host. These run (on average) somewhere between $25 - $40 a month. Expect between $200 and $500 for a year of hosting. The question at this point is would we get enough donations to keep the site going.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for some way to determine this or not? I was thinking of a $500 kickstarter or something but I don't know if something not a game is against their TOS, I haven't really looked into it. There used to be a site that you could "pledge" to donate X amount without actually donating so people could see how much they could reasonably get, but I don't remember the url and can't seem to find it in a google search. So yeah. suggestions?

CoolBoyGcp
Minister

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby CoolBoyGcp » Fri May 04, 2012 11:25 pm

North Mack wrote:I have yet to receive anything back from mindset about optimizing the code lately, so for now we'll assume that we'll need a high or unlimited CPU host. These run (on average) somewhere between $25 - $40 a month. Expect between $200 and $500 for a year of hosting. The question at this point is would we get enough donations to keep the site going.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for some way to determine this or not? I was thinking of a $500 kickstarter or something but I don't know if something not a game is against their TOS, I haven't really looked into it. There used to be a site that you could "pledge" to donate X amount without actually donating so people could see how much they could reasonably get, but I don't remember the url and can't seem to find it in a google search. So yeah. suggestions?

Try kickstarter, it works, and you can do it for anything.

Also, if you do, get the word out.

But 200-500 bucks for hosting? That's expensive man!
It's My Birthday Today!!!
Average Life Expectancy: Infinite
Population: 1,247,948,000.00
Capital: George City
If you want a war with us, please do so, as we will crush you!
Proud co-owner of Blargoblarg's soul with Morndul
Proud owner of The Nuclear Fist's and the most annoying NSger, Wisconsin7's souls
Proud master of Silvadus, my loyal slave

North Mack
Ambassador

Postby North Mack » Fri May 04, 2012 11:34 pm

CoolBoyGcp wrote:But 200-500 bucks for hosting? That's expensive man!

Very. Mindset's map is SUPER server intensive. Very poorly optimized. His old host had unlimited most everything. But apparently it went out of business. And most decently priced servers nowadays have issue with you taking up over 50% of the CPU meant for dozens of hosts for significant periods of time... which mean we need highCPU hosting. Which is usually reserved for running scripts or doing large number crunching.

CoolBoyGcp
Minister

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby CoolBoyGcp » Fri May 04, 2012 11:46 pm

North Mack wrote:
CoolBoyGcp wrote:But 200-500 bucks for hosting? That's expensive man!

Very. Mindset's map is SUPER server intensive. Very poorly optimized. His old host had unlimited most everything. But apparently it went out of business. And most decently priced servers nowadays have issue with you taking up over 50% of the CPU meant for dozens of hosts for significant periods of time... which mean we need highCPU hosting. Which is usually reserved for running scripts or doing large number crunching.

Oh...

Well thank you for giving me the info about it. :)

But try Kickstarter, I would give you the money but...

I don't know your address or paypal.
:unsure:
It's My Birthday Today!!!
Average Life Expectancy: Infinite
Population: 1,247,948,000.00
Capital: George City
If you want a war with us, please do so, as we will crush you!
Proud co-owner of Blargoblarg's soul with Morndul
Proud owner of The Nuclear Fist's and the most annoying NSger, Wisconsin7's souls
Proud master of Silvadus, my loyal slave

North Mack
Ambassador

Postby North Mack » Sat May 05, 2012 12:18 am

After some investigation, I don't think kickstarter is going to work. For one, this would be barely skirting the edge of their acceptable project policy. For two, there's no way to restrict the project in any way. I don't want people from kickstarter going and seeing this project to host a random map for some random site they've never heard of.

So... yeah. other suggestions? I don't actually want to take money yet. I just want to see if we'd have enough interest to even consider it. I don't want to be taking peoples money for something that might never happen if we don't get enough. I guess, for now just post if you'd be willing to donate and how much?

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Sat May 05, 2012 12:23 am

Well, maybe we can try the most primitive way, known as posting the amount of money you would like to donate here. Also, I think kickstarter for a year's rent would be too high, maybe we can consider a month or three? It seems more reasonable for me.

I think I can donate, at most, USD $30, assuming PayPal is available.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Of The Arch ilands
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Of The Arch ilands » Sat May 05, 2012 1:17 am

North Mack wrote:After some investigation, I don't think kickstarter is going to work. For one, this would be barely skirting the edge of their acceptable project policy. For two, there's no way to restrict the project in any way. I don't want people from kickstarter going and seeing this project to host a random map for some random site they've never heard of.

So... yeah. other suggestions? I don't actually want to take money yet. I just want to see if we'd have enough interest to even consider it. I don't want to be taking peoples money for something that might never happen if we don't get enough. I guess, for now just post if you'd be willing to donate and how much?

I wish I new JavaScript :/ and PhP it would make life so much easier id happily take up the mantel. I think what should be done before donating is seeing if someone else has the necessary skills to optimize the code ad so on.
The Confederacy of the Arch Islands Factbook|Confederacy of the arch Planets Factbook (FT)|Military Factbook (MT)|Arch's Random Species Generator (FT)

Xiscapia wrote:In Soviet Archland, OH SHIT FRANK IS BEHIND YOU!

18:47 Urarailgun In heaven the cooks are Archian, the engineers are Urarailian, the lovers are Delemontian, and the police are Britannian. In hell the cooks are Britannian, the engineers are Delemontian, the lovers are Archian, and the police are Urarailian

North Mack
Ambassador

Postby North Mack » Sat May 05, 2012 11:59 am

Of The Arch ilands wrote:
North Mack wrote:After some investigation, I don't think kickstarter is going to work. For one, this would be barely skirting the edge of their acceptable project policy. For two, there's no way to restrict the project in any way. I don't want people from kickstarter going and seeing this project to host a random map for some random site they've never heard of.

I wish I new JavaScript :/ and PhP it would make life so much easier id happily take up the mantel. I think what should be done before donating is seeing if someone else has the necessary skills to optimize the code ad so on.

The code is so obfuscated though it's difficult to even know what section manages what part of the map. It wouldn't be optimizing so much as entirely redesigning. Which is why I was HOPING mindset could work on it, since he (obviously) already knows the code...

Of The Arch ilands
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Of The Arch ilands » Sat May 05, 2012 2:41 pm

North Mack wrote:
Of The Arch ilands wrote:

The code is so obfuscated though it's difficult to even know what section manages what part of the map. It wouldn't be optimizing so much as entirely redesigning. Which is why I was HOPING mindset could work on it, since he (obviously) already knows the code...

Despite lack of documentation it shouldn't be to hard for someone who knows there stuff to pick it up, or you could salvage parts of the code that you know works well in Mindsets and start over. Assuming he allows you to do that.
The Confederacy of the Arch Islands Factbook|Confederacy of the arch Planets Factbook (FT)|Military Factbook (MT)|Arch's Random Species Generator (FT)

18:47 Urarailgun In heaven the cooks are Archian, the engineers are Urarailian, the lovers are Delemontian, and the police are Britannian. In hell the cooks are Britannian, the engineers are Delemontian, the lovers are Archian, and the police are Urarailian

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Sat May 05, 2012 2:46 pm

I don't know too much about it, but would it be possible to cache the map in some way, so the caching server handles the traffic itself and only needs to make far less frequent requests to the CPU-intensive backend.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Thrashia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2004
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Thrashia » Sat May 05, 2012 4:32 pm

Much as I enjoy looking at the prettiness that is the Mindset map, the fees and such are what make me happy that I enjoy the regular 2-D map we've had since the beginning.
FT Factbook | Thrashian Maintenance Thread | Newbies Need to Read This | Thrashia IIwiki

"D-Damn you all...! All of you dogs whose souls are still bound to the Earth! Long live Neo Zeon!" - MSG: Unicorn

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Sat May 05, 2012 5:19 pm

I think I might create an FT nation just to use this...
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

Of The Arch ilands
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Of The Arch ilands » Sun May 06, 2012 2:38 am

Thrashia wrote:Much as I enjoy looking at the prettiness that is the Mindset map, the fees and such are what make me happy that I enjoy the regular 2-D map we've had since the beginning.

Aye but the 2-D regular map just doesn't have the scope and the scale like mindsets map did :/

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Sun May 06, 2012 2:47 am

The only thing this map had over the static map is ease of editing and ability to create systems maps, which is something you could do yourself if you sat down with mspaint for a couple hours.

Yeah it was shiny, but let's be honest, it didn't provide anything all that different than what we already have.

If they get it working (which I'm not even sure if mindset is still talking to mack or not), then that's good news but if they don't we're not out anything.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

Of The Arch ilands
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Of The Arch ilands » Sun May 06, 2012 4:09 am

Vocenae wrote:The only thing this map had over the static map is ease of editing and ability to create systems maps, which is something you could do yourself if you sat down with mspaint for a couple hours.

Yeah it was shiny, but let's be honest, it didn't provide anything all that different than what we already have.

If they get it working (which I'm not even sure if mindset is still talking to mack or not), then that's good news but if they don't we're not out anything.

This is very true, we dont stand to loose anything by trying to get it back up. But that's also not a reason to not try.

The Mindset Reborn
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Mindset Reborn » Tue May 08, 2012 6:17 pm

Sorry guys, I've been very busy at the tail end crunch time of a project. It's not done yet, but it should be wrapping up in a week or so, and then I really honestly actually can take a look at the source code to see what I can do. I can offer no promises in terms of timescale, but it's something I will get around to eventually, especially since people seem interested.

North Mack
Ambassador

Postby North Mack » Tue May 08, 2012 6:55 pm

The Mindset Reborn wrote:Sorry guys, I've been very busy at the tail end crunch time of a project. It's not done yet, but it should be wrapping up in a week or so, and then I really honestly actually can take a look at the source code to see what I can do. I can offer no promises in terms of timescale, but it's something I will get around to eventually, especially since people seem interested.

:­D

maybe try not to get deleted for trolling this time <_<
Last edited by North Mack on Tue May 08, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dansbruck
Lobbyist

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dansbruck » Tue May 08, 2012 7:00 pm

I think the link is broken.
The Free State of Dansbruck
Der Freistaat Danzbrücken
Wolne Państwo Gdańsmost
L'Etat Libre de Dantzebruck

Holy Trek
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Trek » Tue May 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Dansbruck wrote:I think the link is broken.

It is. I tried to get into it, and got an error message
ALSO RP AS: Federate Cherokee State, New Aztlan
Founder/member of: Dual Monarchy of Holy Trek-Inuyashina, Intergalactic Federacy and member of ANTO
Type VII, Tier I Civilization
Pro: Obamacare, gun control, choice, gay rights, Israel, Church and State separation, Liberalism
Anti: Theocracy, Tea Party, Radical Republicans, Limbaugh, Palin, Cruz, Conservatism
My nation reflects certain of my OOC and RL beliefs, a few of which are listed. Don't like it? Don't engage me in debate.
MT nation: Imperial Columbia PT nation: Levantine Empire of Palmyra
Factbooks coming soon!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents