NATION

PASSWORD

Rise of the Cold War (MT/v2.0/OOC/Open)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Acerbic
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Acerbic » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Acerbic has metal and is selling it to Communists. They also have guns and are selling those to whoever buys. They are bad at checking their client's identity before shipment.

Tekrepolis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekrepolis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Acerbic wrote:Acerbic has metal and is selling it to Communists. They also have guns and are selling those to whoever buys. They are bad at checking their client's identity before shipment.

Hmmm, maybe some of my men can get some metal... after all, we could make more of our own weapons, maybe even a nuclear bomb...
Acerbic, how bad are your people at checking identities? :twisted:
The IC opinions of the Coptic Republic are NOT shared by me. If you want to see how I really think, check out my alt Ruridova.
Meowfoundland wrote:It's all about jobs, obviously. Jobs jobs jobs.

Gauthier wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
You say that enough times and Steve Jobs is going to come back.

But only if you hold an iPad in a darkened room while saying that.

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Tekrepolis wrote:
Lolzieristan wrote:
The reason for this is, the Lolzis were Muslim during the Dark Ages, and lacked the paranoid Inquisition of the West. Thus, we were a center for scientific study in the late Middle Ages, and (since no one has claimed this yet) the site for the invention of both gunpowder and, on a completely unrelated note, blood transfusions.

aah, very realistic. However, since the Chinese invented gunpowder(and fireworks and chopsticks and kites), maybe Xia Sun Nam should get the honor of giving Ruridova the weapon which it used to conquer the world.. including Xia Sun Nam.

Well, the muslims were technologically advanced, going as far as to invent fireproof materials they'd give to their soldiers, who would have torches attached so as to allow them to charge the enemy and route them without worry. The USAP avoided the problem of the Dark Ages due to a major reasons of having not being founded yet, and the Christian population was very fond of the idea of studying God's creations in order to be closer to him, thus, they were relatively scientific. The USAP also had a large Islamic and Zoroastarian population, so it did help with proggresive science, going as far as to have some really progressive health ideas, (I.E. Using whole lemons to counter scurvy, ligature, concrete, etc). Some devices caused by the science here, Dragon Fire (Greek Fire as it was known in OTL). Due to being isolated, a good number of the USAP's inventions had effects only within their borders. For example of this, Heron of Groei had invented steam power in 112 A.D. using an aeolipile--a small, steam-powered turbine that propelled itself by shooting steam out of one or more orifices, effectively beating most of the world to the invention of steam power; or how about Aristarchus of Mount Celestia, who proved the heliocentric model of the solar system, thus creating a calander that was accurate entirely, in addition to helping astronomy massively in charting the stars, all in the third century B.C.E.

OoC: Thank goodness for the History Channel.
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Bellemiatic
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bellemiatic » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:04 am

OoC: I thought this is somewhere about late 20th century to early 21st century...

By the way, Bellemia has a relatively small army due to the population, so they concentrate on the quality of the army.

Nuke production, importing, exporting, re-exporting and utilizing is banned all over Bellemia as Bellemians are pacifists. This can be traced back to the founding of the Grand Duchy of Bellemiatic, with a millennium long civil war since the first city was founded. They are all pure Romans, probably from the South of the Peninsular of Italia.

On the other hand, Bellemians also don't have the interest of space colonizing unless the world is collapsing just like now, so they have been researching on building space stations in space for a decade or two, but still in a stage of theory.

I don't want Bellemia in any side of the war, so I would keep in neutral until someone trespasses my territory.

Any, will there be a really gigantic warfare which takes part in every place in the world?

P.S.: I am a follower of Elite Society, Minority's Supreme Government and the Legislation Department is always filled with a bunch of scholars...

Acerbic
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Acerbic » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:14 am

Tekrepolis wrote:
Acerbic wrote:Acerbic has metal and is selling it to Communists. They also have guns and are selling those to whoever buys. They are bad at checking their client's identity before shipment.

Hmmm, maybe some of my men can get some metal... after all, we could make more of our own weapons, maybe even a nuclear bomb...

Well, they would likely mistake a leaf-blower for a flamethrower and arrest the user. Even if they figured out it was a leaf-blower, they would still arrest the user.
Last edited by Acerbic on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Salvarity
Senator

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Salvarity » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:55 am

Salvarity is a well off. Minor Nation that could become Major. We have a Nuclear Program and a Space Program that is both going good. So you'll learn the name soon in the RP
Praetor of the Empire of Mare Nostrum
World Assembly Delegate of the Empire of Mare Nostrum

King of the British Isles
Prime Minister of the British Isles
Defense Minister of the British Isles
Home Minister of the British Isles
Culture Minister of the British Isles
MP of Parliament for Northern Ireland
Co-Founder of the SDLP in the British Isles
Admiral of the Royal British Isles Navy
Marquess of Winchester

Minister of the Exterior in the Land of Kings and Emperors
Minister of the Interior in the Land of Kings and Emperors
Senator in the Imperial Senate
Field Marshal Lieutenant of the Imperial Army of the Land of Kings and Emperors
Baron of Nassau

Lance Corporal in the North Pacific Army

Merryman in the United Defenders League

Tekrepolis
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekrepolis » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:26 am

Acerbic wrote:
Tekrepolis wrote:

Well, they would likely mistake a leaf-blower for a flamethrower and arrest the user. Even if they figured out it was a leaf-blower, they would still arrest the user.

Hmmmm.... I suppose we could make a few Coptic crosses, skyscrapers, and military armadas with that.
The IC opinions of the Coptic Republic are NOT shared by me. If you want to see how I really think, check out my alt Ruridova.
Meowfoundland wrote:It's all about jobs, obviously. Jobs jobs jobs.

Gauthier wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
You say that enough times and Steve Jobs is going to come back.

But only if you hold an iPad in a darkened room while saying that.

Ruridova
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruridova » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:28 am

Altruistic Paladins wrote:
Tekrepolis wrote:
aah, very realistic. However, since the Chinese invented gunpowder(and fireworks and chopsticks and kites), maybe Xia Sun Nam should get the honor of giving Ruridova the weapon which it used to conquer the world.. including Xia Sun Nam.

Well, the muslims were technologically advanced, going as far as to invent fireproof materials they'd give to their soldiers, who would have torches attached so as to allow them to charge the enemy and route them without worry. The USAP avoided the problem of the Dark Ages due to a major reasons of having not being founded yet, and the Christian population was very fond of the idea of studying God's creations in order to be closer to him, thus, they were relatively scientific. The USAP also had a large Islamic and Zoroastarian population, so it did help with proggresive science, going as far as to have some really progressive health ideas, (I.E. Using whole lemons to counter scurvy, ligature, concrete, etc). Some devices caused by the science here, Dragon Fire (Greek Fire as it was known in OTL). Due to being isolated, a good number of the USAP's inventions had effects only within their borders. For example of this, Heron of Groei had invented steam power in 112 A.D. using an aeolipile--a small, steam-powered turbine that propelled itself by shooting steam out of one or more orifices, effectively beating most of the world to the invention of steam power; or how about Aristarchus of Mount Celestia, who proved the heliocentric model of the solar system, thus creating a calander that was accurate entirely, in addition to helping astronomy massively in charting the stars, all in the third century B.C.E.

Soooo, essentially you're claiming that you invented..... practically everything long before anyone outside AP even took the idea seriously? That feels a little unfair. :(
Республіка Рюрідова - Королівство Вілкія
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly, whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me."
- the Gospel of Matthew, 25:35-40

Armedland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Armedland » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:12 am

Armedland invented the napkin and the hacky sack!
:bow:
Last edited by Armedland on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
reagan 2010
"we should go back in time and impeach obama"
-me

Djevka
Envoy

Founded: Jul 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Djevka » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:39 am

Armedland wrote:Armedland invented the napkin and the hacky sack!
:bow:

And Djevka has some of the best seafood fishing spots in the world. Just wanted to throw that one out there.

Djevka
Envoy

Founded: Jul 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Djevka » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:56 am

Altruistic Paladins wrote:We approve, as the USAP's actions you described where consistent with my characterization of them. They promote civil rights, and while they wouldn't mind taking away property rights, they would most certainly take notice of the destruction of LGBT rights and promoting the spread of psuedo-science, which would be one of fatal results in this case. We'd also mind the implied destruction of democracy. You could expect the more established LGBT community, news organizations (the news groups here are very interventionist, and are not afraid to point out wrong when they see it and take action against it), and human rights groups of the USAP to take notice and inform the USAP and try to inform the world of what's going on there, while also promoting activism against moves taken by them. You could also expect the always well-intentioned and rebellious insane asylum of the USAPCIA to work in the shadows there promoting peaceful protests against those measures.

IC: Well, USAP, I know my predecessors allowed for such debauchery to fill the streets of Djevka, but I won't give rights to these "people" who mock human nature and bring about a devastating disease upon the population! We have facts! We have science! And we have dignity! If you had half a brain, you'd know where we're coming from!

OOC: This is the author speaking. I just want to clarify that these are not my views on the subject of LGBT rights. I'm not trying to spark an argument over social issues, I'm just saying my character is a ruthless dictator who shows no compassion, and therefore says things that might be inflammatory. I, the author, am very supportive of LGBT rights. Equal rights for everyone! :)
Now on with the show.

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Ruridova wrote:

Soooo, essentially you're claiming that you invented..... practically everything long before anyone outside AP even took the idea seriously? That feels a little unfair. :(

I must mention one detail then. A good number of these things were forgotten in the origional time-line. The fire-proof materials were forgotten, and while in this time-line they got picked up by firefighters, they still weren't available for running up to enemies while on fire, thus their origional purpose was mute, and the USAP didn't have any enemies for a long time, thus the "running up to enemies while on fire tactic" was forgotten alongside the "ninjas can't catch you when you are on fire" plan (brownie points to the person who gets the reference). The recipe for the Roman's concrete was forgotten, and we still don't know what it was. While it helped for some period in this timeline, it was eventually forgotten and then rediscovered. The Byzantine flame-thrower was forgotten after it's fall to the Ottoman empire, and in this timeline, they were seen as brutal by the newly formed USAP, and thus were relegated to clear-burning. The ligature was forgotten in the origional time-line not due to forgetfulness, but due to something odd. The Islamics, despite having taken Galen's medicine to heart, but for some reason I don't know about, made ligature illegal. In this timeline, it was something known only in a few places, and thus was not known by the majority of people for a while. We actually forgot about having a heliocentric idea of the universe in the worst of places and times known as Dark Ages Europe. I'll probably let this one not be forgotten, as this would lend some credence to the USAP having been first to space as being due to having learned more before-hand. The cure and prevention of scurvy was lemons, but it was forgotten due to incompetance on the part of the British Empire, who had discovered and then forgot the cure, as they thought all citrus is the same, and replaced it with lime, which wasn't effective at it, while also allowing the few lemons they used to be juiced, thus dampening the prevention and healing affects. In this timeline, I'll let that slide, as we didn't do much oceanic travel, so the cure doesn't have much affect. The aeolipile had the reason of there being no applications for it at the time, it being sort of like inventing the internet when there are no computers to hook them up to. In this timeline, I'll let it not be forgotten, but misused instead as a decoration, and not even inventing the steam engine in this timeline due to us not having coal, thus it was useless in the USAP, though whoever invented it in a coal-rich nation would have quite the advantage when the days of railroads and bluegrass music come along. You have got to remember that the person who brought ligature into modern medicine is just as much an inventor as the man who made it in the first place, so I'll just assume this universe labels who invented it in the USAP and who invented elsewhere, as they both came up with it on their own, sort of like how we just list Edison and the Lumierre brothers as the inventor of the film as a compromise so people don't argue about it.
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Legionica
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Legionica » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Been gone for the weekend. Update, s'il vous plaît?

The Church of Unity
Spokesperson

Founded: May 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Unity » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Ruridova wrote:
The Church of Unity wrote:
IC: That's what you think! We communists will reach moon first! With greater manpower (and thus greater part production speed), no capitalist nation can outpace communist production! Soon, the moon will have the flag of Unity waving, er, standing proudly as you capitalists watch in awe at our superiority!

OOC: I am not actually like this, this is more of an IC boast that a normal Unitarian would say. The people of The Church of Unity DO enjoy making other countries feel bad, despite the fact that we are nowhere near extraterrestrial colonization capabilities. No bad OOC intentions here. :)

(quote)Tis okay. BTW, I have my suspicions those crazy Tekrepolians are making nukes. How do I know this? I am Tekrepolis. So unless we want the crazy isolationist Coptic theocracy running around with nukes, a temporary alliance might be in order. Very temporary.[/quote)

If Tekrepolis is willing to do so, we will enter a temporary alliance with them. Until the cold war cools back down.
Last edited by The Church of Unity on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey people, don't bully little Austrum. He's me.
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=austrum

Yootwopia wrote:
Folder Land wrote:But why do religious conservatives have more power in the States but not so much power in the UK that still has a state church?

Because our country is better than yours.

Salvarity
Senator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Salvarity » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Salvarian Tests are ready. We are gonna be the first to get to the moon. In the Cold War v1 guess what we did. While the rest of the world was bitch slapping each other. Salvarity built up it's programs. So we have better weapons than most other Nation.Our People are doing better than Most. Also we are *researching* nukes already and have launched satellites already.

* Research means almost developed them. Just need a testing ground
Praetor of the Empire of Mare Nostrum
World Assembly Delegate of the Empire of Mare Nostrum

King of the British Isles
Prime Minister of the British Isles
Defense Minister of the British Isles
Home Minister of the British Isles
Culture Minister of the British Isles
MP of Parliament for Northern Ireland
Co-Founder of the SDLP in the British Isles
Admiral of the Royal British Isles Navy
Marquess of Winchester

Minister of the Exterior in the Land of Kings and Emperors
Minister of the Interior in the Land of Kings and Emperors
Senator in the Imperial Senate
Field Marshal Lieutenant of the Imperial Army of the Land of Kings and Emperors
Baron of Nassau

Lance Corporal in the North Pacific Army

Merryman in the United Defenders League

Ruridova
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruridova » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:37 am

The Church of Unity wrote:
Ruridova wrote:

(quote)Tis okay. BTW, I have my suspicions those crazy Tekrepolians are making nukes. How do I know this? I am Tekrepolis. So unless we want the crazy isolationist Coptic theocracy running around with nukes, a temporary alliance might be in order. Very temporary.[/quote)

If Tekrepolis is willing to do so, we will enter a temporary alliance with them. Until the cold war cools back down.

Eeeh, not so much with Tekrepolis, more like against Tekrepolis. Tekrepolis is very xenophobic and isolationist.
Республіка Рюрідова - Королівство Вілкія
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly, whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me."
- the Gospel of Matthew, 25:35-40

Bellemiatic
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bellemiatic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:43 am

Hmm...

Bellemia is a mountainous nation, so I can say the Bellemians are the inventors of many climbing tools and cliff forts?

I guess Bellemia will have a more pacifism stance than in CW1, and, can somebody make a book-like thread to summarize CW1?
Last edited by Bellemiatic on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Armedland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Armedland » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:32 am

Armedland finds the space race a stupid display of "Anything you can do I can do better" between two economic forms. While others build space rockets, we use the money we would have spent on space building up an army and setting up a long-range missle program as well as a better air force.
reagan 2010
-me

Cresilia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresilia » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 am

Trolololistan wrote:
Space trolling is best trolling.

Note to self: Study how combat in space would work, and see if the USAP Air Force could greet them there with some of those should the (insane) Aleksian government try to flip our flag, create a bunch of fake origional landing sites so they won't be able to defile the origional, or have one of our astronauts punch out their cosmonaut for doing that, whichever would create a better mental image.

Combat in space works really poorly in MT ;)
The Republic of Cresilia

Norstal wrote:NORTH KOREAN JUCHE

Cows? You no have cows. You get picture of Glorious Leader to eat instead.

Cresilia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresilia » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:15 am

Salvarity wrote:Salvarity is a well off. Minor Nation that could become Major. We have a Nuclear Program and a Space Program that is both going good. So you'll learn the name soon in the RP

I don't think you are allowed a nuclear program.
The Republic of Cresilia

Cresilia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresilia » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:16 am

Sorry for my absence, been busy with RL.

So I see that space is a hot topic.

Cresilia will surely join the space race :)

And I hereby appoint Ruridova and Lolzieristan to be co-mods in my absences, to accept people and such.
Last edited by Cresilia on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Republic of Cresilia

Cresilia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresilia » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:25 am

Allright, front post is updated, you see your name on the BIG list, then go ahead and start RPing.

If your name is under pending, TG me and I will explain why.
The Republic of Cresilia

Armedland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Armedland » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:22 am

Where do we RP?
reagan 2010
-me

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Cresilia wrote:
Note to self: Study how combat in space would work, and see if the USAP Air Force could greet them there with some of those should the (insane) Aleksian government try to flip our flag, create a bunch of fake origional landing sites so they won't be able to defile the origional, or have one of our astronauts punch out their cosmonaut for doing that, whichever would create a better mental image.

That was somewhat sarcastic, but I have read about the US Air Force studying the idea so as to defend satellites in wars with developed nations. I'll have to read it again and see if they've made any progress, but I doubt they made major progress, though I'd probably go with the other two options should they actually RP it that way, in which case the mental image of an astronaut punching out a cosmonaut would be pretty hilarious.
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,

Lolzieristan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lolzieristan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Cresilia wrote:

That was somewhat sarcastic, but I have read about the US Air Force studying the idea so as to defend satellites in wars with developed nations. I'll have to read it again and see if they've made any progress, but I doubt they made major progress, though I'd probably go with the other two options should they actually RP it that way, in which case the mental image of an astronaut punching out a cosmonaut would be pretty hilarious.

I know, from the first time I saw that Apollo 18 trailer, I was wondering how the astronauts and cosmonauts would have gotten along, had they actually both been alive at the time. I mean, would they just be like, "Wow, this is awkward...sup?"
Or would one of them be all like, "Yo, Ivan, this is 'Merica's!" and pull a knife. Knife-fighting on the Moon...that's going to be a fun image to have for the rest of the day.
Sometimes I'm reading through military threads here, and I stop and think "What the hell is wrong with all of us?" But then I get on Facebook, and realize I'd rather be insane than an idiot.
04/17/13: Got my wish, it seems, in terms of major depressive disorder. I'm sorry to everyone for any inactivity, it's...well, hard.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents