NATION

PASSWORD

The Soft Rapping Upon the Door (Semi-open FT, Reintro)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The Soft Rapping Upon the Door (Semi-open FT, Reintro)

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:31 pm

A small belch of cosmic Hawking radiation was, at first, the only indication that something was out of the ordinary. A great golden leviathan deviated from its course to investigate. Its single, massive engine burned white-hot as it accelerated on an intercept vector. A single, hollow, copper-colored cylinder formed its core with four rounded, gold-colored, ovular “petals” stretching from its aft near the engine to beyond the cylinder's opening. Upon closer inspection, these gargantuan superstructures were dotted by comparatively tiny imperfections several meters across. The entire beast stretched nearly four-thousand meters from its tip to its tail, and yet moved with an agile grace.

The great vessel rapidly closed the distance with the anomaly and filled space with torrents of high-powered radiation. Suddenly, it seemed to jerk as if struck by some bolt of static. It altered its vector at an alarming rate, and fired its torch drive in a hard acceleration. More focused bursts of radiation filled a narrow cone along the golden vessel's trajectory, and revealed its quarry – a small, twenty-meter cylinder moving along briskly but unpowered at a decent fraction of light speed. The giant seemed to blossom; its superstructure “petals” retracted and angled themselves perpendicular to the copper stalk. Heat and energy surged through the vessel, and the night was split by a lance of highly charged particles. Instantly, the small cylinder was vaporized without so much as an explosion.

The leviathan shuddered and convulsed as its body buckled and warped, as if stabbed by some unseen dagger. Metallic skin peeled back like the outer covering of some exotic, overripe fruit. Atmosphere belched from the dying ship, and finally it was consumed in an impossibly brief blue-white flash. Fifteen grey-black shapes raced through the rapidly expanding clouds of debris and plasma on jets of fusion fire, each vessel just under two kilometers at their longest point and shaped similarly to the blade of an ancient Phillips head screw drive. They were attended by about a dozen far smaller craft, ranging from a few hundred meters long, in close formation around each parent. The wolf pack of newcomer vessels spread their formation outwards as they cleared the debris field and angled on a new vector.

Directly towards the small blue-green rocky world in orbit of one of the twin stars of the Coruc-Tel system, and the bastion of mysterious aliens that had claimed it.

The Judge of Souls does not come with fiery wrath, or righteous vindication. He does not arrive to the sound of horns or the beating of drums. When Koshiir-Ra comes to pass judgment, he will knock politely on your door and be invited in as an honored guest.
-Somtaaw Mekiz uln-Sigga the Prophet, c. 1289 BCA

Kasaar-Ro, Khontala Mountain Range
142 kilometers north of Ejiira – Somtaaw Holy City
Kush, Feazanthia System, Hiiglawa Galaxy
12 Weeks Prior

A soft chime sounded, followed by the melodic voice of the house synthetic intelligence.

“Arriving: Somtaaw-sa Kelen uln-Jalaat, Kiith-sa of the Somtaaw, Warder of the Shimmering Path, Lord of the Western Ranges.”

Silas stood and smoothed his clothing before nodding to the hidden camera to allow admittance. The Somtaaw Kiith-sa was a physically impressive man even without military prostheses; standing nearly 1.8 meters he towered over nearly anyone who had not replaced their body with a Milspec-issue one. His skin was a deep tan and his body layered with muscle that spoke of long periods spent under the rigors of high-acceleration space travel. Dark-blue, almond-shaped eyes examined Silas with a harsh twinkle and a cold intelligence behind them.

“My Kiith-sa,” spoke Silas as he bowed low and held his hands outward in the customary salute, his voice deep and twinged with the after-voice of a synthetic vocal cord, “it is an honor and a privilege to accept you into my home. How may I serve you this day?”

Kelen uln-Jalaat stepped forward and spoke gruffly.

“You may serve me, Phia...” his face and tone softened, “with a hug for your big brother!” The Kiith-sa pulled Somtaaw Silas uln-Jalaat, Phia of the Somtaaw defense forces, into a tight embrace with a throaty laugh and a series of heavy-handed slaps on the back. “Ah, it has been to long, eerachal-ulnpir. Where is Miiram? Huh? Miiram!” He released the chuckling Silas and embraced the wispy form of Somtaaw Miiram woral-Silas, cupping her heart-shaped face between his hands and kissing her mahogany cheeks. “Silas, you have any of the '87 left?”

“What, the Tilak vintage?” inquired Silas as he slipped an arm back around his wife.

“Aye!” clapped the Kiith-sa. “The journey from the capitol has left me parched.”

“All five minutes of it, eh?” quipped the younger brother before dodging a playful swipe from his elder.

“Wrong capitol, my sarcastic sibling. I just came from Tiir. You should really connect to your link more often.”

Silas' jovial expression sobered. “The Daiamid isn't scheduled to meet again until...Kelen, what's happened? Why have you come all the way out here?”

Kelen Somtaaw-sa shifted his expression to match his brother's as he shook his head slowly. “Yes, you really do need to connect to your link more often, even when on holiday, my brother. Miiram, my dear, be so good as to get that wine. Your husband and I need to talk about a great many things, I'm afraid.”

Silas looked over the balcony as he delicately sipped the ruby liquid in his tumbler. The wine burned his throat satisfyingly on its way down. Twilight was fast approaching, and the last gasps of sunlight cast an amber hue over the mountain villa. Cool, dry air began whipping down from the peaks, and the brothers were only spared its bone-chilling fingers by the taught plastic awning that covered the balcony.

“So we're actually going to do it, then,” said Silas gravely as he gazed out at the view. “To think, after all this time...”

“We didn't have much of a choice, my brother,” said the Kiith-sa, wrapping an arm protectively around the phia in a gesture of genuine familial affection. He took a deep swallow of his own glass before continuing. “You've seen the reports.”

“I know, Kelen. I know,” sighed Silas. “Coruc-Tel must not fall,”

“Not into the hands of the barbarians, it cannot. If the Star Empire and this new 'Coalition' continue much longer, the Kisovuy will be no match for them. And while the Kisovuy may not be much of a threat to us...”

“Any one of them could, potentially, breach the facility and make use of it.”

“And we cannot simply destroy the facility. You knew a second expedition would have to be launched, little brother. You really should use your link more often.”

One of the moons was already high in the sky, and the other was just beginning to appear in the west. Their combined moonlight danced and reflected off deposits of gemstones and precious metals. The rusty stone of the gorge below appeared as a blood-red starscape from this vantage point.

“As did the Three march across the twinkling path of creation undaunted...” began the younger.

“...so too must we bear the hardships of our journey with head unbowed,” finished the older. He then sighed. “You recall the rumors of the Sobani engaging an unidentified vessel in the Gamma quadrant?”

Silas chuckled. “How could I forget? I had half my staff and two synths poring over hearsay and supposition for almost six months!”

“They're true, and it's worse than we feared. They apparently put up quite a fight. The Sobani field officers acted stupidly, yes, but still...our probes are receiving reports of vessels of similar design operating far too close for comfort. Of course, with the Kisovuy still occupying the system-”

“I've been studying military strategy and tactics all my life, Kelen. I didn't pay for this house with my gardening skills, after all.”

This elicited a sharp laugh from the older brother. He then shook his head sadly. “You really should use your link more often, even on vacation,” he slipped his hand into his breast pocket. “I've been instructed to inform you that you have been activated, little brother.”

Silas took a sharp inhale of breath and stiffened. “You cannot be serious.”

“It's worse than you think. Someone put your name in for Phia-sa.”

“WHAT!?” Silas wheeled on the older man. “You CAN'T be serious...”

“I told them that's how you would act. It's mostly a political appointment, I'm sorry to say.” Kelen waved his hand at the incredulous look being shot his way. “Oh, I didn't mean it like that. No one thinks you don't have the capability appropriate to the station, it's just that they wanted a Somtaaw. You just happen to have the added bonus-”

“-of being the brother of the Kiith-sa. Sands swallow you, Kelen, if you voted for this expedition because of my career-”

“I voted,” snapped Kelen as he wheeled and met his brother's stare. “Because it is the right thing to do. The Reformists want a Somtaaw because they think we'll be a calming influence on the Sobani. The Sobani want a Somtaaw because they think we'll be able to motivate the Foundationists. The Foundationists want a Somtaaw because they think we'll reign in the Reformists' ambitions. They all want someone close to me to ensure an uninterrupted supply chain...and I want you because I know you're the right man for the job.”

Silas simply looked at his brother – his Kiith-sa – stupidly for a few moments before remembering just who he was.

“I...will not let you down, my Kiith-sa.”

“Good!” said Kelen with a clap of his hands. “Because if you do I'll kill you and take this house. Now, I could use another drink.”
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:31 pm

The assault group of cross-profiled warships shot lances of invisible energy through the vast nothingness of the void. Hundreds of thousands of kilometers distant, two more golden leviathans split apart and incinerated. More of the vast warships, seeming to appear from nowhere, converged upon the interlopers from all directions. White-hot surges of charged particles cris-crossed with beams of coherent radiation; the smaller warships which suffered hits seemed to be enveloped by a pitch-black bubble as their radiators burned ever brighter with each exchange of fire, the golden giants which suffered hits split open and were destroyed. Swarms of tiny attack craft spat from the copper cylinders of the larger vessels, and were met with an answering volley of missiles from their foes.

The attacking warships closed in on the world, and began redirecting their missiles to great metallic spheres hovering in its orbit. The eternal night was once again punctuated with a series of nuclear fireballs as weapons found their targets. Their objective seemingly completed, the fifteen warships attempted to break off and disengage, but suddenly found every vector covered by one of the golden vessels.

The electromagnetic spectrum was filled with jeers and angry cries as the giants moved in for the kill.

Silas ignored the tickle at the base of his skull. His consciousness was awash with terabytes of strategic, tactical, and logistics data as it was. They spun and whirled around him as great pages of text in his mind's eye, and it was all he could to do keep from being overwhelmed. Whoever was trying to link him could wait.

Again the tickle came, more insistent this time. He instructed his personal shuttle's synthetic intelligence to answer the link request for him with a subtle mental command, but the tickle continued to nag him. With a curse to an apparently insolent system, he finally acquiesced to whomever was trying to access his higher brain functions.

What?!” shouted Silas over the mental link. A pit instantly formed in the bottom of his stomach.

“No doubt I'm interrupting something horrendously strategic and fascinating,” quipped the smirking, disembodied head of Somtaaw-sa Kelen uln-Jalaat in Silas' mind's eye.

“Force allocations,” growled Silas as he brought the document files to his mind's forefront again. “This was hard enough when I was just dealing with our fleet and army. At any moment I have three different force commanders altering their materiel estimates, or adjusting their asset allocations...it's a madhouse, Kelen. We're still just planning one operation, Tester preserve us!”

“That's just what I've come to talk to you about, Silas,” said Kelen, the smile on his face withering. “The Daiamid was...well, they have concerns about your strategy for retaking Coruc-Tel."

Silas closed his eyes and sighed before putting the documents aside and bringing his brother's avatar fully into the forefront of his consciousness.

"Something tells me you're about to make my day a lot harder. I was under the impression this was my command, Kelen. Not the Daiamid's. The Expeditionary Force was to be an independent political body, just like the last one."

"It is, it is," said the Kiith-sa reassuringly. "But...well...there are some political considerations to take into account as well..."

"Kelen, you're my brother and my Kiith-sa, and you have my respect and my love...but any clue as to when you will get to the point?"

The floating head of Kelen chuckled heartily. "Straight to the meat of the matter. You are indeed a military man, my brother,"

"And you are indeed a politician, but I try not to hold that against you," said Silas with a smile.

"The Daiamid believes you have made an...error in judgment in not heeding the Paktu request for first deployment, and would like you to reconsider.”

Silas' eyes narrowed dangerously. “And what do you think?”

“Silas, please,” pleaded Kelen. “The Daiamid is making this recommendation. The Paktu are able tacticians and combat officers-”

“Unacceptable, Kelen. This is utterly unacceptable. The Paktu are schemers and opportunists! They will be more concerned with scanning for salvage than ensuring the ultimate success of the mission! You know this!”

“Silas...if they concern themselves with salvage, what matter is that to the plan? They will still be able to carry out their mission objectives...” Kelen's face appeared increasingly distressed as his brother's temper grew.

“If the Paktu had bothered to match even Manaan's or our own commitments in warships, I would be inclined to say yes. They have not, I'm inclined to say no. A single combat group, Kelen! Five sand-cursed ships!And don't seek to feed me any more lines about how they have more homeships in our fleet than any other. The first stage of the operation is the most critical, Kelen. If the Paktu were entrusted with it and lost even a single War Sailer...” Silas trailed off, his hand rubbing his avatar's temple in an unconscious gesture that spoke volumes to Kelen about his younger brother's stress. “Maybe if our reinforcement allotment from home weren't so low, but as it is I cannot afford to let the Paktu break up their battle group. No, if I let them do that, I would be forced to have nearly three fourths of my distributed order of battle be Paktu ships. Tester help me, that may be what they want, scheming little...no. It will be the Sobani in the first wave. My decision is final, tell the Paktu they will be deploying in the second wave like everyone else; and you may tell your precious Daiamid that if they wanted to dictate military policy, they should have gotten their stars like the rest of us!”
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:34 pm

“New login,” said the voice of the Somtaaw-sa Miidnal uln-Estalaan. “Phia-sa Somtaaw Silas uln-Jalaat; Force Commander, Bezakpartlawa theater; Commanding Officer, Kiith Federation Expeditionary Force.”

Silas' avatar wavered into existence as if appearing out of a thick fog. He'd always tailored his avatar's appearance to show him in a military-issue synthetic body, but still clad in a formal uniform typically reserved for a soldier's organic body. He wore the tall, skinny, triangular headpiece indicative of his station with a section on the right side cut away to make way for the traditional Somtaaw mohawk that adorned one side of his otherwise bald scalp. The red cloth and gold embroidery of his tight-cut tunic and pants emphasized the golden “beastslayer” sigil of Kiith Somtaaw, the stylized blade stretching down from the ancestral family crest to pierce the unearthly entity that seemed to reach up towards it. His avatar was an imposing figure, his stature towered over those who had elected for more “organic” personas, and his face bore an expression of cold and collected calm that spoke volumes to even those who had matched his size.

The Miidnal spoke again. “New login. “Phia Somtaaw Kansbar Assim uln-Gaszi; Commanding Officer, Somtaaw Expeditionary Fleet,” a taller, slender man bearing a physique that spoke of an upbringing on one of the Somtaaw low-gravity mining colonies materialized behind and to the right of Silas' avatar. To his left appeared the figure of a young woman, olive-skinned and clad in golden form-fitting plate mail that seemed to dance in the light as if built from living flame. Her fiery hair fell across her shoulders in a style almost never seen on any kiithsid – male or female – and it too seemed to writhe with a life all its own. Silas didn't know why synthetic intelligences designated to control warships so often blended the facial features of their crew with the classical appearance of Qwaar-Jet for their avatars, though he figured that the goddess of war was as appropriate a visage as any. The Miidnal herself, an immense mobile “shipyard” designed to act as a behind-the-lines resupply and refit station as well as command hub, was but one of many such warship intelligences present here.

The avatars of the assembled phias and their attendant synthetic intelligences rose and held their arms outward in salute. Silas gestured for them to be seated. Each took his place atop a cushioned mat, with Kansbar sitting directly to Silas' right and the Miidnal standing at attention behind him. They arranged in a circle atop a windswept bluff Silas knew to be located in the Khontala mountain range, just east of the holy Shimmering Path. He knew this bluff well, he'd often climbed to its top as a boy. Of course, they weren't really atop a bluff. Indeed, he knew, every single person assembled at this meeting most likely saw their location as something completely different. This was what he was comfortable with, this was where he could conduct business while at peace...though the fact that the whipping, near hurricane-force winds that normally buffeted this bluff seemed to curve around the circle of senior officers to form a dome of calm and quiet was unnerving slightly.

“My phias,” said Silas, gesturing to the circle, “you have all been given downloads of our strategy and doctrine for this operation. You have all been instructing your jak'phida and jak'sada on how we shall proceed for weeks. Your crews have been drilling and working up constantly since this force command was formed. We are all professionals. We all know our duties, and that the next few days shall test us. So, in order to save time, and to avoid irritating our lovely and brilliant companions any more than we already are with our primitive thought patterns,” he gestured to several of the gathered SIs amid a few light chuckles, “I shall instead devote this briefing to answering questions and addressing concerns I know a few of you have.”

“My phia-sa,” asked the young, dark-skinned phia from Kiith Paktu. “How are we to handle enemy non-combatants? I did not see any details in our downloads.”

“There should be no enemy non-combatants,” answered Silas, waving his hand and summoning a vividly detailed orbital map of the planet CT-Aarne. “The orbital habitats we have identified in geostationary over the equator have been confirmed to be heavily armed, hence why they are to be eliminated in the first wave. There are scattered outposts which we believe to be surface-side garrisons and resupply facilities. Use of orbital munitions will be authorized once superiority has been achieved during phase two of the operation.”

“You almost feel sorry for them,” stated Vadonis' mind-voice. “They played their part perfectly, and now must pay the price.”

“Careful, Somtaaw,” said Farhad as if he were standing right next to Vadonis, though they were hundreds of thousands of kilometers apart. “Sentimentality is a dangerous weakness in warfare.”

“Do not be worred, Manaani,” assured Vadonis. “I know my duty. I am merely musing on the circumstances of our situation. The Kisuvoy have been most accommodating in this operation.”

“That they have. They will also be aware of us, shortly.”

“Quite right. All war sailers, release of weapons is authorized.”

Instantly, across a formation six-hundred thousand kilometers wide, shaped cutting charges triggered and detonated. Canisters drifted away from the still-accelerating fleet, then spat electromagnetic fire as powerful magnetic coils vomited smaller metallic cylinders at incredible velocities. The cylinders overtook the fleet and activated their own engines on a vector which would take them directly into the heart of the battle several light-minutes distant.

Probes, launched by the first wave as they had entered the system days ago, reported the situation to the fleet. The Kisuvoy ships, their gold-and-copper hulls marred in places from the scars of battle, whirled to face the new threat. The Sobani ships of the first wave, damaged but still in the fight, used the opportunity to accelerate away from the noose of Kisuvoy warships, transmitting messages of thanks and encouragement to their newly-arrived brethren.

“My phia-sa,” spoke the avatar of a middle-aged woman who bore the markings of a S'jet officer. “I must inquire...why have we been prohibited from including our new keeyevdokpok in our orders of battle? Surely such a first-strike weapon would offer us a significant tactical advantage?”

“Indeed it would, but only for this operation,” Silas waved his avatar's hand once more and dismissed the map. “We do not know how many probes from how many barbarian nations may be concealed in moon shadows at this time. Our intelligence is, unfortunately, somewhat limited. If we were to deploy the keeyevdokpok, it would almost certainly obliterate the Kisuvoy forces without even the slightest threat to our war sailers or motherships, but we would potentially lose the element of surprise for future conflicts. No, our secret weapons shall arrive with the fourth wave, and be concealed within our mobile yards.”

Cerulean beams of energy reached out searchingly, attempting to spear the prey that darted and wove elusively through the inky blackness. They had gotten closer that time. The golden warships screamed on their reality-warping engines towards the interlopers and fired again. They were rewarded with a few detonations as several Kiith pods failed to evade the deadly rays. Kisuvoy attack craft swarmed to meet the impossibly large volley with mad abandon. Words of triumph and vengeance soon-to-be passed between the glimmering cigars.

And then the lethal, silvery, cylindrical pods began to blossom.

Cutting charges stripped away the outer coatings and reduced them to a glittering rain of superheated metal. Smaller vehicles, each barely twenty meters long, rocketed away from the debris cloud. Shots went wild as targets vanished and then seemingly multiplied themselves ten times over. The Kisuvoy warships pulled their formation tighter to increase the overlap of their point-defense fire.

From every pod that had successfully deployed their ordnance, an individual missile raced ahead of its brethren. These now activated. Instantly, beams of coherent light radiated out from the lens at the missiles' noses in a vast, enveloping cone. Kisuvoy ships began swerving wildly, making course alterations at random. The Kiith had learned much from the Battle of Nova Hubbardis, specifically the failure of their electronic countermeasures. The new countermeasures fired wide-beam bursts of radiation while moving up the electromagnetic spectrum. The beams were too distributed to cause more than superficial hull damage, but highly vulnerable sensors and communications equipment were instantly burned out.

Kisuvoy interceptors that had escaped the beams still screamed in on the massive volley. A second missile from each group broke ranks as well, and picked large groups of interceptors. Tens of thousands of kilometers from their targets, they detonated in bursts of thermonuclear fire. Faster than the human brain was capable of comprehending, radiation surged through a series of independently targeted rods and forced into a cohesive pattern. Each rod was aimed at an individual interceptor, and the cloud of golden smallcraft were reduced to rapidly expanding clouds of vapor. In the blink of an eye.

The Kiith fleet numbered fifty yewonroztda – war sailers - in addition to the fifteen Kiith Soban had volunteered to act as bait. The war sailers had each carried twenty externally-mounted disposable coil-launchers as a “first strike” weapon. Within these, forty cylindrical launch vehicles had been accelerated to a fraction of the speed of light towards their targets. Every launch vehicle had carried ten smaller missiles within it. Of these, one had been a “Skaal-fa”-type defender missile, which had just decimated the enemy's smallcraft picket force. A second had been an “Osheklam-Koya”-type electromagnetic countermeasure pod tasked with disabling the enemy sensors and communications. A third was a missile carrying an advanced active scanner suite and communications array. These “Yorlastyu-Lamaat”-type pods were designed to cut through the enemy's countermeasures in turn while shepherding their lethal flock towards the target.

This left seven deadly “Kuun-Lamaat” missiles per pod. Developed in the interim period after the Galactic Cold War, they had completely revolutionized Kiith missile technology by doing away with the old “bomb-pumped” laser concept. Instead of detonating like their less-advanced “Skaal-fa” cousins, they emitted a high X-ray frequency coherent free-electron light beam fed by an internal fusion reactor. This resulted, the weapons development board had promised, in a vastly increased range and-per missile lethality. Now, two-hundred and eighty-thousand Kuun-Lamaats fired their lasers at once at less than seven-hundred Kisuvoy targets.

Silas sighed before continuing.

“Which...brings me to a point I feel should be addressed. We are all students of history. We know the factors that led to the disbandment of the First Expedition. The Kisuvoy are tenacious foes who would stop at nothing to exterminate us, but the threat they pose is minor at best. No, they are not who I am worried about. The Bavinese Federation and the Huerdaen Star Empire are. Our information is limited, but we believe that the Federation has grown its military at a reckless pace thanks to large infusions of foreign capital. The Huerdaen have traditionally left us alone; but with the collapse of the Hermes Alliance, their imperialism has allowed them to expand virtually unchecked. This includes the annexation of several of the First Expedition's colonies, and there is a risk they may see our return as a threat to their continued expansion. These are unknown factors, my phias. Our data on their technology, their force deployment capabilities, and their motivations is too limited. We could be stepping right into a skaal's nest here. During this deployment, your ships will be operating away from the chain of command until we can safely deploy the fourth wave. If the Milky Way barbarians attempt to intervene before that time...”

He trailed off, chiding himself mentally.

“We understand, Phia-sa Somtaaw,” said the S'jet officer. “Our crews shall be ready.”

“Very well then,” breathed Silas. “Now, Phia Nabaal, about your fleet's logistics issues...”

“All sailers, stand down to secondary alert,” commanded Jak'sa Somtaaw Vadonis. Across the fleet, similar orders were being given by individual battlegroup commanders. “Jak'phi Siingla, your third wave is cleared for jump.”

Fissures in the fabric of space-time opened around the debris-strewn orbitals of Coruc-Tel's only habitable world. With bursts of Hawking radiation, squat and flattened vessels came into existence and began settling into stationary orbits over the scarred world. Several of them maneuvered into lower orbits and dropped missiles into the atmosphere. Minutes later, they were rewarded with large brown dust clouds on the surface as kinetic-energy weapons found their marks.

“Second wing, coordinate with the S'jetti and Nabaali,” continued Vadonis' orders. “Disperse and launch a full spread of probes. If the locals dropped eyes in this system, I want them found and incinerated. Coruc-Tel is ours once more.”

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:17 am

The Federal City, Ascension

The office sat empty. Purposeless. The plush chair, the wooden desk, the bookcases and the empty frames sat. They would soon be given purpose, given energy and meaning by the occupant, but it was not yet his office. Outside, the city shimmered under the afternoon sun. A train flew by, mounting onto a bridge and speeding across the bay, past brooding cargo ships, under flighty aircraft and within the great thin shadow cast by the distant elevator.

A soft tone sounded into the empty room, and the door slid open. Two men entered, one heavy and one thin, one young and the other old. The older man moved his arm back and touched a panel, and the door slid shut. The young man walked into the room, spreading his arms to get a feel for the space. He turned to the view of the city and the bay and gasped.

“What a view!”

The old man grunted in approval, and began to walk- limp- across the room. He suddenly leaned forward and grabbed at his leg, memories flooding in-

The smell of smoke and death was heavy in the air of the tunnel as he ran through it. Shouts and screams came from above, shots and blasts echoed through the walls. A thundering sound and bright, sharp pain in his leg. Falling.

Then the Huerdaen sick bay, the strange machines making strange noises. He looked up at the face of a man he would now call his enemy, a man who was removing shrapnel from his leg and cauterizing the wound. Then, the office flooded back into view, and the young man was putting him down on the couch.

“Are you alright?” he asked, concern in his eyes.

“Yeah... yeah I’m fine,” the old man replies, almost reluctantly, “Old wounds never really go away.”

The young man was far away again, activating the info screens on the wall and the desk, looking at the news feed. He looked up at the old man to make sure he was alright, before returning to his work.

“Now I remember why I quit this damned job again,” the old man said with a laugh, “I’m too damn old to get shot again.”

The young man looked up at him, wondering if he was joking. The old man was looking away, down the bay to the house were he would retire. In his mind he was already there, watching the clouds drift overhead, listening to the pounding surf.

Another tone broke his reverie. The office’s digital secretary chimed in.

Mr. Minister, the Chancellor wants to see you right away in his office

“Alright, thanks Susanne,” the young man replied. He turned to the old man.

“You go on ahead,” the old man said, waving his hand towards the door, “I’m gonna stick around and take one last look at the place.”

The young man, slightly relived, walked up to the old man, and extended his hand.

“I know I said this at your party, but I wanted to say it again. It’s been an honor serving under you, Mr. Shari.”

The old man smiled, and they shook.

Dievii Sloc, the Federation’s new Foreign Minister, walked through the doors into the Chancellor’s office. The Intelligence Minister was there, looking over some files scattered on the desk, and the Chancellor stood beyond, staring out at the city. Both turned when Sloc entered.

“Ah, Mr. Sloc, it’s a pleasure to see you again,” said the Intelligence Minister, rising to shake his hand. The Chancellor was looking at the city again.

“Pleasure to see you too, Mr. O’Haver. So, why was I called here?” Sloc asked.

“You need to see something,” O’Haver said, and turned to the files on the desk. One of the vidpapers there was showing a recording from a probe around Coruc-tel, as the timestamp testified. The recording was barely two days old. Other reports from the other probes in the system were under that paper. All of them told the same story- a fleet arrived and then swept the system of the locals.

“Someone’s invaded the system. Who? The Rethast? The Huerdaen?” Sloc asked, confused.

“No. It’s the Kiith.”

“The Kiith? I thought they’d left this galaxy?”

“Times change,” said the Chancellor, almost to himself. The ministers looked up at him. He turned to face them. “Times change, seasons pass, but the stars are eternal,” he said, finishing the ancient Bavinese proverb. The ministers looked at him for a moment then returned to their conversation.

“Do we know what they want?” Sloc asked.

“Their worlds, of course.” O’Haver replied, “Why else would they trek between galaxies?”

“They aren’t going to react well to our fleets... do we have a battle plan?”

The Chancellor looked at Sloc, “Battle plan? One war at a time, Mr. Sloc. No no, I intend to make contact with the Kiith. That’s why I called you here.”

“Oh... right. Of course. But what should I tell them?”

“It’s simple really,” the Chancellor said, pulling up a map of the KFEF’s territory, “Our holdings here are worthless, certainly not worth a major conflict. The only systems worth having are Sojent-ra and Coruc-tel. I want you to present the Kiith with an offer. We cede our holdings in the KFEF, and agree to help them regain Sojent-ra. In exchange, they aide us in the war.”

“Will they accept such an offer? They must know that they could easily pick off the systems once we and the Huerdaen have fought each other to a standstill.”

“Yes, they know that. They also know that they cannot survive long without allies on this end. The Kiith may be slippery, but they’re not dumb. They’ll cooperate with us, for a time at least. At any rate, they’ll have to fight the Huerdaen anyway, it’s not too likely that they’ll pull back from Sojent-ra.”

“Of course, of course. But what if they refuse?”

“Then we pull back anyway and leave them to their fate. Either way, they’ll be a drain on the enemy’s resources.”

The Chancellor rummaged through the files and produced a transport order, which he handed to Sloc.

“These papers will get you on a corvette to Ante-re. There, you’ll find a crusier left by Task Force Able. The HHTC gate will be destroyed once you’re through. Remember, it is of absolute importance that the gate be destroyed! The enemy must not be allowed to gain access to its secrets, at any cost.”

“I won’t forget, Mr. Chancellor.”

“Good. You should leave now, if possible.”

Sloc nodded, then shook the Chancellor’s hand. He turned and walked to the shuttlebay, leaving his office sitting empty once again.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:38 am

Sojent-Ra, Former Kiith Federation Binary System
83 Hours After Second Battle of Coruc-Tel

The probe appeared forty-five degrees “above” the orbital plan of Sojent-Ra Beta at a distance of five light-minutes. Hard radiation spiked all around it as it screamed with unpowered velocity through solar wind at nearly seventy percent of light speed relative to the twin stars. A burst of superheated gas separated the probe from its bulbous abdomen, which decelerated on jets of metallic hydrogen away from the main body of the probe before consuming itself in thermonuclear fire once it was clear. The rapidly expanding cloud of ionized gas that had been its faster-than-light carriage phased the forty-meter device not at all as it began deploying sensitive and delicate booms behind the great flat disc of carbon that served as its dust shield.

Every few seconds, a jet of hydrogen would shoot off into the void as the element was decompressed from its metallic state, propelling the probe a few degrees in one direction or another. The gas propellant acted as an open-cycle coolant, itself relatively cold even against the backdrop of space as it whisked away the friction heat built up by microscopic impacts upon the dust shield. True stealth was, of course, an impossibility in space – especially for an object who's speedy descent through Sojent-Ra Beta's solar wind sent a torrent of radiation before it. However, by throwing off no active emissions and only using its cold-thrust maneuver thrusters, it would make it hell for any thermal sensor to pin down an exact vector even without its constant course corrections.

The booms extended outward and behind the probe, still taking shelter behind the cone of vacuum carved through space by the probe's dust shield. The booms took in everything, passing the data through the probe's relatively simple brain and into its transmitter array. Multispectral passive arrays took note of extensive debris fields around the system's single habitable world, and new particulate matter within the atmosphere suggested intense conflict. The probe analyzed the energy and hull profiles of the artificial constructs scattered throughout the system and fed them through the transmitter.

An active LIDAR pinged one of the probes sensors, inadvertently blinding one of the probe's many eyes. Subroutines within the probe's programming kicked in, and more booms extended from its thick body. The Sojent-Ra system was suddenly awash in beams of coherent radiation as active LIDAR arrays began pinging everything within range. Terabytes of raw data surged through the faster-than-light transmitter. Seconds ticked by as more and more data was returned from the desperate scans. The probe, though its limited brain knew it was about to die, felt no fear. It didn't know how. All it knew was its purpose.

Evasion protocols screamed through the synthetic cortex as a sudden proximity alarm sounded. Jets of metallic hydrogen filled the ether as the probe jinked and maneuvered to try and escape its new assailant, all the while sending every minute detail about the vessel to its distant masters. A ferrous slug went barely wide, its electromagnetic tail blinding a half dozen sensor nodes. A second round hit home, shattering the dust shield and exposing the sensitive equipment to the rigors of Sojent-Ra's atomic fury. The star's charged particles deluged the transmitter, and the overcharge coupled with a loss of its cooling system reduced the entire system to slag almost instantly. A final protocol activated, and the computer virus flooded the probe's mind. The machine felt sweet oblivion a scant microsecond before the third round shattered what was left of its flimsy body.

Mobile Construction and Logistics Base Somtaaw-sa Miidnal uln-Estalaan
Coruc-Tel, Kiith Federation Expeditionary Force Territory

His mind was a void, a singularity in space and time, drawing in information from all sources as voraciously as its non-metaphorical counterparts. He felt other minds brush his, distant phantoms in a sea of shadows, but they were immaterial.

“My phia,” whispered the mind-voice of the Miidnal. “The data stream from the Sojent-Ra probe has finished compiling. It has stopped transmitting.”

This awoke Silas from his mental reverie. The Sojent-Ra probe had been of the greatest interest to him. Others had streaked through Anta-Re, Corr-Farr, and a dozen other systems in the general vicinity of Coruc-Tel. They had told him mostly what he had already known – the Bavinese were on the ropes. Their fleet was spread even more thinly than he had believed originally, though of course their allies were starting to pick up some of the slack.

But Sojent-Ra was another story. The data flowed into him. He saw everything the probe had seen, from all angles and in every spectrum. The probe's sensors beheld the devastation wrought by the recent battle. Spectrographic readings on materials in the wreckage filtered through his brain and were filed away in the Miidnal's memory systems to be disseminated throughout fleet intelligence.

A twinge of animal panic arced down Silas' spine when the vessel suddenly appeared at near point-blank range with the probe and began firing, a twinge that was quickly suppressed. The Phia-sa made sure to note all radiative emissions as the ship emerged, obviously from either some sort of short-ranged faster-than-light translation or an active stealth device of unknown type. He felt the jarring sensation as the probe's body began falling apart from a hail of slugs. Knew the rough analog of machine panic as it tried desperately to identify its assailant before it was forced to end its own life.

“So,” mused Silas to the ship and those officers of the Phiamid connected to his mind. “We now know the Bavinese did not claim all of our old systems. I cannot say I am surprised, but we still must be prepared. I would not put it past them to come calling.”

Huerdae
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:38 pm

I.M.S. Herald of Truth, Blackstone-Class War Frigate

"You're certain?"

"Beyond all reasonable doubt. It's almost identical to the others we recovered following their disappearance."

Sal'Suveen sat back in his chair, staring at the replay as it went through for the fourth time. The Rage-Class Destroyer Blood of Martyrs had picked up the object as it appeared, and the captain was quick to react, but by the amount of scans the thing had gotten off, there was little doubt in his mind the clarity of the image they had gleaned. Below him, the starport was still badly damaged, with much of the surface blasted and in ruin, while the seas churned following the Tocrowkian orbital strike from so long ago. The strike had thrown off the very climate of the planet for years, if not permanently, and only now, after so much blood had been spilled, did the Huerdaen hear from those who had first called them to war, and brought these issues to their attention.

The captain of the Blood of Martyrs stood before him, staring patiently in the way that Pankrees do, with that calm, piercing gaze and light green eyes. The man had a calmness about him that Sal'Suveen envied, compounded by the fact that Captain Valaan seemed to be always smiling, it set him apart from much of the Star Navy. It was staring back at those eyes that brought a scowl to Sal'Suveen's face, and he found himself forced to look away.

"You'd think they could have at least sent us a message. We'll make the first civilized step, then. We know where it likely came from?"

"Best guess is Coruc-Tel. Do you care about the specifics?"

Sal'Suveen shook his head, rising from his chair. It was then that he noticed that he was noticably shorter than the other man, by several centimeters, making him younger, shorter...and also appearing angrier. Turning his back, he moved around to the back of his chair, srapping his fingers around the hard metal as he thought. Each finger tapped in sequence, and the other man simply looked on.

There really wasn't much choice in the matter. They had to contact the Kiith, but even though there were supposedly options, almost every one was ruled out. Sending the Blood of Martyrs as Captain Valaan requested would make them vulnerable to a trap, if one existed. By the same token, he couldn't send a battle group, which would resist a trap, because if the Kiith were legitimately returning, it could be seen as an act of war. A move like that would also leave Sojent-Ra open to enemy attack during that time, after it had just survived the Tocrowkian attack. Relations, despite the ceasefire, were not in any way stable enough to risk large troop movements. Both sides still had the strength to move openly, and after the damage caused by the Reich forces, he was hesitant to give up his stronghold in the Kiith lands, even with Foer and Alstania.

Any mix in between found the weaknesses of one or both, with a patrol group being a sacrifice of warships with almost no gain. It left him with only one reasonable option, and that was what left a bad taste in his mouth. Sending a message openly in the general vicinity of the people you want to talk to was often met with inconsistent results, and left them open to exploitation at times. Still, it was the only option which didn't risk warships, or the system itself.

"We're getting ready to move forces to Anta-Re and Corr-Farr, correct? I want you to take a moment in deadspace and send them a message, Captain. Unencrypted, just make sure it gets there sometime this week."

"A message? What should it say?"

"I'll forward you a message by the end of the day, Captain."

The man saluted, and left, needing no dismissal. It was an unexpected turn of events that they had stumbled on. With the Bavinese allies willingly ceding the old Kiith lands to them, they had already surveyed the systems, but had not moved in. If the Kiith were back, it meant there was suddenly a reason to move more quickly. Much, much more quickly. They had fought and died for those systems once already. To simply be too slow to keep them would be a major blunder.

The message that went out was simple, but it did not lack malice. The Star Empire had felt wronged, and the harsh, short terms of the communique were clear on that point on each of the four repetitions.

"This is Commodore Sal'Suveen of the Huerdaen Star Empire, attempting to contact the Kiith Federation. An object that we believe was under your control was found breaching our border the system of Sojent-Ra. Your conduct in the past does not endear us to your ways, and your act of abandoning us on the brink of war can only be seen as betrayal. We find it is more than generous, considering these circumstances, to ask what your intentions are among these border worlds of the Star Empire."
Last edited by Huerdae on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Huerdaen Star Empire is an FT Nation.

Xiscapia wrote:It amused her for a time to wonder if the two fleets could not see each other, so she could imagine them blindly stabbing in the dark, like a game of tag, if tag was played with rocket launchers in pitch blackness.
[17:15] <Telros> OH HO HO, YOU THOUGHT HUE WAS OUT OF LUCK, DID YOU
[17:15] <Telros> KUKUKU, HE HAS REINFORCEMENTS
[17:15] <Telros> FOR TELROS IS REINFORCEMENTS MAN

Rezo wrote:If your battleship turrets have a smaller calibre than your penis is long, you're doing it wrong.

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:10 pm

From the very beginning, we knew the Huerdaen were trouble. They had expanded too quickly, had too many easy victories, for them to see the folly of their endeavors. They were the masters of all they saw; that which they desired became theirs. Militaries across the bezakpartlawa focused their propaganda on the “bogie man” of the Huerdaen Star Empire in order to meet recruitment quotas. Governments threw their populace into a frenzy by implying the Imperials were just over the horizon in shallow, self-serving bids for popular mandates. And now, another great monster of the galaxy's past had arisen to challenge them – us.
- Personal logs of Phia-sa (fmr.) Somtaaw Silas uln-Jalaat, Chronicle of the Second Expedition

The FleetNet, via Central Command Hub

“Betrayal...”

Phia-sa Somtaaw Silas uln-Jalaat played with the word, both the translated version and its original phrasing. He stretched it, passed it back and forth across his gray matter. It was an interesting notion, the idea behind the word. It spoke more about the Empire than he reasoned they intended to reveal. A jolt of amusement radiated out from him.

“With respect, my phia-sa, I do not see how this is cause for levity,” whispered the mind of Kansbar. “They obviously hold us responsible for some slight on the part of our predecessors.”

“The Huerdaen are not a complicated people, phia,” said Silas contemplatively. “Diverse, certainly. With seemingly more cultures than even the outer Sphere. But as a whole? No, not complicated. They clearly counted us amongst possible allies in their war against the Hermes, and despite no formal agreement being signed, our retreat was a grave insult to them. Were their ire not focused upon us, I would be inclined to endorse it.” His avatar smirked, and several of the other gathered avatars reacted with genuine, unfiltered surprise. Silas had started taking dark satisfaction at eliciting the more animalistic, base-line reactions from what his society had deemed the highest pinnacle of the cold and logical. It was fitting retribution for the constant irritation they bombarded him with.

“They demand a response,” mentioned the Nabaali phia; her cool, diplomatic tones attempting to play along neural pathways to engender agreement to her position. She was indeed a Nabaal, and by extension a natural politician. “What shall we say?”

“Nothing!” interjected the Paktu. “We remain silent, and re-assess our situation. The Huerdaen can't be trusted.”

“On the contrary,” said Silas in an even tone. “The Huerdaen are amongst the most trustworthy civilizations we know of. A Huerdaen will always do what he says, or at least try to. From our information on them, they pride themselves on such concepts as honesty and honor. No, no. We can trust them. They just aren't friendly.”

“So we lie!” cried the S'jetti. “Keep them off-guard. Let them think we're passive.”

“Nonsense!” responded the Sobani. “We must move up our time-table. If we let them think we are but passive explorers and merchants, Coruc-tel will find itself penetrated by Huerdaen vessels before we are in a position to counterattack.”

“We will,” interrupted Silas, bringing the discussion down by muting his compatriots, “remain calm. If the Huerdaen intended to attack, they would have. They either lack the motivation, or the capability. We must not allow our response to provide the former, nor must we allow them to muster the latter. We shall respond, and we shall tell them truth...but on our terms. Our time table will be accelerated, but only slightly. We must ensure that, when the time comes, we will be ready. And,” his avatar moved to focus upon the Nabaali officer. “You will place Foer in play.”

---

Sojent-Ra, Former Kiith Federation Binary System
Huerdaen Star Empire Territory

The buoy exited the Slipstream near the furthest extent of Sojent-Ra Beta's gravity field. It, like its now-deceased distant cousin before it, ejected its faster-than-light drive and sped away from it before the valuable piece of technology incinerated itself. The buoy itself finished its acceleration towards in-system and began drifting. At such a velocity, cosmic dust impacts were far less of a concern, and several long transmitter dishes extended from the buoy. They began beaming long rays of electromagnetic radiation at the Sojent-Ra system's lone habitable planet. It transmitted its text-based message three times in what the Kiith called “Galstandard” - a commonly accepted trade language – first, before cycling through several known dialects of the Huerdaen civilization. Each time, it repeated its message three times before switching.

I am Phia-sa Somtaaw Silas uln-Jalaat; force commander of the Bezakpartlawa theater, commanding officer of the Kiith Federation Expeditionary Force, and representative in this galaxy for the Kiith Federation and the Feazanthian Dominion; transmitting to the appropriate representatives of the Huerdaen Star Empire and her colonies. We have received your transmission and are heartened to know that the Huerdaen civilization still remains strong, long may the gods show you favor.

Know that those who abandoned you in your time of need no longer speak for the Federation. Those who were members of the first Expeditionary Force are no longer part of any military or government office. The Daiamid has sent myself and those under my command here to resume our operations, having seen the errors of past decisions and previous administrations.

The Kiith Federation, formally and without condition, relinquishes any and all claim to star systems upon which our predecessors colonized; with the sole exception of the binary system of Coruc-Tel. Attempt no incursion there. It is, now and for all time, under the sole jurisdiction of the Kiith Federation.

Should you wish further communication with myself and my government, a two-way communications buoy has been established at the coordinates attached to this transmission.

Phia-sa Somtaaw Silas uln-Jalaat
FC/CO BPLW KFEF
Coruc-Tel

---

Foer, Former Bavinese Federation Star System
Huerdaen Star Empire

She bolted upright in the gloom, hands pressed tight against her temples. Pale moonlight filtered in through an open window, refracting against the cold sweat that clung to her mahogany skin. Beads clumped and ran down her ovular face to her pointed chin, stretching from thin fingers that dug into her flesh. Her bright blue almond-shaped eyes bulged and her long hair swirled through the color spectrum as the neural fibers that interwove through it changed its pigment at random in response to her agony.

Then, as quickly as it had begun and torn her from her sleep, the pain was simply gone. Dineae fell back upon the sheets and let the sweat vaporize in the cool air. A light rain pattered against the windowsill, barely enough to turn the dust to mud but still sufficient to raise the humidity level of the room perceptively. She knew she ought to close the open portal, but her body refused to move. Slowly she regained enough control over her physical form to drag her frame from the soft warmth of the bed and over to the window. It closed with a whump, and she allowed her eyes to gaze out over Foer City. She could feel more than hear the rumble as another transport thundered a few kilometers to the west towards the space port. Her eyes caught a glimpse of a movement atop the tower in the distance and, though the light from the sole visible moon was too dim to make it out, her blood heated at the knowledge that she was looking at the gold-on-black sigil of the Huerdaen Star Empire. She ran her fingers through her hair in a relaxation technique her mother had taught, finally gaining control of herself and settling its shade on a dull red.

Fingers rubbed at her temples again as a dull itch seemed to spring up across her scalp. Even though the pain was gone, her mind felt raw from the torrent of memories not her own forcing themselves upon her. She'd been prepared for them, knew they could arrive at any time, had experienced them before; but the sheer suddenness of them, let alone while she had been asleep, had caught her off-guard. She thought she could almost feel the bio-circuitry decaying and being-reabsorbed across her frontal cortex.

So. The day had finally come. She'd screamed at her father when he'd told her what he'd done to her. Hated him. He'd stood there and took it when she'd pounded her tiny fists against him. But, as time had gone on, it'd started making sense to her. She'd finally come to accept it, even relish it. Enjoyed knowing that she alone was special. Relished the feeling of fresh updates to her training being downloaded directly into her.

There would be no updates. She knew what she must do. Wrapping a thick robe around her form to guard from the wet chill that had already permeated her, Dinaea Campaberry – in truth having long ago and unknown to anyone adopted the name Nabaal Dinaea luun-Re'a - slid behind a console screen and began her search.

Khandosia
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Khandosia » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:47 pm

tag
My FT Factbook|Return of the Lion

"On the contrary; this gentleman is my nemesis, my opposite number, the Holmes to my Moriarty, the blessed image of purity next to be defiled oozing corruption." - Chronosia

Huerdae
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:38 am

Sojent-Ra, Huerdaen Domain

As the remains of the most recent intruder into Sojent-Ra quietly spun further into deep space or were devoured by the massively powerful shielding of the Huerdaen warship, Sal'Suveen sat quietly in his chair, reading through the latest communication as it arrived. As each word appeared, he realized that the one composing the messages in the opposing nation was, to put it simply, quite aware of Huerdaen laws or at least the limits to which he was bound. It made any manner of communication both freeing and dangerous. They would likely be very careful in what they stated, and would be just as critical of his words. As he read, he had the distinct feeling that he was staring at a chessboard, where the pieces were only just now beginning to move.

The problem was, he couldn't see the moves. The wording was too precise, too careful to be anything but a skilled opponent, and it gave him nothing to move on. He could only respond to their actions with this - in the message, they had accepted the most recent Huerdaen claims and made no attempt to challenge it. Any sort of offensive act at this time would now have to be made with very little to stand on, should it be questioned. Rising to his feet, he reached to a small shelf over his desk, pulling down a carefully crafted chessboard, and placing it to one side of his desk. As he read through the message one more time, he set up each of the pieces.

Each word, he considered at length, until finally, he reached to the board, moving forward a single pawn out onto the board proper, away from the original setup of the other white pieces. It strode forward aggressively, standing defiant of the black wall before it, and as he stared at the board, he shifted another piece slowly forward, giving him the ability to deploy others as needed. It was defensive, careful, and minimal, perhaps hoping to draw his enemy forward confidently into making a mistake.

That night, a message was returned to the Kiith.

"I am glad to hear that the betrayal of the Star Empire is not taken lightly, and that the actions of your own government accept responsibility for casualties caused in a war that we entered at your request. As you are not of the same leadership, however, I can afford you none of the status you previously held, either friend or foe. Do not attempt further incursions into the Huerdaen Domain. Having relinquished any claim to these systems, their affairs are no longer your concern, and your understanding is appreciated. In return, we shall accept your claim of the system Coruc-Tel, though I am not permitted to accept the use of such terms as 'for all time'. Your claim holds as long as you are able to enforce it.

Unless you wish to contest that you can hold any one given region of space forever and without any manner of break in your control, I do not think this is an unreasonable addendum. Our interactions in the past have been peaceful. It seems more advantageous for both of our nations if we return to that peaceful, and separate, state."

I.M.S. Herald of Truth, Blackstone-Class War Frigate
Command and Control Room

The chess board that displayed in the middle of the room was the object of the three officers' gaze. Sal'Suveen sat, quietly, at the back, while the other two gazed at it. They had been given all the information, and now they stood, staring at his best depiction of where they stood. For each of them, their expression wasn't particularly inspiring. Surprisingly, it was the Ataster woman, Silvoya, who spoke first.

"I think you're right. Something is at play here, but I can't tell you what. I'm not sure they're being as aggressive as you say. They may be just attempting to re-initiate contact with us, after all. Or had assumed we would lose the war."

The man, who appeared much more acceptable with a scowl on his face and a perpetual look of displeasure creasing his brows, shook his head. "In either case, we should have taken more steps to be prepared. Ready a battle group on short orders for deployment, hold them on standby in case we need to apply pressure."

The woman, nearly a third of a meter taller than Jo'Bugelli, rolled her eyes. "Ready to attack, you mean? They've given us no reason. It would give them a reason, in some people's eyes. We have to play this a little more carefully. Our actions need to be as measured as their words. A...special group, I think. Spread out the small number of people who are aware that an issue may arise. We can't afford to be entirely unprepared, but we need to find out what angle they're coming from. Any manner of overt action and they're likely to jump their tables forward before we have a chance to react. We need to regain control of the situation. A few, key pieces in a few, key locations. "

The man shook his head, planting his fist firmly on the table. "And what, wait for them to hit us in the gut? From where they're at, they could hit more than just a few stations or warships, which we're used to. If they really want to try hard at this, they could come after one of the core worlds. Maybe even your own pretty damn home, Silvoya. Are you sure you want to play this one 'safe'?"

The woman raised a hand as if to disagree, but Sal'Suveen's quite voice broke through the argument as if he had screamed it. "I agree with Silvoya. That's why I brought you here. However, I can't see a reason not to be ready. Let's go back to chess, shall we? Silvoya - you're my rook. I want you to shift out and solidify our defenses against whatever may come. If they come at us, I don't think it will be military. Be ready for something smaller scale slipping in or across the border. Trade ships, or pirates. If we're caught off guard, I want a response for it ready to go before they can capitalize. Jo'Bugelli, I want you to prepare a number of scenarios in which you can capitalize on your positioning. Be ready, I'm not sure what sort of response we'll see from them. Make your preparations away from the border, but be ready. I want an offensive option in case it's needed."

The two nodded and left, but Sal'Suveen remained seated, staring at the silent board that flickered before him in the dim light.
Last edited by Huerdae on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xiscapia wrote:It amused her for a time to wonder if the two fleets could not see each other, so she could imagine them blindly stabbing in the dark, like a game of tag, if tag was played with rocket launchers in pitch blackness.

Rezo wrote:If your battleship turrets have a smaller calibre than your penis is long, you're doing it wrong.

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:42 am

So we began our maneuvers. Each of us knew, or at least suspected, what the other was up to. It was strategy that kept our ships on our side of the border. It was politics that kept the Huerdaen on theirs.
-Personal logs of Phia-sa (fmr.) Somtaaw Silas uln-Jalaat, Chronicle of the Second Expedition

Ships and personnel filled his perception. A flood of senses tingled in awareness. He smelled war sailer task forces, felt savaseeda units, tasted logistics lines already beginning to form. In many ways, Silas had become the amalgamate consciousness of the Expeditionary Force.

“They have accepted our neutrality, then?” asked a familiar voice as a mind brushed his.

“For now, my brother,” responded Silas as he partitioned a small part of his presence to speak with his Kiith-sa. “Now begins the game. We shall place our stones, and they shall place theirs.”

“But they have accepted our acquiescence of the old territories?” insisted Kelen.

“Indeed. Though, I have little doubt that every one of them will be reinforced with fresh garrisons and defense fleets within the month. They will make ideal staging grounds for offensives into Coruc-Tel.”

“You do plan to wipe them out, then? Your position is vulnerable as long as they remain in enemy hands!”

A part of Silas sighed inwardly.

“You betray yourself, brother. There are thousands of stars, perhaps more, within the Huerdaen jump range of Coruc-Tel; many of which are completely unoccupied and the old holdings are, effectively, worthless to us. Their only value to the Huerdaen will be their strategic position and any resources we left unstripped. Any offensive we mounted would be put up against an entrenched and well-supplied enemy, an enemy expecting and prepared for an attack. All we would accomplish is to temporarily take a strategic position from the enemy, and to incur heavy losses on our part. No, we shall wait, and allow them to keep their impression of security. Should I deem it necessary to clear the old territories, I shall wait until the enemy is bled dry.”

“You play a risky game, Phia-sa.”

“Games without risk are not worth playing.”

Kelen’s consciousness withdrew sharply. Silas withdrew greater parts of his own mind from the greater expeditionary force. He suddenly found himself once again upon the windswept bluff, surrounded by his subordinates. He smiled, and greeted them in turn.

“We now begin phase two,” began the Phia-sa. “Phia Soban, I need your forces to spread throughout the system and ensure we are fully entrenched. If anything not of our manufacture enters detection range, isolate and blind it.”

“Phia-sa?”

“The Huerdaen must not learn our true capabilities. All keeyevdokpok will remain within their enclosures. I want all surface assets activated and prepped. Have them begin drilling in beachhead operations and enemy neutralization procedures under any conditions we’re likely to encounter at the target. Phia Nabaal, how long until our operative can get the data we need?”

“Not long, my Phia-sa,” said the Nabaali with a smirk. “Not long at all.”

---

The cool night air clung to her skin like a wet towel. The thin shawl covering her shoulders did little to ward off the cold, and the semi-organic fabric of the metallic, quasi-sheer dress she'd chosen covered far too little skin to be an effective insulator. She nervously played with the bow nestled beneath her cleavage, a flirty little addition her tailor had insisted upon for the plunging white halter dress. Dinaea tried to ignore the glances it got her along with the accompanying warning pings her social implants screamed at her; the sheer sides of the dress bordering a solid curve down to the too-short skirt identified her to the less-reputable types as several steps above a high-class escort, but she still felt ridiculous in it and it attracted far too much attention for her tastes. Her salary as an accountant at a minor native industrial firm was a suitable cover for the funds she needed for such a dress, and she'd stayed single long enough for it not to raise too many eyebrows amongst those she knew, but it just felt wrong on her.

A shiver completely independent of the cold ran up her spine. Her implants flashed a warning and then powered down as a security scan swept over the block. A small, newly constructed building ahead of her and to her right was outlined in harsh orange and a small line of text read “Huerdaen Gun Emplacement” in her vision. A short, stocky woman stepped out and glanced in her direction. Combat subroutines flashed up in her low-power modulated implants, and a subtle charge was applied to the single-shot light pulsar weapon in each of her index fingers. Dinaea struggled to keep her expression calm and her pace steady. The Huerdaen ran her eyes up and down Dinaea in a scrutinizing gaze and sneered contemptuously, but simply took out a small white stick and ignited it before sticking it into her mouth and sighing with content. The pulsars powered down and the combat subroutines rolled themselves back into their data inserts.

The sooner she no longer had to do this, Dinaea decided, the better.

-

Cody's was a mid-scale watering hole five blocks from the main spaceport's industrial facilities; too lowbrow for high-ranking businesspeople and the important visitors from the Huerdaen Star Empire, but far too classy for the criminal element and the general undesirables to bother getting anywhere near. It was a fair distance from her apartment, but close enough and well within her social strata that her frequenting it never raised an eyebrow. She'd first been brought here by her girlfriends back a few months after it had opened and had since made it a bi-weekly indulgence. In truth, the drinks were overpriced and the musical atmosphere too oppressive for her taste, but it was ideally placed for her task. A coworker had been the first to complain that clubs further and further from the spaceport were being “infested” by the Huerdaen, which had caused Dinaea to suggest going to Cody's in the first place. Sure enough, Cody's had been staked out by several freighter crews as a favored place to unwind and sample the “local flavor”. A disgusting array of native socialites and “farmgirls” of both genders had taken to trawling for Huerdaen crew; owing credence to the old adage that a person in uniform was irresistible, even if that uniform was of an occupying military.

Her hand brushed over the pedestal as the bouncer admitted her, linking her DNA with an account and withdrawing the necessary cover charge. It'd gone up again, she noticed with a grimace. Supply and demand. The Huerdaen were moving steadily outward, and they were there in force this night. Infiltration programs nestled within her implants wirelessly interfaced with and overpowered the club's security systems and accessed the registry as her body was thudded by the steady subsonic pulses of synthesis music. Her analysis programs filtered out the surnamed Bavinese and Foerese natives, instead bringing the abbreviated single names of the Huerdaen registry up. She noticed with a bit of consternation that the file was encrypted, but very lightly so. A civilian cipher, held client-side by the club itself. It was cracked without so much as a ping in the security system, but it was still a new security precaution.

She moved through the crowd of dancing patrons, slick and sweaty bodies pressing close against her own. She gyrated with the music, acting naturally but obviously moving with purpose. Her implants scanned the faces of those in her field of vision as she turned her head back and forth in time with the harmonic pulses. Her analysis programs filtered through the local networks and began tapping against the logs of the spaceport itself, following the club's record keeping programs back. She came up against a firewall, one of Huerdaen origin. The foreign programming lashed out, clawing at her infiltration systems as she retreated. She cursed. Dinaea's implants didn't have the capability to fully insert themselves into the alien software, not without being so obvious that the Imperial Shield would be on her in seconds. No, she had to focus on native systems. After all, the Kiith had designed and built most of Foer's internal networks themselves. She moved towards the bar, catching the predatory glances of a few Huerdaen merchantmen. She flashed them a flirting smile, fingering the bow on her dress unconsciously as her database matched faces with names and sought another way in. One of the spacers winked and waved over a service 'bot. A flash of new data entered the network, an order. One Morningstar Sunrise, charged to a shipboard account. This was it. She inserted herself into the financial management program, piggybacking onto the credit check as it raced along local networks. The query pinged against the Imperial firewall and was admitted.

She had it. The fruity, red-and-orange swirled drink arrived at her elbow, compliments of the short uniformed man who grinned hungrily at her. Names and service records flashed into her vision.

Ra'case, Junior Lieutennant and Sensors Operator on the Metrovick-class freighter Corsican.

She couldn't help but smile to herself as the profile lined up with the sample provided in her mission briefing. It wasn't a perfect match, but it was well within acceptable parameters. She acknowledged the alcoholic gift and flashed another smile, this one evasive, towards the Huerdaen. Her tied-back hair lightened from the dull auburn of contentedness to a dark red of intrigue. The lieutenant stood to the good-natured ribbing and jeering of his compatriots and began his approach routine. Dinaea sifted through her social protocol program, settling on an elusive but open set of engagements. Her implants stimulated the secretion of pheromones and hormones, simulating the subconscious ritual of attraction. The semi-organic fiber of her dress reacted to the chemicals, subtly altering her waist-to-hip ratio closer to optimal and accentuating her mammary glands while giving her body a more symmetrical appearance in the lighting. She consciously separated her mind from these animalistic biochemical reactions, isolating the decision-making centers of her cortex and filtering the compounds away from them. In truth, the man was repugnant to her. Short, stocky, and while his features weren't bad the uniform nearly brought bile to her throat.

“Thanks for the drink,” she cooed cooly, taking control of the engagement before the junior officer had a chance to rattle off some half-rehearsed pickup line that was 'funnier in Huerdaen'. “But I prefer Danube Light to these fruity things.” Her cortical lace scrutinized him as he recovered, and a part of her smirked as Ra'case quickly motioned for a pair of the low-calorie fermentations. The man was practically oozing horniness, and a passive spectral analysis picked up the faint EM waver of a “Shooter” who had recently taken a hit.

A sensor tech and a substance abuser, Dinaea thought. My lucky day.

-

A tiny jolt awoke her, spreading feeling throughout her nervous system. Her eyes snapped open, instantly alert. Dinaea scowled at Ra'case's snoring form sprawled atop her. Her ocular implant scanned him, identifying his sleep phase and awareness level. Satisfied, she cautiously slipped from his grasp. She quickly took a visual scan of the room. It wasn't exactly the lowest class hotel in that part of Armstrong, but it seemed to be striving for the title. She'd have preferred to have gotten on the ship itself, she reflected, but this could do. She examined him. He was, she concluded, definitely too short. He'd been a competent lover, but only just. A pang of guilt spiked through her. He was largely innocent. True, he and his compatriots were supplying the occupation of her home world, and his government was responsible for that occupation and the death of a still unknown number of Foerese, but he was innocent of the greater crimes.

Dinaea shook her head. This was not the time for second thoughts. Within hours, the hard part of her job would be completed and she would be home free. He would be back on the Corsican, and she would go back to her ordinary life to await the results of her labors. He stirred, eyes fluttering to look up at her.

“I have to go,” she whispered, leaning forward to kiss him.

“As do I,” he said sleepily in his thick accent. She smiled, taking a stylus and pad from the hotel nightstand.

“I have an apartment uptown. Look me up when you get back,” She picked up her rumpled dress from the scattered remains of their mutual clothing and carefully removed the bow. “I expect to get this back. This dress just isn’t the same without it.”

He grinned hungrily, grabbing her around the waist to her startled and amused cry. Her social protocol software took over, once again analyzing his physiology as he drew her onto his lap, instructing her on what it determined to be his desired responses to the renewed bout of vigorous lovemaking. As the Huerdaen fell back on the bed, she smiled and slipped back into the outfit. “Don’t forget about me, now,” she cooed, slender fingers running across her lips.

“Never.”

And then she was gone. The Corsican left orbit later that afternoon to no fanfare whatsoever, heading out system before entering faster-than-light. Ra’case endured the torture his shipmates gave him for the white bow pinned playfully to his belt with a grin as he tended to his station.

The tiny, sophisticated surveillance suite nestled within the bow locked on to his console’s display, and began recording.
Last edited by Feazanthia on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Huerdae
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:53 pm

Orbit over Foer, I.M.S. High Charity

Every time they met, it seemed the group of people grew. What had once been a single captain reporting, then a pair of officers, had now become a room full of ship's captains, including the Mistress Ris'Laiyah of the Imperial Force. The planetary governor of Foer was also in attendance, though the man was significantly more out of place than the rest. The meetings had been moved to the High Charity, Captain Silvoya's ship, where the surprising view and roominess of the vessel was appreciated by all. Nearly two dozen officers crammed around the table which now displayed the same chessboard that Sal'Suveen and Silvoya had been using to depict how they felt things were going for them.

They would not have called the meeting if things were going well. Indeed, the outlook was rather bleak. The Kiith had remained quiet, and nothing had occurred, but in the same time, Sal'Suveen had been forced to locate and relocate military assets more than a few times to keep them away from obvious locations. Many of the captains in the room now were new to the position, or were standing in for their superiors which were required to remain in their location should something occur. Keeping any manner of defense viable without appearing so left the Huerdaen in a hard position. They had to decide what assets to defend, and what assets to leave open, and depend on other, more passive defenses for others. The room was quiet while Sal'Suveen stood at the front, leaning with his arms on the table. To his right sat Silvoya, a giant in the room, but more at ease with sitting in orbit of Foer than any others, after having taken part in the battle to take the planet. To his left sat Captain Valaan, of his destroyer Blood of Martyrs. They were on opposite sides of Sal'Suveen's carefully constructed line, bases and stashes created for the war that they knew was coming. And by now, they knew that the Kiith were aware they knew it was, too. It was just a matter of where, and when. And that was the problem.

"I can't tell you where they'll strike. I have no doubt, though, the piece is already in play, somewhere we can't see it. A bishop with a line to something they think will hurt us, badly. We can only hope that they do not think their actions through. We're positioned in small patrol groups and battle groups where we can have a full battle fleet within 6 hours of an incident, but we are all aware - if they strike anything but a planet, that will be far too late. We must draw them in. Draw them to where we can best face them."

He turned his back to the group, to the large, open view of the planet Foer in front of him, visible through the very un-Huerdaen aesthetically curved window that showed the great beauty of the world below them.

"We must bring them here."

At that, the governor rose, outraged.

"Are you insane?! Foer cannot handle another war! What of Alstania, or Coruc-Tel, or one of our battlestations? Draw them there! A tactical asset, has Foer not seen enough blood and war?"

Valaan spoke, calmly, his eyes on the Bavinese-convert. "Unfortunately, no. Foer is the staging point, and they'll see that. It's no longer a viable world for agriculture on a large scale, but it has enough remnants of the past war to be of use to us. And, alone among the worlds in the eastern fringe it's the only one that is still holding a Xuan-Wu, warm and ready to go. Alstania is a prize, yes, but we cannot risk it. Foer was once what Alstania was, but it is now scarred. And the Kiith would not dare strike at Sojent-Ra. It has become a fortress, useful to us, but not something that can be easily used against us. That is why many of our supplies are there."

The man glared at the pankrees, but Silvoya spoke, smiling. "We're sorry, Mister Palais, but you have the best chance of surviving it. That's why we brought you here. Your world holds a militia garrison much larger than most, including increased Force presence, as well as Slaughter Cult levies, and remnants of the Blood Corps that attacked. You're in a position to capably resist a ground campaign. Much of the population was relocated around the capital to consolidate resources for the rebuilding, this gives them many places they could land uncontested, but also allows us the greatest protection under the Turtle. We regret to make you the bait, but of everyone here, you're the toughest. Mistress Ris'Laiyah has already agreed to ground her cruiser and supporting units under the guise of refit to support you. At this point, you have more soldiers on your world than we have in our collective ships."

Michael Palais silenced, glaring, but sat down, clenching his fist. Of them all, Foer had suffered the worst with the exception of Sojent-Ra, which was a military base, not a civilian world. More deaths had occurred on the planet over the course of the Vocian occupation, the battle for Foer, and the Huerdaen conquering than had occured in all but the siege of Sojent-Ra for the rest of the war. Foer had truly bled for the Huerdaen victory, and already they were going to sacrifice it again. But Sal'Suveen continued.

"Our assets are ready to gather in three groups, able to respond in almost any area along the front. Sojent-Ra is isolated, but holds our flank. To attempt to approach they'll deal with the garrison there, under General Kal'Voiy" he nodded to the man "until reinforcements arrive. Analysis of what limited Kiith technology we have captured indicates they will likely have a significant air presence, much like that of the Tocrowkians. If this occurs, your veterans will no doubt be pivotal in the battle."

"I will be with the core of the fleet at Alstania. Most of all, this was the jewel of the Bavin conquest. We cannot ignore its value. We cannot allow it to be a viable option for the strike. Two thirds of our forces are able to be at Alstania in less than fifteen minutes. It is vital that we respond as quickly as possible."

He turned his eyes back to Palais, brows drawn together. Six hours, Governor. You will have Captain Silvoya and her patrol group overhead to ward off raiders and buy you time to get the turtle in position. General Vho'Zhalli has his entire force concealed in and around the Xuan-Wu to repel invaders. I need you men to buy me six hours to gather my forces. At that time, the Star Navy can respond. Defend the Xuan-Wu, trap some Kiith on the surface if you can, we will try to clear orbit. You need only survive. Many of the old fortifications are still available to you, power is still run. Use them as you must. We will be here, I promise."

The room fell silent, and a young officer, a Senior Lieutenant from the destroyer Bloodied Blade spoke up, nervously. "So...we just wait?"

Closing his eyes, Sal'Suveen nodded. "Yes. Return to your ships, to your forces, to your worlds. Be ready when it comes. We will need to be ready for war."

They rose to leave, but Sal'Suveen waved a hand at Silvoya and Kal'Voiy, motioning tha they stay a moment. As the room emptied, Sal'Suveen leaned forward and moved a knight out to the front of the chess board, where it was exposed, but protected by lines and lines of other pieces, all carefully concealed behind moves and positioning. In silence, he gazed at the table.

"Kal'Voiy, you still have an AJax unit available to you, yes?"

"Yes, Commodore, but-"

"If they hit Foer, we will need them. Your men know the horrors of war. Whatever you can spare. Without them, we may be able to hold, but...I'm not sure we'll win."

The man's face darkened, and he nodded, carefully. "I also have the armored. Both units are ready if you can just open a window."

Sal'Suveen nodded, and looked at Silvoya, unable to say the true depth of it, but he knew exactly what was coming. The Kiith would take the bait. If they took Foer, it made Alstania almost impossible to retain. The Kiith would come, and he had done all he could.

"Captain...do not let them have this planet before we make it back. You're all I have here. Get the shield up, and let them have orbit. We'll meet you. Please. I beg of you. Keep us in this long enough to have a chance."

Huerdaen Domain, Trade Hub 114-404 "Illis"

Illis could easily be considered one of the less fanciful of trade hubs, if you had never been to any of the others. In true Huerdaen style, however, the thing was no more or less ugly and functional than any other hub. She, like many of the structures the Huerdaen built in deep space, had started as rock and ice that had been clumped together and then drilled into, where the reactor core was placed. As time passed, the structure grew, with piers reaching into space, then expanding into station arms, and spawning piers and hallways of their own. Now, Illis was a mass of web-like mass bound together around the four main points of the station, each bearing their own reactor. A drydock hung off one side of the station, and the uneven awkwardness made it almost painful to look upon, but from within, it was nothing less than a thriving city.

Ships came and left in droves, looking to an outside like a constantly teeming mass of starships docking and undocking. The long, distinctive tails of many Metrovick haulers seemed to wind about like eels swimming through coral. The very space itself around the station was full of life, down to the swarming Apis tugs that performed every duty from pulling the Metrovicks back to where they could move free of the cluster or shifting the many containers from one freighter to another to simply sitting on station while engineers and technicians worked EVA along the outside of the station. From a distance, it had the appearance of a mass of insects, but as the ships neared, the sheer massive size of the station was daunting. From one end to the other, she was almost two kilometers across, an area spiderwebbed by piers or halls, and ships moving slowly through the morass under the watchful gaze of three different Force cruisers, including their supporting craft. It was their duty to be sure that the station ran without issue, and only rarely did they do more than simply hang in space, scans swinging across the nearby vessels.

The I.C.S. Corsican, however, had drawn their attention. Several times now, they had caught a partially concealed transmission from the vessel, headed out of the Huerdaen domain, and clearly not of Huerdaen origin. Twice, they swept the ship personally in search of the device, but had been unable to find it. Now, three ships hung in front of the vessel, staring it down, refusing to allow the ship to unload its cargo until the device was found, while the crew within scrambled and argued over the course of action. Each cargo container had been disconnected in turn, taken away, while the Force waited for the signal to reappear. Each, in turn, had been dismissed, until only the Metrovick cab itself had remained, with the small crew stewing over the time they had lost. The captain had raged for two days straight now at the costs associated with disconnecting, prepping, checking, and offloading the cargo one container at a time, a job he had to pay others to do until he could locate the cause of the transmission. Unfortunately, without specialized gear, the device was nearly impossible to locate.

Given enough time, it was possible the Force could have found it, but unfortunately, they lacked that time.

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Our entire campaign had been woven around such misdirection and subterfuge, half of our own fleet did not even know where the hammer would fall first. The decision to use our new weapons was a controversial one, but one I felt was justified. Without their logistics base in the sector, it was expected Huerdaen forces would fold within a matter of weeks, if not days. To this day we don't know exactly how effectively our strategy worked, but we all know what happened next.
-Personal logs of Phia-sa (fmr.) Somtaaw Silas uln-Jalaat, Chronicle of the Second Expedition

“Incoming data dump,” said the mind-voice of the Miidnal.

“Compile and report,” said Silas absently, his focus upon the board in front of him. Weathered hands rubbed his bearded chin, and he grinned. “Move Blue H-7 north. Assault Blue K-7 from the south, assist with east and west, capture Red Herald. Ketch.”
Phia S'jet Lara luun-Sholeh uttered something rather unbecoming of a military officer, then glowered at Silas.

“It is fortunate that I am better in actual combat than at katchat, my Phia-sa.”

“It is also fortunate that I do not play for money, Phia. You may take your time to contemplate your next move. Miidnal, report.” Silas' windswept bluff reality vanished, and he suddenly found his mind-self floating in space. He rotated his body, and found himself looking “downward” at the Milky Way galaxy. Colored dots and lines began to appear and stretch throughout the cosmos, representing various major and minor political entities and military assets. One gold light burned brightly, not too distant from the blue lines of Kiith influence.

“FleetInt has confirmed the telemetry from our agent,” said the Miidnal.

“We have the target, then,” stated Silas confidently.

“Sensor data indicates large numbers of civilian and military traffic utilizing this station as a relay point between the eastern frontier and the rest of the Empire.” Silas found himself “falling” towards the star, zooming in at mind-numbing speeds. He suddenly found himself floating at the center of busy shipping lanes, massive freighters moving towards and away from a massive spiderweb of rock and ice and metal. Silas applied filters overlaying his virtual vision, identifying military vessels in red. “Huerdaen hull classification of 'cruiser', identified as Imperial Force. Three battlegroups arrayed in interdiction formations in regular patrol patterns. Constant active scans. Translight inhibition field will disrupt any Slipstream jump out to six kilometers.”

“Irrelevant data, then. Analysis on defensive systems?”

“Unknown. Likely strong deflection shielding and point-defense arrays. Primary threat to assault group will be from Imperial mobile assets.”

Silas' mental avatar consciously took a breath, and he flooded his organic brain with a quick burst enriched oxygen. Neurochemical levels returned to normal as the exercise flushed his system, and he allowed himself a rare clear thought.

“Very well then. Assemble the Phiamid.”

The stars and manmade objects around him disintegrated into tiny motes of light. He was once more upon his windswept bluff, his assembled officers and their attendant SIs filtering in from the hazy mist that surrounded them. “I trust you have all received the dump.” They murmured their agreements as his mental environment interpreted them taking their seats. “We will not have an opportunity like this again. The Star Empire has had years to prepare for this. They have an expertly formed strategic perimeter. Their battlegroups are arranged to protect against multiple simultaneous threats, without leaving any obvious flank unguarded.

"You have all seen the analysis, my Phiada. Without this logistical hub, their ability to reinforce their garrisons and respond to our assaults will be severely hindered. By the time they could recover, we can be in position and entrenched; preparing for our next offensive. We will be in perfect position to threaten a half dozen systems without warning, forcing the Huerdaen to defend all of them. Our supply lines will be secure, while they will have to rebuild theirs; and, perhaps most importantly, the great Huerdaen Star Empire will have been dealt a devastating defeat by what this galaxy will see as a tiny, nearly insignificant power. I know you have reservations about this operation. About sending our forces into an offensive against one of the largest and most aggressive empires this galaxy sports, all without the aid of our home fleets.

“However, we all know what is at stake. We know that eventually, we will have to face the Star Empire. Better it be now, when the advantage is ours, than at a time and place of their choosing. My Phiada, as Phia-sa of the second Kiith Federation Expeditionary Force, by the power invested in me by the Daiamid of the Kiith Federation issue the following order: enact Operation 'Lamon Skaal-Fa'.”

---

The fleet yards around Coruc-Tel's sole habitable planet were truly something to behold. Opting for more distributed design, the world had become encircled by glittering halos of power receivers, relay stations, refineries, matter fabrication bays, orbital barracks, habitation stations, munitions dumps, and ship berths. All these yards were connected by long umbilicals of mag-lev elevators to the surface of the planet. Floating amongst these distributed yards were the massive, far more contiguous mobile shipyards operated by the various Kiith fleets, along with dozens of nearly two-kilometer long yewonroztda - “war sailers”. These war sailers had served as the go-to warship of the Kiith Federation for generations, being constantly refitted and redesigned to keep up with the break-neck pace of technological advancement. Accompanied by their attendant groups of “pok” drone frigates, one class or another of war sailers had participated in every major engagement of the Kiith Federation since its foundation.

Today, something new emerged.

One by one, large rectangular canisters that had for all intents and purposes appeared to be aforementioned munitions dumps burst open in a hail of shaped-charge bursts and glittering ring-carbon. From within their shadowy depths floated seemingly innocuous shapes. They were long and relatively thin, glittering radiator fins protruding from their boxy structures just above their oversized fusion engines. Bulbous superstructures jutted out in aesthetically unpleasing ways along the center of the bodies, and their forward hulls were marred by a sea of receivers and ice-shielded sensor dishes. As one, they puffed out bursts of rapidly-cooling gas and floated “downwards” relative to their orbital planes; descending from the glittering halos and the watchful gaze of the war sailers. Heat bloomed within their bellies, and electromagnetic signals began bouncing between them. A single command, tagged with Phia-sa Somtaaw Silas uln-Jalaat's identification code, filtered through the local FleetNet to the odd vessels.

“All keeyevdokpok – deploy.”

As one, they vanished from Coruc-Tel's orbit in a burst of Hawking radiation.

---

Silently, methodically, every single non-contiguous bit of matter was cataloged and prioritized by unfeeling minds. Unfathomable volumes of information passed between them as they compared notes, made refinements, and reached a consensus. The the systems of the Leikaaus-series keeyevdokpok were little more than a (admittedly advanced) tactical decision computer hooked to an advanced multispectral active/passive detection suite, coupled with a small-scale Slipstream drive and navigational system. They were designed to be cheap and disposable, able to strike deep against unsuspecting targets while freeing up more valuable assets for other duties.

One hundred and twenty of the four-hundred meter drones now silently bore down on floating deep-space city known as Illis from three directions. Their consesus reached, they enacted their most critical protocol. From each vessel sprang six cylindrical canisters. They sprang away on jets of gas, floating outwards as the keeyevdokpok continued accelerating towards the station. A few minutes passed. Six more canisters broke away from their parents. More minutes passed. This time, seven canisters broke away. As the keeyevdokpok began to break their seemingly haphazard formations, a single thicker cylinder was released, and the drones jumped away.

The groups of canisters activated simultaneously, nine separate volleys from three different directions at the station. The foreward most group shifted direction and began bearing down on the three cruisers and their groups. The middle group began targeting individual freightors and the outermost infrastructure of the station. The final group barreled down upon the heart of the station itself. The missile carriers entered their final stage and broke apart. Anti-counter missile munitions took the lead, racing ahead to blunt any Huerdaen active defense. These were followed by the ECM pods, who began firing their intense broad-focal point lasers in an effort to overload and burn out Huerdaen sensors and communications equipment. Finally came the shepherding guidance pods and their lethal flock – the X-ray laser spitting Kuun-Lamaat missiles.

From behind all three volleys, the single odd-shaped canister deployed by each drone activated. Like the third group of laser heads, these devices bore straight for the heart of the collosal station. Unlike the laser heads, however, these carried an immense fusion warhead on a delayed fuse protected by layers of hardened tungsten and ring carbon armor, meant to drive deep into whatever remained of the station after the laser heads did their work.

---

Light-years away, on the outskirts of the densely-populated system of Mah'Lahn, another reality-warping bubble formed. It spat out a small device, which quickly scanned the system, sent a transmission, and incinerated itself.

Huerdae
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:41 am

Huerdaen Domain, Debris Field of Trade Hub 114-404 "Illis"

The devastation was complete. The fight, what little there had been, had been only enough to allow a handful of freighters to escape the strike. Most had Gated to secure locations nearby, and hung in orbit dragging, waiting for new coordinates to head toward to unload cargo. Some had not had the reach to make such a Gate so soon, and were stuck on sub-light drives out in empty space, screaming distress calls to any who would listen. Some ships had almost no crew on board, or had open containers and no supplies. Some were filled will refugees and crew, with nowhere to go and waiting in panicked fear for whatever may hunt them down. Hundreds, if not thousands, of freight vessels and civilian ships, were strewn about the patch of space, stranded and begging for help from whoever would come. Those that had room offloaded crews of standed ships, in rare acts of heroism, but most were left without help and without vital supplies. The entire sector of the Huerdaen Domain was mobilizing whatever ships they could to try to rescue those in need in a single massive show of the sort of might available to a government controlled by a single will.

And it would take weeks to even begin to understand the losses that they had incurred. What had once been a bustling trade hub now became a nameless series of chunks of rock and metal that floated without purpose. Where before, millions of lives had gone about their business, now a scant few hundred floated without aim or propulsion, kept alive by vaccuum suits or trapped in sealed sections of what remained of the trade hub known as Illis. Such was the devastation that many of the ships that had managed to survive the strike and avoid notice were still in danger from the debris that floated amongst them, tearing through hulls and ending lives in sprays of blood and leaking air. If space had entertained the luxury of screams, Illis would have been a symphony of torment, terror, and grief. It was the single greatest defeat the Star Empire had suffered in decades, and their response was nowhere to be found. The carefully positioned fleets of Sal'Suveen were scattered across the great front that the Kiith endangered, some having even Gated further inward, toward the system of Mah'Lahn, only to realize too late that it put them six hours of out position, with people dying by the minute.

The defenses were in shambles, and many of the supplies that would be needed for war now floated aimlessly in space. Only the foresight of making a few key caches, most importantly in the system of Helstead, gave them any amount of respite. The arrogance of the Empire had earned it a serious wound, but war was rarely won by first blood.

I.M.S. High Charity, Orbit over Foer

Captain Silvoya lay upon the deck of the bridge, curled into a ball with her hands covering her face. Tears washed over the floor of the once-Ataster warship's finely crafted deck, and all around, the scene was similar. Grief, disbelief, surprise, even denial plagued the ship. Crewmen broke silence orders, looking for family members, friends, or any news. They stood at consoles, comforting each other, swearing, or desperately trying to find a way to do something. On the bridge, two members of the Imperial Shield bravely stood guard, one with tears still rolling down his face, as they maintained Silvoya's last order.

Hold here. We cannot go help.

It was the hardest thing she had ever had to say. She had a ship full of dropships, bombers, thousands of people who were begging her to deploy and help them. At the Battle of Foer, she had pulled them out of the fight to rescue men and women from both sides who were stranded, but here, she could not. As much as she wanted to, she could not. Instead, she lay on the ground, face red from crying, and tears streaming down her face, as she listened to the screams, the begging, and the inevitable, abortive crash that led to yet another signal going dead, as sometimes one, sometimes a dozen, or sometimes a hundred lives were extinguished into the empty void of space. But she could do nothing. She was the shield of a whole planet, the last standing guardian of millions more lives. Only the short message from the admiral, and the grim realization that the enemy was still out there kept her in her place.

They didn't commit. This isn't done today. Hold positions. The battle is not yet upon us.

On the surface of the world below her, there were riots, whole mobs of people throwing themselves into pointless fights to keep from feeling so helpless, and they had no idea that it was not yet over. Within her own gropu, She knew there were several brawls. At least one of her destroyers had only a Junior Lieutenant on the bridge, trying to cope through tears and rage, while the rest of the command structure went elsewhere. It was devastating. And what's worse was the realization that she had cried at the loss of station Alpha-01, when her own homeland had faced against the Huerdaen, and the Rethast, and their combined fleet.

But she had not cried this hard. This, was an insult. A taunt. A people she was supposed to protect, and she could do nothing. For Alpha-01, she had tried. High command had told her to stay out of it, and she had nearly gone rogue to find what she wanted to find. Find them she did...and now she serves in a fleet next to them, but here. Here, the brass gave them everything they needed. The young admiral had all the tools in front of him that he needed to bring the fight to the enemy, and yet the enemy had never allowed him to do so. They struck, so much like the Rethast, with a splinter group, devastating, destructive...she shuddered to think of it. She had loved her home, then. She loved her home now.

Is this how Empires die?

Gritting her teeth, she fought her way to her feet, kicking her command chair so brutally that after only a quarter turn, it bent the turntable it was on, locking it facing halfway away from the screen. Suitable. A damaged chair, for a damaged people. We're hurt now, but we're not out of it.

With tears streaming down her face, she turned to the Operations officer, who was slumped down behind his chair with his head in his hands, and barked an order at him.

"Senior! Get a message to the world below. We're not abandoning them. Let them know that we suspect a secondary assault. There was word of an enemy probe in Mah'Lahn - the Home Fleet can handle that, that's not our job. We are staying here. We're their shield until that turtle goes up, so let's be a shield. This has finally started. Enact combat protocols across all ships. I want command staff at bridges. Get all Infantry not required for shipboard garrison onto the planet's surface, and get our bombers out of the bays. Run two sorties over the cities, let our people know we're still here. We're hurt, but we're not down. Let's restore the order that the Star Empire is made for. We will endure this. I lost one home already, I am damn well done!"

Slamming her fist down, she coded out a message to Sal'Suveen, even as she was starting to get unreasonably tardy acknowledgements from her destroyers and squadrons. It was a show of force, for them as much as anyone, but it was her fleet. Her people. They needed it as much as the enemy did. With the Force deploying below to put down the disturbances, she had to make it at least appear like they were still in control. That order still ruled this world. The message to Sal'Suveen, several minutes late in coming, was simple and grim, lacking the normal good nature of the Ataster captain, but it got her point across. She was Huerdaen, now. She would not let her people fall.

"Orders acknowledged, Admiral. We hold position at Foer. You will have the time you need."
Last edited by Huerdae on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Carnage filled his very being. Every sense screamed of the slaughter. Sensor platforms dropped by the keeyevdokpok filtered bursts of unencrypted, in the clear cries for help. Screams against the inevitability of crumbling rock and burning metal. Pleading for someone, anyone, to assist the dying.

One by one, they were snuffed out.

The mission was a resounding success.

Silas withdrew his consciousness from that scene of destruction and gore, giving orders to the platforms to self-destruct. No doubt a relief force would be on its way to the trade station. Several of the phiada had suggested sending a second strike force to eliminate these would-be rescuers once they were engaged in recovery operations. A secondary blow to cripple an already-weakened resolve. This, however, had been decided against. Not over any moral objections, of course. This was war, and one who allowed compassion toward one's enemy invited one's own demise. No, the keeyevdokpok were emerging from slipspace rifts above Coruc-Tel now, and would need time to rearm. Once they had, they would be needed elsewhere. Silas had already grasped the reality of what he had done. The Huerdaen Star Empire was knocked back on its heels. Assuming his intelligence was right, their ability to reinforce and project their will over a large swath of star systems had been seriously hindered. It wouldn't last, and further strikes would be needed to keep the vast Star Navy on the defensive. Silas couldn't rule out the possibility that, once his pieces had moved, the Empire would decide to throw its full weight against Coruc-Tel in an attempt to either destroy or even capture the slipgate and, thus, the Kiith Federation's foothold in this galaxy. While Silas was confident in the system's defenses, he truly did not wish to ever have to test them.

The forces at his command spread out in front of him. Clan fleets, broken down into task forces, further down into squadrons, and then into individual vessels. It distressed Silas how much politics had played into the decisions of which units he now called upon. The Sobani were always first into combat, that was as much tradition as it was good strategy; after that, however, he had needed to satisfy numerous petitions and demands. After all, one Kiith's role in an invasion could determine how much priority their firms would get in the subsequent reconstruction and modernization of a conquered world.

However, after far more debate than he would have liked, and more than a little strongarming on his part, this had all been settled. Squadrons of war sailers, their attendant puppet ships, flights of skirmishers, and leviathan logistics ships and transports floated in his vision. Hundreds of thousands of ground support assets waited, secured and powered down, for the chance to make landfall. There were literally hundreds of personnel awaiting his order.

The time had come, of course. His hand had been committed with the attack on Illis. By the three, his hand had been committed when his brother had first ordered him to this sands-forsaken galaxy. Regardless, the order still had to be given.

“Operation Nikarr-Tuun is now executed. First wave, deploy.”

---

The interplanetary space beyond Foer's gravity well was, as the vast majority of space of course was, completely devoid of anything interesting. Occasionally, it served to fill the space between Foer and its nearest inner planetary sibling, but most of the time it was only the vacuum through which the primary G star shot its stellar wind. At that particular moment, however, something mildly interesting was occurring. A meteroid, roughly the size of a human infant's head, was but two orbits away from beginning its death spiral into the system's sun. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on the point of view of the meteorite, which no one ever really bothered to obtain), it never got the chance. Waves of Hawking radiation announced the arrival of fifteen gray-black shapes, each about a quarter of a light second apart, into the space between Foer and its star. Defense screens snapped on, and in a burst of thermal energy, the meteroid was vaporized. Around each double-arrowhead shape, two dozen smaller shapes emerged. Hundreds of small, ovoid shapes rocketed away from each group on trajectories that would let the propagate through the planetary system. Targeting lasers lashed out, searching for targets.

“Hostile vessels identified, my Jak'sa,” murmured the mind-voice of Jak'phi Soban Kursan uln-Niirfan. “We make one capital ship, four lighter attack vessels, and several smaller combatants distributed in a high orbit. We can deal with them easily.”

“Release of weapons is authorized, Jak'phi,” came the response.

Three of the large yewonrozt aimed themselves towards the Huerdaen picket – itself already arranged in a defensive posture – and shuddered as missile pods were accelerated from their hulls. Just as their ilk had done against Illis, they blossomed into a lethal rain of self-guided missiles, who began homing in on individual targets and bombarding them with bursts focused radiation.

“This is Soban Mortuum uln-Jesset to Fleet Command,” intoned Jak'sa Soban Irfriit luun-Soosii passionlessly. “We have engaged the enemy. Stand by additional waves.”

Huerdae
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:04 pm

I.M.S. High Charity, Orbit over Foer

It wasn't more than a few minutes following her report to the Commodore that the enemy came at them. She had been slumped in her now-bent sideways chair, trying to maintain control of her forces as they sat quietly in Geo-synchronous orbit directly over where the Xuan-Wu lay concealed below the largest urban center of the planet Foer. The news was jarring, and the woman looked up to see the viewslit light up, highlighting the foes with tactical information even as they began launching their salvos. The time for crying was over, and she immediately pounded out orders to be broadcast aboard the ship. Somehow, she felt the pain falling away, and she grit her teeth, giving orders to their escorts.

"All units, form up in standard escort patterns. Bomber units, arm and prep warheads for launch. Helm, bring us up to face them. Tactical, I need an estimate on chance to hit at this range."

The man gritted his teeth, quickly working through the firing solution, and snarling back an annoyed answer, clearly wanting to fire on the enemy even as the foe's missiles streaked toward them. "I give it forty-percent, ma'am. A hit on a smaller target is more likely to be a kill, but less likely a hit."

She nodded, selecting the target just off-center of the lead, aiming to open a hole in the enemy formation and not even needing to verbally complete the order as the High Charity shook, firing the first round in response to the enemy attack. It was a simple KKV, and a long flight time, but it was more symbolic than anything, and she immediately followed by attempting to turn her chair to operations, though the device just groaned and stayed still. Lacking the patience for the device, she simply stood.

"Tactical, I need a flak wall started NOW. Operations, contact the planet. Get that Turtle up, we are engaging the enemy. We'll buy time."

The ship began to shake and shudder as the weapons along her hull roared to life, but nestled in the protective command center, she could only barely feel the vibrations as the ship continued to roar to life. She even imagined, as she had before, that she could hear the power surging through the mighty, trustworthy ship that had protected her in battle over this world before.

It was then that she realized it. She had received no comm traffic, and the destroyers that served as their escort had formed up, but not acknowledged orders. It was standard, all of it. Something they'd do without orders. And they probably had none. A glance at Operations revealed a concerned face from the officer, and she realized immediately the problem.

"We're out on communications. Check FTL, Ops, do we have that?"

A surprised glance was followed by a nod, and Silvoya grit her teeth. "Contact the Xuan-Wu, let them know to come live!"

The response was hesitant, and seemed to take forever to say, as she could see the missiles still streaking toward them, each second taking an eternity as the crew worked to organize every part of the vessel. She could already hear the heavy doors slamming down on board the ship, readying her for combat and sealing off the sections. "Ma'am, the turtle isn't carrying FTL comm gear. Best I can get is planetary government."

Silvoya stopped, and just snarled, turning back to her tactical officer. "Five rounds, planetary surface, NOW. Hit near the city, but don't plaster anyone. I just need something to shake it awake!"

The man blinked, looking up from his attempts to target the oncoming craft, but nodded, quickly sending out the orders. Within an instant, he nodded and she waited the three short breaths before Ops called out, excited. "He's coming online! I've got a massive power spike, the Turtle's reactor is kicking on. I've got ten minutes, forty-seven seconds to full shield coverage, ma'am!"

With a slight grin, she turned her face back to the enemy, narrowing her eyes as streaks of fire from planetary batteries also began to fill the area between them and the enemy volley. Within half a minute they'd be passing through it into live enemy fire, and the fight proper.

And there she stopped, clenching her fist. Snapping her fingers at Operations, she revised her orders in an instant. "Hold up, signal the group. All bombers, get down to the surface, under the shield cover. Are all our Rocs and Talons out?"

"No ma'am! Shield countermanded the order, they're keeping skeleton levels on the ship. Policy dictates unless we're ditching..."

Silvoya cut her off there, nearly screaming before she realized she did it. "We ARE ditching the ship, you idiot? High Charity is the sacrifice we make for Foer. Get them OFF. MY. SHIP!"

There was a moment of hesitation, and the two Shield officers behind her exchanged looks, but within seconds, they were jogging on their way off the bridge. She didn't have time to celebrate. "We're not sticking in this fight longer than we have to. You have confirmation on the message to the Commodore?"

"Aye Ma'am" It was helm, but he wasn't finished, helping organize orders where Operations was trying to keep up. "But we're getting reports that there's not enough hangar space under the shield for our bombers. We're putting them down in civilian ports to hold until combat."

She started, and waved him off immediately. "Belay that. If they're putting down outside the shield, have them dump the ENTIRE payload out of the atmosphere. I can't have bombs sitting live on our own decks. Once that's done, fit every squadron we have under that shield. Close the roads if we have to, but put them down. Crash land what we have to."

The man nodded immediately, and began relaying orders, but she blinked, realizing that they, too, were carrying antimatter munitions. Right in the heart of their ship. "Tactical, I want you to dump all ammies. Rockets, spinal rounds, I don't want any antimatter on board two minutes from now."

Another confirmation flicked up on the screen as her orders were showing statuses. The heavy flak wall before them, prepared for protection from such long range attacks, was almost ready, but they were out of time. The first blast flashed across the shielding and she averted her eyes, but it was only moments away from the rest. The viewslit immediately darkened, re-updating the information where they could see, and blocking out the unimportant blasts that struck across the shielding.

And for a moment, she was caught in the moment. Standing there, she could see it all. The bombers below, hurling their payloads harmlessly toward the stars, the enemy fire lancing through the interdicting flak screen, blowing past the shielding barriers that had been thrown up in the open area between them, deflecting for just a moment to weaken or soak the blast before they expired. Still, it seemed like hundreds of blasts struck at the shielding in seconds, battle was truly joined, the ship shook and bucked beneath her. Grabbing onto the back of her chair, Silvoya willed herself to stay standing, realizing how foolish it was. The Huerdaen always said, there are no heroes in space, only frozen corpses. Still, it can't hurt to keep my feet.

Below the belly of the ship, massive flashes began to string along the ozone of the planet as the small antimatter rockets that they used to reload the bombers she normally carried cooked off during the fall, streaking a massive line across the sky over the largest city. Some of their own ships began to flicker out, as blasts that missed the High Charity arced into some of the dropships still descending, or a talon got caught in the blazes of munitions. It didn't matter now. Now, they were in battle.

"Kill the FTL system! I need that power for shields, we're not getting out of here. It'll cut us off from the rest, but High Charity needs it."

Glancing at the readout, it already showed that of their four destroyers, two were down. One had been hit early, flying straight through a blast and going dead. Her corpse was spiraling toward the world below already. The other lay dead behind the Charity, her command modules shut down and life signs barely reading. With luck, she'd crash, or the crew would be able to get to the second Roc on board and make their way to the planet. That was not her concern. Her concern was the destroyer on her right, the Terror-Class that valiantly was trying to combat enemy ECCM, disrupting what little targeting it could and buying them time. It was that small ship that she focused her attention on, indicating the sector for tactical.

"We can't afford to lose Animal Pain, Senior! I need you to focus additional coverage in that area!"

The man blinked, started to do so, then stopped. "Ma'am, that's leaving our nose open for a direct strike."

Nodding, Silvoya took a deep breath, and nodded. "Yes, it is. Engineering, how's that FTL system, is it down?"

An affirmative appeared on the screen, and she turned to look at the officer at tactical, a younger man who nodded, shakily. Slowly, he keyed in the commands with a grimace, sparing a glance at the viewslit to watch the guns slowly traverse, covering the new focus to protect their only significant counter-measure to the sheer mass of missiles coming their way.

Silvoya watched, her face falling. Any other ship, any other day, I would take my crew over any other. But here, now...it's the only choice. An Ataster ship, the first captured by the Huerdaen, stands guarding a Kiith world, also captured by the Huerdaen. The only ship in the Huerdaen fleet still using straight Ataster shielding, standing guard. The only ship that could possibly take the beating.

Looking down, she knelt in front of the chair, and pressed her lips to the back of the seat, kissing it. Quietly, she whispered. "Thank you, girl."

And promptly, the ship rocked, throwing her face-first into the metal chair, tearing a gash in her face from upper lip to forehead, just missing her eye. Even through the blood, she could see the tactical officer trying not to laugh, as she stood again. "Give me everything you've got, Engineering. She has to hold. Charity Has to hold."

The drip of her blood on the floor seemed somehow suitable, as the next volley of blasts tore through the flak field, striking the bow of the ship with renewed vigor.

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:42 am

“Reading parasite craft detachment, looks like they're making hard burns to the surface. Jak'phi! We have confirmed enemy weapon discharge upon the planet!”

“Barbarians,” cursed Kursan in response to his sensor officer's report. “Weapons, direct several of our Skaal-Fada to engage the parasite craft, and I want some Kuun-Lamaatda focused on carving that hulk up,” with a thought, he highlighted the dead destroyer caught in Foer's gravity well. “Make sure what's left burns up in the atmosphere.”

The war sailer Soban Liiset uln-Maarta shuddered as another volley tore free of its launchers. Kursan smiled inwardly. The Huerdaen defenses were far beneath what Fleet Intelligence had predicted. That smile faltered as a kinetic slug fired by the enemy capital ship cored one of his missile drones, causing its fuel to cook off in a brief fireball three-hundred kilometers off the Lisset's port hull. With a thought, he redirected two dozen of his ship's probes to increase their scanning in the intervening space between the Imperial Navy picket and the Sobani task force. That had been a sloppy mistake. Immediately, his 'sailer's formation broke up and began maneuvering in a seemingly random fashion. At this range, he mused, any further hits by the enemy's kinetics would have to be acts of Sajuuk Himself.

“Second squadron,” came the mental orders of the Jak'sa. “We have identified significant electromagnetic interference coming from one of the enemy vessels. It is causing an unacceptable drop in our missiles' hit-to-miss ratio. Focus fire on this vessel.”

“Acknowledged, my Jak'sa,” murmured Kursan. He sent the order to his weapons' officer, and watched as his ship's volley's trajectory subtly altered. Half of the missiles now focused themselves upon the destroyer emitting so much jamming. Another half of his volley tore themselves away from the remaining destroyer and focused on the cruiser which, if the thermal readings were correct, was focusing its point-defense fire to try and save its destroyer comrade. Admirable, but foolish. Not only had the cruiser left its own hull vulnerable, but it had identified the destroyer as a valuable target. As he watched, Osheklam-Koya pods broke free of their accelerator busses and began saturating their targets in radiation designed to burn out sensors and communication equipment. Skaal-Fa missiles, originally designed for point-defense, raced headlong into the interdicting flak fire to try and bring their hundreds of lasing rods to bear on the dropships and bombers now racing for the planet's surface. Once they made it deeper into the atmosphere, Foer's own protective bubble would diffuse the lasers too much to be of much effect. Several hundred Kuun-Lamaat missiles fired their barrages into the falling destroyer, their computers calculating ideal points of impact to break the hulk into pieces small enough to burn up before making landfall. The vast majority, however, focused their fire onto the High Charity and the Animal Pain.

The communications receiver came to life once more, and again Kursan heard the voice of Jak'sa Soban Irfriit luun-Soosii.

“This is Soban Mortuum uln-Jesset to Fleet Command. No enemy reinforcements detected. Clear to deploy second wave. Repeat. Clear to deploy second wave.”

---

“...Repeat. Clear to deploy second wave.”

Phia'sa Somtaaw Silas uln-Jalaat let out a mental breath he had not realized he had been holding, then chastised himself for it. He had feared sending such a small first wave. The Huerdaen Star Empire's ability to quickly redeploy ships within a star system was well known, and it had been argued that ships could easily hide outside of sensor range long enough to jump several dozen kilometers off the task force and engage them where the Kiith weapons were at their poorest. He had done his best, made sure the ships had emerged from the Slipstream at such intervals that as many yewonroztda as possible could safely engage any such tactical jump at optimal range. He had staggered his forces into multiple waves, so that the majority of his forces would be able to engage the enemy with as much information as possible.

Once again, it seemed, his overplanning would be for naught. Thank the Tester.

He had tasked three additional war sailer squadrons for this mission, meaning a full third of his available yewonroztda would soon be orbiting Foer. He would have preferred to triple that number, but had to ensure the existing Kiith holdings in this galaxy could have an ample response force available. It would have to do. A squadron each from Kiiths Somtaaw, Paktu, and Nabaal now charged their slipstream drives and vanished from Coruc-Tel's orbit.

---

Fifteen additional twin-arrowhead profiles of Kontala-series war sailers along with their attendant drone frigates appeared in the Foer system, and immediately began launching volleys of missiles at the beleaguered defenders. Additionally a quartet of, long, thin craft with dozens of spokes coming off their hulls arrived after them. Atop each spoke sat a diamond-shaped craft with radiator fins sprouting from it. These detached from their spokes and began accelerating in-system ahead of the war sailers. As they began approaching the flak screen, each skirmisher began lancing out at the Huerdaens with hull-mounted laser emitters.

From the lead Sobani ship, the Soban Mortuum uln-Jesset, a message began transmitting in the clear in the Galactic Standard trade language.

“This is Jak'sa Soban Irfriit luun-Soosii of the Kiith Federation Expeditionary Force to all Huerdaen vessels and to the Huerdaen occupational force upon the surface of Foer. You have been found in illegal occupation of an independent system under the protection of the Kiith Federation. Star Navy vessels, you are outnumbered and possess insufficient strength to resist us. You are hereby ordered to cease fire and abandon ship immediately. Do so and you shall not be harmed. Illegal occupational government, instruct your garrison to lay down their arms and surrender. Do so and you shall not be harmed. You will be given no further warnings. Soban Mortuum uln-Jesset, clear.”

Huerdae
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:48 am

I.M.S. High Charity, Decaying Orbit over Foer

Almost immediately after the fire shifted from her own bow to cover the Animal Pain, Silvoya felt the ship shudder under a direct hit. The sheer level of weapons-fire directed against them was intense, and she found herself grasping the command chair to stay on her feet as yet another direct hit was scored on the High Charity. It had been a desperate fight at best, but they had made their preparations. As it stood, the Ataster shielding that set the High Charity apart continued to hold, diffusing the enemy hits into little more than a particularly expensive and dangerous light display that intermittently disrupted their sensors over sections of the ship. It could not, however, last. This became abundantly clear as a single loud crack lance through the ship, and for a second, Silvoya's feet started to lift up off the ground in reaction to her body stiffening. A grim thought ran through her head as she realized a hit had struck within the shielding, but almost immediately the system began operating again, and she dropped to the deck quickly.

Even before she realized it, she had rounded on Operations. "What hit us, Ops?"

The response was frantic. "It was our ammo stores, Ma'am. We're dumping them too fast, some of the ammies cooked off within our shield barrier!"

There was no time to assigning blame, and the tactical officer, for all he had been doing, was fumbling at the controls. It wasn't worth the effort, she needed him at his best, and anything more would impact that. she never even turned to face him, instead returning her eyes to the forward display. "How bad was the hit?"

There was a moment's hesitation before the report came back. "Minor system faults that were quickly repaired. Life Support, artificial gravity. Positional thrusters along the ventral facing, and a momentary lapse in port-side overt fire control."

The last was reported with grim knowledge of what it meant, but the destroyer that had been there had already taken action. At the deployment of the skirmishers, the Rage-Class Last Damned Heart had hit her boosters and surged forward to engage, her unreasonably sized rotating spinal weapon hurtling round after round at the enemy craft. Her shielding, as well as positioning, left her exposed between the fleets, trying to engage the vessels with little to no hope of victory. She was outnumbered, but deadly, each round capable of shattering armor and blasting through energy barriers as she strafed along the exposed enemy ships.

Still, she was a rhino charging into a pride of lions, and fire came at her from all sides as she vainly tried to protect the faltering flak field. Energy beams lanced against her shielding even as rounds tore through emptiness and metal alike, but the brave defense was short-lived. An unfortunate turn to avoid a blast from a Kuun Lamaat sent the ship reeling into yet another blast, searing along the port side of the vessel. At the rear, the engines faltered, sputtering twice with angry red defiance, and failed, leaving the ship hurtling through the darkness with damaged shields. The vain shots from her spinal were little defense against the oncoming death as the next three blasts struck home on the tumbling craft, coring it and spilling what little remained of the atmosphere into the empty void of space, leaving the hulk in it's damned spiral toward the sun, empty and bereft of life in moments.

Through it all, the Animal Pain dodged and weaved behind High Charity, but the position was faltering. Without her positioning thrusters, the cruiser was starting to lose altitude, with gravity pulling her toward the planet like a fish being drawn to the fisherman. Those thrusters that still operated fought against it, rolling the ship and fighting, but with half the fire control down, she dared not reposition. And then, in a single terrible moment, the Animal Pain went silent. The blast that tore through the reactor of the Animal Pain turned the vessel into a burning wreck as it plummeted almost immediately into the upper atmosphere, joining the dropships, talons, and bombers that still labored to reach the surface. All around, the unskilled, unprepared, or simply unlucky went from living to dead in a flash and scream, leaving dozens of small craft wreathed in fire and plummeting to the city below. Here and there a bomber would suffer from its ammunition tearing it apart, and a white flash could be seen, even as far out as the Kiith firing line.

It left High Charity alone and struggling in orbit, her belly red hot as she still labored in the losing fight against gravity, and her shield visible with each lancing hit. Through the rumbling, the roar of the ship laboring against the atmosphere below, and shaking of the cruiser as she still labored to strike at the skirmishers that tore at her protective wall, Silvoya heard the Kiith's demands, and rage filled her. The sheer arrogance of it insulted her, the thought that they believed that she would risk her people's lives if she didn't know that retribution would come to take them. Each burning dropship that tumbled into the city below angered her more as she stood, defiant, watching as strikes started to tear through the shielding and finally strike at the hull of the ship that had been her home since before she wore the Dread Black. Even the wrecks of the destroyers were left with no survivors, killed without a chance for some inhuman reason. Her face turned a deep red with rage as she took a moment to respond.

"You come to our home now, Kiith. This system stopped being 'protected' by your Federation when you chose to abandon everything you had in this galaxy and leave. At that time, the Star Empire no longer recognized any treaties made with any Independent Systems. Just as any agreement held with the Star Empire was forced to be re-created, any agreement with any other system is expected to be re-created before it is recognized. No such agreement has been made."

Swallowing, she watched as critical alarms began to blare, signalling that the ship was beginning to tumble into the atmosphere, no longer able to maintain her position and threatening to fall upon the city below. There was no way to hide the noise from the comm line, and she simply didn't care. The main boosters burned at full capacity, pushing the ship ever so slowly away from the city as system after system began to falter. High Charity was now in such an orbit that fires began to spread across the hull where the blasts tore at the skin of the ship.

The ship was now plummeting, a massive fireball headed toward the outskirts of the city as the boosters overheated and burned out. The engineering group scrammed the reactor, leaving Silvoya with little more than a box of metal around herself and what few remained on the vessel that had not burned from enemy fire or fled. With it, the last few systems of the ship failed, leaving it falling, even artificial gravity and life support no longer operating. Only the emergency signal was still showing life, as Silvoya burned the batteries of the dead ship to speak to her foe.

"Let me be clear, Jak'sa Soban Irfriit luun-Soosii." Her mouth fumbled around the awkward name, but the hostility was easily recognizable in her voice.

"I am not dead yet. You have come for this world, you have killed my people. You are my enemy. You will be my enemy until you leave our worlds, and pay for the blood you have spilled. If you want to end this...." she smirked, looking around "...I'm sure you'll be able to find me. You will have to come, yourself, and kill me."

At that point, the massive ship lurched, an unknown force resisting the fall, and crushing the rear ventral quarter as the ships uneven descent was suddenly arrested at the rear. Now blocked, the nose dropped sharply until it, too slammed into the shimmering blue barrier that blocked it's path. The impact barely slowed the vessel as it began to traverse along the curvature of the shield, with the people within being thrown wildly about inside their metal cage. Black steel groaned as friction slowed the front and the rear again lifted, only to tip to one side while the High Charity turned a headlong slide into a long roll, dropping off the edge of the shield like garbage discarded to the ground. Where it landed, the massive vessel annihilated the ground below, crushing dozens of homesteads and falling still, a metal tomb which still burned and cast smoke into the air. But above the city, and above nearly a full 8th of the world, the massive Xuan-Wu theater shield shimmered like a diamond, hexagonal segments deflecting the shattered remains of the battle group as they still tumbled from orbit like they were nothing but a light rain.

It was then that the planning became apparent. The Huerdaen had moved nearly 90% of the planet's population under this massive barrier, sheltering them from the coming fight and protecting them out of reach of the enemy. The Imperial Shield that had reached the ground were already beginning preparations for war, meeting up with the Imperial Force around their cruiser that already was upon the surface, and hundreds of thousands of volunteers, mercenaries, and militiamen who were defending homes and way of life. Within sight of the burning wreck of the High Charity, the buildings and defenses of Foer stood strong, waiting for the next wave.

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:48 am

The skies of Foer opened up with a transmission, a single high-intensity burst of radiation emanating from the heart of the Kiith fleet.

“As you wish.”

Skirmishers altered vector, turning their oversized fusion engines away from the debris of the Huerdaen vessels and away from the shattered remains of three of their own and towards the station in Foer orbit. It posed no threat, but a good strategic position regardless. Kuun-Lamaat missiles which could fired their reaction-control systems, turning their own drives towards the planet and beginning counter-acceleration maneuvers to achieve a high orbit above the planet. A makeshift minefield, deterring any Huerdaen craft which may try to reinforce the besieged world. Yewonroztda and their attendant vessels did similarly, taking up stationary orbits to provide both fire support and to defend the anticipated prize.

The Kiith guns, however, fell silent.

That, however, is when the night sky lit up with the flares of plasma exhaust. Transport ships – dozens, then hundreds, emerged above the world.

---

“We are detecting a disturbance in the atmosphere of the target,” said the mind-voice of Jak'phi Soban Triiten uln-Baasta, commanding officer of the lead mothership. “Confirmed, it is an energy field. Given what the our probes saw of it absorbing the impact of that Star Navy vessel, we believe it is sufficient to deflect any bombardment.”

The grumbling amongst Silas' phiada had already begun. “The Huerdaen had too long to prepare after our initial attack,” Silas heard on the edge of his perception. “Irfriit brought the task force out too far from the planetary system.”

“Their capabilities are still somewhat unknown. She felt caution was the wiser course of action.”

“She is as timid as she is stupid.”

“Prepare your forces for a surface attack, Jak'phi,” ordered Silas, cutting off the argument with a sharp mental rebuke. “Deploy when ready.”

---

Methodically, compartments across the miirharoztda began opening to the vacuum of space; puffs of frozen gas swirling away into Foer's orbit. Sleek, angular shapes floated free, their blackened hulls barely reflecting any light from Foer's primary. They accelerated slightly on bursts of supercooled gas, angling their noses toward the planet and letting gravity do the work. Gradually, but with great precision, cones of friction began forming around each.

One by one, the LKK-27 “Lamon-Cor” interceptors reached their pre-programmed altitudes and activated their main engines. Intakes, normally sealed against interplanetary space, opened and began greedily gulping down the thin air of Foer's upper atmosphere. Each wedge-shaped craft began firing up its eight synergistic air-breathing rocket engines. With the added thrust of the rockets, the cones of heat became veritable fire storms. Flames lapped at the hardened carbon hulls of the Lamon-corda as hundreds of unmistakable fireballs plummeted towards the outskirts of the Xuan-Wu's Aegis shield.

“Hostiles detected,” said the emotionless mind-voice of the Karkuum, Triiten's miirharozt. “Multiple hostiles detected, approaching from the surface.” The second wave of Kiith craft, these far larger and more unwieldy than the Lamon-Corda, had just hit atmosphere. The Huerdaen counter was right on time. Operators sent the order for Lamon-Corda to break formation and engage. The interceptor craft broke off into seemingly random vectors, RADAR and LIDAR lashing at the Huerdaen Scyllas, Blackbirds, and Talons. AR-778 air-to-air missiles streaked out towards their targets, followed by bursts of high-energy ultraviolet beams.

That, however, is when the Kiith guns spoke once more. From the gaping maws of the miirharoztda, missile were flung downward towards the city of Armstrong from electromagnetic catapults before igniting their own tongues of flame. As the warheads separated from their carriers at high-mach, targeting information from the Lamon-Corda began rolling in. The warheads angled in for proximity detonations on the Huerdaen craft as Lamon-Corda – forewarned of each detonation – nimbly dodged and rolled at supersonic speeds.

Meanwhile, the larger craft angled away from the battle, their own rocket engines swiftly taking them towards the surface of Foer. That, however, was when 105mm rail shells began tearing into their ranks and the ranks of the Lamon-Corda which had stuck with them as escort. Imperial Shield Gorgons, their flak cannons spitting metal, emerged from cover and opened up upon the aerial convoy. Shrapnel battered the craft and caused them to break formation to avoid falling victim to area-of-effect attacks, and direct hits shredded the unfortunate craft which fell victim to them.

This, however, was precisely what they had been waiting for.

The bellies of the craft opened to reveal not the vulnerable cargo the Huerdaen gunners no doubt hoped for, but cells of off-axis launched missiles. As more and more decoy transports fell to the withering hail of fire, these missiles launched, following the rail shells back along their trajectories to the artillery pieces that fired them.

---

“First wave is now fully engaged, Jak'phi,” said the Karkuum. “Approach corridors Alef and Haamzeh are now showing free of hostiles.”

Triiten's mind's eye was filled with a topographical view of Armstrong and its outskirts. Two corridors speared the air, neatly circumventing the two aerial battles by several hundred kilometers. Blue and green icons began descending towards the planet along the corridors, transports and their escorts beginning their landings in the targeted zones roughly three hundred kilometers to the north and west of the city.

Edit: Accidentally a word
Last edited by Feazanthia on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Huerdae
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:21 am

Xuan-Wu Entrenched Position
Command HQ for the Second Battle of Foer

With a gesture of her hand, General Vil'Siffa brushed aside the militia strike craft, nodding to the liaison they had from the local forces to pull them back. They had done their part. It was a matter of playing the enemy and leading them to show their hand. It was a game of cat and mouse played with hundreds of lives, with so many more in the balance, but it had done its part, and the strike craft and gunships broke away from the combat, surrendering the airspace around the shield to the Kiith.

And yet, it had been a costly play, however required. The Scylla wasn't a dedicated fighter, like what the Kiith used to escort their craft, and the Talons and Blackbirds couldn't maintain the high-speed engagements the other craft could. It put her at a disadvantage, but spilling the bellies of the first group of transports was a chance she couldn't afford to pass up. Even as they fell back, the craft were taking losses, desperately jinking against the machines that pursued them. Every craft lost was a man down, or more, and she had been forced to do it, just to be sure that the Kiith transports weren't even transports.

The ring of defensive fire that populated what was near the edge of the Aegis barrier that served to protect her troops took as many missiles and craft as they could, but it was still the opening plays. Play a trick, and counter the counter, try to get a step ahead somewhere, and get a step behind somewhere else. It was a balancing act, and it annoyed her to no end.

Out of nowhere, the smell of tea wafted into her nose, and she turned to look at General Vho'Zhalli, offering her a cup of tea, smiling. "Cool it, Vil. You're looking as angry as Kemmler. Just remember that we knew this was coming, that we guessed they'd be playing no end of ruses - that's what war's all about, after all. A thousand men and women die to make sure your enemy is just flashing his gonads, instead of jumping in for a proper thrust."

Carefully pouring some sugar and cream into the cup, he stood next to her and took a sip. "All told, it's going according to plan. That Ataster lady did her job just fine, the shield is up...we didn't even take a single orbital strike in the protected area, and most of the strike craft made it groundside. More than we were prepared to handle, really."

Without thinking, Vil took a sip, glancing at the surprisingly good beverage before she nodded, but her scowl stayed. The crew around them were waiting, of course, as the two talked, but it was something they had grown somewhat used to. During the First Battle of Foer, they had served the two generals almost for the duration, with very few replacements, and it left them used to Vho's...oddities. More importantly, it left them ready to play to the plan, quietly executing orders and really interrupting only for particularly important information. Even when the landing zones were confirmed, it didn't really require interruption. The plan was simple. Locate the zones, and begin the bombardment. Hundreds of artillery pieces roared to life, out of sight and out of earshot, updating her display table, and Vil and Vho stood, sipping tea and gazing at the plan as it unfolded.

The man himself, the senior, and now operating as the advising XO, instead of primary CO as he was in the First Battle of Foer, watched as Vil acted as CO, having been promoted over Vho after the battle in which she served as junior and effective trainee for the position. It had taken most of the war for her to get past the mindset that immediate action and increased stress on her part would allow her to will her units into place any faster. The art of being a general was preparation, and knowing when to change the plan, and when to watch the pieces fall into place. Here, as she watched the information on losses and suspected kills climb, it was time to watch the pieces. The plans were in place, and there wasn't much more she could do.

Now that they had recognized the descent paths, many of the AAA positions had switched to flinging flak into the path of the ships that were descending, leaving antimatter bomblets in the sky hidden among black clouds and shrapnel bursts designed to conceal the bomblets and destroy lesser craft. The enemy countered as they would, and ships died or didn't die. Notifications appeared as the deployment of the nanomachines was completed to the upper atmosphere over the general areas of the landing zones, and she sighed, looking away from the table. Hundreds of kilometers in the distance, death was coming, and she knew it. She was watching for a while before the distant flashes appeared. Too far to see more than that, it was almost underwhelming from where she stood. Multi-megaton explosions became almost inconsequential from this far away as they rippled across the face of the world. It was...almost saddening. Beside her, Vho took another sip as they looked on.

"They still haven't heard from Silvoya."

That startled her out of it, and she looked at the man. "From who?"

He smiled, shaking his head. "Captain Silvoya, of the High Charity. She went down outside the ring. The ship burns, and the reactor scrammed, but we've had no contact from within."

Vil nodded, looking back to the armored viewport, opening her mouth to respond-

And the world went white, with a concussion causing her to take a step back. The thunder of the report caused her shake her head at the ringing. After only a moment, she could see again, but plasma still danced in the air where the massive round had passed. It streaked out, and she could see others doing the same, as other Big Brother positions protected by the shield fired out at the descending ships. It left her ears ringing, causing her to jump as one of her officers touched her shoulder to get her attention, the man's words unnaturally loud as he fought the instinctive response to yell to hear your own voice in their shared half-deafened state.

"Ma'am, we have larger landers coming down. Some sort of heavy landing vehicle."

She nodded, turning to face him with the tea still in her hand, only then realizing that much of it had spilled over her hand. Somehow, Vho had kept his all in the cup. It was another skill of being a general she was sure that he had neglected to teach her. "Have the Big Brothers target them specifically. Bring those down as primary targets. Artillery needs to keep hammering the landing zones, but AAA needs to focus on what they can reasonably bring down."

Awkwardly, she took a sip, but somehow it just made the man smirk. He knew she was trying, though, and moved on. At least he was nice enough not to pick on her for the tea that dripped from her elbow onto Vho's boot.

She sighed, watching as the Big Brother piece tipped its gun skyward, stopping as the loading arm carefully placed the almost unbelievably massive round into the chamber, before the gun started to lower back to horizon. It was almost mesmerizing, with the plasma fire still licking at the tip of the barrel from the heat. Turning her head barely to the side, she nodded to Vho. "Give them the go ahead for rocket barrage as soon as those big landers hit dirt. I want them covered in antimatter munitions as soon as they touch down. Keep them bunkered up. They don't have the turtle, they won't last forever. All we need is a few good hits, and we can clear a zone."

The man was walking away before she was finished, but she didn't mind. It was more for herself than him anyway. He knew how the game was played, and how well they could hold, but this was the first time she was standing in the defense, looking at the enemies coming down all around them. Quietly, she remembered what Vho had said the Commodore had requested.

"Six hours, and we'll be able to help."

No, it wouldn't be six hours. It would be closer to 12 before most of the ISN was back in position. The strike on Illis had shattered their deployment because they were dealing with people, with hearts, and if even a few people lost heart and went to help, that put them back another six hours. Discipline only went so far, when millions of people died.

She made a point to finish her tea before looking back at Vho, trying to determine how the man had managed to avoid spilling the last time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents