NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:53 am

Any of the forums within the National and International Roleplay silo of forums might be of help, if you want to roleplay with the wider world. There are also some dedicated closed-world RP regions which refuse to do business with anyone else - Aeia, Esquarium, the Coalition of Democratic Nations, the Western Isles (to some extent, some of their members do partake in the WA), etc. - as well as regions dedicated to sport (Atlantian Oceania, Rushmore and Esportiva - although the latter's borders have been closed for a while - premier among them).
If you're interested in global affairs, joining and RPing in the World Assembly forums - especially the General Assembly, the more RP-heavy forum - may be for you, whilst the Portal to the Multiverse is the site's hub for roleplay based off non-NSverse events (although it won't be for you, obviously, if you don't like playing with characters other than your own). Hope this helps (to some extent)!
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Shin-Yudaya
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Shin-Yudaya » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:55 am

A friend of mine and I want to start a new RP region for nations with shared geography and history etc..
how should I go about establishing it in the greater RP community?
-koach

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 am

Shin-Yudaya wrote:A friend of mine and I want to start a new RP region for nations with shared geography and history etc..
-koach

My suggestion: through active RPing. I have a little bit more advice in this guide.

But it really comes to actively RPing, frequenting community threads like this one, the modern tech community thread or the post-modern community thread, etc. Ultimately, how well other RPers know you and your region will depend on your in-character presence (do you produce RPs that people like to take part in) and your out-of-character networking.

Edit: Welcome to NS, by the way. It's definitely worth the effort.
Last edited by The Macabees on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Shin-Yudaya
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

Postby Shin-Yudaya » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:59 am

The Macabees wrote:
Shin-Yudaya wrote:A friend of mine and I want to start a new RP region for nations with shared geography and history etc..
-koach

My suggestion: through active RPing. I have a little bit more advice in this guide.

But it really comes to actively RPing, frequenting community threads like this one, the modern tech community thread or the post-modern community thread, etc. Ultimately, how well other RPers know you and your region will depend on your in-character presence (do you produce RPs that people like to take part in) and your out-of-character networking.

Edit: Welcome to NS, by the way. It's definitely worth the effort.

Thanks for the reply!
would a new thread introducing our region in character be approptiate?
if so, in what forum should it go?

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:42 pm

International Incidents and Nationstates are...and I be saying this out of ignorance...largely interchangeable. International Incidents has more to do with what the name suggests and Nationstates with character RPing, but generally speaking they cover similar ground. Factbooks and National Information would be good if the thread is more a hub or regional community thread.

So if it's in-character and it's a storytelling thread, you could place it either in II or NS, with II being the more heavily trafficked forum.

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Shin-Yudaya
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Shin-Yudaya » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:33 pm

The Macabees wrote:International Incidents and Nationstates are...and I be saying this out of ignorance...largely interchangeable. International Incidents has more to do with what the name suggests and Nationstates with character RPing, but generally speaking they cover similar ground. Factbooks and National Information would be good if the thread is more a hub or regional community thread.

So if it's in-character and it's a storytelling thread, you could place it either in II or NS, with II being the more heavily trafficked forum.

Thanks for the suggestion!
we'll be starting soon

Purnelaw
Envoy

Founded: Apr 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Purnelaw » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:27 am

So there are RPs I've seen and I kinda want to join, but they're FT, or some other tech level, and I'm primarily an MT/PMT nation.
Is joining a PT/FanT/FT as a nation that mostly does MT usually frowned upon?
Purnelewian National News Ticker
Reconstruction efforts continue in Africa. ::: IASPC under scrutiny for losing yet another helicopter to 'suspicious circumstances'. ::: Due to storm threat, the Chersbourg Food Festival will be held in the underground bomb shelter complex. ::: Civil Defense Cannon retrofits completed. ::: First asteroid mining facilities in orbit, operations to commence within two months.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Purnelaw wrote:So there are RPs I've seen and I kinda want to join, but they're FT, or some other tech level, and I'm primarily an MT/PMT nation.
Is joining a PT/FanT/FT as a nation that mostly does MT usually frowned upon?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The main reason not to do PT etc. with an MT country is to keep your canons clear and separate, especially if your non-MT roleplay isn't just another time-period version of Purnelaw or whatever your country might be. For example: if I want to join in another guy's PT roleplay as the Kingdom of Transnatia, a country which as far as I and the rest of humanity are concerned has nothing to do with 'Maltropia' whatsoever, it might be easier to make Transnatia its own nation. If I don't plan on using Transnatia for more than one or two roleplays, it's probably fine to keep it under the Maltropia banner. Just make clear what you're roleplaying as.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Insignificance
Secretary

Founded: Nov 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Insignificance » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:58 pm

I have a question regarding an RP I wish to start. But first, allow me to offer a brief rundown of the backstory so far:

• My main nation - GeodesicDragon (AKA the Apocalypse) - created a colony to explore what having Civil and Political rights would be like.
  • The colony's leader got too big for his boots and tried to declare independence.
  • A short war ensued; it lasted three days and didn't have many casualties.
  • The Apocalypse agrees to let the colony secede.
  • Peace follows, but no treaty is signed...

Now, as part of this whole thing, the colony nation will expire on the 19th of this month. The next part of my RP involves giving the impression that the Apocalypse had something to do with the colony ceasing to exist, and this nation asking that the international community joins it in condemning them.

I would do this via the Security Council, but none of my four nations are members of the WA; even if they were, my current region only has one other WA member, and you need two endorsements to put forward a proposal to the Security Council. Then there's the fact I don't think it even count as a valid SC proposal to begin with, seeing as it's more of an RP thing and has nothing to do with the Apocalypse's impact on NS as a whole.

So, that's why I am looking to the International Incidents forum. This would be an open RP, with the intention of getting as many nations as possible to condemn the Apocalypse, which would respond in a 'Yeah, whatever' manner. I don't have any ideas as to what would happen after the condemnation comes in, however, although suffice it to say I don't want to start another war.

Is what I have in mind the sort of thing that would be welcome here, or should I take my pathetic idea elsewhere? I've been playing NS for a while now, and I always play my nations in-character, but this will be the first time I've taken my RPing beyond the confines of a Regional Message Board.

(I hope all of this made sense; let me know if you need any more information.)
Last edited by Insignificance on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madtopia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

How does RP work?

Postby Madtopia » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Hello fellow, probably more experienced players of NationStates.

I am pretty new around here, and I was wondering how Roleplaying in NationStates works. Is it a more casual RP, or is it like a mini-forum game where you get to have text wars?

(By text wars, I mean you post the movements of your military. Ex. - Madtopia sends in X troops towards Bigtopia.)

To those with helpful information on this, please leave a reply. If there is a tutorial thread on this I am not aware of, just reply with that. I am not sure whether this is the right forum for this, but I hope it is.
Madtopia was founded with automatic weapons.

Deropia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Deropia » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Madtopia wrote:Hello fellow, probably more experienced players of NationStates.

I am pretty new around here, and I was wondering how Roleplaying in NationStates works. Is it a more casual RP, or is it like a mini-forum game where you get to have text wars?

(By text wars, I mean you post the movements of your military. Ex. - Madtopia sends in X troops towards Bigtopia.)

To those with helpful information on this, please leave a reply. If there is a tutorial thread on this I am not aware of, just reply with that. I am not sure whether this is the right forum for this, but I hope it is.

For the most part RPs in nationstates are freeform, Players take turns writing actions in a scene, each In-Character forum has its own standards.

International Incidents has a really good introduction to RPing on NS that can be found here.

Nationstates also has a bunch of RP Mentors who would love to help get you started, just give a click on the 'Mentors' section of the document I linked to above and it will give you a list. I hope this helps, and welcome to NationStates, I hope you enjoy your time here! :)
Last edited by Deropia on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant-Commander Jason MacAlister
Deropian Ambassador to the World Assembly
macalister.j@diplomats.com
Office 1302, 13th Floor, World Assembly Headquarters
Minister of WA Affairs [TNP]
Captain, North Pacific Army Special Forces
Former Speaker of the Regional Assembly [TNP]

Raionitu
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raionitu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 pm

So the answer to is it like A or is like like B is probably, yes. Nationstates has a large variety of role play, both in seriousness and in types.

For some ideas on where to look, you can find role playing regions here, though it's hard to find which ones match your RP interests from that page.

If you want to do nation based RP, go here, and read the guide linked in the above post. It's typically controlling a nation, so stuff like war and diplomacy.

There is also a forum here that is non-nation/NS role playing, which also has its own welcome guide pinned. This one tends to be for character role play, you tend to see RPs based off popular things such as star wars and such.
Last edited by Raionitu on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koth wrote:you guys are cool, like lately ive been watching the overal state of the raider world and been like,"ew", but you guys are very not ew
Reppy wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum.
Aguaria Major wrote:The Black Hawks is essentially a regional equivalent of Heath Ledger's Joker: they just want to watch the world burn
Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop.Please.
Souls wrote:Hi, I'm Souls. Have you embraced our lord and savior , Piling yet?
Souls wrote:Note to self: Watch out for Rai in my bedroom
Altinsane wrote:Me, about every suspiciously helpful newb I meet: "It's probably Rai."
Lord Dominator wrote:Koth is a drunken alternate personality of yours

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:33 pm

Madtopia wrote:Hello fellow, probably more experienced players of NationStates.

I've merged your topic into a more pertinent one.

As the folks in the original thread described, each board has its own set of community conventions regarding their specific topics and thread styles, but in basic: roleplay on NationStates is freeform and comes in two, broad forms: that which covers roleplaying your NS country ("Kyrusia") and characters/entities from/related-to it, and roleplays which do not (which are the domain of Portal to the Multiverse). Currently you are in International Incidents, one of the three primary roleplaying boards for the National & International Roleplaying forum category; the other two are NationStates and NS Sports. N&I also contains Factbooks & National Information (for detailing information about your country, embassy threads, surveys, etc.) and Global Economics & Trade (the domain of storefronts and related ventures).

Most roleplaying on NationStates involves a freeform, play-by-post style. In short: you and your roleplay partners exchange writing posts in order to tell a story. That story can be about anything ranging from a concert some of your characters attend, to a major war between nation-states, and anything in-between. Further, each thread may have different expectations and ranges of the level of competition or mechanics incorporated - but that's getting a bit ahead of things. Needless to say, the NS roleplay forums contain a myriad of different thread styles, roleplayer styles and preferences, genres, tech-levels, etc. Some of these do include troop movements and the like - usually the war/conflict threads - though they are often posted in a narrative fashion, rather than a simple "Examplestan sends 100 troops to Exampland."

Since you asked for a "tutorial," I'll provide you with the primary intro-sticky in II; you can find it here. Each board on the forums typically has a number of "stickies" (threads pinned to the top of the board) with information about that specific board. It is highly recommended you read them when you go into a new board for the first time as they will usually answer the more basic questions you may have. For example, this aforementioned link will take you to a basic Q&A section of the previously linked thread - which includes a basic rundown on roleplay.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post them here (or in one of the similar help threads found throughout the RP boards) or you might consider contacting a Mentor. Mentors are volunteers who dedicate a portion of their time on NS to helping players - both new and veteran alike - with roleplaying, writing, worldbuilding, and a variety of topics relating to one's play experience in this community.

Hope you find this helpful. :)
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Catuskoti
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Catuskoti » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Is it considered poor manners to pattern military off an existing nation's? I'm thinking of going with an India-esque flavour, same population and all. I'd use their military as a template.
A typical piece of Buddhist dialectical apparatus is the ...(catuskoti). It consists of four members in a relation of exclusive disjunction ("one of, but not more than one of, 'a,' 'b,' 'c,' 'd,' is true"). Buddhist dialecticians, from Gautama onward, have negated each of the alternatives, and thus have negated the entire proposition. As these alternatives were supposedly exhaustive, their exhaustive negation has been termed "pure negation" and has been taken as evidence for the claim that Madhyamika is negativism.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Catuskoti wrote:Is it considered poor manners to pattern military off an existing nation's? I'm thinking of going with an India-esque flavour, same population and all. I'd use their military as a template.

Not at all. This is most people's starting place.

Catuskoti
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 09, 2013

Postby Catuskoti » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:06 pm

The Macabees wrote:
Catuskoti wrote:Is it considered poor manners to pattern military off an existing nation's? I'm thinking of going with an India-esque flavour, same population and all. I'd use their military as a template.

Not at all. This is most people's starting place.

Awesome. TY.
A typical piece of Buddhist dialectical apparatus is the ...(catuskoti). It consists of four members in a relation of exclusive disjunction ("one of, but not more than one of, 'a,' 'b,' 'c,' 'd,' is true"). Buddhist dialecticians, from Gautama onward, have negated each of the alternatives, and thus have negated the entire proposition. As these alternatives were supposedly exhaustive, their exhaustive negation has been termed "pure negation" and has been taken as evidence for the claim that Madhyamika is negativism.

Shwe Tu Colony
Senator

Founded: Sep 27, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Shwe Tu Colony » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:55 pm

A bit of an unusual question, but how could I tell if my reputation in Nationstates roleplaying is bad versus just not being known?
Cherissime amis! Behold, Shwe Tu Colony/World Machine/WoMac, the paracosm of a spoiled brat, taking everything, sparing nothing, mingling the childhood incroyable with the angst of a young man.
Current status: university rules are just a suggestion
"The summer grass is getting in the way"
Extension

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:57 pm

Shwe Tu Colony wrote:A bit of an unusual question, but how could I tell if my reputation in Nationstates roleplaying is bad versus just not being known?

I would never get stuck on a bad reputation. You can get out of a bad reputation by doing better, which is what we all strive for in the end.

Why not seek the feedback of those who you've RPd with in the past?

Shwe Tu Colony
Senator

Founded: Sep 27, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Shwe Tu Colony » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:02 pm

The Macabees wrote:
Shwe Tu Colony wrote:A bit of an unusual question, but how could I tell if my reputation in Nationstates roleplaying is bad versus just not being known?

I would never get stuck on a bad reputation. You can get out of a bad reputation by doing better, which is what we all strive for in the end.

Why not seek the feedback of those who you've RPd with in the past?

Aight then, thanks for the advice.
Cherissime amis! Behold, Shwe Tu Colony/World Machine/WoMac, the paracosm of a spoiled brat, taking everything, sparing nothing, mingling the childhood incroyable with the angst of a young man.
Current status: university rules are just a suggestion
"The summer grass is getting in the way"
Extension

Ella2 6
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2016

Postby Ella2 6 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:51 am

Usually, it's a case of people giving you an extra glance and scrutinising your application a bit more compared to, say, avoiding you altogether.
Wiki Factbooks
Kato
Kaga-Kami

A writer of magic, fantasy & science fiction.

Belshekistan
Envoy

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Belshekistan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:02 pm

How are wars fought and won here?
ATTENTION: In-character name is the People's Federation of Northern Eurasia
NATIONAL NEWS: PRC and Northern Eurasia hold joint military parade.
AFREDCON: [5] 4 3 2 BLYAT
IC location: the Soviet Union but with all Germany, plus Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark.
Now with 100% more full control of the moon, Mars and Venus!
[_☭_]
(-_-)

NS stats sent to detention camps. | Most of our policies are non-canon. I am making no attempt to bring my NS policies in line with my canon nation.

Ella2 6
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2016

Postby Ella2 6 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:07 pm

Belshekistan wrote:How are wars fought and won here?

There are no game side mechanics to wage war on another nation here on NS, unless one considers raiding and defending regions a form of warfare. As a result, wars are generally fought here on the forums between players. Generally, wars are understood to be platforms for which interesting stories about a nation or characters of one's nation can be told.

As a result, wars are primarily agreements between players. No war is ever fought without the agreement of the other player. In other words, an attack on another nation would be void unless the other player agrees to respond. Winning a war would be a matter up to the players themselves. A nation doesn't win or lose the war until the players they belong to agree on an outcome; if there even is one.

That is not to say, however, that a player can simply refuse to lose in a war despite their last bastion of resistance being cornered in an underground bunker being infiltrated by several cohorts of special forces. There are still community standards in the 'Art of NS War' which frowns upon such.

Regardless, the short version is that conducting a war is a matter between two players. Both players must agree to participate in the war and both players must agree to the outcome of the war in order for it to be valid.

Useful resources could include but are not limited to:

"War and Storytelling: A Guide to Roleplaying War" by the senior NS&I mentor The Macabees

"The Art of NS War" by the enlightened (and totally-not-Sun Tzu-incarnate) Daehanjeiguk
Wiki Factbooks
Kato
Kaga-Kami

A writer of magic, fantasy & science fiction.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:44 pm

The Mentor Program will be hosting a panel, Future Tech: Space Has a Ground Floor?, on Sunday, October 8, 2017, at 8PM Central Daylight Time.

Probable topics are likely to include: the Four C's and other fundamental community conventions (and apparent hurdles), designing worlds and star systems (both in a star-state and as the part of a P2TM game), creating a star-state itself (with a focus on government, society, and culture), the positives and negatives of playing as humans (or close-to), the positives and negatives to designing (and playing) alien sophonts, as well as the differences and commonalities of FT between N&I and P2TM. This panel will, in general, be focused on serving as an introduction to players looking to get involved in Future Tech, how to get started in Future Tech, as well as answering some pertinent questions from the NationStates roleplaying community about the tech-level in general.

This panel will be hosted on the NS Mentor Program Discord, which you can access by clicking here. No registration is required, but please be certain to appraise yourself of the server rules.

Hope to see y'all there!

Please note: while there are similarities between Future Tech in N&I and P2TM, there are also fundamental differences. These will be addressed as warranted and necessary during the discussion of panel topics. We ask for our audience to be patient and to respect these variances in the context they are provided.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Teleriza
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Teleriza » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:10 pm

What is meant by MT, PMT and FT?
For reference I was in the Anti-Democracy League thread, and in the registration it is brought up as a tech level, so I'd like to know what each means and what the others are.

grammar mistake edit
Last edited by Teleriza on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cis white guy who has [✓] privilege - if any ladies are interested in a progressive and tolerant man who will support her (or which ever pronoun) in anything, the world is yours. Open relationship is okay with me. I don't like the word "cuck"

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Teleriza wrote:What is meant by MT, PMT and FT?
For reference I was in the Anti-Democracy League thread, and in the registration it is brought up as a tech level, so I'd like to know what each means and what the others are.

grammar mistake edit

This should help you out with that. 8)
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents