NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:03 pm

Also, I have a friend (who is also a nation in my region) trying to get RP help. I am helping him all I can, but I am not the best RPer. If a mentor is willing to help me, then I would be appreciative, and I would love you fore... :hug: ...ver

he is new to the concept of online roleplaying, so I am sorta telling him what is ok and what isn't.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Personal Freedom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Personal Freedom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:05 pm

Roski wrote:Also, I have a friend (who is also a nation in my region) trying to get RP help. I am helping him all I can, but I am not the best RPer. If a mentor is willing to help me, then I would be appreciative, and I would love you fore... :hug: ...ver

he is new to the concept of online roleplaying, so I am sorta telling him what is ok and what isn't.

Nation-based or character-based?
Economic Left/Right: -10.0 (previously -6.45)
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.18 (previously -4.72 )
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves;
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:07 pm

Roski wrote:Also, I have a friend (who is also a nation in my region) trying to get RP help. I am helping him all I can, but I am not the best RPer. If a mentor is willing to help me, then I would be appreciative, and I would love you fore... :hug: ...ver

There are also many veteran RPers out there. Not just the mentor. I'm more than willing to help if needed.

-Tiami
The Elven Kingdom of Amador
TETly Father of TETism and 18-year NS vet
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Personal Freedom wrote:

Nation-based or character-based?

I am focusing on nation based, simply because I am a poor character base person.
I have him on a thread that I said was open for everyone, but its primarily for my region. I decided I would try to help anyone that asked for it. I would like to have someone who knows what they are doing with me though. I am not, nor do I pretend to be, a mentor.

I will open him to character base, but I think that nation based is the best to start for him, because he is good with making up his own characters, and the same basic rules apply.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Personal Freedom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Personal Freedom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:11 pm

Roski wrote:
Personal Freedom wrote:Nation-based or character-based?

I am focusing on nation based, simply because I am a poor character base person.
I have him on a thread that I said was open for everyone, but its primarily for my region. I decided I would try to help anyone that asked for it. I would like to have someone who knows what they are doing with me though. I am not, nor do I pretend to be, a mentor.

I will open him to character base, but I think that nation based is the best to start for him, because he is good with making up his own characters, and the same basic rules apply.

I no longer do nation based non-PTM rps, but there are others willing to help. I can help in the future should you need it for character based rping.
Economic Left/Right: -10.0 (previously -6.45)
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.18 (previously -4.72 )
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves;
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:12 pm

Personal Freedom wrote:
Roski wrote:I am focusing on nation based, simply because I am a poor character base person.

I no longer do nation based non-PTM rps, but there are others willing to help. I can help in the future should you need it for character based rping.

Oh ok. I'll keep you in mind for character rps.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:28 am

Roski wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
That entirely depends on where you're sending them, the size of your fleet, your strategic partners to facilitate fleet mobility and refueling, the quality of your supply infrastructure, etc.

Pick the number you think you should be able to send. Divide that by 10. In general terms, you'll be closer to what you could realistically deploy; even so, there are far too many variables to account for to simply give you a straight figure, as each deployment will be highly situation-dependent.

I'll help with a certain situation.

I have a military alliance in a region close by an enemy that starts multiple conflicts.
My military is massive (This nation alone carrying 36 million troops), with a rather sizable navy.
I am sending as a full scale invasion, and as I said, I have allies very close by.
My ships are made for long distances, and for heavy firepower.
As an invasion, all three branches are represented, so could you provide an estimate there?
I'm asking so I don't send maybe 10 million troops at once, but everyone thinks I can only send 5 or 6 mil.

Millions of troops is almost always overkill, and a bit unrealistic, though n this case, the best you could do would spend months--if not years--building up troops, equipment, and supplies in your local allies, so you can attack overland, rather than try to launch a kind of amphibious assault. I would also advise that you not simply say that you're sending X million troops. Militaries, especially cross-ocean invasions are far more than just numbers of troops and equipment. It is much more advisable to say how many divisions you're sending, how many carrier battlegroups and air force wings you're sending, rather than just a number of troops. It's much more representative of how much combat power you're sending.

Edit: Also, don't forget that even if you have 36 millions troops (which honestly, does feel a bit wanky), only about 9 million of them will be what we consider 'combat' troops, with the rest being logistics, administration, and other types of non-combat personnel.
Last edited by Lubyak on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Epira
Attaché

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Epira » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:10 am

Where do i roleplay the passing of laws?

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:00 am

Epira wrote:Where do i roleplay the passing of laws?

Depending on how important you think that law is (and how much attention you want), either in NationStates or International Incidents. Alternatively, if you're talking about a thread dedicated solely to informing other players about the passage of laws in your country (and not just one law in particular), it might be best to put it in Factbooks and National Information.

Is there anything else you need? :)
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Zoboyizakoplayoklot
Minister

Founded: Jan 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zoboyizakoplayoklot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:19 pm

It may benefit you to provide or scene-based information. Everything there is expository in nature, so there's not a lot to latch onto. Perhaps provide a scene from the revolution so that potential leaders may be interested or have a canonical reason to be impelled to participate?

Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:03 am

I have a revolution-based RP here but it doesn't seem to be catching on; how can I get interest in it, as it is open to everyone?
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

Havensky
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:28 pm

So, there's two things you could do.

First, why are your people rebelling? Is your government a evil regime? Is this an ethnic divide? Religious? Or are the rebels upset at a political policy?

How you answer will dictate how my nation reacts. If your nation's leader is an evil bastard - I may be inclined to help the rebels. If it's an ethinc or religious conflict, I can offer to help with peace talks. If the rebels did something very stupid - like hold one of my citizens hostage - I will probably crush them like little bugs. *squish*

Second, you havn't given me any details about your protagonist. My characters react differently to differnt people. We hate slavers, so when I talk to The Scandinavians we tread very carefully and they view us with suspiciousion. We are allied with Xirinuim, so when our characters meet it's with open arms. When Kraven sees us, he tried to kill my characters. Them's the ropes.

The more detail you provide about your characters, the more things I can hook onto in my writing. I know Delphire likes swords - so I presented his leader with a sword. I know Scandinivains respect royalty, so my initial engagement came from my King VS my state department or prime minister.

Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Havensky wrote:So, there's two things you could do.

First, why are your people rebelling? Is your government a evil regime? Is this an ethnic divide? Religious? Or are the rebels upset at a political policy?

I added more here; they're rebelling as they feel it should always have been its own nation; when in reality it's always been a part of Astholm.

The rebelling is along ethnic lines, although this is confined to one city, not the entire region.

It's not about the government, but rather a desire for independence.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Astholm on Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

Russian people of america
Senator

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Russian people of america » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Can someone tell me what WIP means?
Call me Russian or RPA.

RP Sample's:
Sengoku Rp
Fading Songs
Shinobi RP

Yes, my nation has a funny name. It was originally a puppet.

I'm Declaring this nation dead. From this moment on it will live on as The Frozen Forest. This is for the sake of convenience, as i want to restart with a new, proper name.

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Russian people of america wrote:Can someone tell me what WIP means?

Work-in-progress. It's a term used to indicate that something is being worked on but that the "work" isn't completed yet.
Retired

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:11 pm

Russian people of america wrote:Can someone tell me what WIP means?

Work in Progress.

Generally added to apps or other devices partially constructed, but not ready for judgement as of yet.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Russian people of america
Senator

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Russian people of america » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:12 pm

ok thanks :)
Call me Russian or RPA.

RP Sample's:
Sengoku Rp
Fading Songs
Shinobi RP

Yes, my nation has a funny name. It was originally a puppet.

I'm Declaring this nation dead. From this moment on it will live on as The Frozen Forest. This is for the sake of convenience, as i want to restart with a new, proper name.

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Astholm wrote:
Havensky wrote:So, there's two things you could do.

I added more here; they're rebelling as they feel it should always have been its own nation; when in reality it's always been a part of Astholm.

The rebelling is along ethnic lines, although this is confined to one city, not the entire region.

It's not about the government, but rather a desire for independence.

Hope this helps.

This is definitely a step in the right direction from what you've attempted before. There's more to respond to now, which is always good. Now you have to be the ringleader here - you need to both respond on post new content to those who have posted. It's not about numbers of participants (too many can be bad in any case). You got some, you need to keep them interested. Give them more to do than one cursory acknowledgement. If you're picking up random players and not people who you often play with, then you need to do it sooner rather than later or they will move on.

Reply, and don't just directly reply. Add in more story to each one - advance the thread and they will help.
Last edited by Santheres on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

Graditora
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Is it possible for the defending nation to reject an oncoming attack from the offensive nation just because it said that it's not within it's plan for this event to take place and so it won't be taking place?

I've never had this problem till now. It's really odd to me. This isn't a changing history thing either this is a happening now free for all sort deal.
Favorite Quote: "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge"- Thomas Carlyle
The Shadow of F7
Pronounced: "Grah-deh-tor-ah" | Now with a wiki!
Luziyca wrote:You were the one responsible for the Second Amendment.

Bafuria wrote:If I was allowed to carry I would carry a pistol with big, loud muzzle blast, something that says "I JUST SHOT YOU D:<".

Ea90 wrote:Someone knows what they want.

Romberg wrote:You do not mess with the nation with a scorpion on its flag.

Descedant of George Reed. Delaware signer of the Deceleration of Independence.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Graditora wrote:Is it possible for the defending nation to reject an oncoming attack from the offensive nation just because it said that it's not within it's plan for this event to take place and so it won't be taking place?

I've never had this problem till now. It's really odd to me. This isn't a changing history thing either this is a happening now free for all sort deal.

It's perfectly acceptable to do so. RP is meant to be cooperative story, and if the other player isn't willing to cooperate, then there's no problem in saying that you're not interested.

Graditora
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:06 am

Lubyak wrote:
Graditora wrote:Is it possible for the defending nation to reject an oncoming attack from the offensive nation just because it said that it's not within it's plan for this event to take place and so it won't be taking place?

It's perfectly acceptable to do so. RP is meant to be cooperative story, and if the other player isn't willing to cooperate, then there's no problem in saying that you're not interested.

Thank you for clearing that up. It just confused because it seems unrealalistic.
Favorite Quote: "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge"- Thomas Carlyle
The Shadow of F7
Pronounced: "Grah-deh-tor-ah" | Now with a wiki!
Luziyca wrote:You were the one responsible for the Second Amendment.

Bafuria wrote:If I was allowed to carry I would carry a pistol with big, loud muzzle blast, something that says "I JUST SHOT YOU D:<".

Ea90 wrote:Someone knows what they want.

Romberg wrote:You do not mess with the nation with a scorpion on its flag.

Descedant of George Reed. Delaware signer of the Deceleration of Independence.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:33 am

Graditora wrote:
Lubyak wrote:

Thank you for clearing that up. It just confused because it seems unrealalistic.

It is, but at the same time, it's part of how things work here. As I said, RP is writing and telling a story cooperatively, and you can't do that if the other player isn't cooperating. If that's the case, then no one will think wrongly of you for backing out.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:04 am

Are you allowed to use the United Nations in Role Playing because some guy reported me for using it (it wasn't even his thread and the OP didn't mind at all) and said you have to use the World Assembly. I personally prefer the UN for numerous reasons.

Thread were I was reported: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=289061
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

Alizeria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alizeria » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:46 am

Ardoki wrote:Are you allowed to use the United Nations in Role Playing because some guy reported me for using it (it wasn't even his thread and the OP didn't mind at all) and said you have to use the World Assembly. I personally prefer the UN for numerous reasons.

Thread were I was reported: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=289061

In terms of what happens during a roleplay, there are no rules. The fact that the guy tried to report you because he didn't like your style of roleplaying is absolutely laughable.

That said, it's not common for people to include real world elements in roleplays and it's loosely possible (though I would need a mod or site admin to verify) that there could be an issue with you using the UN due to Max's infamous run-in with the United Nations. But as far as I can remember (I've been away from NS for a while), mods won't police your RPs and from what I read of your roleplay, it looked quite good.
IIwiki | Hansard | Foreign Affairs | Q&A
Late Roman Empire wrote:Draconians often joke that they double-inspect imports of Alizerian lamb for signs of coupling.

New Edom wrote:Did you hear about that Alizerian who said he’d eat some sheep’s balls on a bet? He won the bet, but damn did that sheep kick him.

Hittanryan wrote:What do you call a guy with his hand up a sheep's ass? An Alizerian mechanic.

Schottia wrote:While Belisaria is burning Schottia is watching football and Alizeria is teaching sheep to drive.

Shalum wrote:Alizeria, the one place where it's acceptable to be a lady by day, and a freak in the hay.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents