NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Donald J Trump America wrote:I have an issue: nobody takes my RPs very seriously. How do I remedy this?

What kind of feedback have you received? Has someone said something to make you think that or are people just not interacting with your RPs?
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:32 pm

The Imperium Empires wrote:How do I make people interested in my Roleplay

A roleplay is a collaborative story, so the best way to make people interested is to provide them with a good plot to work with. And, once you have an RP idea, what you can do is market it by posting an out of character sign-up thread, where you sell the plot to others by explaining it in a way that grips the reader to it. Think of it like the inside flap of a book.

What roleplay ideas do you have? Maybe I can help you spice it up or guide you on how to sell it.

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:34 pm

East Slovenska wrote:Hey, new here, does anyone know a small region with active roleplaying?

Gholgoth has 23 nations and is active. They do require you to apply and it's a "nightmare tech" region.

Greater Dienstad has something like 59 nations, but we're pretty tight knit and are also very active. We are MT and PMT.

Pardes has 19 nations. It's an MT region. I can't vouch for how active they are, but their IRC channel is pretty active.

Sondria has 17 nations and is also MT. I don't know how active it is.

Edit: The Factbooks and National Information forum often has a bunch of regional recruitment threads that you can peruse, to see if one of them is more to your liking.

Btw, welcome to NationStates. I hope to start seeing your RPs!
Last edited by The Macabees on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Donald J Trump America
Attaché

Founded: Jan 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Donald J Trump America » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:10 pm

The Macabees wrote:
Donald J Trump America wrote:I have an issue: nobody takes my RPs very seriously. How do I remedy this?

What kind of feedback have you received? Has someone said something to make you think that or are people just not interacting with your RPs?

It's not a lack of interaction. Everybody seems to think that, because I'm RPing as Donald Trump, they can use my threads to make political commentary, a mockery of my nation or even play out political fantasies
Pro: Donald Trump, Nigel Farage, Anime, Shinzo Abe, Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere
Con: The European Union, China, Liberals and Liberalism, [REMOVED BY MOD]
My country is the Confederate Shogunate of America and Japan. I claim the US, Canada, Mexico, and Japan

Cordoban Spain
Secretary

Founded: Mar 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordoban Spain » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:12 pm

change the nation and flag maybe

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:25 pm

Donald J Trump America wrote:
The Macabees wrote:

It's not a lack of interaction. Everybody seems to think that, because I'm RPing as Donald Trump, they can use my threads to make political commentary, a mockery of my nation or even play out political fantasies

The problem with the RP you're starting, repeatedly, is that Donald J Trump wins the election. This is the entire premise for the RP.

Unfortunately, that will attract those people who are going to be unreasonably aggressive to you. If you were to limit this to a character RP of American citizens, instead of roleplaying national reactions (because NS is the god of knee-jerk states), I feel that RP would be taken quite a bit more seriously. It might become political drama (which would be a decent change from everything I usually see), or it might be people suffering/suceeding under this new president.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Donald J Trump America wrote:It's not a lack of interaction. Everybody seems to think that, because I'm RPing as Donald Trump, they can use my threads to make political commentary, a mockery of my nation or even play out political fantasies

Part of me wants to say you brought it on yourself, but only the facetious part.

Look, when you start a thread, you are god on that thread. You get to decide who gets to post, the direction of the plot, etc. The best way of controlling the flow of the RP is to tag the thread as [closed]. If someone who does not have permission to post does so anyways, you can file a report on the Moderation forum. Like I said, you rule the thread, so that will always be on your side.

After you create the [closed] IC thread, create an OOC (out of character) thread. That's where all the nonsense commentary can go (and I advise you to ignore it and respond only to the posts that pertain to the RP), and that's where you can vet who gets to post in the IC thread.

Pillowlandia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Pillowlandia » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:02 pm

I have one question, what is with certain players obsession with seemingly trying to cause as much collateral damage as humanly possible for no real gain to their RP cause. Also why do people hate to RP logistics so much?
Stasnov wrote:Small-to-medium sized professional, relatively high-tech and well funded military. Emphasis on flexible units at Brigade-Battalion level.
#ValaranSoFab

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:05 pm

Pillowlandia wrote:I have one question, what is with certain players obsession with seemingly trying to cause as much collateral damage as humanly possible for no real gain to their RP cause. Also why do people hate to RP logistics so much?

To answer your first part. That would be not very different from most blockbuster summer movies nowadays. Everywhere you look there is a movie with huge amounts of collateral. My guess, it that people want to re-enact movies. The bigger the better.

In regards to logistics, most people just want to enjoy themselves without thinking of the who, what, where and whys. I recommend finding a group that does like to RP with a similar style to you. It will be a lot more fun for you
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:06 pm

Pillowlandia wrote:I have one question, what is with certain players obsession with seemingly trying to cause as much collateral damage as humanly possible for no real gain to their RP cause. Also why do people hate to RP logistics so much?

Well, for the latter, that's a real pain in the ass, and the people who do understand it don't want to write a novel on it.

And the first is a question we likely couldn't answer, because that involves complex looks into psychology. However, it may have to do with the fact that some people think that killing civilians isn't exactly a terrible thing, so there's that.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:16 pm

Maybe because those details don't interest them. Maybe because they don't know to think about those aspects of war — you could write a guide!

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:55 am

I would actually be totally up for a war RP told entirely through the perspectives of logistical personnel >_>
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

The Technocratic Syndicalists
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Technocratic Syndicalists » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:20 pm

some people just want to be evil

Considering we're both involved in an RP with three countries committing flat out genocide by indiscriminately attacking civilians with chemical weapons, this shouldn't be a surprise.

People don't like logistics because its viewed as boring, and explaining the logistical operations of a military force in great detail would be tedious. It's easier to just say "I've landed X troops at Y", or "I've moved X division to Y", etc. Not that it's right, it's just the matter of fact.
SDI AG
Arcaenian Military Factbook
Task Force Atlas
International Freedom Coalition

OOC: Call me Techno for Short
IC: The Kingdom of Arcaenia

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:19 pm

Or they are simply not considering all of the possibilities;

SeaBees - A post or even entire thread written from the perspective of one of these engineer-warriors could easily cover both aspects of warfare. During an amphibious assault they might just be on the beach at the same time as the marines, pushing forward with shovel, bulldozer, and sapper charges to get ready for the next wave of the invasion. In the fast-paced world of modern warfare - or even FT warfare - getting the infrastructure into place to continue the fight could be both vital and dramatic. Importantly they can also be used to offer both a wider and narrow perspective on events as they happen. A battlefield commander might know that they need to take that airfield in order to be able to launch bombing raids further into Marche Noir while also being in local command of that same battle. His or her thoughts can provide flavor and impetus.

Ground Technical Crew - Could be there when a fighter returns blown all to hell, pulling the pilot out and being there when they live - or die. Working to rearm the fighters as quickly as possible, hearing the pilots discuss their mission objectives before taking flight, among other options. If you're bad at writing combat (and I certainly encourage practice if so) you could substitute this for that while still maintaining the urgency of a fight. This is also a good place to get into the details of logistics; A blockade might be having an effect on your supplies of ammunition, cruise missile strikes on lubricant and bearing manufacturing could have crippled your mechanized forces putting more burden on the ground pounders. Or the inverse - missions to knock out and thus cripple the opponent by eliminating their logistics.

And not all logistics are of the mechanical sort either. A prisoner-of-war camp could be the scene of a dramatic post with a break-out attempt that highlights just how -your- nation deals with prisoners. Are they rapacious and cruel? Or is it Hogan's Heroes? Similar could occur in a field hospital or medical facility. One of the most successful and well-regarded television series of all time was centered around nothing more than an army field hospital in the center of a warzone. Even if it is all just fluff on top of 'I send 12 divisions to the western front', it is fluff people will want to read.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

Pillowlandia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Pillowlandia » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:29 pm

V true, and I will be honest I'm not particularly religions about mentioning logistics but it really does just make the whole thread all that much better when it actually does happen.
Stasnov wrote:Small-to-medium sized professional, relatively high-tech and well funded military. Emphasis on flexible units at Brigade-Battalion level.
#ValaranSoFab

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:40 pm

;Logistics', which from the dawn of NS RP has always meant 'combat service support', is not written about because the huge majority of players do not know enough about it to write about it, both in a technical sense and in regards to their ability to incorporate it into actual RPs.
Restore the Crown

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:48 am

Questers wrote:;Logistics', which from the dawn of NS RP has always meant 'combat service support', is not written about because the huge majority of players do not know enough about it to write about it, both in a technical sense and in regards to their ability to incorporate it into actual RPs.

:roll:
A lot of players don't know enough about military operations to write about those properly either, but don't let that fact stop them...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:50 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Questers wrote:;Logistics', which from the dawn of NS RP has always meant 'combat service support', is not written about because the huge majority of players do not know enough about it to write about it, both in a technical sense and in regards to their ability to incorporate it into actual RPs.

:roll:
A lot of players don't know enough about military operations to write about those properly either, but don't let that fact stop them...
No-oo, but they think they do. They don't think they know enough about logistics. One because it hasn't any media coverage, secondly because, although I find it interesting personally, it is a very dry subject.
Restore the Crown

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:40 am

LOL Logistics

Remember when ORBAT's had a sections for support assets. Those where the good ol' days.
No Sig installed please insert boot media and press any key to continue

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:41 pm

Just an FYI that I'm coordinating a Women & NationStates Symposium starting tomorrow (in just over 12 hours, actually). I'm trying to gather some interest from female RPers to participate in an IRC panel on Women & NationStates RP, so if you're female and interested in participating, send me a telegram with what days/times you're available between now and Sunday and hopefully we can work something out.

Hope to see some of you there! :)
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Yalooply
Civilian

Founded: Apr 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Interested but Confused

Postby Yalooply » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:35 am

I am new here but I see everyone talking about role playing and I know what it is but I'm confused on how it works on NationStates and how to make a Fact Book. I want to be involved more than just dealing with issues but I need a lot of help figuring it all out.

Aquatus
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Question

Postby Aquatus » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:55 pm

How to make and edit a map for nationstates?

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:09 pm

Yalooply wrote:I am new here but I see everyone talking about role playing and I know what it is but I'm confused on how it works on NationStates and how to make a Fact Book. I want to be involved more than just dealing with issues but I need a lot of help figuring it all out.

Hello and welcome to the crazy world that is roleplaying in Nationstates! So, making a factbook seems like a good place to start. What you want to do, is go to your main nation page, click on the link that says factbooks and the button that says make a new factbook (or something of that matter). There is no truly correct way to make a factbook. Some people use it as a sort of notepad with all their ideas. Others create a layout to make a sort of "wikipedia" page for their nation (info on how to do that is in the factbooks and National Information forum). Others still fill it with pictures of anything they want. Usually, it is a great way for other people to get a sense of your nation, without needing to ask you hundreds of questions which you may not know the answers to at that moment.

Other than factbooks, a massive part of nationstates is the forum. There are quite a few to choose from (though of course you can choose more than one at a time. There is no rules against it :P) and all the forums might seem confusing. The main 7 are:
  • Factbooks and National Information; generally it has threads with various questions about your nation to flesh out your country
  • NationStates; generally for all roleplaying with your country that does not involve armed conflict
  • International Incidents; generally for roleplaying any conflict
  • Global Economics and Trade; used for storefronts which people design
  • NS Sports; your nation's sports teams
  • General; just talking with your fellow players about anything
  • Portal to the Multiverse; every roleplay that does not involve your nation

Pretty much, just pick a forum you think sounds interesting, find an RP (roleplay) that says OPEN and join it! This website has a lot of writing, so make sure to find a group of people that you enjoy writing with, or find a type of roleplay you enjoy and just enjoy taking control of your own country! Shape it through your roleplays and make it into your perfect utopia, or anything you wish it to be!

There is plenty more about nationstates to know and I advise checking out some of the pinned links to almost every forum. They explain what goes on in each one fairly well. If you need anything more, you can telegram me, or any RP Mentor (they definitely know their stuff and even as a semi-veteran I still ask them for assistance every once in a while)
She/Her
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:09 pm

Aquatus wrote:How to make and edit a map for nationstates?

There is no way to do it on Nationstates. You need to do it using MSPaint or any other software like that.
She/Her

Factbook

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:46 am

I have a sample map that's more designed for space nations than terrestrial nations but could be modified for that use. You'll need the GIMP or a program that can open .xcf files. The gimp is free, of course.

Www.pacifier.com/~cziller/images/SampleSpaceMap.xcf

The various layers are marked to their purpose and you can just copy and paste your images into the layers and manipulate from there.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents