NATION

PASSWORD

The Game of International Relations[OOC]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
-Deus-
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

The Game of International Relations[OOC]

Postby -Deus- » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:32 pm

In the time past, I have had many thoughts and ideas to write about, to inform the masses of NS with this or that. But I simply wish to discuss something else, with foreign policy and as whole, intentional relations. You see, international relations are an extremely precise game, delicate and intricate, with even the tiniest scratch or fracture in the system able to topple it down. As with my previous work of discussion and basic political thought, simply think of the nation as a body, a person. However, this time look at it as nation A and nation B [something I will use often in this little work]. Thank you for your time.

But again, as in my first piece I only want to bring up a topic of discussion, maybe even help others out and make the game more fun for everyone. Anyway, here I go.

The Basic’s

As stated before, International Relations [IR] is a game. A complex, often fatal game; one must, in thought, always go into it prepared and ready. Even the most accidental mix up can be disastrous and disrupt the natural flow of things. For example, for nation A attends a diplomatic summit with nation B, then an array of good –and bad- things can happen. To go deeper into that example, if nation A accidental insults nation B by commenting on the way one of their diplomats look, a common thing in nation A, but a severely taboo subject in nation B, this could lead to a host of issues not only externally but also internally in both nations, straining their diplomatic ties.

This is why; one must always come prepared in any diplomatic meeting, even try to act more nation B-ish if you are nation A and going to a meeting in nation B. One must do research, even investigate the culture and history of any they want to have diplomatic ties with, so as to not cause unneeded strain. Think of it as leaving to go to a friend’s house, instead of following the customs of your own home, you may seek to assimilate yourself into the fold of your friends home.

However, one must also take not of the fact that others, in the game of international relations, should only be kept at arm’s reach, for even the most trusted ally can stab you in the back and render you useless. It’s a constant game of paranoia, but to maintain stability internally and externally, a healthy distance between nation A and the world must be created.

The World

When a nation is treading about the world scene, making a declaration or other such thing, one must always be careful and tread lightly. One does not want a costly war on their hands for a slight mix up in words. What may make sense to you may have a different meaning to another. Unnecessary threats or gloating only ruin the view of your nation, causing others to hate, even despise you. Yet instead of lurking in isolationism, or pounding away in interventionism, there must be a balance. Isolationism only cuts you off and ruins you, externally and will rot you internally, in most cases. However interventionism puts your nation in constant motion, always worrying about the outside world and never dedicating time to the internal happenings, in short, it runs you dry.

So a balance must be met, a balance to keep present in the world, to always snag opportunities to better yourself, gain alliances and friends, but also to dedicate time to the internal affairs. The world is a dangerous place to stick your nose into, so you have to tread lightly and softly to make your way. You must try to find allies, yet stay clear of enemies. There is always a way to benefit from any given external situations.

In this way, a foreign policy defines the nation. A foreign policy is very nearly an extremely important part of the nation, for it dictates how the nation handles itself on the IR stage. Imagine it like a playground, with large numbers of children, of all shapes and sizes, of different walks of life and customs, all playing there. You have to weave through it, surviving, benefiting yourself. The world is dangerous, and to be prepared, as stated before, is the key between life and death. And even as I stated earlier, your friend may always turn out to be an enemy, so be careful.

In the face of war

In the face of war, a nation is nearly always on high-alert, always paranoid, always insecure. During war, a nation will be focused on that war and that war alone. If nation A goes to war with nation B, both nations will equally hate each other. They try to undermine each other and destroy each other. Both nations will fear each other equally. They will always be unsure, even frightened of what others may or may not be planning for or against them. They may distort allies as enemies and enemies as allies. And the world, others not involved in this petty feud between A and B, will most often look down on them both, thinking lowly of them for fighting. This is why a nation must always tread lightly.

But, what if nation A wins against nation B? Don’t all things go back to normal? No, quite simply there will always be a state of heightened paranoia and insecurity between warring nations, during and after the war is completed. Each nation will continue to hate, even fear each other long after a victory or peace has been achieved. Each nation will never trust one another again, or at the very least, not any time soon. Think of it, or relate it to Germany with the rest of the world directly after WW2 or WW1. Think of the fear and paranoia the world was filled with. War is devastating; it cripples nations internally and externally. War is only the worst case scenario and option on the diplomatic stage, because no matter how large your military is…you will never be fully prepared for the effects of war.

In Conclusion

In conclusion, international politics are a dangerous game. You’re never sure of who your enemy is or who your ally is. You cannot trust anyone, ever. You must simply make it your goal to survive and benefit yourself. To do otherwise would be the death of you. Think of it like a game, to be blunt, a game where the slightest slip up can be the destruction of you and your entire nation. Tread carefully. International relations are only a means to an end. A means to benefit oneself. A constant, always changing dynamic is present. And thus we must always be careful. However, this is simply an opinion. Please post comments or criticism, because it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

For we are all watched over, by machines of loving grace.
~Deus.

OOC: Hi...
Last edited by -Deus- on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The State of Monavia » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:46 pm

I am pleased to have read through this simple treatise on the basic principles of international relations. This guide, while not notably informative, is still detailed enough to bring some much-needed common sense to newcomers. Too many newbies have chosen to create countries that are modified clones of RL countries, down to their very character, "flavor," and foreign policy initiatives.

The largest improvement that can be made to this guide is an expansion of specifics and examples. Some slight editing for textual smoothness could possibly be done, but on the whole it makes a great five-minute read for the uninformed and can possibly merit a featured thread status.
——✠ ✠——THE IMPERIAL FEDERATION OF THE MONAVIAN EMPIRE——✠ ✠——
FACTBOOKS AND LOREROLEPLAY CANONDIPLOMATIC EXCHANGE

MY GUIDES ON ROLEPLAYING DIPLOMACY, ROLEPLAY ETIQUETTE, CREATING A NEW NATION,
LEARNING HOW TO ROLEPLAY (FORTHCOMING), AND ROLEPLAYING EVIL (PART ONE)

Seventeen-Year Veteran of NationStates ∙ Retired N&I Roleplay Mentor
Member of the NS Writing Project and the Roleplayers Union
I am a classical monarchist Orthodox Christian from Phoenix, Arizona.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

-Deus-
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -Deus- » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:56 pm

The State of Monavia wrote:I am pleased to have read through this simple treatise on the basic principles of international relations. This guide, while not notably informative, is still detailed enough to bring some much-needed common sense to newcomers. Too many newbies have chosen to create countries that are modified clones of RL countries, down to their very character, "flavor," and foreign policy initiatives.

The largest improvement that can be made to this guide is an expansion of specifics and examples. Some slight editing for textual smoothness could possibly be done, but on the whole it makes a great five-minute read for the uninformed and can possibly merit a featured thread status.

As always, happy to help. I had planned one, that was detailed crazily. But, your suggestion is valid and I will [probably] institute it. However, when it comes to IR I really wanted to keep it fluid and loose, since IR can be played in many many styles and ways. But thanks, as always Mon!

Return to International Incidents