NATION

PASSWORD

OOC: 19th Century Fantasy Earth Interest Thread

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Mon May 02, 2011 11:46 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:I would point out that there is probably very little historical precedent for any acute Human-Elvish rivalry. We've mostly been on separate parts of the planet, save for fairly brief interactions in the mid 1st millennium. After that, human interaction with high elves was basically limited to trade with Bar min Duinath, which doesn't hold anything humans would be particularly interested in taking, and High Elves don't make very good slaves since they tend to die if they are mentally 'broken'. And if you have a non-'broken' slave, then they're just as likely to try to murder you with a carving knife as serve you your turkey.

After that, the primary Human-Elvish interface would have been along the Eastern European border with the Steppe Elf kingdoms. Discrimination against them might occur in those areas, but I don't really see there being enough High Elves in Europe to establish a firm base for discrimination against them, much less the Dark Elves who probably think of humans as semi-legendary monsters.

Goblins and Orcs, now, have been launching raids and attacks on humans from Africa for a long time, and could reasonably make up a fairly large slave population in Europe.

I'd dispute this fact, reason being that my entire nation hinges on it not being true. That said, I like your timeline- very interesting. You may be a complete asshole, OMG, but you are a genius. I think I will edit it to include Fu Lei history.

Not necessarily. While the Elvish population would have experienced a sharp decline after the fall of the kingdom, both due to lots of people running off and deaths through various causes, the Fu Lei would have had access to a large enough Elvish population to ensure their loyalty with hostages and threats, rather than immediate reduction to slave status. If introduced over time, a long time, then Elvish slaves are workable.
And whatever the Fu Lei feel about Elves, even they would have to respect the fact that one guy was able to hold a city gate by himself for a full hour against an entire army.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Ciloniae
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ciloniae » Mon May 02, 2011 12:09 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:I would point out that there is probably very little historical precedent for any acute Human-Elvish rivalry. We've mostly been on separate parts of the planet, save for fairly brief interactions in the mid 1st millennium. After that, human interaction with high elves was basically limited to trade with Bar min Duinath, which doesn't hold anything humans would be particularly interested in taking, and High Elves don't make very good slaves since they tend to die if they are mentally 'broken'. And if you have a non-'broken' slave, then they're just as likely to try to murder you with a carving knife as serve you your turkey.

After that, the primary Human-Elvish interface would have been along the Eastern European border with the Steppe Elf kingdoms. Discrimination against them might occur in those areas, but I don't really see there being enough High Elves in Europe to establish a firm base for discrimination against them, much less the Dark Elves who probably think of humans as semi-legendary monsters.

Goblins and Orcs, now, have been launching raids and attacks on humans from Africa for a long time, and could reasonably make up a fairly large slave population in Europe.

Just want to comment regarding this and all other questions about slavery. Ferrum (Established in Lanitum (Istanbul) around 600 AD) and has since used elven, orcish and dwarven slaves extensivly. Dwarven slavery was abolished in 1300, but today there's hardly a free orc or elf in Ferrum.
Because of this, I obviously trade a lot in slaves as well, also through Gibraltar, but mostly within the Mediterranean Sea.

Oh, and since I control the Bosphorus Strait, I do collect a toll on ships that want to enter or leave the Black Sea.

Jbeil
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jbeil » Mon May 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Imeriata wrote:
Voltronica wrote:Did anyone notice that the Gibraltar strait has been "closed" by Western Averi?

just figured that be really important somehow...

Obviously so must the union step in to protect our maker given superiority in the Mediterranean.

SUPPORT. I definitely support the previous statement.
La République Jbeili
Liberté,Égalité,Prospérité

Demonym:Jbeili.
DEFCON: 1; 2; 3; 4; [5]
I RP with a population of 4,000,000,000.
In a Union with the Principality of Menaton and the Theocracy of -Albi.
Establish an embassy:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=102284
Join the Jbeili Francophonie:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=99496
Join the Jbeili Foreign Legion:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=71952

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Mon May 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Ciloniae wrote:

Just want to comment regarding this and all other questions about slavery. Ferrum (Established in Lanitum (Istanbul) around 600 AD) and has since used elven, orcish and dwarven slaves extensivly. Dwarven slavery was abolished in 1300, but today there's hardly a free orc or elf in Ferrum.
Because of this, I obviously trade a lot in slaves as well, also through Gibraltar, but mostly within the Mediterranean Sea.

Oh, and since I control the Bosphorus Strait, I do collect a toll on ships that want to enter or leave the Black Sea.

They would mostly be Steppe Elf slaves, since obtaining High Elf slaves would be impossible from your current position and, even if our borders met, there's a lot of desert between us which would make expeditions to get High Elf slaves (a rather pointless venture, give the risks, anyway) rather difficult.

Since High Elves regard Steppe Elves as degenerate and little better than animals at this point, we don't really care if you enslave them.

EDIT:
On the note of forcing Gibraltar open, if somebody tells the Elves that their trade interests are being threatened, they would probably dispatch a modest force to assist. Although not much, since they don't have many ships in the Med at the moment.
Last edited by OMGeverynameistaken on Mon May 02, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Ciloniae
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Ciloniae » Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 pm

They are indeed mostly Steppe Elves, but any High Elves that were observed or caught would be enslaved as well. They would probably fetch a higher price!

Imeriata
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 02, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imeriata » Mon May 02, 2011 12:48 pm

Jbeil wrote:SUPPORT. I definitely support the previous statement.

Indeed, while the union have been soft on our foreign policy so far so is this to much of a risk to pass up, the Gibraltar strait should be ours!
embassy program| IIWiki |The foreign units of the royal guard |The royal merchant guilds official storefront! (Now with toys)

So what? Let me indulge my oversized ego for a moment!
Astralsideria wrote:You, sir, are the greatest who ever did set foot upon this earth. If there were an appropriate emoticon, I would take my hat off to you.

Altamirus wrote:^War! War! I want to see 18th century soldiers go up againist flaming cats! Do it Imeriata! Do it Now!

Ramsetia wrote:
Imeriata wrote:you would think that you could afford better looking hussar uniforms for all that money...

Of course, Imeriata focuses on the important things in life.

Willing to help with all your MS paint related troubles.
Things I dislikes: Everything.

Jbeil
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jbeil » Mon May 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Imeriata wrote:
Jbeil wrote:SUPPORT. I definitely support the previous statement.

Indeed, while the union have been soft on our foreign policy so far so is this to much of a risk to pass up, the Gibraltar strait should be ours!

Indeed it should.
La République Jbeili

Join the Jbeili Francophonie:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=99496
Join the Jbeili Foreign Legion:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=71952

Deshia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Deshia » Mon May 02, 2011 3:04 pm

Name of Country:The Tribal Kingdom of Dorski
Government Type:Tribal council in correlation with monarchy
Main Racial Makeup:
45% Jaguarian Peoples
35% Macaws
10% Llama
5% Dolphins
3% Trolls
1% Andean Dwarves
1% other
Secondary Races (you can choose more then one):above
Technological Era Equivalent:1650's (for natives, obsidian weapons: sword-clubs, atlatls, bows, blowguns, and such
Magical Prowess:strong in Shamans, weak in general populace;overall moderate
Population: 7.5 million
Landclaim:French Guiana, Guyana,Suriname, sections of northern brazil
Requested Colour:

Meh
Proud Christian. Deal with it

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Mon May 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Ciloniae wrote:They are indeed mostly Steppe Elves, but any High Elves that were observed or caught would be enslaved as well. They would probably fetch a higher price!

Well, you're welcome to try that. Just TG me with the event.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Demphor
Senator

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Demphor » Mon May 02, 2011 4:34 pm

So no one cares if the World Organization of the Scout Movement has been founded?
Get money out of politics, join Wolf PAC
iiWikiNational Anthem of Demphor
“When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?"
~ John Maynard Keynes

Jbeil
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jbeil » Mon May 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Demphor wrote:So no one cares if the World Organization of the Scout Movement has been founded?

That's fine. As long as the Fleur de Lys continues to be its sign.
La République Jbeili

Demphor
Senator

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Demphor » Mon May 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Jbeil wrote:
Demphor wrote:So no one cares if the World Organization of the Scout Movement has been founded?

That's fine. As long as the Fleur de Lys continues to be its sign.

Of course, the Symbol of the scouting movement will be the fleur de lis!
Get money out of politics, join Wolf PAC
iiWikiNational Anthem of Demphor
“When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?"
~ John Maynard Keynes

Jbeil
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jbeil » Mon May 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Demphor wrote:
Jbeil wrote:That's fine. As long as the Fleur de Lys continues to be its sign.

Of course, the Symbol of the scouting movement will be the fleur de lis!

Then I'm fine with you creating it.
La République Jbeili

Nicksyllvania
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nicksyllvania » Mon May 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Umm. I do hope people realise that Gibraltar is part of Galla on the map.

Jbeil
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jbeil » Mon May 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Nicksyllvania wrote:Umm. I do hope people realise that Gibraltar is part of Galla on the map.

It is? Well then, I guess it's not closed...Right?
La République Jbeili

Western Averi
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Averi » Mon May 02, 2011 7:41 pm

Nicksyllvania wrote:Umm. I do hope people realise that Gibraltar is part of Galla on the map.

Well I posted like 8 times on this thread if anyone owned it, no one spoke up so I TGed the nearest nation I saw with was Volt, he said he was cool and thus I claimed it

And I was wondering when people are going to notice that I took the Straight and closed it

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Mon May 02, 2011 8:29 pm

WTF Nick got deated AGAIN?

I swear the zionist overlords must be working overtime.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Western Averi
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Averi » Mon May 02, 2011 8:49 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:WTF Nick got deated AGAIN?

I swear the zionist overlords must be working overtime.

yeah, I just noticed.

I wonder what he did this time

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Mon May 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Western Averi wrote:

Well I posted like 8 times on this thread if anyone owned it, no one spoke up so I TGed the nearest nation I saw with was Volt, he said he was cool and thus I claimed it

And I was wondering when people are going to notice that I took the Straight and closed it

i

bin

busys
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Imeriata
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 02, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imeriata » Tue May 03, 2011 1:43 am

Jbeil wrote:It is? Well then, I guess it's not closed...Right?

Not jet anyway... something that needs to be taken care of!
embassy program| IIWiki |The foreign units of the royal guard |The royal merchant guilds official storefront! (Now with toys)

So what? Let me indulge my oversized ego for a moment!
Astralsideria wrote:You, sir, are the greatest who ever did set foot upon this earth. If there were an appropriate emoticon, I would take my hat off to you.

Altamirus wrote:^War! War! I want to see 18th century soldiers go up againist flaming cats! Do it Imeriata! Do it Now!

Ramsetia wrote:
Imeriata wrote:you would think that you could afford better looking hussar uniforms for all that money...

Of course, Imeriata focuses on the important things in life.

Willing to help with all your MS paint related troubles.
Things I dislikes: Everything.

Neo Prutenia
Minister

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Neo Prutenia » Tue May 03, 2011 4:36 am

???

I was gone for ONE week and the OP was deleted! One week! OK what happened? Is this still going on? Who's the new OP?
Factbook: The Prut Meritocracy | Prutopaedia (TG feedback appreciated) | National Policies | φ(._.) - Shoot me a TG if you want to RP with me

Always assume I'm the exact same tech level/reality as you are, with access to the exact same technology/abilities; I just happen to prefer very strict MT. IC name: Prut Meritocracy

Ciloniae
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Ciloniae » Tue May 03, 2011 7:22 am

Well, I see Nick got deleted again. Sigh. Well, there shouldn't be a problem to go on. This is, after all, a very free RPG, so we don't need a GM (not that he acted as a GM, only answering questions and settling fights in the OOC, but we could always appoint someone else to do that).

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Ciloniae wrote:They are indeed mostly Steppe Elves, but any High Elves that were observed or caught would be enslaved as well. They would probably fetch a higher price!

Well, you're welcome to try that. Just TG me with the event.

Well... I don't have an event planned, but if I think of something, expect a TG!

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Tue May 03, 2011 12:36 pm

I've spoken to Nick in the IRC and, per his request, have created new threads:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=110641&p=5543016
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=110642&p=5543031

I'm only doing updates to these and approvals of new players. Any actual policy changes will come from Nick himself.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Neo Prutenia
Minister

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Neo Prutenia » Tue May 03, 2011 12:39 pm

So, we're continuing the RPs there? Do we need to reapply? Will Nick come back?
Factbook: The Prut Meritocracy | Prutopaedia (TG feedback appreciated) | National Policies | φ(._.) - Shoot me a TG if you want to RP with me

Always assume I'm the exact same tech level/reality as you are, with access to the exact same technology/abilities; I just happen to prefer very strict MT. IC name: Prut Meritocracy

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Tue May 03, 2011 12:42 pm

The RP never ended, it's just a change of venue. No need to reapply. Although if you aren't in the OP, please say so and give me a link to your approval (or, if you need approval, give me a link to your application.)

According to Nick, he'll be taking his primary roleplaying over to Statesmanship, but will leave a puppet here to keep this RP up.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents