NATION

PASSWORD

Guide to Overlooked Aspects of Warfare

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Remove ads

User avatar
Lhazastan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 750
Founded: Sep 17, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lhazastan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:52 am

Automagfreek wrote:
Lhazastan wrote:
probably the same way "genetic manipulation is our focus, so we get supersoldiers" is wanking

because anyone can claim "we're super badass soldiers all throughout history" all they want and for some reason this means "my soldiers are better than yours." because you're taking something and saying it applies to everyone with the caveat of "oh, but not to me because I made up some random shit that makes it not apply to me"


So what you're saying is that the 8 real life years of NS that I've spent building the story and backstory of my nation, and participating in well over 30+ wars, counts for nothing?


yes

it certainly does not make you a special snowflake
The Lhazarene State (FT)
The Matriarchy of Lhazastan (MT)

Factbook

User avatar
Crimmond
Envoy
 
Posts: 347
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crimmond » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:31 am

Wow... so you're saying that nothing that we do on NationStates means anything at all. Which means that it is a waste of time.

You should really find someplace else, then. Wouldn't want to keep wasting your time around here with us dolts.
Being More Awesome Than You Since March 26, 2003.

Third Founding Lord of Gholgoth

User avatar
Lhazastan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 750
Founded: Sep 17, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lhazastan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:41 am

wow... no. critical thinking would be good to have here.

what I'm saying, flat out, is that no amount of time here gives you the right to wank

RPing cooperatively, which means you do not need to find all these ways you're "superior" to everyone else, is a good thing
The Lhazarene State (FT)
The Matriarchy of Lhazastan (MT)

Factbook

User avatar
Automagfreek
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1086
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Automagfreek » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 pm

Lhazastan wrote:
yes

it certainly does not make you a special snowflake


And there, you're quite wrong. You can't just sign up for this site and say that you're on equal ground as those who have been here for awhile just because you say so. If years of developing story counts for nothing, then what's the point of staying on this site for more than a day?

Lhazastan wrote:wow... no. critical thinking would be good to have here.

what I'm saying, flat out, is that no amount of time here gives you the right to wank

RPing cooperatively, which means you do not need to find all these ways you're "superior" to everyone else, is a good thing


I don't think you have a real concept of what wank is. It's not wanking for me to state that my culture revolves heavily around its military and glorifies war, I cannot possibly see how you can come up with something like that and I'd love to hear your explanation. On the issue of soldier vs soldier capability, let me simply say this: If in the real world a new country is formed, would their soldiers be on par with those of the United States? The answer is no, the US military has been established longer and has better developed tactics and support systems due to hundreds of years of warfare experience.

It's not about showing off your e-penis to prove how e-superior you are. It goes back to the real life principle that nations which have been around longer are generally more powerful then those that have just formed. That's just the way it is, deal with it.
Founded on March 24th, 2003
Proud founder and Lord of Gholgoth
Condemned by Security Council Resolution #82
Join the religion of war. Become a Vanmakti warrior today.

User avatar
Crimmond
Envoy
 
Posts: 347
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crimmond » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Wanking would be me claiming that my military is as fanatical and devoted as AMF's.

Why? Because for the past eight years, I have played them as a military that has had high levels of corruption, betrayal and very high casualty rates. Yes, they are damn good. Yes, they do have a high morale most times. Yes, they will follow my Empress into hell... but they will come out of it, win or lose, a weakened and at least partially demoralized force.

AMF, Pantera, Melkor... they are a different stock of military force. My soldiers fight because they are paid to fight. Their soldiers fight because it's their destiny. The pay is just a bonus.

The Germanic tribes of Europe are a good real world example. Those tribes toppled the Roman Empire.
Being More Awesome Than You Since March 26, 2003.

Third Founding Lord of Gholgoth

User avatar
Third Spanish States
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1454
Founded: Oct 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Spanish States » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Lhazastan wrote:wow... no. critical thinking would be good to have here.

what I'm saying, flat out, is that no amount of time here gives you the right to wank

RPing cooperatively, which means you do not need to find all these ways you're "superior" to everyone else, is a good thing


Lhazastan, I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but for some people here, even, and specially among the older and established players, the idea of enlarging the E-penis is their primary means of "having fun", and this is why in some cases, they'd rather keep on even if the overall quality of the community went totally downhill than to take a fresh start elsewhere with more quality RPers, but where they'd lose their "status" and pride, and that some people aren't RPing for fun, but to gather both of them. Not giving names, just saying, and to claim this doesn't exist is akin to pretend there is no High School mindset dominant even among certain people who should IRL be much older than what someone with a High School mindset would have as age.

As for the article, a part of it suggests being "evil" and ruthless and torturing PoWs lowers morale and is a proper strategy. Maybe in the Middle Ages with Vrad Dracul, but in modern times, I can only disagree with such idea.

On the contrary, it may lead opposing soldiers to develop a "no surrender!" and "fight to death!" mindset to the point that, depending on their culture, they may prefer launching suicidal kamikaze attacks over surrendering.
Last edited by Third Spanish States on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PMT Factbook.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, Binaria, Varejao, Hogsweat, Franberry, ChevyRocks, Izistan, Ulanpataar, North-Point, The Mindset, Vault 10, Rosbaningrad, Sharfghotten, Tyrandis, South Sharfgotten, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania.
Izistan wrote:Third Spanish States is a well known far-right activist so his attempts at humor can only be expected.

Umbagar wrote:%*$#! I put a crack in my screen thanks to the awesome "place fist here" sign. >:(

Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Saxon Germany wrote:[...]you're practically a professional troll, TSS.[...]

User avatar
Automagfreek
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1086
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Automagfreek » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Third Spanish States wrote:they'd rather keep on even if the overall quality of the community went totally downhill than to take a fresh start elsewhere with more quality RPers, but where they'd lose their "status" and pride, and that some people aren't RPing for fun, but to gather both of them. Not giving names, just saying


I have a feeling you're referring to me, and if you are, then allow me to call BS on this. SMS is not the kind of place where a roleplayer that focuses a lot on fantasy can get along, at least that's how it seems at the moment. You may think it has something to do with e-pride, but I would rather RP with people who will at least accept what it is I'm doing.

As for the article, a part of it suggests being "evil" and ruthless and torturing PoWs lowers morale and is a proper strategy. Maybe in the Middle Ages with Vrad Dracul, but in modern times, I can only disagree with such idea.

On the contrary, it may lead opposing soldiers to develop a "no surrender!" and "fight to death!" mindset to the point that, depending on their culture, they may prefer launching suicidal kamikaze attacks over surrendering.


Depends on the culture. Ambushes, booby traps, torture, etc. worked quite well at lowering US morale in Vietnam. It also depends on if you're using professional soldiers or conscripts.
Founded on March 24th, 2003
Proud founder and Lord of Gholgoth
Condemned by Security Council Resolution #82
Join the religion of war. Become a Vanmakti warrior today.

User avatar
Lhazastan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 750
Founded: Sep 17, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lhazastan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:03 pm

Third Spanish States wrote:
Lhazastan wrote:wow... no. critical thinking would be good to have here.

what I'm saying, flat out, is that no amount of time here gives you the right to wank

RPing cooperatively, which means you do not need to find all these ways you're "superior" to everyone else, is a good thing


Lhazastan, I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but for some people here, even, and specially among the older and established players, the idea of enlarging the E-penis is their primary means of "having fun", and this is why in some cases, they'd rather keep on even if the overall quality of the community went totally downhill than to take a fresh start elsewhere with more quality RPers, but where they'd lose their "status" and pride, and that some people aren't RPing for fun, but to gather both of them. Not giving names, just saying, and to claim this doesn't exist is akin to pretend there is no High School mindset dominant even among certain people who should IRL be much older than what someone with a High School mindset would have as age.

As for the article, a part of it suggests being "evil" and ruthless and torturing PoWs lowers morale and is a proper strategy. Maybe in the Middle Ages with Vrad Dracul, but in modern times, I can only disagree with such idea.

On the contrary, it may lead opposing soldiers to develop a "no surrender!" and "fight to death!" mindset to the point that, depending on their culture, they may prefer launching suicidal kamikaze attacks over surrendering.


oh, I actually did very much notice, but it's nice to know that others can see that many older RPers are interested only in throwing around their weight and jumping up and down yelling "LOOK AT ME!" every time they "reintroduce" their nation to a community that could barely care less about them (and hopefully soon will be unable to care less)

AMF, no. you are not special. I know you have a hard time acknowledging that you are not a mega-important ultra-badass, but you're not. you might have been ages ago (though I doubt that was not without its own share of wank then, as everything pre-2006 was loads of ridiculous tripe anyway) but what is in the past is past. and it doesn't matter except for backstory

If years of developing story counts for nothing, then what's the point of staying on this site for more than a day?


if all that matters to you is perceived military prowess which would come from this, then you're a bad RPer. if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

if you wanted to write good stories, none of this would actually matter in the long run and yes, you would accept that a new player has the right to withstand your oh-so-mighty self
Last edited by Lhazastan on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lhazarene State (FT)
The Matriarchy of Lhazastan (MT)

Factbook

User avatar
Automagfreek
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1086
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Automagfreek » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:47 pm

Lhazastan wrote:
oh, I actually did very much notice, but it's nice to know that others can see that many older RPers are interested only in throwing around their weight and jumping up and down yelling "LOOK AT ME!" every time they "reintroduce" their nation to a community that could barely care less about them (and hopefully soon will be unable to care less)

AMF, no. you are not special. I know you have a hard time acknowledging that you are not a mega-important ultra-badass, but you're not. you might have been ages ago (though I doubt that was not without its own share of wank then, as everything pre-2006 was loads of ridiculous tripe anyway) but what is in the past is past. and it doesn't matter except for backstory


I don't know where your unwarranted smugness is coming from, but that's quite enough. Show me where I've thrown my "weight" around and acted like the badass of the community, because I would love to see it. And please, don't link me to IC threads, because that doesn't reflect my OOC personality. OOCly I haven't engaged in any attention seeking behavior, so please, enough.

Honestly, I could care less about what you or anyone else thinks of me. The RP's I do are not to impress anyone, so don't think I'm out to seek your "approval". You obviously have a hard time separating IC from OOC if you think that my interventionist, overly militarized, paranoid, and egocentric government somehow translates into my OOC personality, because reading your last post tells me that you obviously are blurring the lines between the two.

if all that matters to you is perceived military prowess which would come from this, then you're a bad RPer. if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

if you wanted to write good stories, none of this would actually matter in the long run and yes, you would accept that a new player has the right to withstand your oh-so-mighty self


Excellent straw men.

You just so happen to be posting in a guide relating to warfare, so the topic of discussion here is just that: warfare. I never once implied that the sole purpose of this game was enhancing one's military prowess, so I don't know where you're getting that. I also don't know where you're getting the impression that a newer player could not best me in a war, because I've openly stated on numerous occasions that I would gladly "lose" to anyone regardless of size.

Come back when you have more to contribute to the discussion than slander and fallacies.
Founded on March 24th, 2003
Proud founder and Lord of Gholgoth
Condemned by Security Council Resolution #82
Join the religion of war. Become a Vanmakti warrior today.

User avatar
Kylarnatia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8163
Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm simply just going to say; Nice guide man. I've never been too brave on military rps, and I think my non-purpose godmodding in them is holding me back. This is to be bookmarked, and I'll read it again in the morning when I'm slightly less tired, and hopefully just make sure I've got everything straight ;)
02:17 Kyrusia Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus. </fact>
Retired National and International Roleplay Mentor

"What can you do against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself, who gives your arguments a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy?" - George Orwell

User avatar
Lhazastan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 750
Founded: Sep 17, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lhazastan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:08 pm

AMF, you can't ignore the IC threads because all your IC threads are you throwing around your weight, and your nation is characterized specifically so that that is all you do outside of Gholgoth. every single time you come back, it's with a bait thread to get people to condemn you or fight you, and give you a reason to squash them. curious how that happened when that's allegedly not all that matters to you. we can't overlook that everything with is just so perfect for you to never do anything but invade and never have to worry about invasion because you've surrounded yourself with friends who will never allow fair fights

everyone knows Gholgoth's reputation. the reason people join it is because it makes them invincible and allows them to do anything they want in II because no one will do anything to them for fear of being dogpiled by antiquities and pre-06s

and really:

You can't just sign up for this site and say that you're on equal ground as those who have been here for awhile just because you say so.


this is why you will not actually lose. it doesn't help anyone that you think yourself better because you happened not to grow out of this site yet. and if you do "lose", the only way it'll happen is because it is meaningless for you, because you can only lose an invasion of someone else, which is the defender's choice to begin with, so of course you will if they say so

when you're not risking anything, you can claim anything you want. you'd never lose when on the defensive. you've arranged it so that it's impossible

edit: also, I'm done, because you'll never accept that you're not right and perfect and it's not worth my effort anymore. go ahead and get your last word in. I will never see it
Last edited by Lhazastan on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Lhazarene State (FT)
The Matriarchy of Lhazastan (MT)

Factbook

User avatar
Automagfreek
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1086
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Automagfreek » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:38 pm

Lhazastan wrote:AMF, you can't ignore the IC threads because all your IC threads are you throwing around your weight, and your nation is characterized specifically so that that is all you do outside of Gholgoth. every single time you come back, it's with a bait thread to get people to condemn you or fight you, and give you a reason to squash them. curious how that happened when that's allegedly not all that matters to you. we can't overlook that everything with is just so perfect for you to never do anything but invade and never have to worry about invasion because you've surrounded yourself with friends who will never allow fair fights


And you bring even more fallacies into this thread, bravo. I've got news for you, just about every non-planned thread is a bait thread in some manner, because the purpose of it is to elicit a response. Whether that response is military or not depends on the nature of the thread. My threads that are of that nature are not written so that I can squash the first person that says something bad about my government, I greatly prefer diplomatic intrigue as opposed to randomly smashing someone. I thought you knew this, you seem to know me so well....

And no, I don't surround myself with hatchet men who do my dirty work and shield me from danger. I surround myself with friends, nothing more, nothing less. I've been in numerous situations where I told them I didn't want or need their help, simply because I don't need other people to fight my battles for me. I seem to recall going up against 8 people simultaneously a few years back by myself and not crying for help. Oh, they were invading me by the way.

And you act like somehow it's wrong for an evil nation to be aggressive and attempt to bring others under its heel. You know, because that's never happened in real life....

everyone knows Gholgoth's reputation. the reason people join it is because it makes them invincible and allows them to do anything they want in II because no one will do anything to them for fear of being dogpiled by antiquities and pre-06s


Yet another fallacy. People join Gholgoth because it's an established RP region, and we don't accept people who want to use the region as a shield so they can do whatever they please. I'd love to know how you came to this conclusion considering you more likely than not know nothing about our regional recruitment policies. Oh, and I saw your little snipe about how we're letting in the 'worst' RPers. That was uncalled for.

and really:

You can't just sign up for this site and say that you're on equal ground as those who have been here for awhile just because you say so.


this is why you will not actually lose. it doesn't help anyone that you think yourself better because you happened not to grow out of this site yet. and if you do "lose", the only way it'll happen is because it is meaningless for you, because you can only lose an invasion of someone else, which is the defender's choice to begin with, so of course you will if they say so


Answer me this: someone who signed up for NS five minutes ago comes on the forums and declares war on you, fires nuclear missiles, and sends massive invasion fleets your way. Would you accept that? No, nobody would, because it's a long standing unwritten rule that new nations don't have that capability. Therefore, there's nothing inaccurate about my statement.

when you're not risking anything, you can claim anything you want. you'd never lose when on the defensive. you've arranged it so that it's impossible


I'm curious as to how you know that I could never lose on the defensive, because you seem so sure of it. Every post of yours has been nothing but straw men, sweeping generalizations, and so on down the line. Whether you believe it or not, I would gladly accept losing on the defensive, and it would be the most epic, bloody loss imaginable. I would relish the opportunity to delve into those kinds of story angles, so don't think that my "pride" somehow prevents me from ever accepting defeat on my own soil.

edit: also, I'm done, because you'll never accept that you're not right and perfect and it's not worth my effort anymore. go ahead and get your last word in. I will never see it


I've never once implied that I was 'perfect', so I don't know where you're getting that from. You seem to like putting words in my mouth. Probably best if you don't continue to derail this thread. You've been nothing but nasty since you first posted here and have turned this thread from a help guide for lesser experienced RPers into an AMF bashing fest. Enough is enough.
Last edited by Automagfreek on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founded on March 24th, 2003
Proud founder and Lord of Gholgoth
Condemned by Security Council Resolution #82
Join the religion of war. Become a Vanmakti warrior today.

User avatar
Alexiandra
Minister
 
Posts: 3142
Founded: Feb 04, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alexiandra » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:41 am

Lhazastan wrote:AMF, you can't ignore the IC threads because all your IC threads are you throwing around your weight, and your nation is characterized specifically so that that is all you do outside of Gholgoth. every single time you come back, it's with a bait thread to get people to condemn you or fight you, and give you a reason to squash them. curious how that happened when that's allegedly not all that matters to you. we can't overlook that everything with is just so perfect for you to never do anything but invade and never have to worry about invasion because you've surrounded yourself with friends who will never allow fair fights

everyone knows Gholgoth's reputation. the reason people join it is because it makes them invincible and allows them to do anything they want in II because no one will do anything to them for fear of being dogpiled by antiquities and pre-06s

and really:

You can't just sign up for this site and say that you're on equal ground as those who have been here for awhile just because you say so.


this is why you will not actually lose. it doesn't help anyone that you think yourself better because you happened not to grow out of this site yet. and if you do "lose", the only way it'll happen is because it is meaningless for you, because you can only lose an invasion of someone else, which is the defender's choice to begin with, so of course you will if they say so

when you're not risking anything, you can claim anything you want. you'd never lose when on the defensive. you've arranged it so that it's impossible

edit: also, I'm done, because you'll never accept that you're not right and perfect and it's not worth my effort anymore. go ahead and get your last word in. I will never see it

Does anyone else have a creeping suspicion that Lhazastan is envious of AMF? I don't think he can take being one of the smaller powers.
Last edited by Alexiandra on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The National Republic of Alexiandra
La République Nationale d'Alexiandra
Join the LoAP!

User avatar
Dystopianus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 870
Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dystopianus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:31 am

It really is an awesome guide, but there still is the problem that I will be at a severe disadvantage if my enemy disregards those hints. That is maybe more my fault though, I should only be RPing with people who do take these rules into account.

Really though, the whole practice of moving ships across oceans and to beaches is what bothers me most. Because I always manage to get huge numbers of losses there without getting the chance to do anything in return. Isn't there any way to skip this part of an operation, or otherwise protect the ships? Am I doing something wrong here?

EDIT: Btw, on a semi-related note: in my nation the parents of children learn children how to fire guns and march when they are 5 years old. They are hoping that their children will join the military, which is the best way the poor can rise in social class. Joining the military also seen as one of the highest honours one can have. In Dystopianus there have been many stories about brave knights and stuff who have chased away the evil and such and the military often brags to do just the same; slaying dragons with assault rifles, that kind of stuff. (I know it is insane, but the people believe it.)

With a "warrior culture" like this, plus a theocracy, can I justify a semi-plausible "abnormally good" morale?
Last edited by Dystopianus on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Factbook: check it out before writing any comments about me, this is valueble information that might make you think differently about me. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=89623
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Have you ever been in a battle where trained war kittens were unleashed on the field? Have you heard the screams of the dying as their faces were chewed off by adorable, yet deadly, swarms of kittens? No. No. You have no idea of the terror which a trained kitten squad can inflict, the horror and madness as the wall of fluffy death closes on you. I have been, I have seen. The art of the Kittenmeister is a truly terrible thing to behold

User avatar
Dvardis
Envoy
 
Posts: 256
Founded: Jul 16, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dvardis » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:46 pm

Dystopianus wrote:It really is an awesome guide, but there still is the problem that I will be at a severe disadvantage if my enemy disregards those hints.

Yes, that's why no one's interested in actually paying attention to those things: thinking of RP as a win-lose scenario.
Really though, the whole practice of moving ships across oceans and to beaches is what bothers me most. Because I always manage to get huge numbers of losses there without getting the chance to do anything in return. Isn't there any way to skip this part of an operation, or otherwise protect the ships? Am I doing something wrong here?

Someone ought to write a précis on how naval combat works; NS is notoriously terrible about it. Not that this would stem the tide of "A satellite flyover of a random part of the ocean picked up some blurry dots we have positively identified as an enemy fleet headed straight for us; fire 70,000 missiles", but at least you could make people feel bad about doing that <.<
With a "warrior culture" like this, plus a theocracy, can I justify a semi-plausible "abnormally good" morale?

Tbh a "warrior culture" is just min-maxing -- optimising your country to be A Place What Fights Good. There are rarely any disadvantages to it and when they are as paltry concessions to realism it's always stuff that doesn't affect Fightan Good (like a shitty economy, which for some reason is never taken into account when you're deploying 30 million paratroops to Munchkinland).

Name some modern-tech warrior cultures and you'll quickly see some obvious disadvantages. The Place What Fights Goodest IRL is a liberal democracy which spends about 3-4% of its GDP on the military and has only about 0.5% of its population in combat roles. For that matter, what sets your warrior culture apart from all the 100000 warrior cultures on NS already? Culture should be a fleshed out entity in and of itself, not an extension of your military or a mere excuse to permit you to squash the newfags. If all you want to do is blow stuff up, go play Astro Empires or something.

User avatar
Alexiandra
Minister
 
Posts: 3142
Founded: Feb 04, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alexiandra » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Dystopianus wrote:It really is an awesome guide, but there still is the problem that I will be at a severe disadvantage if my enemy disregards those hints. That is maybe more my fault though, I should only be RPing with people who do take these rules into account.

Really though, the whole practice of moving ships across oceans and to beaches is what bothers me most. Because I always manage to get huge numbers of losses there without getting the chance to do anything in return. Isn't there any way to skip this part of an operation, or otherwise protect the ships? Am I doing something wrong here?

EDIT: Btw, on a semi-related note: in my nation the parents of children learn children how to fire guns and march when they are 5 years old. They are hoping that their children will join the military, which is the best way the poor can rise in social class. Joining the military also seen as one of the highest honours one can have. In Dystopianus there have been many stories about brave knights and stuff who have chased away the evil and such and the military often brags to do just the same; slaying dragons with assault rifles, that kind of stuff. (I know it is insane, but the people believe it.)

With a "warrior culture" like this, plus a theocracy, can I justify a semi-plausible "abnormally good" morale?


I'd say once the men saw what war was actually like they'd be disappointed and their morale would drop.
The National Republic of Alexiandra
La République Nationale d'Alexiandra
Join the LoAP!

User avatar
Third Spanish States
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1454
Founded: Oct 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Spanish States » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Having read "Homage to Catalonia", I cannot really stress how wrong this Tyranny = Better and more motivated combatants bandwagon is. Volunteer-based forces motivated by a greater cause they have no doubts about it being the good cause, like freedom or the sovereignty of their people threatened by foreign invaders, would put any of these "super-warrior cultures" to the run.
PMT Factbook.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, Binaria, Varejao, Hogsweat, Franberry, ChevyRocks, Izistan, Ulanpataar, North-Point, The Mindset, Vault 10, Rosbaningrad, Sharfghotten, Tyrandis, South Sharfgotten, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania.
Izistan wrote:Third Spanish States is a well known far-right activist so his attempts at humor can only be expected.

Umbagar wrote:%*$#! I put a crack in my screen thanks to the awesome "place fist here" sign. >:(

Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Saxon Germany wrote:[...]you're practically a professional troll, TSS.[...]

User avatar
The Grand World Order
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9145
Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Third Spanish States wrote:Having read "Homage to Catalonia", I cannot really stress how wrong this Tyranny = Better and more motivated combatants bandwagon is. Volunteer-based forces motivated by a greater cause they have no doubts about it being the good cause, like freedom or the sovereignty of their people threatened by foreign invaders, would put any of these "super-warrior cultures" to the run.


And this, here, is why the GWO does not into conscription.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, atom/cyberpunk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | The truth is trolling
Resident Fascist Overlord, Final Boss of Civility
Militant Alt-Right
Imperial Fascist Alliance | A History of the GWO (WIP)
I have a front-row seat to the stories you discuss on NSG.
Got Skype? Add me, my Skype is mrflylice!
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Muravyets: Wow. GWO may very well have posted the single most evil thing I've ever read in this forum.
Amerikians, on the Divine Tiger: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

User avatar
Dystopianus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 870
Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dystopianus » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:07 am

Someone ought to write a précis on how naval combat works; NS is notoriously terrible about it. <.<
Someone really ought to do that. I am pretty much stuck in that part of RP.

For that matter, what sets your warrior culture apart from all the 100000 warrior cultures on NS already?
Quite a lot actually. Really though, my culture is more unique then you might think (I'll put it in my factbook soon enough). My culture isn't really "kill kill kill", it's more like "we heard tales of knights in shiny armour, we want to be like them". Save others, fight for freedom and justice, etc. Just like the US in popular video games nowadays (if you think about it).

And of course there are many other aspects of culture as well... The word "culture" is very broad after all.
The Grand World Order wrote:And this, here, is why the GWO does not into conscription
And here, is why Dystopianus does not into conscription either. Because we already have more then enough recruits without consctipting.
Last edited by Dystopianus on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Factbook: check it out before writing any comments about me, this is valueble information that might make you think differently about me. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=89623
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Have you ever been in a battle where trained war kittens were unleashed on the field? Have you heard the screams of the dying as their faces were chewed off by adorable, yet deadly, swarms of kittens? No. No. You have no idea of the terror which a trained kitten squad can inflict, the horror and madness as the wall of fluffy death closes on you. I have been, I have seen. The art of the Kittenmeister is a truly terrible thing to behold

User avatar
Celis
Diplomat
 
Posts: 807
Founded: Apr 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Celis » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:26 am

Quite honestly I'm willing to give this guide a 9/10. It's short, sweet, simple, and to the point. I feel like if we had more people reading this simple guide that the quality of war RP in NS would greatly increase. I'm saying on average. I've read through it and noticed a few things that I missed out on in my first war thread, and I feel that this guide is going to increase my prowess when it comes to roleplaying wars and battles. The thing about using logistics and some things such as what your guide spoke about.. Is that not everyone follow these rules. I mean we could simply ignore them but it's not as satisfying as beating them 1v1 in a war RP. In any event it was a good read. Thumbs up.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Alien Space Bats wrote:You know, I have to ask: How can ultra-conservatives be such a Flaming Critical Mass of Fail? They're laissez-faire devotees who don't understand capitalism, Rand devotees who never really read Rand, strict Constitutionalists who don't understand the Constitution, most of them profess to be Christians while not understanding Christianity, and they're universally ignorant of history and incapable of using logic.

User avatar
Mediterreania
Senator
 
Posts: 3765
Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:40 am

Dystopianus wrote:
Someone ought to write a précis on how naval combat works; NS is notoriously terrible about it. <.<
Someone really ought to do that. I am pretty much stuck in that part of RP.


Basic Primer to Naval Warfare, by Questers
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Free Assembly - decentralized group of local associations. Main faction.
-Workers' Republic - anarcho-syndicalist commune
-República Morsica (Betico)
-Republic of Lusca
-Catholic State (The Archbishop of Siraucsa)

User avatar
Tergnitz
Senator
 
Posts: 4149
Founded: Nov 06, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Tergnitz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:02 am

Lhazastan wrote:AMF, you can't ignore the IC threads because all your IC threads are you throwing around your weight, and your nation is characterized specifically so that that is all you do outside of Gholgoth. every single time you come back, it's with a bait thread to get people to condemn you or fight you, and give you a reason to squash them. curious how that happened when that's allegedly not all that matters to you. we can't overlook that everything with is just so perfect for you to never do anything but invade and never have to worry about invasion because you've surrounded yourself with friends who will never allow fair fights

everyone knows Gholgoth's reputation. the reason people join it is because it makes them invincible and allows them to do anything they want in II because no one will do anything to them for fear of being dogpiled by antiquities and pre-06s

and really:

You can't just sign up for this site and say that you're on equal ground as those who have been here for awhile just because you say so.


this is why you will not actually lose. it doesn't help anyone that you think yourself better because you happened not to grow out of this site yet. and if you do "lose", the only way it'll happen is because it is meaningless for you, because you can only lose an invasion of someone else, which is the defender's choice to begin with, so of course you will if they say so

when you're not risking anything, you can claim anything you want. you'd never lose when on the defensive. you've arranged it so that it's impossible

edit: also, I'm done, because you'll never accept that you're not right and perfect and it's not worth my effort anymore. go ahead and get your last word in. I will never see it

Haters gonna hate.

User avatar
Saxon Germany
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 108
Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Saxon Germany » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:24 am

'Tis a good thread AMF, shame that you're now being insulted by TSS and Lhazastan. TSS, in the words of your NSD brethren who've been DEAT'ed over the years for thinking they're too good for NS so they don't have to follow the rules;

Deal with it. (Besides, last time I checked SMS it was dead. Yeah, real active 'good' RP'ers.


Lhazastan, you seem to think that AMF was equating 'Military warrior culture' with 'Omigod I'mma beat you now.' No. What he was linking it to is a history of martial tradition. Throughout this thread you've done nothing but whine and insult him and show your ignorance. From your posts in the FT Argument thread I expected better.
Now the puppet of Vetok for Smoke and Steel - For when Dieselpunk meets Future-tech.

Smoke and Steel Fourth Reich Nation-Account

Das Vierte Reich Kommt

User avatar
Dystopianus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 870
Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dystopianus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:32 pm

Mediterreania wrote:
Dystopianus wrote:Someone really ought to do that. I am pretty much stuck in that part of RP.


Basic Primer to Naval Warfare, by Questers
I readed it before, and at the beginning it didn't really help me. After I asked someone at NSD for some more information, now I understand.
Last edited by Dystopianus on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook: check it out before writing any comments about me, this is valueble information that might make you think differently about me. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=89623
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Have you ever been in a battle where trained war kittens were unleashed on the field? Have you heard the screams of the dying as their faces were chewed off by adorable, yet deadly, swarms of kittens? No. No. You have no idea of the terror which a trained kitten squad can inflict, the horror and madness as the wall of fluffy death closes on you. I have been, I have seen. The art of the Kittenmeister is a truly terrible thing to behold

User avatar
Third Spanish States
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1454
Founded: Oct 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Spanish States » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:49 pm

Saxon Germany wrote:'Tis a good thread AMF, shame that you're now being insulted by TSS and Lhazastan. TSS, in the words of your NSD brethren who've been DEAT'ed over the years for thinking they're too good for NS so they don't have to follow the rules;

Deal with it.


-snip-


How predictable "Hai gais I hate NSD and you are always right can I become mod", or "Hai gais I want join inner circle of #g clique". Obvious bias favorable to those who put comments like yours impeaches me of providing a proper answer to your yesman comment over a matter that has been already obviously left alone and is tangential to the thread's content, left alone for a good reason because obviously, everything that had to be written about it already was.

There are no legal, fair following and application of rules here as surely as Dear Leader thinking you look funny and wanting you executed in North Korea isn't written anywhere. But that is not the subject at hand and that is a problem that will last until this site goes offline, as will last those who exploit it by being liars and sucking up in exchange of favors and ego strokes. The subject at hand is that you obviously tried to troll me, perhaps in the hopes the immunity of those who post opinions favorable to the status quo shall grant you the pleasure of using mods as weapons in this thread. On that, I will just put another name in my fortunately tiny ignore_list, and hope you're not a puppet of someone who would rather not have his main associated with this kind of comment you made.

And to finish this, commenting on a potential problem is not an "insult" to the great, flawless ones in the join date lottery. Only a gigantic ego would treat any form of direct or tangential criticism as an insult, and besides, I didn't give names, and there are more than just one person who does that thing(or did it before moving offsite) so my comment, specifically, was not targeted at anybody. Someone who wouldn't have no feeling of guilty about the subject wouldn't feel "insulted".

And, like I say when I know the futility of hoping improvement over something inherent to a few cliques that won't ever change for the best, let's leave at that.

Dystopianus wrote:
I readed it before, and at the beginning it didn't really help me. After I asked someone at NSD for some more information, now I understand.


Speaking about it, wouldn't it be better to make a "Guides to Ground, Naval and Air Warfare" sticky linking to each of them? Not that it would change much at this point, but it would be more comprehensive.
Last edited by Third Spanish States on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMT Factbook.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, Binaria, Varejao, Hogsweat, Franberry, ChevyRocks, Izistan, Ulanpataar, North-Point, The Mindset, Vault 10, Rosbaningrad, Sharfghotten, Tyrandis, South Sharfgotten, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania.
Izistan wrote:Third Spanish States is a well known far-right activist so his attempts at humor can only be expected.

Umbagar wrote:%*$#! I put a crack in my screen thanks to the awesome "place fist here" sign. >:(

Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Saxon Germany wrote:[...]you're practically a professional troll, TSS.[...]

PreviousNext

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blackhelm Confederacy, Finswedeway, Keomora, Quen Minh

Remove ads