NATION

PASSWORD

The Monotony of the Life of a Servant (Etharia Only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Dominatus Leviathan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

The Monotony of the Life of a Servant (Etharia Only)

Postby Dominatus Leviathan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:36 pm

The Monotony of the Life of a Servant (Part 0)

OOC: In this series of posts, I will detail and analyse the life of the principal girl, who will succeed or fail according to her own decisions in her situations, flanked by a surrounding cast of characters with their own gains, goals that they seek, within the greater context of Michu, and Etharia greater still, that I will summarise here. Before all that though, a summary of the Empire for any non Etharians viewing this thread.

The Celestial Empire of Michu is a major player on the Etharian world stage, and the oldest Empire to exist in some form. The Empire has endured the centuries of tribulations under various names, but the revolution and subsequent reunification of 2018-9 was one of the worst, with the Imperial Government almost being unseated forever, bringing an end to dynastic rule, however, the revolution was ended, leading to an odd period of national rediscovery and democratisation. The Imperial Government now works in tandem with the Coalition of Peace, a selection of political parties elected by the masses to represent them in the Celestial Parliament. The Lords of old are now monitored closely by the Internal Affairs Department, and most of their duties have been appointed to commoners, such as the train lines. The Empress and her Court sits in the innermost chambers of the Forbidden City, a land separated from the rest of the nation by thick walls and tradition. While Michu offers democracy and rights to all it’s people outside, inside of the City Walls, those rights mean nothing. Entering the City means abiding by the rules of the Imperial Court, set by Centuries old Imperial Jurists, who cared little for personal liberty. The Forbidden City and everyone inside it exists to serve the Emperors of the Yonsheng Dynasty, etiquette is enforced by the Disciplinary Office, Concubines and Princes. The City is sometimes called “The Anchor”, because of it’s maintenance of the oldest of the Empire’s traditions.

Characters involved (SO FAR)

Changying Ju
Role in the Story: Main Character, Changying is the principal character of the thread, a maid from Xihou province in the South of the nation. Her parents were both involved in an anti government movement, so Changying has been sent to the Imperial Palace to make up for her families misdeeds, and if possible, rise up the ranks to earn herself and her family some honour and glory. She harbours a deep hatred for nepotism, particularly in the Bright Green Banner, the Banner involved in the suppression of her family’s rebellion in 2018. She has been made into a lower class girl, from a relatively middle class family, so she is anxious to improve her financial status.
Ethnicity: Mandu

Chenhua Mei
Role in the story: Mei is Changying’s closest childhood friend. The daughter of a fervent revolutionary during the revolutionary war. She achieved minor celebrity status as “The Woman in Red” for her activism in the opening days of the revolution, famously calling for her goldern dress, representing the Dynasty, be soaked red in the blood of the reactionaries, as well as her name, Mei, meaning a kind of red gem. She was pardoned as per the Coalition Treaty, and has barely changed in that role. Disliked by the City staff, and Changying continues to try and moderate her.

Shen Chuan
Role in the story: Changying and Chenhua’s immediate superior, as head of the Shom Palace, where they all work. Shen is outwardly strict, but likes Changying. However, her loyalty is to her mistress first, and won’t hesitate to hamper Changying’s efforts if it will negatively impact the 7th Princess’ goals.

Seventh Princess (Jia Shensheng)
Role in the story: The mistress of Changying, Mei, and Shen. She is often frustrated about City politics, and takes her anger out on her subjects. She is dissatisfied with Michu’s democratic direction, and the Empress’ domestic policy. Regarding the Mandu majority as naturally inferior to the Soldeir people, she is a major supporter of the Aristocrat faction in the Celestial Parliament, and meets with several members of them frequently. She focuses on her own legacy, with her only son, being her prized trophy.
Ethnicity: Soldeir

Second Prince (Baoling Shensheng)
Role in the story: The Second Prince is the heir apparent, and backed by several Imperial Banners. He is well meaning but generally incompetent and an easily manipulated person. He is a common target of ridicule by the other princes and princesses, who roundly despise him, but fear his power. Should he become Emperor in the future, Michu will enter an age of strong officials and eunuchs, led by the military with a puppet Emperor. This outcome is desirable to many in the Imperial Parliament too, as they would love to exert more power and use the Emperor’s benevolent personality to aid their re-election campaigns. The proper role of a Constitutional Monarch.

Third Prince (Guozhi Shensheng)

The Third Prince is seen as boring, a conservative generally. He was raised in luxury and is loyal to the Empress, not really caring about the succession crisis and preferring to live peacefully with his wife. He despises the never ending battle for the throne, and wants it all to end. The Empress is rather fond of him, and regularly likes to spend time with her older brother. He is one of the ideal prince to serve, due to his benevolent, lack of desire for intrigue, and his generosity in gifts. He served in the standard army as an infantryman under a false name, with the blessing of the former Emperor, so that he could see what life was like for the average serviceman. The army respects him, and several members of the standard army call for him to put his name in the contest to be Emperor, to ensure an era of stability and prosperity.

Fourth Prince Tingchu (Yongli Shensheng)
The Fourth Prince is a debauched populistic man. He is a lover of women, and the common life’s appeals. One of the most open members of the Royal family to other ethnicities and change, he frequently rampages around the country promoting equality between the races, the value of other cultures and the importance of fashion in dictating culture. He is a direct threat for the throne of Michu, and does not care for Imperial tradition. He is sought by many imperial female servants, due to his kindness towards them, and his lack of care for many for traditions like kowtowing. He is currently serving as Lord Foreign Minister and Cultural Studies, and is away in Noremacia, where he is serving as a representative of the Michise government.

Fifth Princess (Huanliu Shensheng)
The Fifth Princess is not very prominent in the Imperial Court, with little noticeable traits. She is shy, and keeps to herself generally. She is of modest beauty and was only recently married, her husband is a general of the Standard Army.

Eighth Princess (Guangi Shensheng)
A friend to the Fifth Princess, and husband of the Eighth Prince, who is fighting as a commander in the Imperial Army, with little interest in court politics. She is irritated by this, her main motivation to marry into the royal family is to become the Empress. Thus, maids despise her for her shrewd, power driven personality with little to spare for the actual people of Michu.

Xioju Guan, Head of Staff
The head of Palace staff, and personal attendent of the Empress, Xioju is the defacto controller of the City. His main interest is in conserving his own power, and thus, will use his position to assist favoured Imperial Princes in their quest for the throne, his allegiance shifting with whomever is most popular. He is dependable though, if a prince is in favour, he will invest significant energy into their safety.

This RP is open to anyone in Etharia, just send an application.
Role in story:
Ethnicity:
The second post will cover the rules of the Palace, and strict punishments will come to people who do not respect the Celestial Throne and it’s staff enough.
Last edited by Dominatus Leviathan on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Celestial Empire of Michu. Qing China with simplified characters, Manchu and a British Westminster system.

支配鲲朝和米楚帝国
My Politics IRL
    Monarchism
    Capitalist (Austrian)
    Christianity

神圣皇后万岁万岁万万岁
Empress live for 10,000 years!

Dominatus Leviathan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dominatus Leviathan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:07 am

The Gates of Freedom Closing
I remember when Xihou’s garrison burned, and when the reactionary soldiers came, put out the fires, of both dissent and destruction, then placed the disgusting banner of the Republic on the garrison, surrounded by the hung corpses of revolutionaries. The battle of Xihou was one of the worst of the war, with the victorious Republicans spending a good few weeks counting the dead and hanging the known revolutionary survivors. My family crossed the border into former Yuan territory, joined by my lifelong friend, Mei and her family. The Republicans dedicated two battalions to finding the Woman in Red and her family, so Mei fled deeper into Yuan, and even attempted to get refugee status in Treko. She was declined, but many partisans of either side of the conflict waited for us in former Yuan, bandits attempting to ambush us were plentiful throughout the wasteland of Yuan. My father and mother were caught by a roving brigade of Republicans, whose sole purpose was to hunt down political refugees in Yuan. They were sent back to Xihou and executed. Mei’s family abandoned her in favour of political asylum by the reigning Republican government. A grand example of propaganda, revolutionaries turning on their celebrity daughter in favour of the republican system. Left on our own and hungry in the wastes, we stayed for months in the Yuan territories, looking for scraps of food or money with a commune of other revolutionary survivors. We received weekly orders from high command via radio, usually conveyed through the leader, Jianguo Da, whose orders were beyond question or doubt. An extremely charismatic man. We knew nothing of his background or his qualifications, only that he was willing to throw any number of lives towards the eventual goal of a revolutionary state. We all looked up to him, he was like a red god who was never wrong, when he gave us instructions, we would follow them to the letter and would always win. Any loses of men were written off by him as for the Brotherhood. Eventually, when supplies ran low, he ordered us to instead attack the Yuan military stockpiles, where we lost roughly half of our partisans, but won the supplies. Jianguo claimed this was our greatest victory, those who jumped through the fire and emerged stronger, enhanced spirit, and the arms to do more damage. His last order came a week later, to harass any anti revolutionary forces that entered Yuan. For a few weeks after this, we thought Jianguo was testing us, but no further instructions came, and many started to desert. Mei would chastise any deserters, and would usually attempt to execute them before I stopped her. After a month more of dwindling morale and supplies, a soldier with an odd hairstyle, like the Emperors of old, approached us, flanked by four similarly fashion inclined soldiers. The lead soldier lowered his weapon, and delivered us the news that the war was over, the old regime was back, and the Empress once again sat in the Forbidden City. I bought out the commune to hear the man’s news. He presented an Imperial Seal to us, showing his authenticity, and there were three reactions among the commune, the most radical pulled out their weapons and assumed the men were lying, Mei was part of this group, and the man simply smiled and said

“If you shoot me a thousand more will come, and won’t be so magnanimous.”

It was a foolish bluff, most of the weapons being primed didn’t even have ammunition at this point, which the man probably assumed. The second group, those who waived on mental breakdown or were incredibly committed to the cause, simply kill themselves with their remaining ammunition, rather than face a reality with the old regime back in power. This disturbed me so much that it stayed with me, watching about a fifth of my friends kill themselves upon this man’s words. The man sighed, and asked his men to give my friends a respectful burial. The final group included myself, who just stared in awe at the man. He continued to explain that the Empire’s return was a boon to us, who had been abandoned by the revolution, and hunted by the republicans. The Empress offered us amnesty in her grace, and invited us to return to Michu. I accepted the man’s hand and forcefully took Mei along. The Revolution was dead, and Heaven had favoured the Yonsheng Dynasty once again. I learned in the car that the revolutionaries had not been purged, as we were told would happen, and were instead invited to form a Coalition that would maintain peace. Mei maintained that the Empire’s entire dynastic system was flawed, and a way of controlling the masses, to which the man just laughed. He called Mei a victim of a cult, and told her that the Empire is merciful, so she is receiving no punishment, but in the future, she would respect her majesty and her institutions. When the modest blue car arrived at Xihou, I could not bear to leave, my house was gone, the garrison I called home for months was gone. The man put a hand on my shoulder

“I have another proposal for you. Your family is gone, and your home is destroyed, you have no way of providing for yourself. I offer you an alternative. My home is a very nourishing place. You should work for us in Shaotai.”

I agreed and we left Xihou. It seemed like forever, but we finally arrived at an airport that looked damaged but functional. When we entered, two staff ran up to my benefactor, and denied him entrance, as the runway was damaged. He laughed deeply and showed the Seal from earlier. The staff member’s eyes went wide, and the three began speaking in a language I could not understand. The two staff members bowed three times and didn’t even ask for payment, but he seemed to pay anyway. I asked my benefactor what he said to the staff, and he replied

“I simply have a private plane that does not require much of an airstrip, and showed them who I speak on the authority of.”

Despite his use of weasel words, it was clear this man did not want to unveil his identity, which gave me reason to fear. I wondered if he was some kind of human trafficker, or kidnapper. His plane looked too luxurious to be a simple kidnapper though, it was incredible, looking sleek, with writing on it that was similar to his Seal, that I could not read, only admire. Mei, who had remained very silent, started to whisper that I should not trust this man, however, I was overcome by his seeming benevolence, and let him take me on his plane. It took several hours to fly on the plane, while the man greeted another person in the uniform of an Imperial General. I recognised them from my history books and my experience in Yuan. They conversed for several minutes in their own tongue, and the General pulled out a board, with many black and white pieces, and the two began placing the piece on the board in an elaborate manner. After a moment of staring, the first man called me over, and invited me to watch them play, while the general glared at me. I accepted the man’s invitation, and he explained the rules. Essentially it was a rare, Imperial form of chess played by mainly aristocracy, known as “Go”. It looked complicated, and I was transfixed. The General stood up, and shouted at me

“How dare you not show the proper respect to your superiors! Do you even know who this man is or where we are going!?”

I took a step back and almost fell over, and my benefactor quickly rose to my defense, telling the General to stand down. He reached a hand out for me, and helped me up. He told me to rest with Mei while he finishes the game of Go to dissipate the tension in the plane. When I awoke, I was tapped by my benefactor, who got me out of the car and we started to walk. Mei kept her distance, but gradually adjusted, as we strolled for hours in Bejang. I’ve never been in this place before, but it seemed so huge, the Empire had dedicated significant resources into maintaining this place throughout the revolution, and repairing the infrastructure. The people seem happy and free, not at all like Yuan or Xihou during the war. We even saw foreigners! They generally wore western suits, as we would see in schoolbooks and propaganda videos. The Empire could maintain this paradise, and demanded little in return. The economic contribution by the population in taxes was lower than the revolutionaries ever proposed, and the Empire values merit more than men behind radios who got their positions through shadowy deals. The Empire seemed like a bastion of liberty in this place, no corrupt Lords stealing from the people, just giant companies practically begging for business, leading to a flourishing capitalist class that was working wonders putting the people displaced by the civil war back into employment. The people would bow before us, and Mei would angrily tell them off each time, I had long since worked out that the man accompanying us was someone important, but I had no idea why he was bothering with two poor girls from Xihou. I had dreams when I was young about the Palace, so I asked the man if we could see it. He laughed, and said we would see it very soon, finally unveiling who he was

“I am Guozhi Shensheng. Third Prince of Michu. You are going to the Forbidden City, where the Emperors have lived for centuries, a place separate from the commoners, where the decisions of government get made. A place unfortunately full of intrigue and deception, but full of glorious people.”

I was expecting someone important, but a man of the Shensheng Dynasty? I was full of glee that such a person was even paying us attention. I felt as though the heavens themselves were protecting me. I committed myself one hundred percent to my new role, if only to repay the heavens and Guozhi for his kindness. Imperial maids get paid extremely well, so if I can, I’d like to establish a place for myself in the world, earn back some money that my family had committed to the revolution and got nothing from. Mei, only sarcastically bowed. I could not focus on her, though. The palace had many rules, and even worse punishments for not following said rules. We spent the rest of the walk discussing the palace walls, manner of walking, greeting people, eating etiquette, until we arrived at the Palace gates, and I entered with the Prince, the gates then shut, sealing me inside the place that would give me prosperity, or give me death, my last hope for salvation, or the end of everything.
The Celestial Empire of Michu. Qing China with simplified characters, Manchu and a British Westminster system.

支配鲲朝和米楚帝国
My Politics IRL
    Monarchism
    Capitalist (Austrian)
    Christianity

神圣皇后万岁万岁万万岁

Dominatus Leviathan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

The Monotony of the Life of a Servant (Part 2)

Postby Dominatus Leviathan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:13 am

The Monotony of a Servant’s Life (Part 3)

OOC: Sorry this chapter is less eventful, its more about introducing some characters and intrigue. Big things are coming don't worry!

The Prince took us inside the City walls, and to a building on the outskirts of the city. He directed us inside, towards a small building, that reminded me of a town hall back in Xihou, when I was young, only, much more full of gold. The Prince explained that maids are filtered by ability into different palaces, where they serve unless a noble requests their redeployment, needing approval by the Internal Affairs Department, which operated like a secret police inside the palace, and any harem involved in the royal family. They have been empowered by the Empress to fill this role, before then they were a defacto powerless organisation for show. Alternatively, the Empress herself or a favoured Prince can approve a transfer. These matters are almost always approved by the Empress, as she has more important things than little maids. Once we arrived, he explained our background to a middle aged man in a red robe. He introduced himself as Xioju Guan, the Chief Eunuch of her majesty, who is tasked with observing maids, and enforcing discipline. He seemed sly, and due to being around the Empress so much, he is incredibly favoured, I quickly sought to befriend him, his support could prove critical in my rise to glory. He sized me up, I naturally knew how to kowtow, so he was impressed by my piety and respect. This was a deliberate move. I wanted his attention, merely for the procurement of better living conditions, despite my showing, he paid more attention to Mei, who refused to even bow. He laughed slightly at her defiance, indicating us to follow him. His red robe was designed beautifully, despite his lack of royal status or real manhood. Elaborate coats of arms, swords, phoenixes, no doubt gifted to him by the Empress herself, or perhaps it was just a uniform. We were introduced to around one hundred girls in archaic maid uniforms. Their hair was dressed upwards, with odd hair accessories to make themselves look more prestigious. I’ve seen Imperial Concubines in books, so the accessories looked rather pitiful in comparison. I remembered a critical fact that I once saw in a drama, comparing oneself to an Imperial Concubine, or anyone above, is a punishable offence. I made a mental note of this, but this severely limits my manner of speech. If I am to rise in the ranks, I may require friendship with some of them. The Empire is notorious for it’s 继承战争, or it’s Inheritance Wars, within the Forbidden City, Princes fight for the Throne by appealing to the Monarch. These wars rarely escalate beyond intrigue and a few executions once the winner takes power, but has broken into open violence before. Concubines play a leading role in lending their support to ambitious Princes, whether direct wives of the Emperor are most useful, an alliance with a Prince’s wife can allow for huge sources of information, even assassination or peaceful removal of a Prince’s claim. He led me and Mei to separate rooms, where I met three girls who looked around my age. The one in the centre approached first, followed by the other two, and cheerfully said

“Hello! I’m Fan Lin! These are my friends, Daiyu Xia, and Hu Howin. We come from the Shaotai Province.” Fan Lin was of moderate appearance, while Daiyu was beautiful, strong dark hair, but seemed shy. Hu, had a much rounder face, and was taller than the other two, even taller than me. I pondered what possible success could such a woman have in the Imperial Palace, but Fan Lin continued, perhaps seizing me up while I was analysing the other two. “Where are you from? Your accent does not sound local.” Her intentions seemed fair and innocent, so I felt comfortable disclosing basic information. “I am Changying Ju, from the Xihou Province in Southern Michu, it’s a pleasure to meet you all.” I barely noticed, but Fan Lin’s cheerful smile shifted towards a malicious shape, “Xihou? I doubt anyone in the City even knows where that is. I wouldn’t put your hopes up towards achieving anything, the administrators are notoriously biased towards people from Shaotai. Nothing personal, obviously, however. I must tell you the truth.” The feelings of comfort in my situation was removed, as a fear of irrelevance crept into my mind, if the staff of the City really did hate my origins, where would I go? Why waste my time, I wondered. However, I simply dedicated myself to make up for those deficiencies, to force the staff to recognise my talent. Hu walked towards me assertively, putting a hand on my shoulder, and speaking in a softer tone than I expected, yet still an obvious Shaotai accent. “Fan, don’t tease the new girl too much! We should work together to ensure we all do well impressing out masters, and allow us to share in the rewards of our labour, happy daughters of the nation, as Daiyu would say some long dead philosopher wrote!” She was very happy, probably detecting my unease. Daiyu moved forward, seemingly intrigued by me. “Changying Ju. Flourishing Jade. (Chinese meaning of her name) Your name is sweet, Xihou is known for its Jade mining. I would mine my entire life for skin as soft as yours.” I was amused by her swift analysis of my name, and knowledge of Xihou’s history, though her compliments sound off, and to a more social person, may seem creepy.

I paid it little mind, and Xioju Guan, the Chief Eunuch, arrived. With a piece of exotic paper, which he read out clearly “All prospectus maids will prepare a meal, with any ingredients in the Imperial kitchen of the Green Rank, to be served at dinner time for the Chief Eunuch, and the Imperial Judges.” Green ranked ingredients are common, available to maids and other regular servants of the Imperial Court. These ingredients are generally from Shaotai, but with a limited amount of foods from the other provinces. “Followed by, Calligraphy, where the maid may draw an allocated character. These will also be shown at dinner time. Ju, Changying. You will be drawing Beautiful Eyes (瞐). Howin, Hu. You will be drawing Mound (垚). Xia, Daiyu. You will be drawing Intelligence (灵).” My heart sank, I was barely taught calligraphy, relying mostly on computers and such to communicate with text. I resolved myself to do amazing in the cooking test to make up for calligraphy, which I would no doubt fail. “And finally, there will be a courtesy test, where we will judge your character, your mannerisms, and your adoption of Imperial rules.” This one will be difficult for Mei, I thought. It could not be helped, myself and the three girls shuffled into the Imperial kitchen to begin creating meals, as I wondered how Mei’s orientation was going.

The kitchen was pristine, and the three girls giggled near me. We assembled our equipment and there was a eunuch standing in a separate room, requisitioning ingredients for us. Lin spoke to the eunuch for a while, while Diayu stood with her apron quietly choping away at some carrots. She asked Lin for some chocolate Spices from Tanghui, Lin promptly asked the eunuch for some, and delivered it to Diayu. I decided on a simple dish of noodles soaked in soup, coated in sugar, sweet sauce from the Miatu, and chocolates from Shaotai. The meal, while basic, is a safe choice that would demonstrate my piety. I checked on Hu and Lin, who were making extravagant meats, with vegetable dressing. I wondered what the ingredients were to make the chicken shine so brightly. “It’s oil from Shaotai!” Hu exclaimed to me, before I even asked. I admired their creations for a few minutes, laughing and enjoying the atmosphere, before returning to my area. The calligraphy section stumped me. I didn’t know the character, and I was never taught how to employ calligraphy correctly. I simply wrote the name of a hero in a story I once read when I was young, Prince Caowei. It’s complexity would impress, at least I hope. All that was left was the courtesy section.

Chenhua Mei

The Imperialistic leader of the palace staff reeked of opulence and exploitation. Several people seemed to have recognised me as the Woman in Red, shooting me glares, while the Chief Eunuch paid much attention to me, acting like a kind old man. I knew it was an act, but I did not understand his intentions. It would not distract me, however. My mission was clear, complete the quest that the Revolution began, the dismantling of all feudal institutions, and the propagation of the Red Wave throughout the world. My plan would be a gradual undermining of the imperial process, rallying the bureaucrats and servants here into my political philosophy, and the long march through the state would begin in earnest. If the opportunity presents itself, I will attempt to cut the head of the snake, by assassinating the Empress of Michu. Once that is done, my life will be complete, and the final instruction of Leader Jianguo Da will be fulfilled. The Woman in Red shall not bow before the superstitious imperialists, lest my soul be tainted by their evils. I braced myself for the corruption and nepotism that I will inevitably see, as the Chief Eunuch led me to a private room, unlike Changying, who got three girls to talk to. The Chief Eunuch returned with a red piece of paper, and read out loud some instructions for my initiation. “Chenhua Mei will be tested in three categories. First, she will cook a meal for the Judges, and the Chief Eunuch. Second, she will be tested on Calligraphy. She will be writing the character Money. (贝). Finally, she will be judged on courtesy. Each will be rated 1-8, and her final score will determine her position.” I practically wanted to execute this man, he asks me to submit to these trivial, exploitative tests? No doubt someone on the judge panel will accept “favours” for courtesy points. As well as this, it cannot be a coincidence that I was ordered to draw the character for money! It must be a way of mocking my reputation as a soldier of the Revolution. Nonetheless, I got to work on crafting a meal. With the full kitchen of the Empire at my disposal, I was spoiled for choice. I immediately wanted to distinguish myself from the rest by focusing on Xihou foods, combined with Shaotai to demonstrate my cultural awareness and solidarity with the people of the nation. I used a mix of herbs unique to Xihou on the soup, which I cooked and doused a fantastic smelling chicken inside. This enhances the flavour of both, and was a great delicacy back in the 1700s, combined with vegetable dressed, spices from overseas, and beef that was covered in sweet sauce. Such a metaphysical approach would highlight my poetic knowledge, and demonstrate the uniqueness of my character. The dish was ready in about two hours. I slightly overdid the chicken, but besides that, I was incredibly proud of my creation. A flash of anger arouses in me as I remembered that I would not enjoy the fruits of my labour, instead, some bureaucrats would enjoy my food. I resisted the urge to spit in my food, instead, I promised to ruin the system they fight to maintain. The second task, calligraphy. My mother taught me the art, so I had no issue with the simple character of money, though I despise currency as a concept. Capitalism has no place in civilisation. All that was left was courtesy, which was a mystery to me…

Xioju Guan

I stood in my majestic robe of purity, bestowed by the former Emperor to me for my loyalty, and my crucial support in his ascension to the throne of Michu. While the training of maids was a trivial task, the possibilities were endless for political opportunities. My role as a kingmaker relies on information, capable enforcers and sabeuters to ensure that unwanted competitors do not spring up. The Empress was raised by me since she was a child, she trusts me as she would trust her own parents, so my support for any candidate holds much sway. I pondered how powerful I could become if I use my influence to allow a relative outsider to rise to the throne, the rewards it would bring, and the stability it guarantees. One potential leak, my adopted son, Deng Xiejie. He acts as a loyal sabeuter, but he is very new to the role, and easily swayed by women’s attention. His loyalty must be enforced by promises of power. He is a rather meek boy, but he’ll do his job. I went over to him while he was laying the table for the maids, and asked him how the selection process was going. He was tasked with the elimination of the girl named Daiyu. Her family is linked to the military, and is backing the Second Prince for the Throne. This would severely damage the Empire, and put my own position at risk. He assured me that the “secret ingredient” was delivered to Fan Lin, who we are supporting, in hopes of establishing her as the Empress’ personal maid. This will allow us even greater influence over the Empress’ directions in policy. One maid, Chenhua Mei, the so called Woman in Red, an unabashed revolutionary, caught my interest. She should fear more, for the Palace is not a place for dissent. Soon, it was time to call the maids in, and I was giddy with anticipation to see the end of the Xia family’s infiltration of the Forbidden City.

We gathered the judges, two Imperial Jurists, famous for their constitutional expertise and incorruptibility, and an older Imperial maid, favoured by the old Emperor. The maids were summoned, and one by one, we went through them. The maids were generally sub par, meals were too basic, most didn’t bother with calligraphy, and courtesy was varying like wildfire. We judged maids on looks, clothing accessories, posture, manner of walking, speech patterns, or just personal preference. Eventually, it became time for the maids of interest, first was Fan Lin. Her meal, with my support, was supported by the full range of the Imperial kitchen, looked fantastic, and tasted incredible. The judges were stunned by her cooking skills, just as planned. We gave her a perfect eight, and the elderly maid asked Lin if Lin could cook for her at a later date. Her calligraphy was also, above average. She was not trained for the job, but she was successful. We could tell her stroke order was incorrect, and the character was slanted to the right. We settled on a five. Finally, her courtesy. It was nothing remarkable. Being a girl from the outskirts of Shaotai, she’d know basics such as bowing, but probably believed it wouldn’t be necessary if we were not officially royalty. She sneezed rather loudly, so the Jurists wanted to deduct points. As much as I contested their harsh ruling, I was overruled, and she was given a three for courtesy. Still average, most girls got around two or three. A lack of enthusiasm for the job meant that qualified maids were difficult to come by. Then, Hu Howin approached. She was the assertive type, so she lost out on courtesy. Her cooking skills were decent, but rather bland. She got a three in cooking. Her calligraphy was good, however. She received a seven for her correctly drawn character. She received a two for courtesy, probably due to her physical appearance. While morally wrong, I cannot launch anti corruption probes without blowing my cover. Next, was the enemy I was waiting for, Daiyu Xia. Her food was of high quality, despite only having access to Green Ranked ingredients. I smiled as the Jurist to my left ate the food, but instead of choking from the sabotage, he seemed to enjoy it, and congratulated the girl on her culinary skills! I tried the food, and there could be no mistake. My son had failed to pass the poison! I seethed with anger, and couldn’t object to her perfect eight score. Her calligraphy was similarly excellent, I could not realistically sabotage that. She drew the character perfectly, perhaps she had been tutored for this coup by her parents, I wondered. I managed to get her a seven, rather than a perfect eight, just for a slight tear in the paper that I claimed was done out of frustration, and thus was not worthy of an eight. Her courtesy score was low, however. She was too shy, didn’t stand out at all, so I justified giving her a two. A tad unfair, but this is necessary for my prosperity and stability. Next, was the girl Changying Ju, from Xihou. Former revolutionary, but recanted her former views. As she entered, she correctly waved her handkerchief, and uttered “Greetings and Fortune to the Chief Eunuch, my Lord Jurists, and my senior.” I smiled, as this girl was more aware of Imperial traditions then most. Her food looked aesthetically pleasing, if a little normal. She was bought in by the Third Prince, so I probed her on her choices of food. She replied in a passive manner “I used this choice of food to reflect my own experiences. The noodles in soup are to emulate the soup found in my home province of Xihou, while the noodles represent the blandness of life before committing myself to the Empire’s interests, and truly honouring my ancestors. The sweet sauce is from Miatu, which I specifically choose to represent the sweet taste of victory that the people of Michu felt when our brothers and sisters were freed from the Trekkish fiends.” I was thoroughly impressed by the answer, I questioned her further. “Why did you join the Imperial Court after your revolutionary career?” She bowed, and replied again in a careful tone “As the gracious Sunguzhu Emperor said, The convert’s zeal, her faith, shines brighter than the stars. I echo these sentiments, but I can never shine brighter than her Majesty.” I was swayed, and was determined to give her a seven. However, when the Jurist to my left took a bite of her food, he started choking! Either this woman had tried to poison an Imperial official, or some mistake happened with the poison I intended for Xia! I could not cover for the girl, despite how it was clearly not her fault, so I ordered the doctor and we were forced to give her one, after explaining that the food of Green Rank may be contaminated with germs, and the cooking staff should receive a beating for incompetence. Her calligraphy was odd. It was not Beautiful, as she was ordered to draw, instead, it was the name of a Prince of old. The name was incredibly complicated, but it was not the correct character. It was immaculate though, so I convinced the staff to give her a five, better than not turning anything in. I felt truly sorry for that girl, and I wish her great things in the future. After this, was the Woman in Red. She entered, and presented her food. She gave a very basic dish, similar to Ju, but made with more ingredients than Green Rank. I let her do so out of interest. Her creativity leaves much to be desired, but it tasted decent, so we gave her a five. Her calligraphy was a seven, the character was money, and incredibly easy. Her courtesy was terrible, however. No bow, she spoke like she was talking to a friend, rather than a superior. While we were deciding her final score. Disaster struck, the Sixth Prince burst into the room! He is rather infamous for the amount of maids he has, and his megalomania, he was seeking another maid. He took one look at Mei, and something must have clicked inside him. Despite being the only person in the room to not bow or kowtow, he focused on her, wide eyed. Stunned by her beauty, most likely. He immediately demanded her, and she even had the fortitude to decline! Of course, there was no harm in letting him have her, better than letting the Woman in Red go unpunished for her unrepentant rebellious ways. The Sixth Prince would act as the item of fear for bad maids, who would seek to avoid him for his drunkenness, his abusive tendencies, and his wastefulness. Such is the fate of the disobedient, to become playthings of the worst elements of society. I will avoid such fates, I thought, as I sent the Sixth Prince off, with his victim.

Changying Ju

When the Jurist choked, I felt death’s hand on my shoulder, the Imperial Court does not tolerate assasination, and would put me to a painful death, if the Chief Eunuch had not intervened. My score was average, and I was sent to serve the Eighth Princess, married to the Eighth Prince, brother of the Empress. A low posting, but better than death. Mei, I have not seen since our induction yesterday. I know not where Lin and Hu were sent, but I heard through gossip that Daiyu had been given a title and was appointed to the Empress’ personal palace! She never struck me as such a genius, but her hair must have enchanted the judges. I walked to the Eighth Princess’ Palace, the Palace of Tranquil Knowledge. The gates of the palace opened, and I heard a maid announce her presence, so as the gates opened, I kowtowed, and declared

“Greetings and fortune to Eighth Princess! Live for a Thousand Years!”
Last edited by Dominatus Leviathan on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

支配鲲朝和米楚帝国
My Politics IRL
    Monarchism
    Capitalist (Austrian)
    Christianity

神圣皇后万岁万岁万万岁

Altane
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Altane » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:04 am

Gioro iu Funirl

He sat in the opulence of Michese living, or at least as it was in the Forbidden City itself. He was incredibly fond of the lavishness of everything to be found here. The rugs, the couches, the food, the art on the walls even the light fixtures were delicately made as if only for sconces that existed here. Gioro had originally come here on a business venture years ago, even before the Revolution and had gotten to appreciate the delicate and dangerous politics of the place. He was a niave idiot as far as most people were concerned, he used that to appear less of a threat but he made sure to follow their rules in order not to get on anyone's bad side. Here they didn't so much care about his hedonistic lifestyle. It was something frowned on by those self-important rats back home who whispered about him while his back was turned. He was still here on the original reason he came in the first place; business. He still formally represents his family although outside of business they don't seem awfully keen to associate too much with him. Oh he still gets the call from his parents and his sister but they don't want to talk about what he wanted to talk about. It made them uncomfortable.

They behave like he's a disgrace. It's not like they were much more than minor gentry anyway. They were not as much in the spotlights as others so what should it matter? But father wants to climb the ladder. Wants us to "do more for the Empire" or "achieve something beautiful and wonderful for ourselves that we can be proud of". What's wrong with enjoying yourself without limit? He took a long gulp of the bottle that still had some wine in it while resting over the arm of his favourite couch. The room's curtains were drawn and there was a cloud filling the room from his endless smoking. He had some opium somewhere.. where did I leave it?

His eyes grew heavy as he was bathed only by the low setting of the lights that he said helped reflect his 'mood'. But to keep this way of living up he had to honour a bargain. He doesn't want to go back to the Kuritan Empire. Not while he can still enjoy life the way he wanted but to keep that up he had debts to the Nuliliriries. And they wanted results. Information. Didn't mind that part though, best people to get information from were the maids and he liked the maids. They liked him too. He was not bad looking, maybe a bit unkempt but handsome. Although he suspected they pursued him for their own interests too. Perhaps out of a sense of safety or security or merely to try and get something out of him. Honestly that's where being the niave idiot came in and everyone as far as he knew believed it. He played the role well. He also made friends with other opulent fools like him in the City. He occasionally found himself feeling sick by the lifestyle but he swallowed the feeling and pushed it deep down. Anything to keep the ride going. Anything to keep the ride going...

As far as they were concerned, officially he was there to secure business interests for his company. Unofficially most knew he didn't want to go back to Altane due to his lifestyle and how socially unacceptable it was deemed back home. But truthfully his role was what the Nuliliriries wanted it to be. After all, they decided that if he was going to stay either way, what would be the harm in making use of him for the purposes of the Kuritan Empire's foremost Intelligence Agency. And he didn't mind them paying or doing what they needed to keep hm there.

Isatosha
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

EXILED: A Stationary Journey

Postby Isatosha » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:01 am

(Ex Duke of Berinzino/Major)Romano "Coal" Skala
Ethnicity: Kulhpov

Isatosha Ministry of Immigration/ Law Enforcement Division/Criminal Information

NAME: COAL
DOB: 27/4/1990
HEIGHT: 185 CM
WEIGHT: 80KG
OFFENSES: MASSACRE OF CIVILIANS IN ENEMY CRIMSON JIHAD TERRITORY IN HARE JANGAL, KILLING PRIVATE ALFONSO PIKOVIN AND A MICHU/DOMINATUS LEVIATHAN CIVILIAN.
PUNISHMENT: EXILED TO MICHU/DOMINATUS LEVIATHAN

"Coal"

A man, wearing a bag over his head, his sight subdued, but the world remaining audible, and feels shackles in the form of flesh in addition to metal. The guards keep their grip tight, in addition to other restraints to this criminal. The smell of the air is a little different to what he is used to, but otherwise an insignificant schism to this world of pain.
His home, forever out of reach.
A man, who once sat on the tallest of towers, now at the lowest of lows.
Apathy, filled his consciousness.
For the conflict, for his former nobility, his former rank, his comrades, the civilians, his nation.
None of this mattered to him anymore.
The ideals he made his life, was what brought him to this point, his purpose, would never amount to what he had wished.
He had succeed, and failed.
There was nothing left.

The Isatoshian guards at a detention facility handed over newly dubbed, "Coal" to the Celestial Empire of Michu.
Michu's guards were noticeably rougher with him, not that he wasn't used to this, as he was previously a Isatoshian Army Pathfinder Officer.
Coal was taken to a holding cell, unknowing what was to come.

Hehe, what are they going to do to me? Torture me? This is like A.C.A.E.C.(Avoid Capture And Escape Course) all over again. Anyway, let the fun commence...

Dominatus Leviathan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Part 3

Postby Dominatus Leviathan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:43 pm

Sorry for the long delay, university, personal life and family been eating away at my time. I hope you enjoy. The Mistake about the Eighth Princess has been corrected, she is the Seventh.

Zhen Zhu Princess (seventh princess)

I rested serenely in my chamber, accompanied by my loyal Shen Chuan doing my hair into the proper style for the meeting with the other noble ladies. She tirelessly adorned my hair with golden headdresses and pins of vast wealth and applied beautifying ointment to my tender skin, if I had ordered such, I am sure she is so deeply entranced by my position as her superior that she would continue to work all night for my benefit. Her cultural mannerisms are not as civilised or as evolved as my own, a trait that she shares with virtually all of our subjects. It has forever been a duty of our people to guide such barbarians to enlightened rule. Events have progressed that have made this duty more complicated, with the events of the Red Revolution frustrating our harmonious efforts, forcing myself out of the Forbidden City, where I escaped to Tanghui and stayed with other Imperial nobility in an unofficial social circle known as “The Pythons of Tanghui” and funded a triad for the procurement of additional funds for the restoration efforts. While only providing support to the restoration’s efforts, I directed a section of my winnings to a charity dedicated to aiding the poor in serving their local community. The Zhen Zhu Foundation would provide the Empire with a strong source of loyal youths for the aristocratic cause in the Imperial Parliament. The aristocrats, as they have been dubbed by the commoners, have been my only true allies since my husband went to Qingyuan Province with the Dark Purple Banner. The Seventh Prince was a dependable man, always loyal to the Empress, my dear sister from another concubine. The Seventh Prince was far more suited to military matters, always allying with the Third Prince. Being from a military family, it’s fairly obvious that’s where his loyalties lie. My dear Seventh Prince understood nothing of politics, but the Empress clearly finds him useful for military matters, so she shows favour. It is for this reason that I have perpetual use for him. The Empress, has unfortunately a rather low appreciation of me, I am a thorn in the government’s side,for months now, funding the Aristocrats as much as possible and meeting them, using my influence through the Zhen Zhu Foundation to carry public zeal. Fundamentally, the Mandu have no right to govern. The Wesihun simply have more experience, and have been bred to rule for over three thousand years, we are the true heirs of the legendary Ten Emperors of the land, and we cannot allow our rule to be destroyed by parliamentary trappings. Though more importantly, was my ability to steer the future through the Aristocrats, and through my child, Yinzheng. Though only four years old, he shall become the Crown Prince of Michu. I shall raise him to be the ultimate Emperor, securing my position and legacy as the future Empress Dowager of the Empire. I am aided, thankfully, by the lack of children in the Forbidden City of late, not helped at all, by the Empress’ refusal to take male concubines, or even a husband. The Imperial Harem is a vital institution of the royal bloodline, to prevent a lack of heirs and the extinction of the Yongsheng family and the destruction of the nation, followed by the termination of the light of civilisation. My son must carry on the Yongsheng family’s flame to the next generation, as the rightful and dignified Emperor of Michu. First, I would need to get her Majesty’s attention, and with my favoured husband in Qingyuan for some time, I may have to find a new method. I was disrupted from my pondered ambitions by Shen Chuan,

“Your highness, the new maid you requested has arrived. She is from Xihou, a Mandu. The Internal Affairs Department reports that she was once a member of the Red Revolution. Fighting as a zealot till after the war was over. The Third Prince has vouched for her converted loyalty to the Empire.”

I tapped my ornate fingernail guard against the girl’s file, while I contemplated why such an individual would ever be sent to my service. Perhaps the Maid Selection Office is playing some cruel joke on me, sending another Mandu, and a traitor too! I boiled with anger, and exploded with fury at Shen Chuan, and she responded in a terrified “Your lowly servant deserves death!” and slapped herself several times to appease me. As was tradition. I highly enjoyed such self degradation of my servants, it showed their position as below me well, and it was their duty to serve me. I grew tired quickly, however, and ordered her to rise and follow me, to meet the new recruit. As we walked, I enjoyed the glee in Shen Chuan’s face, no doubt admiring the glorious architecture, the buildings of gold were seemingly endless. Indeed, one could probably spend their entire life inside the city walls, as several Emperors of old did. We took a detour to the pristine Lake of Purity on the outskirts of my palace, and simply gazed into it for a few moments. The water seems tranquil and clean, yet under its waters was the unfortunate truth that many a concubine had been drowned in the arcane political struggles of this sacred land. I imagined myself as a modern version of the legendary story of Diaochan, a woman so beautiful the would hide itself from her glamour. Vain as that may be, it is essentially fact. My wonderful husband, the now general Zhang Sun, recounted the story poetically under a new moon, on our first romantic excursion to Tanghui eight years ago. Recalling those happier days made me feel intense sadness and regret that I had not vetoed dear Zhang’s posting to the frontier, I haven’t heard back from him since the reclamation of Miatu from the Trekkish barbarians. I made a vow on the night after the invasion, that should my husband return in glory, I would achieve the greatest of glories to stay worthy of being his primary consort. I refuse to accept his death, so obviously Buddha demands that I fulfill my vow. The Weishun blood flowing through me bestows me a natural beauty few can match. I finally arrived at my gate, and saw a girl kneeling before me for what must have been hours, her knees must have been aching.

“What do we have here? A new member of Ningjing Renshi Gong? Let me take a good look at you.”

I had Shen Chuan lift the girl’s head up, and was shocked at her own natural beauty. She looked like a woman seen paintings of old. The Dynastic regulations on maid’s clothing could not keep her beauty covered.

“Yes, Your Highness. I am Changying Ju, from Xihou, loyal serva-”

I cut her off without letting her finish, slapping her hard in her face. Mostly out of jealousy, but Palace rules dictate that the maids may not use the perpendicular pronoun. Perhaps I should ruin her beautiful face, can’t have any competitors in the court. She recoiled and fell backwards comically. I snapped at the young girl, probably scaring her. Such thoughts amused me deeply.

“How dare you use I? Have you not remember the proper rules of discipline of this most holy place?

As she began to rise up, and I promptly ordered Shen Chuan to slap her till her face swells, but the girl did not complain or beg for mercy, like most weak spirited servants or eunuchs. Merely taking her punishment in stride and silence. Suddenly, I noticed that scoundrel, former noble from the barbaric, uncivilised land of tribes in the far west, outside of the light of successive Emperors. We had accepted him into our city as a sign of our benevolence, but he could be useful to someone such as myself. Though a disgusting rat, the foreigner is untouched by the competition for the crown, and of strong stature. All I’d need to secure his loyalty is an informal… relation. Not myself of course, I am a moral and respectable lady of the Imperial Court. I looked down at my new maid, and hatched a scheme in my mind. Her beauty would be my key to victory in this never ending game, my own Xi Shi, through her I would claim Heaven’s bounty and ensure the proper governance of this grand Empire. I had Shen stop slapping her, as much as Shen clearly wanted to continue, I could practically feel the jealousy radiating off her face. The maid began profusely apologise, as was protocol, though I was severely bored of such displays by this point.

“Your lowly servant deserves dea-”

“Rise, I have no time for your groveling. Follow me and your immediate superior Shen Chuan to the interior of my Palace. You must be inducted into my service officially.”

The girl, understanding her place, quickly follows myself and Chuan. As we walk in the blistering heat towards my main room. Arriving in the small hall, I sat on my luxury chair and placed my customary Weishun gold finger guards, and taped them against Changying’s file, pondering how I would go about my plans. As I detailed my orders for the girl, I paid close attention to her face. Her expressions would be a key to determining her personality and loyalty.

“There is a minor lady of the realm, doing the bidding of the Sixth Prince. Concube Hiqui of the Gala Clan, secondary consort of the Sixth Prince. She is new to the palace. As a welcoming gift to a fellow woman of the nation, I want you to bring this herbal tea and this skin balm from Tanghui to her, it will enhance her beauty and increase her longevity, so that she will serve our Great Dynasty better. Once that is done, I want you to return here, and recite tales of your time in the revolutionary forces to myself and Shen Chuan here. This will allow us to judge if you have truly redeemed yourself towards our cause, and may grant us some time to bond.”

The girl’s eyes widened as I mentioned her revolutionary past, though she quickly bowed and agreed, as Shen Chuan bought her some herbal tea. I gracefully waved her away, and she walked away, off to deal with my task. As she turned, I dismissed the new girl, I had Shen Chuan bring me a trinket I treasured. A Seal of the Yuan Imperium, designed by elite artisans in the Yuan, back in the 14th century. I sat admiring it’s gold for minutes, drifting into daydreams, paying no attention as I drank the tea Shen Chuan had prepared for me…

Changying Ju
I started navigating the maze of the City, passing eunuchs and guards, who ran around everywhere. They still used the queue, unlike the outsiders. I had assumed these people were paid, but they seemed to be bondservants. Bound to the City by blood and housed in it. I pitied them for their lack of freedom, but felt jealous that they could live here securely for their entire lives. The very air in this place was full of high quality incense and it was possible to smell the delights from the Imperial kitchen. Arriving at the Palace of Peaceful Dreams, where Hiqui stayed. Hiqui was a Weishun of the Gala Clan, middle class nobility. I took great care not to drop the herbal tea from the Seventh Princess.

Because of my experience in the revolution, I was able to discern that this was not a regular herbal tea. A distinct aroma that one could recognise as poison. I would not be treated as a criminal by the Imperial Court for the Seventh Princess’ games! But I could not disobey her orders either, and if Hiqui is still alive, then I would have been judged to have failed and would be punished. One if Hiqui’s maids noticed me, and I walked with her for a time, feigning ignorance of the structure of the City. She kindly offered assistance, and I did my best to develop a bond with the girl, Anhui, her name was. She was living in a fantasy, where Princes would save women in distress, and the majestic beauties of Celestial tranquil countryside under a watchful Huangdi. She spoke of her history as a member of the Yuan people, and their oppressed history under the Trekkish lands. I had little interest, but she would play a vital role in my survival. I contemplated my options, the wife of the Sixth Prince, who is my ultimate enemy in the palace, if I want the Third Prince to advance and for my own Seventh Princess to keep me alive, then I need her out of the picture. She would die, and I would survive. I Anhui that I felt faint, and was going to collapse through heat, she then kindly offered to take my herbal tea to her mistress, while I rest in her chambers till I felt better. I obviously chose not to actually touch anything, just in case I left evidence. Leaving after about ten minutes to clear my presence, I heard screaming, the delightful screaming of the girl who had delivered my poison to the enemy. The only concern on my mind was getting out of the area so that I could not be blamed for this event, I had told Anhui that I was a servant of the Sixth Prince, bringing the rare tea as a gift to his newly wed wife, and while the Sixth Prince was serving in the Clear White Banner at the frontier province of Zhenjian, it would be very difficult to verify who I really served. In this time, Anhui’s pleas shall fall on deaf ears, as the Internal Household Department will conclude that she was guilty of trying to kill a noble of our Empire. Already I saw the Palace Guards drag her away, muffling her screams and taking her to the Punishment Hall. I merrily returned to the palace of my Princess, reporting my success.

On the way there, I encountered a disheveled man, of foreign descent. He was pale, in robes that looked like rags. He was aimlessly wandering about my Mistress’ palace, so I decided to approach the man out of curiosity, he seemed distressed. A courtier of the Seventh Princess could be useful in the Palace, after all.

支配鲲朝和米楚帝国
My Politics IRL
    Monarchism
    Capitalist (Austrian)
    Christianity

神圣皇后万岁万岁万万岁

Return to International Incidents