NATION

PASSWORD

The Arzell Crises [Closed. Tyran Only.]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Syara
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Syara » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:08 pm

Revjakoyia Estate,
Commonality of Syara

Revjakoyia Estate had been built back in 1851, back when the young Syaran Republic had first established itself as an independent state. It had stood for nearly 70 years, owned by local landlords and governors until it’s owner had died in 1965. The outbreak of the Civil War five years later delayed any assumption of ownership until 1981, when Banjia District Government officially began renovations of it under the order of the national government, placing it under national ownership for usage by the Executive Branch. The main attraction of the Estate was the Revjakoyia Villa, which since it’s reconstruction and renovation had been used by various national officials for a variety of purposes, mostly related to hosting state events, or as a get-away by senior politicians, including former Executives.

Radovan Kostović, Executive of the Syaran Commonality, had used the event on only two previous occasions, both for corporate summits. He preferred to remain in Zovahr for his relaxation, and when did decide to leave the Desopya District preferred to travel south. Even so, he had arrived early in the morning to ensure that all final preparations had been carried out, though it would prove unnecessary. The two story villa, situated in the foothills of nearby mountains, bore a strong classical bearing to its architecture, both externally and internally. Smooth tiled floors reflected the light from ornate chandeliers above. Around the villa, dozens of tailors, stewards, cooks and staff worked to ensure all final preparations were completed.

An open bar, living quarters, a gourmet banquet and various other amenities were all available, befitting such a carde of honored guests. It had quickly become clear to the Syarans they would be hosting not only honored representatives from some of Tyran’s most significant nations, but also some of the most powerful people in the region. The Syaran staff that was responsible for ensuring the complete comfort of their guests toiled under the watchful eyes of their civil overseers, until no I was left undotted and no T was left uncrossed. It took thousands of hours worth of effort, but at least, on the day before the summit, Revjakoyia Villa was ready to receive it’s honored guests.

The nearest city to the estate was the metropolitan city of Corchia, home to just under four million citizens. Like many cities in Syara, Corchia was an urbanized, over developed mess of overlapping zones, industries, and choked with warehouses sometimes stretching as far as the eye could see. Corchia was an ugly city with a city-scape brimming with smokestacks and blocky apartment buildings. The Syarans were an industrious people, but it was clear by the prevalence of brutalist structures that architectural design was not their cultural strong point. A few exceptions were the glass and steel skyscrapers that belonged to the corporations that dominated Syara. These towers of business were a sharp contrast to much of Syara, including the sums of Corchia itself where underage girls could be found prostituting themselves to feed their families.

Flying into Corchia was the fastest way to get to the summit, and would’ve been the recommended airport for foreign dignitaries. Corchia’s international airport was one of the oldest in Syara in fact, despite it’s smooth and modern feel that one would get from it’s embedded lights, walkways, and granite walls. It had first opened up as a single airstrip back in 1922, so old and dated that when the representatives passed through they wouldn’t have been able to miss the old Divide War memorial: chiseled from solid stone was the image of a Syaran rifleman in his contemporary attire, standing proudly with one boot firmly placed on the back of what was clearly the corpse of a Cacertian Imperial Marine.

In order to facilitate the fastest route to Revjakoyia, Syaran officials had cordoned off an entire section of the airport, along with the nearby highway, entirely for the representatives. When disembarking their aircraft, the representatives would have been greeted by an entourage of Syaran officials led by Foreign Minister Dubravko Lenković. The Foreign Minister would offer his firm thanks to each representatives for choosing to attend the summit, speak a few words on the importance of diplomacy and negotiations before sending them on their way towards Revjakoyia. A motorcade specifically curtailed towards each delegation would’ve been waiting for them, and after everyone had taken their seats would’ve made their way towards Mount Uznesenja, the highest mountain northern Syara, and part of a small mountain chain that ran from east to west across the Banja and Desopya Districts of the Commonality.

The trip to Revjakoyia would take a little less than an hour (made possible only be stopping all other traffic on the highway), and the first sign of the impending arrival would be the steady rise in elevation. As they drove up the well kept paved road, the representatives could’ve peaked out their windows to gaze eastward towards the valleys that Corchia dominated. If they arrived later in the day, they might even have seen a new sun appear on the horizon; the artificial sunlight of a thousand neon signs of the city-scape.

There were three checkpoints each convoy had to pass through, though to the delegates each security station would’ve been only a short pause in their journey. After a few more minutes, the motorcade would’ve slowed to a crawl and the actual vehicles transporting the foreigners would’ve made their into the garage that housed all the transportation for the event. Stewards and assistants dressed in crisp dark green and gray uniforms would’ve been on station to offer any help to the delegates and guide them into the villa itself.

Entering into the estate would be like entering a portal to a new world. Dazzling lights from chandeliers suspended off the ceiling were gently reflected by the tiles on the floor. Gentle music played by a quartet in the foyer was complemented by a seemingly endless stream of stewards and stewardesses on hand to offer a selection of small delicacies and drinks. Against the walls of the spacious entrance room were security guards, sleek and slim in their black suits and ties, earpieces and steady gazes the only indication of their role and purpose.

Standing just off of the entrance was the Executive himself, Radovan Kostović, adorned with his typical black suit and green tie, small Syaran flag proudly displayed on his lapel. Any intelligence service or foreign office worth their salt could have provided some details of the Executives life; he had been one of millions born into poverty in the chaotic years after the Syaran Civil War, had a less than stellar childhood that resulted in his imprisonment at the age of 17, being released after three years for good behavior. He had subsequently worked his way up the corporate ladder of Syara’s arms industry, which steadily elevated him higher into the Commonality’s political sphere, where he was voted in as Executive in 2013 as a compromise between the three major mega-corporations of the Syaran economy. Since then he had embarked on a number of endeavors to strengthen and stabilize Syara’s internal security and resolve it’s domestic issues, most of which appeared to have been successful.

Kostović himself was not a particularly imposing figure; he was of average height, average build, his hair thick but shortly trimmed. When greeting a delegation, he would say with a pleasant smile a rehearsed greeting; “Welcome, friends, to the Syaran Commonality and to our personal home away from the hustle and bustle. I hope you enjoy your time here and our endeavors here result in lasting peace in our time.” Everything seemed totally normal, save for some small details that stood out; with a roll of his shoulders or a stretching of his arm the Executive’s collar and cuffs would reveal small inklings of the tattoos that covered his body, intricate designs that would’ve been alien to those not familiar with Syaran prison life. A firm handshake didn’t hind the crooked and bent nature of some of his fingers, clearly broken some time ago and never fully healed.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mubata
Attaché

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mubata » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:55 pm

To: Dubravko Lenković, Foreign Minister of the Commonality of Syara
From: Thabani Zabejukwa, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Mubata
Regarding: The Diplomatic Summit

To the Foreign Ministry of Syara,

We dutifully inform you that we will be sending a delegation to the peace summit being held in your nation in regards to the Arzell crisis and related incidents. The whole list of attendees is provided below:

Thabani Zabejukwa, Minister of Foreign Affairs
Musa Nshibalo, Deputy Foreign Minister
Sibusi Shabankwali, Ambassador to Shalum
Hirunda Udekrandi, Ambassador to Ossoria
Zibonisi Bhuyoniswe, Brigadier General, Assistant to the General Chief of Staff

We do hope that peace can be found as well as some justice can be served in the interests of those who have been wronged.

Sincerely,

Thabani Zabejukwa, Foreign Affairs Minister of the Republic of Mubata
Last edited by Mubata on Sat May 19, 2018 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Acrea
Attaché

Founded: Aug 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Acrea » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:49 pm

To The Office of the Syaran Foreign Ministry

The government of the Soviet Acrean Republic extends this message as a formal statement of intent to send a delegation to the summit being held in Revjakoyia.

The Following Individuals will be present at the summit,
  • Ekaterina Dmitriyevna Rostovna de Dobreva, Premier A.R.
  • Ion Stefanovich Croitoru, Minister of Defence
  • Sergey Andreyevich Vlacic, Minister of Foreign Affairs
  • Maxim Viktorovich Ruskov, Commander of Defence Staff A.R.
  • Amirah Nikolayevna Andrina, Ambassador to Ossoria
  • Michel Alexandrovich Stoe, Ambassador to Shalum,

along with their respective aides and assistants. It is our hope that something beneficial and of substance will come out of these talks, and the Soviet government duly appreciates the enthusiasm of the Syaran government to bear the responsibility of holding them.

Signed,

The Office of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Acrean Republic
Sergey Andreyevich Vlacic
Last edited by Acrea on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silua
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 20, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Silua » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:06 pm

To: Office of the Syaran Foreign Ministry
From: Joint Foreign Affairs Council of The Hegemony of Silua and the Saldus Protector Queendom
Subject: RE: Diplomatic Summit

Foreign Minister Dubravko Lenković,

Silua and Saldus will attend the conference and will be represented by the following individuals.

Aras, Iron Wolf of Saldus
    Aušrine Siraviciute, Personal Attache to the Iron Wolf
    Une Chmieliauskaite, High Princess of the Siluan Principality of Kubarž
The Joint Foreign Affairs Council of of the Hegemony of Silua and the Saldus Protector Queendom

Gylias
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gylias » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:56 am

To: The Office of the Syaran Foreign Ministry
Subject: RE: Diplomatic Summit

Foreign Minister Dubravko Lenković,

I wish to inform you that the government has approved a delegation to attend the Arzell Summit. We thank you once again for your hosting of the summit, and hope that negotiation will bring a peaceful resolution to the conflict.

The delegation shall consist of Lyndhel Véidyre (Ambassador to Shalum), Tsylén Fairal (Ambassador to Ossoria), and myself.

Kind regards,
Margarit Vartanian
Minister of Foreign Affairs

Mubata
Attaché

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mubata » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:49 am

Sankofa Square
Karalaga, Capital District, Mubata

While the rest of Tyran waited, watching events both on Arzell and Yolenga, life in the capital went on as it always did. Children played on the nearby playground and a miniature field they used for football, people strolled around the paths between garden beds or peered into the shop windows that lined the square. A scattered small amount of foreign tourists that still braved travel sanctions on the Republic were also enjoying the sights. Many waited to take their picture in front of the large bronze cast, 12 meter tall Sankofa, from which the square took its name. The fierce looking beak was turned on a curved neck, surveying behind it and providing shelter to the egg nestled on its back.

One man, General Hodari Azumkebe, was dressed in civilian clothes so as not to draw attention to himself, mostly bad these days as the military was beginning to get a lot of the focus of Fazembe’s largely unpopular foreign policy.

He took a seat on a bench that had one other occupant: Khalmani Balwunda, one of the senior Deputy Directors for Directorate 57. Balwunda was smoking his clove cigarettes, so it was no wonder that he had no need to worry about saving a bench spot for his visitor. Other than that distinct action, nothing else that Balwunda did would draw attention either. The D57 always wore whatever was the fashion of the streets in Karalaga, Kenlis, Mishiwaka or dozens of other major Tyrannic cities.

“Scaring off the children again, I see?”

“I could not let them stick around to be terrified of a monster such as you.”

“Well done. So, I assume you are caught up on the situation?”

“The Azurlav boat? Not only do we read the same reports as you, but most of them are generated by us. The satellite photos from our large benefactor friend are sent to us before we pass them along to your hands. That’s why there’s the D57 stamp next to the STG stamp, after all. Do I really need to explain all this to you again?”

“No, asshole, you don’t. I was being rhetorical to begin with. Trying to get to the meat of the conversation so I spend as little time with you as possible today.”

The D57 man chuckled hard at that.
“Fair enough. What of the boat?”

“Well it seems the Azurlavaians are not mobilizing any major fleets to come down here any time soon. Any naval activity seems to be defensive. They have continued their troop mobilization, but I don’t know that that is fully directed towards us. Perhaps we can get this settled diplomatically after all.”

“Oh, I’m certain it is directed towards us. Don’t be fooled so easily. They’re not gearing up for any major campaign, but that doesn’t rule out an air or missile strike or some low level attack of some sort, like an elite forces operation. Not to mention that they could get fairly close with submarines before our navy or the Shalumites detect them.”

“Yes, I am not a total fool. I realize...we realize that those are possibilities, but the overt saber rattling seems to have stopped for now. There is hope that we can de-escalate, if we want to get the crew home and return things to some semblance of normalcy. Both our nation and the Azurlavaians are sending diplomatic personnel to this summit in Syara. Really, it’s just a matter of convincing the President that he can walk back on the earlier rhetoric.”

“Good luck on that. It will never happen. I told you, we’re not the one convincing him to rail on the Azurlavaians, Azurans or Ossorians or any of the Eracurans or Inarans for that matter. We cannot narrow down if any advisers are guiding him on this either. Certainly not Yamza. They all seem to be in agreement with us. The only answer we can come up with is this is completely out of his own head.”

“That’s not reassuring. I cannot even comprehend the dark path we’re being led down right now." He looked around reflexively, aware that was a very treasonous statement to make. He quickly rode over it and redirected the focus back on to D57.
"...So, we have reports from our people on Yolenga guarding Pevnost that some of your people are holding interrogations of the Azurlav prisoners?”

The Deputy Director nodded simply, then added as an afterthought. He was unphased by the accusation.
“Yes.”

“Why? What is to be gained from that?”

The D57 man shrugged.
“Well...The short answer is, what can’t be gained from a little harmless intel gathering? I know for a fact that they are not being tortured. Any rough handling of them is courtesy of your Army thugs, nothing to do with our people. The man in charge is one I have personally vetted.”
Wakuda would only use force when absolutely necessary.

The General chose to ignore the jab at the Army.
“I still do not understand the purpose. If...No, when they are released, all this will be reported to the world, you realize? It won’t make us look very good.”

“It’s all a little mental gaming. Honestly, there’s no real intel to be gained. We have plenty of our people there in Azurlavai that keep our files filled. We have little to be gained from the mutterings of a few merchantmen. We’re just keeping them off balance and seeing if they’ll crack and say something damning about themselves and their nation. It’s simply for propaganda purposes. They are in our custody, no matter how that happened, so why not make use of the opportunity?”

“I will never understand you spooks and your games.”

“No truer words have you uttered today.”

A youth’s football rolled towards the pair from the field beyond, and a young boy chased after it. The General smiled, trapping the ball with his foot. He then flicked the ball up with his toe, hoping the boy would catch it, but instead it sailed upwards too quickly. It smacked the lad in the face, then thudded back to the ground and rolled a little ways. The boy looked shocked and stood stock still. A tear started to form at the corner of one eye. Then he finally snapped out of it and snatched up his ball and ran back towards his friends and parents, whose glowers could be seen even from the General and Deputy Director’s distance across the path and field.

The Deputy Director burst out laughing.
“Oh that was pure gold!”

“Fuck off!”

“That was rich. True demonstration of Army brutality."

"I said fuck off!" The General was thoroughly embarassed.

"Calm down. Ah...Where were we? Well, we are on top of the detainees. So no need to worry there.”

“Your games could have worse consequences than any of Papa Lini’s words. I hope you are aware of that, at least.”

“Why don’t you just stick to what you all know?...Which is keeping the foreigners from landing on our doorstep with everything in their arsenal. Leave the complex mechanations like this to us. Meanwhile, we can keep you well fed with the intel you need to make the proper decisions. And...And, might I remind you yet again that this current crisis is brought to us by one of the navy’s captains, under your command, not ours. So when you point fingers, keep that in mind, won’t you?”

The General stood up, not caring to defend the navy.
“I think we’re done here. Until next time.”

“I look forward to it.”

“I don’t.”

Pevnost Prison
Abyad, Yolenga

He sat on an extremely smoothed stone bench built into the wall of the room. He sat in an almost meditative state, calming his body until his guest was brought in. He wore a loose cotton dashiki and pants, both of an off white color, plain with none of the designs typical of their culture. He was barefoot.

He was roused from his trance as he heard the stomping and dragging of the guard bringing in his first guest.
The haggard, scared Azurlav man was brought in and shoved to the cold cement floor a couple meters from where he sat.

“Kaptein Otto Brustad. I have been looking forward to talking with you. They call me Mr. Wakuda. How are you enjoying your stay so far in the Pevnost?”

The captain was a bit of a different sight from when he’d first come in. Days without sunlight hadn’t done his skin much good, so used to being on the sea, but they’d fed him and his men, and so far he hadn’t seen any severe abuse at the guards’ hands. So far as he’d heard, his other forty men had been given the same treatment.

“So far, no worse than when the Kystvakten is doing a smuggling investigation,” he joked, though his tone was flat, and he knew the mirth didn’t reach his eyes. “Mr. Wakuda. I have been asking, though no one has answered me yet, just how long you intend to hold us here.”

Wakuda nodded.
“I don’t know of the Kystvakten. Otherwise, it’s a fair question, but I don’t have a good answer for you. A lot depends on your own government. At the moment, they seem to feel that your crew’s fate is best decided at the upcoming peace summit and with the OTN. I must tell you that our government doesn’t give much shrift to either, or the many northern nations involved. We have never been given much of a fair shake by them, so disrespect is mutual. We will be trying to deal directly with your government on these matters.
Now, I have a question for you. Why were you lurking off our waters and how long have you been an agent for your nation’s intelligence service?”

“Ah, Kystvakten is the Coast Guard-wait…”

Brustad blinked, a little taken off guard for a moment by the question. Had this man just asked what he had thought?

“You...you think I work for the NSB? I don’t...we weren’t lurking. My GPS told me a storm front was moving south. I deviated a few kilometers towards the coastline, and we were steaming north...what gave you the impression I’m a spy?”

The thought was absurd. There were a few radios on board the Narvhal, but nothing an old freighter wouldn’t have. His satellite phone was actually an older model, and his armory consisted of nothing that couldn’t have been bought by a civilian in many countries. He knew of some Azurlav kapteins who were so fearful of pirates they had exercised their right to automatic firearms and stocked up on automatic rifles and a few machine guns. But not him. Otto had never seen the need, as most pirates typically didn’t go after prey they didn’t think they could overwhelm. His crew were across the spectrum, a few ex-servicemen, a few travelling merchants. Hela, one of them used to be a whaler until his lungs meant he could no longer put in the long hours sailing through the hard pack ice. The cargo was all bulk material, and their file system was a mess. So where in Hellheim was this thought that his ship was a surveillance vessel?

Wakuda waved away Brustad’s words. He still sat crosslegged on the worn stone bench which was surprisingly comfortable.
“Your protestations are useless. We know your purpose. You were either running a spy operation aboard your boat or you were kidnapping young Yolengan women and children to transport them to Hemar, so that the Ossorians could keep their slave trade flourishing. You were up to no good. It was one or the other operation you were in the process of performing, and we will find out which in short time, with or without your help. If you are honest, we can make things easier for you and reduce your sentence by a few years.”

Was this man for real? At first, Wakuda had seemed like a reasonable party, but the Kaptein was getting the sneaking suspicion the man had a few screws loose.

“I...what? Slave trade? Spy operation? That’s...insane! I don’t do passengers, and there’s no observation gear on my ship! Where did you get your facts? There’s -nothing- shady onboard the Narvhal! You have her in custody, you can check for yourself!”

Brustad’s hand came down on the table, a little harder than he’d meant. The nerve and outrage of this man!

“I’m no slaver...no Azurlav is! Maldoria steals -our- people all the time, you think we’d descend to that kind of barbarism? If you believe that, then you’re a fool!”

“Sometimes, one is forced to do what is most practical for their own. Sometimes, that is a whole nation. I don’t think we’ll get a straight answer from you on that...Speaking of...Are you or any of your crew homosexuals and here to spread your subversive agenda? Are you trying to start a LGBTQ revolution on Mubatan soil?”

“What business is that of mine? We don’t discriminate on that basis! No one even went ashore in Mubata! You can check my GPS logs...if you can dig through the damn files. My navigator was never the most organized man…”

This man...this lunatic was fishing. Looking for something, anything to pin on the crew of the Narvhal. Brustad was beginning to suspect that his men might not get away at all.

“Fostering a revolution? We’ve got enough of that at home. I have no time for toxic politics.”

“Spoken like a true subversive homosexual revolutionary. I don’t believe you. I don’t believe that you don’t have some kind of agenda. The only reason that you didn’t reach our shores was because our navy has, as of late, actually become quite efficient. You were stopped before you could execute your plans. We have been over your boat quite thoroughly. The only reason that our forensic crews didn’t find anything was because you threw the evidence overboard. I don’t appreciate you trying to play me for the fool.”

Brustad growled, finally understanding. It didn’t matter what holes in their crazy plans they saw, men like Wakuda would find ways to plug the gaps with their own ‘facts’. Whatever would give them legitimacy. Which meant, good or bad, that nothing else he had to say would matter.

“Efficient...I had the arsenal to resist, you know. That armory stayed sealed because I ordered it. I still think it was the right call to make. But now, after seeing that mangy excuse for a patrol boat, I wish we’d pulled every rifle out and fought back. You spread your lies, Sir. You know all you found were a few personal arms and tons of raw bulk material. But if it makes you feel better to convict innocent men and women to an unjust imprisonment, then you’re no better than the tinpot dictatorship your country is portrayed as everywhere else.” Brustad stood, his bulk towering over Wakuda, though he made no other move than to simply glower down at the darker skinned man. “But you can bet one thing; you were warned. And you challenged. So kill me and my crew, or just throw us down a hole. Doesn’t matter. Ragnarok’s coming for you. Are you a religious man, Agent? Better start praying.”

Wakuda, looked up, then smiled as he heard the bolt slam open to the door and a guard rush in. He did nothing to stop the guard from assaulting Brustad. A club was brought up, the hilt end being driven into the gut of the Azurlav captain.

Brustad whoofed, his breath escaping his lungs in a single rush as he fell to his knees. But he’d been in fights before, and knew how to recover quickly. Though weak, he tilted his head up, coughing as he fought for air, staring up at his assailant, towering over him. He spared one more glance to Wakuda before staring the guard in the eye. The man wouldn’t understand him or the concepts he spoke, but Brustad knew exactly what he was going to do.

In a surge of strength, knowing that he would rather sell himself than go down simpering, Brustad was suddenly on his feet, his hands at the guard’s throat, lifting as high as he could, taking the man off the floor and dangling him by the neck. He heard the blood surging in his ears, the roar of battle cries that since his childhood he’d been indoctrinated to hear, time and time again. With practised ease, he brought the guard close before wheezing in a harsh snarl “Valhalla awaits. I’ve made peace with my gods.” Now he -did- look at Wakuda. Come what may (he knew he had seconds at most) he said “Hope you’ve made yours.”

Before he tossed the guard into the wall. The rest would probably kill him, but he’d die on his feet, dammit.

Wakuda had had enough of the Northern man attempting to get one upmanship over he and his countrymen. He sprung from the bench, closing the distance with a cartwheel, planting his hand on the stone floor as he brought his bare foot to bear, slamming his heel into the face of Brustad.
Simultaneously, more guards rushed in, clubs ready, they would not be using the handles this time, but the thicker business ends of the clubs.

This time, Kaptein Otto Brustad had no resistance to give. The kick was enough to set him back on his heels, stunned and dizzy. When he was rushed he had one dazed swing in him, no more dangerous than a drunkard assault an MP before he was slammed to the ground and brutally beaten by the clubs over, and over, and over again.

His last thoughts before blacking out were supposed to be of wife and children, or country, or good friends. But all he could think about now was trying to reach for something, anything, a guard, that snake Wakuda or someone, and trying to take them with him. He might have grabbed something, he couldn’t really feel anything and he couldn’t tell if he squeezed. How funny that such rage take him after trying to avoid such conflict for so long.

Wakuda, after delivering his kick had propelled himself to the side as the guards closed in. He’d flipped himself to his feet. He clapped to gain their attention and wave them off, as the stubborn Azurlav boat captain obviously lost consciousness.
“Enough! Stop! He needs to be relatively healthy and unbroken if we have to give them back.”

He had more words to say to Brustad, his rage building, but what could he say to an unconscious man that would matter?

“Take him back to his cell. Bring me the first mate, or whoever is next in charge, in an hour.”
He needed a break first, and to make some calls, before his next interrogation.

They dragged the unconscious and battered Brustad back to the cell he was sharing with several other of his crew.

[Co-RP'd with Azurlavai]
Last edited by Mubata on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kirisaki
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kirisaki » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:31 am

"Crisis? What crisis?"

An expression of utter disinterest crossed Satsuki Miyano's face as she regarded the junior diplomat standing in front of her desk.

It was a dreary Monday morning at the Sentinelry, made even more gloomy by the banks of thunderclouds that were rolling across the skies of Kirayuki. As usual, Miyano's corner office was dimly lit; the only source of illumination came from a solitary desk lamp and the glare of Miyano's laptop screen.

"It's Arzell, Miyano-san. The Ossorians and Shalumites are at it again."

Miyano rolled her eyes and leaned back as far as she could go in her office chair.

"Those barbarians, yes, of course. I should have known."

"Details on the ground are thin at the moment; but the Syarans have indicated a desire to mediate. Here is a copy of the message the Syaran Foreign Ministry sent - "

"I am well aware of the existence of that particular message."

Miyano waved a dismissive hand in the general direction of her subordinate, cutting him off mid-sentence. In her position as the de facto leader of the Kirisakian diplomatic corps, she had made it her business to remain up to date with daily developments in the convoluted ecosystem of Tyranian diplomacy. The Arzell Crisis was not a subject unfamiliar to her; in fact, she had already read over the message from Lenković, and digested its implications and possible permutations, before she came into work.

"O-of course, Miyano-san."

"That will be all, Nishikata. You may return to your duties."

A single flash of lightning crackled across the slate grey skies, illuminating the dark office in a brilliant glare. In that briefest of moments, all Nishikata could see of his superior was her silhouette, backdropped against a canvas of light that stretched from floor to ceiling. Not for the first time that morning, the junior diplomat felt a jolt of electricity scuttle down his spine.

Silence reigned for several heartbeats as the light bled away into darkness.

"I trust that you will keep me updated on events as they progress, Nishikata."

"Understood."

A whipcrack of thunder reverberated around the sparsely furnished office as Nishikata closed the door to the office after him.

Miyano allowed herself the small luxury of a few seconds to herself, spent in silent contemplation of the task that awaited her. She was more than aware of what lay ahead of her.

" ... time to get to work."

Radiant Empire of Kirisaki

Sentinelry of Foreign Affairs

Recipient
  • Dubravko Lenković, Foreign Minister, Syara
CC
  • Radovan Kostović, Executive, Syara
  • Asher von Sheridan, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Shalum
  • Enya Curran, Secretary for Foreign Affairs, Ossoria
  • Members of the Executive Committee, Kirisaki
Subject
    RE - Diplomatic Summit

Your Excellency,

With reference to your correspondence of the 15th inst., I have been authorised to inform you that representatives of the Radiant Empire will be in attendance at the proposed diplomatic summit. The tenshi wishes that a solution to the situation at hand be found through peaceful means rather than the tragedy of violent conflict, and it is to be hoped that Kirisaki's attendance at the aforementioned diplomatic summit as a permanent member of the Organisation of Tyrannic Nations will go some way towards facilitating such.

As per request, please find below a list of Kirisakian representatives.
  • Sentinel of Foreign Affairs, Akane ASAHI
  • General Secretary, Kirisakian Foreign Service, Satsuki MIYANO
  • Ambassador to Shalum, Shiro TAKAGI
  • Ambassador to Ossoria, Koneko AMAGO
I trust that the Commonality will make every effort to ensure the safety and comfort of the Kirisakian delegation. On behalf of the Radiant Empire, I wish to extend our appreciation in anticipation of your kind hospitality.

I remain, yours sincerely,

Satsuki Miyano
General Secretary
Kirisaki Foreign Service
Last edited by Kirisaki on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The artist known as Kyrin Knightsbridge; everybody's favourite blend of acidic, astringent sarcasm.

Mubata
Attaché

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mubata » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:51 pm

Corchia, Commonality of Syara

The Mubatan plane was moderately accommodated for the Minister of Foreign Affairs and his team for the peace summit. It certainly couldn't match the splendor of the aircraft reserved for the President For the men aboard though, it was more than adequate. The Minister reclined in his seat, looking out over the borderlands of Syara as they approached the city closest to Revjakoyia Estate, the location of the Syaran hosted summit. The others, Musa Nshibalo, his Deputy Foreign Minister, Sibusi Shabankwali and Hirunda Udekrandi, the ambassadors to Shalum and Ossoria, as well as, Brigadier Zibonisi Bhuyoniswe, Assistant to Marshal Duma Ibezikano, the Chief of Staff of the Mubatan Army, were all in various states of contemplation or rest before they touched down. No one spoke. They all knew how each other felt about the upcoming meetings and events of the last few days. Their jobs had been made immeasurably more difficult by the bungling and posturing of a few key assholes. Thoughts that could be deemed treasonous like that were better left unsaid.

Zabejukwa had some idea of how they would be treated once the wheels touched down, but didn’t want to speculate too much and get himself steeled for battles that might not even need to be fought.
Syara had been a friend of Mubata for decades, but recent events showed that they were joining the rest of the civilized world in possibly turning their backs on the Republic of Mubata. Time would tell, but it was safe to say that the Mubatans had far more at stake than just bolstering their other close regional allies, the Shalumites, in their feud with the Ossorians.

The Shalumite dissatisfaction with Mubatan attempts to show support had been evident through various channels, and Minister Zabejukwa had been trying to keep up to assure the Shalumites that they were acting in both nations’ best interests. A lot of effort towards trying to retain allies these days was put in by the Minister to counter the rhetoric in President Fazembe’s speeches. Still, he stayed loyal.

Then the seizing of the Azurlav cargo vessel had happened.

Not only were relations improving between the Syarans and Azurlavaians, but even the Empire of Shalum had been reproachful towards their former bitterest enemy. All this had been in Foreign Affairs Ministry reports, both written and verbal to Papa Lini, but he’d chosen to ignore it, so it seemed. He’d spouted off one earnest, but spurious line when drawing the line in the sand in defense of Shalum, and that in turn had inspired one of the inept naval captains, given rank through nepotism and cronyism, to act on said accusations towards the Azurlavaians and trigger a seriously disastrous and erroneous chain of events into motion, putting all of Western Siduri on high alert. It made his head hurt.

One fun game of Zabejukwa’s was to imagine himself as working in the Foreign affairs ministry of just about any other Tyranic nation than the one of his birth. At some point he had to face reality, and usually several times a day in his current, actual job.

Preparations to land interrupted the Minister’s fantasies.
The plane landed in Corchia, and they were escorted to vehicles that would take them the rest of the journey to the estate where the peace summit would play out.
The entourage of guards, all highly trained D57 agents, were very keyed up, ready for action from any corner. What had been a former ally was now a potential enemy as the Mubatans felt the sting of being in parts, ignored or reviled.

The drive afforded more time for the Minister to gather his thoughts. There was an ulterior motive to the Mubatans being here. They would also be seeking to repair relations with their formerly solid ally and assure them that they were still a good friend in Southeastern Siduri and worthy of support. They had no guarantee that they would be treated as an old friend after attacking Syara's new friend, but an attempt had to be made to mend the serious damage to relations.

When they arrived, the estate in the countryside was as impressive as all accounts and pictures that had barely done it justice. While some of their delegation wore traditional dashikis and Mubatan dress at the strong urging of President Fazembe, Zabejukwa and his Deputy wore suits and ties. The General wore a military uniform, complete with medals and ribbons across his chest.

They formed a united front as they were led in the front entrance and greeted by none other than Executive Kostović, the Syaran leader himself.
“Welcome, friends, to the Syaran Commonality and to our personal home away from the hustle and bustle. I hope you enjoy your time here and our endeavors here result in lasting peace in our time.”

Minister Zabejukwa took the Syaran leader’s hand.
“Thank you so much for your hospitality. We are honored to be here in your great nation and within your personal presence. We look forward to peace and progress over the next couple days.”
Last edited by Mubata on Sat May 19, 2018 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cacerta
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cacerta » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:27 pm

Revjakoyia Estate
Outside Corchia, Commonality of Syara

The Cacertian delegation for the summit consisted of Alessandra Moretti, Cacerta’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Valeriana Khushrenada, the current Kingdom’s Prime Minister. Both of them were already in the Commonality for another ongoing, separate negotiation regarding the re-establishment of cordial relations between former foes. It was only fortuitous that the Summit would be taking place in Syara and indeed would likely require the presence of the entire Security Council; considering the sides laid out between the two it would likely be important that both Kirisaki and Cacerta maintain their own neutral stance as best they could in the ongoing turn of events.

Among the major powers that would be attending, Cacerta was perhaps not the oldest. However, in their brief time following unification, Cacertians had made their mark in the history books for better or worse. Only a hundred years ago the Empire had been vying for control of Syara, back then a Republic, mobilizing perhaps the largest ground force in Cacerta’s history only for it to end in failure. And, ultimately, the collapse of its Empire. Cacertians learned many lessons from the Divide War, their subsequent fall from international grace, and the consequences in the later Great War.

Although the Queen herself had already expressed interest in being at the Summit, both Alessandra and Valeriana strong recommended against it primarily because of the Queen’s close and intimate relationship with the Imperator and Imperatrix of Shalum. While Anelyn herself had characterized her politics by not choosing a particular camp and had always done well remaining relatively neutral and non-partisan in her politics, the fact that she bore Tyler Holland’s youngest child could easily be used against her by others.

It was figured it was best they keep their party only to the two of them. Valeriana a Red and Alessandra a Blue.

The flight between Zovahr and Corchia was short and after the Cacertians arrived, they had skipped most of the basic formalities as they had already been performed when the two had previously arrived in the capital although the two Cacertians did take note of the Divide War memorial as they passed. It was a symbol of a different era in politics, when all the Cacertians really did know was blood and guns. Even with the Ultranationalists and their more aggressive foreign mentality, the idea of sending armies to do the talking was a thing of the past.

Even with that being said, however, it did not prevent the Kingdom from understanding the importance of a big stick. While Cacerta’s military had not involved itself significantly in regional politics since the 1950s, having one of the largest armed forces in the world made for a useful political tool the other nations, not even their contemporaries in the security council, took lightly.

As Valeriana and Alessandra had already made their acquaintance with both Radovan and Dubravko, they simply gave each of them cordial nods and light handshakes before continuing on further into the estate where they would await the other delegates.

Gylias
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gylias » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:30 am

The Gylian delegation had caught the earliest available flights to Syara. As they were arriving from different countries, the participants agreed to meet each other in a pre-determined location at the Corchia airport, and proceed from there to the Revjakoyia Estate. It was perhaps no surprise that Margarit Vartanian, the foreign minister, arrived first, given the shorter flight time from Gylias to Syara. It took somewhere around two hours for the ambassadors to Shalum and Ossoria to arrive and make their way to the meeting point as well. Both carried briefcases of documents grouped in dossiers that had been prepared by their aides, to accommodate the fact that the short notice left them unable to accompany the ambassadors as well.

When the three delegation members made their rendez-vous as planned, they then proceeded to the special section of the airport, from where they would be escorted to the estate. Margarit had excused herself to the Syaran representatives when she had first arrived, to wait for Lyndhel and Tsylen. Since they were all together now, they met again with the Syaran representatives, showing their diplomatic credentials if necessary, and then took their place in the motorcade.

Tsylén grimaced subtly on seeing Corchia from the window of the car. It seemed to be mainly populated by hideous concrete buildings, that were poorly suited to Syara's climate, apathetically maintained, and more evocative of some sort of prison than a place fit for human habitation. Compared to the countries she had visited and Kenlis where the embassy was, it was an unpleasant contrast. Some irony she felt in the fact that the skyscrapers festooned with corporate logos and names looked more pleasant than the places people were supposed to live.

Lyndhel largely shared in these sentiments, although his facial expression was more of a saddened sympathetic one than a disgusted one. Margarit, for her part, tried to keep her focus on the road, and mentally go over the plans for the summit just to be sure.

It was undoubtedly tough to share a summit table with great powers. Gylias' foreign policy had never accumulated any notable amount of hard power. All it had was patient diplomacy and good credibility, painstakingly built over decades of work mediating and offering to serve as neutral arbitrators in disputes. This was essentially the role it would have to play here. The undoubted question was — would it make much headway against Shalum and Ossoria's age-old rivalries? Was there room to work out a compromise that would satisfy both sides?

Upon arriving at the estate, Margarit, Tsylén, and Lyndhel went to have a cordial meeting with Executive Radovan Kostović. They shook hands and reciprocated his greetings, expressing their similar hopes that diplomacy and peace would ultimately win the day. They then made their way to the estate, planning to go over their dossiers in their quarters, and meet up with the other delegates, depending which came first. Margarit was particularly resolved to meet with the Kirisakian and Cacertian delegations — as Common Sphere colleagues, she wanted to check first how much overlap there was between their positions and planned methods.

Silua
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 20, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Silua » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:05 am

Revjakoyia Estate,
Commonality of Syara

Aras, that was her Siluan name, the Iron Wolf of Saldus, sat herself down at her seat after greeting the Syaran Executive with a polite nod. The woman was relatively young at thirty-one with silky white hair, icy blue eyes, and a lean, well toned physique. She stood around five and half feet in height and was attired in suit of black leather armor emblazoned with the mark of the iron wolf and a unique Vaunus blade called a hell saber outside of Saldus, but a mek’leth by the Vaunus themselves. To many it would seem as if Vaunus warrior of centuries past had stepped into the modern age.

Gazing about he chamber, Aras acknowledged each of the other attendees with a polite nod. The Pukias Sualkaranė and herself had discussed the Arzell situation and the conference at great length and had decided that would best if Aras led their small delegation. Aima was quite focused on other things at the moment and it was not all that uncommon for the Iron Wolf to speak on behalf of both The Hegemony and Saldus at international meetings. It had been that way since the hegemony of Siluan states and Saldus had signed the Šakarkas Accords in 1707. Since the signing of the Accords, the two sovereign states had acted with a single mind when it came to international diplomacy, trade, and defense. The ruler of either nation could speak on behalf of the other.

Sitting to Aras’ left was her attache, whose Siluan name was Aušrine Siraviciute. Much like most Vaunus, she was white haired and fair skinned. Unlike many of her people she had honey-brown eyes and her stature was several inches bellow average at just an inch over five feet. Despite her small stature though, the woman gave the impression of having a fierceness and boldness of someone three times her size with firm, steady steps from her booted feet, the way she rolled her shoulders as she sat, and the blazing, yet stoic visage she maintained across the surface of her pale skinned face.

Unlike the Iron wolf, Aušrine was attired in something much more modern in appearance. Her garb appeared as a military field uniform that was neatly pressed, entirely unadorned, did a good job of camouflaging her more feminine features, and that contrasted starkly with her pale skin and hair. As she sat beside the Iron Wolf and waited for the conference to get under way, she sat almost motionless in her seat. If one were to watch her very closely, they would notice that despite her stoic appearance she was actually maintaining a close watch on her surroundings. The job of attache to the Iron Wolf was one that comprised of many roles, not just acting under the supreme leader’s authority or taking notes at meetings.

To the right of the Iron Wolf sat High Princess Une Chmieliauskaite of Siluan Principality of Kubarž. She was a statuesque woman with long, flaxen hair set in three interwoven braids, a pair of hazel eyes, and wearing a modern three-piece suit in brown that was cut to accentuate the female form. The high princess was younger than the Iron Wolf at twenty-two and had only recently taken her mother’s place as leader of Kubarž. There were some in the Siluan political-military landscape that questioned the sending of someone so young and seemingly inexperienced to an important international meeting, but when the Pukias Sualkaranė issued an order, it was followed.

There some that speculated that the High Princess was chosen to attend the conference simply because Kubarž sat on the Siluan-Shalumite border and was a state that had become a part of Silua after leaving Shalumite suzerainty in the middle of the eighteenth century. Others postulated that Kubarž being a popular place for Shalumite asylum seekers, refugees, and migrants to cross into Silua as the primary reason for Aima III choosing to add Une to the delegation. With the influx of people into Silua that often accompanied a Shalumite-Ossorian conflict, it made sense to more than a few that the High Princess would have a keen interest in these negotiations. Regardless of the reasons though, only time would reveal the true capabilities of High Princess Ume Chmieliauskaite and the true reasons for her assignment to the delegation. For the moment, she simply appeared as a lovely individual at the side of two very martial appearing individuals.

Pargesia
Attaché

Founded: Mar 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Pargesia » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:57 am

|| 2nd Deputy Foreign Minister ||
Controversy forces the Foreign Ministry to make a fool deputy for a deputy

City of New Kenlis
Mailse Hall, Gwyn Palace
The Grand Staircase

His Majesty King Diarmait III of Pargesia is walking on velvet carpets and secured by high walls, ready to address his people in the 2018 Speech from The Throne. This will mark the formal beginning of the 2018 General Elections. The King is warmly welcomed by the high and mighty portraits of his predecessors and ancestors as he ascends on the Grand Staircase. When he has taken his final step one flight up, he will enter Cerball Gallery where he will be greeted by his subjects who work and maintain Gwyn Palace, amongst other dutiful subjects from far and wide who just wanted to see His Majesty or do their job as journalists and assistants to said profession. An insignificant number of them are tourists.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Foreign Affairs stood behind his Deputy Minister. Both already on top of the staircase, waiting to receive the King with their usual display of fealty by bow or curtsey. As expected from all Pargesians who gaze upon His Majesty. Never forced or discouraged, but something Pargesians have grown to do out of respect or patriotism. Patient they are as any other loyal subject present in the gallery. Dutiful too, like any other good government official. Deceptive as any other sucker who defends another liar.

The Deputy Minister glanced behind to see her superior, the Foreign Minister. She is bored and wants some chit-chat with somebody. It did not take her long to choose which one. So began her hidden agenda, whispering to none other than the Minister, "I wonder how heavy those robes are."

To which the Minister replied, "Yes."

"The Crown especially." She said. Hoping to get more words out of the Minister.

But he replied, "Yes."

There came a shadow of disappointment over the Deputy Minister. But no, she is persistent. As a Deputy to the Dail and Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, she will not falter. 'Yes' and 'Yes' may have been the only responses she got so far from the Minister. Maybe the Minister is too old to enjoy the art of casual discussion or he does not understand what is casually under discussion. The Deputy Minister tries again, "But this is a different crown, Minister. The Crown we see here is not 'The Crown'."

To her surprise, "Yes," it was still the same, "Very droll," with slight alteration in the repetition.

"Is there anything else besides saying 'Yes', Minister?" She asked, complete with demanding yet questioning tone. She even fashioned her angry eyes and frowning lips downwards. Perhaps to invoke a sense of urgency in the Minister.

Little did the Deputy Minister know, the Minister did not care. He was too busy thinking about his cruel design for his Deputy Minister's fate this afternoon. Due to her unceasing persistence, he did not wait much longer. He must do the first step of his so-called secret plan. But first, with playful intent, he said to her, "Yes. I did say 'Very droll', didn't I? Also-watch-your-step."

In hastened pace is how the Minister said that last bit and it got the Deputy Minister real good. She is stunned by confusion. To this, he executed his plan.

"What did you say, Minister? Oh! What the-! Aah!"

'Oh!' indeed. Joy of joys! Terror of terrors! Screams and chuckles alike! A politician is on the loose. The Deputy Minister seems to have tripped on her own feet. But of course, this is not a laughing matter to smile at for any longer. Amusement quickly faded when it rapidly became painful to watch and bear as it prolonged. Soon screams conquered the chuckles. Though a certain minister kept snickering and did not feel anything. To him, it is just like Comedy College Barn all over again. He could not forget that. They who specialize on violent humor on his fellow college students and foolish professors and other college staff, but this is too brutal. Too real and it is really, really awesome. Not so old as he seemed.

By now, the Deputy Minister is rolling down the Stairs of State. As lethal as a bowling bowl rolling down the alley to hit some pins. An inclined alley in this case. But there is no fea for there is no bowling pin, or any human to be accurate, in her way.

More like a human body rolling down a flight of stairs trying to stop the fall by veering left and right alternately at the bannisters on either side. The results were not completely effective, but she slowed down. Furthermore, making the situation worse, her descent is now maintained. Thus it continues.

There was nobody in the way until it has been realized that the word 'human' also included His Majesty the King, His Majesty's personal security detail, and palace police. An unfortunate dozen from the latter two have joined the rolling Deputy Minister upon her zig-zagging impact on them. Unlike her, they have done initiative for their own wellbeing in a short span of time. They tucked and accepted the inevitable roll.

This realization made by lousily timid people who were supposed prevent these kinds of things and to perform countermeasures, all in all, ultimately, for the protection of the King. Unlike their lousiness and timidness, His Majesty is prepared to take matters into his own hands. The King saw the Deputy Minister and other rolling human bodies closing in on him. He was about to do something to help. But he was quickly pushed away by security who were quick enough to respond. Surprisingly the very same people who were just lousily timid a moment ago.

But the worst is over. The King is safe.

Although there are still many others under threat. Some of them are footmen carrying the King's long and wide ermine cape. They had trouble in running to the direction where their sovereign was forced to retreat. Two or three had to lunge for safety to avoid tripping on the cape and one of them accidentally tripped in effective attempt to get away. The rest were more royal security and legislative law enforcement who easily got out of the way.

The situation is getting better and better. Everybody else behind the King is safe.

If the King were to say anything right now, he would say that the Royal Scepter and the Holy Orb prevented him from helping. He could not do anything else with hands full.

Halfway down the staircase, the Deputy Minister and her collaterals began to tumble down for their final roll. In the end, they are relatively harmed like battered blobs of dough that fell fifty fold down a brothel's high steps that supposedly led customers to heaven then back down, but very much alive. Easy to say since they are all loudly groaning in pain.

Meanwhile, the King looked up. He thought that he saw the Foreign Minister smirking. How cruel. Suspicion hits the King's mind. But the Minister is too quick for the King to be sure. With his equally quick wit, the Minister already executed his evasive maneuvers just for this scenario. He palmed his mouth immediately as soon as he lifted his hand and widened his eyes open. With this, anybody could tell that the Minister is obviously in shock. And the King fell fort, shaking his head before looking down at the bottom of the stairs. There lied more than a dozen people piled on top of each other. It appears that there is justice as to why the suspicious Minister is in shock. No. Obviously in shock.

It reminded him of a similar incident a long time ago when his father, King Diarmait II, was still reigning sovereign.

For now, keeping that reminder aside, the King decided that the best course of action is to pity the hurt. He donned a blank expression, expressing no sadness, happiness, or alarm. In this moment forward till the scene has been cleared, he shall be Father of the Nation. It was just as effective as smiling and waving when he came down here in the royal motorcade. Practically useless, but totally harmless and somewhat inspiring, reassuring, and patriotic.

Unfortunate that the politician had to be a woman. Very unfortunate that the politician collided with people who fell to suffer her fate as well. Very very unfortunate that all of this unfolded on national television. Very very very unfortunate that the word 'very' is being exhausted in a lot of people's minds across the nation and around the world.

The Minister of Information and every other cabinet minister absent or present in Gwyn Palace, watching television in a bar or livestream at home on their laptops, including the Taoiseach himself who strategically retreated to his private office, away from the press, all remarked, "Oh shit" or the more colorful like.

This site uses cookies for easy use. Click here to learn more about cookies

Gov.PG || Ministry of Information

Home | About Pargesia | The Ministry

The Minister Responsible
I serve the people in the name of The King, Our Liberty and Democracy!

- On the steps of Old Ministry Building on 16 March 2018

The Right Honorable Éamann Enrigh, TD, PC is the Minister of Information. He is the Deputy to the Dáil of his constituency, Greater New Kenlis, elected in 1991 and earned distinction in the backbench for his efforts to unite the party in its vote against the Political Harmony Bill that would have allowed the fascist National Pargesian Union, and other parties alike or in coalition, back in the Dáil Parges. He replaced Dr. Ernest Parks, PC, PhD on 14 March 2018 after the arrest of Dr. Parks on charge of murdering his wife in 2016 when her body was finally found in February 2018.

Enrigh intends to propose the Accessible Information Act that will allow citizens to freely access government documents and files that contain their personal records and other information. This proposal is his answer for the ongoing question on the Pargesian National Database Act of 1979.

Following an unfortunate incident during the 2018 Speech from The Throne, Enrigh has been appointed 2nd Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs who will assist the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the absence of its Deputy Minister Abby Duncan.
The Parliamentary Private Secretary

Brigit Haonghusa, TD

She is the Deputy to the Dáil for New Strade appointed by the Minister. As Parliamentary Private Secretary, she is his eyes and ears in parliament.

The Ministerial Team

Technical difficulties

Please refresh

If spoiler is still unresponsive, please go to 'Contact' page for further instructions

It will enable us to lead you to the answers you need

Help | Cookies | Contact | Terms and conditions

Built by MOI Digital Services

© Crown copyright

Private office of the Minister of Information

The Right Honorable Éamann Enrigh, TD, PC. Minister of Information. Now also 2nd Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs in the aftermath of what the media now calls as the 'Duncan Slip Incident', otherwise known as the '2018 Slip Incident' thanks to the historical perspectives of Channel 4 and The National Shoutyman. A reflection of the 1984 Slip Incident that happened minutes before the December 15 Coup. It is humiliating. It is childish. It is too droll to describe with any other word. Too much for another moment of straight faces. A colossal political disaster. The Minister, now holding somebody else's ministerial portfolio in his hands, looked outside his office window and gazed up on the clear blue sky. He huffed and grumbled out, "What happened in the Grand Staircase was a colossal political disaster. We had to cancel the Throne Speech."

He turned around to face his Parliamentary Private Secretary Brigit Haonghusa, TD. She looked at him with a sour look. Tired of listening to his attempt on memorable platitudes. She is his colleague, not his Private Secretary or Deputy Private Secretary whose task is in every way secretarial. Not her. She is a politician. Just like the Minister. But he would not have any of it so as long as he drowns himself in remembering the very very very very very recent past of nine hours ago.

"The media's gonna have a heyday on this, let me tell you. They say 'Duncan Slip Incident', 'Nineteen-Eighty-Four Slip Incident', including the 'December Fifteen Coup' that does not have anything to do with the 'Twenty-Eighteen Slip Incident.'" Brigit nodded and said, "Yes, but you didn't need to tell me that." The Minister looked at her and shook his head. He groaned in disappointment as he wailed, "Oh the youth! The youth! Please Gods above us all, save them. Save them. You, Brigit, need to know that I have every right to tell you about 'That'. It's a disaster. A colossal political disaster."

Brigit said, "Yes you have...Rights, but there's another reason why you don't need to tell me That." The Minister narrowed his eyes in vain attempt to intimidate his Parliamentary Private Secretary and he asked, "What is that?" She could not even, but anything to make the Minister understand, "I'm the one who told you these things, Enrigh." The Minister dropped his eyes open, slowly nodding, advancing to grow a smile on his way, and then he laughs, "Ha-Ha! Ha-Ha! Ha-Ha!" and he said, "I see. Very well...What were we talking about?"

Brigit realized something. Why did she accept his offer for her to become his Parliamentary Private Secretary? She rolled her eyes and made it easier for the Minister, "Two words. Syaran Commonality." Better than answering the question. It would just be sad for an old man like the Minister. Barely in his senatorial years, but here he is, acting like he has Short-Term Memory Loss once in a while. "Ah yes! I was talking about my new portfolio." The Minister said with glee. To which Brigit replied, "Your temporary portfolio," clarifying what it actually is to the Minister. She felt he forgot. But he did not. And he felt that she might think so. For this, he ignored her. Not minding whatever she was trying to say. He is old, but not that old. That is what he would like to insist.

The Minister continued, "My new job as 2nd Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs is something. I've dreamed of being the Minister of Foreign Affairs myself, but I never thought I'd be two ministers away from The Ministry. But now is really something." Brigit smiled at the Minister. He may be flawed mentally, but it is a fine sight to see an old man proud of himself. The Minister went on, "I've seen it all. Great diplomats of our time. Like Levi Klein, Deputy Minister of Information who got the Deputy' portfolio in Foreign Affairs and then one trade mission later, he became Minister of Foreign Affairs. Someday, oh someday. I'll be just like him. And that someday might be after the Arzell Crises," but it is heartbreaking when such a man becomes too proud. He becomes blind to ambition. Secluded by his desperation. Annihilated by his sudden consternation. Castrated by his immediate termination from His Majesty's Government.

Ministers come and go and Brigit is not going to go in her career. However sad it is for her to serve a decent minister who is on the brink of failure, Brigit must be strong. And maybe, just maybe, she could take over the Minister's place if ever it happens. But now, the Minister is still going, "Here's my strategy. I've done careful study of the ongoing situation in Arzell. Conrad wants us to take advantage of the 'Slip Up Incident like Nineteen-Eighty-Four." 'Ninety-Eighty-Four?' 'Take advantage'? 'Slip Up Incident'? What is the Minister saying? This got Brigit to ask, "What is- What do you mean by taking advantage of the Slip Up', Enrigh?"

Strange, the Minister is smirking like a child seeing his mother's mammary glands. Brigit asked again, "Enrigh, what do you mean?" Finally, the Minister began, "Here's the thing, Brigit," the Minister paused with that smirk stuck on his face, "I trust you in this...And I was acting earlier since I thought that our discussion will not come to this." Brigit thought...Acting? And excuse me, it was you who mentioned it in the first place. The Minister continued, "So, what happened there is...Strategy." Brigit could not help herself but think...Strategy?

The Minister went on, "You know that every Dail Parges has its last Speech from the Throne in its last year of term, right?" Brigit answered, "Yes. It's like their last word before the general elections." To which the Minister replied, "Yes, very good. We're supposed to give our last word, give some pats on our backs for our achievements, in the Twenty-Eighteen Speech from the Throne. And announce some follow-up reform, policy, or law." Brigit nodded and thought...Where is this going? She wanted to dwell in that thought, but she must listen to the Minister, "But we didn't so nobody knows our last word or achievements that they knew but forgot." Brigit nodded again. And the Minister is taking it in, "That's where it comes down. So, it's been long since we adopted the foreign policy of neutrality and we've been mostly strict in this policy when enforced. And people want it to stay that way. Potential losses for the upcoming 'General Elections." That earned another nod from Brigit. The Minister went on, "Now that nobody knows what's gonna happen, we can do whatever we want!"

A slow nod from Brigit. She does not like where this is going. He felt that and he intends to clear her mind to his side and understand, "We can do whatever we want. Anything that lacks public support according to our polls, will have a chance in passing at The Dail. And yes, people would know eventually know, but it will take them a long time to discover what's going on because nobody knows about it. Supposedly they are informed by the Throne Speech." She really does not like where this is going. But there is an interesting point that might be a loophole in this new government practice she just discovered, "But there's a speech right? There's gotta be a speech put up online by now. And it's our job."

The Minister shook his head. He said, "That's what we want them to think. When people start reacting on what we did, they have to do some research first. That's a while. And people who are lazy would doubt it when they heard it for the first time. So that's another while. But why bother when there's no speech." What? Brigit closed her eyes and clarified, "No speech?" The Minister nodded eagerly, "If there's no speech written yet, we can a put a ton of stuff in it after we've done what we wanted. For now, we could pretend that we've published it online. As we speak, I've asked Jack and Tomás with his MOI Digital Services to prepare an intentionally unresponsive page for the Throne Speech. With that, taking advantage becomes foolproof. We're testing it on our website as we speak."

Opening her eyes, Brigit nodded, more slowly than ever. She replied, "So you're telling me that we can do anything?" And the Minister replied, "Yes. New reform, new policy, new law, and no questions asked. And if there would be questions, it would be too late for us to answer it." With humor in mind, Brigit entertained the thought...It'd be too late for us because we're already out of office by then if that's the case. "-Except the budget. We can't do budget. Budget's useless when the Twenty-Sixth Dail will be dissolved very soon for the 'General Elections. So the Twenty-Seventh Dail will be determining the budget." Brigit cannot believe what she is hearing, but she wanted to know more, "Is that all?"

"No. Another reason why it's done is because The Dail is anxious when it comes to televised debates on hot topics like participating in the talks on Arzell. But the reception will be minimized now that the 'published Twenty-Eighteen Speech from the Throne' should be enough to explain Pargesian intentions in the Arzell Crises. And if we did discuss, not a lot of people would be watching because nobody knows about it in the first place. Thank the Gods that not a lot of people watch Dail debates on Channel Four. In the end, not everybody knows and only a handful would be interested." Brigit needed to think about it...Hmm. Then she replied, "And everybody will eventually know it. Channel Four's gonna be picked up by The National Shoutyman then every other newspaper in the country and the world." The Minister bobbed his head, trying to nod, and said, "Yes, but in very short news clips and very long articles online. Nobody would even take a peek. Anyway, what we're doing is not supposed to prevent information from being released but to slow it down." She smiled and thought...So its 'we' now. Who else is on board? She is tempted to ask once more, but she decided not to bother.

There is something more important than to bother, Brigit's moral dimension is tingling. She said, "Isn't this a bit...You know...Wrong?" The Minister glanced at the ceiling, but he replied rather quickly, "Wrong? Nope. Definitely wrong." Brigit widened her eyes at the Minister's reply. The Minister did the same until he realized what he said, "Oh no! No! It's definitely not wrong." Brigit sighed. She then took her time before she replied, "Minister, this is ridiculous. It's not going to work." Suddenly, the Minister wiggled his head with a silly smile. He said with confidence in his tone, "I can assure you it will." The Minister looked around and spotted his phone on his desk. He took it, activated it, then dialled, and pushed the call button on the screen represented by a white silhouette of a phone handset.

The Minister gave it to Brigit who is sitting on a chair across his desk. He told her, "Here, talk to my daughter. She's a Pol-Sci student. Ask her about the Throne Speech. Like, if the people need to read or not and she'll answer 'There's no point in listening to government achievements that we barely feel. And their goodbyes? Only to find on Election Day that they won and they won't actually leave.' Then she'll say 'The follow-up bills and programs? I'm sure it's gonna be another cycling campaign or a revival of that free parenting classes initiative we had a year ago and the year after that." Brigit scoffed and lifted the phone up to her ear.

It is ringing. And they are on the line:

"Hello.

No. No.

I'm your father's P-P-S.

Hello, Mary. Nice to meet you.

I'm his Parliamentary Private Secretary.

My name is Brigit.

Yes. Your father is here.

I was wondering about what happened yesterday.

Yes. No. Not that. I'm talking about the Twenty-Eighteen Speech from the Throne.

Is it important to know the Speech from the Throne?

Right.

Alright.

Okay.

Right.

Okay, thank you.

Goodbye, Mary."

The Minister looked pleased to Brigit who in turn is dumbfounded. She looked at the Minister with contempt and said, "Of course she knew. You and her probably discussed about it earlier." The Minister opened his mouth, about to say something, but Brigit held a hand up and warned, "No. Wait," and she said, "Did it work?" The Minister did not understand, "What?" Brigit was not gonna have anymore of this crazy bullshit. She asked again, "Did. It. Work?" The Minister nodded, just as quickly as he did before. A feeling of urgency crawled up on him. He even went further to reassure her, "It obviously worked for Levi Klein."

Brigit needed a moment to take all of these in. But the Minister wanted something done, "Brigit, while you're at it, please talk to Conrad. Ask him about the strategy. I need to do careful study on the Arzell Crises." Brigit could not believe this, but to hell with it. She just wants to get this over with and end the day as fast as possible. May the Gods save Enrigh from making a complete fool of himself. The Minister sat down in his desk chair and proceeded to grab a paper and took out his pen from a pocket inside his jacket. He is going to draft a letter of notification. If they will join talks on the Arzell Crisis, they need to respond to the Syaran Commonality post haste.

The Minister looked up and saw Brigit on her way out. He needed something, but what is it? Ah! He remembered, shouting, "Brigit!" Just in time. Brigit is standing by the door. He continued to finish what he wanted say, "I need a favor. Please tell Conaire to draft a letter too. I'll send him mine soon. For now, I want him and Tasach to work on it. Just in case. Maybe we could put in additions or remove irrelevancy and discrepancies. Tell them to use majestic plural."

HM GOVERNMENT
Ministry of Information
21 Pargesians' Avenue,
Greater New Kenlis
DATE

Dear Mr. Lenković,

We are writing to inform you that His Majesty Diarmait III, King of Pargesia, has accepted your invitation.

His Majesty is pleased to have the support of the Dáil Parges, enabling Us to convey a favorable position on the Arzell Crises. Despite Our policy of neutrality, His Majesty is deeply saddened with the violent exchanges between the High Kingdom of Ossoria and the Shalumite Empire and is deeply concerned with the possibility of total war.

For now, His Majesty is satisfied to additionally inform you Our position on the following issues:

Firstly, on Our delegates. They will compose of the following: His Royal Highness Crown Prince Diarmait, The Right Honourable Minister of Information, Éamann Enrigh, TD, PC in his capacity as 2nd Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Permanent Under Secretary of the Ministry of Information Gareth Domnall. Further information regarding Our delegation will be sent by The Right Honourable Minister of Foreign Affairs, Máirtín Conrad, TD, PC.

All information regarding His Royal Highness Crown Prince Diarmait will be sent by the Mayor of the Royal Palace and Principal Private Secretary to the Sovereign, Sir Blair Carlson. If there will be issues and other affairs that you and your government must inform us regarding His Royal Highness, please deliver such matters to Sir Carlson without consideration of the Office of the Prime Minister or any other in His Majesty's Government.

Second and lastly, on personal security. His Majesty's Ambassador to the Syaran Commonality will inform you of Our concerns and recommendations after discussions have been concluded to analyze and determine possible threats and existing risks with his team in the Pargesian Embassy.

Yours sincerely,

Éamann Enrigh
2nd Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
Minister of Information

Dubravko Lenković
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Syaran Commonality

The Bending Joint

'Opening Day' greeted passerbys. A new sandwich restaurant opened nearby at 25 Pargesians' Avenue. This is where Gareth Domnall, Permanent Under Secretary of the Ministry of Information, also known as Permanent Secretary for easy reference, chose to go for lunch. He is eating a salad. Whilst he has not seen this place before, he did not bother look around. Food has always been the center of his attention every time he comes in a restaurant. He smacked his lips at every bite, savoring the greasy taste.

At each savor, he paused for a moment to give time to an online conversation he is in on his touchscreen phone:

╰★╮
B-Board

< Chat
Options >

Conaire Creachmhaoil
● ONLINE

You

The draft so far looks okay. You can tell that to the Minister.

Conaire

Why are we using the majestic plural? Isn't it out of touch?

You

Not at all, but it's use is not for the sake of tradition.

Conaire

Then what is it for?

You

It's to confuse the recipient on who is liable.

Conaire

But the Minister used his name.

You

Yes, but they will receive it translated to their language.

Conaire

And?

You

Translation is open for interpretation and prone to mistakes since their language is not our language.

Conaire

True. Anyway, why are we confusing the Syarans?

You

For starters, who knows what will their reply be.

Conaire

Another letter?

You

Concealing poison powder that is powerful enough to kill you and everybody within a 10-feet radius

Conaire

Is that it? Is that even?

You

That's just one of many things.

Conaire

Fine. What did The Palace say?

You

Apart from HM receiving the draft, HM has expressed concerns of involving HRH.

Conaire

Ah, is it HRH's sexual endeavors?

You

Yes. You know, we need to give it a codename. This is a very sensitive topic about our future king.

You

Especially a homosexual future king.

You

HRH slept with five different men this week. All high school football players.

You

Not all are even from his school.

You

Suppose this could be another discussion to question why HRH is in a public school.

You

But not a discussion for today.

You

Now, people might feel uncomfortable for the future of the monarchy.

You

Especially after what happened to Crown Prince Torin.

You

Not to mention the Princess Nóra's condition.

You

Setting that aside, I have assured HM that HRH will be forced to sexual abstinence.

You

Duty to country comes first.

Conaire

HRH will find a way.

Conaire

We've heard and seen it all. We cannot take any chances of letting him be creative.

Conaire

The right thing to do is to allow him. We could monitor his activities.

Conaire

Better that than discovering he's being fucked by a Syaran behind our backs.

Conaire

And since we forced abstinence, there's no way we'd allow him to bring condoms.

Conaire

He'll be prone to STD.

You

Let's move this discussion in my office after lunch.

You

I need three communiques for the Arzell Talks

You

One in the event that the talks have gone sour

You

The other if The Talks concluded successfully and favorably for both parties

You

The last is if the Arzell Talks are neither sour or successful in the sense of what I just said.

You

Actually, there's more.

You

Another in the event that we're responsible for the success

You

Two more each for either parties' success, but no suggestion that we support either

You

And if we're responsible for its failure, use the third communique. The same for every other party.

You

The same for everything if its better than the first communique

You

Remember, a good communique bears no resemblance to what it's supposed to discuss.

You

That way, no accountability possible yet open for accountability.

Conaire

What if The Talks are inconclusive?

You

Easy, make another one. Is Tasach working with you on this?

Conaire

Yes, we're working on it. Don't worry, we'll manage.

You

Good. I'll be coming back very soon. I'm almost done with lunch.
Press here to type message...
Last edited by Pargesia on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:56 am, edited 31 times in total.
Hi! I am the RPer behind the
Kingdom of Pargesia: Factbook

Shalum
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shalum » Sat May 19, 2018 1:14 am

Revjakoyia Estate,
Commonality of Syara

Early in his life, well before he had wielded the sort of power that he did at the moment, Imperator Tyler Holland had heard the phrase ‘if you’ve been to one state visit than you’ve been to them all.’ It was a dry statement, certainly, and perhaps a bit too on the nose to be funny, but that didn’t make it any less true. In the decade that he’d been in power, the imperial monarch had attended more gatherings than he cared to remember. Aside from the host country, very little was subject to change - even the people around him. The only pleasant surprises came from Inaran and Sidurian democracies, who were more or less forced to change up their entourages when differing factions came took power.

As he adjusted his tie, Tyler took a moment to study those who had accompanied him. The imperials were a mix of people he had known since the beginning of his tenure, such as his wife, to diplomats that he hadn’t even known existed until their names had appeared on a list during a briefing. Apparently there had been an Undersecretary of Imperial Affairs in Siduri since the seventies, but no one had deemed it prudent to remind him of that until he was on the plane sitting next to Philip Norton. What made things even worse was that the Imperator had apparently signed off on the man’s appointment at some point. It was an event that he couldn’t remember, no matter how hard he wracked his brain.

If the balding, middle aged diplomat had noticed his monarch’s confusion, he had been all too graceful to not so much as acknowledge it. Norton had just smiled, before turning his attention to the two ambassadors that rounded out the key members of their delegation. Unlike them, his job allowed for a fair bit more free reign. On paper, his job was to foster positive relations with all nations on the continent of Siduri; in practice, he was a glorified sales representative. From the moment he had stepped into the estate, apparently slipping tips to several of the local staff as he went, Philip had seemed to know everyone. The Imperator had no doubt that a good deal of it was a show, but the Undersecretary was so convincing that it was enough to at least give him pause as he laughed and shook hands with their towering host.

There was a sudden feeling that danced along his arm, through the fabric of his suit jacket, and to the skin beneath. A glance to his side identified the source as his wife. The tall blonde, clad in a blue designer dress, smiled as she drank in the sight of so many arriving parties. He knew how she really felt, though; it wasn’t a genuine expression. Her lips were pulled too tightly, and the shine didn’t reach her eyes like it usually did. “You know, it wouldn’t kill you too look a little more enthused.”

Tyler chuckled wryly and shifted his arm. It wasn’t the first time he’d used the trick, and soon enough, their fingers were laced together. “Same dog and pony show, different day, love. I’m just ready to get to the actual meat of this.”

“You’ve never wanted to consort with Ossorians before,” the Imperatrix noted as they drew closer to Kostović. “Are you turning over a new leaf, love?”

Her husband shot her a scandalized look. “Hell no.” He replied, seemingly on instinct. “It’s just preferable to this.” He would have loved for Anelyn to be in attendance as well, but she had explained the reasons for her absence when they had called her during the flight. It was understandable, but it didn’t make things easier.

As they shuffled along, the Imperator couldn’t help but look around - a bit nervous as he did so. The whole reason for this meeting in the first place was because yet another of his nation’s fuckups. Sadly, they were becoming all too common; he wasn’t so much preventing them anymore as he was stemming the bleeding. Tyler was just thankful that he wasn’t the cause this time. Hopefully Queen Tara and Chairman Schefer would be more amenable than they had been last time he had spoken to them.
Conscription is the vitality of a nation, the purification of its morality, and the real foundations of all its habits.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden then to be a gardener in a war.

Azura and Montemayor
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 02, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Azura and Montemayor » Sat May 19, 2018 6:47 am

Revjakoyia Estate,
Commonality of Syara

Coming to Syara to attend a peace conference that had no guarantee of succeeding was not something that the Emperor wished to be doing. For someone his age, hours long plane flights and meetings with large numbers of people were not high on his list of hobbies. Alas, this was not something that he could delegate to someone else. While he had brought along a number of diplomatic staff, as was expected, he knew that he must attend something of this magnitude himself. If the talks were to fail, it was only a matter of time until war broke out again on the continent. Azurlavai was at the breaking point, Ossorian generals were likely frothing at the mouth in private to resume their attacks, and Shalumite leadership was undoubtedly crawling back to its master in Visegrad.

Meanwhile, Azura and Montemayor had sat silently as the tensions rose. Despite being lobbied by both sides on multiple occasions for multiple reasons, the leadership had opted to remain neutral in the interests of peace. It would only take one more military to enter the mix for the situation to spin out of control. Another great war would be likely, and memories from the previous one was not something people liked to recall. If the talks failed, though, it would likely lead to Azura and Montemayor’s involvement. The government, while not saying it publicly, viewed Shalum as the aggressor.

Nerves were wearing thin with Shalum back home. Those who had pushed the most for warmer relations over the past decade had begun to be less enthusiastic. It was no secret among the nobility that the Emperor was beginning to regret his agreement to marry his only daughter to the third son of the Shalumite Imperator. The same could be said for Azura and Montemayor’s neighbors. Azurlavai, while never close to the level of relations Azura and Montemayor had reached with Shalum, had at least made an attempt through the UEN to lessen the tensions. Ossoria, which by all account never had the best relations with Shalum – except the one time they decided to save them from their immediate destruction during the Great War – had been growing more and more discontent. Even the other Eracuran nations were becoming wary. For many, it was only a matter of time until the UEN, with its original mission to prevent wars between Azurlavai, Azura and Montemayor, and Shalum, collapsed.

Accompanying the Emperor to the summit was the Minister of Foreign Affairs, František Hruby. The two spoke often, albeit less than he spoke with the Prime Minister. Recent world events had led the Emperor and the Foreign Minister to become well acquainted. There was also Azura and Montemayor’s Permanent Ambassador to the Organization of Tyrannic Nations, Augustín Novosad. His presence was mainly in the interests of including someone from that wing of the foreign ministry. Azura and Montemayor’s permanent seat on the security council made whoever was appointed to the position a valuable and important individual, and the man had proven himself as a competent diplomat on several occasions. Also in attendance was the Azuran and Montemayori Ambassador to Ossoria, Klaudie Janda, and the Ambassador to Shalum Miloslav Bartoš. Both knew the inner workings of each country better than any other diplomat from their home country, and because of that were needed voices and advisors at the summit.

The flight to Syara had been uneventful. Final briefings on the situation and talks to ensure that all members of the delegation were on the same page took up the majority of the flight. The short amount of time that the Emperor had to himself before the plane landed was spent in his private office pouring a shot or two of whiskey for himself. It was likely the only way he made it through the first day without truly speaking his mind and letting his Shalumite counterpart know how he felt about the most recent blunder. He hadn't had long before a voice came over the plane's intercom alerting him to the imminent landing, signaling the beginning of what would be days of yelling matches and unending arguments.

Azurlavai
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Azurlavai » Sat May 19, 2018 11:32 am

Revjakoyia Estate,
Commonality of Syara

Her lateness was not from distance. For Supreme Chairman Monika Schefer, the reason she was only just pulling up to the door right now was because of her own chiefs of staff. HIGHKOM and the Council both were nervous about her going in nearly alone. Aside from two Huscarls who positioned themselves specifically where they could be watched by Commonality security, her only company was her lindsman Major Tor Vahlen. Agent Haug had offered to send an agent in Huscarl uniform, but she’d refused. The NSB were already working to withdraw assets within Syara, formerly in place to work mischief in what was seen as enemy territory. That was why she’d come here almost alone, a show of trust. Aside from the small handgun she’d pulled from her jacket and handed to door security (a show at this point. Everyone expected to confiscate firearms from Azurlavs these days) she’d left herself bare to a huge number of risks. Her commanders had of course tried to talk sense into her, even ordering her plane to divert in order to hold a full-scale conference. But, being the Supreme Chairman, she got her way. She would not show up to the peace summit with a small army, as Rappe wanted her to.

Besides, if there was one man she wanted to reach a show of trust out to it was Radovan Kostović.

The moment she was in the door, she began scanning for the Executive. She had, of course, changed into a fresh uniform after her stopover. With so many flights outbound to visit with representatives and heads of states, it had seemed like forever since she’d put on a new jacket. Even longer since she’d seen him last, even though in reality it had of course been only a few days. She’d gulped down a Jotunn energy drink after a quick two hour nap on the plane, so as a result she was both buzzing with anticipation and...well, just plain buzzing. But she wanted to see Radovan. Kostović, she scolded herself. She had to think of him professionally. She had a job to do here, after all. The Haer sat poised along the border, ready to rush into the gap and overwhelm the Imperial Army. With their allies the Chihonese and Acreans in country, such a move would have to be done swiftly, and her Warlords had to draw up such brutal and extensive plans now, rather than later, or risk losing the initiative. Acrea may have been further away, but it had reserves, technology and economic strength to draw on, as well as a willing subject in the Dominion. Even with her successful diplomatic efforts Monika knew a war with Acrea would be long and hard.

While she spotted the Executive, he seemed surrounded by a small crowd and she knew she wouldn’t get a moment alone with him. At the same time, the sight of none other than Imperator Tyler Holland worked exactly as a same-pole magnet and repelled her away from the portion of the room he shared with his wife.

Which finally brought her to the Emperor. She had only come face to face with His Majesty Drahoslav a handful of times, communicating mostly over the phone or with his retainers, for good reason. For both of them, the risk of assassination was very real, and there were plenty who would take the choice opportunity to kill both of them in the same place, regardless of the risk. It was only recently Monika had thrown caution to the wind and restarted state visits, trying to push the human element. And it had been working. Syara had come around, and if they had then the possibilities were endless for the future.

She made sure to approach from a direction the Emperor could see her from, stepping up and bowing her head as she said “Your Majesty. An honor to see you again.” A nod to Hruby. “Minister,” another to Novosad, Janda and Bartoš “Ambassadors. It is wonderful to see Azura and Montemayor involved in settling the peace.”

Behind her, Vahlen merely crossed his arms, glancing around the room for threats, slouch cap pulled down low over his brow.
*No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.
*If your positions are firmly set and you are prepared to take the enemy assault on, he will bypass you.
*If your ambush is properly set, the enemy won't walk into it.
*If your flank march is going well, the enemy expects you to outflank him.
~Murphy's Laws of War

Ossoria
Envoy

Founded: Sep 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossoria » Sat May 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Revjakoyia Estate, Corchia
Commonality of Syara

Tara, the High Queen of Ossoria, nursed a glass of whiskey as she reviewed her notes from the latest briefing on the situation in Arzell and the most important states who were attending the summit in Syara. Though she and the other members of the Ossorian delegation had gone over the material that some minor functionary had presented to them in the aircraft's briefing room dozens of times already, she wanted to make sure she had it down. She was fairly confident that the other members of the delegation were going over their own notes as well, albeit with differing focal points.

The Lord Secretary for Military Affairs Kealan Greer and Grand Admiral Kirstin Beirne were there to advise her on military affairs as well as help flesh out the military side of the conflict. Lady Enya Curran, the Secretary for Foreign Affairs, and the Lord Ambassador to the Organization of Tyrannic Nations Rowan Barrett, were both natural selections for the conference, as their expertise in dealing with the represented nations would be vital during such a conference. Finally, Taoiseach Ennis Galeri was there to represent the General Assembly.

She took another sip as she turned the page. Tyler had certainly fucked up this time, if not him specifically, then his subordinates. Hundreds dead, thousands displaced, millions of crowns down the drain with billions more needed to rebuild what the Shalumites had wrecked. Either way, she was determined to get her pound of flesh for what he had done to her country and her people. Her fiance had expressed his concern in the days leading to the summit that her temper would get the better of her when she finally came face to face with Tyler, but he needn't have worried. She was certainly furious with the Imperator, but it was no longer fiery, but cold and focused.

Tara drained her glass as a voice over the intercom announced their imminent landing. Before too long, they would be at the estate with the other delegations, and the time for preparation would be over. At that point, the game would begin in earnest.
The High Kingdom of Ossoria
High Queen Tara Silven

Acrea
Attaché

Founded: Aug 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Acrea » Sat May 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Revjakoyia Estate
Commonality of Syara

"...i vse idet po-grafiku. My ozhidayem shto perviy yetap budet zavershen kontsu mesyatsa (and everything is running on time. We expect that the first stage to be done by the end of the month)," Maxim Ruskov read from his tablet, looking up across from him where Ekaterina sat, her arm resting by the elbow on the armrest propping her head up and her eyes shut.

"Otlichna... skazhite yemu 'spasiba' za yego userdiye v peresmotre plana. Uzkiye mesta kotoryye on opredelil byli by katastrofoy. (Wonderful... tell him 'thank you' for his due diligence in reviewing the plan first. The bottlenecks he recognised would have been a disaster)," she replied in a tone little higher than a murmur. There was a certain blend of hesitation and frustration mixed in her expression. In all the years that he had known her, Maxim had seen many sides of Ekaterina. But here, in a simple dark red blouse and knee-length skirt and minimal makeup, a black blazer draped over her lap, she seemed very much like Dmitrii Kalinin had been his first time carrying out his duties- pensive, determined, and just a tad irritated with going through the vapid reality of their homeland's politics. But Dmitrii had not been staring down the barrel of an international crisis then.

There was a more sinister reality to that irritation which accompanied the experience of politic's formalities and trivialities. Making Ekaterina's job only harder was the fact that there were a number of people in Visegrad who would have been happy to see a conflict break out. While neither he nor Ekaterina saw the potential conflict as a world-ending one, neither held the erroneous opinion that it would be an easy war. It would be hard, and it would be costly, and as ready as they liked to think their military ready for a conflict the current situation was not in their favour. As conspiratory and wrong as it sounded, they preferred a war on their terms, not that of the Azurans or the Azurlavaians.

Maxim looked around the SUV they rode in as it rumbled along the streets. It was oriented such that the two rear rows faced each other, the back of the second row fixed to the back of the driver's and front passenger's seats. Aside from himself and Ekaterina sat was Sergey Vlacic, the minister of foreign affairs, in the seat to the left of him, and across from Sergey an agent of the SBP, the government's security service. The agent looked disinterested in anything aside from there surroundings, whilst Sergey was invested in the documents he was scrolling through on his tablet.

The vehicle followed another which contained only security officers, while the one behind them carried the rest of their party- Ion Croitoru, the minister of defence, Amirah Andrina, the ambassador to Ossoria, and Michel Stoe, the ambassador to Shalum. Following them was another SUV of security.

"Ty znaesh... veroyatna, oni ozhidayut shto my budyem upryamymi (You know, they are probably expecting us to be stubborn)," he mused, eyes resting on the blonde woman across from him. That seemed to momentarily break Ekaterina out of her pensive trance, as her eyes went from looking at nothing to looking at him and her lips turned up.

"Vse zavisit ot togo, chevo oni hotyat (It all depends on what they want)," she replied with a shrug. Despite what Maxim thought, it was not the perceived weight of the summit that made her weary. Even if this conference succeeded and a conflict was avoided for the moment, it was just as evident to her as it was to the many advisers that surrounded her in Visegrad that the war weariness of the previous decades had gone. Though one crisis might be averted, she could not simply expect it to stay that way. There would be another crisis, another incident, until the point where a conflict was inevitable. Those were the thoughts that weighed on the young leader's mind. The ongoing expansion of their troops in Shalum reflected the conclusion she'd reached; in order to preserve their strength and ensure the security of their ally, they had to be ready for a conflict when it came, rather than trying to always adjust depending on the situation as her predecessor had done.

As the SUV and the ones in front and behind it stopped, the SBP officer opening the door, it was a hell of a thought to go into this summit with.
Last edited by Acrea on Sat May 19, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syara
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Syara » Sat May 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Revjakoyia Estate,
Commonality of Syara

It was a comparatively rare occurrence for so many regional leaders to be concentrated in one room. It was almost overwhelming, knowing how many regional economies, armed forces, and political influence were concentrated in the handful of regional leaders currently making themselves at home within the foyer. Radovan Kostović, Executive of the Syaran Commonality, stood in the center of the room, taking personal note of all the representatives present. All the big players were present; the Ossorians, Acreans, Shalumnites, Azurans, Azurlavains, Cacertians, Acreans, Delkorans, Gylians, Mubatans, Allamunics, Quenminh, Kirisakians, Siluans, and the Pargesians.

By the time all the delegates had arrived, the sun was setting on the horizon, casting long shadows across the landscape. The estate, located in the mountains above the fields and valleys below, glistened in the waning daylight. Inside bright chandeliers and ornate light fixtures reflected off champagne glasses and jewelry. Syaran stewards crossed the room here and there, offering every dignitary some form of refreshment be it drink or food. There was a dim chatter that permeated the building as old friends and new acquaintances greeted each other fondly or cold, depending on the individuals involved.

Kostović made it his point to greet the major representative from each nation personally. He made his way around the room, offering a firm handshake with his crooked and broken fingers, a small if sly smile, and assurances that he was both pleased to see them here and confident that they would accomplish great things in the near future.

“Minister Zabejukwa,” He said, offering the Mubatan a handshake and a polite smile, “I’m glad to see you here. I hope things are well down south?”

“Premier,” He said to Ekaterina, offering a small bow as he shook her hand. “I trust the flight was comfortable, if a bit long? I know those international travels can get pretty monotonous if you don’t find ways to keep yourself entertained.”

“The Iron Wolf herself! I believe this is your first time in my homeland. I trust you’re adjusting well? I’m sure the heat’s a bit annoying, hmmm?” He said, in between shaking the hands of Ara and the High Princess, Chmieliauskaite.

“Minister Vartanian,” he said to the Gylian delegate. “Good to see you. I believe your Kirisakian and Cacertian friends are nearby as well. Be nice to see a friendly face instead of just a bunch of stuck up prudes, no?”

As he had already met them on more than one occasion, he was a bit more casual with the Cacertians Valeriana and Alessandra. “Seems like the whole region’s turned out for this. How long you want to bet until someone starts a fist fight? My money is on Tara taking the first swing on Tyler.”

To the Ossorians he was more formal. “Your Royal Majesty,” He said in a bow to the High Queen. “I’ll admit, I was hoping that the first time we’d meet it would be over drinks instead of trying to stop a war, but I hope we can still hammer something out here.”

The Emperor of Azura and Montemayor was a man that Kostović had only limited interaction with, in fact he had not known what he looked like before this summit, but he greeted Emperor Drahoslav with a friendly demeanor. “Your Majesty, it’s an honor. I hope we can work together more in the future to ensure further stability in the region.” Azura and Montemayor always seemed like the odd one out to the Syarans; they weren’t the fascist Azurlavians, the teutonic Shalumnites, or the naval Ossorians. They were in a lot of ways an enigma.

He approached Tyler Holland, Imperator of the Shalumnites, with a respectful gaze. “Imperator,” He said while offering a firm handshake, “The one and only. An honor to have the Holland dynasty within these halls. I’m sure you share my hopes that what we settle here is lasting peace in our time.”

As he bid a polite and temporary farewell to the Shalmunites, and almost immediately forced himself to exhale and breathe normally. Kostović was a man who had once strangled a cell mate with a copper wire and shanked another in the communal showers with a shard of glass, but he found himself struggling to think of what to say as he approached Supreme Chairman Monika Schefer. Part of his mind urged him to treat her like any other delegate, just say something polite and hopeful and move on. But something else, loud and urgent, in his chest demanded he say something more.

He waited until Shefer had finished her business with the Azuran Emperor before approaching her. For some reason, his tongue failed just before he was about to speak, and he forced his vocal chords to work out something before things become awkward. “Some of the most powerful people in the region are here, with their fingers on triggers and massive economies to leverage funds from.” He fought with himself before finally admitting “And your outshining them all.”

He offered his hand, a small smile on his lips. It struck him that she was practically alone; everyone else had brought at least one compatriot, but here she was with nothing but security. She was either that confident, which would’ve impressed Kostović, or she trusted him that much, which made feel some strange warmth within his stomach. He cleared his throat and squeezed her hand gently as he exchanged handshakes. “A lot of people here can say one word and get a lot of people killed. Best we don’t screw this up, eh?”

When his business with Monika was concluded, he took center stage and raised a glass to all the delegates.

“Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed and honored guests, let me all welcome you to Syara. We have all come together here to establish lasting peace for all our nations, to put an end to misunderstandings and avoid future bloodshed. I hope tomorrow we can all put aside what historical grievances we may have, and look to a future free of war and conflict. In the meantime, please make yourselves comfortable and enjoy yourselves. When you are ready to retire, our staff will show you to your quarters.”
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quen Minh
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Quen Minh » Sun May 20, 2018 12:18 am

Revjakoyia Estate,
Commonality of Syara

"Vì vậy, cô Quyên, cảm thấy vui mừng khi chính thức nói chuyện với họ lần đầu tiên? (So, Miss Quyen, feel excited to officially talk to them for the first time?)," Dương Tấn Nam, the Quenminese Ambassador to Ossoria, asked.

"Rất, thành thật mà nói. Đặc biệt, với vấn đề thảm khốc này. (Very, to be honest. Especially, with this potentially catastrophic issue)," Phan Vi Quyên, the Chargé d'Affaires of the Imperial Office of International Affairs, answered.

She then sighs.

"Tôi muốn Đại sứ Tổ chức các Quốc gia Ty Rang không bị bệnh. Anh ta sẽ xử lý điều này tốt hơn tôi (I wish the Ambassador to the Organization of Tyrannic Nations didn't get sick. He would handle this better than I would)."

"Chỉ cần trò chuyện với họ như thể họ là bạn của bạn. Bạn sẽ được tốt từ đó (Just converse with them as if they're your friends. You'll be fine from there)."

"Tôi cũng mong là như vậy (I hope so)."

"Cuối cùng, nó sẽ là cuộc nói chuyện thú vị nhất mà chúng tôi từng có (On our end, it will be the most interesting talk we'll ever have)."

"Bạn đã nói như thế. Tôi khó có thể chờ đợi người Ối sơ rạng tranh luận chống lại bất cứ điểm nào mà người Shâ lưm phải đưa ra (You said it. I can hardly wait for the Ossorians to argue against whatever points the Shalumites have to bring up)," Nguyễn Tuyết Băng, the Ambassador to Shalum, said sardonically.

"Ồ, đợi cho đến khi chúng tôi đến các đại biểu từ các quốc gia khác sắp sửa tham gia (Oh, just wait until we get to the delegates from the other nations that are about to get themselves involved)," Diệp Giang Thiên, Ambassador to Mubata, added.

Băng hums to herself.

"Vâng, đủ chán nản cho bây giờ. Hãy ăn một cái gì đó. Tôi đang đói (Well, enough discouragement for now. Let's get something to eat. I'm starving)," Nam said.

The delegates nod in agreement.

"Ngày lưu ý rằng, tôi hy vọng tôi nhận được thông qua mà không có Hoàng đế Shâ lưm nói chuyện với tôi cho một lần (On that note, I hope I get through without the Shalumite Imperator talking dirty to me for once)," Băng said.

"Hy vọng (Hopefully)," Nam said after chuckling.

The others chuckle as they went off to fill their empty stomachs.
Last edited by Quen Minh on Sun May 20, 2018 12:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tis' best that you call my nation Quenmin.

"It is a useless life that is not consecrated to a great ideal” - Jose Rizal

“You call me a legendary general, but I think I’m no different from my soldiers" - Võ Nguyên Giáp

"Learning never exhausts the mind" - Leonardo da Vinci

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Pargesia
Attaché

Founded: Mar 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Pargesia » Sun May 20, 2018 8:14 pm

Commonality of Syara
Revjakoyia Estate

DÁIL PARGES

A SPEECH

FROM THE THRONE

BY

HIS MAJESTY THE KING

At the Last Opening of Session of the Twenty-Sixth Dail
of Pargesia

March 5, 2018
at 2:00 PM

COMPILED BY THE PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICE
OF THE DÁIL PARGES LIBRARY AND RESEARCH SERVICE

Clad in black business suits and decorated with sashes and flag pins bearing the same colors, the Pargesian delegates are ready for the historic Arzell Talks. They stood together, quite together, in the room where all other delegates and dignitaries mingled or simply stood and assembled.

"Got the Speech from the Throne?" The Right Honourable Minister of Information, Éamann Enrigh, TD, PC asked the Permanent Under Secretary of the Ministry of Information Gareth Domnall.

"In all languages known to man. Well, to man who professes diplomacy and civil service. And perhaps polygots as well. So I'm confident to say we're prepared. Very prepared." He replied. The Minister looked pleased with that chewy grin on his face.

"Very good, Gareth. Very good! Twenty-pages of political capital in our grasp and blank for writing and the first in our list is this. A worthy spend due to be well-spent and great investment for our national portfolio in geopolitics. How fortunate to live in a time when civil service and government can do better to unite as one and can do its best afterwards. All for the best interests of the Pargesian Crown. Putting that aside, I don't want to get ahead of myself now. I don't want to jinx this affair. Now, we must discuss the code names." The Minister said.

No proper reply. The Permanent Secretary looked confused at this proposition. And so the Minister asked, "What?"

"Code names for His Royal Highness?" And now the Minister looked confused.

"Of course not, don't be silly Gareth." Both of the smiled and shook their heads, one done it sideways while the other did it up and down. The latter being more unsophisticated and the other otherwise. It shouldn't surprise anybody which one did it. If not, then let it be known that it is the Minister then the Permanent Secretary in this order. Known only if you asked the right person that is.

"Code names for me?" His Royal Highness Crown Prince Diarmait asked while he smoothened his gray suit. The only Pargesian delegate with a distinct fashion and will continue to have such distinction until the end of the Arzell Talks. A little bit astray since he's busy looking at the people in this place. Hoping he'd see somebody to have fun with for the evening. Frankly, anybody would do in doing him.

The Minister said, "No, Your Royal Highness." While the Permanent Secretary, "Of course not, Sir."

Both of them noticed that the 17 year-old Pargesian royal heir seemed out of place in this event. Such a juvenile face, and adorable, but they could feel the odious displeasure hidden beneath His Royal Highness's endearing childish face. What reassures them is the refreshments he has on his hand, reaffirming his obligation to reciprocate social calls. The only thing the Crown Prince has in concord with everybody in the Pargesian delegation.

And it is true. They received the suspicious glare of the Crown Prince of Pargesia, who got shaken himself and shook it all off. It wasn't his interest. He wouldn't care anyway, noting from what he already knew. Something unpleasant. His sexual deviance has affected the opinion of many people at Gwyn Palace, but what surprised him is Gareth. He can't believe that a man such as a Gareth, who had once been at the service of His Royal Highness and the Royal Family, would dare and try to pick on him with backhanded couth. At least that is what he suspects. There is a part in him that still trusts Gareth, and the rest of His Majesty's Government here.

Truly, his concerns, even if he's over the seas and far away, are at home. Greater than anything, even this.

"Carry on, gentlemen." And so the Crown Prince said in retreat. He turned around to walk away and find something to do or, still hoping, somebody to do him.

The Minister wasted no time and laid out, "Here are my ideas on the code names: 'Greenminded' for Ossoria, 'Red Member' for Acrea, 'Big Red Member' for Shalum, 'Galveston Stone' for Azura, 'The Other Stone' for Azurlavai, 'Pinky' for Cacertians, 'Whities' for Delkorans, 'Jews' for Gylias, 'Coffee' for Mubata, 'Breakfast' for the Allamunic States, 'Cloudverse' for Quenmin, 'Aunt Elly' for Kirisaki, 'Other Whities' for Siluans, 'The Big Red Member' for Pargesia, and 'Uncle Albert' for the Syaran Commonality."

The Permanent Secretary was bewildered but nonetheless capable and well-aware enough. Thank the God they're still sober. So Gareth can do well in this ministerial proposal by accepting it with a nod. The Minister can have his fun in creativity, even though he might seem lacking in that field of expertise, and might even be an insult if ever he tried to develop his skills there. Anyway, there's no point for code names for now since there's nothing they would discuss that will be relevant to any party and extremely disadvantageous to Pargesia, and if there would be any it would only concern, most likely, His Royal Highness and his behavior. This is what the Permanent Secretary believes until there would be a reappraisal.

Though Gareth is confident that the Crown Prince can take care of himself and Pargesia. Crown Prince Diarmait knows better than to embarrass their country, His Majesty the King who is the legal personification of Pargesian state and, therefore, due to multiple and national misconception, the national personification of His Majesty. That, with the exception of the latter topic which meant to supplement his knowledge and help pick up his thoughts, is what Gareth thinks at the very least and will be so as long as he is comfortable with the set of circumstances in their party so far.

"I suppose we should ought to spread out?" Gareth proposed.

The Minister nodded, "Yeah sure...Wait, can I have a copy of the Twenty-Eighteen Speech from the Throne?"

Gareth gave a copy and the Minister smiled his way somewhere.

"But what's the point of bringing the copies if they don't have anything in it?" His Majesty's Ambassador to the Syaran Commonality asked.

Gareth looked at him and it ensued into a staring contest, which made the most senior Pargesian diplomat in this country feel uncomfortable. The Ambassador had to interrupt and bring light to this...Whatever it is that is happening, "Permanent Secretary, are you alright?"

"No, are you?" The Permanent Secretary replied to the Ambassador's surprise.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand." The Ambassador said, completely in the black here.

"You clearly don't. The copies are here for props. And not for the dignitaries but for the Pargesian and international press waiting and on the prowl. They have to see that there is a Twenty-Eighteen Speech from the Throne lest they start asking difficult questions and prompt courageous political answers, something His Majesty's Civil Service would do well to prevent for His Majesty's Pleasure."

"But what if the dignitaries see and ask about it?"

The Permanent Secretary threw a smug smile at the Ambassador and began, "There are two countermeasures, two so far if I may say: Firstly, in the event when the paper is seen by a dignitary and has taken interest, building up to a request to see it, then we should let them see it," The Ambassador raised his eyebrows, widened his eyes, and was just about to speak and object but, "Wait now. Now then, so let them see it. It may sound stupid but yes, let them see it and read the blank pages. That's when we say 'Oh, I'm appalled' then we blame somebody or two in your diplomatic mission or our delegation staff for 'getting blank copies'. Then we fire them and send them packing home to work at an autonomous government agency with good pay and pension. Somebody disposable, perhaps somebody new so there wouldn't be much hurt. But in the end, everybody's happy."

The Ambassador could not believe what he was hearing. He had to learn the other one now and hope it is better, "And secondly?"

"We have briefcases."
Last edited by Pargesia on Thu May 24, 2018 3:23 am, edited 8 times in total.
Hi! I am the RPer behind the
Kingdom of Pargesia: Factbook

Shalum
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shalum » Sun May 27, 2018 11:55 am

Hill 358
Southern Maldoria

General Sigmund van Doorn was the sort of man who would have climbed the ladder of command on the bones of his soldiers without a second thought. Born to a small, proud knightly house that had held off incursions from the southern vikings for generations, he had listened to the many exploits of his ancestors when he was but a young child. Those stories had filled him with awe, certainly, but they had also enlightened him to the darker parts of warfare. In defense of a nation, one had to do uncomfortable things such as see soldiers as statistics and strategy as a means to an end. High Kommand had quietly tasked him with reinforcing this region of the border, and the good general had assured him that he would do everything in his power to ensure that the sovereignty of the Empire would endure indefinitely.

Defense in depth was the name of the game at Maldoria and along the border in general. If war was to break out, the chances of Imperial forces being able to grind the opposition to a halt were infinitesimal at best. They were just too close to enemy territory. That being said, there wasn’t much hope lost either. The areas along the border weren’t exactly rich in major cities or strategic resources, so Shalum had the space to lose. A fighting retreat would give even the well oiled Azzie war machine pause as they were forced to spread out and pacify the areas that they took control over.

Gazing out from the open hatch of his command vehicle, the general’s eyes tracked the movements of his soldiers. Many of them had rolled up their long sleeves or had even stripped down to the waist, their bodies slick with sweat as they toiled. The majority of them were from various engineering units, but there were local workers present as well - kept under the close watch of riflemen. The Duchess had been kind enough to lend some of her own ‘laborers,’ while others had been drawn from military administrative zones like Liam state.

Grunting quietly, van Doorn pushed out of the vehicle and rose up to his full height, donning a cap as he went. It was hot out, and he really didn’t want to go anywhere, but it was better than the cramped confines of his Puma. Sliding his sidearm back into the holster, the safety engaged, he began to walk out towards the fortifications that his soldiers were erecting.

The men and women that he had been assigned weren’t much, truth be told. The majority of their units were from loyalist places up north, like the capital. They all had gone through training, yes, but they had all served in comfy positions since then. Maldoria was harsh, and in a shooting war, Sigmund didn’t much stock in them being able to hold back the enemy for more than a few days. They would break, and that was perfectly fine. The real guardians of the Empire, his more experienced troops, were stationed at the predetermined main line of defense some thirty kilometers north.

“General?”

“Yes, Solaris?”

The officer was never really alone. A fireteam of kasrkin had been assigned as his bodyguard detail, and several more made up his general staff. Captain William Solaris was his aide-de-camp who handled most of the go betweens. “I have a report on the artillery batteries you requested.”

“Oh? Tell me it is good news.”

“To some extent, sir.” The younger man bobbed his head. “The order has been approved in full, sir, but it may be another two weeks before the entirety arrives. With all of the other construction operations currently going on, our transport trains and vehicles are tasked to capacity for the foreseeable future. For the time being, we’ll have to rely on the lighter guns and mortars.”

“Let’s hope we don’t need them, in that case.” The general replied gruffly. “How long until the pass is secure?”

Kazan Pass, which they currently overlooked, was an area of Maldoria that saw a lot of international commercial travel. Even now trucks were coming and going, loaded down with coal, rare earth elements, and numerous other products. It was not unique, but Sigmund could only assume the enemy would want to control it for the sake of their supply chain.

“Another week or two, at least.” Solaris replied with a small frown as he looked towards the traffic lanes. “Many of the pillboxes aren’t finished yet. If needed, first company could occupy them in a pinch, but they’re not yet suitable for long term service. Our engineers are working on it, but then again, they’ve got a lot on their plate right now.”

“Then let’s hope this conference is fruitful then, captain.” The general replied as he rested his hands on his hips. They had time, whether it was mere days, or even weeks. So long as the sycophants went at it down in Syara, there wouldn’t be a war. It wouldn’t last, though. History had proven that much. Sooner or later, Eracura would burn - it was just a matter of when and where, at this point. Regardless, Sigmund needed time to ready his troops the best he could.
Conscription is the vitality of a nation, the purification of its morality, and the real foundations of all its habits.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden then to be a gardener in a war.

Chihon
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Chihon » Sun May 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Revjakoyia Estate,
Commonality of Syara

The Chihonese contingent to Syara was small on purpose. Overshadowed by their Soviet allies, the Dominion’s own representatives consisted simply of Ambassador Liu Sadykov and his aide. It was a new appointment, almost an exile in its pointlessness, for while Chihon was a sovereign nation her foreign policy had to fall in line with Acrean ideals. Thus, he technically was a token presence, his actions meaningless unless they lay with the Soviets.

Sadykov was painfully aware of this as the Executives’ speech ended, and he toyed with his glass, trying not to look apprehensive. He wasn’t here to provide much voice, after all. But his information on the ground from his stay here might, at least, give adequate guidance and advice to the Soviets.

“It will be fine, Ambassador,” said his attendant Kang Li. “More than likely, this whole incident will blow over. Eracura is always on the verge of war.”

“You misunderstand my nervousness, Kang,” Sadykov replied, finally taking a gulp of his drink and wincing at the harshness. “I do not fear for the hostile actions that will plague this continent. Merely that our actions here are devoid of meaning.”

“The Dominion is vital to many nations,” Li replied. “We provide steel, oil, rare earth minerals, timber. Without us, many countries would falter.”

“And all our trade partners and more see us as little more than Soviet running dogs,” Sadykov grunted back, another drink in hand. “Makes you wonder why we stayed independent in the first place.”

Li had no answer to such a blatant and harsh statement.

Weijin, Chihon
The Vermilion Palace

“They want what?!”

Prime Minister Marat Alkiyev didn’t want to hear this. His head hung in his hands as he tried to ignore his cabinet arguing amongst themselves. Representatives were screaming at each other, military figures and civilians leaders up in arms and hollering. Behind the Prime Minister, Sei Rozov stepped closer and placed a hand on the Prime Minister’s shoulder.

“Mister Prime Minister, perhaps you should-”

Without a word, Alkiyev was on his feet, out through the double doors as his bodyguards moved to follow at a respected distance. He paced down the carpeted hallways. Paintings of famous figures from Chihonese history stared down at him, their legacy secure behind their history. But Alkiyev was still very much at risk of being a shame.

He finally came to his office, stumbling to the balcony as he looked out over Weijin and the empty palace courtyard. It was dark, and rainy. Though summer was coming, the spring rains were sweeping over the land. Good for the farmers and their enormous fields, but tonight of all nights it seemed like the weather was playing to his mood. He reached up, tugging on his tie and collar, desperate for air.

What Visegrad were asking for was...impossible. The Dominion Defense Force had struggled to put together the Expeditionary Force. To pull off an operation of this size, he’d have to activate the reserves, call on the merchant marine, commission dozens of airliners. How was he going to justify this to the public.

Behind him, he heard the doors fly open. He didn’t have to look back to know it was General Kai Leang, her high heels clicking on the hard wood floor of his office. Rozov attempted to stop her, but she merely blew past him, striding in until she was standing just behind Alkiyev. Then, she seemed to just stand there. He let out a laugh, more like a huff really.

“Going to tell me how nuts I am too? How this is impossible?”

“It’s not,” she replied, and he glanced back at her. “Difficult, yes. Unheard of, certainly. But a peacetime military, with the resources we have and the funding of a world superpower.” She stepped closer, and he saw the concern etched into her face. “We have been called upon to serve. For the first time, our nation has been asked to repay the promise we made, decades ago. Our ally needs our help.” She turned her hands up, empty and plying. “How can we turn them down now? We...have asked for this chance.”

“But fifty-thousand soldiers? On top of what we have already sent? We will have to draw from the Joint Logistics Corps, the Medical Service as well as air and land assets. We will have to encourage recruiting, pass a new defense budget, expand the Defense Force...we may even have to begin manufacturing equipment if Acrea is unable to supply our needs, which they may not even allow us.” Alkiyev sighed again, taking a heavy seat at his desk. “I’ll need to pick officers. Nazarbayev was one of my best, but he’s nowhere near able to command an entire army. I need to call Visegrad, find out what we’re allowed to do, sit down with union leaders and the merchant marine. Who am I-”

“I’ll go,” Leang said, holding up a hand. Alkiyev and Rozov gawked at her, and she glanced back and forth like they were the ones talking insanity. “I’m the obvious choice.”

“You are commander of the forces around the capital! The Dominion Guard, Reserves and Land Forces guarding Weijin!” Rozov protested, flummoxed. To him, Leang swung her fiery gaze, reminding both men of why she was called ‘the Tigress of Chihon’.

“Then I shall take them with me, and any other you deem fit to my appointment. The faster we get this massive operation underway, the sooner we will see it bear fruit. If we must conscript, we will. If we must buy our guns from the open market, we will. We have been called upon to serve. Mister Prime Minister, are we going to stay silent?”

For a minute, the office was silent aside from the patter of rain outside the window. One of the Guards coughed uncomfortably. It seemed as if all breath in the room was being held.

Finally, Alkiyev let out a sigh, reaching over to the phone on his desk and slowly punching away at the buttons. He waited, listening to the ringing on the other end.

“Yes, Visegrad Operator? This is Prime Minister Alkiyev. Who stands at the helm currently?”
"How do you judge the strength of a nation? Its men under arms? Its culture? Its economic prosperity? The strength of a nation is in the people's own way of taking all of these and making miracles. A truly great nation finds ways to accomplish this when lacking all three."

Cacerta
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cacerta » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:21 am

HMS Alessandra Sarissita-Trento (SSNA-JS-003)
The Malian Sea between Ossoria and Shalum

The Cacertian Royal Navy had one of the longest and most storied histories in the region of Tyran. While it may not be as technologically advanced as the Ossorians or as adaptable as the Acreans, the Cacertians were venerable—distinguished by their determination and, what many would call, stubbornness. As a modern blue water navy that still maintains battleships for their unorthodox firepower, the Cacertians were slow to adopt submersible technology and spent many of the decades following the end of the Great War playing catch up in the game of undersea Marco Polo.

One of the final directives Grand Admiral Andrea Doria called for as part of her long-term nuclear navy plan was a drastic review of Cacerta’s submersible fleet and one of those results was the reformation of Cacertian submersible strategy. The 1960s and 1970s saw Cacerta’s first nuclear submarines used primarily as fleet scouts and fleet escorts, never operating too far from a carrier or battleship led fleet. The Royal Navy launched the Johanna Sarissita-class of nuclear attack submarines in 1997 as the first ship in a new series of independent, dedicated attack boats and after extensive testing they were approved for mass production.

Captain First Grade Liviana Masconi commands the HMS Alessandra Sarissita-Trento, the third ship of the JS series, based out of the Cacertian Military Protectorate of Andria. Much of the Nuadan Ocean made of the Alessandra’s patrol zone and it only seemed like yesterday when they had been scouting the coast of Nalaya during the Nalayan Civil War.

By the very nature of their new mission, the three attack boats currently in commission with the Cacertian Navy not only reported directly to the Grand Admiral, but also were often used by SISMI as a tool for obtaining active intelligence. The increase in military tension in Eracura had piqued the interest of Chief Torano and, as the Alessandra was already passing through the Malian en route home from a patrol in the Thule Sea, Captain Masconi had been ordered to to remain on station.

And here they were now bottomed out in the Malian Sea, acting like nothing more than a hole in the ocean.

They went about business as usual, listening and watching; moving only when it was absolutely clear. While the Cacertians truly had no dog in this fight in Eracura, there would certainly be red flags thrown if any of the involved nations found a Cacertian sub snooping around where it probably shouldn’t be.

Things were quiet and Captain Masconi’s crew was admittedly fatigued after several months at sea. In order to keep their spirits up and their minds on the task at hand, Liviana was going to each compartment with a pot of hot tea in one hand and a stack of styrofoam cups in the other. The Johanna Sarissita-class had a complement of only 65 crew members including herself and it has allowed them to get to know each other quite well. It was hard not to, spending months at a time in a steel tube under the ocean.

Lisa Acardolo was Liviana’s STS, a submersible sonar technician that had been serving aboard the Alessandra for the last four years and had maintained her position as a result of her innate familiarity with the quirks of the sub’s sonar. The Captain spotted Lisa yawn, before pushing up her glasses and gently rubbing the bridge of her nose with the tips of her fingers.

“Perhaps it’s time for you to get some rest,” Liviana said as she gently knocked on the compartment well to grab Lisa’s attention, “or maybe some tea?”

Lisa let out a light, but tired chuckle. “Tea would be nice.” Her pale face was illuminated by the blue and green lights of her sonar console, accentuating the dimples on her cheeks as she made a small and appreciative smile. “I still have another hour or two on this shift before I can rotate out with Silvio, but you know how I feel about that.”

“You should give the boy more credit. It’s his first year, and he did well in Thule.” The Captain expertly poured a cup of tea from her standing position and handed it to her STS. “I think you’re being a little too critical just because you know this boat better.”

Lisa shrugged unapologetically. “Better to be critical than not. Especially in a situation like this.” She returned her attention briefly to the sonar system, placed one of the headphones over one of her ears and made a number of graceful taps on the console. “Technically an active combat zone. Two countries that have a long history of hating each other. Snooping around where we shouldn’t be. If SISMI is asking for it, you know it’s probably shady.”

“Has there been any new activity? Anything different from what we’ve seen?”

“Not particularly.” Lisa responded as she put down the tea and began printing off a number of reports from the last few hours. “Same old stuff. Saw one sub pass by this area, but nothing particularly out of the ordinary. I think things have calmed down since we got that ELF communique about the conference in Syara.”

“Good to hear,” Liviana responded as she took the reports from seated woman, “although I don’t think we can be back in port soon enough.”
Last edited by Cacerta on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Azura and Montemayor
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 02, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Azura and Montemayor » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Revjakoyia Estate
Commonality of Syara

(Co-written with Azurlavai and Ossoria)

The initial meeting of delegates to the summit had gone as Drahoslav had hoped: short and without much fanfare. The Syaran Executive had done his best to flatter the Azuran and Montemayori Emperor, making sure to say how much of an honor it was that the two were finally able to meet. Drahoslav saw through the show, though. In his fourteen years on the throne he had met many dignitaries, many of which had said how much of an honor it was to meet him. Only a handful ever actually meant it, and he had a suspicion that the Syaran Executive may not have been one of those few.

For the past many years Azura and Montemayor had been in opposition of Syaran activities in Aerick, the island off of the western Syaran coast. Azura’s longest ally, Azurlavai, had long laid claim to the island in its entirety, and the Syaran occupation of the eastern half was a sore point between the two nations. Azura and Montemayor had long maintained that it would honor any treaty that it had with Azurlavai if the nation’s government were to call, and the defensive pact that the nations had signed after the Great War was the one that meant the most. Just recently a carrier task force had been sent to the island to reinforce Azurlav naval and land forces. Had Drahoslav been asked a month ago his opinion of the Syarans the questioner would not have gotten a nice answer. However, after the recent agreements that Azurlavai had made with Syara, the Emperor’s mood had begun to shift. He still did not trust the Syaran leadership, nor was he in favor of the summit being held in Syara, but at the moment the nations were on good terms.

While Drahoslav had hoped to go to his room following the greeting, he knew that such a desire was foolish and unrealistic. The negotiations did not start until the following day, meaning that until then there would be several backroom meetings among delegates and leaders hoping to solidify their positions and gain support for their eventual demands. His side, which he considered to be Ossoria and Azurlavai, was no different. The first thing that the Supreme Chairman of Azurlavai did when she entered the room had been to approach him. It came as no surprise to him. The relationship the two had was much better than the relationship either of them had with any other delegate at the summit, and it was not only the nice thing to do, but also a good way for the Azurlav leader to show who her true ally was.

Her greeting and small talk began their short conversation, but the true purpose of the short talk came at the end. The quick confirmation that the two could speak privately after the initial meeting of delegates only took a few seconds, and anyone who had not been listening intently to their conversation would have missed it, especially considering the Syaran Executive had already began his greetings while they were speaking.

It was that reason that Drahoslav found himself currently in one of the several conference rooms that the Syarans promised were private and able to be used by the delegates. The word of the Executive was not something that Drahoslav wished to rely upon though, and he had one of his accompanying security detail go over the room with a radiofrequency detector to check for any small cameras or listening devices that may be planted throughout the room. When the check came back clean and the individual performing the check announced his confidence in the room’s privacy Drahoslav had gone in. He was sure that those he would be meeting may want to perform their own checks, which would only prolong the meeting, but it was important that the coming conversation remain between those in the room.

Monika Shefer did her best to clear the color from her cheeks after Radovan’s compliment. Things has gotten a bit complicated since that day that was supposed to be mere visit, but his speech after had helped get her mind right. Business needed to be done, and Vahlen had informed her one of the Azuran aides gave him notice the Emperor had already set off to find a secure room. Knowing her time had come, she swiftly diverted from the way to her quarters, instead moving through the estate, followed by Vahlen alone. Her Huscarls would go on ahead to her room, giving the impression she was inside, as well as check for bugs.

Vahlen went first, but he need not have bothered. An Imperial agent stopped him just in the door, though relented when Monika showed herself. She strode past, glancing at the conference room for only a moment before she reached a hand out to Drahoslev.

“Majesty,” she said again, with much less fanfare. “Now the real work begins.”

Drahoslav met her outstretched hand with his own, giving a brief shake before withdrawing. “Indeed. We have quite a lot to talk about before the circus begins tomorrow. I believe we are waiting for one more person before we can begin?”

“Queen Tara,” she replied, glancing back involuntarily. “After that, it's down to us to reach out to others. Let’s hope the intel we received on the other interested parties pans out. Won’t mean much if we can’t get Eracura behind us.”

As if on cue, the Ossorian High Queen entered the conference room, flanked by two of her Bloodsworn as she was everywhere outside her estates. She had sent most of her aides to the suites prepared for them, which were also currently in the process of being swept for bugs, and come here to confer with the two leaders she believed to be the most supportive of her Realm’s position in the coming talks.

“Your Majesty, Your Excellency,” she said, nodding to the Emperor and the Chairwoman respectively. “It’s good to see both of you in person, though I wish it were under. . .better circumstances.”

“We all do, Majesty,” Monika replied after a half bow. “But as luck has it, our enemies have at least given us cause to take the final step.”

She glanced to Drahoslav before looking back at the Queen, a grim but determined mask on her face.

“Spirits are high. Tensions too. Did you see Holland out there, acting like this is another ball? I wonder how his wife can stand him.” A pause, as if to consider her comment before she shook it off. “But...we are ready to proceed?”

“Arrogant as always,” Drahoslav agreed. “How she can stand to remain with him is a mystery indeed. And we’re not even taking into consideration his constant flirtatiousness and arguable sexual predation.”

He left the two women and walked around the large conference table to the other end and pulled out one of the wheeled leather chairs that surrounded it. “I think we can begin, I don’t believe that we’re expecting anyone else at the moment.”

Drahoslav was careful not to take the seat at the head of the table. While he doubted either of the accompanying leaders would mind, he felt it inappropriate to be so presumptuous. All three of them were equals in his eyes, none held any more authority than another, and he felt it important to show that whether it was noticed or not.

They took their places, their security agents posting at the entrances, hidden sidearms ready to be drawn.

It was Monika who spoke first, though not out of brashness. She was bold, not foolhardy.

“We know why we’re here. The Empire of Shalum has essentially operated with free reign and no care for too long, but only because they could use Acrean power to bully through. So here is where it ends.”. She glanced between the two sovereigns, determined. “We sign this treaty, there’s no going back. I think we’re all aware of that. I’ve already begun taking measures in Azurlavai to ensure my end of the bargain. The headquarters are ready, and I’ve hand-picked the divisions. All I need is official backing.”

“Per our previous discussions, you know that I would be more than willing to sign a treaty like the one we discussed,” Drahoslav began. “But I would suggest that we not sign or announce the agreement and its effects until after this summit. Such an announcement now would likely damage the peace process.”

The Emperor looked down at the table for a moment before looking back up at the two leaders in front of him. “Although, I could see an argument being made for announcing such a move now. It could give the Acreans more of a reason to agree to peace. I expect it would also knock some of the arrogance out of our Shalumite counterpart.”

“I’d love to see his face when he realizes what he’s facing,” Monika snarked for a moment.

Tara spared a sidelong glance at her erstwhile Azurlav counterpart before speaking, “For my part, I would suggest we keep the news in reserve for the time being. Let us gauge how the negotiations are faring before we commit ourselves to coming out into the open at this particular moment. If things look to not be going our way, we can always reconsider that position soas to present our opposition with a stronger and united front. I’d still rather exhaust all other avenues before taking that route. After all, I somehow doubt that the others would thank us for doing so before they can get it before their respective ratifying bodies.”

“Makes sense,” Monika agreed, rubbing at her chin. “Our little ace play. And if the negotiations still come out well, we can still use the news of the treaty to appear as if all we’re attempting to do is prevent future misunderstandings.” She paused. “Any word from the other prospects? I’m certain they’ll agree to joining, but we can’t be too sure.”

“Silua, I believe, is on board. While it is possible they could back out at the last moment I wouldn’t be too concerned. As for the others who have expressed interest, I’m hesitant to rely on their word alone. It may be worthwhile to make contact with their representatives here before the end of the summit.

Drahoslav smiled before continuing. “And while I do agree it would be amusing to be able to see the constant grin on the Imperator’s face be wiped away, Her Majesty is quite right. When we announce we want to announce with all nations in agreement, and doing so during the summit would make that difficult. We have yet to know how the negotiations will progress. We may be pleasantly surprised, although I doubt the Acreans and Shalumites will cave in to the first round of demands.”

“I see we have found agreement on this then. So, we’ll hold back the announcement. But tell me this; what if things don’t go so well?” Monika shifted uncomfortably in her seat. “I’m hesitant to fire the first shot...but I can’t hold my troops back if an invasion seems imminent. Acrea has already violated the DMZ. Shalum is building up. I need some direction here.”

“I would unfortunately not be able to pledge immediate support to any war effort. I have had to remain somewhat detached from both Azurlavai and Ossoria throughout this whole ordeal, and because of that have been unable to increase troop presence at the border. If the negotiations begin to sour tomorrow, I will order more troops to the border, but it will take time. Ideally the border areas will be reinforced by the announcement of the treaty.” One of Drahoslav’s aides leaned over his shoulder and whispered something in his ear before backing away to the wall as they had been previously. “If you were to equip the Azuran and Montemayori regiments stationed in Azurlavai near the Shalumite border with Azurlav uniforms I could deploy them for any possible fighting without Shalum or Acrea knowing that they are indeed Azurans or Montemayoris.”

“My thanks, Your Majesty,” Monika replied, bowing her head. “Putting those with the joint division already posted there will be a major boon. I’ll order the uniforms sent to the border immediately.”

There were often enough similarities in skin, behavior and language that one could be forgiven for mixing up the people of the two neighboring nations, and such a border deployment would not be illegal at all.

“I’d offer to send support of my own,” Tara said, “but I think it’s obvious to all of us that I need my forces closer to home and on the line in Arzell. It’s not much, but the best I can offer is some of the take from our reconnaissance assets; drones and satellite flyovers mostly.”

At this point however, Monika scratched at some invisible spot on the table. “So we wait. I suppose it makes sense given the situation. I already have my generals stood down to Alert 2. So let’s...save Eracura, I suppose? Gods, that sounded contrived.”

Though the three leaders had no grudge with each other, circumstances had forced them together. They were odd bedfellows, to be sure.

“If only it didn’t require us to save it,” Drahoslav commented. “Things have the potential to be much better, but it will take work on all of our parts.”

Mubata
Attaché

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mubata » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:28 am

The following post was done jointly with the help of Azurlavai, Shalum and the approval of Syara.

As the Yolenga Crisis develops further, it will likely warrant its own thread as it surpasses the timeline of the Arzell Crisis. Those in Tyran that may be interested in participation are welcome to do so, with certain caveats and IC practical concerns. Feel free to contact me about it.

Pevnost Prison
Abyad, Yolenga

Wakuda waited in the same room he’d had the confrontation with the first Azurlav. He had some inclination that his provocations would cause a stir in the merchant boat captain, but not to the violent degree they had or that it would be that difficult to reign him back in, having to knock him out in the process. He had plenty of experience of interrogating prisoners, but most often they were intimidated into meek puddles before a session even began, knowing the reach and almost unbridled power that D57 wielded.

Perhaps it was a matter that most Azurlavaians had little to no knowledge or experience with Directorate 57 with which to temper their reactions. Likewise, Wakuda had no real in depth knowledge of the NSB, the Azurlavaian intelligence/security agency, seeing as he had never been assigned to an Eracuran section (sub-directorate). But he had some idea through short briefs and reports, in preparation for these interrogations. The NSB didn’t have the reputation of D57, but any clandestine service was capable of accomplishing the tasks that most governmental agencies saw as beyond normal legal reach, so they couldn’t totally be underestimated.

The Azurlav ignorance of D57 would soon correct itself as these foreigners learned the power and brutality of the Mubatan state security, and if they did happen to be released, that reputation would be spread to their homeland and further reinforced around Tyran that D57 alone was the long arm of the Republic not to be trifled with.

This time, he was no longer meditating on the stone bench as he had before, but pacing. They had brought in another chair to replace the one that had gotten splattered with Brustad’s blood, and the floor had been scrubbed. He waited for the second in command of the Narvahl to be brought into the room from his cell. This time, they wouldn’t take chances and the prisoner would be chained to the chair and bound, instead of having free reign of the room.

The first mate wasn’t quite as stoic as his kaptein. Unlike Brustad, Klause Heikkinen had no service under his belt, though he’d once been part of a smuggler crew that had gone belly up when the ISK had caught up to them. Scared honest, he’d signed on with the merchant fleets, and now he’d been hauled in by something far worse than pirates. Pirates would just steal your cargo and hold you ransom. This was even worse.

As he was led to the interrogation cell, he cursed and struggled in his native tongue, even if he realized it wasn’t going to do much. He had to at least make it look like he was trying to get away.

Up until he was plopped down at the table, he’d been keeping up a steady stream of curses and insults, confident in the fact that they couldn’t understand him. But this was cut as he turned towards the man before him, and his tongue fell silent. He may never had served, but he could tell an intelligence officer when he saw one, and this man pacing the room most likely understood him.

A clack sounded out, and Klause suddenly realized manacles had been snapped around his wrists. He thrashed, but too late as he realized the restraints were secure, locking him in place. No escape. Klause was a big man, made lean and muscular by a life of crime and out on the sea hauling crates, but even Thor might have trouble breaking these chains. The first mate’s arms bulged, covered in sleeve tattoos (gang signs and emblems of the sea such as kraken and Jormungandr and sirens), and he finally gave up, exhaling harshly to blow his long blonde hair out of his face.

“So...who the Hel are you? What do you want?”

Wakuda smiled as he walked closer to the Azurlav merchantman. This would go easier than the first interrogation of Captain Brustad, no matter what path he had to take, he had time without being pushed towards a course of action he wasn’t ready for. Leaving Brustad unshackled had been a regrettable bit of arrogance on his part, thinking that a civilian foreigner captain couldn’t possibly have audacity to approach him, let alone harm him.

“From your papers we found, you are...Klause Hika...Hikanen? The first mate of your boat, Yes?”

“S’right,” Klause slurred, leaning back as much as he could. “It's pronounced Hey-kennen, y’know.”

He smirked, acting a lot braver than he felt. He’d seen spooks before, and this guy definitely fit the image. Neat suit, all-knowing demeanor. Last time, the ISK interrogation had broken a few of his ribs and set him loose after they’d gotten what they needed out of him.

“Good…” He moved towards the other corner of the room. “Excellent. So, I will be forthright with you. Your Captain told us all we needed to know, but as our procedures demand, I must corroborate your crew’s story with you. Why don’t you start with your purpose here in our waters?”

Purpose? What, were they trying to finger them for something? He shrugged, grunting.

“Not much to tell. The sea routes follow the channels. We had some cargo coming north, offloading for contract in Tritonsberg. Raw materials from Nalaya. URA on a sympathy trip ever since the Stormtroopers shot up that square.” He glanced at the wall, wondering which one might be a one-way. Who was watching, recording, accusing? Authority always made him nervous, for multiple reasons.

“We uh...we were warned Mubata had threatened to seize vessels by the kompanie. Said to proceed in at our own risk, but the kaptein didn’t want to detour. Said we’d have some severe delays, and he’s always trusted in the Krigsmarine.”

Wakuda rubbed at his chin and continued to pace. He made a slightly annoyed sound.
“I’m sorry. That doesn’t really...vibe with the story we’ve heard. I’d like to hear more about the espionage operations some of your crew were operating off the ship. Can you elaborate on that?”

“Espi-what?” Klause chuckled, thinking it some sort of joke, glancing at the wall he was certain was see through. That’s what this had to be, right? They were having fun with their prisoners because they’d have to turn them back over. But then he saw the look on the spook’s face, and knew this was no joke.

Wakuda stopped short in his pacing and gave an exaggerated expression.
“Spying, Mr. Heikkinen. Lurking. Peeking into the business of the Republic. Stealing information that was not yours to take and reporting back to your superiors back in Lowellsburg. Jeopardizing the security of the Republic of Mubata for the gain of Azurlavai. Do you understand? We are well aware of what you were up to, we just need you to confirm it, as I said. Your cooperation will make things go much easier for you.”

“Are you...what? C’mon, the kaptein didn’t even let anyone ashore. We never stopped. Espionage. Pfft. This bunch of miscreants wouldn’t even know who to talk to, or where to go. Look, you want someone who -was- doing illegal stuff, talk to Gjalle. Rina Gjalle. She snuck a few things onboard last time were in Azura, never saw what she’d gotten and it definitely wasn’t cargo. Pretty sure she snuck something on she wasn’t supposed to have, y’know?”

Wakuda chuckled under his breath. “I’m not all that concerned with what happened in Azura…” He absolutely was very interested. Rina Gjalle would be next on the list to be hauled into this room. It wasn’t too surprising that one such as Heikkinen would throw a fellow crew member to the wolves, whether she was guilty of something or not. It was typical of his ilk. Other waves flashed over him. That they might very well have caught a real spy in their attempt to pin something on the Azurlavaians wasn’t a complete shock, but it was still invigorating all the same. It made him almost giddy. He still needed to finish out this interrogation.
“...Tell me, Heikkinen. Has this woman...Gjalle? Has she done anything else suspicious on your voyage?”

Finally, a chance he might be able to wriggle out of this. Brustad had hired him for his skills after all, not his virtues. He hadn’t got this far in life without selling a few friends out.

“It’s my job to keep the crew in line, but yeah. Rina wasn’t really out and about much. Aside from work, she kept to herself a lot. Didn’t really talk to anyone much after she got whatever it was either. Didn’t even come to get drunk anymore. So it was kinda frustrating, since its my job to know where she is. Always made me hunt for her.”

Only a slight exaggeration. He didn’t mention that he always found her in the end, and she was never technically where she wasn’t supposed to be, whether it was in her quarters or one of the rooms set aside for crew lounging and whatnot. Only once or twice had he found her in the cargo area, and she never known he was there when he had. He hadn’t pounced on her for it. He might have tried to take advantage of her, if he wasn’t sure she had a pocket pistol on her at all times.

Wakuda paced slower, almost dragging his feet. He couldn’t wrap his mind around if this man was trying to play him, or the prisoner was easily played himself. Such moments were always a fine line, and sometimes it was a bit of both. There was serious doubt that the D57 interrogator could be this lucky, but he also couldn’t pass up this gift if it was what it was.
“That is….fascinating. Was there anything else that she was doing during your voyage that was...odd? That gave you pause...er, made you wonder?”

“Eh, what can I say? She didn’t really like me much. Can’t imagine why. Anyway, she’s kind of a bitch. Worships Frigga instead of Freya. Dumbass.”

Of course, that’s because Klause knew Rina Gjalle was a single mother, with a daughter back home in Standaktig. But why give the spook everything? Might as well make the sick bastard work for it.

Wakunda smiled big. Theology was a popular topic for him.
“Yes, of course. Your Norse gods. Us Mubatans don’t go in for all that Christian claptrap either. We worship Sango, Olokun, and Orunmila, among many of our powerful gods. Some...Some are still talking about Allah, but that is changing. We’re forcing that change. Well, I think we have enough then for today.”

The first mate grunted, shrugging as much as he could. “You say so.”

Wakuda caught the hardened gaze of the two MPs who had not left the room. They had been denied their bloodlust as Wakuda had an almost jovial conversation with the Azurlav first mate. They were truly unhappy with him at this moment. As he moved past the eyeline of the Azurlavaian, he nodded and waved an acquiescent hand to the sergeant, who smiled back.

The sergeant reeled back and hit the back of Heikkinen’s head with full force, rocking the chair up on to its front two legs. Wakuda winced, sorry it had to come to that despite how cooperative a subject that the first mate had been, but a certain level of fear had to be maintained in the Pevnost.

Klause was out like a light, blood spraying from between his teeth. For all his bluster and bluffing, in the end the first mate didn’t shore up to his kaptein in multiple areas.

Wakuda nodded. He motioned for the guards to drag the unconscious Azurlav man back to his cell. The D57 interrogator didn’t need a break. The woman who was put into doubt by her own crewmate would be next.
“Bring me the woman, Rina Gjalle.”

Zlacova, Pribgot District
Syara

Kommandsersjant Oleg Hvitson was, like all men of his station, a career soldier. He hadn’t wanted to be at first, though. Originally, he’d studied at technical school, but his grades hadn’t made the cut, so he had instead applied for the Korps of Engineers, where his previous practical applications with technology made him quite a demolitions expert. After two tours, the draw of combat had buried under his skin like a bad itch, and he’d applied to the Fallskermjeger in an attempt to marry his skill with his ability. It was here where he’d caught the eye of an SKO recruiter looking for potential candidates, and though Hvitson had failed the first go round because of the temperance test under duress, the kommando had seen something in him, and brought the engineer into the fold. Now, five years later, Hvitson was a team leader in his own stride, and with Team 32 under his command they had already deployed on dozens of ops in service to the URA.

Hvitson hopped off the Commonality army truck, turning and thumping on the door twice as he stepped past, calling out “Puno hvala!” The soldier behind the wheel just glared at him before slamming the door shut and driving away, the back loaded with more soldiers and supplies, all of them glaring at Leiemorder as each operator dismounted. The soldiers were, not the supplies.

“Jag-ohf,” said Sersjant Harri Vanhato, waving at the departing truck with a one fingered salute. Behind them, more Commonality vehicles honked, shouts in Syaran being thrown down at them as soldiers defended their comrade. Vanhato turned to Hvitson, shrugging dramatically. “What’s their deal?”

“Harri,” said a voice nearby, a massive arm lunging down around the smaller man’s neck and flexing powerfully. “We’re here to avert war, not start another one.” Vanhato threw off Oversersjant Mona Dalgaard’s arm, though in all honesty that was probably because she allowed it. Vanhato was former border control, who had gotten the SKO’s attention by rigging half a dozen systems to his tablet as well as deploying his own secondary sensor net, which helped catch an entire Maldorian slave operation in transition over the border. Though the thought had originally been to elevate him to Luftstyrke Special Forces, after examining his physical scores, another SKO recruiter had merely called Vanhato lazy and unmotivated.

He was no longer unmotivated, and had for the past year put his technical skills to use in cracking that latest of security frontiers in warfare. The use of technical experts like this in the field was becoming more and more essential, and so long as Vanhato was around, Leiemorder team was practically invisible to electronic observation.

Dalgaard was old fashioned military. Whereas Vanhato had been selected straight up for his ability, Dalgaard’s time in the Stormtroopers had hardened her into a dedicated killer with an urge to go far. Her first application had actually been turned away because she was -too- aggressive, lacking the control and discipline needed to be an operator. By her second application, she’d actually cooled off quite a bit. Iron Island had eased her back a bit, making her the newest member of Leiemorder.

Stabssersjant Børge Engen was already up ahead, talking to a very ordinary looking man, a Syaran local in a military dress uniform of unknown branch. In fact, he looked a little -too- ordinary. As Team 32 approached, Engen turned to the group, cigarette already perched between his lips. Engen was another lifer, possibly the oldest in the group, on the verge of retirement. His service had seen him through dozens of ops, and he’d always refused promotion so he could continue field operations.

“Top,” Hvitson nodded to Engen, glancing at their Syaran host. “And you are?”

“Dmitri,” the slight man replied. “The one who is currently going to help you get onto that island.”

Hours Later
Declared Territorial Waters of the Republic of Mubata
Off the Coast of Yolenga

Dmitri and the Syaran military had kept to their word. As the submarine pulled away (her name had never been revealed to Leiemorder so as to ensure the Commonality could never be implicated), the team soared across the surface of the sea. The waters, warm as blood to the norsemen, cut past them in the gloom, their inflatable’s rubber sides battered by the sea spray. Hvitson took the engine throttle, watching as the shoreline soared towards them. Engen was triple checking Dalgaard’s equipment, the tight space making it impossible for her to turn around. Vanhato, meanwhile, was on a military tablet, double-checking the stream of information coming in to Team 32. It was a situation they’d trained for a hundred times, and the team had yet to come down from their tension and readiness from in Syara.

So far as Dmitri had told him, the NSB had scrambled to address the vacuum in Mubata and countering D57, who until now had been assigned to monitoring by only a small team, whereas countering Commonality intel and the Imperial STG had been priority. Now, however, the NSB had struck gold. Anti-Fazembe fighters on Yolenga were willing to assist the extraction in return for...well, that part Dmitri hadn’t been privy to, and Hvitson wasn’t going to ask either.

Team 32’s inflatable boat careened towards the beach, and it wasn’t long before they finally came to where Dmitri had told them would be where they’d receive the signal from. Dalgaard glanced back, and Hvitson nodded, at which point she reached up, turning on the IR flasher attached to her helmet. The resistance’s available optics weren’t advanced, but they apparently still had one set of NVGs. Supposedly, the NSB had told the militia to flash a set of headlights twice as a signal.

He began scanning the coast.

12km south of
Wadi Madani,
Western Yolenga

The small panel truck moved slowly as he tried to find the gap in the underbrush that would signify his stop.
Zuhir Al Malif was a good man. A man who had lived a life both simple and in turns complex. Like the majority of the island population, his tribe, the Rakib, was Mansuriyyan in origin, but he’d lived his whole life on this island. From what he’d been told, life on Yulanji, or Yolenga, as the Mubatans insisted on calling it, was quite different from life on the mainland.

For one thing, the Mubatans had ruled over the Island for decades, having seized it from the Mansuriyyans during the war they called the Vita Kubwa in 1981-82. They were very inconsistent rulers since, giving both a soft touch, and an iron fist at various times when they thought it would help in retaining control. The few small rebellions had been crushed with force, and more Mubatan troops had been moved to the Island over the years. The northern two thirds were heavily garrisoned while the southern third was left to the Nalayan militias, but for occasional Mubatan military patrols that were careful to give a wide berth to the villages by agreement.
The Hyena special operation forces scoured the hills and jungle for resistance bands and wiped them out mercilessly when they found them. Areas like where the two men in the truck were, near the divide between the ethnic Mansuri and Nalayan territory, were sporadically patrolled as it fell into a gray area.

The resistance had become passive, but no less fervent in their desire to see the end of Fazembe rule over the Island. Defiance was now defined by small acts of sabotage and non-compliance. Still, response was sometimes like a hammer to a flea.
After one such instance of suspected sabotage, Zuhir’s neighbor and friend, Ali, had been shot down in the street by soldiers. No trial. No questioning. Just a rumor from an unreliable informant and Ali’s brains were splattered onto the cobblestones.

It had been that instance that had persuaded Zuhir, a simple tea plantation worker, to join the resistance. Tea harvester by day, resister by night.

He braked the truck as he saw the wisp of fabric flapping from where it was tucked into a slit in a broad frond. The door clicked shut and there was Tabi, his contact and dare he say, friend?
The man’s dark skin picked up the faint reflections of the dashboard.
“Turn around and pick up the speed. You’re going to draw attention from someone creeping this slow.”

It was well known that most of the Mubatans on Yolenga didn’t want to be ruled from the mainland as much as his people, the Rakib, the Shammar, or any other ethnicities on the island you could care to name. They all suffered equally under the Fazembes, and their puppet Governor, Hamad Al Sidri, a Shammari who was considered a huge traitor to his people. On both sides of the Island, many Zama, Tizi, Rakib, Shammar, and other Mansuri and Mubatan tribal folk and even a few Nalayan ethnics worked together to eventually throw off the rule of the Republic. Unlike the Mubatan Freedom Movement, which was the main Marxist group and primary resistance to the Fazembe regime in Mubata, the local Yolenga resistance was a loose collective of the several ideologies of those groups, tied together by a mutual hatred of Karalaga, and Al Sidri in Abyad. More often their ideology was simply eventual freedom from the oppressive regime. That being said, they maintained loose connections with the MFM in their mutual fight, and any backchannel communications

Like several of his Zama people, Tabi’s family had been refugees from the mainland, fleeing retribution due to their MFM connections.
They had been smuggled in, joining the growing number of illegals on the Island. The police did not often go after them, as they got rich off the payouts from the smuggling trade that flourished on boats that fished only half the year. The mainland illegals ran this vital service for the black market, that also incidentally benefitted the resistance.

Tabi motioned downward with his hand at the nervous Zuhir.
“Okay. Okay. Not that fast. We can’t afford to get pulled over now.”

“Where are we going?”

“Just drive and I’ll tell you when to stop. Haven’t you learned by now to not ask so many questions?”

Zuhir sighed and rolled his eyes. He continued to push on, further south of Wadi Madani.
Tabi watched his phone, then waved excitedly as the dot got to the juncture he was expecting.
“This is it! Slow down, there will be a road at any moment, take a right on it.”

“Tabi, I know this area. There’s nothing but sand trails to the beaches. This truck will get stuck.”

“Idiot! I know what I’m doing. There’s a hard packed dirt road…”

“Where?”

Tabi pointed as he smiled,
“There! Make the turn.”

“I’m turning, I’m turning.”

“Slow down, Zuhir.”

“I thought you wanted me to maintain speed.”

“We’re off the main road now. They won’t see us. Listen, slow down. Stop a moment.”
He worked on burying his frustration with the younger man. Zuhir had little experience with doing this kind of clandestine work and with few details of the bigger picture, he wasn’t able to put the pieces together and act intuitively. It couldn’t be helped. Knowing or not knowing such information meant life or death, for more than just the person invested with that information.

Zuhir coasted the truck to a stop.
“What is it?”

“Listen. We’re about to pick up some more people and no matter what you see and hear, I don’t want you to say a word, even to other Almuqawama (Members of the Yolengan Resistance).”

“What kind of people?”

“There you go with the questions again. People. You know...For smuggling operations. No more questions. I just need you to do as I ask and trust me, yes?”

“Ah, I see. Yes, I trust you. I just don’t understand what’s going on.” Zuhir didn’t add that he hoped it was worth losing sleep, because he had to be up early for work in a few hours. It was times like this that he questioned his reasoning for joining the Almuqawama.

Finally, Tabi motioned to him to continue. They cruised to the end of the dirt road, winding around as they got as close as they could to the beach. The truck had a clear view out to the water, on a promontory that Tabi had directed him towards where it just poked through the large underbrush and trees. When they stopped, Zuhir killed the engine. Tabi grabbed the torch from the glovebox and then pulled out the knapsack he had stowed between his legs under the seat. He gingerly took out what looked like science fiction robot eyes. (Zuhir had never before seen night vision goggles.) The dark Zama man then opened the door carefully, cringing as the hinges creaked. His voice had lowered with every minute they got closer to the beach.
“When I flash this up at you…” He held up the electric torch. “...You need to flash the headlights on the truck twice. Understand?”

“Yes, effendi.” He whispered back in the same tone to Tabi, using the honorific to show his attention to the man who was his cell leader.

“I mean right away! No hesitation!”

“I understand.”

“Good...One more thing. I’m headed down. After the headlights, I need you to get out and open up the back of the truck quickly. Then, get back in the cab. When I flash the torch again, you need to start up the engine and be ready to move. Clear?”

“Yes, effendi.”

“Good. I need you to move quickly. You are a good man, Zuhir. You will make your family proud. This will be over in no time.”

Tabi walked down the trail towards the beach. He nestled himself into the spot that he had scouted out numerous previous visits, when he was monitoring patrols. It seemed like he had scouted out every centimeter of this beach, both with fellow Almuqawama, and with the smugglers that they did, in fact, work with on numerous occasions. He knew the tides, he knew the soft and hard packed soil, and he knew when patrols usually trolled through.

He settled into the reeds and stifled a yawn.
It had been a long day. Unlike Zuhir, Tabi didn’t have a documented day job, but he still kept very busy. He had various dealings in the cafes of Abyad and Umm Shanqa with smuggling contacts, contacts with other members of the cell, and reports to make to this superiors higher up in the organization. Very rarely was there excitement, because excitement meant sabotage, and sabotage meant reprisal, and reprisal meant death to some citizens of Yolenga. While many were dedicated to the cause of the Almuqawama, few were actually willing to pay the price in their family’s blood. He blinked several times, then, while keeping his eyes on the surf horizon, he began to pinch himself on his arms, legs, even below his crotch line. Anything to stay alert.
The NVGs were on and scanning. They had saved precious battery power for this moment.

Then he saw it. First, he was convinced it was the waves playing tricks on his eyes. But no, it was the signal, sent with IR flashes. He scrambled, anxiety almost causing him to flip the torch away, but he caught it. He then turned the lens side towards where Zuhir would be waiting for the truck and flashed it towards him. He waited a beat.
Did Zuhir leave? Did he fall asleep? Was he fiddling with something inside the truck and looking down when the beam hit the windshield?

The headlights flashed. Twice. The young Mansuri lad had come through and done as asked.

“There!” called Engen, and Hvtison immediately swiveled towards the spot on the coast where they’d seen the headlights flash. They had a heading, and it didn’t take long before they’d closed in on the beach.

Within minutes, the foam around them was clearly the shorter, foamier surf of waves breaking on the shore, and the raft began to bob even more violently as they finally cut into the shadows. Dalgaard slipped over the side, falling heavily into the surf, J29K LMG scanning the shore as the water came up to her chest. Seeing the area was clear, she grabbed the inflatable with one hand and tugged, heading for the beach as she went. Seconds later, Engen hopped down and took the other side, pulling the raft up onto the beach before the other two dismounted as well, tugging a camouflage tarp over the top, continually scanning their surroundings.

“Contact!” Vanhato hissed, prompting the rest of the team to swivel in a heartbeat, though after a moment Hvitson reached over, stepping in front of the rest of the team and gently pushing the techie’s weapon down.

“Ease off. We’re expecting this one.”

Tabi walked out of the reeds slowly, putting his hands up where they could be clearly seen. He dropped the electric torch in the sand, in a lighter patch where he could see it easily enough, then walked towards the surf, hands still raised.
“Linnunpesä” He spoke when he was near enough to be heard over the waves. His mouth had a little trouble pronouncing the foreign word that was their safety code word, but he had practiced it enough to where it was understandable. He hoped.

They didn’t shoot him, so his pronunciation must have been close. That and they were very well trained.
“I am Tabi.” They continued to struggle with the raft, so he pitched in to help drag it up the beach. “We must carry it over to a cave in that cove over there…” He indicated with his head. It was a few meters up the beach, but these foreign men...and women...all seemed very capable to get it there quickly.
We can nestle it in there until my people can get it later today. The patrols to the beach don’t bother to check the cave very often, if at all.”

It was an obvious oversight he’d noticed on observing the patrols, and it was why this was a popular smuggler’s cove. In fact, there was a good chance that some or all of the local police and soldiers were paid off.
The plan was to put the raft back out at sea and haul it aboard a fishing trawler that a friendly band of smugglers used. They would be well paid to dispose of it permanently. The fall back was to bring the truck back for it, but they were already taking supreme risk tonight in shuttling around a band of foreign commandos through possible surprise checkpoints.

Needless to say, Leiemorder hustled the inflatable up the sands, following the native swiftly as they went. For a team of operators, this was the kind of action they had endlessly drilled, and Team 32 easily kept up all the way to the cove designated up the beach, which NSB had designated was a likely place for their contact to pull the raft. They needed to stow the inflatable if an emergency exfil was needed, but they’d need to find do another way to get the hostages home. If they couldn't, the RMF Valkøy II and her escorts stood outside the island's radar zone, ready to send them an extraction. But that would likely be a bloodbath.

Tabi pointed to the entrance, that was partially obscured by a jumble of boulders which had fallen from the roof of the cave.
“Just a small hurdle to lift it over, but apparently that is enough for the military patrols to discount it as a cave offering safety. The rocks are easily forded. We will put the word out to the other smuggler gangs that we have reserved it for our own enterprise.”

The task of hauling the inflatable in was not a huge one for the SKO troopers. During training they’d carried logs above their heads chest high in freezing water, and the rubble was no obstacle to them. On the other side, the cave opened up, revealing several platforms and storage areas, a handful of crates stacked in dry areas and a handful of rowboats.

On their way back out, leaving the beach area, Hvitson turned back to Tabi and asked “How often do your people run into patrols? Are we in danger of intercept on the road back?”

Leiemorder was not set for a full battle. They had no true heavy weapons, none of them wore more protection than a vest and a lightweight helmet and their supplies were intended for a raid, not a firefight. Engaging enemy patrols was not in their mission statement. Team 19 and Team 4 were waiting out in the water, making sure things were clear before the whole force landed, but Hvitson would rather not fight his way across the island, upon which the fair skinned Azurlavs would stick out like snow in the desert.

Tabi held up a finger for pause, then began to signal up to Zuhir to start the truck with his electric torch, fetched from where he’d set it aside. He then walked back to the Azurlav commando leader, Hvitson.

“The patrols are...to be honest, much thicker since the capture of the boat. We need to get off the beach soon. I am fairly confident that I can talk us through any checkpoints that may be set up. That being said, the later it gets, the more tenuous that is...We need to get you all to the safehouse in town soonest. Also, I was expecting a bigger group from what I was told. Oh well. I hope you can fight off 40 times your number.”

“It's what we do best,” Hvitson replied, patting the suppressed carbine across his chest. “We’re the initial recon group. I’ll signal the others, they’ll make their way ashore now that we know this landings good. And then, Mister Tabi: you’ll see a good time.”

Maybe leave out the warships and Stormtroopers waiting just offshore…

“Ah...Well then. They should still fit in the truck. It will just be a bit of a tight squeeze. They need to get into shore very soon, however. Our window is closing here. Another patrol is coming up soon. That will not be such a good time. If you’ll excuse me, I need to tell my compatriot to turn the truck engine off again while we wait.”

“Not long, Friend” Hvitson replied, checking his wristwatch. “We’re good at our jobs.”
With stealth no longer an issue, Teams 19 and 4 assaulted the beach like marines, surging up the beach within fifteen minutes to join their comrades and hopefully keep the operation moving. The timetable on this operation was limited already, and they didn’t need to cut it any further.

Tabi had signaled up to Zuhir to start the truck again once they got the last raft into the cave. They headed up to the truck. The Mubatan motioned to the back as he opened the latch to the double doors.
“Quickly! Hurry! We don’t have much time. We will need to get through at least one checkpoint on our way into Abyad to the safe house.” It was actually a warehouse owned by one of the leaders of the Almuqawama. When he had heard the size of the raiding force the previous day, he knew that the original safe house, a small flat nearer to the prison, would not do. They had to trade distance for space.
“We have...23 minutes...until a shift change. Then it will be soldiers I don’t know and are not susceptible to bribes.”
Actually, like most Mubatan soldiers, they would likely take the bribe, but not actually reciprocate to Tabi’s wishes to not search the truck. It took time to build up that kind of rapport with the soldiers. He watched the Azurlav commandos hop in, helping each other up into the back.
Then he headed to the front to jump in the cab with Zuhir. When they heard the pounding on the back wall of the cab he prompted Zuhir.
“Let’s go.”

They didn’t move.

“What’s the matter? Let’s go!”

Zuhir was frozen solid, his limbs at his side instead of grabbing the wheel. He looked pale as he turned to Tabi, which is when the older, darker man realized he was actually trembling a bit and not completely stiff.
“Those are foreign men. Military men. You have brought an invasion.”

“A dozen or so men is hardly an invasion force, Zuhir. We don’t have time for this. Put it in gear and go. Now!”

“They’ll kill us!”

“I will kill you if you don’t fucking get this truck fucking moving! If we stay...We die. The Mubatan Army soldiers will find us, insist on searching us and bring in a lot of firepower when we protest. If we move, we might have a chance at life. Now FUCKING MOVE!”

Finally, the young Mansuri had the truck in gear and was slowly applying pressure to the gas pedal as he swung it around and worked the gear shift.
“W-w-where?”

“Abyad! Idiot! Back towards home. I will give you directions when we get to the city.”
Tabi had never berated Zuhir like this before, but it was helping to snap him out of his panicked state. Zuhir had also never defied the orders of the cell leader, so he felt very justified in turning up the pressure and putting the fire under his native comrade.

They picked up speed and were soon zooming towards the first and hopefully only checkpoint before disappearing into Abyad.

Revjakoyia Estate,
Commonality of Syara

“Minister Zabejukwa,” Executive Radovan Kostović said, offering the Mubatan a handshake and a polite smile, “I’m glad to see you here. I hope things are well down south?”

Zabejukwa nodded as diplomatic experience processed the approach. That was all they could expect right now. A very neutral, general but friendly greeting. It didn’t fully clarify the state of their alliance in light of current events, but it was enough to confirm the Mubatans weren’t complete pariahs. He hadn’t avoided them and he hadn’t recoiled in horror, retreating to the other side of the room. If the Syaran leader had anything to say about the recent escapades of the Mubatan military in an ill attempt to support their Shalumite allies, it would be said behind closed doors.

“Yes, Things are well...enough. Thank you for asking, Execuitve Kostović. We are glad to see you, as well, although we wish it was under better circumstances. We value yours and your nation’s friendship and look forward to speaking with you further.”

The Mubatans moved into the room as the others greeted the Syaran leader. They continued to look for a safe haven in the room, apprehensively sifting through the other delegations that were filing in. They were simply at a loss as to where to stand, as much as they were in where they stood figuratively. Minister Zabejukwa spotted the Shalumites, including the Imperator himself, and moved towards them. His deputy, the two ambassadors to Ossoria and Shalum, and the Brigadier attached to them by the General Staff to tackle military matters, all followed behind. They all bowed in the presence of the Imperator.
“Imperator Holland. It is our honor to be in your presence. I am not sure if you remember meeting me your last time in Karalaga? Minister Thabani Zabejukwa, from the Republic’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It’s a pleasure to see you again, your highness.”

Tyler had spent his time making his rounds. For the most part, it was people he was friendly with, but even he had to man up and say hello to the rulers of nations that didn’t view the Empire so highly. Thankfully he had secondaries who were much better at working the crowd, and he wasn’t about to step on their toes. Having seen his approaching allies, the Imperator relaxed a bit and began to walk towards them, meeting them somewhere in the middle. A pair of his own bodyguards lingered somewhere nearby, politely outside of hearing range.

“Of course I remember you, Minister.” For better or worse, the Imperator had an excellent memory. It was as if their meeting in Karalaga had been yesterday. That being said, he still couldn’t pronounce the man’s last name to save his life, and he didn’t dare make a fool of himself in front of so many others. “It is good to see you again. I wish we were meeting under better circumstances.” The Imperator added with a bow of his own. “How fares your great nation?”

The Minister nodded. “Well, yes, it is good to see you again as well, your Highness. I will be honest, if you hadn’t been briefed, things are…” He paused as he chose his next words carefully. “Not optimal for the Republic at the moment. The President stands steadfastly beside you, but his speech may have been...misinterpreted by some eager officers in the navy.”
He was now off Papa Lini’s message with that remark, but he knew the Imperator would understand, and hopefully not report him back to the President.
“Now we are dealing with our own complicated crisis down by Yolenga Island because of it. We have seized an Azurlav vessel. You have so much more to worry about, so I won’t bog you down with the details, other than to say, we may be delayed in getting Mubatan support to Arzell, should these negotiations fail.”

Someone had brought the Imperator a bottle of water by this point. He took his sweet time to uncap and take a long sip of the cold drink. When he lowered it, finally, his lips were drawn into a thin line. “Rest assured, I have been briefed on the matter, both by your and my own people.” He wasn’t going to ever admit that he had people spying on his allies, but the truth was that he did. The STG kept tabs on everyone, even those like the Mubatans who they trusted. “I must admit, to you, that it is a right mess. I hope it is resolved without issue. The last thing I need is Chairwoman Schefer on my ass again,” he noted dryly as he shot the Azurlav woman a look from across the room. “The Empire will hold until help arrives, as we have done before. Hopefully, though, we will not need it.”

The Imperator took another drink. “So, between you and I, what are the chances of this going well? Personally, I’m not going to put too much stock in it, but there is room for surprises yet.”

The Minister frowned. “Yes, there is always room for that. Our relations have soured of course, more than they were, but we hope we can bring some peaceful resolution to the matter and settle up with the Azurlavaians. If not here, then with a specially planned separate summit. We planned this delegation before that episode, so unfortunately, my best experts on the Azurlavaians are not with us. I am getting electronic updates and files, so I must do my best and put out this fire as per my job. First and foremost, our job is to be here in support of you and your Empire, but should we be able to solve both crises, so much the better...Or did you just mean your negotiations with the Ossorians?”

“I believe that an ‘all of the above’ answer would likely be the most appropriate.” The Imperator replied after a few moments, rubbing at the condensation that had gathered on his bottle. “Relations have never been great with Azurlavai, but I think it is safe to say that your nation and mine have both hit an all-time low with them these last few weeks.” He smiled, but it lacked humor. “I really do love the UEN, but they don’t seem to love us nearly as much, unfortunately. It makes the meetings, which are supposed to encourage cooperation and reduce tensions, unproductive more often than not. If you wish to resolve the issue with the Azzies, I will do everything in my power to help you. The sooner it is handled, the better. I have the feeling that they will want a separate, special event for it. That way they can get in front of the world stage and hold undivided attention. Now we just have to hope that Monika will listen to us, eh?”

The Minister nodded.
“Those are wise words, Imperator, and I will defer to your lead on such matters. First and foremost, as I said, we are here to back you and your Empire and strive for peace on your terms. Second, if we can bring some clarity and resolution to the situation in the southern Nuadan, in addition, during our time here - Well, all the better.”

“It is much appreciated.” The Imperator nodded slightly and smiled. While the Mubatans were not a big ally in the same way that his Soviet ones were, they were still a very much important piece in the puzzle that was international politics. Some of their people proved to be unpredictable, such as seizing that Azurlav vessel, but that could have happened anywhere. “The more people that are in our corner, the better. I doubt this will be an especially confrontational meeting, but if it is I’ll be sure to look for you. “I hope that things smooth themselves out. I don’t want conflict, despite what some may think. There are certainly warhawks in my country, but they haven’t served like I have. War isn’t...war isn’t easy on anyone. I am sure you know this just as well as I do, Minister Zabejukwa.”

“I do indeed. I also served my country at the very young tender age of 17 during what we call the Vita Kubra, when the Mansuris invaded in 1981. It was an extremely terrible time and I don’t wish for any nation to go through what we did. So, I hope that we can bring resolution to this Arzell conflict and not see things escalate further. As for our situation further south, it may be an insurmountable hill to climb as the situation becomes more unpredictable by the minute. I certainly have my work cut out for me there, your highness.”

Tyler nodded in understanding, even as he felt a pang in his chest. While the Empire hadn’t been active down south during that time, at least to the extent they were now, things were changing. They had given the Mansuris a good deal of the money in order to secure coastal land, which they had developed into thriving communities for the nobility. It was nothing compared to what they’d sunk in Mubata, but the goal was the same - brining another country into Shalum’s fold.

“No nation needs to go through such a thing. War is by no means preferable.” It was the truth, but that didn’t mean that there were members of his government who thought otherwise. The Azzies had been a pain in their side for some time. “If there is anything my government can do for yours, please let us know. I personally fear that this is just the beginning of something bigger,” he sighed quietly. “I hope I am proven wrong in that regard.”

Zabejukwa bowed, realizing that the Imperator was closing the conversation, which was fine as there was little more that could be added.
“That is very gracious, you highness. We also hope that you are proven wrong and that the matter will be put to rest. I hope that we can connect again at some point here in Corchia and we will be sure to stay close by for moral support.”
The Mubatan minister was already scanning the room for others that he could approach in order to try to salvage relations with the region.

Karalaga, Capital District
Republic of Mubata

While events unfolded in Arzell, Syara and nearby Yolenga, in the capital of Mubata, a certain half decade, or quinquennial, event was ushered in with as little fanfare as possible, given the current circumstances.

It was Election Day, and the regime knew full well, as it had been lambasted in the past, that the rest of the region was none too impressed with the blatantly rigged election system of the Republic. With only one name on the ballot, no other political parties legal in the Republic, and election monitors trained to filter out write-ins, only one man was a shoe in for the position of President. While he was known in most parts as ‘President-For-Life’, due to this sham system, in the Republic itself, the government stood by the results showing that Linaga ‘Papa Lini’ Fazembe was, in fact, popularly elected by the constituency of the Republic. (Those that were even allowed voting rights.) Such had also been the case for his father and grandfather back in the early days of the Republic.

Despite all this, with margins built in, the results at the end of the day were 98.6% for Fazembe. When Directorate 57 had time after putting exhaustive energy into other internal dissension, and espionage efforts spent on external enemies such as Ossoria, Azurlavai and their allies, it was sure to focus it’s terrifying gaze upon where this 1.4% error had originated and who must suffer the consequences of a job poorly done.

In a rare but shrewd move, Fazembe chose to not hold a parade and city wide fete, but a lower key celebration in the Presidential Palace to mark his predicted victory.
Last edited by Mubata on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents