NATION

PASSWORD

How do you appraise cards?

The place to wheel and deal, talk shop, and build up your dream deck!
Daves Computer
Envoy

Founded: May 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

How do you appraise cards?

Postby Daves Computer » Mon May 11, 2020 7:51 pm

I'm very new to the trading card trade. I notice there are requests for cards with kangaroos or silly faces and such so it has me wondering: how do you all personally appraise cards? Does the appearance of the card take precedence over rarity? What visual qualities do you want in your card collection? And do you think cards with gifs are more valuable than cards with static images?

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Mon May 11, 2020 8:28 pm

Gif cards do tend to run at a slight premium, and there's a whole group of gif collectors.

Personally, I really only value cards that I need for various collections. For example, one of my projects, collecting all season 2 rares means that I value the 500 or so rares I'm still missing rather highly. Similarly, on this nation I collect all instances of the number '2'.

On this nation I'm posting from, I have mainly valuable cards that have few owners or high MV for various reasons.

In general, the only rarity that consistently runs above JV is Legendary, for obvious reasons.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Debussy
Envoy

Founded: Jun 19, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Debussy » Mon May 11, 2020 8:30 pm

You should join the card server.

If you want an invite, send me a telegram.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Mon May 11, 2020 8:31 pm

Debussy wrote:You should join the card server.

If you want an invite, send me a telegram.

(Or click my signature)
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

The NationStates Bat
Civil Servant

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The NationStates Bat » Sun May 17, 2020 1:06 am

Daves Computer wrote:I'm very new to the trading card trade. I notice there are requests for cards with kangaroos or silly faces and such so it has me wondering: how do you all personally appraise cards? Does the appearance of the card take precedence over rarity? What visual qualities do you want in your card collection? And do you think cards with gifs are more valuable than cards with static images?
People play the card game in many different ways. Some are trying to have the most valuable deck, collect the most legendaries or epics, build the biggest bank, etc. The beauty of the card game is that it becomes whatever you want to make it. You can be competitive or you can simply acquire the cards which you think are appealing irregardless of their value, junk or market.

While gif cards sometimes can sell for above their JV, gifs can sell at JV or close to it because all gifs do not appeal to all card collectors. So it's all about your preferences. The exception to this is if you are trying to build bank to buy expensive cards. That's when paying attention to market value and whether or not the card is currently in demand becomes important. Your flag is great, BTW. When you get a card I'm definitely going to collect it.

Return to Trading Cards