NATION

PASSWORD

Seems fair

A place for governments-in-exile, plucky survivors, unlucky survivors, the horrifically mutated, and other assorted characters to ride out the nuclear hellstorm until it's safe to go outside again.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:04 pm

Vikanias wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Instead of complaining here, go report people you suspect of hacking. Surely if you're confident you're willing to do that?

I never said that anybody was hacking though?

What I said was when hackers in video games (especially fighting games) use hacks to win the game and when called out out they say they are good at the game and everyone else just needs to get good. And what Nreyvw said was an exact repetition of that statement but in different words. Using puppets doesn’t make you good.

Then... what makes you good? Puppet management is the key to everything in NS.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:05 pm

Vikanias wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Instead of complaining here, go report people you suspect of hacking. Surely if you're confident you're willing to do that?

What I said was when hackers in video games (especially fighting games) use hacks to win the game and when called out out they say they are good at the game and everyone else just needs to get good. And what Nreyvw said was an exact repetition of that statement but in different words. Using puppets doesn’t make you good.

What does then?

Deadmask
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Deadmask » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:07 pm

Vikanias wrote:Using puppets doesn’t make you good.

Puppet management is a skill, it takes very little skill to sit in a superfaction and nuke though.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:08 pm

Deadmask wrote:
Vikanias wrote:Using puppets doesn’t make you good.

Puppet management is a skill, it takes very little skill to sit in a superfaction and nuke though.

It does take skill to organize a megafaction however, and skill to keep it running in some organized direction.

Nrevyw
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 09, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Nrevyw » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:10 pm

Vikanias wrote:

You're literally comparing the use of hacks to using puppets. Also, using puppets obviously does make someone good if its the main thing that you're complaining about making N-day unfair.

NCE 03
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby NCE 03 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:11 pm

Vikanias wrote:

"I'm not bad, I'm just 500x less effective than the other guy, even though the same tools and skills are available to us both."

Deadmask
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Deadmask » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:13 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:It does take skill to organize a megafaction however, and skill to keep it running in some organized direction.

A faction of that size has almost no chance of losing if even half of it's members do what they are supposed to. Rogues are a part of almost any decently sized faction and pretty easy to deal with.
As for skill in organizing a megafaction, literally all they did was merge factions.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:14 pm

Deadmask wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:It does take skill to organize a megafaction however, and skill to keep it running in some organized direction.

A faction of that size has almost no chance of losing if even half of it's members do what they are supposed to. Rogues are a part of almost any decently sized faction and pretty easy to deal with.
As for skill in organizing a megafaction, literally all they did was merge factions.

There’s a bit more that goes into those decisions than that. The organization on these starts at least a month prior, sometimes more

Deadmask
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Deadmask » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:17 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:There’s a bit more that goes into those decisions than that. The organization on these starts at least a month prior, sometimes more

That's... common sense? It's diplomacy, just like anything else on this site. Nothing specific to N-Day.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:25 pm

Deadmask wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:There’s a bit more that goes into those decisions than that. The organization on these starts at least a month prior, sometimes more

That's... common sense? It's diplomacy, just like anything else on this site. Nothing specific to N-Day.

And I’m saying there’s still skill in organization involved

Deutsche Royalisten
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Deutsche Royalisten » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:49 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Deutsche Royalisten wrote:You essentially just repeated yourself, also see the second half of my comment that you didn't quote.

I quoted the entirety of your comment - I repeated myself because you continue only to offer that maybe we’d cheat, despite the compelling reasons I’ve indicated for us not to cheat.

So to start, you have provided a singular "reason," not multiple, and I would say in all subjectivity that it isn't compelling whatsoever. Unless you're referring to you simply saying "It's just scripts guys that we made for a once a year event," and then saying "We would never take our already made scripts, and automate them using generic accounts because that would be a waste of time for a once a year event!" In which case, you've made two oh so compelling reasons. However, once again, my counter, was never answered nor was the second half of it. And, to me, that just comes off as you accepting it :hug:.

Also, I can make comparisons to other games because, I was just pointing out the idiocy of the mindset of "Scripts = Skill" when applied to other scenarios? That point isn't muddled by the fact they're not the same game. And to your retort that my picture of the 50+ accounts being used as puppets. The only time I've ever seen someone name a bunch of accounts with randomly selected characters, and while they're barely being thematic, it's typically when he's going to use them to cheat. And it's a pretty common trope in video-games (to avoid connecting them to your main-account in any way), but you'd know that, if you played any other games that is.
Also to the guy who said we should report it and not complain, who says those can are mutually exclusive, lol.

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:55 pm

Deutsche Royalisten wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:I quoted the entirety of your comment - I repeated myself because you continue only to offer that maybe we’d cheat, despite the compelling reasons I’ve indicated for us not to cheat.

So to start, you have provided a singular "reason," not multiple, and I would say in all subjectivity that it isn't compelling whatsoever. Unless you're referring to you simply saying "It's just scripts guys that we made for a once a year event," and then saying "We would never take our already made scripts, and automate them using generic accounts because that would be a waste of time for a once a year event!" In which case, you've made two oh so compelling reasons. However, once again, my counter, was never answered nor was the second half of it. And, to me, that just comes off as you accepting it :hug:.

Also, I can make comparisons to other games because, I was just pointing out the idiocy of the mindset of "Scripts = Skill" when applied to other scenarios? That point isn't muddled by the fact they're not the same game. And to your retort that my picture of the 50+ accounts being used as puppets. The only time I've ever seen someone name a bunch of accounts with randomly selected characters, and while they're barely being thematic, it's typically when he's going to use them to cheat. And it's a pretty common trope in video-games (to avoid connecting them to your main-account in any way), but you'd know that, if you played any other games that is.
Also to the guy who said we should report it and not complain, who says those can are mutually exclusive, lol.

Never said that the scripts were made for this one day. The opposite, in fact.
What was the second half of your counter? Your post was quoted and responded to in full.
Yep. Cheat by naming things with completely random characters... how does that work?

Kingdom of the Indus
Attaché

Founded: Apr 14, 2021
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kingdom of the Indus » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:05 am

Neo Centrosia wrote:
Perikuresu wrote:*eats popcorn*

Share some popcorn, please.

I want some popcorn too!
♔ Indusian Colonial Empire ♔
- The Constitutional Monarchy of Kingdom of the Indus
- The Colony of New Indusia
- The Colony of Rhyddhad
- The Colony of Chandra Luna

Net Loss of 21
Civilian

Founded: Sep 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Net Loss of 21 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:13 am

Deadmask wrote:

'Saltmine' : pensive :

And it takes skill to stand at the top of a huge region with many WA nations so that you can pull it into a huge alliance. If its that easy maybe you should run for del of TNP next year
Last edited by Net Loss of 21 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Deadmask
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Deadmask » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:15 am

Net Loss of 21 wrote:'Saltmine' : pensive :

And it takes skill to stand at the top of a huge region with many WA nations so that you can pull it into a huge alliance. If its that easy maybe you should run for del of TNP next year

This game is literally about diplomacy. It's not just skill at that point, it's time and dedication. Not particularly easy for every person to dedicate that much of their time to NS.
I have no problem with huge factions winning, they do every year. Normally though it takes a while for the big factions to take eachother out, giving the smaller factions their time to have some fun. All the small factions were basically wiped out within the first 4 hours this time.
Context is very important to the meaning of a word.
And why TNP? Of all places?

Volgastaat
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 27, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Volgastaat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:28 am

So what's the point of being involved with the event if you don't want to be the major faction?

Filipinn
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Filipinn » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:41 am

NCE 03 wrote:
Vikanias wrote:

"I'm not bad, I'm just 500x less effective than the other guy, even though the same tools and skills are available to us both."

lad, you just defined what bad means.

The Cordian Isles
Envoy

Founded: Aug 24, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cordian Isles » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:08 am

Filipinn wrote:
NCE 03 wrote:"I'm not bad, I'm just 500x less effective than the other guy, even though the same tools and skills are available to us both."

lad, you just defined what bad means.

Exactly.
Former Executive Director of Founderless
Former WLC Vice President
TSP Legislator
UDS Councillor
UDS Ambassador to TNP
R/Der of moderate skill
Last 16: WLC 38, WLC 39, CoH 83, WCoH 48
Quarterfinalists: BoF 77, WCoH 44, WCoH 45, WCoH 47, AOCAF 67, AOHC 9, AOHC 10
World Cup of Hockey 46 and Atlantean Oceania Hockey Championship 11 Champions!
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my regions unless explicitly stated otherwise.
THE CORDIAN ISLES ARE COLD.
Also known as NCE.

Gracius Maximus
Secretary

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gracius Maximus » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:05 am

Neo Centrosia wrote:
Sincluda wrote:? Because some don't care to decorate their puppets and want to make them as fast as possible ?

They are definitely bots. They are responding with multiple accounts with a less than 1 minute response time, so unless they're sitting at their keyboard coordinating over 1,000 accounts at once, then I see no way they couldn't be bots.

At that point, you're beyond a single person running puppet nations. You're either using bots, or you've hired out an entire firm in India to run your puppet nations.

I don't know if you need to have a bot to accomplish this. Even if say 1000 (or 5000 or 10000) of the nations in CotA are puppets that still lives several hundred players that can click the "Incoming" link at any moment in time and intercept nukes. I've done it several dozen times myself and I am notoriously inactive.

And all my puppets have the default flag because I can't be bothered to change it since I know they will all cte again in a few weeks anyway.
'Remember, everything you have here in the North is only because I got bored.' - The Minister, Ruler of Gracius Maximus, Conqueror of Pixiedance, last hero of the North
'Some acts simply cannot be apologized for. I do realize this is a game, but you have caused all of us so much strife over the past months, and caused others to follow in your lead, that it's become a bit more than that. And as such, I cannot accept your apology. Respect it, I will. Forgive you, I won't.' - Hersfold
Former Delegate of The North Pacific
Former Chief Justice, Attorney General, Minister of Defense, Minister of Justice, Deputy Minister of Culture, member of the Security Council, and Election Commissioner of The North Pacific. Holder of an eighty count.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:15 am

This thread:

1. Online game based entirely on diplomacy and browser clicks creates mini-game with definable factions specifically to call attention to the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons.

2. Players coalesce into just a couple of major factions based on the likelihood of getting nuked into oblivion. These factions are based primarily on players' past work and skill in point-and-click puppet use.

3. Instead of noting obvious parallels with Cold War and how smaller powers essentially had to join one of the two major factions if they wanted to be safe from invasion, smaller powers complain about a couple of major factions dominating the game.

4. Players ignore history of smaller nations asking NATO, Warsaw Pact, China, India, and Pakistan to give up nuclear weapons, and draw no lessons from these similar situations.

5. Humans continue to learn nothing.

Hegel wrote:"We learn from history that we do not learn from history."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

North Cromch
Envoy

Founded: Apr 22, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Cromch » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:26 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:This thread:

1. Online game based entirely on diplomacy and browser clicks creates mini-game with definable factions specifically to call attention to the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons.

2. Players coalesce into just a couple of major factions based on the likelihood of getting nuked into oblivion. These factions are based primarily on players' past work and skill in point-and-click puppet use.

3. Instead of noting obvious parallels with Cold War and how smaller powers essentially had to join one of the two major factions if they wanted to be safe from invasion, smaller powers complain about a couple of major factions dominating the game.

4. Players ignore history of smaller nations asking NATO, Warsaw Pact, China, India, and Pakistan to give up nuclear weapons, and draw no lessons from these similar situations.

Problem is, the facts that there was pretty much only two major factions this time round and the presence of several CotA factions is preetty alarming.

Borogravia Moldavi
Political Columnist

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Borogravia Moldavi » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:28 am

It seems a bit of a stretch to think of NS as a microcosm of humanity as a whole. Yes, the parallels are there to be made, but also, it is just a game and it is heavily biased towards a Euro-centric (even if Max is Australian) or Anglophone worldview.

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:31 am

It's a game, Socrates. We're here to have fun. If we're not having fun, then it's poor game design.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

Brototh
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 07, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby Brototh » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:34 am

There's a very big difference between players not learning history, and players not having fun in a game. When there are two big megafactions- sure it brings parrallel to NATO and the Warsaw Pact in the Cold War, but at the end of the day, it is a game.

If the players aren't having fun in the game, they aren't going to focus on the history either way, they will just complain that the event was poor. If we want players to learn history- which I agree, is important- the event surrounding it has to be fun as well. If we aren't having fun, we won't get anywhere.
She/Her
Minister of Domestic Affairs - Thaecia

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:35 am

Brototh wrote:

There's a very big difference between players not learning history, and players not having fun in a game. When there are two big megafactions- sure it brings parrallel to NATO and the Warsaw Pact in the Cold War, but at the end of the day, it is a game.

If the players aren't having fun in the game, they aren't going to focus on the history either way, they will just complain that the event was poor. If we want players to learn history- which I agree, is important- the event surrounding it has to be fun as well. If we aren't having fun, we won't get anywhere.

Which serves as a reminder that this is a one-day event.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Vault 41