NATION

PASSWORD

OK this is straight up unfair

A place for governments-in-exile, plucky survivors, unlucky survivors, the horrifically mutated, and other assorted characters to ride out the nuclear hellstorm until it's safe to go outside again.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:53 pm

Sincluda wrote:
Gonswanza wrote:>Mfw crabs is already doing that

There are a bunch of rogues on both sides.

The rogues are more interesting than either superfaction. Go rogues! :bow:
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

FNU
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 21, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby FNU » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:54 pm

Reploid Productions wrote:
FNU wrote:Are we really going to devolve to petty squabbling over a once a year event?

I mean... it is sorta a Nationstates tradition to do so.

Fair enough I suppose.
I write dumb things, ask and I'll vaguely explain them.

North American Imperial State
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby North American Imperial State » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:54 pm

Mubata wrote:
FNU wrote:Are we really going to devolve to petty squabbling over a once a year event?

Says a Crabs guy.
Squabbling or pointing out that you guys and Potato pretty much sucked the fun out of an event that a lot of people look forward to?
The only reason to join next year would be to join one of the big factions like yours so you can say you were part of squashing all the others in the first couple hours. Yay! Not really appealing to many.
Also, those numbers are vastly inflated with card farm puppets.

Agreed!
i sometimes post on the forums, sometimes i don't, you will never know

Deadmask
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Deadmask » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:24 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:If everyone joined a bigger faction, there would only be one faction. Hell there's basically only 2 right now. Even last year it wasn't this bad. Not a day to look forward to anymore, sadly.
I'd say make it so only members of a region could join a faction, but that doesn't seem to be a particularly popular idea. It seems people would rather just let N-Day become irrelevant.

Only nations in a given region would just return us to Horsemen domination, but worse[/quote]
No N-Day has been this bad in terms of how boring it's been. If not that, someone's got to come up with something to make this event more enjoyable. It was inevitable that it'd come to this, though.
At least if you region locked it, people would be forced to move their puppets/main nations if they wanted to use a million puppets.

Gonswanza
Senator

Founded: Aug 13, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gonswanza » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
Sincluda wrote:There are a bunch of rogues on both sides.

The rogues are more interesting than either superfaction. Go rogues! :bow:

The rogues are having their launches swatted down left and right, so I guess it is mildly amusing.
Praise our glorious leader Laura Ortiz!
Yea, I sell things. Lots of things. KTO Member!
[GNN] Check [hyperlink blocked] for further instructions or [frequency blocked]. /// Finland holds off Russian advance, Baltic sea turned into a "bathtub from hell". /// Strange signals from space, likely a dysfunctional probe /// New body armor rolling off the line, onto Gonswanzan soldiers /// Canada declares war against the US after a bloody coup. /// Japan deploys infantry to Korea, post-unification.

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:42 pm

Since when did we need a reason to devolve into petty squabbling?
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:43 pm

Deadmask wrote:No N-Day has been this bad in terms of how boring it's been. If not that, someone's got to come up with something to make this event more enjoyable. It was inevitable that it'd come to this, though.
At least if you region locked it, people would be forced to move their puppets/main nations if they wanted to use a million puppets.

…that’s not at all hard for the puppetmasters we’re talking about, especially when it’s only once a year
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadmask
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Deadmask » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:16 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Deadmask wrote:No N-Day has been this bad in terms of how boring it's been. If not that, someone's got to come up with something to make this event more enjoyable. It was inevitable that it'd come to this, though.

…that’s not at all hard for the puppetmasters we’re talking about, especially when it’s only once a year

I mean I've done it. I did it last year. I don't see any better ideas being thrown out though, besides just giving up on N-Day or banning/capping puppets altogether.

Femto-Yotta Technologies
Civilian

Founded: Oct 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Femto-Yotta Technologies » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:21 pm

The time sequence here is hilarious lol

Zombie Waldensia
Civilian

Founded: Oct 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Zombie Waldensia » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:23 pm

Neu Engollon wrote:Yep, the two biggest bullies allied up to take out everyone else. Sucks all the fun out of it.

Thought we'd last longer than 4 hours, but I'm not gonna cry 'unfair'. It was always a possibility that if we got any points we would pop up on the big guys radars, and we knew what we were getting into. Of course, if the two biggest factions with all the card farms annihilate everyone else that quick, I don't see much of a future for N-Day after this one. Hardly anyone is going to sign up again for that BS.

Doubt I'll watch the shoot out between Potato and Crabs. But if they don't try to take each other out at the very end and they keep the truce, this will be the lamest N-Day ever and I hope the last.

This times 100.

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:32 pm

Femto-Yotta Technologies wrote:The time sequence here is hilarious lol
(Image)

The Duality of N-Day
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

Isaris
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 18, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Isaris » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:56 pm

Thought we'd last longer than 4 hours, but I'm not gonna cry 'unfair'.

2nd place has over 80,000 points... 3rd has less than 1,000. You really sure it's not unfair? What is your concept of fair, then, exactly?

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012

Postby Neu Engollon » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:30 pm

Isaris wrote:
Thought we'd last longer than 4 hours, but I'm not gonna cry 'unfair'.

2nd place has over 80,000 points... 3rd has less than 1,000. You really sure it's not unfair? What is your concept of fair, then, exactly?

It's fair because technically we all had the ability to create hundreds of puppets and create scripts to run them. A good number of us just didn't think we had to in order to maybe not win, but survive a bit longer than most of us did. I share your frustration at how lopsided it all was and I have no desire to waste my time with this mini-game again. However, I can't say that anyone cheated or that we didn't have a fair chance going in, other than not knowing what we faced.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Zosha the Whirlwind
Civilian

Founded: Oct 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zosha the Whirlwind » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:59 pm

Neu Engollon wrote:
Isaris wrote:

It's fair because technically we all had the ability to create hundreds of puppets and create scripts to run them. A good number of us just didn't think we had to in order to maybe not win, but survive a bit longer than most of us did. I share your frustration at how lopsided it all was and I have no desire to waste my time with this mini-game again. However, I can't say that anyone cheated or that we didn't have a fair chance going in, other than not knowing what we faced.

I don't know about you, but I do not have the ability to create scripts. I wouldn't even know where to begin, so I don't think that's a reasonable argument. Not everyone who plays this game has the same kind of technical skills.

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:00 am

Zosha the Whirlwind wrote:
Neu Engollon wrote:

I don't know about you, but I do not have the ability to create scripts. I wouldn't even know where to begin, so I don't think that's a reasonable argument. Not everyone who plays this game has the same kind of technical skills.

There are plenty of public ones but yeah same :P

Minimark
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 15, 2019

Postby Minimark » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:05 am

Know I sound like a broken record but...

can't wait for Z-day. See u then.

North Cromch
Envoy

Founded: Apr 22, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Cromch » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:23 am

Minimark wrote:Know I sound like a broken record but...

can't wait for Z-day. See u then.

At least there it can become a FFA.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:06 am

Zosha the Whirlwind wrote:
Neu Engollon wrote:

I don't know scripts either, but I know people who do. Life is unfair. I think we're looking at this from a different definition of 'fair', for sure. Do I think this event was frustrating, agonizing, and kind of lame due to how it played out? Yes. Do I think that it was 'unfair', in that others had an advantage not available to me?

Well, no. I could have just joined up with one of the big factions, or I could have schemed more with finding script writers and other tech savvy players and collaborating to make our own giant faction with willing players and regions. Roavin covered it well in this post in another thread. They did everything to stay within the rules as they currently stand, in order to overwhelm and win by any means necessary.

Ultimately, my point is that I feel your pain, but I don't feel that we didn't have the tools at our disposal to equalize the playing field, even if we didn't have the time to put in such effort, or the knowledge that such effort would be necessary to get any enjoyment out of the event.

I get your frustration, and I was as disadvantaged as you, but unless anything major changes in how this event is run, the best we can do is not participate next time around.
I don't think that NS can do much of anything about the 'tech' and scripts that are run from outside the site and unless there's faction cap limits put in place we will see the same mega-factions dominating every year. And as has been pointed out, even faction cap limits won't stop those mega-faction script runners from banding those factions together in one giant alliance with one coherent strategy, so that would likely be a pointless attempt to correct the lopsided mess.
My Factbook
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Cappedore
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 16, 2017

Postby Cappedore » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:41 am

Still straight up unfair for you yet?
- Legislator and current Minister of Culture in The East Pacific.
- Former President, Deputy Prime Minister, Senator, and socialite of the Union of Allied States.
- 18 year old Brit with too many aspirations.
- Member of the Labour Party (UK).
- A fan of Clement Attlee.
Minister of Culture - The East Pacific
(Please acknowledge that what I say, promote, endorse, or oppose are NOT official positions of WAA in TEP unless explicitly stated otherwise.)
President Austin Merrill | Vice President Cleveland Durand | Chancellor Maya Murray

Deadmask
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Deadmask » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:50 am

Neu Engollon wrote:
Zosha the Whirlwind wrote:I don't know about you, but I do not have the ability to create scripts. I wouldn't even know where to begin, so I don't think that's a reasonable argument. Not everyone who plays this game has the same kind of technical skills.

I don't know scripts either, but I know people who do. Life is unfair. I think we're looking at this from a different definition of 'fair', for sure. Do I think this event was frustrating, agonizing, and kind of lame due to how it played out? Yes. Do I think that it was 'unfair', in that others had an advantage not available to me?

Well, no. I could have just joined up with one of the big factions, or I could have schemed more with finding script writers and other tech savvy players and collaborating to make our own giant faction with willing players and regions. Roavin covered it well in this post in another thread. They did everything to stay within the rules as they currently stand, in order to overwhelm and win by any means necessary.

Ultimately, my point is that I feel your pain, but I don't feel that we didn't have the tools at our disposal to equalize the playing field, even if we didn't have the time to put in such effort, or the knowledge that such effort would be necessary to get any enjoyment out of the event.

I get your frustration, and I was as disadvantaged as you, but unless anything major changes in how this event is run, the best we can do is not participate next time around.
I don't think that NS can do much of anything about the 'tech' and scripts that are run from outside the site and unless there's faction cap limits put in place we will see the same mega-factions dominating every year. And as has been pointed out, even faction cap limits won't stop those mega-faction script runners from banding those factions together in one giant alliance with one coherent strategy, so that would likely be a pointless attempt to correct the lopsided mess.

That’s honestly what everyone should do. I’m not participating again just to watch some dudes inflate their egos with another unbeatable superfaction.

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:54 am

Once again.

The puppets are not run by scripts.

North Cromch
Envoy

Founded: Apr 22, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Cromch » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:25 am

Comfed wrote:Once again.

Granted, the scripts are pretty much stuff to minimize the time needed to go between pages.

Coronational Chechyans and affiliates
Attaché

Founded: Jul 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Coronational Chechyans and affiliates » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:28 am

Crab people win bday forever at this point right? Might as well have this be the final event you can't have a more dominant performance

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:44 am

Comfed wrote:Once again.

Semantics. You know what is implied, you are just choosing to shift focus to how scripts operate. The fact is that scripts were used by Crabs and Potato in order for players who operated puppets to smoothly navigate between them and save making unnecessary clicks and keystrokes. Players from both sides have admitted as much, and Lord Dominator went as far as posting the link to the script issued to Potato puppet masters before the event started.
My Factbook

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:51 am

Neu Engollon wrote:
Zosha the Whirlwind wrote:I don't know about you, but I do not have the ability to create scripts. I wouldn't even know where to begin, so I don't think that's a reasonable argument. Not everyone who plays this game has the same kind of technical skills.

I think you may have to review that statement if NationStates decides that the 6th Nuclear Apocalypse will be the last edition, because how disastrous it has turned out: not likely, but I cannot rule it out.

I do not expect players to take “life isn’t fair” kindly if what happened this year is going to be the future of the Nuclear Apocalypse minigame: if enough players decides that the Nuclear Apocalypse is not worth taking part because of the superfactions like Crabs of the Apocalypse, then the whole Nuclear Apocalypse series is in danger of cancellation.

The reason I have been so vocal about the current state of the game is that all five previous editions had reasonable competition. To see the 6th Nuclear Apocalypse turn out like this means something has gone terribly wrong, and the problem cannot be ignored, seeing how players have become increasingly concerned about the advantage of superfactions. I think the 6th Nuclear Apocalypse has become the worst case scenario of the advantage of superfactions.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Vault 41