NATION

PASSWORD

[CHALLENGE] Standards On Police Accountability

A repository for discussions of the General Assembly Secretariat.
Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

[CHALLENGE] Standards On Police Accountability

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:58 am

Debate thread.

Public challenge thread

To keep the form correct, I vote we hear the challenge, and vote illegal.

The evidence in the public challenge thread is that the reference to the Legal Industry in the description of the Legal Reform AoE cannot refer generally to Law Enforcement. IMO IS is not so much the best fit as it is the only fit.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:48 am

Seconded, and yes, we should hear this.

While I would have accepted Civil Rights as an alternate category, I do agree that there is no reasonable fit with Reg/Legal Reform.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:00 pm

It seems from this (viewtopic.php?p=37317800#p37317800) that we have 3 votes for Illegal. Barring Bears's sudden return, that is a majority. If no compelling argument to the contrary shows up here, I'll ask Moderation to execute the Discard after tonight's (EDT) major update.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:35 pm

I agree. I disagree that the best category test is appropriate in the first place, but that's our precedent.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:38 am

Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:07 pm

“Standards On Police Accountability” was submitted to the General Assembly on June 23, 2020, as a Legal Reform proposal. We are asked to determine whether the proposal violates the Category Rule. After careful consideration, we conclude that the proposal, as written, violates the rule because there is no reasonable argument that any of its significant effects fit within the Legal Reform category.

To determine whether a proposal complies with the Category Rule, we historically have applied the “best fit” test. This test applies a two-pronged analysis. The starting inquiry is whether the proposal fits into any of the currently available categories. If a proposal clearly fits into some category more than any other, then it violates the Category Rule if the proposal uses another category. [2018] GAS 3. On the other hand, “if a proposal does not clearly fit into one particular subcategory,” then the fit need only be reasonable. Id. As part of our analysis, we look to the proposal’s “most noticeable consequence,” which “is the primary consideration in determining its category.” [2016] GAS 6.

The threshold question in this analysis is whether the proposal, as written, fits into any of the categories. To satisfy this prong, the challenged proposal does not need to fit perfectly within the chosen category. See [2018] GAS 3 (“we have rejected the extreme approach of strict categorization, where every single clause would have to fit the category and subcategory.”).

It is not disputed that the proposal requires member nations to increase expenditures on policing. Clause 3 requires police departments to “conduct evaluations by mental health professionals on any person applying for employment at a police force.” Clause 6 requires member nations to “provide police forces within their jurisdictions with body-worn cameras, require [law enforcement officers] within their jurisdictions to equip body-worn cameras, and provide police forces within their jurisdictions with onboard cameras and require those forces to affix onboard cameras to any vehicles owned by said forces.” Clause 10 requires member nations to “adopt training policies that discourage the unnecessary use of force—especially lethal force—by [law enforcement officer]s as a method of conflict resolution and obtaining compliance from civilians.”

It is not clear, however, that these clauses, which increase training and equipment for law enforcement officers, constitute the “most noticeable consequence” of the proposal. Indeed, we could rationally classify several of the resolution’s effects (for instance, clause 2, establishing criminal liability for law enforcement officers, and clause 5, requiring member nations to provide recourse for police misconduct) as “the most noticeable consequence.” Imposing broad criminal liability is a very significant effect, even if it is only contained in one clause, for example. These other clauses do not necessarily increase police spending.

The purpose of the GA rules is to make this game the best it can be for its players. That aim is not served by formalistic applications of categories, especially when proposals have various effects that fall into several categories. The best fit test, as it currently exists, yokes the GA game to an inexhaustive set of categories whose effects are sometimes obscure, even to members of GenSec. Rather than requiring GenSec to make a formalistic and, as here, largely unguided category determinations, a superior approach that would better serve the players of this game would at least partly unmoor the category rule from the formalism of game stats, so that an author is no longer vulnerable to a category challenge if their proposal reasonably falls within the statistical effect of a category.

We therefore reject the best fit test as the governing test for the Category Rule and instead adopt an “any suitable category” test, which asks only if the category is reasonable. A selection is reasonable if there is a plausible argument that any of the resolution’s significant effects fit within the category. For the the purposes of this test, an effect is significant when it is not trivial or speculative. In adopting this test, we hope to free players from the formalism of the best fit test while also ensuring that the category chosen by the author at least partly reflects the text of the resolution.

Applying this test to the challenged resolution, we conclude that it violates the category rule. Although there is potentially a plausible argument that Clause 5 might fit within the legal reform category, which “[r]egulate[s] the legal industry, public and private, for access to justice for all,” by leading some nations to create a private right of action against law enforcement officers, the speculative effect of a single clause by itself is not enough to justify a category selection that otherwise finds no support in the text of the resolution.

In light of the above analysis, we find that “Standards On Police Accountability” does not employ any of the potentially suitable categories, and therefore violates the Category Rule.
Last edited by Sciongrad on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:58 pm

I will sign on to this opinion. It is quite long - we might do well to trim some of it. A good and thorough analysis, tho.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:07 am

Well written. I concur. “Reasonable category” is an acceptable stance.

Edit: I believe the length of the ruling is not an issue. Thorough is the best method, and leaves little room for doubt, and hopefully can be a deterrent to our rules lawyers.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:09 am

Very good — that makes five. I'll post this shortly.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:46 am

Ftr. I sign also and had told Scion privately earlier.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Secretariat Archives