NATION

PASSWORD

[Challenge] Extrajudicial punishment thingy

A repository for discussions of the General Assembly Secretariat.
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

[Challenge] Extrajudicial punishment thingy

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:54 am

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:51 am

Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:52 am

I can see room to argue that the proposal being challenged is one that regulates the behavior of independent actors, while NPWL regulates states themselves. It seems that's the argument in the drafting thread.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:40 am

Extrajudicial punishment doesn't care if a law is public or secret. It just means that somebody is being punished without going through the judicial system. Given that, I don't see any duplication with Fairness in Criminal Trials either. That resolution is assuming that people are being charged and taken to the court, and doesn't touch on what happens when the state is skipping those steps altogether.

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:43 pm

GAR#37 only requires that individuals charged with crimes be given a trial. To my knowledge, no resolution forbids punishing individuals outside of the formal legal system. Even NPWL only prevents member nations from punishing individuals where the law doesn't exist. Punishing someone for suspected political subversion, if that's illegal, through extrajudicial execution is not forbidden by any resolution. Recall GAR#112 once banned summary execution, which is a type of extrajudicial punishment. I say this is legal.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:12 pm

Sciongrad wrote:GAR#37 only requires that individuals charged with crimes be given a trial. To my knowledge, no resolution forbids punishing individuals outside of the formal legal system. Even NPWL only prevents member nations from punishing individuals where the law doesn't exist. Punishing someone for suspected political subversion, if that's illegal, through extrajudicial execution is not forbidden by any resolution. Recall GAR#112 once banned summary execution, which is a type of extrajudicial punishment. I say this is legal.

I agree. The initial opinion that I gave in the public thread stands.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon May 01, 2017 4:07 am

Agreed.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon May 01, 2017 5:49 am

Eh, I guess.

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Mon May 01, 2017 5:33 pm

The question before us is whether or not extrajudicial punishment has already been proscribed incidentally by broader requirements in extant legislation. The first contender is GAR#37, Fairness in Criminal Trials, which guarantees a right to a trial to all individuals accused of committing crimes. GAR#37 only requires that individuals charged with crimes be given a trial, however. To our knowledge, no resolution forbids punishing individuals outside of the formal legal system. Even GAR#323, No Penalty Without Law, only prevents member nations from punishing individuals where the law doesn't exist. Punishing someone for suspected political subversion, if that's illegal, through extrajudicial execution is not forbidden by any resolution. Recall GAR#112 once banned summary execution, which is a type of extrajudicial punishment.

With this in mind, we hold that the resolution does not, in fact, duplicate extant legislation.
Last edited by Sciongrad on Mon May 01, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon May 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Cite the resolution number for NPWL and that's good to go. I join Scion's opinion.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue May 02, 2017 6:53 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Cite the resolution number for NPWL and that's good to go. I join Scion's opinion.

Me too.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Wed May 03, 2017 5:12 am

I'll sign on

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Secretariat Archives