NATION

PASSWORD

[CHALLENGE] Open Internet Order

A repository for discussions of the General Assembly Secretariat.
Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

[CHALLENGE] Open Internet Order

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:35 am

We have been served with a challenge to the resolution at vote. It is winning by a substantial margin (10,628 to 2,819) with 2 days, 15 hours to go.

Excidium Planetis wrote:At Vote Resolution:
https://www.nationstates.net/page=ga
Resolution Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=403412

For the record, resolution text is here:
The General Assembly,

Recognizing the essential role of the Internet in areas such as economic, social, and political activity;

Concerned that Internet Service Providers hold all the tools necessary to deceive subscribers and block or otherwise degrade content;

HEREBY:

1. Defines the following:

(a) "Internet Service Provider" as an entity that directly controls and operates facilities that are used to provide Internet access.
(b) "Reasonable Network Management" allows Internet Service Providers to temporarily throttle access to the network on legal grounds such as avoiding network congestion or contractual obligations.
(c) "Lawful" allowed by international law and/or national law (If international law and national law conflict, international law takes precedence over national law).
(d) "Internet" refers to the collection of technical protocols that allows different devices on different platforms to communicate with each other.
(e) "Subscriber" refers to a person who pays to receive and/or access a service.
2. Prohibits Internet Service Providers from:

(a) Arbitrarily blocking access to lawful content and/or access to the network; subject to reasonable network management.
(b) Arbitrarily throttling access to lawful content and/or access to the network; subject to reasonable network management.
3. Requires Internet Service Providers to disclose to new and existing subscribers:

(a) Any and all pricing information related to the service plan.
(b) Any and all caps related to the service plan as well as the consequences of exceeding such cap.
4. Permits Internet Service Providers to employ reasonable network management controls.

5. Establishes the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority.

6. Empowers the Telecommunication Regulatory Authority to issue fines, enforce provision(s) of this resolution and conduct investigations against Internet Service Providers. The Telecommunication Regulatory Authority may also issue declaratory rulings, at its discretion.

I assert that the proposal in question contradicts GA#2 by forming a committee with police powers. The final clause states:
6. Empowers the Telecommunication Regulatory Authority to issue fines, enforce provision(s) of this resolution and conduct investigations against Internet Service Providers. The Telecommunication Regulatory Authority may also issue declaratory rulings, at its discretion.

I ask GenSec the following questions:
1) Is the ability to enforce a WA resolution through a committee a contradiction of GA#2's Article 10, which prohibits police actions under the WA banner?
2) Is the ability to conduct investigations against private entities in member nations a contradiction of GA#2's Article 10?

Edited to add:

Bananaistan wrote:The format: operative clause rule states "every proposal has to have some recognizable effect on member nations, such as requiring them to take action or encouraging them to support a policy change." I maintain that this resolution does neither and is therefore illegal.
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:47 am

My initial, unreflective thoughts:

1) Possibly.
2) No, WA committees "investigate" breaches of international law all the time. We specifically upheld the legality of the proposal that became GAR #390, which contains the word "investigate" or "investigation" in four of its five clauses, including the first, which clearly indicates the committee is doing the investigating. One might respond, "Well, they're investigating nations, not private entities!" But in a WA that contains feudal and corporate states, there is sometimes no difference between those and thus it must be theoretically possible for a WA committee to investigate breaches by private actors.

If there is a GAR #2 breach, it's from the proposal's direct enforcement mechanism.
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:29 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:My initial, unreflective thoughts:

1) Possibly.
2) No, WA committees "investigate" breaches of international law all the time. We specifically upheld the legality of the proposal that became GAR #390, which contains the word "investigate" or "investigation" in four of its five clauses, including the first, which clearly indicates the committee is doing the investigating. One might respond, "Well, they're investigating nations, not private entities!" But in a WA that contains feudal and corporate states, there is sometimes no difference between those and thus it must be theoretically possible for a WA committee to investigate breaches by private actors.

If there is a GAR #2 breach, it's from the proposal's direct enforcement mechanism.

I thought this was legal at first, but upon revisiting it, I've concluded that clause 6 might contradict GAR#2 (I need to hear more argumentation on this) and tries to act directly on non-state entities. I'm not convinced, however, by EP's second argument.
Last edited by Sciongrad on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:20 am

Lets ask more about the first argument in the Public challenge, then. I'm not inclined to make up arguments for anybody.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 am

It somehow escaped my attention that the author had ended up submitting a version which doesn't explain what they mean by "the Internet" in the IC context of Nationstates. As I explained in the drafting thread, in that situation and with the initial upper-case letter clearly making it a 'proper' noun, I would interpret it as having to be a reference to the RL Internet and consider the proposal therefore illegal for that reason.
Don't know how it slipped past me...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Bears Armed wrote:It somehow escaped my attention that the author had ended up submitting a version which doesn't explain what they mean by "the Internet" in the IC context of Nationstates. As I explained in the drafting thread, in that situation and with the initial upper-case letter clearly making it a 'proper' noun, I would interpret it as having to be a reference to the RL Internet and consider the proposal therefore illegal for that reason.
Don't know how it slipped past me...

I don't know if the GA considers the issue base 'part of the NationStates world' for its purposes, but the Internet (capital i) is referenced in the issues. So I could see a user being at least slightly confused if you nuked a proposal for RL references that also exist in NS canon.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 am

So, we gotta make a decision soon. Motion to vote on legality per the two provisions.

If seconded, Count 1 - illegal, Count 2 - legal.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:30 am

You guys will be inventing a new rule if you say that the WA is no longer allowed to act on "non-state entities." This idea has no basis in anything, not the rules, not GAR2, and is directly contradicted by over a decade of resolutions.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:38 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:You guys will be inventing a new rule if you say that the WA is no longer allowed to act on "non-state entities." This idea has no basis in anything, not the rules, not GAR2, and is directly contradicted by over a decade of resolutions.

I'm not convinced that this is the way to actually look at it. The relevant rule states:
Format: Other universal standards for all General Assembly proposals.
Operative Clause: Every proposal has to have some recognizable effect on member nations, such as requiring them to take action or encouraging them to support a policy change.

The question is whether this rule, as written, requires an operative clause compelling action by a member state (implicitly allowing other clauses which act directly on non-state entities) or whether proposals can merely affect non-state entities which causes an understood effect upon member nations. The former seems to be more in line with the way the rule is written.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:22 am

"Some kind of effect on member states" is not the equivalent of "must take action through member states." Regulating ISPs in member states has an effect on those member states.

The WA has always been able to directly govern. Rewording the rules didn't change that.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:52 am

I vote that the proposal is legal on both counts.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:57 am

I vote it's legal on both counts. I think it's illegal for lacking an operative clause that affects member nations.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:52 am

Luna Amore wrote:I don't know if the GA considers the issue base 'part of the NationStates world' for its purposes, but the Internet (capital i) is referenced in the issues. So I could see a user being at least slightly confused if you nuked a proposal for RL references that also exist in NS canon.

We've been told by Mods in the past that issues and the GA are completely separate: That's why, for example, WA members are able to answer issues in ways that got against GA law. If those those two aspects of the game were to be considered linked then arguable somebody would have to go through all of the issues and mark such options as having 'Validity: not WA member'...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:37 am

Sciongrad wrote:I vote it's legal on both counts. I think it's illegal for lacking an operative clause that affects member nations.

If that's your view you need to be much more specific. The proposal obviously "affects member nations" - if you don't imagine that these regulations would affect the economic indices and people's personal lives in member nations, that's clearly absurd (but it's also just as obviously not what you're arguing). You are saying it's illegal for not affecting member nations' governments.

Here is the Operative Clause rule:

Operative Clause: Every proposal has to have some recognizable effect on member nations, such as requiring them to take action or encouraging them to support a policy change.

It doesn't say anything about member nations' governments, but both of the examples it gives are examples of a law acting upon the government specifically.

Nobody else has any sympathy for the view that the law directly acting on private entities and being given the power "to issue fines, enforce provision(s) of this resolution" makes it a much simpler GAR #2 contradiction?
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Nobody else has any sympathy for the view that the law directly acting on private entities and being given the power "to issue fines, enforce provision(s) of this resolution" makes it a much simpler GAR #2 contradiction?

Not really, no, because you don't send in SWAT to collect regulatory fines. In "WA General Fund", the GAO collects fees from member states. If the proposal had any provisions where enforcement would mean military/police action is reasonably required, then yeah, that'd be a problem. But we're talking about regulatory fines and telling ISPs they're not allowed to block content. It's basically a combination of the FCC and a court.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:02 pm

So that's a definite 1 for Illegal on at least one charge presented, and two for legal on the presented charges. We need some more definite votes, or it's by default legal.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:59 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:We need some more definite votes, or it's by default legal.

That's also necessary for a mod discard if it's illegal. I need to know within the next 22 hours, or it becomes law.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:55 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Nobody else has any sympathy for the view that the law directly acting on private entities and being given the power "to issue fines, enforce provision(s) of this resolution" makes it a much simpler GAR #2 contradiction?

Not really, no, because you don't send in SWAT to collect regulatory fines. In "WA General Fund", the GAO collects fees from member states. If the proposal had any provisions where enforcement would mean military/police action is reasonably required, then yeah, that'd be a problem. But we're talking about regulatory fines and telling ISPs they're not allowed to block content. It's basically a combination of the FCC and a court.

No, fines are not collected by SWAT. Fines are not what I'm concerned about, both because there's precedent for a WA agency directly collecting fines from private entities (see GAR #113), and because the instant proposal asserts an enforcement power in addition to its power to levy fines. If it only said fines, that would be fine; or if it only said "enforce" I would say we should give it the benefit of reasonable doubt; but it explicitly claims the power of enforcement separately from the power to levy fines. It lays no limits on that power of enforcement, gives no further context, does not clarify "by civil penalty" or "by revocation of corporate charter" or anything. It only uses the open-ended "enforce." The law means what the law says.

Count 1: illegal
Count 2: legal
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:33 am

Legal as far as GAR #2 goes.
As has been pointed out, if does include a definition, albeit a poor one, so I'm dropping the 'RL reference' challenge.

As regards not having a clause that targets member nations: I'll say illegal, on the basis that as written the agency apparently would be trying to act on ISPs in all nations rather than just in member ones...

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:24 am

I'm strongly of the opinion that "effects on member nations" should be construed broadly. That is to say, proposals are legal on this count as long as they have some direct or indirect effect on member nation governments or on member nation populations.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 am

'K, GR, do you want us to assume your vote is that it's legal? A formal vote would be better, but we're running out of time.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:38 pm

OK, so this is rather complicated. I need a vote tracker to make sense of all this, so... correct me if I've got your position wrong (and preemptive apologies).

Count 1: GAR #2 violation based on "enforcement" provision
  • Legal: Bears Armed, Christian Democrats, Glen-Rhodes, Sciongrad
  • Illegal: Separatist Peoples, Sierra Lyricalia
Count 2: GAR #2 violation based on "investigation" provision
  • Legal: (unanimous)
  • Illegal: (none)
Count 3: Operative Clause Rule violation based on not affecting member state governments, only private entities
  • Legal: Christian Democrats, Glen-Rhodes, Separatist Peoples, Sierra Lyricalia
  • Illegal: Bears Armed, Sciongrad

Distilling that, we have a 4-2 "majority" who think it's illegal for something. CD & GR believe it is legal outright; then between the NOC problem and the police powers problem, we don't have a majority opinion, only a pair of mutually exclusive concurrences.

Who wants to write an opinion? :D

Edit: scare quotes warranted
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm

To clarify (or state for the first time, really) my position on Count 3, the alleged NOC violation: the Operative Clause rule, as written, simply states that resolutions must affect member states. It does not say they must do so through member states' governments. I'm open to re-writing the rule to "correct" that, but currently I have to find a proposal that affects member states, full stop, legal - even if it bypasses governments. Doing otherwise is effectively an ex post facto rule.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:40 pm

Due to lack of opinions presented prior to proposal becoming a legal resolution, I am posting that we must find the proposal legal, as we cannot agree why it's illegal. Below the fold is what I am posting in the public forum thread.

!<<remove this line prior to archiving>>! Please see this post for further context. !<<remove this line prior to archiving>>!

*** Official ruling of the Secretariat ***

A majority of us find the proposal as a whole illegal, but since there is no consensus as to why it is illegal based on the three questions in play (that is, no consensus as to what rule it violates), we leave it in the hands of the voters.

Count 1: GAR #2 violation based on "enforcement" provision
  • Legal: Bears Armed, Christian Democrats, Glen-Rhodes, Sciongrad
  • Illegal: Separatist Peoples, Sierra Lyricalia
Count 2: GAR #2 violation based on "investigation" provision
  • Legal: (unanimous)
  • Illegal: (none)
Count 3: Operative Clause Rule violation based on not affecting member state governments, only private entities
  • Legal: Christian Democrats, Glen-Rhodes, Separatist Peoples, Sierra Lyricalia
  • Illegal: Bears Armed, Sciongrad

More detailed opinions forthcoming.
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:28 am

I don't believe I voted on Count 3.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Secretariat Archives