NATION

PASSWORD

[Challenge] WA Peacekeeping Charter

A repository for discussions of the General Assembly Secretariat.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:38 pm

Sciongrad wrote:Sorry for the delayed reply. I join SL's opinion.

Okay, so the opinions should be delivered thus:

Sierra Lyricalia, joined by Separatist Peoples and Sciongrad.
Christian Democrats, joined by Glen-Rhodes, concurring.
Bears Armed, concurring.

The opinions ought to be listed from most popular to least popular with the most popular being the plurality opinion.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:47 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:Sorry for the delayed reply. I join SL's opinion.

Okay, so the opinions should be delivered thus:

Bears Armed, concurring.

The opinions ought to be listed from most popular to least popular with the most popular being the plurality opinion.

We really need to manage a majority and not a plurality this time.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Okay, so the opinions should be delivered thus:

Bears Armed, concurring.

We really need to manage a majority and not a plurality this time.

I agree. If we're going to rule on such a sweeping issue, we really shouldn't have three concurrences and no controlling opinion. It would make more sense to rule on very narrow grounds, otherwise.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:We really need to manage a majority and not a plurality this time.

I agree. If we're going to rule on such a sweeping issue, we really shouldn't have three concurrences and no controlling opinion. It would make more sense to rule on very narrow grounds, otherwise.

In my view, my opinion is the narrowest. :p
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:50 pm

Sciongrad wrote:I agree. If we're going to rule on such a sweeping issue, we really shouldn't have three concurrences and no controlling opinion. It would make more sense to rule on very narrow grounds, otherwise.

In my view, my opinion is the narrowest. :p

It does look to be...I hate to flip flop, but I have no great qualms with any of the suggested opinions, and I'm willing to sign on to one that will avoid the issue of a plurality.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:12 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:In my view, my opinion is the narrowest. :p

It does look to be...I hate to flip flop, but I have no great qualms with any of the suggested opinions, and I'm willing to sign on to one that will avoid the issue of a plurality.

It is possible to sign onto multiple opinions at once.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:21 pm

Not to be a pain... but "shortest" ≠ "narrowest." All of us are in agreement that the particular thing it violates is that it contradicts GAR 2, Article 10, yes? Finding that the nature of that contradiction is military requires, IMO, that we throw out, or at least find a way around, the convention that "if there is an interpretation that a reasonable person could have and find the resolution legal, the [mods, us, whoever] must use that interpretation." CD's opinion ignores the convention entirely; BA's accepts it, then argues as to why it's not sufficient; mine accepts it and moves on to other grounds. It seems to me the "narrowest grounds" are those which don't require us to ignore or circumvent a convention that (I believe) the mods used when this was their job, and that any of us would demand that we follow if it were our work on the line.

TL;dr - despite my lengthy verbiage, I actually believe the "police action = 'actions of the police'" is the narrowest possible grounds to dismiss this resolution.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:39 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Not to be a pain... but "shortest" ≠ "narrowest." All of us are in agreement that the particular thing it violates is that it contradicts GAR 2, Article 10, yes? Finding that the nature of that contradiction is military requires, IMO, that we throw out, or at least find a way around, the convention that "if there is an interpretation that a reasonable person could have and find the resolution legal, the [mods, us, whoever] must use that interpretation." CD's opinion ignores the convention entirely; BA's accepts it, then argues as to why it's not sufficient; mine accepts it and moves on to other grounds. It seems to me the "narrowest grounds" are those which don't require us to ignore or circumvent a convention that (I believe) the mods used when this was their job, and that any of us would demand that we follow if it were our work on the line.

TL;dr - despite my lengthy verbiage, I actually believe the "police action = 'actions of the police'" is the narrowest possible grounds to dismiss this resolution.

I don't reject the convention. I reject your formulation of it. A better formulation: "If a proposal admits of several reasonable interpretations, the Secretariat ought to choose that interpretation on which the proposal is legal."

Application: The WA Peacekeepers' stated goal is preventing and ending armed conflicts. This point is not in dispute. This goal cannot reasonably be reconciled with Resolution 2's prohibition on WA participation in armed conflicts, no matter how many reasonable people try to fool themselves into thinking that it can be so. In text and in purpose, this proposal and Resolution 2 are incompatible.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:31 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Not to be a pain... but "shortest" ≠ "narrowest." All of us are in agreement that the particular thing it violates is that it contradicts GAR 2, Article 10, yes? Finding that the nature of that contradiction is military requires, IMO, that we throw out, or at least find a way around, the convention that "if there is an interpretation that a reasonable person could have and find the resolution legal, the [mods, us, whoever] must use that interpretation." CD's opinion ignores the convention entirely; BA's accepts it, then argues as to why it's not sufficient; mine accepts it and moves on to other grounds. It seems to me the "narrowest grounds" are those which don't require us to ignore or circumvent a convention that (I believe) the mods used when this was their job, and that any of us would demand that we follow if it were our work on the line.

I don't reject the convention. I reject your formulation of it. A better formulation: "If a proposal admits of several reasonable interpretations, the Secretariat ought to choose that interpretation on which the proposal is legal."

Application: The WA Peacekeepers' stated goal is preventing and ending armed conflicts. This point is not in dispute. This goal cannot reasonably be reconciled with Resolution 2's prohibition on WA participation in armed conflicts, no matter how many reasonable people try to fool themselves into thinking that it can be so. In text and in purpose, this proposal and Resolution 2 are incompatible.

I disagree with the underlined portion. The operative clauses within any resolution must override preambulatory embellishment and marketing statements. Here, "prevention of conflict or restoration of peacetime activities" (emphasis added) are advertised; the resolution makes clear its subject force is incapable of being used in a military fashion, and I'm unclear how such a body could work to prevent conflict, while somehow "participating" in it, without some form of military authorization. Such authorization is expressly denied.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're accepting the stated goal uncritically (and even giving it extra force), while dismissing the material roadblocks the resolution itself puts in place against achieving that goal militarily. While this may be a reasonable way to look at it, it is not the only reasonable way.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:55 pm

Again, I have to agree with CD here. There are so many military aspects of this proposal. It's very hard to reconcile the idea of these Peacekeepers -- having been given military-sized mandates-- being described as "preventing and ending conflict" is a violation. That description is binding. It's not a preambulatory clause, but an active one. You have to ignore the phrase "whose goal shall be to prevent and end conflict" to reach the conclusion that the litany of military-related duties can be read as non-military assistance. I just don't agree that you can write a blatantly illegal proposal and tack on "the WA peacekeepers can't do whatever makes the above list of thing illegal" and everything's ok.

Anyways, if we go by this draft procedure (not all of you have voted yet :evil: ), mods would have to choose between SL's and CD's opinions.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:41 am

Do the Mods get a vote in cases like this, where we have a clear majority on the 'Legality/Illegality' question although we disagree about the reasoning? I'd have thought that they'd only get one if we were tied on the basic 'Legality/Illegality' question itself...

Anyway, my opinion is as "final" as it's going to get so as far as I am concerned you can go ahead and post the ruling.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:39 pm

I suppose not. It's unfortunate, though, that authors aren't going to be given any valuable guidance on what Article 10 allows or disallows. We really ought to be able to reach a majority opinion on these issues. We're not helping anybody by giving 3 different competing reasons for why a proposal is illegal.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:37 pm

I agree with SL's reasoning, but I'll sign on with CD's ruling just so that we have a controlling opinion.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:22 am

Sciongrad wrote:I agree with SL's reasoning, but I'll sign on with CD's ruling just so that we have a controlling opinion.

Likewise. This can be considered my final opinion.

Shall we pull the trigger?

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:37 am

Sciongrad wrote:I agree with SL's reasoning, but I'll sign on with CD's ruling just so that we have a controlling opinion.

Likewise. This can be considered my final opinion.

Shall we pull the trigger?

I'll go ahead and do so then.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Secretariat Archives