NATION

PASSWORD

[CHALLENGE] Promoting Research On Life In Foetuses ...

A repository for discussions of the General Assembly Secretariat.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:So Sciongrad is missing . . . can we deliver a 3-2 ruling that this proposal is illegal?

• If a proposal clearly fits into one subcategory more than another subcategory, it should be placed in the former subcategory. A desire to "statwank" does not excuse placing a proposal in a subcategory that is less appropriate.
  • If a proposal does not clearly fit into one subcategory more than another subcategory, the fit must be reasonable.
  • The Research subcategory is, in many ways, the opposite of the Bioethics subcategory. The former subcategory reduces restrictions on medical research or provides additional funding for medical research, whereas the latter subcategory tightens ethical restrictions and, therefore, slows medical research. The Healthcare subcategory facilitates access to ordinary medical services.
  • The "Promoting Research" proposal clearly fits into Research more than Healthcare. It's promoting the development of new treatments rather than facilitating access to treatments that already exist. As submitted, the proposal violates the Category Rule.
IA should not be upset with this result since he basically acknowledged that Research was the proper subcategory.

FWIW, I agree with points 2, 3 & 4 here. However, point no 1 seems to me to be bordering on an "I know it when I see it" standard and I can't support that. Can we come up with some test to try to see just how clearly the fit in one AoE is greater than the fit in another?
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:So Sciongrad is missing . . . can we deliver a 3-2 ruling that this proposal is illegal?

• If a proposal clearly fits into one subcategory more than another subcategory, it should be placed in the former subcategory. A desire to "statwank" does not excuse placing a proposal in a subcategory that is less appropriate.
  • If a proposal does not clearly fit into one subcategory more than another subcategory, the fit must be reasonable.
  • The Research subcategory is, in many ways, the opposite of the Bioethics subcategory. The former subcategory reduces restrictions on medical research or provides additional funding for medical research, whereas the latter subcategory tightens ethical restrictions and, therefore, slows medical research. The Healthcare subcategory facilitates access to ordinary medical services.
  • The "Promoting Research" proposal clearly fits into Research more than Healthcare. It's promoting the development of new treatments rather than facilitating access to treatments that already exist. As submitted, the proposal violates the Category Rule.
IA should not be upset with this result since he basically acknowledged that Research was the proper subcategory.

FWIW, I agree with points 2, 3 & 4 here. However, point no 1 seems to me to be bordering on an "I know it when I see it" standard and I can't support that. Can we come up with some test to try to see just how clearly the fit in one AoE is greater than the fit in another?

Any standard on subcategories will almost inevitably vary from category to category. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any possible bright-line rule for subcategorizing Health proposals, Education and Creativity proposals, Environmental proposals, and Advancement of Industry proposals. As far as generalization goes, the test of "clear fit" provides sufficient guidance in my opinion.

Someone, for example, could write a proposal regulating automobiles and, then, make a semi-sophisticated, jargon-filled argument that, down the line, it would impact all industries. Nonetheless, at its heart, it would still be an Automotive proposal, not All Businesses.

It might be theoretically unsatisfactory to say that "clear fit" is commonsensical, but it is a practical approach. Nobody here has disputed that "Promoting Research" fits better into Research than Healthcare. Unanimity will usually be pretty good evidence of clarity.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:I'll try to write up an opinion soon -- by tomorrow at the latest.

As promised:

“Promoting Research on Life in Foetuses and Embryos” was submitted to the General Assembly on February 27, 2018, as a Health/Healthcare proposal. Three members of the Secretariat voted that the proposal violates the Category Rule because Healthcare is the wrong Area of Effect. Given that the proposal has reached quorum, we today issue a full written opinion, standing by our initial judgment. The proposal is illegal.

“Promoting Research” attempts to improve the health of member state populations by legalizing and promoting embryonic stem cell research and any discoveries that might result therefrom. Doubtless, this proposal belongs in the Health category. What is in dispute in the present case is the proper Area of Effect, or subcategory, whether Healthcare, Research, Bioethics, or International Aid. The purpose of the Healthcare subcategory is to facilitate or expand access to common or ordinary medical services that are already in existence. The Research subcategory reduces restrictions on medical research or provides additional funding for medical research, so new or improved treatments can be developed for future use. The Bioethics subcategory slows medical research or restrains doctors by imposing moral regulations, such as informed consent requirements. International Aid encourages or requires member states to provide medical assistance to one another or to coordinate on health issues of transnational concern.

On at least two previous occasions, the Secretariat has made decisions regarding the Category Rule. In International Aviation Act, we held that a proposal may not be subcategorized as Strong, unless it has a coercive impact on member states. In Trade of Endangered Organisms, we held that the “most noticeable consequence” of a proposal is the primary consideration in determining its category. The Secretariat has not been overbearing in its application of the Category Rule. So far, we have embraced a moderate approach that requires rational categorization; and we have rejected the extreme approach of strict categorization, where every single clause would have to fit the category and subcategory.

Based on our interpretation of the General Assembly Rules and our understanding of precedent, we are convinced that a proposal must be placed in a certain subcategory if it clearly fits into that subcategory more than any other subcategory. On the other hand, if a proposal does not clearly fit into one particular subcategory, the fit must be reasonable. In this case, “Promoting Research” clearly fits into Research. All members of the Secretariat, including the dissenters, hold the view that Research would have been the best subcategory for this proposal. The author’s subjective preference for Healthcare—“I selected healthcare because I like that category more (mostly because of statwank)”—is an unpersuasive argument. “Statwanking” has never been a sufficient justification for choices of category and subcategory.

In light of today’s decision and the recent passage of Resolution 425, Protection of Biomedical Research, the Secretariat anticipates that the author will abandon this proposal or else substantially revise it. Thus, we do not reach other legality concerns, expressed by several member states, arising under the Duplication Rule and the Contradiction Rule.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:46 pm

Looks good to me. I would make one small change at the end of the fourth paragraph:

“Statwanking” has never been a proper sufficient justification for choices of category and subcategory.

I join.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:34 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Looks good to me. I would make one small change at the end of the fourth paragraph:

“Statwanking” has never been a proper sufficient justification for choices of category and subcategory.

I join.

I might not use the term statwanking. I might use the term statistical effects. Statwanking has a pretty informal and negative connotation.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:24 am

The author himself used the word "statwank" to describe his primary motivation for selecting the AoE. I don't think we're out of line to quote him on that.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Looks good to me. I would make one small change at the end of the fourth paragraph:

I join.

I would prefer that change as well.
Anyway, i join.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Small change made, and opinion delivered:

viewtopic.php?p=33608961#p33608961

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Sep, do you have dissent language you want / have time to add to this? Minus that, this thread is due for archiving.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:41 pm

My dissent:

I respectfully disagree with my colleauges. Per prior rulings in which I dissented, I believe strict application of category and subcategory choices second-guesses authors and ignores the possibility that more than one appropriate option. Imposing a best choice rule involves GenSec into judgment calls about the most appropriate category, which in turn invites more Challenges. This is not in the community's best interest.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Secretariat Archives