NATION

PASSWORD

An Exchange (Attn: Kaymiril)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

An Exchange (Attn: Kaymiril)

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:38 pm

Northrop-Grumman 04-10-2006 10:33
In past years, leaving for the University of Wilmington was never that large of an event for Alakantar O’Neill and his family. For the Corporation’s advances in instant teleportation and other high-speed forms of communications and transport made the four thousand mile distance between the university and his home almost negligible. If he wanted to visit his parents, they were only a few seconds away through the teleportation systems of the military spacecraft overhead or if he didn’t want to go through that much trouble, a simple communication link using three dimensional holograms could be used.

But this time as Alakantar was preparing to leave for the university in Kaymiril, far from his home in Northrop-Grumman, the atmosphere in the shuttle bay was different than earlier departures, sadder as a matter of fact. His parents, the Vice Chairman, and their advisor stood before him with somber expressions as the rear door of the puddlejumper lowered and struck the metal plated floor behind him.

The first to approach him was his mother who reached up and kissed him on the cheek as a tear ran down her face. “Goodbye, Alak,” she said, shakily. “Call us when you settle in so that we know you’re alright.”

He nodded, smiling. “I will.”

The next was his father who shook his hand firmly. “Good luck out there, son. Don’t get into any trouble. Make sure that keep up with the work. And always have your eyes open and alert…” He paused briefly and grinned. “…because I know there’s got to be plenty of women out there for ya.”

“Jack!” his wife yelled, elbowing him in the side.

Jack jumped to the side and looked at both his wife and son. “What?! Its college, Siri! You know…’go forth young man and partake in the bounties the world has provided’.”

Siri said nothing to her husband as the Vice Chairman, Shiran Naelthasser, spoke up. “Moving on...Alakantar, I hope that your stay in Kaymiril goes well for you and that you learn much there. Though, I do suggest that you take notes of what their culture is like so that we all can see what you have seen, and so that you will have something to look back upon and remember. Good luck and Godspeed.” He bowed his head to the young Drow.

“Thank you, uncle,” he replied, returning the bow.

Finally, the advisor, Ire’arra Aleanrahel, spoke softly in a strange, cryptic manner. “I bid you farewell, young Alakantar, and I wish to impart these words to you: choose wisely where you will place your trust for the Serpent will protect life, but with its talons the Hawk will snatch it up.”

Raising an eyebrow, Alakantar stared at the advisor, unsure of what to make of this advice that was given. All that could leave his mouth was, “Ummm…ok…I…erm…will keep that in mind. Thank you.” Then, he turned from her and began to climb the ramp for the puddlejumper. “Goodbye everyone.”

The family waved farewell to him as the ramp lifted up and closed behind him, pressurizing the cabin within. Soon, the shuttle lifted off of the deck and cruised upwards through the open metal doors in the ceiling into the sky and later space.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The long flight to Kaymiril was largely uneventful for the young Drow, but he did find the peace and quiet to be quite enjoyable for him as he piloted the puddlejumper through space. But it was not all that difficult to fly the small vessel so he found extra time to relax some and jot down a few things in a simple datapad, which was going to be used as a journal that he was planning on keeping up to date during his stay here.

Part of the trip through, he accidentally fell asleep in one of the plush pilots’ chairs, only to be awakened by the frantic beeping of the console in front of him. Groggily, he groaned and rubbed his eyes to see the display before him clearly.

“Well,” he mumbled as he read the screen. “That was faster than I expected.”

Apparently he was now in Kaymirilian space and decided that now would be an excellent time to transmit a simple text message to his host family.
Code: Select all
<::Transmission Sent – Corporate Jumper One::>
<::Priority Code Alpha::>
<::Begin Transmission::>

My vessel is currently in Kaymirilian space, and
I wish for a place to land. Can you please suggest
a location?

-Alakantar O’Neill
<::End Transmission::>

Kaymiril 04-10-2006 13:44
At the same moment his request was sent, Alakantar was sent a message.
Sender: Albera Province
Kestal Residence.

Vendui', Alakantar. You will find a place to land your craft two miles due south of the location this transmission has been sent from. Specific coordinates are provided as well.

You will be met by Jaril d' Kestal upon your arrival.

Bwael al, lu'eth al'doer.

Jaril stood in the open field, just in front of the landing site.

There were five small craft here, and room for many more. Alakantar had been assigned the place his sister's craft had occupied...she was currently Ambassador to Gronde.

It had been a month since he'd spoken to the foreign Drow, and he was looking forward to meeting him face to face, helping him adjust to his society, and learning as much as possible about the Corporation before he went off to study there.

Soon, now. Very soon.

Northrop-Grumman 04-10-2006 14:26
Upon reception of the transmission, Alakantar sent a confirmation reply and quickly programmed the coordinates into the vessel’s intricate autopilot system. With its fast computations, the system began to calculate the distance and flight path that it needed to land, and only after a second, the vessel changed its course setting and banked slightly to the right and downward into the planet’s atmosphere.

In the skies overhead, a small tan cylindrical shuttlecraft plummeted through the clouds, continuing its route to the landing site. Luckily for the young Drow, this vessel had the inertial dampeners that kept the ride for him comfortable and greatly negated the G forces that the exterior was facing, unlike some of the older models of fightercraft that he sometimes flew which lacked such a system.

Soon though, the shuttle leveled and came to a halt over the open spot next to the other craft. It then disengaged its primary propulsion systems and powered its landing thrusters up. Down it moved until the bottom struck the ground with a low thump. Almost instantly, the rear hatch unlocked and lowered as a drawbridge, revealing Alakantar standing with a large hard suitcase in his grasp.

Kaymiril 04-10-2006 21:42
Jaril was dressed in silks that flowed easily around him in the breeze, and his hair -- half tied back to keep it out of his face -- hung to about shoulder-length.

A magnificent silver bird with exceptionally long plumage hopped from his shoulder as Alakantar stepped out, and glided over to the other Drow, changing forms into a flat metal sheet.

"Please, place whatever you may have brought with you on my Gul, Grace. She'll take it all up to the house, and we will walk."

Jaril had approached in the mean time, and made the slight bow with the spreading arms customary to his culture.

"Gre'as'anto lueth verve dro, Alakantar O'Neill d' Aleanrahel. It is a pleasure to welcome you to the d' Kestal Residence."

Northrop-Grumman 04-10-2006 21:43
Similar to Jaril, Alakantar’s hair was kept at a modest shoulder length. But it was not tied back in any such way and freely blew along with the wind that swirled around him. Though, any more similarities to the other Drow were quickly disregarded when one examined his clothing. Denim jeans, a blue-green button-up shirt, and black sneakers gave the impression that he was one who had been influenced heavily by the primarily human society in which he lived. Of course, little did anyone know, this was what he typically wore when going to college and didn’t even think about changing into something different.

When the flat metal sheet appeared before him, Alakantar carefully placed the large suitcase upon it and stepped over to Jaril who greeted him. He was a little surprised at the name by which he was called as it definitely longer, more cumbersome to speak than before, and made his usual last name irrelevant, but he figured that it was something he would have to get used to and ran it through his mind several times before replying to Jaril.

He fumbled over the pronunciation of the words at first but finally got it sounding as it should. “Gre'as'anto lueth verve dro, Jaril d' Kestal. It certainly is a pleasure to be here.”

Kaymiril 04-10-2006 21:43
Jaril chuckled.

"We'll speak in common for your benefit for about a day before going back to Drow. Go on, Grace."

The Gul bobbed, then started moving forward.

Jaril shook his head.

"Pretty, that sort, but it's almost faster to walk than use them."

Northrop-Grumman 04-10-2006 22:45
Watching the Gul move away from them, Alakantar pondered for a moment about the first unique thing he had just seen in Kaymiril and compared it to his own homeland that seemed to be vastly different. Nodding his head slightly, he commented to Jaril.

“I agree with you. They are pretty…but it kinda makes me wonder why don’t you all just use something motorized, like what we use…a truck or something built specifically for that purpose...could make things easier, faster, and more efficient in the long run…”

Kaymiril 05-10-2006 00:57
Jaril raised his eyebrows, beginning the walk home.

"Oh, there are faster versions of the original design, but I've had Grace for...xhaos, a good seventy years now. She's like a pet...I couldn't just discard her. Ever had a pet that you brought with you wherever you went, kept you out of trouble, helped you get into trouble? Well, that's what Grace is for me, only she's also a mode of transport, and in emergencies she can move at a decent speed...and she's a communication device and can locate the other members of my family."

He let the vivant variance of his family's land display itself for Alakantar's eyes. Along with the greens, there were brilliant reds, yellows, and purples, and even little blue plants here and there.

"Aside from that, a Qu'ess came up with the proto design before we even had contact with the outside world. These are Kaymirilian, just as I am Kaymirilian, just as every plant you trod upon as we travel to my ancestral home is Kaymirilian. The stones that constructed its foundations were Kaymirilian, the air you breathe is Kaymirilian. And it is GLORIOUS." His hands had risen into the air, and he let them drop.

"You see you’re more technologically advanced ways as superior, and I like our magickally advanced ways. I will not call them superior...but I will call them familiar. These constructs are in alignment with Kaymiril's cultural fiber...and why mar that with trucks, and roads for trucks? What would happen to our beautiful homeland?"

Northrop-Grumman 05-10-2006 14:16
Alakantar gazed out across the lands that surrounded him, admiring and taking in its untouched splendor as he considered Jaril’s words.

“You’re right,” he replied. “And now that I think about it, it definitely would destroy your homeland and its culture, because one thing I have learned…although it’s hard to get into that mindset…is that each society has a certain way it functions and if something is changed within or newly introduced, then that society loses its stability and could very well crumble. Something that works for one, does not always work for the other.

I could use this transportation difference as an example…yes, it would destroy your homeland and way of life if it were introduced, but at the same time, it’s what Northrop-Grumman has to have for it to function. We could never use your magickally constructed designs because it simply wouldn’t be feasible for an urban and highly industrialized society such as ours. We need subways, freight trains, tractor-trailers, and other cargo transports to move materials in and out from factories, businesses, and homes with relative ease and efficiency.”

Kaymiril 05-10-2006 14:27
Jaril nodded, although Alakantar would receive many surprises, even before he left.

Kaymiril had a high level of trade and manufacturing, and there were established methods of transport.

"Different cultural values. Now...dressed like that, you're going to stick out like a darait plant among a field of seris. We can make a trip out to the borders of this province this week to get you fitted for clothes that are the normal around here, with your family's ensign embroidered on them."

Northrop-Grumman 05-10-2006 14:48
Alakantar tugged at his shirt slightly as he glanced down at the clothes he had on. Then he peered over what Jaril was wearing and sighed a little.

“Eh, yeah, that would be nice, considering with what I am wearing, I don’t exactly look like I fit in that well here with the rather…human-looking…clothes. I guess I am just used to wearing this all the time at home and college…erm…well, anyways, I’m up to getting that taken care of.”

Kaymiril 05-10-2006 14:50
"There's no shame in being from where you're from...but it was my understanding that you wanted to know more about us. I believe my older sister Seliphe is soon going to get her clothes made for the upcoming term...and I should probably add some human-style clothes to my wardrobe, if I am to live among your people for the next year."

Northrop-Grumman 05-10-2006 15:03
He shook his head. “No, I’m not really shameful. It’s just that it’s going to take some time to get used to the differences and all. Honestly, this is my first time living outside of Northrop-Grumman so it’s an adjustment.”

Chuckling a little to Jaril’s last statement, he added, smiling. “Yeah, seriously, what you have on really won’t work that well for a college student in my homeland. You need something that can take a beating and then some. Like what I have on is good for running to class through the rains, snow, and other crap we get hit with on campus and besides, you would look as out of place as I am here.”

Kaymiril 05-10-2006 15:05
He chuckled.

"This was designed to take a beating. Spider silk, specially woven and enchanted. We get into trouble at school."

He held out his sleeve -- he'd worn an outfit he was wearing while he'd been attacked once for a reason. There was a slight tear running along the mid fore-arm.

"This is all that happened when someone tried to slice my arm off. Be wary of the Aresta family and the Novari family...depicted respectively by a Hawk and a Rat."

Northrop-Grumman 05-10-2006 15:14
A Hawk… Alakantar pondered this for a moment, recalling Ire’arra’s words of advice from earlier and wondering if that was what she was truly referring to or perhaps she was sprouting her usual cryptic sayings. He decided to shelve that thought for just the moment and inquire further into what Jaril was talking about.

“Damn, what reason would they have to do that?”

Kaymiril 05-10-2006 15:17
"Our families have been at odds for many centuries now. My death would provoke my father to attack, which would in turn lead to Valshanthi interference or civil war. Either way, at least one of the top two Houses in Kaymiril would be upset and the balance of power would be thrown into chaos, letting a new order take its place. More than half of all the top Houses like the present order as it is, and about eighty percent of the rest of the population."

Northrop-Grumman 05-10-2006 15:29
“That’s a pretty delicate situation that you all have there in my opinion. One wrong or I could say…depending on the person involved…perfect move and suddenly chaos unfolds…its kinda hard for me to imagine that,” he stated. “Well…you don’t have to worry about anyone trying to kill you or anything like that in Northrop-Grumman just because of who you are. But a word of advice for when you do go there: stay away from making any religious statements or you will wind up getting in the middle of a fight. It’s touchy right now.”

Kaymiril 05-10-2006 15:34
"Good to know. I'll be sure to avoid it...I'm not much of a fighter."

He grinned. "I'd be dead a couple of times if Cousin Eya hadn't shown up. Eyarayin d' Drasdera...I don't think you'll meet her, she's off at war presently, no telling when she'll be back. She has the most convenient timing of anyone I've ever met."

Northrop-Grumman 05-10-2006 20:08
Alakantar chuckled some. “Sounds like you have a ‘guardian angel’ to keep watch over you. That can be rather nice when you’re in a tight jam. You ought to be thankful that she’s around especially from what you tell me goes on around here.”

Kaymiril 05-10-2006 20:11
"I wouldn't know about guardian angel...Cousin Eya's brutal. Lightning fast, too...much like her House's Emblem."

Northrop-Grumman 05-10-2006 20:16
“Very nice.” Then he raised an eyebrow and asked, “By the way, out of curiosity, what’s her house’s emblem? It's seems Kaymirilian Houses have a great variety of them.”

Kaymiril 05-10-2006 20:18
"Different emblem for every House, Greater and Lesser, although many of them run similar. Drasdera's emblem is the Great Serpent...you find a good many of them in Chalin, which is the province they rule over."

Northrop-Grumman 05-10-2006 22:24
…and a Serpent His eyes widened at the thought of the second portion of the advice becoming clear to him. Protecting life....Jaril’s cousin protected his life…but how does all of this work together? Why has she told me all of this? Alakantar pondered it in his mind as he inquired even further, hoping to find some answers.

“Drasdera…what are they like? Nice folks or what?”

Kaymiril 05-10-2006 22:28
"Nice? Only in that they'll only kill in the line of duty. Cross one, you'll WISH they could kill you, though...They don't speak much, and when they do, you listen. I've never been more afraid of anyone than I as of my Great Aunt Streea when she issued a reprimand. They're our military family. Trained in strategy and combat from literally their first day. Highly disciplined...and they have this underlying hostility...only family they won't lash out at if they're angered by them is the Maril House, and that's ONLY because they swore loyalty to them...and each matron reaffirms that at her mother's death."

He glanced at the Drow youth beside him.

"But, as I said, her siblings are graduated, and she's at war, so you shouldn't really have to worry about her. Why the sudden curiosity?"

Northrop-Grumman 06-10-2006 15:55
Alakantar truly did not want to go into great detail about a particularly odd ten thousand year old former Valsharess that he knew who had given him cryptic advice about creatures that may or may not be true or even relevant to what he was doing here. But instead of going into detail, he merely shrugged.

“Eh, just wondering…all this is rather new to me and considering how deadly this place can be, I’d like to know more about the Houses and all so I know who is who. Don’t exactly want to get myself caught up in something I don’t know about.”

Kaymiril 06-10-2006 15:56
"Trust me, we'll be going over that in detail. Most houses won't even look twice at you, after seeing an unfamiliar Emblem embroidered into your clothes...but there are two that might try to defy the Valsharess and kill a foreigner, and maybe two more that would try because you are staying with us. My sisters Seliphe and Balais will be attending the university next year as well, so you won't be completely alone. Seliphe is about 190, and Balais is only 150."

Northrop-Grumman 06-10-2006 15:56
“Well…that still is four Houses that could be going after me. Not exactly the most optimistic thing to think about as I just got here, and I am definitely not used to it at all…” He sighed and continued. “…but this is a different culture, and I need to understand how everything works and keep my eye out for these things." Then he glanced over to Jaril. "I am indeed glad that you’re going to help me with that.”

Kaymiril 06-10-2006 15:57
"It's a matter of education, really...which is why it's best you aren't just pushed into our culture. And it's four houses...no...the other two don't have anyone attending this term. So, two houses, out of about fifty...and then you're not counting the Scholar lines...probably another six dozen families represented there. Maybe three people that MIGHT try to go for you. You a swordsman at all?"

Northrop-Grumman 06-10-2006 15:57
Alakantar nodded. “Yeah, I am, fairly decent, I guess. I’ve been training at it for most of my life and get by pretty well back at home, but I am unsure about it here since Kaymiril seems to be way more centered around swordplay than we are…I wasn’t planning on coming armed. Though after my mother’s continued prodding, I did bring my longsword and a few knives with me. They’re in the suitcase, right now.”

Kaymiril 06-10-2006 15:59
"Good, you'll be able to defend yourself."

Jaril walked a few more paces, then stopped abruptly.

"If you can summon your weapons. You aren't allowed to carry them openly, or conceal them on your person."

Northrop-Grumman 06-10-2006 16:04
“Damn,” Alakantar cursed. “I can’t summon them or really anything else. Levitation? Sure…but that’s about it.” He stopped and realized his problem. “I’m kinda limited in my options, aren’t I?”
Kaymiril
06-10-2006 16:05
"The options stand as 'risk getting skewered' or 'learn how to call your weapons to you.'"

The young An'shalla nodded.

"Yes, your options are limited."

Northrop-Grumman 06-10-2006 16:09
“I figured,” he mumbled. “But if it all possible, I’d like to learn since I’d rather have at least a chance to defend myself in case something happens.”

Kaymiril 06-10-2006 16:10
"We can teach you. My brother Terin will be home for the foreseeable future, and he's the one that taught me."

Northrop-Grumman 08-10-2006 16:51
Alakantar nodded, smiling. “Excellent. I will be looking forward to that.”

“By the way…I’ve been wondering. What exactly is learned at the university?”

Kaymiril 08-10-2006 16:54
"It's more an exercise of learning how to deal with other nobles than it is learning any of the material," explained the young nobleman.

"But history and literature are taught, as are mathematics, strategy, and music...and more recently, foreign cultures."

Northrop-Grumman 08-10-2006 17:04
“Sounds a little different from what I’m used to,” he replied. “Over in Northrop-Grumman, the universities really do not teach you how to interact with other people, except in for some fields. It’s more designed to prepare you for what line of work…a career…you intend to enter.”

Kaymiril 08-10-2006 17:06
"We've all been raised to accept our careers when we come of age. But the peace in Kaymiril is a very fragile thing, so we learn who our enemies truly are, who are friends truly are, and how to keep that fragile balance best."

Northrop-Grumman 08-10-2006 17:21
Alakantar raised his eyebrows. “I tell you…your society is incredibly complex in how it works, the balance that you must maintain, the house system, the way the university functions….but nevertheless, it’s pretty fascinating to me.”

Kaymiril 08-10-2006 20:37
"Be glad we aren't Lolthian. There, if you irritated one of the females, you could be executed on the spot."

Northrop-Grumman 08-10-2006 22:20
“So Kaymiril is like a walk in the park compared to that?” He chuckled. “Good thing your nation isn’t like that. I think I’d be executed rather quickly, considering I have a habit of asking way too many questions…at least, that’s what I’m told.”

Kaymiril 08-10-2006 22:22
"Hmm...likely not."

Jaril chuckled. "Ussta abbil...in the Underdark, an inquisitive male was a threat. You'd not have made it past the time you could talk."

Northrop-Grumman 08-10-2006 22:35
“Definitely glad I didn’t grow up there…or I should say, more accurately, born there.”

Alakantar smiled and looked towards Jaril. “Hopefully, your people are more tolerant of someone like me…Honestly, I am fairly inquisitive, but that’s just because I love to learn about new things.”

Kaymiril 08-10-2006 22:37
"If we weren't, we would still be the Underdark."

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Re: An Exchange (Attn: Kaymiril)

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Northrop-Grumman 09-10-2006 14:55
“Whew…that’s good then.” Alakantar released a sigh and relaxed some as he reached into his pocket, pulling out a small black device with a flipping lid that he immediately handed over to Jaril

“This is a cell phone, a communications device that we still use. It cannot work at all here in Kaymiril, but once you get into Northrop-Grumman, it may help you in case you are in a bind. In order to use it, just flip the lid open and press one of the three listings upon the screen. It should automatically start dialing and all you need to do is hold it to the side of your head and talk. Simple as that.”

He paused for a moment before he continued. “Oh yeah, in case you’re wondering. Each of the numbers corresponds to one of the three Grummian leaders. If you’re having a problem with the university or something dealing with laws, rules, and regulations, call Vice Chairman Naelthasser. If you need help with everyday matters, like transportation and money, or even serious matters like needing to get home quickly, call my father, Chairman O’Neill. And finally, if you’re having problem with security and really need it dealt swiftly and harshly, call my mother, Chairwoman O’Neill. It will generally be taken care of in seconds.”

Kaymiril 09-10-2006 17:12
Jaril looked at the little contraption, his eyebrows coming together over his nose.

"Wait...what exactly does this thing do?"

Northrop-Grumman 09-10-2006 17:23
“This cell phone is essentially a communications device, rather primitive by some nation’s standards as it only handles voices. But basically what it does is it transmits your voice through the phone to a receiver/transmitter antenna on top of a tower or a building where it is then sent through data cables to another receiver/transmitter. There it transmits it to the other person’s cell phone so that they can hear your voice. It does this back and forth between the two phones almost instantaneously.”

He chuckled. “It’s a little complex, I know.”

Kaymiril 09-10-2006 17:28
"I think I understand. Grace..."

He looked to his shoulder, then chuckled. "Never mind, Grace."

The Gul had turned to look at him.

"So, what are these listings for?"

Northrop-Grumman 09-10-2006 17:32
“Each one of those listings contains a number that is unique for that person’s cell phone. When you select that listing, you will talk to that person and only that person, no one else until you select another. Lucky, all three of those are labeled so you do not have to remember any numbers and instead just select which person you want to talk to.”

Kaymiril 09-10-2006 17:37
"Ah. And this is for my use while in your nation?"

Northrop-Grumman 09-10-2006 17:40
Alakantar nodded. “Yeah, it’s just in case you need help with something while you’re there. At any given time, at least one of those three listings should be available. If one doesn't work, try the next.”

Kaymiril 09-10-2006 17:43
"Bella' dos."

Jaril took the box and twirled it thoughtfully.

"I will try and avoid bothering your parents or Vice Chairman as much as is possible. We will get you one of our communication devices while in town as well...perhaps an Oreb or an AEagle...they're the only types you're allowed at school."

Northrop-Grumman 09-10-2006 18:31
“Sounds good,” he replied, nodding his head. “Are they fairly easy to use or are they like our cell phones, a bit complex?”

Kaymiril 09-10-2006 22:25
"You have to order them into a particular form to communicate, and they only know to call others that they've been near before. You just tell them to contact a certain person or that person's machine, and they will."

Northrop-Grumman 10-10-2006 17:03
“Interesting….it will probably be something that I have to learn how to use. It’s not exactly the flip, press a button, and talk routine that I’m used to doing with my cell.”

Kaymiril 10-10-2006 18:35
"A verbal command or two. You get used to it and then you won't even think about it."

Northrop-Grumman 10-10-2006 18:37
"Ah, alright, I think that'll work out fine."

He pondered for a moment before asking, "Is there anything I ought to have so I can settle in around here?"

Kaymiril 10-10-2006 18:40
"Any...thing? You ask the wrong questions. We will provide you clothing to help you look more like us, and a glider that you may speak with us, but we are not an incredibly materialistic culture. What you need most to help you settle in here is an open attitude, a willingness to learn, and a motivation to work hard."

Northrop-Grumman 10-10-2006 19:19
“Oh…erm…ok,” was all that could leave his mouth at this point. He knew that he had asked the wrong questions but what did he know? His society revolved around the materialistic where one was expected to have a car, cell phone, house, and other things to function in it. This was all entirely new for him and it would take some time to readjust his thinking, that was for sure.

For a moment or two, he paused before he even attempted to speak again. “I think I can handle that.”

Kaymiril 10-10-2006 19:55
"Good. I know that by your cultural standpoint, your questions are apt. So perhaps I should turn the question to you. What will I need to function in your society?"

Northrop-Grumman 10-10-2006 20:31
“Well...one of my first concerns was clothing that will help you to fit in there but you had said you will get that taken care of soon so that’s not an issue anymore…Communications are taken care of with the cell that I gave you…so really most of what you will need, my parents will provide for you when you get there…like maps of the major cities of Northrop-Grumman downloaded into a datapad for easy reference.”

He chuckled. “Yes, our cities are quite large, overly complex, and tend to be very confusing to visitors, at least when one drives through the one-way streets…but the subways and just plain walking simplify that to some degree. Out of curiosity, have you had any experience driving automobiles like we have?”

Kaymiril 10-10-2006 20:33
"Never...they seem so...volatile. I'll have Grace with me, though, and if I modify her somewhat, she should be able to keep up with traffic."

Northrop-Grumman 10-10-2006 20:45
Alakantar looked warily at Jaril. “I highly recommend that you don’t try that. If you were ever struck by another car, the results could be rather…erm…gruesome. It would be like a fully loaded eighteen-wheeled truck crushing a sports car, definitely not pretty to look at and you will not get out of that alive.”

Knowing that the other Drow would not fully understand the analogy, he tried for another. “Think of crushing some cute little furry animal under your spacecraft…it's like that.”

Kaymiril 10-10-2006 20:47
Jaril chuckled.

"I'll be able to hear them coming, even if I cannot see them. I have been on other nations' subterranean trains, and have found that it does not sit well with me to be under ground. I suppose I could walk, but that does not work well for great distances."

Northrop-Grumman 10-10-2006 21:01
“You could use taxis to get around the city, if need be, and for traveling long distances, you have your choice of aircraft, spacecraft, high-speed trains…that are aboveground…or even stargates. So really, transportation is pretty much covered for you.”

Kaymiril 10-10-2006 21:03
Jaril laughed.

"Your world seems so complex."

Northrop-Grumman 10-10-2006 21:20
“It can be. But once you get used it all, you’ll think nothing of its complexity.”

Alakantar smiled. “But moving back onto the topic of things that you need…the last two things I think that you will definitely need is money and our national ID card, which the former is electronically deposited into a bank account that is accessed through the latter. Both will be set up for you once you arrive there.”

Kaymiril 10-10-2006 21:24
"Money is no issue, we are the Second House. A national I.D. card...those things can be trouble, depending."

Northrop-Grumman 10-10-2006 21:56
Before he answered, Alakantar dug through his pocket and pulled out a thin transparent card, holding it up in the air to allow the sun to shine through it. Printed across the top was his name, “Alakantar Aleanrahel O’Neill”, followed by a small digital picture below it. Embedded within the card and still easily seen by the naked eye were microchips containing all of the information needed for life in the Grummian society.

“This card contains your driver’s license, credit card accounts, debit card accounts, security clearances, university identification…basically anything that you will need. Encoded within those microchips that you see is all my personal information, including medical records, school records, and even DNA. Fortunately, none of that can be accessed without the correct equipment and a connection to the main computer database within the capital building.”

Kaymiril 10-10-2006 22:01
"...Interesting."

Xaos, this sounds like a headache.

Northrop-Grumman 10-10-2006 22:09
He slid the card back into his pocket and politely asked, “Do you have any questions or concerns about it?”

Kaymiril 10-10-2006 22:22
"Will I need to bring my medical records to your planet?"

Northrop-Grumman 11-10-2006 12:39
Shaking his head, Alakantar replied, “No, in your case, I don’t think that you’ll need to, unless you have a serious medical condition that we need to know about. Otherwise, if you need to be treated for something in Northrop-Grumman then only that will appear on your records, not anything from before.”

Kaymiril 11-10-2006 22:24
"Very well, then. You will need to have medical records sent to the Temple at Mithdelmar if you have any serious medical conditions."

Northrop-Grumman 11-10-2006 22:45
“Alright, that’s fine. I don’t think that there will be any problems with that…besides, I do not have a serious medical condition, thankfully.”

Kaymiril 11-10-2006 22:48
"If you do happen to become ill while here, you won't have to worry...I've never run across a better healthcare system than we have. Speaking of medicine...how capable are your nation's doctors when dealing with Drow?"

Northrop-Grumman 11-10-2006 22:58
“Ehhh…it really depends on where you go. If you’re in the capital city or around the University of Wilmington, the doctors are fairly decent since they’ve been dealing with me for about twenty-two years. But elsewhere, they really don’t have a clue, honestly.” He sighed. “If it’s something really serious, my parents’ advisor, Ire’arra, or even my mother could heal you using her…odd…ways.”

Kaymiril 11-10-2006 23:13
"Twenty-two years?"

The rest of the other Drow's words were lost to Jaril...he couldn't believe the extreme youth of Alakantar -- he looked of about the same (equivalent) age as Jaril himself.

Northrop-Grumman 11-10-2006 23:23
Alakantar chuckled at the response from Jaril for he had nearly forgotten that he was different in some aspects to the Kaymirilian Drow and most others. It was nothing truly bad though, but it did raise questions, just like what was being asked here.

“Yeah," he replied. "To make a really long story short…about ten thousand years ago, my people were genetically manipulated by a civilization that was more advanced than we were. So basically after that happened, we were able to mature faster, roughly on the same level as a human.”

Kaymiril 11-10-2006 23:27
"Xaos...capitalist cultures and their desire for swift productivity over the sanity of someone else. One would think they would desire to increase their lifespans to match ours."

Northrop-Grumman 11-10-2006 23:35
“Well, they actually lived quite long in comparison to the modern human and even evolved to the point of ‘ascending’…meaning they shed their bodies and became as energy on a higher plane of existence.” And once again, he began to ramble on like an encyclopedia...

Kaymiril 11-10-2006 23:37
Jaril held up his hand to forestall the onslaught.

"At peace, ussta abbil. I am certain I will hear this many times in your nation."

Northrop-Grumman 11-10-2006 23:40
He stopped suddenly, getting the hint that he was talking way too much. “Oh…erm…alright…well, you’ll hear of it every now and then…but not so much about my ancestors though unless you ask the right people.”

Kaymiril 11-10-2006 23:46
"I've no doubts I can find that with a little work. Ah, we are in sight of the House. Look up."

A massive house stood at the top of the crest just ahead...up to that point, it had not been visible, protected by wards.

It was made of local stone, and a stream even passed through it...and had been directed to cascade back into its path from the roof of the house. The building gleamed, standing proud. It looked Roman in design, although it had more a sense of grace and less of grandeur...more fragile than the human, more solid than the Elven, curving in places, beautiful, welcoming.

There was enough space in the d' Kestal House for a dozen individual families to live comfortably.

"Over two hundred rooms, three internal courtyards, and much more besides."

Northrop-Grumman 12-10-2006 13:43
As he gazed upon the structure, Alakantar was filled with awe at the sight that lay before him. In his eyes, the house rivaled all others that he had seen in his homeland and abroad through its size, elegance, and beauty. Even as the son of the Grummian leaders, he had never lived in anything this large. Most of his life was spent in a little ranch house that had only two bedrooms, and after that had been destroyed some time ago, his parents’ new house, an old Dersconi mansion, was still under renovation with most of its rooms closed off after all these centuries and others ripped apart due to construction. So that left the family with only a few rooms that they could actually use and, in some aspects, worse off than they had been before.

“It’s magnificent,” he commented. “I must say, your people sure do know how to build great-looking houses.”

Kaymiril 12-10-2006 14:13
"It rivals the Valshanth in splendor, if not size. We have several families living under our roof...some of my father's brothers and male cousins, and two of my older brothers, as well as my father's family."

Northrop-Grumman 12-10-2006 14:24
He whistled at the other Drow's words. "Whew! That's a lot of people living under one roof...I imagine that it could be rather chaotic...How do you manage to keep everything straight?"

Kaymiril 12-10-2006 14:30
"It's about twice as big as it looks, and divided into wings. Each family claims a wing, and then there is a larger wing for all the servants, and another for the guard. That's ten wings taken up, and we have sixteen. Six see very little use, actually. Your rooms are situated in the main wing."

Northrop-Grumman 12-10-2006 14:40
Ohhh...alri..." He stopped suddenly as his eyes widened. "Wait...you did say 'rooms' as in more than one, plural of 'room'...right?

Kaymiril 12-10-2006 14:41
"Three, to be precise. One for bathing, one for sleeping, and one for working and reading. We could add a fourth, I suppose, if you desire a separate room in which to meditate."

Northrop-Grumman 12-10-2006 14:43
"Three rooms...three is more than enough. It's actually more than I'm used to, especially at home. There, I just have a bedroom and take showers in the bathroom that everyone else in the family uses."

Kaymiril 12-10-2006 14:45
"In our home, married couples share one bathing chamber, and so do young children of any given family. After they become old enough to have a room of their own, they get a bathing chamber as well. You should find it comfortable."

Northrop-Grumman 12-10-2006 15:03
“Sounds like it,” Alakantar replied, nodding. “I can say that it’s definitely an improvement over both home and college.” He then turned to Jaril and smiled. “I think I’m gonna like it here.”

Kaymiril 12-10-2006 15:07
"We hope you will."

Northrop-Grumman 12-10-2006 22:01
He nodded. “And I think you’ll like Northrop-Grumman too. It's different but it's a good kind of different."

Kaymiril 12-10-2006 22:07
"Of this I have no doubts."

They ascended up the steps to the door.

"No one can enter but those who know the word," Jaril explained to Alakantar.

"So remember it when I say it."

He then turned to the door. "Nt'jamaash."

It opened, showing a spacious and uncluttered entrance, in which one could fit several average Northrop-Grummian houses.

At the other end of the room there was a figure standing facing the window into the first courtyard. Great arching wings met in a point over his head, and his tail rested on the ground. His white hair was tied back in the same manner Jaril's was, and he did not turn to speak with the two in the entry way.

"Terin."

At that he turned, revealing green eyes -- a colder green than Jaril's -- with the vertical slit of a reptile.

He stepped forward. "Greetings, Alakantar d' Aleanrahel. I am Terin d' Kestal...we have been expecting you."

Northrop-Grumman 13-10-2006 13:50
Nt'jamaash. Nt'jamaash. Nt'jamaash. Nt'jamaash. So that he would not forget such an important thing, Alakantar continuously repeated the words over and over as he followed Jaril into the house.

Upon his entrance, he stopped near the doorway and allowed his eyes to slowly move around the room, taking in the environment which he was in. He found it to be quite nice by his standards, spacious, and certainly inviting. But his eyes stopped halfway through the room and gazed upon this strange figure standing in front of the window. Raising an eyebrow in curiosity, he thought, What the hell is that? and almost wanted to repeat the same question out loud.

Then upon hearing the name from Jaril, he was even more curious and now confused. Terin? Jaril’s brother? How? Not being the one who had a very good poker face for anything, even his facial expressions now displayed confusion. But when Terin greeted him, he still managed to reply fairly calmly. “Ah, greetings, Terin. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

Kaymiril 13-10-2006 14:07
Seeing Alakantar's confusion and discomfort, Terin grinned, revealing two razor-edge, pointed fangs that extended almost to his lower gums. The bottom fangs were much shorter.

"Yes, I am Terin d' Kestal. My father was a dragon, Tellryon, I believe he was called...and my mother a peasant woman from Lotha Province. When my mother was killed, Teril d' Kestal adopted me. His wife hadn't even been born yet."

Northrop-Grumman 13-10-2006 14:31
Clear now about Terin’s strange appearance, Alakantar appeared to be more relaxed now with his expression changed to one of more understanding. He even smiled and nodded slightly to Terin as he spoke.

“Ahhhh…it all makes sense to me now,” he replied. “Thank you for clearing that up.”

He paused for a moment and then continued, “On a side note: I’m actually adopted, too. My mother died when I was only an infant…and I never knew who my father was…Fortunately, I was taken in by the Chairman and Chairwoman of Northrop-Grumman.”

Kaymiril 13-10-2006 14:33
The half-dragon chuckled.

"A Drow raised by an Elf and a Human...you have a lot of learning to do, before the spring ends."

Northrop-Grumman 13-10-2006 14:38
Remembering the conversations with Jaril about clothes, weapons, the university, and almost everything else in Kaymiril, he nodded. “Yeah, I know. That fact seems to have come up quite a bit since I got here.”

Kaymiril 13-10-2006 14:40
"I've no doubts. Jaril takes after his mother...everything must be attended to, and then you may relax."

Northrop-Grumman 13-10-2006 14:50
He chuckled. “Eh, I’m used to it already. My mother is pretty much the same way, all the time.”

Kaymiril 13-10-2006 14:52
Jaril laughed. "He should just feel fortunate the Valsharess did not assign him to the Drasdera."

Terin nodded. "Indeed he should. Now, Jaril, show your guest to his chambers and allow him to adjust to the times of this planet. I suppose there are things you desire I teach him?"

"Xas. You hear too well."

"It's a curse."

Northrop-Grumman 14-10-2006 12:12
Though a little curious about how Terin could have heard them when they were so far away from the house earlier, Alakantar shrugged the question off for another time, more concerned at this moment about getting settled in than being the inquisitor.

As he was leaving with Jaril, he nodded to Terin. “It’s been nice meeting you. I look forward to what you will teach me.”

Kaymiril 14-10-2006 22:58
Terin chuckled.

"There will be days you will wish you had never met me...and later, there will be days you will be glad of it."

Northrop-Grumman 14-10-2006 23:42
“Oh…I see,” he replied, unsure of what to make of that comment and not really wanting to discover what the former referred to.

Kaymiril 15-10-2006 00:26
Jaril cut into Alak's thought pattern.

"This way. Grace will be getting impatient with us."

Northrop-Grumman 15-10-2006 00:35
Still thinking, his mind didn’t fully grasp what Jaril had said as he turned from Terin and appeared slightly confused. “Hmm? What?”

Then, only a short moment later, it hit him what the other Drow was saying. Displaying a bit of a smile, he chuckled at his own demeanor and began to follow Jaril. “Oh, right…lead the way.”

Kaymiril 15-10-2006 00:39
Jaril led Alakantar up a level, and then right into the central area, overlooking a grand courtyard.

It was fully self-contained, and had a tropical theme, even though the area the Kestal House was located in was quite far north.

Grace was waiting in front of a door, and made an irritated warbling noise at which her master laughed.

"Oh...we need to set the door to open on your command. Only you and two servants have access to this room. You can call on them any time, day or night, and they will come promptly. In any event, give me your hand."

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:40 pm

Northrop-Grumman 15-10-2006 00:54
“Whew…two servants,” he whistled, surprised at the treatment he was receiving, and put his hand forward. “I’m not used to this…at all. I mean, while my family is pretty much the wealthiest, we never really had servants or anything. We just did everything ourselves. Driving to work, doing laundry, cooking…”

Kaymiril 15-10-2006 00:57
"We have other work that needs accomplished, and much to watch out for. Our servants have all been in our family for generations. There are strong ties of blood and loyalty."

While he was saying this, he took out a small dagger and nicked Alakantar's forefinger with it, before pressing it to the door and muttering a command.

"There. From now on, just command it 'Pahntar,' -- our word for 'open' -- or press your hand to the door."

He pulled Alakantar's hand away from the door and ran a small healing spell to cure the damage.

Northrop-Grumman 15-10-2006 01:20
Examining his finger closely after it had been healed, Alakantar replied. “Ah, yet another word to remember.”

He dropped his hand to his side and continued. “Not that I’m complaining though. It’s good security. I’d rather there be hundreds of passwords than everything to be locked by a simple key where the lock can be picked by a paperclip.”

Then, purposefully acting like a magician, he smiled and waved his hand in front of him, commanding, “Pahntar.”

Kaymiril 15-10-2006 01:25
Jaril raised an eyebrow as the door slid open.

Real magick was worked in Kaymiril...and no mage needed funny gestures like that.

They entered into a spacious room with a desk and a bookshelf, which was well stocked.

Jaril gestured to the right.

"Through that door is the bathing chamber, and the one on the other side of the room enters into the bedroom."

Northrop-Grumman 15-10-2006 01:46
As he entered into the room, Alakantar gazed around at his surroundings, nothing where everything was located. Though his eyes did stop at the bookshelf and noted all the books sitting upon it, certainly something to look at later when he had some spare time.

He then continued looking around and nodded at the mention of the two doors. “It all looks pretty nice. I’m definitely glad to be staying here.”

Kaymiril 15-10-2006 01:53
"I'll leave you now, so that you can unpack. If you're hungry in an hour, you can come to dinner and meet everyone else...with the exception of my sister Talraena and my brother Varain. Talraena is in Gronde, serving as A'nshal'a...and Varain's wife is in the process of delivering their first child as we speak. Even if he came, my brother would not be focused on what else is happening in the household today."

Northrop-Grumman 15-10-2006 02:00
“Ok, I think I could go for some dinner in a little while,” he replied. “I haven’t eaten anything since I left home.”

He glanced around some before he continued. “I’ll just unpack everything and make a call to my parents. They’re probably worried about me, like usual.”

Kaymiril 15-10-2006 02:04
Jaril laughed.

"They sound like parents. I will return in an hour. If you require assistance, tap on the panel that looks like a painting, and a servant will be with you shortly, or if you would rather ask me, turn left from this room, walk halfway around the courtyard, and enter the hall on the other side. Mine is the third door to the left."

With that he stepped out, letting Alakantar have his space.

Northrop-Grumman 18-10-2006 14:44
After Jaril departed from his room, Alakantar snatched his suitcase up from the floor and went into the bedroom with it, intending to unpack the things that he had brought with him. He laid the black plastic suitcase upon the bed and unlocked it before flipping the top open. Then he set about putting what clothes he had away into the dresser, but seeing no real point in it as he was going to have newer, more traditional Kaymirilian clothes soon. He went along with it anyway, and after putting those away, he took out his steel longsword, plated with intricately designed silver and tucked away in its leather scabbard, and rested it on top of the dresser.

Seeing that everything else had been put away, Alakantar sat down upon the bed and took the final item out of the suitcase, a device that looked similar to a laptop but yet had no easily detectable screen. He pressed the power button and watched as a holograph appeared over the device, showing the startup information and such. It was only a short while before it had finished loading and allowed him to attempt calling home. Using the device for short range communications to the puddlejumper where he could use that vessel’s long range communications back to the relay station in the Criun System, he was able connect to his parents’ house.

The hologram flashed several times until it displayed a brown-haired human that appeared to be about thirty-five years of age looking curiously at the Drow before it spoke. “Alak! Hey honey! It’s Alak!”

Alakantar smiled. “Hey Dad.” He then saw his elven mother appear in the hologram also. “Hey Mom.”

“Well, tell us, how was the trip there?” his father asked.

He shrugged. “Eh, long and not really that exciting. It was about as eventful as a bus trip.”

“Could’ve been the opposite…being chased around by the Goa’uld as you try…” Trying to keep her husband from rambling on, Alakantar’s mother cut in. “So how is Kaymiril?”

“It’s pretty nice here…quite peaceful…the land is gorgeous…all those I have met are rather friendly. It does contrast greatly to home, but I believe I am going to enjoy my stay here.”

“Sounds pretty good,” his father commented and was about to say something further, but instead his eyes widened, and he turned quickly to something behind him.

In the background, Alakantar could hear Ire’arra slowly counting down. “Quen…llar…draa…uss...” When she stopped, a loud crash of metal, glass, and crystal rushed from the speakers of the communication device.

His father’s irritated voice was heard next. “Ir, would you knock that off! I know that you can foresee things, but instead of sitting there…do something about it.”

“What was that?!” Alakantar asked.

“Apparently the ancient beams in this house can’t bear the weight of the chandelier,” his mother stated. “And it keeps crashing down in the main hall…Ire’arra knows that it’s going to happen but isn’t helping to stop it…”

“I think she’s finding this funny.” His father sighed. “Well, I really hate to cut this short but we’ve got a big mess to clean up.”

Alakantar chuckled. “That’s alright.”

“You keep in touch.”

“I certainly will, Dad.”

His mother cut in. “I love you.”

“I love you too, Mom. Bye.”

“Bye,” both his parents said in unison, just before the connection ended.

Alakantar powered down the device and rested it upon the dresser next to his sword. Then lying back on his bed, he shut his eyes to rest for a little while before dinner.

Kaymiril 19-10-2006 17:23
It was a comfortable bed, made with coarsely-woven silken sheets...there seemed to be a lot of silk in Kaymiril, almost to the exclusion of other materials.

About an hour after Jaril had left, a knock came on the outermost door to Alakantar's suite.

Northrop-Grumman 19-10-2006 21:23
Alakantar found the bed to be quite comfortable for his tastes and quickly fell asleep as soon as he rested his body upon its silken sheets. It wasn’t too long before he began to snore softly, recovering from the long trip to Kaymiril and the effect of the time changes.

After only a short nap though, he awoke with a grunt when he was disturbed by knocking on his door, and slowly rose from his bed, brushing out any wrinkles he had on his clothes. He then moseyed towards the door and attempted to open it. For a moment, he could not figure out how due to just waking up and gave it a shove, which promptly opened it.

Kaymiril 19-10-2006 22:14
Jaril stood there, looking at the still-sleepy Alakantar.

He grinned.

"If you're tired, you can sleep, but the even-meal is served."

Northrop-Grumman 19-10-2006 22:44
Alakantar blinked, still looking a little tired. “Well…I am pretty hungry and…I would like to meet everyone. Eh…just hold on for a minute, I’ll be right back.”

After turning from the open door, he made his way into the bathroom where he began to straight up his appearance for the dinner, the best that he could. First washing his face, he made sure to clean out anything that had managed to appear in the corners of his eyes from the sleep and to just waken him up more. Then after drying himself off, he proceeded to brush out the knots that had formed when he was lying down, often yanking fairly hard to get rid of them.

Looking much more presentable this time, he stepped out of the bathroom and back towards the doorway where Jaril was standing. “Whew…that’s better,” he replied. “I think I’m good to go.”

Kaymiril 19-10-2006 23:22
"All right, let's go."

Jaril, who had been waiting patiently, now led him to the edge of the courtyard and stepped onto the banister, about forty feet above the ground.

He jumped, levitating to control his fall, and stood, waiting for Alakantar to join him.

Northrop-Grumman 19-10-2006 23:22
He nodded and promptly followed Jaril out of his room to the edge of the courtyard, where the older Drow began to levitate. Now fortunately for Alakantar, this was something that he had plenty of experience in doing and quite easily copied his friend, feeling that, for once, he was just as capable as Jaril in something.

After completing the landing, he commented. “Oh, that wasn’t too bad of a drop…what’s the highest you’ve ever tried levitating down?”

Kaymiril 19-10-2006 23:25
"Probably three or four times that height. It's never been necessary to levitate farther, although theoretically any of us can levitate until we get tired. This way."

He gestured toward a wall panel and stepped to it. It vanished when he stepped into it, and he let Jaril come with him before stepping completely through and leading to the doors that led to the dining chamber.

"Are you ready to meet everyone, Alakantar?"

Northrop-Grumman 20-10-2006 12:21
“Not bad…I’ve actually gone much, much further than that, but it’s a long story so I’ll save it for some other time,” he replied.

Seeing Jaril step partially through the wall panel which disappeared, he raised an eyebrow in curiosity. Back at home, cloaking devices were used to hide things but this case was entirely different as it appeared to be something like a hologram hiding a hallway. Sure, Northrop-Grumman could use a hologram in an attempt to hide things, but the technology was still fairly new and was not stable enough for long-term use such as this.

“Interesting…” he mumbled, shortly before answering Jaril. “Yeah, I’m ready whenever you are.”

Kaymiril 11-11-2006 17:16
Jaril opened the door to the dining hall, where five people were already seated. Jaril started introducing the people around the table, and explaining the empty spaces.

"Alakantar, this is the d' Kestal family. My father and patriarch of this House, Terin d' Kestal. My mother, K'ysata d' Kestal a Maril. You've met my older brother Terin. This is my older sister, Seliphe, and the first born of my mother's children. My other older brother is not joining us, nor will my older sister, Talraena. This is my younger brother, Mekolo, and my younger twin sisters, Aeolea and M'ytala."

He then introduced Alak to the rest of the family.

"This is our guest recently arrived from Northrop-Grumman by the mutual will of our Valsharess and Chairwoman Siri O'Neill, Alakantar O'Neill d' Aleanrahel."

Northrop-Grumman 22-11-2006 17:39
As each family member was being introduced to him, Alak’s eyes paused briefly upon them, where he smiled and nodded politely. This was the first time that he had ever seen this many Drow gathered together, especially around the dinner table, and was quite glad that he could join in this meal with them. But he had no doubt that the customs here would be different than those of Northrop-Grumman and wondered how he should change his manners to adapt to this culture.

Seeing that he was now being introduced to the family, Alak responded to them all, “It’s a pleasure to meet all of you and to stay here while I am in Kaymiril. I also thank you for the hospitality that you have shown me here with the guest room and such. You certainly show one of the best sides of Kaymiril.”

Kaymiril 17-01-2007, 23:22
Teril laughed.

"You, my young man, sound as though you are trying to persuade a firing squad to spare your life. This is the d' Kestal home, not the d' Drasdera home, so sit, eat. As you would be with your own family, so be with ours, or these two months will be both long and awkward for you."

Northrop-Grumman 17-01-2007, 23:36
In an attempt to move past his initial reactions of nervousness towards this new and different family, Alakantar forced a slight smile to Teril’s first comment that finally gave way to an honest chuckle, helping him relax to a small degree.

“Alright, I’ll try my best,” he responded. “But it just sometimes is difficult to get past the fact that I am, for the most part, the one and only representative of Northrop-Grumman here in your nation, and when people see me, they see where I come from. So formality is like a default setting for me in these places…”

Kaymiril 17-01-2007, 23:40
The meal was served just then, and Terin, serving himself (there were big platters of food), spoke up.

"The best advice for you is to keep your head down, speak in Drow as much as you can help, trust no one absolutely unless she's wearing light blue and black or black and silver, and keep a watchful eye about you at all times. There will be Houses not keen to follow the orders of the Valsharess, so you may find yourself in danger on occasion."

Northrop-Grumman 17-01-2007, 23:52
Alak carefully watched how the other members of the d’ Kestal family served food so he would know what exactly was expected of him in this dinner. He really did not want to make a fool of himself by doing something wrong, especially not on the first day here.

And as he waited a few moments, Alak replied to Terin, going over the information out loud. “Light blue and black…black and silver…I can remember that pretty easily…but as for problems with other Houses, what should I expect if someone were to come after me?”

Kaymiril 17-01-2007, 23:55
"You can expect a weapons attack," said the Jalil d' Kestal. "Magick is far too blatant, and someone would turn it against the attacker. They will often attack from behind, but if you watch over your shoulder too much they'll attack you from the front."

Northrop-Grumman 18-01-2007, 00:21
“So basically I have to have eyes behind my head, as they say.” Alak released a heavy sigh as he thought over what had been said before he added, “This is certainly going to be an interesting two months.”

As he was reaching for his food, he spoke again, but this time to whomever wanted to answer him. “I do have a question though and I’ve been wondering about this…why me of all people?”

Kaymiril 18-01-2007, 00:27
Most of the other people sitting at the table turned their heads to raise an eyebrow at their guest.

Was it the custom in Northrop-Grumman to speak and think in half-formed patterns?

At length, Jaril spoke up.

"Why you...what, Alakantar?"

Northrop-Grumman 18-01-2007, 00:39
Alak’s eyes darted back and forth, taking in his surroundings, particularly all those who were watching him, before he realized that the question he was asking was most likely common knowledge to all those around him.

“Well…ermm…why would someone want to attack me?” he asked, clarifying what he was saying. “I don’t think that I really have significance within the internal political structure of Kaymiril, and the only response it would receive externally would be from the Corporation and my own parents. But I highly doubt that they’d try and invasion or anything like that…”

Kaymiril 18-01-2007, 00:54
Seliphe fielded this question.

"Well, to start off with, many of the older Houses are very stuck with an isolationist policy. Even though you ARE Drow, you are not Kaymirilian, and the fact that you are twenty-two only further marks you apart. Aolea here, the youngest of my siblings, is almost seventy-five, and in no means ready to attend the University. If the Valsharess is discredited with the International Community, she will be forced to close our borders. Also, the Valsharess has ordered your safety at all times. To do you harm is to commit Treason, and I believe the arrangement worked out is that anyone captured in such an attempt is to be turned over to your mother. To be put under such protection is a double-edged sword. If it is important enough as all that, then in all likelihood, your demise would be the only thing necessary to set into motion a chain of events that could topple the Maril house and leave every ambitious daughter in Kaymiril grasping at the power vacuum that would occur. Kaymiril is a VERY fragile nation politically, you see."

Northrop-Grumman 18-02-2007, 15:56
Alakantar listened intently, nodding every now and then as Seliphe explained the internal politics of the Kaymirilian nation. He found himself interested -- to some degree -- in the way the House system worked and was looking forward to learning more about it during his time here.

When Seliphe had finished, he cleared his throat slightly before he responded. “Thank you. It makes much more sense now,” the young Drow replied. “I can understand how it is in a way. One wrong thing happens in Northrop-Grumman…especially right now…and it sends everyone into a sort of civil war trying to dominate one another. But where it differs is that it only happens on the local level and never really interferes with the national government. Kinda odd really….”

Kaymiril 28-02-2007, 20:39
"We want to work out a system that grows beyond the old Underdark system...and this is the closest we've come. Change comes very slowly, and with much difficulty. The fact that the Valsharess thrust us so suddenly into so much change will make her a target for the rest of her career."

Jaril spoke calmly about this, as if it weren't anything terribly disturbing...a fact of life, like the sky is blue, and the grass is green -- the Valsharess had best watch her step.

"What do you think of the food, Alakantar?" asked Terin. "It's much better than it is at the University, but don't worry...the food itself won't kill you."

Northrop-Grumman 28-02-2007, 21:00
Alak pondered for a moment before he responded to Jaril. “Yeah, fast change just never seems to be an easy road to take with any nation. There are people that always are against it, serious problems to overcome throughout the course of it, and trying to adapt to the changing conditions. But really, in the long run, most of the time, it's worth the effort.”

“I must say, it’s definitely pretty good,” the Grummian replied between bites of food, swallowing of course before he spoke. “Food at most of our universities varies by what dining hall you decide to go to…some serve you food very quickly but isn’t very good in taste…others are much better but it takes a bit longer and you often have to wait….while some have you sit down at a table like this and eat but the food is excellent.”

Kaymiril 28-02-2007, 21:04
Terin leaned over and punched his brother on the shoulder lightly.

"Yes...and we'll get to hear all about human food from him when he returns. At our University, the evening and afternoon meals are served at the same time every day, and you show up or you don't eat until the next meal. Or you can go out into Mithdelmar and buy something there, but it gets expensive to do that."

Northrop-Grumman 28-02-2007, 21:14
“I think it should be pretty easy to keep up with while I’m there,” added Alak with a nod of his head. “Because I usually try to have all my meals at around the same time every day. Keeps me from suddenly getting tied up in class work and forgetting about a meal…or two…”

“Though, over in Northrop-Grumman, it isn’t as strict. The nicer places to dine have set times as they do here, but when those close after every meal, there are other places on campus to eat...but those are the places I talked about earlier that were fast but pretty tasteless. And, you can eat at places in town and like here, they are fairly expensive.”

Kaymiril 28-02-2007, 21:19
Jaril grinned. "Sounds like school is the same everywhere."

Dinner wrapped up fairly soon afterward, and the next day Terin started teaching Alak how to summon his weapons...which first required a long and uncomfortable process binding the swords to their master.

"We all have to go through it," Terin explained, "and from now on, once you learn the spell, you'll be able to call them to you at will."

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:40 pm

Northrop-Grumman 28-02-2007, 21:34
The younger Drow’s eyes warily gazed over at Terin, the ashen longsword tight within his grasp. Alak could not help but think that he was not exactly one who commonly summoned weapons, cast spells of healing, or anything else that required the powers that his mother possessed. Most of the time he was quite content on living like everyone else, but things were very different here, and he knew that he would have to do this in order to survive the year here. It was just something he had to get used to.

“Alright….um….,” Alak responded, turning his eyes to Terin. “What do I need to do first?”

Kaymiril 28-02-2007, 21:39
"Focus on the feel of the weapon in your hand when you aren't holding it, and then will the weapon physically into your hand."

He took Alak's sword and set it on a table, right next to his own sword.

"Watching is unimpressive, so I will help you feel this."

The dragon hybrid walked over to Alak and put his hand on the younger man's right shoulder with his left hand.

"Pay attention."

He held his right hand out, and prepared himself to call it -- for Alak, it would register as a hard weight in his hand, heavier to the front of his hand, but counterbalanced slightly at the back.

There was a sort of ripple over the silver blade that Terin owned, and Alak would feel a tugging sort of sensation, before the blade vanished and reappeared in Terin's hand for real.

Northrop-Grumman 28-02-2007, 22:53
It was not so much what Alakantar saw that amazed him – as he had seen the ripple effect upon many things in his relatively short life -- than what he felt in his hands. A sword would have been a good of a guess as any, most likely a correct one though, for the weight in his hands was similar to that of wielding one. But yet there was not anything there, at least, nothing he can see right off.

It certainly roused his curiosity in this ability, and he asked quite quickly, “How did you do that?”

His attention was now caught on the sword that Terin held, wondering to himself about all this. “I mean…I wasn’t really doing anything…aside from watching what you were doing…”

Kaymiril 28-02-2007, 23:08
"Focus is the answer," explained Terin. "You are a Drow of a noble lineage, so you have the innate power to do a good many things. This is one of the things you should be able to do. Concentrate, and then call. Will your sword to you, and since it is bound to you, when you know how to call it, it cannot help but come."

Northrop-Grumman 03-03-2007, 20:51
“Okay,” he responded still somewhat wary over what he was about to do. “I’ll give it a try now.”

First taking a deep breath to calm his uneasiness before he tried anything, Alak began to concentrate upon his longsword, focusing on the feel of the weapon – the roughness of the tightly-wound leather grip, the weight of the three foot blade against one side of his hand, and the rather lighter pommel on the other. He continued to ponder it for some time, continuously going over how it felt within his grasp, always keeping his attention upon it..

But after a few moments, he began an attempt to will the weapon to his open hand extended before him and soon found the feeling strange weight from earlier descending upon his hand. Ignoring how odd it felt to him, the young Drow focused more upon his task, intending to get this right the first time and not to mess things up. Before long, the ripple appeared over the weapon resting upon the table causing it to vanish and reappear into his grasp.

However, when he had felt the true weapon within his hands, Alak almost dropped it from the weight but brought his other hand over to steady the heavy blade, releasing a heavy breath in the process.

Return to NationStates