NATION

PASSWORD

While We Watched: Gathering the Light IC (Fantasy RP Closed)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mombacho
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 30, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Mombacho » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:52 pm

Before any of the others could strip, Endisha was already entering the trees near her side of the clearing. She walked briskly away, smiling slightly as she listened to the music she could still barely hear as she arrived at a small cove at the edge of the lake. No one should be able to find her without going the long way around the edge of the lake to find the cove. She scrubbed herself to clean any dirt or blood off before getting out and dressing once more in the clothes made to be worn underneath a light leather armor. The clothing was light and she was slightly damp so it seemed to cling slightly to

As she finished dressing, the girl grabbed her outer shirt and looked it over carefully. She quickly realized the arm that had been bit was probably going to take some work to repair. With a small sigh she started washing her outer clothes. After doing that she hung them up on a nearby branch and sat down near the water to try re-wrapping her arm. It was while she was doing this that she heard a man's voice greet her.

She jumped slightly dropping the end of the wrapping that she had been holding in her mouth to try making sure the wrapping was tight. Turning slightly she saw the bounty hunter grinning at her from where the trees stopped. She glanced around at the other trees and gave one area to her right of Casus a small glare before smiling at him and saying, “Well, I'm not anyone notable in history. And unlike you, I grew up in these woods and they are my home. Not many come here without being invited by one of the people who live here. Now that you've seen I'm alright, I'm sure you're mind is set at ease and you can head back to the others, unless you came here for reasons that are less honorable than the one you stated...” She trailed off slightly teasingly before picking up the bandage and trying to re tighten it up.

Casus smiled and replied calmly, "And does my history suggest I'd do such a thing, Miss Endisha? Especially when you can stun a swarm of ferocious draline bears!" He placed the cigar back in his mouth as he moved towards Endisha and gently took hold of her wounded arm while he swatted her other hand away and helped wrap her wound, noticing a few herbs along the cut. As he finished, he pulled away and let out a cloud of smoke.

"Actually, ma'am, I'd like to ask about this final member. Can you tell me why he or she hasn't already met up with us?"

She gave him a smile and said with a chuckle, “Well... Your history.... You would have maybe a little less than a dozen years ago... But now, no you don't go out of your way to try getting glimpses of unclothed women. And I didn't stun a swarm of Draline bears. It was two. And they were paralyzed, not stunned, that means they were still aware of us and what went on around them. I couldn't have held them for long either, just the one for about an hour or a little more. That's why I had Mr. Masozi kill the one he injured even though they are becoming more rare.” Endisha frowned slightly as he swatted her hand away before shaking her head with a small smile. “Oh yes, I do believe you called them mythical creatures. They aren't. They're just rare.”

She examined her arm's wrapping with a critical eye. “You did good. Thank-you for your help. As for why the one we're to meet hasn't come to us. He's a bit of a hermit. He has almost no guests and lives with two others. Even the Watchers don't visit him ever even though he was once one of us.”

"Of course I did good, ma'am. I do it all the time in the field," Casus chuckled and added a wink. "So this man we're picking up is a hermit? Don't like guests or his buddies don't? If he wants to go on a journey, he'd need to leave his house anyways. And are we picking up his two- wait, he was one of you guys?"

When asked to clarify that unknown man was once a Watcher, Endisha's smile faded ever so slightly before coming back, just as strongly, “Yes he was once a Watcher. He.. decided to leave that path long ago. As for liking guests. Well, back when he first went to live with these two, he very much enjoyed people's company. That may have changed over the years though. The two he is with won't be coming. Don't worry about that.” She got up and busied herself with repacking the leftovers from her bandage before heading to her over clothes and feeling if they were mostly dry or not. She wrinkled her nose slightly when she noticed they were not dry yet and pulled the pants down to start waving them gently in the air to increase airflow and drying speed.

"I wasn't aware watchers could just leave. Wouldn't that risk revealin' the organization?" Casus asked as he walked with her to her clothing, checking them idly. "y'know, there's a fire that the tusker made. You can dry up your clothes over there. Much quicker than wavin' them around like your tryin' to start a signal fire."

“Mr. Casus, we're an organization set up to protect all creatures on the planet in our own way. How could we insure that people were trying to do that if we kept people within our group that don't want to be part of us. We have ways of neutralizing threats to our organization if we believe there is one, but we don't often call on those methods.” She spoke with a kindly smile playing at her lips. “As for the fire...” she glanced down at her clothes. “These clothes were really made to be worn underneath armor so they aren't what I prefer to be seen in. The clothes are almost dry enough anyway. If I air them a few more minutes they'll be good enough to wear.”

"If I may be so bold, ma'am, you don't got anything to hide. You look good and your clothes don't show anything a girl such as yourself may find distasteful," the bounty hunter chuckled."But if you so desire." With that, he lifted the nearest article of clothing and began flapping it in the wind as Endisha was doing herself.

The color rose slightly to Endisha's face as James complemented both her and her clothes. She shook her head silently with a small smile that was both embarrassed and a little proud. Her eyes held a hint of a look like she should have expected something like that from the man standing next to her.

Casus only grinned, as he noticed her blush out of the corner of his eyes. Yeah, she is cute. I can deal with being in a group of two cute women, I suppose. Casus puffed on his cigar before he felt the current article of clothing for dryness. Upon satisfaction, he folded it up and placed it on a nearby stump. "So tell me, Endisha. Why are you going to deprive us of your wonderful presence?"

“I have other work to do. And I don't become directly involved in the lives of anyone outside of the Watchers without them either threatening the Watchers somehow or it's time to gather a group to fight something that will cause great trouble for the world. You could say it's like a vow I've taken to belong to the Watchers. I will be involved in finding more information to help you all find the trouble and defeat it. Also my partner and I am in charge of making sure our deals are carried out for everyone involved in the group.” Her smile and face grew thoughtful as she talked of her other duties. When James folded the clothes he held, Endisha examined the pants she held before giving a small shrug and pulling them on over her other clothes. She then stepped over to her shirt on the stump before shrugging into that also.

"So...your job is to make sure you and the ogranization don't get killed off should any of us survive. And if we  don't survive, you'll have handy backups? Your organization certainly cares about its mercenaries," Casus said with a small grin. He honestly didn't know what the others were after and he assumed they were all getting paid like him. But were they getting paid the same? "So about that payment. Two questions: How much is everyone gettin' paid and can I have cigars with my payment? I run out quickly...and it's hard to find any good ones."

“My job is to deal with the Gathered. I pick the ones that are to be invited. I make the deals along with my partner. My partner and I organize others to do what needs to be done to carry out our agreements. We do this not out of fear of you, but because it's right for us to pay debts and not to use our power to harm others even by getting them to help for a promised amount and then not deliver that amount. We also try to provide information so that those of the Gathered do not die. We wish you to succeed. You are the only group we shall gather for this. If you do not succeed, then we gathered either the wrong people or gathered you at the wrong time. In both cases it's the fault of my partner and I. We shall then have to do our best to stop whatever is rising, but it is unlikely that we can in that case. The most we'd expect to be able to do is harm whatever is rising enough to slow it allowing the rest of the world a chance at destroying it before it kills or destroys too much.” Her face was serious for once as she talked about what she and her unseen partner did.

Endisha's smile came back when she began to talk about payments. “Well one thing is for sure. Every one's agreement is their own business with that of the Watchers. If you haven't noticed, you're the only one receiving anything from me presently. As for the cigars...” She started to dig around a little in the pack she had the bandages in. After a few seconds she pulled out 10 cigars. “These were given to me in case you demanded a larger payment. We are willing to give you a total of 15 cigars each time your drink is dropped off. They are good ones according to those that I know who smoke. Some of them will only smoke these. Plus they don't smell quite as strongly for as long as the others do.”

Casus' eyebrows raised in surprise as she pulled cigars from her person, seemingly out of nowhere. He took the cigars in hand, sniffed them for quality, before stuffing them away in his own pocket. "They'll do," he said with a smile. "Now all this talk about making sure we succeed, why don't you and your partner help us by participating in whatever we get into? Research can be done on the field, y'know."

She gave him a kindly smile and said, “As I said earlier, I have something like a vow to not harm, help or otherwise change someone's life who is not directly a threat to the Watchers. If I came along with you to help. I would be put into situations that would tempt me, perhaps too much to interfere. I don't want to leave the Watchers. I love those among them, and I believe in what we are. The same goes for my partner.”

"Ahh, got your sights on a Watcher boy, do ya?" Casus chuckled as he looked around for any more wet articles of clothing she may have missed. "So, you're implying that if you change someone's life, say one of ours, you have to leave the Watchers? Seems a bit odd, in my opinion." He walked over to Endisha, satisfied there was nothing else in her cove and held out a hand for her to take hold. "Shall we return to camp, ma'am?"

When James asked if she had her eye on a Watcher boy, Endisha looked highly startled and then ever so slightly disgusted before responding firmly and certainly, “No. I don't. I'm not to look into that yet. They don't want me or my partner distracted in that way. It will be encouraged for me to find someone after you all are successful. So wouldn't you say it's in my favor for you to succeed?”

She paused and thought over the reasons she'd have to leave the Watchers. “Yes, if I changed your life with anything other than our deals to get you all together, or helping your quest along with information, I would have to leave the Watchers. This helps to keep us safe from loosing something important that we have right now. It also keeps the others safe from loosing that same thing.” She glanced around carefully as he asked if they are to return to camp and nodded taking his hand silently to allow him to help her along some of the less easily navigated parts of the path he had to have come down.

Casus laughed as she gave a startled, then sickened look. "So you can't stay with us or else you lose this important...whatever it is, and you have to leave the Watchers?" Casus parroted, trying to wrap his mind on this odd group of people that recruited them all together. "Strict organization you got there. Certainly don't envy you for it. Especially not being able to find a somebody special until after this mission. Who knows how long that'd take. You're lucky, I suppose, that you are so young and have a few years to lose" As he helped her over a particularly large boulder, he remarked, "So your partner isn't appealin' to you at all? And why is that? And where is your partner anyways?"

She smiled slightly as he parroted what she said and nodded quietly. “It's strict, but I love it. It used to be more lightly regulated before...” She paused her quiet talking before continuing a little harsher, “Well, around 200 years ago.” Her smile got secretive and knowing when he mentioned her having a few years to lose and still be able to find someone special. As he brought up her partner again her smile grew bigger and she said with a teasing laugh, “Now who said my partner was a guy? It could very well be a girl. Maybe we're paired with those of our same gender.” She paused her smile grew a bit softer before continuing, “But your assumption is right, my partner is a guy. And he's exactly like a brother to me. Could you imagine having some woman who was like a sister to you traveling with you everywhere and always protecting your back? And then having someone ask you why you weren't interested in marrying her? Hmmm now that I think of it you probably don't understand that kind of scenario.” She finished with another teasing smile.

"Well, I traveld with my sister to the markets and all- but none of the adventurin'. Every woman I traveled with since then were fair game, if you get my drift. But that don't mean that I am interested in marriage! That'd tie me down and then criminals and all the sorts would have a bit more targets to strike at to get to me."

"So you mentioned 200 years ago. What happened then?"

Endisha smiled a little as Casus talked about traveling with his family. As she knew he only really traveled much with his family when he was still a child. “Your travels with your sister had to be mostly when you were too young to have much interest in those of the opposite sex other than to try tormenting her. So that doesn't really count. And, yes I get your drift as to what fair game means.” She chuckled quietly as he mentioned getting tied down and when he mentioned targets to strike at him with she frowned slightly before saying so quietly it was almost a whisper, “And what about your son? Is he not a target already to get at you? You know there is one yet living that still knows the boy is yours and people who truly wish to harm you in that way may be able to track you back to that wizard.” The woman was not threatening in any way, either through voice or body language. In fact both seemed almost as if she'd want to protect something. After a second of pause she offered just as quietly, “We could keep track of the boy and protect him as long as you are on this quest for us as part of our deal if you desire. I don't like not knowing what we are sending you against and the fact they seem to know of us. It puts more danger than normal on the family of those we send against them. This thing is more subtle than any in the past.”

Her body posture tightened up slightly when he asked about what happened 200 years back before she relaxed and said with a small chuckle, “Have you never heard of the dragon that rampaged and tried to rule all mortals in the area? We gathered a group to fight him and stop him. Things happened then in our group that were completely unexpected and we had to change to decrease that happening again.”

Casus froze as she brought up his son. That was supposed to be a secret- his mother didn't even know it was his son. He frowned as he turned to her. The wizard...I knew I should've dealt with him too... "The boy..." he paused again. He couldn't lie to her- she already knew. "He is not my family." But then she offered her group to protect the boy. "Look, Miss Endisha, I don't plan on goin' back to them. But I'd be delighted to see them live happily through life, without me interfering. The poor girl didn't deserve what I brought to her and her son don't either."

"And the dragon? Who didn't hear of it," Casus shrugged as he continued to walk her through the forest. He cast his mind out to make sure nothing unusual was keeping track of them when he felt another "emptiness" in the area. An assassin? Casus suddenly paused and glanced towards where the lack of minds was felt. "So, this mind shield of yours...does your partner have one too?"

Endisha smiled gently as he talked of the noble woman and his son. “I'll take that as a yes to protect them through this journey of yours. I can't promise for longer than that. And if you don't plan to go back to them why did you just bury her memory of you rather than take it away completely?”

When Casus paused to look towards a spot behind them and a little to their left Endisha paused also. She quickly realized he found out how to pinpoint their shields, she had been warned that he might. “Yes, I hold one over my partner as well. And I assume that you have figured out how to feel out our shields already. Other than my partner, there are two more in this area. Do not worry about them. They are here to warn me if anything should happen that may threaten me, and in turn may threaten you since it's only animals that wander this far into the forest. They will take care of any that come to our camp to protect both me and through me, all of you. It's a way we can bend the rules without fully breaking them. They won't wake us unless there is grave danger, which I doubt. They know tomorrow may be... difficult for us and especially me for dealing with the ones tomorrow and wish me to get my full rest. Trust them to protect us. They are quite capable.” She spoke quickly putting her free hand on his near arm to keep him from pursuing where her partner stayed.

"Ma'am, that's something for me to know, and me to know only. Can't have it being spoken to strangers, like apparently my child has," Casus grumbled. "Now what's so difficult about grabbing a hermit?

“Alright, no more talking about that.” She gave him a kindly smile before frowning slightly at the question. “He's a former Watcher. That's part of what makes this difficult. He also may be unwilling to go with you. There's the question if he'll try to fight you also. If he fights, he'll be tough. His training was similar to mine, but not quite as intense if I am told correctly, but he is much older than me and has years of experience with his training. He also appreciates mixing magic and fighting skills, not unlike you, but instead of giving him warning, his magic is generally considered a bit darker and harm people directly. Fortunately, he shouldn't have eaten in a little while so his magic and physical strength may be slightly less.”

"Wait a minute, you make him sound like a prisoner. Fightin' and not feedin'...So he's got dark magic and he likes to fight? I don't know if I like the sound of this...what about his companions? Are they going to want to fight us too?"

Endisha gave a quiet sigh as Casus continued to question about the next day. “He's.... similar to a prisoner. He was once part of us, then decided to do something against our rules which, although it saved many people, also killed many. He supposedly felt bad for what he had done and gave himself to the Watchers for their decision on his punishment. He doesn't need food too often, so we bring it to him as rarely as we can. His next delivery would normally be in about three to four days. His magic involves disease and death magic. He always preferred that from what I hear, even when he was part of us. His companions know us and are there to give him some company and to make sure he stays there. That's why I'm here. They know me and will let us see him and take him because I am of the Watchers. They shouldn't want to fight us.”

"Alright, so when we get there, this...prisoner, so to speak, is either goin' to come with us willingly, or attack us with his death and disease spells while you an' his friends watch the fight? Sounds excitin'," Casus mused. "So he don't like company, I take it? Or he just content with rarely gettin' fed and havin' two companions in the middle of nowhere. Are these two companions...beautiful immortal women? I s'pose that wouldn't be too bad."

“No I suspect that if he attacks he'll attack me first, but my partner won't be able to see so won't be able to come to my aid. As for his guards. Their job is to make sure he stays or leaves as the desires of the Watchers. They will probably fight to help keep him there if he rejects the offers and deals of the Watchers. I truthfully don't know if he likes company or not. No one from the Watchers has seen him since... Well since his last friend among the Watchers passed away. We deliver food, but that's the job of the younger members and they don't stay to see him.” She laughed once more as he asked if the two companions were women, “Well... one is a woman and immortal. I think she's supposed to be beautiful for her race, but I haven't ever heard someone call her beautiful. The other is a male of his race. And they are both the same race.”

"And what is that race, ma'am?"

She chuckled again, “Earth elementals.” She paused and looked forward before saying a little quieter, “Is there anything else you want to know of before we get back? We're almost to the camp.”

Casus smiled at her and said, "I never seen an earth elemental up close. I suppose if they look like some of those classy statues the nobles have of pretty women, then...no no, a caress from them is likely to rub off skin." As they stopped, he grinned at her and added, "What, is this all secret we're not supposed to tell the others about?"

“No it's just that I prefer to enjoy my time listening to the lady's music than to talking about business. As I said earlier, I don't get much time to. Not to mention sullying beautiful music with something that is distasteful for me is not something I wish to do.” She returned with a smile ignoring the comment implying Casus's entertainment of the idea of getting involved with an earth elemental.

"Aw, are you implyin' you didn't enjoy our little chat?" Casus chuckled. Truth be told, he did enjoy the brief time he spent listening to Rhianna's music. "So you Watchers don't have your own musicians then?"

“I am not approving of what we are doing tomorrow, but I shall do my best for the good of the Watchers and the world.” She looked serious for a moment and almost like she was making a promise before smiling and continuing, “We have those who know music. A few that can claim to be bards, but I'm not often among them. I personally know a little music but not on any instrument that can be easily carried and I'm not that good at it.”

Casus chuckled and nodded. "Well, if you ain't approvin', then let's go listen to some of that music. We both need it after the bear fights...and watchin' that grotesque corpse wander about naked."

She smiled slightly after Casus agreed to go listen to the music. She cocked her head when he mentioned the corpse wandering about naked. “Grotesque corpse?” She pondered outloud quietly before chuckling, “Well, I guess you could say Mr. Kinto looked similar to a corpse, but in all truth, looking similar to a corpse is just a matter of degree for any living creature.” She smiled again, giving James a thoughtful look before darting in and giving him a gentle peck on his cheek. Just as suddenly she tightened her grasp on his hand and pulled him excitedly towards the camp.

“Mr. Casus has informed me that I shouldn't spend my time enjoying my bath anymore.” She smiled at those within the camp as she entered. Glancing at the fire and the Tusker, she paused for a moment before loosing James's hand and heading over to them and kneeling down beside the fire. “One trick with Draline meat is to keep it moist or it will feel like you're trying to eat slightly softened wood after you cook it.” She dug a small hole next to the fire as she spoke slightly slowly to the Tusker. As she dug she had to pull her hands away to cool them a little so that they wouldn't burn from being too close to the fire. Once she was done with that she poured her one water pouch into the hole causing some sizzling. She quickly strode to the water and refilled her pouch before heading back and glancing thoughtfully around the group.

“Commander, you have done very good with the food, but if you desire me to take over just say so.” Turning away from the Tusker, she examined the rest of the party thoughtfully. Her eyes lingered a little on Troy, Masozi, and even touched on Kinto for a little while before coming to rest on Casus. Her eyes traveled back to Troy and Masozi both of whom were lounging in their own preferred environment. Giving a small shrug she turned once more back to Casus. “Do you mind dancing with me?” She asked with a slight bit of excitement as she gently grabbed his hands and tried to pull him into one of the common quick dances that the teenagers of the day generally preferred.

Casus was dragged along behind the woman back to camp right after he recieved a delightful peck on the cheek. At camp, she dug up a hole to allow the meat to steam a bit. While he would have never thought of the odd method of cooking, he had also never cooked nor eaten bear. But as she turned back to face him, his eyes widened in surprise as she gently tugged at his hands. "So be it, ma'am," he replied, flicking away his cigar and joining her for the dance.

He was no expert at the dance but he had experience with most of the popular dances, learned from his days working for nobility and from commonfolk who enjoyed a celebration at taverns or festivals. In any case, if an activity pitted him in close proximity to a beautiful lady, he would thoroughly enjoy it.

Siberiak
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Siberiak » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:46 pm

Nocturno trudged through the woods, the aches and pains in his legs were only subdued by the gnawing hunger in his stomach. Three days without food, and two days on the run from people who were just as scared of them as he was of them.

It had started in a village many miles to the south. He had done one of his rare appearances to civilisation, he would of preferred not to, but the forever worsening conditions of the countryside kept driving him in. Something was wrong with the world he could smell it in the air, taste it on the tip of his tongue, and feel it within him and that feeling just kept getting worse.

He had entered the village and bartered a few silver coins for apples, bread, berries and water. He had just completed the exchange where a group of the local young ruffians approached demanding payment for entering the town. When he replied he had no more coins they threatened him with knives to the throat, and he had run into the main street, not wishing to fight desperate people.

He had tripped on a stone, swashed into the mudded street, and his hood had gone back revealing his face to the villagers and sent many running to the church for protection. Before long he had abandoned the food and water, and was fleeing into the woods while behind him the village militia pursued him, back up by riders wishing for glory and infamy to be attached to their names.

He had long since lost them, many gave up on the first day heading home, back to their wives and children, and by the end of the second day he had managed to swim a fast flowing river cutting of the riders. Those did not stop were dragged down to the bottom of the river. He didn't like that, they were stagnated people, with one sided views. They where misguided, but not evil.

Now deep into the woods, he was running low on water, and food. Though he had spotted a clump of mushrooms, they were poisonous and would have probably have killed him, or worse. He'd heard of the mushrooms that made people do strange things, or see things that weren't there.

The sound of water brought attention to his ears as well as something else, voices. That meant people were nearby, people meant supplies of food and water. He did not like the idea of stealing from people, but this was his only chance of not starving to death in some far off woods.

With the grace that would have put a fox or wolf to shame, Nocturno leapt upwards onto the branches avoid being scene. He learnt long ago that people rarely ever look up in a forest, as threats are few that come from above. He leapt from tree to tree, branch to branch edging closer to the voices. A smell hit his nose of roasting meat, fish and... ah maybe he'd avoid the mushrooms.

Below him he spied the camp, the smoke from the fire blocked his view, but he heard the pipes, smell the food, and felt the camp at rest. Though he would steal he would try not to interrupt their fun. The branches creaked in the gust of wind, anyone looking up, would have been able to see two glowing eyes against the black of night, and as the pair lowered themselves to the ground and crept ever so carefully towards a water pouch left on the ground near the shadows.

Mombacho
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mombacho » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:10 pm

From behind the demon two pairs of silent, invisible hands reached out. One set grabbed around his waist and jerked him backwards, while the hands of the other set reached around his mouth to stifle any noise and supported his neck as the hand on his mouth pulled back so as to not hurt his neck. If Nocturno struggled a third set of hands smaller than the other two would add their strength to the first to, grabbing his arms and hauling him backwards away from the camp.

When the hands stopped pulling him away, he was spun around to face three figures. All three had wings. The hair and each feather started as a yellowish green and melded into a bright blue. Their wings were folded carefully behind each form. One was a teenage woman probably around the age of 15. Hers was obviously the smaller pair of hands for she stood around half a foot shorter than either of the two men. The two men both were over six feet. All three had very light boning and looked to be elves except for their hair and wings. The three looked close enough to be siblings and all wore identical frowns.

“So Tazzy, what do we do with him. He's not of the invited, is he?” The shorter and younger of the two men asked the older.

“No.” The older man said shortly sighing and saying to the demon, “You weren't invited to the Gathered. What are you doing here? You shall not interfere with the group you were around. How were you able to find this area?”

The girl stood silently behind the two older men before asking quieter than the others, “Are you going to try harming one of the Gathered, or the one that is among them?”

"Pernik, quiet. I make the decisions if he seems to be one to harm one of ours. Grabbing their water and poisoning it seems like something that one after the assassin would do. He must convince me that he is no threat. Sir, if you make a move away or towards us, my dear sister here will freeze you in place. Right now we wish to talk." The oldest man said sternly.

Siberiak
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Siberiak » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:59 pm

"I do not know what you are talking about," the voice was dry from lack of water, the accent was hard to pin down, as if it had learned the language with great difficulty, "I am no assassin. An assassin would have waited, with all that food in them they would have it would make them sleepy, making them careless, making taking one of them out easier. These 'Gathered' would have been like the lambs before an axe."

"I did not know they were here. I don't even know where here is. For the past three days I have been denied food and water, pursed by men obsessed with some blood feud that has existed been our species since we first meet. No one even remembers how it started, the reasons have long since been forgotten."

Nocturno's legs wobbled, as if he was having trouble keeping his balance, "May I sit down, it hurts to stand?"

Mombacho
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mombacho » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:46 pm

All faces grew softer both from the sound of the voice, although the girl softened the most. “Go ahead and sit down sir. Tazzy, look at him, he's weakened. Not only that, look at him. He doesn't look to be part of the assassin groups. None of them would normally travel this far into the forest. Plus he's probably lost.” The girl spoke up quickly in defense of the unknown man.

“Pernik, I told you that I had to make the decision.” Tazzy sighed once more, “Go ahead and sit, sir. Kemnalik give the man some water from yours.” The younger man stepped forward and gave the man his water pouch.

“If you convince me you mean no harm you may go to the group and share some of their food. Endisha can point the way out of the forest tomorrow, although you'll have to travel with that group until after they stop to talk to a few people tomorrow. Now, to begin with, what is your name? Where do you hail from?” Tazzy spoke once more, but this time kinder than before.

Siberiak
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Siberiak » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Nocturno quickly grabbed the water pouch, nearly tearing the man's hands off, with three long slender digits in grey leather gloves. With great anticipation he unscrewed the stop, his hands jittering from lack of sleep and a will that nearly caused him to rip the pouch in two.

As the stop came flying off he sat down heavily on the grass, wincing slight as he sat on his tail tucked into his trousers. He tipped the pouch back and drained the pouch of water, feeling the cold, clear taste of it pour down his throat. He sat back for a moment coughing, dropping the pouch on the grass as some water went the wrong way.

"Thank you," most of the dryness had gone from his voice, though the coughing continued at a small rate, "I needed that."

It was only now that he was able to study the people that had dragged him away from the camp. They looked like elves, but they had wings on their backs, like the angles he'd seen of the stained glass windows of the churches he'd been able to get close to, the thought of the churches made him shudder slightly. Their hair was an array of colours which would have put an artist's pallet to shame. The girl looked about fifteen and was shorter than him, the two males where just an inch taller than himself.

He listened to their questions not only with his ears, his eyes glowing bright yellow in a pool of utter darkness stared at them, his body language though relaxed was fixed with attention. When he asked him about where he came from, Nocturno briefly considered lying. It would have not been a simple thing, a protection of himself and of the man who had taught him to understand the world. However, the eyes of Pernik convinced him that for once these people hadn't tried to kill him, at least not yet.

"My name is Nocturno," he spoke the words calm and clear, "and I am from the Siberiakan Mountains, far from here to the north-east."

Mombacho
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mombacho » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Both men watched the demon drink kindly, but Tazzy still had a tenseness to his body. He watched the gloved hands curiously after he drank and answered the questions, Tazzy stepped forward, motioning his brother back. Kneeling down, he gently took the demon's hand. “Not many have three fingers. What are you, what is your race? We need to know we aren't letting a killer within near our person in the group. No surprises, if we can know we will let you in with my blessing. With my name on your lips and a small sign from me in your hand, Endisha won't ask any questions.”

“Trust me. None of us here shall harm you unless you are a threat to our people or our organization.” His voice and eyes were kind, but a slight sternness within his eyes. “Once we allow you in, Endisha will make sure to get you plenty of food.”

Siberiak
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Siberiak » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:36 am

Nocturno breathed heavily, the request of the name of his species was a hard thing. Since this first encounter with another species he had learnt that people normally had only two reactions to him, absolute terror, or a burning passion to either burn him at the stake or cut this head off, and neither one of those he liked.

So far in his life the only being to show kindness was the Hermit, the single figure who hadn't believed in what he had been told by others, a rare trait. He had taken him in, taught him to speak, to read, and to do all the things he needed in life.

With a sigh, he raised his free hand to his hood and pulled it back, finally revealing his face completely. Short, black fur covered every inch of visible skin, dark indigo hair hung straight, his eyes were a piercing pale yellow which glowed in the night. Despite the fur and the glowing eyes, his face there seemed to remain a sense of dignity and, even handsomeness about it once you got through the appearance.

"I think you can guess," Nocturno spoke looking down at the ground, awaiting the reaction.

Mombacho
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mombacho » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:03 am

As the demon lowered his hood, all three took in a deep breath and tensed up. The hands loosened and dropped his as the man named Tazzy snapped, “Pernik check for magic on him.” The younger man had put his hand on a large staff he had hidden behind a nearby tree as he stepped forward in front of the girl.

The girl just nodded and whispered some words before saying outloud, “No magic Tazzy. If he was harmful, I'm sure he'd have something on him. Plus look at him. He doesn't look like one who would harm one of ours. Mother always says that we should never judge on what someone looks like. He's trusted us with what he is, even though he's obviously weakened and probably can't fight off all three of us let alone who else we have here. Plus, we'll be watching through the night and tomorrow's travels.” The man still did not look ready to relent so the girl spoke once more this time like she's quoting something said around her many times, “Tazzy, although you're to protect and advise Endy, she's to decide who travels with the Gathered until we send them out. You're just in charge of helping her and protecting her.”

The man looked at his sister sharply before sighing and saying, “You're right. Father's not going to be pleased about the foxes or the bears getting through us though. I just didn't want anything else unexpected, but if we hadn't pulled him away, he probably would have gotten his food and water before being on his way. Endy wouldn't have liked that. She likes meeting people too much.” He looked thoughtfully at the demon for another couple of seconds before standing and saying to the demon, “I'll send you into the clearing to the others with a note from me. Go directly to the girl dancing in green and blue clothes. Tell her that Tazzy sent you in and that you need both food and more water. She should take care of you. I would not suggest leaving the camp tonight. Many creatures wander the forest at night, more so than during the day. My people only protect the camp and if you leave, you will no longer be under our protection.”

As the man spoke, the younger relaxed but did not put back his staff and the girl beamed proudly at both of the men. The man Tazzy, quickly pulled out a sheet of paper and small quill from a nearby pack and wrote a short note. As he closed the letter he drew an eye with crossed shepard's crooks behind it and gave it to the demon. At that point he looked directly into the demon's eyes and said, “No talking about what you heard to anyone other than the woman Endisha within the clearing. Nor telling them when you were sent. Trust in her as long as you are in camp.” He stared at Nocturna for a few more seconds before turning back to the camp and leading the way, motioning for the others to follow.

The other two fell in silently behind Nocturna. After a few steps Tazzy said as if an afterthought, “Go ahead and place your hood up once more if you wish. Endisha shall trust my judgment at least for the night and you seem to be understandably untrusting of others seeing your appearance.” As they got near the camp, Tazzy stepped to the side and pointed forward before stepping backwards into the woods once more.

Siberiak
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Siberiak » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:24 am

"Thank you, angels you truly are," spoke Nocturno pulling his hood up so it covered his face with the unnatural darkness. He took a deep breath and began to walk towards the camp, heart beating rapidly as he approached the sound of music. His left hand clutched the letter tightly, his only excuse to get anywhere near the camp.

He walked forward, and quietly entered the clearing like a shadow stepping out into the light, the music slowed down and stopped. He was painfully aware that everyone was looking at him. He spotted several individuals that could tear him apart limb from limb, an awkward silence descended over the camp, only broken by a small gust of wind and the cracking of the fire.

Nocturno stared the girl straight in the eye and held out the letter, "Endisha? Letter from Tazzy." He continued to stand still not willing to approach any further into the camp.

Mombacho
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mombacho » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:55 pm

As the music slowed and stopped Endisha looked towards Rhianna with a confused look until she noticed that the lady's eyes were elsewhere. Quickly following the gaze she found herself looking at a hooded cloaked figure. The figure didn't move much into the clearing that they rested in and stayed still as if he or she was a wild animal that just noticed people very close to it and wasn't sure if it could get away fast enough or sneak off before being noticed.

After a few seconds for her to take in the situation and a confused look at the two spots that seemed to gleam yellow from beneath the hood, she gave the person a kind, caring smile. When her name was spoken by the figure, the young woman looked slightly surprised but astonished. The second name caused her mouth to drop open slightly and glance sharply at the forest behind the person before stepping forward suddenly.

“I'm Endisha.” The girl said softly as she came over, almost seeming like she was coming up towards a scared and easily startled animal. Gently she took the letter, glancing with a slightly raised eyebrow at the hand that held the letter, but she said nothing about that. Before opening the letter or stepping backwards, she gently put her hand on the arm of the figure and gave him another kind smile.

Endisha turned around and started to walk idly towards the fire as she opened the letter and read the contents. As she read, her eyebrows raised and she glanced towards the new figure once. After a little while, she reached the fire and turned to give everyone a large smile. “Well, it looks like we have another joining us for the evening. He'll of course have to stay with you until you are out of the forest. I would appreciate it if you all treated him as if he was one of you until then. By the way sir, all my friend said was that you were a friend and that I had to ask you any questions that I desired, so what is your name?” She announced happily before continuing kindly to the man, “Also go ahead and use my water pouch to get whatever water you desire from the lake and help yourself to the food. It looks like the meat is pretty much done. My companion did say that you had not eaten or drank in two days other than the water he gave you.”

With that she tossed the letter into the nearby fire. She then went to grab her water pouch (the one he had tried stealing before) and gave it gently to the new arrival.

Code4destruction
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Code4destruction » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Gegouf watched with a hint of interest as Endisha worked to moisten the meat. He hadn't really considered it to be too tough for his own strong jaws and teeth, but at a second thought he realized that the people of these clans were likely less capable of biting through leather. He silently relinquished the task to Endisha who would be more aware of the cooking methods of for such people.

He checked his armor to see that it had dried and put it on over his tunic. Then he went to cleaning and sharpening his blades.

When he had finished with his throwing axes and 1-H sword and turned to pick up his axe, he heard the crunch of feet against fallen twigs and scattered rocks. Gegouf glanced up, thinking it was one of the party, but his eyes fell upon a cloaked figure, more a stranger than any one of those around the fire. Rhianna's music slowed and stopped and all heads turned. Gegouf stood to full height, his axe in hand, ready to split this intruder in two at Endisha's word.

The figure did not approach like one who would attack, and perhaps that is what saved him from having a small axe hurtle toward is head. Perhaps he was one of Endisha's? He glanced to the young woman for her signal. The girl looked confused at first. Then she greeted him kindly.

So he was a stranger even to her...Gegouf watched cautiously. The girl was being careless to get so close to the stranger, but she could likely stave off a preemptive strike long enough for the rest of the group to counter attack.

While she read the letter the stranger had carried, Gegouf continued to examine him, trying to decide on weak spots and the best tool to handle the man. He seemed lithe and swift. The axe would be too lumbersome for such a creature. The sword and shield would be better. His shield lay on the ground to his left propped against a medium sized stone. His sword was already holstered on his hip.

Gegouf stared into the the hood trying to see past the shadows. Two yellow orbs gazed back at him and the others. Not human. It was already difficult enough for Gegouf to read a human's expressions, so what was this creature? What did he sense from his stance and eyes? Fear? A little perhaps. But more so exhaustion.

After Endisha finished the letter and announced the stranger was welcomed, Gegouf did not relax. He did however, return sitting and sharpening his axe with one eye still upon the figure. Gegouf listened to their exchange for any sign of danger from this man.

Luporum
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Luporum » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:20 pm

Masozi ignored the human's mispronounciation, as was typical among their kind. He watched quietly as the others danced gayly, or were licking their fat maws at roasting meat; the tusker was no doubt among the latter. The assassin laughed to himself as he imagined what hunting such a carefree group would be like. In fact... "I'm going to relieve myself- I'll return shortly." He announced to the paladin before walking into the woods and dissapearing almost instantly.

In actuality he dark elf had already relieved himself in the lake. Instead he made his trip into the woods paranoid of anyone following the conspicuous party and was almost instantly vindicated when he spoted a figure spying on the group. Before he could move in to slaughter the intruder he was beaten to it by more of Endisha's kind. Masozi watched from the shadows frowning as the hooded newcomer showed no aggression and proceeded towards the party. Damn! It had been twelve days since I slit anyone's throat. He smirked briefly glancing down at his filthy pants.

The short assassin silently emerged from behind the stranger just as Endisha was welcoming him to the group. Passing the guest he caught a glimpse of the yellow eyes peering out from underneath his hood. "Hah!" Masozi chortled as he returned to his spot beside the fire. A demon, how utterly fantastic.
Last edited by Luporum on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Siberiak
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Siberiak » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:38 am

Nocturno grabbed the water pouch that he had previously attempted to steal and rapidly gulped down the water. His eyes wandered over the group, a myriad of different species. Luckily from his studies with the hermit and travels across the lands he was able to identify them. There was the brutish looking Tusker by the slowly roasting meat, the dark elf that had emerged from behind him, the high elf with flute in hand, and several other figures.

Passing the pouch back to Endisha, Nocturno gazed and smiled nervously behind the unnatural darkness, thankful that it hid his face.

"My name is Nocturno," he spoke carefully as his nerves were still not fully settled, his tensed muscles and picked ears told him that the Tusker had gone back to his sharpening, and he didn't like the look of the dark elf, "and thank you."

Theao
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Theao » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:57 am

KInto had taken the time to have an extended swim and was thus the last to emerge from the water. Pausing on the shore, he proceeded to use his finger to wipe the excess moisture off of him* until he was no longer wet but simply mildly damp. Thus dried, he walked back to join the others and pulled on a pair of pants.

He did briefly examine the new arrival and wondered at the arrival of the were-beast**, which were never a good sign but did give even more credence to Endisha's theory. "Is this one also to be joining us, and if so, what clan are you?"

ooc:* As per a squeegee
** This be Nocturne

The Blastit Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Blastit Empire » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:29 pm

Casus enjoyed the bouncy tune with the lovely Endisha and enjoyed their small distance even more. While the girl could give a smile at the eeriest moments, he had to admit, her bubbly personality was a nice change of pace from the normal gloom he was used to. As the song came to an end, the bounty hunter smiled and leaned over to give the girl a peck on the hand, however the odd silence deterred him as he cast his mind out amongst the campsite. Most of the minds seemed distracted by a new presence and he certainly felt that presence.

The hunter frowned as he realized he let his guard down and spun around to meet the figure. While he couldn't wrestle a bear like the Tusker could, he had certainly learned to handle himself in hand to hand combat.
But what greeted his eyes was an oddly shaped, fuzzy figure covered mostly in a cloak. His eyes narrowed in suspicion as he was met with odd yellow orbs underneath the hood, where the eyes would normally rest on any human. If it's another bear... his mind began before it quickly deviated to another distraction as the soceress began wandering towards the newcomer.

The Bounty Hunter's hand raised, almost on instinct to prevent Endisha from wandering close to the creature but decided that the girl knew what she was doing. Her comrades were in the forest somewhere and he assumed that if they cared about her enough, they would already have filled the creature with arrows or whatever else they tossed at their targets.

But even as he lingered in the creature's mind, he felt no hostility- fatigue and basic desires such as food and drink- but no intense hostile feelings. The bounty hunter felt a tinge of pity as some of the last feelings of the creature's mind were that of desperation. Casus reeled his web of mind reading back and watched Endisha welcome him quite openly before giving him her water sack. A stark contrast to the rather distrustful look of Gegouf and the assassin who appeared to be stalking behind. Better not sink a knife in the poor critter.

As Mazosi blurted a laugh, the bounty hunter raised an eyebrow and approached the demon as he guzzled his water. "Greetin's Nocturno. Name's Casus," the vigilante began as he studied the three fingered hands of the creature. "So...what exactly brings you to these woods? It ain't a place people would really want to go to..." He looks like one of them spooks mothers would warn children about though...maybe he lives somewhere in these woods.

As the nasty appearance of the naked ghoul-man appeared, James winced but listened in none-the-less as he brought up a decent question, followed by an odd question he didn't quite understand, nor cared to at the moment. Is this her uncle who decided to meet up with us? He glanced over at Endisha who didn't show any signs of recognition. Has to be unanticipated... "You're lucky, Nocturno- them Draline bears didn't eat you for dinner or somethin'," he added with a friendly grin.

Free Eagles
Envoy

Founded: Oct 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Eagles » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:59 am

Rhianna’s only reply to Casus’ presumption was a playful wink of her own and a smile around her eyes as she continued playing, though in the end her eyes strayed only rarely to watch those around her, regardless of gender, instead mostly watching the tree line for any sign of further threat or ambush. As the others returned to the central camp, the music she played shifted into a slightly faster tune more suited to the dancing Endisha had requested; a popular tune she had heard known by more names than she cared to count across the country, with an equal number of different sets of lyrics.

As the evening passed, she remained sat fairly near the fire, watching the others as she played. As much as she loved to dance, doing so while playing was something she was not overly fond of; it tended to encourage mistakes on both performances. Endisha was the only one who really seemed keen to dance anyway, with the others of their motley group choosing simply to rest in their preferred ways, so she was not really missing out.

Her eyes still flicked to watching the tree line occasionally, and as such she was the first person to notice the intruder. Her music stopped abruptly, the last notes fading as she took the flute away from her mouth and a throwing knife had found its way into one hand quicker than you could blink. She did not throw it immediately however, the manner of the approach was appallingly suited to any kind of attack and the cloaked figure spoke up, addressing Endisha by name. Apparently this new arrival was also to join their group, but it seemed they were not known to Endisha, which raised numerous questions, as did the looks she noticed several of the others directing at the figure.

Siberiak
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Siberiak » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:45 am

"No clan," replied Nocturno, "and no I'm not the other one that will be joining you."

He ignored Casus's questions as his legs where once again beginning to shake, the knees beginning to buckle, he needed to sit down again. He staggered over like a wounded man to a tree near the fire, a grand oak, and slumped against it. He was physically exhausted, and yet his body remained alert, the eyes refusing to drift from anything they registered as important. Making note of details that the casual observer would miss.

From his cloak he produced his weapon, a lightweight side-sword in a cheap leather scabbard, and laid it against the tree just within arm's reach. A fabric pouch dropped next to the ground attached to his belt by a small length of rope, with the chunk of what sounded like many shells collapsing onto one another.

Now settled into his quiet corner well away from everyone else's apparent sleeping areas, he began to rub the upper part of his legs, working the knotted muscle out of them.
Last edited by Siberiak on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mombacho
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mombacho » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:33 pm

“There's no problem in sharing our water.” The finely boned woman said kindly as she smiled and took the pouch back.

Her back was towards the lake when Kinto came up from the water. When he spoke, Endisha turned towards him and smiled happily, “He'll be joining us for the night. Whether he joins you after that is up you to and him. He was not invited like the majority of the rest of you, but you may choose to keep him with you if he doesn't wish to leave. To help point him out of the forest he will be coming with us tomorrow until I help you pick up your last member.”

So saying, she turned towards the lady Rhianna once more. “Thank-you very much for the music. I certainly enjoyed myself. Go ahead and get your own food. After you eat I suggest that you head towards bed. Tomorrow will be early, although hopefully we won't run into any other animals to fight.”

As Endisha turned back to the new figure, she noticed that he was moving away and sitting down shakily. Frowning slightly she pulled off a large chunk of the meat and walked over to the man. Kneeling down in front of him she silently held it out to him. When he took it she gave him one more smile saying kindly, “Don't feel bad if you wish more food. Just take it. We can always find more if we need to and you shouldn't be starving or to tired when moving through these woods. All the creatures are becoming more dangerous and changing habits. You shouldn't even travel through the forest alone, not even the bandits go more than a couple of hours into the forest alone.”

After watching him for a few more seconds, the young woman got up and walked back to the meat taking her own much smaller chunk and sitting down to eat and lay down for sleep.

Siberiak
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Siberiak » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Nocturno gazed at the large chunk of meat in his hand and then as though some instinct kicked in proceed to devour it with small, sharp teeth. Slowly at first, but then quickly as some sense of survival kicked in, until he was barely chewing the food that now went down his throat.

When he was finished, every scrap of flesh, every sliver of skin and every single molecule of meat all that was left was the white bones picked clean, as though a murder of crows had descended on the food. He glanced briefly at the bones, marvelling at the patterns in the marrow and its colour in the light, before tossing it onto the fire. The bones landed in the white hot centre of fire, and briefly glowed golden, then dulled until they loss all colour and collapsed as ash into the flames and scattered to the wind.

He repeated the process over, and over with the meat, fish, and apples. Always tossing the remains of what was left onto the fire, washing it down with water from the pouch, with he rarely refilled from the lake. But, each time the process of walking became more and more difficult as the aches and the need to sleep grew ever more, until finally he drifted off to sleep watching remains fall into the fire, curled up against the oak like a wild animal.

Mombacho
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mombacho » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:46 pm

Endisha laid down to rest, but she shifted restlessly for a while. Soon after she heard the breathing from most other people deepen into mostly restful sleep, she opened her eyes and slowly sat up. Glancing around to visualize where everyone was asleep, and who was awake, she slowly got to her feet and smiled at those awake whispering, “I really would suggest that you get some rest. I need to take care of a little business and shall be back soon. Don't worry about the camp being in danger or me. I shall be safe as shall you all.”

With that she walked into the forest a little ways before pausing and whispering quietly to herself. As she finished whispering her form seemed to fade from view. A little over two hours after she first got up she came back to lay down to real sleep with a small sigh.
About an hour after all of the gathered fell asleep, there was movement in the cove Endisha had bathed in. From both sides of the little cove people emerged. The young woman, who had been called Little Wind Rider when she flew among the lightening elementals, came out from the side nearest to the camp with a man who looked to be a few years older than her, but had both her wings and hair. On the other side the man who she had called father the night before emerged with another man beside him that looked to be near the father's age. The second man did not have the wings that the young woman's father did. “Agreements have been made, father. They all agree to what was offered in the letter, but the man Casus, wishes to have cigars along with his alcohol. We are also to protect his son for the duration he works for us.”

The father gave his daughter a large smile, “You have done well. Everything is going smoothly so far. There was surprisingly only three unexpected things. First it was the girl, then the foxes and bears, with the final thing being the new figure at the camp. And a pair shall be sent to protect the son. Perhaps young Firneth and Quartar shall be good. Firneth has almost finished her training as a mind mage and Quartar is old enough to influence the noble woman.” At that point he glanced at the young man standing beside and slightly behind Little Wind Rider. “Son, you were supposed to keep the animals away from the group. If I need to remind you, their well being may affect the well-being of one of our own as long as she travels with them. She may need them to deal with my uncle. And what is this with the two uninvited people?” He lecturing tone was slightly disapproving.

“I did my best father, we were... discouraging another group of foxes when the first attacked them. Then there was nothing we could do about the bears without showing ourselves. The group handled themselves as a group to fight good together which bodes well for tomorrow's meeting if your uncle acts up at all.” The man responded from behind the only female.

“Father he did his best. We both know that he would never allow any permanent harm to come to any of us especially while they were with the Gathered. They all seem to be sleeping well and there have been no disturbances since the Gathered arrived at camp. I think Firneth would be good to send to keep an eye on the boy. She looks to be around his age and should be able to get herself in to be a play pal of him. Not to mention, his father favored the things he found curious and the boy seems to have the same tendencies. His inability to read her like he can others should peak his curiosity causing him to favor playing with and around her. That would be the best protection.” The girl quickly defended her brother.

The girl's brother watched her defense of him with a slightly amused smile. “What she doesn't know about is why I allowed the last man to go to the camp. I believe him when he says he was chased for two days without food or water. He seemed to have no desire to fight or even have the energy to do so. Due to that I allowed him to go to the camp for his safety and food even though he is a demon.” He stated calmly.

At the last part of his statement, both his sister and father gasped a little and his father looked angry for a moment before the girl recovered herself enough to defend her brother once more and speak before her father did. “You made the right choice Tazzy. All you're to do is defend the one who talks to the Gathered at this point. I don't think he was a risk either. He showed no desire to fight. He seems harmless enough, but there must be something special about him, or he is just very lucky, because he was able to get this far into the forest and stay alive as weak as he was from both hunger and thirst. Oh yes, the lady that came to where we invited the Gathered is happy just following the group so she can write the story that revolves around these people. She does not wish pay, and will use her skills to help in any way possible.”

The father softened quickly at his daughter's defense of her brother, as he almost always did. “You defend him like your mother always reasoned. Pointing out what was done right and that what was done wrong was an explainable mistake. Alright, Little Wind Rider, go get some rest. Tazzarian, go set up the night watch then get some rest yourself. We all shall have a potentially big day tomorrow.” The father gave the girl a quick hug and kiss on her forehead before giving his son a hug too. “I'll begin on the agreements.”

The man standing behind the father gave a brief nod at the younger pair before disappearing into the wood after the father. After the father was gone, the younger pair stayed for a few moments talking quietly before they also left to follow their father's orders and the clearing was once again still.
Soon after dawn, Endisha got up and started a small fire. When she had it going she glanced around before heading off to the forest once more. Soon she came back with her arms full of fruits, vegetables and around a dozen eggs in a pouch she pulled out for carrying them back. She placed out the fruit and vegetables after gently washing them in the water before she began to cook up the eggs.

After everyone had woken up and eaten, the young woman gathered them up and set out once more. There were no more attacks by animals, but this time they only traveled for around three hours. Their travel quickly changed from mostly flat land to more hilly country. Eventually, everyone could see they were in the foothills of the nearby mountains. They came out in another clearing that seemed empty. The new clearing was fairly large. The diameter was nearing 100 yards. The clearing was also more rocky than any of the earlier ones they had stayed in.

Before walking into the clearing, Endisha paused and said quietly to everyone following her, “Unless you are used to dealing with earth elementals, I would ask that you try not to talk much to her. As I said the earth elementals have become affected also by whatever is affecting the land and are more easily irritated than ever before. I know this elemental and she's generally fair-minded even with what is affecting the elementals, but be warned.”

With that warning, she turned and strode confidentially into the clearing. If anyone was watching her feet, she expertly avoided stepping directly on any piles of stones and most of the single stones. Striding up to within a few feet of a few large piles of stone, jumbled around the entrance to a small cave in the hillside. There was no one other than them in sight, not even in the cave.

“Eithergna? Where are you? It's Endisha Visnerie. I've come to talk to you and see about Saegar and Granithgan .” Endisha called out respectfully, looking around mostly between the largest piles of stones around her.

After a few seconds, some stones started to roll towards one of the piles. Then slowly the pile sat up and finally stood up into a vaguely humanoid shape that stood just under six feet tall. “The Watchers have come then? You're too old to be of those to feed Saegar. You had to have received my message.” The elemental's voice was harsh and grated on ears while she spoke ponderously slow.

Endisha gave him a bright smile, “Yes sir, we did. Before we go in I want to clarify how things stand. You said you can't contact your brother within and haven't opened the door since the last time food was brought?” She questioned reasonably and in a bright voice.

The elemental spoke slightly faster, “Yes, young, brash one. I have and I am not supposed to go in and check without the Watcher's special permission as our agreement. I sent a message to inform them of the lack of contact and then they send a child who is less than fifteen years out of gathering food for the one within! Not to mention a group following her who is not of the Watchers. If they had to send a young one why not your brother? He is older, less impulsive and has higher ranking than you. In fact, the leader of the Watchers should have been sent, not you! You Watchers insult me by the lack of the older and more powerful Watchers!” The elemental was starting to talk faster and louder. As she spoke more stones of various sizes began to slowly roll towards her increasing her size. “They didn't even send a pair, just one! How could you be the one sent!”

As the stones were drawn towards the figure in front of Endisha, she backed up a few steps and tried to reason with the creature her voice at first calm, but growing more worried the more the elemental grew. “No, my partner is there,” She pointed towards the woods near where the group had come out. “As for power, that of my partner and I equals that of any Watcher. You know we are the most important pairing among the present Watchers, and it shows how much we are worried about the situation here that we are sent! The others that are with me are the Gathered. You know how the Gathered are handpicked for the troubles! Not only do you have the Guides and the Gathered, but you have a second pair to back them up within the woods! Your own strength could be helpful. With such power, not even Saegar could fight his way out successfully and he hasn't tried to fight his way out before when receiving food so I doubt he would--.”

The elemental continued to basically yell over Endisha, ignoring her before the elemental stopped talking and just swung her enlarged arm at the young woman. The elemental at this point was nearing 17 feet tall. Endisha quickly dodged out of the way, her face both surprised and slightly confused. As she started quickly backing up away from the elemental, the woman began casting yet another spell. The young woman's attention looked obviously divided as she dodged out of the way of another arm and paused her spell long enough to glance at the others, “Keep her off me please, my spell is the only way you will stop an earth elemental without grinding it to dust.”
Last edited by Mombacho on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code4destruction
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Code4destruction » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:47 am

Gegouf waited for the others to eat their fill. For those who knew of Tuskeran culture, perhaps it seemed odd that he was not to first to take a portion of the food. But he considered the weakness of those around him, their need to sleep and eat regularly, and only took some of what could not be finished. It would be enough to sustain some of his strength for awhile, at least until they could reach their designated location. Gegouf hadn't eaten for several days already, spending much of his time watching and learning this new land. Had he been fully energized, the armored bear would not have caused him as much trouble, or so he decided.

Gegouf gazed at the freshly sharpened in axe in his hands. Others began to make themselves comfortable and drifted to sleep. Gegouf simply stoked the fire and took down the meat. He cut it and let it dry in smaller portions so that it could be preserved for the group's later need.

Then he leaned against the stone that rose to the middle of his back, his back facing the water, and watched the forest and the sky. Endisha had hinted there were others hiding in the trees watching them, watching her. Gegouf couldn't see or sense anyone. He paid no attention to the others and kept a silent vigil.

After some time, Endisha rose and looked around as if surprised to see anyone still awake. She excused herself and Gegouf didn't comment. At first he assumed she was going to relive herself in a private area of the forest. But much time had passed before she returned. He glanced curiously at her, but she returned to her makeshift bedding. Gegouf let the fire die.

Strange though the nature of this land, the women are stranger still...he mused not knowing what to think of the girl's ever present smile. The last woman he had known to smile so much was famous for the slaughter of an entire troupe of barbarians that raided her village. She too had been younger than 21 cycles.

In the shadows of the flickering light, a grim smile crossed Gegouf's lips from the memory.

And then, swift like an open wound, the night bled away to a cool pink dawn. Endisha awoke soon afterward and went off to the forest once more. He wondered if she was up to whatever it was she had done the night before. However, she soon returned with food and cleared away the ashes to start a new fire.

As the others rose and ate, Gegouf took the time to use the forest for his own private means. While he did so, he continued to glance up in the trees. He didn't like the idea of people he could not see watching him. It was like being on the wrong side of a hunting party.

Gegouf returned to the camp. By now everyone was up and about their own business. Gegouf was already equipped and ready to continue. When they did set off from camp, he took front position once more, prepared to strike at any man or creature that would assault them.

This time, they traveled at a faster pace despite the change in elevation. The trees grew more sparse until the broke away to reveal a rocky clearing. Perhaps these Watchers were successful in staving off any other creatures, for the party met no encounters until they reached the clearing.

Gegouf eyes the boulders lying about, some as large as he. Was the one they were to meet hiding behind one of these? He could sense nothing in the nature...no...there was something very faint. He tried to pinpoint it, not as much an expert at communicating with nature as the Wild Masters or the Holy Guardians. When Endisha called out and the rocks around his feet began to move and congregate to a central boulder, only then did Gegouf realize who or what he was sensing.

So this wan an elemental. Tales of them had reached even the depths of Garrothmore, but like most things to the isolated clan of Tuskers, they were regarded as mythical or even supernatural entities. Tales had even spoke of the original Queen Mother Oolonia being the child of a water elemental. But that was mostly uttered by fanatics to awe and inspire children.

Gegouf shifted his stance as the creature came to form. Was this the one who Endisha spoke of joining? He could barely understand its speech over the sound of its grating voice. A stoneskinned warrior would be a powerful ally, Gegouf decided.

But then the attitude of it changed. As Endisha had warned, the creature began rumble as if the ground beneath their feet shook with its fury. Endisha spoke quickly, trying to pacify the earth elemental. By now it towered over the clearing, a giant in comparison to the trees miniatured by distance.

Gegouf drew his sword and shield after the stone giant swung a mighty fist toward Endisha. It seemed diplomacy, for whatever reason, had failed. He glanced to her for his orders and, in a moment of confusion, the order came.

Gegouf was the first to spring to action. He charged at the giant elemental that was still drawing in stones until the boulders that were as big as him were even part of it. It swung down on him, but Gegouf rolled forward to dodge and close more distance until he was beneath it. He struck his blade, only able to reach midway up the stone leg. Sparks flew from the force of the blade, but only scraped the stone.

The elemental stomped her foot to step on him, but he rolled away again. If he could reach her head, perhaps he could find a weak point. Endisha had said to distract the elemental, not kill it, if it could even be killed. Perhaps she meant to paralyze it like she had done the bears. Which of course meant she needed the creature.

Relying on his greater movement speed than the giant's attack, he dodged a swing by a hair, then vaulted onto the fist. The rock gave way underneath his feet. Gegouf lost control of his landing and slipped. He griped a hold onto the stone arm at last minute with the crook of his arm, not willing to let go of his sword or shield else they be crushed under the elemental's feet.

The elemental flung him aside like a pest. Her mighty throw seemed almost casual despite her ferocity, but it sent Gegouf sprawling back almost toward where they entered the clearing. The Tusker lost grip on his sword and shield in a hasty struggle to break his fall. He landed hard on his back, the wind knocked out of him. For a moment, the scene before him blurred. He saw the giant's hand come down on him. No time to buff his defenses, let alone catch a breath, Gegouf made a move to roll out of the way once more, his movements slowed by the sudden pain in his back.

The Blastit Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Blastit Empire » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:24 am

Casus frowned as the man simply ignored him and scratched his chin with one gloved hand before backing away, cigar in his mouth already. The man appeared to have trouble standing up- a sign of fatigue. Or something odd... Truth be told, Casus had heard of children born without necessary strength or bones to keep themselves standing. It was a sad prospect and one Casus hoped never to happen to his children, should he ever have any "legitimate" children.

The weapon the man placed along the side appeared to be one of those bits of junk a second-rate blacksmith would create, but he had been taught not to judge a book by its cover. Many a bounty proved that to be true. The hunter scratched a small scar along his scruffy chin and menuevered for the leg of bear. He had never indulged himself in such an exotic meat- especially a mythical beast, however considering the alternative was seared fox, it was a night of trying new things.

After satisfying his hunger, he lay out his bedroll a short distance from the fire. His bounties had gotten him more used to living and camping alone so he was so unused to being around others. He was not uncomfortable, however, as although Endisha was a bit odd and too trusting for her own good- in his humble opinion- he trusted her judgment in their safety, especially in regards to her friends in the forest. He had felt them with his own mind and knew they were out and about. He still had yet to come up with a solid feeling on these "Watchers". A measure of distrust was evident, as they set up a group and ran and it always felt like they weren't revealing the entirety of a story. And the fact that there was one well-versed in mind protection abilities didn't help either. These watchers were a mystery- one he didn't like.

As dawn rose, Casus woke quickly and packed his belongings up as he heard and smelled food cooking. Today her former member...then we get to have a crazy villainous hero-hermit among us. Not that it makes a difference with our motley crew. And then we lose one pretty girl. As long as we keep the bard then I'll be happy. Casus smiled to himself as he lip up one of his cigars and wandered over to the campfire, his pre-breakfast rituals complete.

Breakfast was short and sweet, without much in the way of conversation. Casus hadn't noticed a few of the members roll out sleeping supplies and wondered if they even got any sleep. He figured as long as they didn't get anyone killed, he was fine. He figured that everyone would need sleep sometime...

As the long, uneventful trip took them to some rocky outcropping, Casus watched Endisha converse with the elemental, quite amazed at how big the thing was growing as they spoke. It had no feminine form, much to the vigilante's chagrin. Saeger? Granithgan? James let his mind whirl with stories he had heard, wondering how he may have thought of one of them being a hero but could not recall either of those names in any story he heard. Yet he paused in his thoughts when he heard mention of "feeding Saeger". What does that mean? he thought to himself. Usually when one could not feed themselves, it was a bad sign.

And then Endisha clearly lost her cool. She appeared worried, something that troubled Casus greatly. This isn't going as planned, he thought bitterly to himself, taking a step forward, his left hand resting on the pommel of his sheathed sabre. And then the action began. Endisha dodged a few blows and Gegouf was already at the elemental. Casus knew the tusker wouldn't be able to wrestle something that huge, but it almost appeared as though he planned on it.

"How are we supposed to distract it?" Casus called out as he darted away from the others. His ballista, while armor-piercing ammunition may cut through some of the rocks, he wasn't even sure if it would have an effect. The ground was littered with rocks and the elemental will just keep grabbing them. And his sword was useless in this fight. He picked up a fist sized rock and tossed it at the elemental, surprised to see Gegouf appearing quite open to attack. Hoping the rock did the trick, Casus planned out his escape. "Hey Pebbles! Over here!" he taunted, not even sure if the creature would be phased. It was worth a shot, though.
Last edited by The Blastit Empire on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luporum
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Luporum » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:29 am

Masozi had stayed awake while the others slept and silently stalked around the camp. The assassin could never bring himself to sleep for more than half an hour, and usually at dawn or dusk. Similiarly, he rarely ate. Early on he learned to be hungry, stay aggitated- stay angry. Poison was also always a very real concern; while he himself was capable with the art, others in the guild were nothing short of masters. The dark elf had seen first hand what Nightshade could do if sprinkled in one's soup, drink, or even rubbed into someone's cloths. That was always your favorite, Niobi.

Most of the night he perched himself up in a tree scanning the woods for intruders; like all dark elves he possessed tremendous night vision, things at a distance were still lost to the darkness but finer details were illuminated in a bright purple outline. Fortunately the night went by uneventful and by the time dawn broke, he was ready to move out.

The assassin remained at the rear as they set out again. He frequently tested his hidden claws with loud and startling pops, partly to keep the others alert and on their toes. Masozi shadowed the Tusker when the arrived at the clearing as behind the large warrior was the best place to remain hidden in the open. His brow furrowed as the girl began talking to the rock elemental. A rock, really? What is it going to update us about the moss growing on its ass?

However, the creature was clearly not in the mood for negotiation. It's grating voice rang painfully through his sensitive ears and was actually relieved when it became hostile. "Time to silence this stupid boulder." Masozi growled from behind the Tusker as they charged forward. He rolled opposite of the fighter and swiftly began climbing the elemental's back. The assassin moved more like a jumping spider than any kind of humanoid. Distract it... how in the name of Samhain does someone get a rock's attention?

Masozi began repeatedly jabbing the elemental with his claws and stabbing at it with his dagger to very little effect.
Last edited by Luporum on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siberiak
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Siberiak » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:19 pm

During the night, Nocturno twisted and turned and scuffled and a one point growled in his sleep. His nightmares had been with him as long as he'd been able to remember, though he could not always see them clearly he always felt the same emotions burning around him, terror, fury, and others that he could not understand. He had been able to suppress these with the burning of certain roots before sleeping, but he had loss them back at the village.

He awoke in the pale light of dawn, covered in dust, the dirt around him scrapped and tossed about, thankfully his hood had remained on. He had noted Endisha coming back with the food, brushing the dust of himself and quietly sneaking off for an early morning bath, far away from everyone.

The three hour walk had been tense, he had been painfully aware that those 'angels' were out there, and several others had looked carefully around studying the forest. He had kept close to the girl, still cautious to everyone around him, tensing up when anyone else had come near him and using silence as a defence against their questions.

The elemental was not something he would have expected, it towered over the forest. He'd read about elementals and even managed to get to seen several before. The element before him, was more aggressive than it should of been. And then everything went downhill.

The order came to distract it, and came as a problem. Nocturno possessed no means of hurting the creature and he highly doubted anyone else did. The best he could do was find a way to be an annoyance to the creature, but he needed to get close and those tree trunk arms with mountain peak fists didn't seem like a good idea to get close to.

Noticing the Tusker he ran over avoiding the movement of the arms like a butterfly in a hurricane, the Tusker was in obvious pain, but did his best to hide it. Nocturno helped him get to his feet, and asked, "Do you think you can throw me at its head? We need a pain in the neck."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates