NATION

PASSWORD

WorldVision Song Contest 16 Signups

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Meciene
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Meciene » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:46 am

Kingsley Bedford wrote:
Nouevelle wrote:I just thought it fit the moment.

*Runs off into the distance crying*

Try something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFvz3Ftf_5g

Wait. Has there ever been an instance in the contest where the same song is based on more than once?

And we're (me+L&K) using MF songs this contest. Muahahaha! :twisted:
The Free State Alliance of Meciene
Од Јие-ниеу Ентсаре Јансин ит Масуид||Масуиске

Embassy||First Mecian Airways||MeciFly||Jonder Yuaje International||Factbook
'cause cyrillic looks nicer than greek

Swilatia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Swilatia » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:30 am

Sebally-Orwitskia wrote:Is it too late to join? Sebally-orwitskia craves this!

No, there's still 3 slots left!

Well, 2 now. And the voting in the last contest isn't even done yet.
SvilajskaRepublika Free since 1826

Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.31

St Cairns
Attaché

Founded: Aug 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St Cairns » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:28 pm

St Cairns would like to sign up!
Thanks!

Sebally-Orwitskia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebally-Orwitskia » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:48 pm

Then Sebally-orwitskia signs up/. What do i need?

New Entropia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Entropia » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:52 am

You just need to write a song to enter basically (no cover versions though, and preferably not crap. For an example of crap, see my entry in the current contest). When the current contest finishes and everyone that can sign up has then we go to the National Finals stage in a seperate thread where you post the name of the song/artist you're entering (for a few examples of various NF's see here or if you're really creative look at Meciene's pretty awesome NF for a guide). Then when the contest comes around post your song up.
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.54

Creator of Electionator 1.2 *new!*

Swilatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Swilatia » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:58 pm

1 slot left!

Political Compass

Sebally-Orwitskia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebally-Orwitskia » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:15 pm

New Entropia wrote:You just need to write a song to enter basically (no cover versions though, and preferably not crap. For an example of crap, see my entry in the current contest). When the current contest finishes and everyone that can sign up has then we go to the National Finals stage in a seperate thread where you post the name of the song/artist you're entering (for a few examples of various NF's see here or if you're really creative look at Meciene's pretty awesome NF for a guide). Then when the contest comes around post your song up.

So I need to make my own lyrics. However, I also need to post a video of a RL artist, with a different name, to sing the song I wrote. Am I correct?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:23 am

Sebally-Orwitskia wrote:
New Entropia wrote:You just need to write a song to enter basically (no cover versions though, and preferably not crap. For an example of crap, see my entry in the current contest). When the current contest finishes and everyone that can sign up has then we go to the National Finals stage in a seperate thread where you post the name of the song/artist you're entering (for a few examples of various NF's see here or if you're really creative look at Meciene's pretty awesome NF for a guide). Then when the contest comes around post your song up.

So I need to make my own lyrics. However, I also need to post a video of a RL artist, with a different name, to sing the song I wrote. Am I correct?

No: Videos are not necessary, or even customary.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Swilatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Swilatia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:02 am

Sebally-Orwitskia wrote:

There is absolutely no requirement to post a video... I'm not sure where you came up with that one...
We'd rather you didn't, actually.

Political Compass

Meciene
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Meciene » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:59 am

Swilatia wrote:
Sebally-Orwitskia wrote:

There is absolutely no requirement to post a video... I'm not sure where you came up with that one...
We'd rather you didn't, actually.

Um.. basically, there's three basic types of posting entries in the contest.

Type 1:
Just write your song, and post its lyrics. Like this one. You can include a vivid description of what happens during the song, something like this. However, the downside of this is that people don't know what the melody of your song is like, and they will probably judge you based on lyrical quality.

In edition 15, the better-scoring entries are (usually):
Type 2:
Take a song, and change its singer and lyrics. Like this one. The song's RP performer shouldn't be a RL artist, hence Ke$ha isn't used in the entry. If you're gonna use an ESC-related song, you can follow it's stage act completely, or change the stage act to your own liking. This usually scores better as the melody is easily remembered, and people may judge on the song rather than the lyrical content itself.

Heck, if you're feeling creative, you can go with:
Type 3:
Compose your own song. With its own music file (MIDI, mp3, whatever). Usually, only Zwangzug did this stuff (and before, Kura-Pelland), and no one else really did it IIRC. Like Type 2, it's kinda judged according to melody.
The Free State Alliance of Meciene
Од Јие-ниеу Ентсаре Јансин ит Масуид||Масуиске

Embassy||First Mecian Airways||MeciFly||Jonder Yuaje International||Factbook
'cause cyrillic looks nicer than greek

Swilatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Swilatia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:13 am

I do remember that Rejistania tried to do type 3 once. It was a disaster.

Most of my entries have been type 1, but I experimented a bit with type 2 this time around. I didn't feel like telling which exact song the Valeneska entry was based off, but I'm sure most of you have guessed it.
Last edited by Swilatia on Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Political Compass

Grittonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Grittonia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:24 am

Swilatia wrote:I do remember that Rejistania tried to do type 3 once. It was a disaster.

Most of my entries have been type 1, but I experimented a bit with type 2 this time around. I didn't feel like telling which exact song the Valeneska entry was based off, but I'm sure most of you have guessed it.

I've watched Euro 2009 but I can't figure it out.
I am a Cultural-Nationalistic Authoritarian Socio-Capitalist. Grittonia's own Pappaïsm reflects that.
The Grittonian Embassy program!
Join my quest for World Fame! And my quest to make out with guys from all nations of the world! Sign-up now!
Hot, Dutch, gay and single!

Grittonia's Law wrote:Everyone is gay, they just don't know it.
One who automatically claims they are straight without probing are undoubtedly gay.

Gren's Theorem wrote:Everyone is attracted to Grit. Those who say differently simply refuse to acknowledge it.

"Oy vey! All he talked about was parties and sex! And those Perviolosi twins kept tugging at my pants. Get me some tylenol." - Roman Ambassador after meeting Pappa Nick & his entourage

Mileyworld
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mileyworld » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:57 am

Count me in

Cachette de Lions
Envoy

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Cachette de Lions » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:00 am

I write Type 1, and tend to give the highest points to these entries. I think Type 2 is more risky, actually, as (maybe this is just me) if I know the original song, I judge it against the original, and if the lyrics are bad or don't fit I mark it down, something I can't do with Type 1. Type 1, though, does leave more to interpretation - for example, I have no idea if other people will have the same melody in my head as me for my lyrics, and other people may judge that as well.
Economic Left/Right: -4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.82

Swilatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Swilatia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:06 am

Grittonia wrote:
Swilatia wrote:I do remember that Rejistania tried to do type 3 once. It was a disaster.

Well, okay. Meciene seemed to recognise it.

Here is a hint - the country which sent it starts with an "A", and ends with a "rmenia". Figured it out yet?

Political Compass

Grittonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Grittonia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:07 am

Swilatia wrote:
Grittonia wrote:

Well, okay. Meciene seemed to recognise it.

Here is a hint - the country which sent it starts with an "A", and ends with a "rmenia". Figured it out yet?

Didn't they sent like Inga and Anush or ehm... AySel and Arash (something like that)?

Or Day after Day? I liked Day after Day by Elmo something and Elmer something.
I am a Cultural-Nationalistic Authoritarian Socio-Capitalist. Grittonia's own Pappaïsm reflects that.
Join my quest for World Fame! And my quest to make out with guys from all nations of the world! Sign-up now!

One who automatically claims they are straight without probing are undoubtedly gay.

Gren's Theorem wrote:Everyone is attracted to Grit. Those who say differently simply refuse to acknowledge it.

"Oy vey! All he talked about was parties and sex! And those Perviolosi twins kept tugging at my pants. Get me some tylenol." - Roman Ambassador after meeting Pappa Nick & his entourage

Swilatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Swilatia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:29 am

You're probably thinhking of Azerbaijan. Day After Day was great and all, but I don't think I'll be basing any of my entries on it.

I've already made some plans for this contest anyway: Wijiska Island will be singing a song in Wijaskan, for the first time since... ever, really. Mostly for OOC reasons - I want to see if the Cachettian presenters think the song is in Polish. And if they do, i'll have an unknown caller Láska Jazmínki scream at them about how "ITS NOT SPANISH ITS PORTUGUESE!!!"... i mean Wijaskan. Yeah.

Okay, she probably won't. That line is old anyway.

Political Compass

Grittonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Grittonia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:33 am

Swilatia wrote:You're probably thinhking of Azerbaijan. Day After Day was great and all, but I don't think I'll be basing any of my entries on it.

I've already made some plans for this contest anyway: Wijiska Island will be singing a song in Wijaskan, for the first time since... ever, really. Mostly for OOC reasons - I want to see if the Cachettian presenters think the song is in Polish. And if they do, i'll have an unknown caller Láska Jazmínki scream at them about how "ITS NOT SPANISH ITS PORTUGUESE!!!"... i mean Wijaskan. Yeah.

Ah, alrighty.

I'm basing the Grittonian song on a old Icelandic disco/club song named 'Stanslaust Stuð' (Continuous Shock). The Grittonian song is also called 'Stanslaust Stuð' (the Grittonian accent makes the ð sound like a normal o).

And the Northern Palmouthian song is called 'Epic' and according to Vescia very 'Dylanesque'.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:53 am

Cachette de Lions wrote:I write Type 1, and tend to give the highest points to these entries. I think Type 2 is more risky, actually, as (maybe this is just me) if I know the original song, I judge it against the original, and if the lyrics are bad or don't fit I mark it down, something I can't do with Type 1. Type 1, though, does leave more to interpretation - for example, I have no idea if other people will have the same melody in my head as me for my lyrics, and other people may judge that as well.

About half of my past entries have been Type 1, the others Type 2, with both types seeming to have comparable ranges of success/failure.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Cachette de Lions
Envoy

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Cachette de Lions » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:19 am

Swilatia wrote:You're probably thinhking of Azerbaijan. Day After Day was great and all, but I don't think I'll be basing any of my entries on it.

Haha, Láska Jazmínki sounds more Slovak than Polish, to me anyway :P
Economic Left/Right: -4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.82

Grittonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Grittonia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:20 am

Cachette de Lions wrote:

Haha, Láska Jazmínki sounds more Slovak than Polish, to me anyway :P

When I look at Láska, I think of Laika the spacedog.

St Cairns
Attaché

Founded: Aug 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St Cairns » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:21 pm

I just saw WorldVision 15, and I'm really looking forward to this one now :D

Monchelle
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Monchelle » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:18 pm

I will be taking Nouevelle's place.
The Most Serene Republic of Monchelle | Thá Moczt Sêrené Ràpublîk ov Mònâçhelé
Peace sets over Monchelle! | Pêcá sét aux Mònâçhelé!

Factbook

Mecza - Dance
WorldVision Song Contest 16 Entry

Nouevelle
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouevelle » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Monchelle wrote:I will be taking Nouevelle's place.

Confirmed.

North Breifne
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Breifne » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:45 pm

As a small side note (haha),

New Instrumental Music Competition!
Proud Conservative, Catholic Capitalist!

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust." - Pslam 91:1-2

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates