NATION

PASSWORD

The Crown Prince’s Ball (Meillur-Only)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Patuania
Envoy

Founded: May 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:24 pm

Oruk’s smile grew. She stood a step to the side. And then another. And another till she was slowly, leisurely circling the Crown Prince, the trailing skirts of her dress following behind her like the tail of a great beast in the ocean depths.

“I adore music,” Oruk said an emphasis on the second the three words. She was continuously surprised by just how flustered he seemed to be. “Though as I was telling Her Highness, I find my homeland’s choices rather… lacking in their variety. I think that your Empire can provide new styles more to my liking.”

Colfico
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 19, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Colfico » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:33 pm

The Chamberlain listened carefully to her speaking, he genuinely enjoyed the conversation he was having with her, however, he noticed her eyes watering at the mention of penguins being eaten, and made a mental note to be careful on the topic of things being eaten.

"They are, they combine large size and power with intelligence and excellent hunting senses, however, despite that, they are quite beautiful creatures, having a near pitch black top, with a grey spot behind the dorsal fin, contrasted by a near perfect white underside, which all helps them to blend in with the water. While it is not unheard of, direct confrontations between them and humans are quite rare."

He was caught by her asking whether he would be joining the expedition, he thought about it, before giving his answer.

"I would certainly like to, although it will be very heavily dependent on how events are playing out, and if I do, I would have to be prepared to leave at any moment if my duties called me back home." He then said "But if it is possible, it would not take much persuading to get me on the ship."

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:49 pm

Andeja lowered his glass, looking out into nothing as he considered the different styles of music in the country. He found the energy of the topic flow through him as he remained only absent-mindedly aware of princess moving around him. The part of him that was aware wanted his eyes to track her movement, but he was sure that would make him look silly and he didn’t want to look silly in front of her.

“Well you’ve come to the perfect place. My great grandfather was very into the preservation of cultural expression across the empire and so it has lead to a marvelous revival of a lot of folk music types. The Aukusa Bay Area has developed all kinds of music. Jaja is a rather recent development it has a rather lively swing to it.”

Cel nodded with great interest as she listened to Felix’s description of the orca. They sounded like quite the exotic animal, both pitch black and pure white. A large. Her imagination ran rather wild as she tried to consider how but it would have to be to be able to challenge a whale.

“I think I would like to see you join in it. Of course, I understand, you have responsibilities, you are very important after all, but I think that it would ease my nerve if I were join and he greeted with a now familiar face.”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:03 pm

“Jaja?” Asked Oruk with a thoughtful expression on her face as she round behind Andeja’s back and reappeared on the other side of him, pivoting as she did so that she came to a stop before him, closer than they had been before. “You said it has a bit of a swing to it? Does that mean that it’s one of your preferred genres here?”

Colfico
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Colfico » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:21 pm

Felix nodded, before speaking.

"I cannot make any promises, because I don't know what the future holds, but I will certainly if it is possible."

It did seem odd to him somewhat that she was so determined to do it with him there as well, he was fond of her, but they had just met, and she made it sound like they were good friends, or perhaps even more, but he had to admit that the idea of going on the expedition was certainly appealing, it would both be fun, and a chance to make a difference beyond being a soldier and a servant to the queen.

"I do have to warn you though, the vessel that will be the mothership to the submersibles will not exactly be a luxury cruise liner, it is a former naval auxiliary ship converted from a cargo ship which is being modified for the task, its comforts are going to be lacking compared to dedicated liners and yachts, although it wont be as spartan as it was in its navy days."

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:32 pm

Andeja took in a deep breath. “It’s not a favorite kind of music, but is enjoyable. It’s nice for casual dancing I think. I okay it on the gramophone at hine when I am studying. It is a relaxing kind of music, even if it can make you want to dance sometimes, but then there are other moments when it’s just…” the crown prince took in another deep breath as thought if the feeling of working on a protect in one of the palatial dorm rooms at Ezikwizalo University (on account of it having once been a palace) while a record spun on the gramophone, filling his space with music, the sounds of trumpets, piano and saxophone filling his ears and focusing his mind. He always felt more focused when there was music playing. “It can be transcendent.”

“Oh, Well,” Cel said considering, “I’ve never been on a luxury ocean liner. Or any ocean liner. I did get to have brunch on a yacht once. One of my father’s partners owns one, though he never goes sailing and just keeps it on the dock, oh, and anyway, our families had lunch on it. It was nice. Smaller than you think.”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:41 pm

Oruk chuckled softly as she looked at Andeja’s face when he spoke. Though nothing physically change, with his words the crown prince seem to light up from within for a moment. No longer a flustered boy, but one who had found his joy. He must really love music she realized. Not in the way that everyone loved music, because honestly only monstered didn’t like some kind of music, but he did so in a very telling way.

“And you are telling me that that is not your favorite kind?”

Colfico
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Colfico » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:37 pm

The Chamberlain nodded, before smiling and said "Then it should not be an issue, besides, if things go to plan, we will only be spending more time in the water, either in a sub or on a dive, than on the ship itself, if that is what you would like to do."

He met her eyes with his, he knew full well what he would likely be setting in motion doing all this, going on a safari, and spending an extended time on a ship with her. But it would also give him the opportunities he needed to get to know her, and fully understand her personality before he decided to move forward.

"But we have plenty of time to plan for that, we still have the rest of the night to enjoy." He offered her a hand before saying "You should show me what your favorite food and drinks are, im not familiar with cuisine in Aukusa City."

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:02 am

“No, jaja is good music, but,” Andeja glanced around and lowered his voice, “I really like something called urutarepop. It’s not really traditional, but it uses a blend of a traditional drum beat with guitar and vocals. It’s real fast paced and works on a four four tempo. Some of its older stuff had some more, eh,” Andeja made a seesaw motion with his hand, “subversive lyrics, but I like the newer bands. They are way less moody and have a cool fire to them.”

Urutarepop, popular amongst the young people of the major cities of the Empire, had in fact once been banned for the aforementioned ‘subversive’ lyrics of its originators, who had rebelled against the strict preservation, and thus rejection of new age ideas during the reign of Andeja I. Aukusa City itself had been the site of several raids on underground clubs for the cause of playing antiestablishment lyrics. The harsh punishment killed the words of the musical movement, but not its tone or beat.

The form that Crown Prince Andeja had grown to like, like many others his age, was newer, rebranded for more happy, light hearted tones (and thus inoffensive and not banned). Part of what some in the field of anthropology, such as Dr. Felicity Songa dubbed the Pastel Hedonism of young adults born well after the Great Collapse. Those born before and having lived through it tended, argued Dr. Songa, to be a largely conservative and utilitarian. Those said to be “born after the end of world” had a more indulgent sense of self and short term gratification. A sort of reintroduction of the century old sentiment of ‘Y.O.L.O’.

Cel smiled and accepted the chamberlain’s hand. “Oh, of course. Aukusa City is the foodie capital of the world you know. We have the best of everything. I am sure that the royals have the best kitchens. I heard that Her Grace hired Max Tyali to cater the event, so the dishes here are going to be absolutely heart breaking. Oh, but in a good way,” assured Cel.

Colfico
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Colfico » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:11 pm

Felix felt her take his hand, and let her lead him away, not really sure where she was taking him. However, he found himself caught up in her energy, which he noticed seemed to surround her. He knew that holding her hand like that was probably drawing attention, but he did not particularly mind. If nothing else, it might help keep away those with less honest intentions.

“It certainly sounds like you have enjoyed his food before, so I shall have to differ to the expert.”

Imarati
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Imarati » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:12 pm

Besarion couldn’t help but marvel a bit as he stepped into the courtyard. The grandiose style reminded him of the cathedrals in which he had been raised. With slightly less gold and significantly less statues of disapproving saints. All his life he had been taught by Father Melikishvili that to be king was a holy duty, one of reverence and service. But seeing the way the southerners treated their royalty, he couldn’t help but question the starkness of Imarati and her neighbors. He had fought hard for his throne, had he not? Why shouldn’t he live in the same splendor as these people.

It was not just the building or the decor or the army of servants waiting on everyone on hand and feet that caught Besarion’s eye. It was the women as well. Especially the women. Amidst the cloistered life style of monastery where he had been raised and on the battlefield and in the ruined marshes, mountains and moors of his country, women had been excluded. He had been left a man starving without realizing he was starving. But here, it was as if he were a kid in a candy store. His eyes wandered and fixated on the Deritain and handful of other foreign women. Whatever his brother-in-law might say, the she-devils of the South were great exotic beauties.

Besarion snapped his fingers, calling on a nearby waiter and snatched up a drink, and taking a greedy gulp of it.

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:09 pm

Oruk was amused by how Andeja spoke about music. The way he lowered his voice and leaned in, she did the same, mirroring his motion almost reflexively. He talked as if they were exchanging state secrets rather than discussing their favorite bands. Was it his hobby? She wondered thoughtfully. Was he any good at it? She imagined the crown prince bouncing across a stage wielding a guitar as he sung pop ballads and had to bite her lip from laughing at the thought.

“I would love to hear some sometime, Your Imperial Highness.”

Elsewhere in the courtyard, Kiayon watched Besarion and his hungry eyes and felt bile rise in her throat. She quickly plucked up a glass from the waiter that the king had called over and took a sip to push the vile contents back down. Part of her didn’t blame Besarion. She didn’t care what he or Father Melikishvili claimed, Besarion was little more than a boy, both in age and in mind. And she found no love being his babysitter.

“Do try not to drink too much.”

Imarati
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Imarati » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:03 pm

Besarion shot Kiayon a glare out of the side of his eye, and in a show of defiance,grabbed another glass, down the rest of his first one and slammed it back onto the waiter’s tray so hard that it shattered. He whirled on Kiayon.

“I can drink the best Imaratian soldiers under the table, I can handle some pissy Southerner sweet wine. And I’ll have as much as I goddamn like,” Besarion al but growled at his wife. He was a grown ass man and he had not listened to the commands of one woman, Grand Duchess Helena who he had seen executed in the street like the dog she was. He had no intention of listening to another. “Is that understood?”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:42 pm

Kiayon’s lips formed a tight straight line as she took a step back from Besarion, her face being covered by a cold expressionless mask. Ah. That was why she did blame him. She had almost forgotten. But now she remembered. A boy he may be. But that boy was also a monster. Perhaps burn that way. Perhaps twisted by life in a monastery or by the horrors of war. It didn’t matter. He was still a monster.

“I understand,” Kiayon said cooly.

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:21 pm

“Oh, I’m no expert,” said Cel with a bashful blush. “Though I suppose my appreciation for good cuisine is well on display.” As if to make her point, she her ample hip to the side and then to the other in a playful sway. While the statuesque thin and tall figures were still the oppressive beauty standards of the mainland, Aukusa City was far more welcoming to people of all body shapes and sizes. “Oh, I’d cut back, but samosas are simply too good!”

Andeja too felt himself blushing as he saw Oruk lean in towards him. He felt his heart skip a bit as she but her lip and spoke in a low voice to him, entirely unaware that he had just done the same thing moments before. The tips of his ears burned red and suddenly thrr egg entire world seemed very, very hot.

“Really?” Andeja said with a bit more excitement in his voice than he had meant. He quickly cleared he throat and tried to show cooler, for a moment making an— admittedly poor— impression of Keoni. “I mean, really?” He said, going to nonchalant. “That sounds cool. I guess,” he quickly added.

Near the entrance of the courtyard several of the guests turned towards the king and queen of Imarati as the sound of shattered glass briefly rose above the sound of people talking and the music. The waiter quietly said, “I am so sorry, forgive me Your Majesties,” before bowing and retreating. The staff were trained to humble themselves even when the fault lay with the guest. It kept the echos of those in attendance from being too badly bruised.

Colfico
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Colfico » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:32 pm

Felix could not help but watch her hips sway, they certainly were something, they definitely we’re pleasing to look at.

He was about to speak when he heard a glass shatter, and looked towards the sound of the disturbance, and when he saw the source he frowned for a moment, gazing upon the king of Imarati with a short but telling glare. There were times where he had wished he had been deployed to the country during its civil war, but he had been amongst those who opposed direct involvement, and with good reason. However, it was that decision which was why the king was here at all. If him and his men had been allowed to fight, he would be in a prison cell, rather than wearing a crown.

However he turned back to Cel, throwing the glare away for a smile, and said “Well it certainly seems to be paying off for you. Besides, what is on display does certainly have its appeal.” He let his eyes playfully trace her form before saying “and it sounds like a good enough reason to me.”
Last edited by Colfico on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:10 pm

Oruk was a bit taken aback by Andeja’s attempt to be smooth, and she quickly saw right through it. The crown prince was not good at pretending or fronting she thought, making a mental note of that. He was better off being flustered and good natured. It was far more endearing. Still, Oruk couldn’t help but mess with him a bit.

“Yes,” she said with mocking eagerness. “Very cool.” She rolled her eyes and took a step closer to him. She dropped the joking tone. “Honestly, though. I would love for you to show me more of that urutarepop and jaja and everything else. Maybe just you and me and a few dozen records?”

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:32 pm

“Oh my,” Cel said, looking towards we’re the brief commotion had originated from. “I would have thought the Duchess to have less clumsy staff.” Cel shrugged her shoulders and let her attention drift back to Felix as his words registered in her brain. She smoothed her dress, letting her hands alike over her hips and sips her thighs as her dress swished under her touch. She smiled sheepishly and her eyes darted across Felix. He cut a figure in his uniform.

“Oh, thank you. I’d say the display before me has its appeal as well.”

Andeja was nodding his head vigorously. What Oruk described sounded like heaven to Andeja. He could see them in his dorm— former apartments in the Ezikwizalo University complex that were vaster than most family homes— the two of them laying on the floor looking up at the ceiling gas they went through a playlist of the greatest artists of all time, from Borisaveny to I Ivampu.

Before he could say anything the music above them changed, sliding almost seemlessly into the introduction of New Expectations, the Russen waltz that had been a favorite of Empress Alara, Andeja’s great-great-grandmother. He glanced over his shoulder and found Jean moving through the crowd with a grin and thumbs up. It, the music, began slow, almost melancholic as it built up with the sounds of violins. For a moment the crown prince was on a cloud as he listened to the music, mentally picking out each instrument from the hidden orchestra by ear. Then he remembered Oruk and that she could, perhaps, join him on his cloud.

Recalling his extensive etquiette, the Crown Prince took a step or two back, took Oruk’s hand and asked, “Would you care to dance?”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:25 am

Oruk looked up at the sky, pondering where the musicians must be hidden. The sound was to fresh and too crisp to be a record on a gramophone or something of that nature. Her curiosity however was pushed to her side as Andeja took her hand and asked her to dance. She noticed he didn’t bow. Was it because he was crown prince? She imagined the Imperial Family never bowed. In their titles themselves they were ranked first amongst all royals. Oruk didn’t mind.

“I would love to dance,” Oruk said, “lead the way.”

Across the courtyard, the Paras had been silently drifting between groups of talking party goers. Most of it, not to his surprise, was idle chatter. They spoke of food and art, and the fanciful lives of the rich and psuedophilanthropic. Those who seemed to know didn’t seem keen on talking to him, and in that they were silently agreed. The opulence was almost mind numbing. He spotted the arrival of his sister and the King of Imarati, his attention focused on Oruk and the crown prince. He watched the crown prince glance over his shoulder at some and found his attention drawn elsewhere once again

Like a shade the Paras made his way to the Deritain, tilted his head as he approached. “Do I know you?” Kanatus asked as he reached him.

Colfico
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Colfico » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:24 am

The Chamberlain shook his head "It would seem in this particular instance, it is not the staff that is to blame, someone has allowed their power and title get to their head." He then said "It is a shame the staff here put up with it, although it speaks to the strength of their character that they do."

He was about to say something when he saw a somewhat familiar face, or rather, one that he recognized from one of the many defence strategy meetings he had attended, Paras Kanatus, the sight of which made the Chamberlain frown, and visibly become at least a little more alert. It was no secret within the ranks of the National Colficoan Army that the Paras was very high on the watchlist of the National Assembly. However, he turned his attention, at least most of it, to Cel, he was not here to start anything, and he would not if he could help it.

Felix smiled, and his ears turned a slight red hue, and he said "Thank you, I aim to please, and it is assuring that I have hit my mark."

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:13 pm

Andeja smile and did just as Oruk asked, and lead her onto the the dance floor. The dance floor was a platform raised a few inches up from the rest of the vast court it’s lamenated wood finish glossy and smooth. As the music began the dance floor was quickly cleared as the crowd gathered around to watch the Crown Prince. Like spectators as a theatre they drew quiet, reducing their words to a whisper, some pulled out binoculars and seeing glasses as they sought to see the royals as they took to the stage.

All could agree that the Crown Prince and the Patunian Princess certainly cut quite the look. Him, tall and celestial with his dark skin handsome visage and his beautiful black and gold suit, the very embodiment of the glorious future of the Empire. Her, cold a and light as snow, with her pale skin and her white hair made her exotic and fascinating, a living snowflake in her breathtaking dress of white and silver, a princess of the North.

Royals, politicians, business magnates, socialites and common people alike saw the contrast, the symbolism and the glamor of the moment. However, as Andeja pulled Oruk close as he took up the first position of the waltz, they didn’t seem to notice the smile on her lips, or the redness of his ears.

Jean watched too was watching his friend, but was surprised to find him dancing with a different princess than the one he had left him with. He raised an eyebrow and wondered what had happened to Princess Adela. Thus Jean was a tad startled when a tall man seemed to appear out of nowhere, asking him if he knew him. Jean tore his eyes away from the dancing royals and looked up at the man. He tilted his head with a polite smile.

“I don’t think so?”

Cel frowned slightly. She wasn’t sure of what to make of his comment and the way he looked at several of the guests with such disdain. A staffer could of course make a mistake. “Why would you say that? Do you know him?”

Colfico
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Colfico » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:55 pm

“I know of him, or rather I read the intelligence reports on him during the Imaratian Civil War. At that time, a deployment to the area had been likely, as my unit is specialized in the kind of fighting that was expected to be seen in that area.” He then said “Information on his past is limited, however, you don’t survive the Colficoan Civil War by missing small details. He slammed that glass down, it was not dropped.”

He turned his attention back to her, although keeping the Paras in his sight.

“But we shouldnt let it put a damper on the good time we came here to have. You should show me some of those Somosas you say you love so much.”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:38 pm

Oruk grinned as Andeja pulled her close. She placed her hand on his shoulder, letting him take the lead in the dance. She was vaguely aware of many pairs of eyes on her, but she didn’t find herself caring. She followed in step with Andeja, her skirts swishing across the smooth wood of the dance floor behind her.

“Why was this the empress’s favorite?” Oruk asked. “It seems a bit melancholic don’t you think?”

Kanatus took a step closer to the other man, leaning forward as he inspected his features. There was a flicker of a memory in them. Something he couldn’t quite recall, tugging on a string. As his mind searched for the knot.

“It is just,” the Paras said leaning closer, his blue eyes focusing on those hazel ones. “It is just you seem so familiar and I can not imagine I could forget such a pretty face.”

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:16 pm

Cel nodded, though she didn’t understand the entirety of what Felix, but she followed along well enough to understand he suspected the king of smashing the glass. She still thought that a bit unlikely. Royals posed and graceful. That was what they were known for, even foreign royals, even if they weren’t a candle to the Imperials of the Empire. She decided to stick with his conclusion and called on a different waiter.

“Oh, fetch us a tray of samosas,” Cel said. The masked waiter bowed in acknowledging and retreating, making his way to the far end of the courtyard where a buffet of finger foods had been layer out. Maakouda, frittered potatoes fried with parsley, onions and stuffed with cheese, Aukusan brik, lamented layers of flaky pastry around a savory center with buttered honey drizzled over it, and Suya, thin pieces of fire roasted beef on small sticks.

More varied dishes were abound. And of course there were samosas, the fried pastry filled with spiced potatoes covered in a thin powdering of sugar. The waiter elected a small tray and returned to Cel and Felix, the former of the two was trying to glance a better glimpse of the Crown Prince dancing.

The Crown Prince, indeed dancing with Oruk, let out a small laugh at his dance partner’s question. It was a fair one. “No one knows quite what Empress Alara was on about I think. She was quite the striking personality. She was known as the terrible and the awe-inspiring, depending on the time of day. But her taste in art, while skewed to darker undertones, is not wholly bad. Take this song. It may seem slow and sad, but that only the beginning. Wait for it.”

Andeja looked at Oruk knowingly as the music slowly built up, the string moving fast and singing higher and higher until… silence. Andeja took in a breath. Suddenly the music returned, thunderous and faster. Andeja moved with each note as they he and Oruk whirled across the dance floor to the music.

“The song is about the Battle of Tver,” Andeja said, “in which the empress slaughtered her enemies in so great a number that the streets were permanently stained red. So it goes from slow and sad, in the anticipation, and then the mayhem of the fight.” Andeja said as he kept pace with the music, strings and drums blending together in a beautiful clash. The original had not included drums, that had been a Deritain attention over time.

Jean meet the blue eyes of the pale red headed stranger, and found his curiosity piqued, having not expected the compliment, despite himself. Perhaps Keoni had been correct in telling him to loosen up. He didn’t much mind his new conversational companion. He was handsome for an older guy. Jean looked at his uniform and tried to place it but couldn’t, though he found it adding to the man appeal.

“I wouldn’t have taken you for the flirtatious type. Aren’t soldiers usually a bit more serious?”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:55 pm

“I see!” Oruk laughed as she had to quickly catch-up with Andeja’s lead. She had been taught the waltz before she’s arrived in the Celestial Empire, but she had never had to perform it at such a quick pace. She was suddenly very thankful that she had gone for modest flat as opposed to the more stylish heels. Still, she had to work carefully to avoid stepping on Andeja’s toes. “A waltz about war, my, I feel right at home.”

Kanatus let sly smirk form along his lips. He watched with a bit of pride as those hazel eyes flickered over him and his uniform and seemed to like what he saw. The same was true for the Paras. He leaned closer to the other man.

“In war certainly. Though we are not at war.” Though Paras Kanatus certainly intended on doing some form of conquest that evening, “And when one is met with a vision such as yourself, who could help themselves?”

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates