NATION

PASSWORD

AS1/AFT|WHF59|Orongumilá, Achaean Rep.|IC Thread

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Founded: May 26, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Phase One

Postby Achaean Republic » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:00 pm

DANIA PACHECO: There you have it, ladies and gentlemen! Mr. Guy Autriche! Well, here is the moment we’ve all been waiting for. It’s time to begin…Phase One! Now, this phase will reveal two thirds of the countries’ cumulative scores from one to four points. We will reveal the results from the countries with the least amount of cumulative points to the country or countries who received the most. But let’s not forget that there’s still another phase to reveal. So, Buena suerte to everybody! You are all winners this night—and very sweet ones indeed! Good luck!

DANIA PACHECO:The first pair of countries with the least amount of points… I’m sorry to say…

South Africa and NZSW Saint Martin receive no points!

DANIA PACHECO:The next country to receive one point is…

Fromulya!

[align=centerImage[/align]

DANIA PACHECO:Up next, with five points, is…

Faraby!

DANIA PACHECO: Next up, a country that received six points…

Faraby!

DANIA PACHECO: And we keep going up! With seven points, two nations are stepping up…

Kalosia and Not Auphelia!

DANIA PACHECO: Two more nations receive eight points…

Hafamarimët and Nightom!

DANIA PACHECO: With nine points, one nation continues to gain points…

Darkmania!

DANIA PACHECO: Oh, would you look at that! Three countries managed to get 11 points! Let’s see who they are!

Achaean Republic, Beepee, and Mercedini!

DANIA PACHECO: With 13 points, another nation gets into the lead. Let’s see who is it:

Carrelie!

DANIA PACHECO: And then let’s look at another country with 18 points!

Pemecutan!

DANIA PACHECO: There’s another country in the lead with 20 points! And that country is…

the Alezian Union!

DANIA PACHECO: And now, another country jumps to the lead with 22 points! Let’s see who’s the lucky one to do so!

Britonisea!

DANIA PACHECO: Finally, the winner with 23 points, clinching the top spot of Phase One…

Malta Comino Gozo!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

So Far, Phase Two

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:30 pm

Laura Hamilton was standing behind a table near the center of the stage, awaiting to begin Phase Two.

LAURA HAMILTON: Thank you, Dania! And right now, let’s take a quick look at the results:

LAURA HAMILTON: (voiceover) In third place, we have the Alezian Union with 20 points! (Cheers could be heard, particularly from the Alezians in the audience, cheering for their nation.) In second place, Britonisea with 22 points! (The Britonish were cheering and loudly clapping while others were playfully booing. Britonisea is always expected to perform well, but not extremely well that would arise some suspicions of the true results.) And finally, in first place we have Malta Comino Gozo with 23 points! (The Malta Comino Gozoans were ecstatic at their first place, clinging to their sentiments with the utmost cheers.) But remember—this is only two thirds of the vote.

Now, Phase Two rules are simple: Each country will reveal their top 5 points to an entry. Whoever gets the most points at the end of the voting wins the World Hit Festival! Who will win? I guess we shall find out soon!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: South Africa

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:35 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: And we begin our journey with South Africa! Buenas noches, Robert Viljoen!

ROBERT VILJOEN: Hello Achaean Republic and Good Evening South Africa , I'm your Spokesperson , Robert Viljoen , South Africa's votes Goes to…

KALOSIA!

If you are disappointed that South Africa did not get any votes , So am I but it is the rules anyways Good Night South Africa , and remember Unity is Strength!

LAURA HAMILTON: La Calosie, cinc points! Thank you!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Mercedini

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:41 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: And now, here’s Mercedini with Gloria Anglidu revealing the votes! Buenas noches, Gloria!

GLORIA ANGLIDU: Good Evening Achaea! This is Zoloroni calling! We're so happy to be finally back with all of our World Hit Festival family, best of luck to all of the participating acts tonight. Without further ado, here are our points from Mercedini! And our five points to go…

NIGHTOM!

LAURA HAMILTON: Nightome, cinc points! Thank you!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Hafamarimët

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:51 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: So Bïdnel Halnetka from Hafamarimët is here, and the country is ready to reveal their votes!

BÏDNEL HALNETKA: Buenos noches Orongumilá! Muchas gracias para el fantástico show! Entonces, here are the sweet results of the Hafamari vote, with so much love from all of us. And our five points to to…

KALOSIA!

LAURA HAMILTON: La Calosie, cinc points! ¡Gracias y de nada!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Nightom

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:56 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: Nightom is here! Buenas noches, Noah! It’s been a while since we’ve last seen you!

NOAH GUNNERSON: Hekki Acaya, my name is Noah Gunnarson calling from Knightinham, the capital of Nightom. Thanks for the wonderful show. Our five points go to…

ALEZIAN UNION!

LAURA HAMILTON: Alezienne Unie, cinc points! ¡Thank you!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: NZSW Saint Martin

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:07 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: We have a newcomer here! For New Zealandic South West Saint Martin, it’s…Jenobenothyly the…clown!? (Hamilton’s look showcased a mixture of perplexion and concern.

JENOBENOTHYLY THE CLOWN: Oh! Hello, people! I'm here to present the 5 points of the... New Zealandic jury! So, our five points go to…

NOT AUPHELIA!

LAURA HAMILTON: Pas auphelie, cinc points! Um…okay…Thank you…I gues this is the part of the show where it gets weird and I am dehydrated…

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Alezian Union

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:17 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: And Emilia from a newly familiar country is here! Bienvenidos, Alezian Union! Welcome!

EMILIA ROUSLAVANAIS: Buenas Noches, Orongumila! Alezian Union Calling for the first time from Zafizamarrah! Thank you so much for the wonderful and sweet festival! Very fun indeed! And the entries, all of them are great! Okay, the five votes from the Alezian Union go to…

ACHAEAN REPUBLIC!

LAURA HAMILTON: Republique acheanne, cinc points! (She began to shout louder in Spanish.) ¡República Acayana, cinco puntos! Thank you so much!

The audience in the arena went wild for the Achaean votes. They were playing instruments, banging pots and pans, shouting, and having an old-fashioned fiesta.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Faraby

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:24 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: Farabí is next! Welcome, Konstantinos Adamos! May we have the votes, please?

KONSTANTINOS ADAMOS: Konstantinos Adamos appears on the screen, looking rather pleased with himself. “Hello there, folks, we meet again. My divorce was finalized this week and that cheating, two-faced traitor of a gold digger sure ain’t getting any of my money! Anyway I’m Konstantinos Adamos, and from Faraby City, here’s Faraby’s points!

LAURA HAMILTON: Um, glad to hear.

KONSTANTINOS ADAMOS: And five points go to…

BRITONISEA!

LAURA HAMILTON: Britonisie, cinc points! Thank you so much!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Malta Comino Gozo

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:28 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: Malta Comino Gozo is here to present their votes! Buenas noches, Benjamin! How are you doing down there?

BENJAMIN WASHINGTON: Good Evening Orongumilá! Good Evening Everyone! This is Valletta calling! Marcelo we love you! Oh wow, what a fantastic show tonight! Thank you for taking us around this sweet country of yours. Now our favourite... the 5 points, are going to ...

BEEPEE! Thank you!

LAURA HAMILTON: Beepee, cinc points! Thank you—call me!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Britonisea

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:34 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: This is for our friends in Britonisea! Hello, Rakesh! May we please have our votes?

RAKESH HAYRE: Hello everybody, this is Doportedas calling and I'm here to announce the five points from the joint Britonish Jury and Televote. It has been a wonderful evening and I've seriously enjoyed watching with my huge glass of rum...and swiss roll! Right, our five points go to...

MERCEDINI!

LAURA HAMILTON: La Mercedine, cinc points!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Not Auphelia

Postby Achaean Republic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:44 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: Up next, Not Auphelia! Buenas noches, Ada! May we have your results, please?

ADA: Hello World Hit Festival! This has been a wonderful contest and we are so honoured to be able to participate for the second time tonight. You have all been brilliant, but in the end we simply had to award our five points to . . .

HAFAMARIMËT!

LAURA HAMILTON: Hafamarimët, cinc points!
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Carrelie

Postby Achaean Republic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:51 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: Carrelie is here! Welcome! May we have your votes, please?

JUDITA VON DER MARCK: Buenas noches Achaea! I'm Judita von der Marck, and what a great show it's been tonight! Good luck to Vian! Now, here's the 5 points of our very own Carrelian jury! And five points go to...

KALOSIA!

JUDITA VON DER MARCK: (voiceover) Thank you so much!

LAURA HAMILTON: Calosie, cinc points!
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Adab

Postby Achaean Republic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:54 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: And let’s welcome Adab to the stage! Buenas noches!

JUDITA VON DER MARCK: ( Filippos appears on the screen. It’s a bit fuzzy because of the weak signal in the Tibetan monastery where he’s at.) Hello there, Orongumilá! Weather isn’t too good right now here in Tibet so I’m sorry if there’s a lag in the connection. I’ve been telling the monks to upgrade to 5G, but they said it’ll take time… anyway I’m Filippos Eliades and here’s the points from Adab!”

ACHAEAN REPUBLIC!

LAURA HAMILTON: Republique acheanne, cinc points!

The crowd once again began cheering for the home entry with an almost deafening sound only Achaeans know how to make.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Pemecutan

Postby Achaean Republic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:57 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: Welcome Pemecutan! Hello, Satya! Buenas noches!

SATYA WIRADHARMA: Om Swastiastu, Good Evening and Rahajeng Wengi, Orongumila. Hello from me again in this edition of World Hit Festival. First I'm congratulate to all participants. You are all great! And now for the main course. Pemecutan’s five points goes to....
ADAB!

LAURA HAMILTON: Adabie, cinc points!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Fromulya

Postby Achaean Republic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:03 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: Fromulya is here! Buenas noches!

ANNEKE DAMAYANTI: Hello everyone, warm kisses from Paris Baru. Here is the vote from Fromulya. Our 5 points go to...

MERCEDINI!

LAURA HAMILTON: Mercedinie, cinc points!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Darkmania

Postby Achaean Republic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:08 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: Darkmania’s turn to reveal five points is here! Hello!

ANNEKE DAMAYANTI: Olá. Esta é a chamada Darcênia. Que show maravilhoso. I hope I said it right! (Tranlation of the portuguese line "Hello. This is Darkmania calling. What a wonderfull show." ) And Darkmania’s five points go to…

KALOSIA!

LAURA HAMILTON: La calosie, cinc points!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Kalosia

Postby Achaean Republic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:14 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: Kalosia’s next! Buenas noches, Domeniku!

DOMENIKU KAL’ARI: Bonëserë and good evening everyone! So delighted to be with you all here tonight. Let's see how Kalosia has voted. 5 points go to...

BRITONISEA!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Beepee

Postby Achaean Republic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:20 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: Beepee is here! Hello! Buenas noches!

BOB UPPEN-DOWNE: Good Evening Orongumilá. This is Beepee calling. Thank you for the marvellous show, its been a great evening. And now... here is the result of Beepee's jury.... our points go to....

BRITONISEA!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase Two: Achaean Republic

Postby Achaean Republic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:23 pm

LAURA HAMILTON: And last but not least, you may have heard of this country… It’s the Achaean Republic! ¡Buenas noches, Itamar! Take it away with our points!

ITAMAR: ¡Buenas noches, Laura! ¡Buenas noches, Acaya! Thank you so much for this amazing journey, and I am glad someone else is going through this journey very, very soon! I wish all of you good luck, lots of love, and a bit of sweetness to spice up your life. And now, our five points from the Achaean Republic go to…

BRITONISEA!

LAURA HAMILTON: Britonisie, cinc points! And that means only one thing…

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

And The Winner Is...

Postby Achaean Republic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Britonisea is the winner of the 59th World Hit Festival! ¡Felicidades, Britonisí! Congratulations!

Last edited by Achaean Republic on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

¡Buenas Noches desde Orongumilá!

Postby Achaean Republic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:32 pm

The colors in the arena turned to orange, red, blue and white. A stage light was focused on the Britonish delegation with a stunned Josh Morris, who—for the first time in almost seven editions—was able to give Britonisea with a stunning victory. He hugged his immediate delegation, maybe shedding a tear or two (or a brow of sweat, it was too hard to tell at the time with everything happening around him). The same merengue song appeared on the loudspeakers, turning the arena into a big dance party as Morris walked with a Britonish flag, and another Achaean flag beside him, to the stage so he could perform again. Beside him was Laura Hamilton, walking him over the stage. In the stage, several stagehands were ready to prepare his entry. Dania Pacheco was stading beside Itamar, who changed clothes to wear a rainbow stripe maxi dress with coiffed hair, standing with a sugarcane-shaped trophy ready for the winner.

It was an amazing ending for both AS1 and AFT, partners for a wonderful night of television. It was also a victory for BVC once again, who may or may not have in its hands the power of hosting the diamond edition of the festival. What will they do? One could hope it’s sweet! But now it was time to go and say good night from Orongumilá, the Queen of Sugar, and spread some sweetness into the rest of the world.

LAURA HAMILTON: Thank you so much for joining us during this journey! Thank you everybody, and especially Britonisea—the winners!

DANIA PACHECO: We hope you enjoyed this sweet evening right here in the Achaean Republic, and we hope to see you next time, in the 60th World Hit Festival!

LAURA HAMILTON: Bonsoir! ¡Buenas noches!

DANIA PACHECO: Buenas noches, and let’s hear it once again for Josh Harris from Britonisea! ¡Buen provecho!

Britonisea
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Winner | 01 | Britonisea | Josh Morris - Mine

Postby Britonisea » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:26 pm

#WINNER
Britonisea
Josh Morris - "Mine"

Language(s): English
Tune: Irama - La genesi de tuo colore
Entry Specifics
Trigramme: BRI
Lyrics: Atekon Shipton, Josh Morris
Music: Jayden Christopher, William Cross

Winner of the 59th World Hit Festival: Britonisea scores its eighth win at the World Hit Festival - the first win in almost a year. The 59th World Hit Festival marks the first time in seven editions that Britonisea has won...

As Laura and Dania closed off the show, the camera trained on Josh Morris who took the microphone and sugarcane-looking trophy. He smiled and kissed it to the applause of the Achaeans in the audience. How funny. The last time Britonisea hosted the competition, Achaean Republic won and now Achaean Republic hosted, just in time for the 60th World Hit Festival, Britonisea had won the trophy back from them. Britonisea had been wanting to win an edition before the major celebratory edition for a long time but always missed out. World Hit Festival 39 was a Vha Mehlodhivestoile entry that won the International Vote but that didn't materialise at the World Hit Festival. World Hit Festival 49 saw Britonisea host and come second to Izmedu. And finally, 59 was Britonisea's for the taking. The win was rather historic as well, with Josh Morris finishing 15 points clear from the winner, which is the second largest points margin between the winner and the second-placed act ever - the largest in almost 30 editions. Josh Morris took the microphone to his hands before speaking...

"I can't believe it, thank you all so much for voting for me and in this way, wow! I'd like to personally thank my team, my friends, and family for believing in me throughout the whole process - including at Vha Mehlodhivestoile too, God I'm so happy I signed up for that now! Ever since VM, I knew I had the Britonish support and that's all that really mattered to me but I am honoured to have fans from all across the globe now. This win means a lot and I'll be taking this home with me with gratitude and pride. Thank you all so much!"

- Josh Morris after winning World Hit Festival 59

Duration: 03:49
Main Vocalist 1: Josh Morris
Male Vocalist 1: Alexei Posagne (offstage)

Brityunik Vefecosoin Cairkovoin hadn't won the World Hit Festival for what would be now seven editions which translates to a full and complete year without a win. There have been close misses, however, with the country coming second and third at the 56th and 58th World Hit Festival, with a couple of top 5 finishes along the way since Bovingdon '53. The broadcaster grew slightly hungrier as the nation waits yet again for another win after missing out by a matter of a few points. Liam Narain did a fantastic job however, and definitely exceeded the expectations of the viewers who thought that a simple male ballad would fail to make an impact on the scoreboard. Liam said that he loved to experience and is something that he is willing to try again in the future. With that being said, the attention now turns to Josh Morris who was the current Britonish representative. He had a huge task on his hands - at the end of the day, of the eighteen nations that are participating in the World Hit Festival, Britonisea had the best record - and was ranked in the first position for the pots with quite some distance between first and second place. Some of the major hitters weren't participating in this edition such as Normandy and Picardy, Todlichebujoku and Izmedu - despite initial rumours that their broadcast would finally come back to the festival. There were even whispers about Euskirribakondara coming back - but none of this materialised. To round off the 50s decade, a smaller edition than what we have experienced - especially as of late - but definitely one that was going to be wide open. Who was going to host the 60th World Hit Festival? It was unclear, but whoever was to host, they must know that it would be a huge task if we're using the 40th and 50th World Hit Festival as an example of what is to come at the 60th edition. It would also be the final competitions for current World Hit Festival overseer Guy Autriche who only experienced one home edition of the Festival; compared to Fabio McAlpine's three. Perhaps that is just showing Britonisea's fortunes at the Festival - was the nation finally toppled by the likes of Normandy and Picardy and newer nations?

The first camera cut: Josh Morris can be seen facing the camera, but you can't see his face...

Josh Morris wasn't too thrilled about opening the show - it was a task that Britonisea hadn't done before at the World Hit Festival (or well, not in recent memory anyway). BVC was hoping that for the first time in the 50s, the country would be drawn in the second half just to spice things up - but it seemed as though that wasn't going to be the case - always destined for the first half. Cancelling out the 51st and 58th World Hit Festival, Britonisea was always expected to perform in the latter half of the running order of the first half, but due to the added clause which sees the first and last (well, the penultimate performance since Achaean Republic was suspiciously drawn to close the show), Britonisea was chosen to open the show. Compared to where he performed in Vha Mehlodhivestoile - both times in the second half - this was completely different for him but after his initial disappointment, he was excited to get on the stage. He wanted to set a great standard for the competition and with the song that he has - he would definitely try his hardest. Minutes after the show started, Josh Morris was whisked away backstage where the man started his myriad of vocal and breathing exercises in preparation for what would be the biggest performance of his life. He knew that not as many Britonish people would be watching as they did in Vha Mehlodhivestoile but he knew that the World Hit Festival had a big international appeal - more so than the ever-growing popular national final. He knew that this would the performance in which people remember him from and so that was a huge task. As he took a deep breath in, one of the Achaean stage personnel grabbed him - rather inappropriately for his standards - around the arm and said to him, "It's your time on the stage now." Josh Morris left out a nervous laugh as he was pulled along the corridor towards the main stage - his delegation following him very closely but also respecting social distancing measures that we're sure the Achaeans didn't really care that much about.

As he moved onto the big stage, he was greeted by the waft of thousands of people sitting in the arena tonight. The stage was an odd one - not only was it in 360, but it was a square - almost as though it was a boxing ring with people watching the performers battling it out. He wondered how the Achaeans would do the scoreboard in the arena near the end of the show, but I guess that was something he would find out at the end. It was interesting that the Britonish performance was first - in all honesty, it made sense. Britonisea wanted to excel in the staging category and bag another award this time duly sponsored by Fuego Airlines or whatever Achaean company wanted to exposure. There was a huge black box with an opening on one of the sides. The black box was around 3 metres tall and would be quite intricate to film. There were lights all along the edges of the block in order for dimensions to be seen clearly - but also strobe lights in the box itself. The top of the box was clear as well, with there being no lights apart from the bright spotlights being on display to give the illusion that was another black wall above him. The staging took some time to set up and we're sure that the stage personnel started during the host intervention. Josh took one last breath as the postcard came to an end. Josh enjoyed tasting the sweet treats that Orongumilá had to offer - slightly smiling to himself as he had memories of filming that postcard - a story that he couldn't wait to share with everyone at the end of the Festival.

It was time for the performance and the first thing that audiences could see is the masculine outline of Josh Morris' chest upwards. As shown on the image above, you couldn't see Josh Morris' facial features at all - just his body and he slightly swayed along with the heavenly strings at the beginning of the song. There were going to be a lot of personal shots of Josh Morris throughout the performance with the team at BVC wanting to create a confused and dysfunctional mood on the stage.

Before you leave, let me speak...
Let me say what went through my head
I'm not here to fight, not here to raise my voice, no
Don't want no back and forth, I'm in the wrong, I know

During the first section of the song, it was almost sung as though it was spoken word. You could tell that the words that were being said were personal to him - it was almost as though he was speaking to the woman in his life. Josh Morris penned this song himself - lyrics-wise and had Jayden Christopher and William Cross write the song that matched the themes that he came up with within his head. Essentially, the song is a real-life account of the things that went wrong between him and his partner. It is something that he is ashamed of but he has the courage to hold his head up and admit to the things that he did wrong. There would be times in the past where Britonish lyricists would try and fine-tune the lyrics in the song but making it grammatically correct, but Josh wanted it to be in exactly the way he speaks in day-to-day life. Thus, in the lyrics such as "Don't want no", it wasn't changed but you could tell that the words were true to him and that was the essence that they wanted to bring to the stage. At the national final, Josh Morris' song had way past 80 camera cuts and ahead of the performance in the Achaean Republic, they really had to think about whether that was feasible - could the Achaeans do it? The camerawork in both the countries was bound to be different, but Josh wanted to keep a load of the elements that he had at the national final with one of those elements being the flickering camera angles and whatnot so after some clear directions from the team at BVC, they took a risk but doing such a high energy performance in Orongumilá. Throughout the first verse, apart from the first line which was focused on Josh Morrris' face - we started to show different parts of his body - such as his hands, before showing his chest which - in and amongst the darkness - had a red beam pointing at him, similar to the ones you'd find if you were about to be shot. The lights which lined the bottom of the box flickered with low intensity, with parts of Josh Morris being shown in between the shaky and quick camera jumps. As we moved into the next verse of the song, you could hear Alexei Posagne - the name of the main backing vocalist humming in the back, repeating some of the words that Josh Morris was singing. The pair of them get on very well as they both had quite similar voices which jelled pretty well when singing.

Hear me out as I make one final plea, I'm begging, I'm begging
I'm brought to my knees, don't ignore me
Just one more chance, I'm not asking for much
Then our future's in your hands, will you decide to stay?
Will you leave?

As we move into the thirty-second mark in the performance, there was a remarkable difference, as the strobes turned on all around which exposed Josh Morris completely, from a shot slightly further away to show the huge expanse of the box in which he was standing in. Josh Morris slightly tilted his head backwards, swaying along to the song, and tightly grasping his palm as he begged the person he was singing to. You could hear some cheers from the audience as strobes lit up the box around him - showing him in and amongst the light. His white shirt blended in with the background slightly as Alexei sang that first line of the pre-chorus with him - the echoic reverb sending waves throughout the arena. As Josh sang "don't ignore me" along with Alexei - he tightly closed his eyes and went to the top of his vocal range in order to correctly hit the notes. He was told by his vocal coach to go over the notes as though he was on a mountain, slightly increasing the dynamics/volume of the note as he gained more confidence with those three words. With the help of Alexei, he managed to clear that note before moving onto the next line - with a closer camera shot focusing on one of his eyes as he asked for one more chance. As the mention of hands was brought up, similarly to a shot before, we focused on his hand as he moved it up to his face and outwards - his facial expression one of serious doubt. There was a sense of sadness in his eyes as he finished the chorus - transmitting the sense of guilt he feels for wrecking the relationship between him and the person he still loves.

A sketch of the box: Here is what the box looks like without Josh Morris standing in it - the box is about 3 metres tall...

With the first sections of the song being rather simple but intricate with the staging - for this section of the song - the lights started flashing erratically, fitting along with the camera shots which would change along with every drum beat - especially during the first few lines of the chorus which otherwise was quite quiet. Each of these shots would be moving - even if it was ever so slightly, but just to make the performance seem dynamic and still visually interesting. The red light that was once there was gone now, with the flashing lights from each of the lamps on the stage along with the pulsating beat of the song. As we moved closer to the end of the chorus, and the instrumental - Josh Morris interacted with the camera a little bit more. Lights similar to this was being seen for a matter of seconds during the instrumental section at the end of the chorus which is the reason that there was an epileptic warning at the start of this performance! As it can look rather jarring if it happened for a long period of time, this section was only very short and would happen once - with the high contrast between the black or white not being the most comfortable thing to watch. Luckily, due to the changing camera cuts and the focus of Josh Morris who always took up most of the screen, the audience watching at home didn't have to endure the full effect of it making it more comfortable for those sitting at home.

Mine, you were mine,
The fault's mine, threw away all we had.
Lie - my way through life, karma bites
Now I gotta live with...live with what I've done

The motorised-sounding voice added to the theme as well and the friction - made the song seem slightly off which is what Josh wanted. As he sang the final line - he sang it out towards the audience, before looking out into nothingness with confidence. With the use of a gobo with prison cell bars cut out in front of the light, creating a picture such as this one, it looked as though Josh was behind bars - which obviously relates to what he is singing about. There were flashing deep Britonish blue and red lights around him which signified the colours you'd universally find on police cars - which is the type of vibe that Josh wanted to go for. Josh was happy with how the performance was going so far, and while he wanted to smile and be all happy during the performance, he knew that he had to remain focused and stay in character. You could see that as he thought this, his facial expressions changed slightly to become more poised and rearing for the next part of the performance - there was a sense of determination in his eyes - there was one thing on his mind and it was showing the world the talent that comes out of his nation...he wanted to make his country proud. As he sung through the lyrics of the second verse - or stanza if you wish - he slightly lowered his head before rocking from side to side in an abstract way (especially when Alexei came in what was a call and response thing going on between the pair of them). There were frantic camera cuts, similar to before, from all angles - including an overhead shot or two. During the final call and response, there was a quick zoom from a point further away, slightly breaking the illusion but not too much as the rest of the arena was quite dark anyway.

Drank myself into oblivion, caused a scene
(Put...your hands behind your back,
Lower your head, get into the back, and shut up)
Didn't know what I had done (How do you plead on the account of..)
Couldn't remember last night (You're sentenced to...)

As he sang the lyric, "Yeah, you warned me", the gobo looked like tumbling bricks which Josh Morris reacted to by also falling to his knees as well at the same speed as the bricks which fell around him. He then sang the high note once again with "I couldn't stop", as the lights flickered with him. A shot caught Josh while he was on the floor but the man slowly picked himself back up like he did after being ridiculed for going to prison. During 1:37 where there was a static sound, there was a similar flash of light as well which looked like electrocution, with Josh Morris holding himself high up, before dropping once again, but this time keeping on his feet. There was a shot as Josh stepped heavily on the ground before it trailed the front of his body to his eyes as he sang how the pain was strong. The lights slightly died down once again as he moved towards the end of the pre-chorus.

Yeah, you warned me, I couldn't stop
Was stuck in a rut 'cuz the pain was strong
But after time in solitude, I visualised the light ahead

Mine, you were mine,
The fault's mine, threw away all we had.
Lie - my way through life, karma bites
Now I gotta live with...live with what I've done
All the pain that I've caused.
Didn't want to hurt you, I hate seeing you cry,
Your wounds, they'll heal with time and I'll face what I've done.

A wide shot of the whole stage for a split second as we moved into the chorus before we went back to the box with it being more of a technicolour display, lights interchanging (but with different colours such as black and white, with a hint of deep blue). Josh Morris continued to sing with his heart throughout this longer chorus which would lead into the bridge section of the song. Josh felt as though he was nearly at the end. As he explains that he didn't want to hurt, you could see the sorry in his facial expressions as he touches his own face, closing his eyes gently at his own touch trying to imagine that it was his partner's touch. It was the obligatory steadicam time of the performance as we moved onto the bridge section. The camera came to him while the lights were playing up and flickering, circling rather quickly around him and at points exposing the audience behind him who were plunged in darkness but all had their torches out. There was then a shot looking up at him as he extended his arm with - the one without the microphone with a huge shadow appearing in front of him thanks to the overhead lights.

You were my forever,
I know that I betrayed your trust,
Could you forgive me for what I'd done?
I know that our love for one another is still there,
I can see it, I can still see it in your eyes...

At the end of the climax of the song, each of the sides of the box falls over (similar to this, but in this example, it was curtains that were used instead of it being actual sides). As the sides of the box collapse, there was a huge applause in the arena for Josh Morris and his countries. Thousands of people around had their mobile phone torches out with Josh almost surrounded by a sea of lights - which was a great shot from further away in the arena. As we moved into the final chorus and everything slowed down for a hot minute, we were then greeted to a circle of fresnel lights and strobes all around him 360 with one of the cameras focusing on the lights before swiveling around to Josh Morris who was waiting for the camera to face him again. He had a very serious facial expression on him which slowly tuned into one of hope as we moved into the final chorus of the song. Suddenly, confetti popped out from every orifice on the stage. It startled Josh but he had a joke about it before continuing on with the song...

Mine, you were mine,
The fault's mine threw away all we had.
Lie - my way through life, karma bites.
Now I gotta live with...

Didn't want to hurt you, I hate seeing you cry,
Your wounds, they'll heal with time and I'll face what I've done. (the fault, it is all mine)
You might not trust me but I'll admit when I am wrong. (the fault, it is all mine)
I hope we'll reconcile and restore what we had.

(The fault, it is all mine)

At the end of the song, Josh Morris was joined on the stage by all of those who had participated in the event and his team, "Thank you so much everyone! I love you!" The screens then went black - that's 59 editions of the World Hit Festival done...what does the future hold?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates