NATION

PASSWORD

Nicastian Bicentennial Celebration (IC)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:58 pm

Catassa wrote:
Nicastia wrote:The footman had bitten back a scowl at the moody baroness and unhelpful President. He forced himself to simply bow and retreat, reporting back to Minister Mashen, who found the entire scenario rather strange. Mashen spotted the pair returning to the brightly light interior of the palace, and raised an eyebrow at them.

Meanwhile King Henry smiled down at the smaller Duke of Serrone and his family pulled in tow behind him. “Your Grace, you are too kind. I welcome you to my home and country. I hope you enjoy yourselves. Our palace chefs have prepared the best dishes in the nation. You all should try the spinach and ricotta momos that have been prepared."

"Momos?" the Duke of Serrone played with the unfamiliar word, tossing it back and forth on his tongue. "Those aren't familiar to me I'm afraid, though I do love ricotta. We Catassans are great lovers of food." The Duke patted his stomach and gestured to his leaner wife and children with a playful scoff. "Make no mistake, I am more than happy to open my palate to all dishes. I'm excited to try what your nation has to offer to the international culinary world."

Henry nodded his head polite, laughing at the Duke’s good humor over the topic of his love food. “Ah, momos are a type of dumpling from the Sonaland provinces. My wife brought over some of her staff when we ascended the throne, introducing us to more Sonatese cuisine, and I assure you we are all much better off for it.”

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:07 pm

Panemore wrote:
Nicastia wrote:The footman had bitten back a scowl at the moody baroness and unhelpful President. He forced himself to simply bow and retreat, reporting back to Minister Mashen, who found the entire scenario rather strange. Mashen spotted the pair returning to the brightly light interior of the palace, and raised an eyebrow at them.

Meanwhile King Henry smiled down at the smaller Duke of Serrone and his family pulled in tow behind him. “Your Grace, you are too kind. I welcome you to my home and country. I hope you enjoy yourselves. Our palace chefs have prepared the best dishes in the nation. You all should try the spinach and ricotta momos that have been prepared.

Diana noticed a noble giving her a concerned look as she walked back in the palace. "Those ridiculous britches breathers can't mind their own business, can they?"

A noblewoman, Lady Cynthia Selfridges, the wife of a baronet was sweeping past Diana when she heard her degrading remark. Lady Selfridges, average woman in her early forties , with alabaster skin and short brown hair pulled into a tight bun, a small diadem of gold and pearls on her head, stopped next to the baroness.

“You shouldn’t sulk darling,” Lady Selfridges said with polite but shade-throwing smile, “Melancholy, ugh, it makes you look common.”

Panemore
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 24, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Panemore » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:11 pm

Nicastia wrote:
Panemore wrote:Diana noticed a noble giving her a concerned look as she walked back in the palace. "Those ridiculous britches breathers can't mind their own business, can they?"

A noblewoman, Lady Cynthia Selfridges, the wife of a baronet was sweeping past Diana when she heard her degrading remark. Lady Selfridges, average woman in her early forties , with alabaster skin and short brown hair pulled into a tight bun, a small diadem of gold and pearls on her head, stopped next to the baroness.

“You shouldn’t sulk darling,” Lady Selfridges said with polite but shade-throwing smile, “Melancholy, ugh, it makes you look common.”

"Well if being noble means looking like you, you can count me out." Said Diana dryly.
Last edited by Panemore on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:23 pm

Panemore wrote:
Nicastia wrote:

"Well if being noble means looking like you, you can count me out." Said Diana dryly.

Lady Selfridges let out a bubbly laugh, waving aside Diana’s dry criticism. “Oh please, no one would actually choose to be common. And the only people who entertain such fantasies are those have grown born of the their own lives and romantic hero’s from dime novels. And I think we both know which you are.”
Last edited by Nicastia on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panemore
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Panemore » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:30 pm

Nicastia wrote:
Panemore wrote:

Lady Selfridges let out a bubbly laugh, waving aside Diana’s dry criticism. “Oh please, no one would actually choose to be common. And the only people who entertain such fantasies are those have grown born of the their own lives and romantic hero’s from dime novels. And I think we both know which you are.”

"You know what else I know?" Diana said, very irritated, "That you're a bland haggard who pretends being rich is a personality trait."

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 pm

Panemore wrote:
Nicastia wrote:

"You know what else I know?" Diana said, very irritated, "That you're a bland haggard who pretends being rich is a personality trait."

Lady Selfridges’ smiled wavered. Unbeknownst to the baroness, the Selfridges, whilst an old aristocratic family had been badly hit by the recession, meaning that a significant portion of their wealth currently sat on Lady Selfridges’ head.

“It’s not about wealth, any filthy pig can get make money.” Lady Selfridges said sharply, lowering her voice as she took a step closer to Diana. “It’s about the lives we lead. How we carry ourselves. How we were raised. How we talk. Oh sure we may all be flesh and bone, but let’s face it, we are different. Commoners,” Lady Selfridges waved a hand to the palace around them. “They don’t belong here. Unless they’re the servants of course.”

Panemore
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Panemore » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:45 pm

Nicastia wrote:
Panemore wrote:"You know what else I know?" Diana said, very irritated, "That you're a bland haggard who pretends being rich is a personality trait."

Lady Selfridges’ smiled wavered. Unbeknownst to the baroness, the Selfridges, whilst an old aristocratic family had been badly hit by the recession, meaning that a significant portion of their wealth currently sat on Lady Selfridges’ head.

“It’s not about wealth, any filthy pig can get make money.” Lady Selfridges said sharply, lowering her voice as she took a step closer to Diana. “It’s about the lives we lead. How we carry ourselves. How we were raised. How we talk. Oh sure we may all be flesh and bone, but let’s face it, we are different. Commoners,” Lady Selfridges waved a hand to the palace around them. “They don’t belong here. Unless they’re the servants of course.”

"I suppose that is partially true..."

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:55 pm

Panemore wrote:
Nicastia wrote:

"I suppose that is partially true..."

“Oh sure,” Lady Selfridges waved one hand off to nothingness whilst plucking a drink from a footman’s tray with the other. “A few of them get in here. But they don’t belong. The Nouveau riche,” she all but spat the term. “Those are the real fools, stinking of dirty money and dressed in the pits of fashion. All they care about is their bank accounts. Not like us. We at least bring something to society. Tradition. Order. Prestige.”

Panemore
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Panemore » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:01 pm

Nicastia wrote:
Panemore wrote:"I suppose that is partially true..."

“Oh sure,” Lady Selfridges waved one hand off to nothingness whilst plucking a drink from a footman’s tray with the other. “A few of them get in here. But they don’t belong. The Nouveau riche,” she all but spat the term. “Those are the real fools, stinking of dirty money and dressed in the pits of fashion. All they care about is their bank accounts. Not like us. We at least bring something to society. Tradition. Order. Prestige.”

Diana found she agreed with the noblewoman. "The only reason I'm not completely a commoner is because my husband left all his money to me when he died. So I guess you could count me as one of the Noveau Riche."

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:10 pm

Panemore wrote:
Nicastia wrote:

Diana found she agreed with the noblewoman. "The only reason I'm not completely a commoner is because my husband left all his money to me when he died. So I guess you could count me as one of the Noveau Riche."

Lady Selfridges paused, touching her throat. She’d once own a marvelous pearl necklace that matched her diadem, but she’d been forced to sell it during the recession. Even though it was long gone, she still reached for its phantom string of pearls.

“I’m so sorry to hear of your late husband. It’s nice though that he was good to you even in his death.”

Panemore
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Panemore » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:13 pm

Nicastia wrote:
Panemore wrote:Diana found she agreed with the noblewoman. "The only reason I'm not completely a commoner is because my husband left all his money to me when he died. So I guess you could count me as one of the Noveau Riche."

Lady Selfridges paused, touching her throat. She’d once own a marvelous pearl necklace that matched her diadem, but she’d been forced to sell it during the recession. Even though it was long gone, she still reached for its phantom string of pearls.

“I’m so sorry to hear of your late husband. It’s nice though that he was good to you even in his death.”

"Thank you. Is there a Mr. Selfridges?"
Last edited by Panemore on Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:24 pm

Panemore wrote:
Nicastia wrote:

"Thank you. Is there a Mr. Selfridge?"

Lady Selfridges smiled, pride flickering in her eyes. “There is a Lord Selfridges, as in Sir Percival Selfridges, 5th Baronet. The Selfridges Baronetcy is one of the oldest in our country. We were lucky to be blessed with two boys and a girl. Did you and your husband have any children before he passed?”

Catassa
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 03, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Catassa » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:32 pm

Nicastia wrote:
Catassa wrote:
"Momos?" the Duke of Serrone played with the unfamiliar word, tossing it back and forth on his tongue. "Those aren't familiar to me I'm afraid, though I do love ricotta. We Catassans are great lovers of food." The Duke patted his stomach and gestured to his leaner wife and children with a playful scoff. "Make no mistake, I am more than happy to open my palate to all dishes. I'm excited to try what your nation has to offer to the international culinary world."

Henry nodded his head polite, laughing at the Duke’s good humor over the topic of his love food. “Ah, momos are a type of dumpling from the Sonaland provinces. My wife brought over some of her staff when we ascended the throne, introducing us to more Sonatese cuisine, and I assure you we are all much better off for it.”

“Ah,” the Duke of Serrone nodded his head in approval. “Ah, dumplings, I see, well then, I simply must try them.”

“Speaking of your lovely wife,” the Duchess of Serrone spoke up, her voice much softer and mouser than one might have expected for a woman of her taller than average stature, “where is the Queen?” She made a show of scanning the palace ballroom. “I don’t believe I’ve seen her, I’ve so wanted to meet her.”

Panemore
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Panemore » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:34 pm

Nicastia wrote:
Panemore wrote:"Thank you. Is there a Mr. Selfridge?"

Lady Selfridges smiled, pride flickering in her eyes. “There is a Lord Selfridges, as in Sir Percival Selfridges, 5th Baronet. The Selfridges Baronetcy is one of the oldest in our country. We were lucky to be blessed with two boys and a girl. Did you and your husband have any children before he passed?”

"I have an illigitemate child with a lord. I visit her every couple of months, her name is Marion. The Lord and I divorced, then when I married James we had the baby on our honeymoon."
Last edited by Panemore on Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:42 pm

Catassa wrote:
Nicastia wrote:

“Ah,” the Duke of Serrone nodded his head in approval. “Ah, dumplings, I see, well then, I simply must try them.”

“Speaking of your lovely wife,” the Duchess of Serrone spoke up, her voice much softer and mouser than one might have expected for a woman of her taller than average stature, “where is the Queen?” She made a show of scanning the palace ballroom. “I don’t believe I’ve seen her, I’ve so wanted to meet her.”

“I’m sure my beloved Félicite shall grace us with her presence later tonight. She runs the household, and there are times, especially like these when that can be far more difficult to care for than a nation with all the balls one has to juggle.” King Henry waved over a footman with a tray of momos, a little emerald pillar in the center of them, marking that tray as carrying vegetarian dishes.

“In the meantime, please, please, try some of our dishes, Your Graces.”

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:49 pm

Panemore wrote:
Nicastia wrote:

"I have an illigitemate child with a lord. I visit her every couple of months, her name is Marion. The Lord and I divorced , thenwhen I married James and had the baby on our honeymoon."

Lady Selfridges’ lips formed a small tight O-shape at the revelation of the dowager baroness having a child from a marriage that had ended in divorce. Not that divorce was uncommon. A great many Nicastian marriages ended in divorce, from commoners to aristocracy alike. Instead she was more shocked at the timeline of events. To go from one marriage to the next so quickly, and whilst carrying one’s baby, it was untraditional to say the least.

“Marion is a lovely name. Mine are Percival, Peter and Catherine. Well. You know what they, third times the charm.”

Panemore
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Panemore » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:56 pm

Nicastia wrote:
Panemore wrote:"I have an illigitemate child with a lord. I visit her every couple of months, her name is Marion. The Lord and I divorced , thenwhen I married James and had the baby on our honeymoon."

Lady Selfridges’ lips formed a small tight O-shape at the revelation of the dowager baroness having a child from a marriage that had ended in divorce. Not that divorce was uncommon. A great many Nicastian marriages ended in divorce, from commoners to aristocracy alike. Instead she was more shocked at the timeline of events. To go from one marriage to the next so quickly, and whilst carrying one’s baby, it was untraditional to say the least.

“Marion is a lovely name. Mine are Percival, Peter and Catherine. Well. You know what they, third times the charm.”

Diana laughed. "You know, I take back calling you a haggard. You are a very reasonable woman for a noble."

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:53 am

Panemore wrote:
Nicastia wrote:

Diana laughed. "You know, I take back calling you a haggard. You are a very reasonable woman for a noble."

Lady Selfridges matched Diana’s laugh with a bubbly one of her own. “And I do say, you are a rather reasonable woman for a dime novel protagonist,” she said with a wink.

Panemore
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Panemore » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:57 am

Nicastia wrote:
Panemore wrote:Diana laughed. "You know, I take back calling you a haggard. You are a very reasonable woman for a noble."

Lady Selfridges matched Diana’s laugh with a bubbly one of her own. “And I do say, you are a rather reasonable woman for a dime novel protagonist,” she said with a wink.

"We should get a drink sometime after this event. If you drink, of course. It would be nice to enjoy time with civilized, artistic people such as yourself."

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:25 pm

Panemore wrote:
Nicastia wrote:

"We should get a drink sometime after this event. If you drink, of course. It would be nice to enjoy time with civilized, artistic people such as yourself."

“Oh my dear, we wouldn’t be in Nicastia if we didn’t drink.” Lady Selfridges said. “Though we do also love tea. Left over from the colonial days I suppose. Nevertheless I think that would be nice, though one should never knock trying His Majesty’s supply.” Lady Selfridges gesture for Diana to follow her over to a table stacked high with crystal glasses. She plucked one free and handed it to Diana.

“We tend to prefer a sweeter wine, but trust me, it is heavenly on the tongue.”

Panemore
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Panemore » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:34 pm

Nicastia wrote:
Panemore wrote:"We should get a drink sometime after this event. If you drink, of course. It would be nice to enjoy time with civilized, artistic people such as yourself."

“Oh my dear, we wouldn’t be in Nicastia if we didn’t drink.” Lady Selfridges said. “Though we do also love tea. Left over from the colonial days I suppose. Nevertheless I think that would be nice, though one should never knock trying His Majesty’s supply.” Lady Selfridges gesture for Diana to follow her over to a table stacked high with crystal glasses. She plucked one free and handed it to Diana.

Diana sipped the wine and a look of euphoria came across her face. "This wine is divine!" Diana said before burping rather loudly. "I never could handle liquor."

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:44 pm

Panemore wrote:
Nicastia wrote:

Diana sipped the wine and a look of euphoria came across her face. "This wine is divine!" Diana said before burping rather loudly. "I never could handle liquor."

Lady Selfridges’ polite smile wavered at the baroness’ unrefined release of gas. She resisted the urge to physically recoil. “Well then... perhaps you should go likely on the drinks.”

Catassa
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 03, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Catassa » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:46 pm

Nicastia wrote:
Catassa wrote:

“I’m sure my beloved Félicite shall grace us with her presence later tonight. She runs the household, and there are times, especially like these when that can be far more difficult to care for than a nation with all the balls one has to juggle.” King Henry waved over a footman with a tray of momos, a little emerald pillar in the center of them, marking that tray as carrying vegetarian dishes.

"I see, of course," the Duchess of Serrone said. She found it rather strange that the Queen of Nicastia wouldn't be at her husband's side, but decided not to make a comment on that. Instead she and her own husband each picked up a dumpling and took a bite out of them. The Duke and Duchess of Serrone let out twin sounds of delight, looking to the king. The Duke of Serrone all but inhaled the small momos in his hand.

"I see what you mean Your Majesty, your chefs are excellent enough to rival our own."

Panemore
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Panemore » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:49 pm

Nicastia wrote:
Panemore wrote:Diana sipped the wine and a look of euphoria came across her face. "This wine is divine!" Diana said before burping rather loudly. "I never could handle liquor."

Lady Selfridges’ polite smile wavered at the baroness’ unrefined release of gas. She resisted the urge to physically recoil. “Well then... perhaps you should go likely on the drinks.”

"Very good advice." She replied while practically falling off of the barstool. "I should head to a hotel before I get too intoxicated to drive. Au revoir!" Diana exited the building and called for a taxi.
Last edited by Panemore on Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicastia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicastia » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:51 pm

Catassa wrote:
Nicastia wrote:

"I see, of course," the Duchess of Serrone said. She found it rather strange that the Queen of Nicastia wouldn't be at her husband's side, but decided not to make a comment on that. Instead she and her own husband each picked up a dumpling and took a bite out of them. The Duke and Duchess of Serrone let out twin sounds of delight, looking to the king. The Duke of Serrone all but inhaled the small momos in his hand.

"I see what you mean Your Majesty, your chefs are excellent enough to rival our own."

King Henry smiled, though felt a prick of annoyance at the way the Duke of Serrone had worded his statement. “Careful your Grace, you make spark a challenge between our chefs. And I do believe you’ll mind the culinary expertise of mine to be one of afar more diverse range than your own.”

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates