NATION

PASSWORD

The land out of time (Closed)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

The land out of time (Closed)

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:10 pm

The Atlantian Dominions was consumed by a series of cataclysmic events in the early 1900s, which halted technological and social development. It exists as a 19th century nation in the 21st century, isolated by the vastness of the oceans that surround the continent.

After a sudden mechanical failure, the airliner Redrider Flight 116 has crashed off the coast of the Atlantian Dominions. The crew and many of the passengers onboard were killed upon impact, but at least one survived the crash and found themselves washed ashore in this strange land that time has seemingly forgot.

Caliga Hall
Dominion of Lemoyne
Confederation of Atlantian Dominions

The mansion at the center of the Gray family’s rural Estate had been thrown into a frenzy. A young woman had been found washed up on a beach nearby. None of the Atlantians had any idea that the young woman was named Iris Gulch, or that she was from the distant land of Kuronami. Even Iris herself didn’t seem to know that. She’d been found barely conscious and bleeding from a cut on her leg.

The men who found her, Scott and Hamish Gray, had taken Iris back to Caliga Hall. There she’d been treated by the Gray family’s private physician, Doctor Smythe. He’d cleaned and bandaged up the wound and pronounced that she would be fine. Then he’d left and another new face had entered the room.

Leah Gray was a young woman, eighteen years of age, with long black hair tied at the nape of her neck with a bow. She wore an outfit for horse riding: a tailored dress coat that sported shining brass buttons, loose jodhpurs, knee-high socks and small heels. She took two steps into the room and paused, clearly scrutinizing Iris from a distance and making some kind of evaluation. After a brief moment, she nodded in apparent satisfaction and closed the gap between them.

"Miss, do you want to come with me? I'm Leah, Leah Gray," she said in a soft voice. "I thought maybe you'd want to get out of those clothes of yours, into something fresh. Maybe that will make you feel better?"

With so many strange faces and so many stange sights something about Leah Gray's face just felt comforting. Naturally, she didn't know who she was and never had met before but maybe it was finally some comfort to see someone who just had a right enough look for her to start calming down.

"Miss Gray, thank you, I'd appreciate a change of clothes." Her stomach growled, honestly she hadn't though much about food but it seemed now her body was asking for "Maybe some food too?"

Leah Gray smiled and nodded. "Yes, of course." She held out a hand for Iris to take as they left the parlor. The hallway, like the parlor and indeed the entirety of Caliga Hall, was lit by oil lamps. A few paintings adorned the hallway - most of them were portraits of individuals or what looked at a glance to be families, but there was one larger work that appeared to show some kind of battle.

"Everyone was all hustle and bustle when I came back from my ride," Leah recounted as they walked down the hall towards a staircase. "Hamish told me what happened."

At the top of the staircase were more doorways, most of them closed. Leah led Iris to one that was opened just a crack, revealing a bedroom with a four-poster canopy bed and some other furniture. Laid out on the bed was a day dress and accompanying undergarments.

"It's one of mine," Leah said. "But I think it should fit you. And the next time father goes into Charlestown, we can get you some clothes made for you." Leah let go of Iris's hand and pointed to a door on the other side of the room from the bed. "The bathroom is there, if you want to wash up or anything. And I'll go see about getting you some food while you change."

"If you need anything before I get back," she added. "Just pull that cord." Leah pointed to a gold-colored rope with tassels, emerging from a hole in the wall and running down the wall next to the bed. "That will bring one of the maids."

Leah left to see about food, closing the door behind her.
The Confederation of Atlantian Dominions
My nation can be referred to as "the Atlantian Dominions" or "Atlantia"
Continuity currently undergoing major reconstruction - please stand by

Kuronami
Minister

Founded: Nov 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:42 pm

Iris Gulch a pretty ordinary plain looking girl with short hair from Kuronami boarded Redrider Flight 116 Kuronami to Marche Noir then onto their final destination in East Lebatuck to see her sister and see if the university that her older sister was attending was also right for her. She wasn't traveling alone on the trip, her friend Alyssa McCunnen was also coming along. Both really wanted to go to the same school together. All in all it was supposed to be a fun two week trip for the girls. The seat belt sign lit up as the Cabin Crew roamed the aisles to inform passengers to please fasten their seat belts as well as over the PA the Captain came on Good evening ladies and gentlemen, we are expecting some turbulence up ahead so at this time we're asking all passengers remained seated with belts fastened. Meantime we just ask you to...

The Captain's message continued as the girls belted up. Iris was sitting window side seeing the sky blacken up in a real hurry. "Boy look at that, those clouds are pretty scary looking."

"Yeah, gonna be a real storm huh?" Alyssa said. These girls were from the rural parts of central Kuronami no stranger to pretty intense weather but neither had flown before so it was a bit unnerving especially as the full brunt of this thunderstorm began and made a pretty rough ride.

"Mmm close the shade... I don't need to see it."

Usually planes fly around or above storms and on the occasions they have to fly through them it's usually nothing more than a rattling flight. Usually the greater dangers are on the ground at takeoff or landing but this airline as a real budget airline which was about to cost many lives real soon because now the plane suddenly found itself rapidly descending with the oxygen masks deployed and the cabin dark and lit only by the lightning outside and next thing Iris knew was darkness.

That was her story, but it was a story she couldn't remember. She couldn't remember anything about where she came from and how she got here, she didn't remember the flight but she kept having vague flashes of something bad happening. She couldn't remember how Alyssa gripped her hand during the storm and during the fall to the point she couldn't get her oxygen mask on. She couldn't remember if she had family, family that was waiting for her at home and at their destination. Having washed ashore in some strange land with a million strange faces looking at her poor pitiful soul.

This woman, Leah Gray seemed to be taking sympathy on her wanting to help her get out of her now mostly dry torn and soiled clothing into something fresh. Thankfully some fresh clothes were laid out for her, how fortunate she was to meet someone her age. "Thank you again. I'm really thankful." She said. A bit formal perhaps but it just seemed the right way based on how Miss Gray was speaking. She may have lost her identity but she didn't lose how the ability how to function as a person. Well she was able to put the nagging feelings of that aside for a while and get dressed. The dress did actually fit her fine, and if some more items were going to be made for her, it all would be fine for a temporary item. Well now all she could do was try to take in her surroundings some more. This was a nice bedroom, she might have an easy enough time settling in.

Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Kuronami wrote:"Thank you again. I'm really thankful." She said. A bit formal perhaps but it just seemed the right way based on how Miss Gray was speaking. The dress did actually fit her fine, and if some more items were going to be made for her, it all would be fine for a temporary item. Well now all she could do was try to take in her surroundings some more. This was a nice bedroom, she might have an easy enough time settling in.

Leah Gray's path to the kitchens took her back down the stairs and past the door to the parlor. As she walked by, she heard a voice calling to her from inside the room. It was Tavish Gray, her father and the patriarch of the Gray family. She deviated from her path and crossed the threshold back into the parlor, where Tavish was standing with her older brothers Hamish and Scott.

"How is she?"

"I took her to change into some fresh clothes," Leah told her father. "And she wanted something to eat, so I was going to the kitchen to ask Danny about that."

Tavish nodded. "Good. Maybe she'll remember more with some food in her."

"What if she's lying about not remembering?" Hamish asked. "What if she's an Indenture who jumped off a ship or ran from her Estate? You know the laws about sheltering fugitives like that."

Leah scowled at him. "She's not some runaway." She turned to look at their father, her visage softening. "She's confused and alone. Maybe her ship sank in that bad storm last night. Someone is probably looking for her."

"We're not going to turn her out," Tavish said reassuringly. "Go get her some food."

Leah smiled and left the room. Hamish huffed. "We're taking in strays now?"

"We're being hospitable, and charitable, like the Lord expects of us," Tavish replied. "But tomorrow, ride into Caroline and inquire about any ships reported lost in the storm."

In the kitchens, Leah found the family cook Danny taking stock in the pantry. Danny was a short, stocky man who always seemed to be in a good mood. When the youngest of Tavish Gray's children came in asking for food for their guest, Danny was happy to oblige. Leah walked back up the stairs with a sandwich of turkey and ham between two slices of bread with a hard, flaky crust, and a fresh apple. She knocked lightly on the door to the bedroom where she'd left Iris, then nudged the door open.

"Here you go," Leah said. She placed the food on a bedside table and then looked Iris over. "It fits, good! I was a little worried." After an awkward pause, she gestured to the food and said, "My father says maybe eating something might help you remember what happened to you."
Last edited by Atlantian Dominions on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuronami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:06 pm

Iris stood quietly taking in the spacious bedroom, right now she honestly didn't dare go anywhere else plus she was awaiting Leah's return. And Leah did return soon enough with a plate of food for her.

"Yes, the dress fits me nicely, and the food looks great, thank you, very much." She sat down to eat she was hungry indeed being able to clean the plate. Well unfortunately, it didn't help restore her memories but it did make her feel better and less tense. "Well I'm sad to say I still have no recollection of who I am or where I came from but again thanks for the food. If you want me to work for it, I will. I'm sure I can do that much at least. I don't know if you plan to board me here, I really don't know where I am for that matter."

Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:30 pm

Kuronami wrote:"Yes, the dress fits me nicely, and the food looks great, thank you, very much." She sat down to eat she was hungry indeed being able to clean the plate. Well unfortunately, it didn't help restore her memories but it did make her feel better and less tense. "Well I'm sad to say I still have no recollection of who I am or where I came from but again thanks for the food. If you want me to work for it, I will. I'm sure I can do that much at least. I don't know if you plan to board me here, I really don't know where I am for that matter."

"Work for it?" Leah looked at her like she had just spoken nonsense. "Absolutely not! You're our guest." The confusion on Leah's face was replaced with a smile. "You'll stay as long as you need to, or want to." Leah sat down next to her on the bed and placed a hand on top of hers, a gesture meant to be comforting. "Even if you don't remember anything, I'm sure there's someone out there looking for you. My father will send word to Caroline that we found you. Whoever is looking will certainly make inquiries there and that will lead them here."

"Oh, and 'here' is Caliga Hall," Leah explained. "The Gray family has lived in this home for generations. My father owns just about all the land you can see out the window." Leah pointed to a eight-pane portal of glass in the wall opposite from the door, looking out over the tobacco fields and various plantation buildings that surrounded the residence. "Only the Braithwaites own more land in Lemoyne - that's where we are. It's a part of the Atlantian Dominions." Leah looked at the girl with anticipation. "Does that sound familiar?"
Last edited by Atlantian Dominions on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kuronami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:59 am

There was some comfort to hear the idea that somebody could be out there searching for her, even if she didn't know who or what was looking for her. It was also kind she wouldn't be expected to work though she still was willing to do it but okay, no sense in being rude one way or the other. "Thank you for being so kind. I can only imagine how odd it is to have found me a complete stranger who can't remember anything....Nothing rings a bell I'm afraid. It's odd..." She stood and looked out the window of the endless horizon of open land. "When I try to think hard, hard enough to recall, I don't have anything clear...Just vague pictures. Flashes of something happening but I don't know what and I can't imagine what. It's just a lot of dark and loud noises." She sighed "Atlantian Dominions." she repeated but still nothing about that name rang familiar, assuming she would know about it. She still repeated a few times just to see if anything can jog it loose but still no success. "Truly, nothing comes to mind. At this point, I'd be glad just to remember my own name."

Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:11 am

Kuronami wrote:There was some comfort to hear the idea that somebody could be out there searching for her, even if she didn't know who or what was looking for her. It was also kind she wouldn't be expected to work though she still was willing to do it but okay, no sense in being rude one way or the other. "Thank you for being so kind. I can only imagine how odd it is to have found me a complete stranger who can't remember anything....Nothing rings a bell I'm afraid. It's odd..." She stood and looked out the window of the endless horizon of open land. "When I try to think hard, hard enough to recall, I don't have anything clear...Just vague pictures. Flashes of something happening but I don't know what and I can't imagine what. It's just a lot of dark and loud noises." She sighed. "Atlantian Dominions." She repeated but still nothing about that name rang familiar, assuming she would know about it. She still repeated a few times just to see if anything can jog it loose but still no success. "Truly, nothing comes to mind. At this point, I'd be glad just to remember my own name."

"I'm sure it will come back, maybe you just need some time." Leah's sadness at the plight of the young woman showed plainly on her face. The idea of losing all memory of who you were, even your own name...it was heartbreaking.

"Dark, loud noises...there was a storm last night, a really hard storm," Leah said, tentatively. "Maybe...maybe you were on a ship, and you got caught in the worst part of it. That happens sometimes. Maybe your ship..." Leah paused. Suggesting that the young woman was shipwrecked also meant there was a possibility that she was the only survivor. "Maybe you got swept overboard. If the ship was going somewhere further away, it could be a few days until it got to port and someone could put out a message about losing a passenger."

Kuronami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:31 pm

She did think about it a little and honestly, it made a lot of sense. "A storm. Yeah I could see that." Maybe it was because for some reason the thought of a storm in general was giving her unsettled feelings. "Maybe I'm a sailor or fisherman who did get washed away or just on a voyage somewhere. In that case I guess you're right it could be a long time before anyone comes looking for me. So I want to make the most of my time here. Mmm whatever that will entail anyway." Well whatever was going to happen over the next while, at least she had someone like Leah with her, honestly she couldn't imagine trying to get through this without her.

Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:58 pm

Kuronami wrote:She did think about it a little and honestly, it made a lot of sense. "A storm. Yeah I could see that." Maybe it was because for some reason the thought of a storm in general was giving her unsettled feelings. "Maybe I'm a sailor or fisherman who did get washed away or just on a voyage somewhere. In that case I guess you're right it could be a long time before anyone comes looking for me. So I want to make the most of my time here. Mmm whatever that will entail anyway." Well whatever was going to happen over the next while, at least she had someone like Leah with her, honestly she couldn't imagine trying to get through this without her.

"Probably not a fisherman," Leah said with a giggle. "You don't look like the rough-and-tumble sort." If someone had asked Leah Gray to put a number on how much experience she had with fishermen, she would have easily said "zero." But she knew that a young lady like this certainly would never be found working on one of the trawlers that she'd seen chugging into the harbor in Caroline after a day hauling fish out of the Magellanic Ocean.

"I bet you were traveling somewhere," Leah suggested. "There's always schooners and the like traveling between here and Grand Harbor, or New Penzance." It was kind of exciting, thinking of what sort of life this young woman led before this tragedy befell her. "My brother is going to go into Caroline - that's the nearest city, it's less than a day's ride from here - he's going to go into Caroline tomorrow and ask if any ships came in and reported a missing passenger. So maybe you'll find out soon."

"In the meantime, you need...well, I mean..." Leah's voice trailed off for a moment, as she clearly tried to figure out how to say what was in her mind. "What should we call you? I mean, until you remember your real name."

Kuronami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:30 pm

"Hehe I guess you're right, my hands don't really look the part either so yeah I must have been a passanger that was lost at sea." She nodded "A name huh? Well what do you think is appropriate? I'm sure whatever you want to call me is fine, it'll be nice to be called by a name and not just 'hey, you' or 'the girl' if you get what I'm saying." She chuckled a little.

Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:23 am

Kuronami wrote:"Hehe I guess you're right, my hands don't really look the part either so yeah I must have been a passanger that was lost at sea." She nodded "A name huh? Well what do you think is appropriate? I'm sure whatever you want to call me is fine, it'll be nice to be called by a name and not just 'hey, you' or 'the girl' if you get what I'm saying." She chuckled a little.

"Hmmm..." Leah rested the elbow of her right arm in the palm of her left hand, and brought her right hand up to her face. She tapped a finger against her cheek several times, thinking. "What about Mary? There's lots of girls named Mary."

Kuronami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:17 am

"Mary huh? Well..." She leaned back on the bed a moment than sat back up "Mary it is! Just call me, Mary!" She smiled. Mary, it was a nice name and well until she could remember otherwise, it was going to be her name for the foreseeable future.

Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:02 pm

Kuronami wrote:"Mary huh? Well..." She leaned back on the bed a moment than sat back up "Mary it is! Just call me, Mary!" She smiled. Mary, it was a nice name and well until she could remember otherwise, it was going to be her name for the foreseeable future.

"Welcome to Caliga Hall, Mary," Leah said with a smile of her own. "Come on, let me give you a tour of the house."

Leah walked to the door and waved for the young woman - for Mary - to follow her out of the bedroom. They were standing in a central passageway, which was wallpapered in a yellow and floral pattern. with windows on one end and a doorway on the other side that opened onto a balcony. Opposite the women were two doors, and there was another on the near wall further down.

"So these are the guest rooms," Leah explained. "We were in mine, and the one next to it is where my brother Scott sleeps. The other two are empty - father will probably set you up in one of them." Leah pointed to the staircase, which continued upwards. "Upstairs is where the servants live - you shouldn't ever need to go up there."

The tour guide led her one-person audience back down the stairs to central passageway that ran through the middle of the the ground floor. "Father's room is there," Leah said, pointing to a door on the other side of the hall. "And you were in the parlor earlier, so you know about that. Then there's the dining room." Leah waved for Mary to follow her into a large, elaborately decorated room. More artwork was hanging on the walls, their heavy frames set against the bright color of the paint behind them. A table occupied the center of the room, currently bare.

"The kitchens are through there," Leah said. She pointed to a door on the far side of the room. "But, it's not like you'll need to go in there either."

The tour ended out on the portico, looking out at the tobacco fields beyond the fence that encircled the house and dependency buildings around it. "Well, that's Caliga Hall," Leah said. "You couldn't pick a more comfortable place to stay if you tried."

Kuronami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:56 pm

She followed along her eyes darting all around this grand and spacious house. She had a lot to absorb so she did her best to also pay attention to what Leah was saying. Guest rooms, servants quarters, kitchens, dining rooms, plenty of places to remember to navigate around here. "This is a lovely place. It's quite comfy too. I guess I am fortunate to have found my way here or I guess for the oceans to have pushed me here."

Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:12 pm

Kuronami wrote:She followed along her eyes darting all around this grand and spacious house. She had a lot to absorb so she did her best to also pay attention to what Leah was saying. Guest rooms, servants quarters, kitchens, dining rooms, plenty of places to remember to navigate around here. "This is a lovely place. It's quite comfy too. I guess I am fortunate to have found my way here or I guess for the oceans to have pushed me here."

"The Lord was looking out for you," Leah affirmed. "Hopefully you won't be here long. Not that you're unwelcome," she hastened to add. "Just, I meant hopefully it won't be long before someone comes looking for you."

The sound of footsteps grew louder behind them. Scott Gray was walking out the door to join them on the portico. "Showing her around the house?"

"Yeah," Leah answered. "And you can call her Mary."

"Well, okay then," Scott answered. "Father wants to see both of you in the parlor."

Tavish Gray was waiting for the two young women. When they walked in, he was taking a short glass off the tray held by a butler. The glass was filled with an amber-brown liquid, and after sipping from the glass Tavish dismissed the servant.

"So, I see Leah found you some fresh clothes," he observed as Leah and Mary approached. "And I assume you showed her around the house?"

"I did," Leah said, nodding. "And we decided that she could go by Mary, until she remembers her name."

"Very well." Tavish rose from his seat, setting the glass of whiskey on a small table. "Then welcome, Mary. I'm Tavish Gray. You've met my daughter Leah and my boys, Scott and Hamish. I'll send Hamish into town tomorrow to make inquiries, see if we can find out where you might have come from. Until someone comes to claim you, you'll be our guest. You can take the guest room across from Leah upstairs."

Kuronami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:05 pm

"Hehe" she got a small chuckle, Leah was right, there was a good chance someone was missing her dearly, depending on her circumstances. But still, if for some reason nobody out there cared or was worried, at least she wouldn't be any worse off, having found someone as kind as Leah. Before responding, they were interrupted by the voice of Scott Gray and being summoned to see the patriarch of the family. This was a bit intimidating but surely there was nothing to be afraid of. He introduced himself and said she was welcome until further details could be found out about her. "Mr. Gray, thank you so much for welcoming me into your home and for your daughter to give me fresh clothes. As scary as it is to not know who or where I am exactly, well it's been made easy because you people are so kind to me. Thank you."

Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:10 pm

Kuronami wrote:"Mr. Gray, thank you so much for welcoming me into your home and for your daughter to give me fresh clothes. As scary as it is to not know who or where I am exactly, well it's been made easy because you people are so kind to me. Thank you."

"You're most welcome," Tavish Gray said. "We pride ourselves on our hospitality, 'round these parts." The Gray family patriarch pulled out a golden pocket watch and flicked it open to check the time. "Well, dinner will be ready in a little while. Cook's making fish, which I hope you'll like. Till then, make yourself at home." Tavish excused himself, saying that he had to do some work on the estate's books before the meal, and departed through the door to his bedroom.

"Well," Leah said once they were alone in the parlor. "What do you want to do?"

She was eager to help her new companion settle in and feel comfortable, but felt somewhat unsure of how to do that. When other women her age usually visited the Estate, leisure was structured around the activities and pastimes they had in common, or around whatever social event was bringing guests to Caliga Hall. Mary didn't even remember her name; how could she know what she liked to do for fun?

"We've got lots of books, if you want something to read," she offered, gesturing to the bookshelves that covered one wall of the parlor. "Or I could tell the stables to get two horses ready, and we could go for a short ride around the Estate? Or if you want to rest before dinner, I can leave you alone." She said this last choice with a smile, a look that Leah hoped conveyed that she would not be offended if Mary wanted some privacy.

Kuronami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:35 pm

Books sounded good but again being alone right now felt kind of strange but horses really perked her up, she wasn't sure why but horses had a familiarness to her. "Wow horses? I'd love to see the horses. And a ride also sounds like a lot of fun too! I would really like it if you showed me, please!"

Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:30 pm

Kuronami wrote:"Wow horses? I'd love to see the horses. And a ride also sounds like a lot of fun too! I would really like it if you showed me, please!"

"I'd love to!" Leah was excited to hear the other young woman sounding so enthusiastic about the idea. Seeing her happy helped to ease Leah's uncertainty about being a good hostess for her guest. She walked over to a small braided cord that dangled on the wall, running out of a small hole near the ceiling. A tug of the cord produced a distant ringing sound, and a few minutes later a butler came walking down the hall towards them.

"You rang, Miss Gray?"

"Can you tell Harper to get my horse ready?" Leah asked him. "And another horse for Mary, as well. We're going to go for a ride around the estate."

"At once, Miss Gray." The butler bowed slightly and departed.

"We'll have to get you into some suitable clothes, while they get the horses ready," Leah told Mary. "Come on. I've got a spare set of riding clothes you can wear."

The two women went back up the stairs to Leah's room. Leah opened a wardrobe and began pulling clothes out and putting them on the bed: a shirt, a dark green dress coat with shining brass buttons like the one she wore, a pair of jodhpurs, and a pair of small-heeled riding boots.

"That should be good," she said. "Better than riding in a dress, that's for sure." Once Mary had changed, she and Leah walked out of the house over to the stable building. A stablehand was there, with two horses - one the color of cream, the other chestnut. Both had been fitted with saddles.

"Here you are, miss," the stablehand said as they approached. "Just gave 'em a good lunch, and brushed 'em down. They'll appreciate the exercise."

"Thanks, Harper." Leah was up first onto her horse, the cream-colored Rosie, lifting herself up into the saddle with the help of a mounting block. Then it was Mary's turn to mount the chestnut horse, whose name was Dawn. Harper stood by to offer aid if she needed it. Once the two ladies were secure in their saddles, Leah set her horse in motion and Dawn followed. The pair rode side-by-side away from the stables, around the house, and out the front gate. Then they turned left and followed the path that wounded around the edge of the tobacco fields.

Kuronami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:03 pm

Mary felt oddly comfortable around horses. Again a missing piece of her previous life now, she was frequently in horses being from Kuronami, a land who's national animal was the horse and horses were just about everywhere one could imagine. She patted the horse named Dawn and actually found it rather easy to mount. "Aww there we go." She again patted the horse to keep it soothed. "You know I seem to have a talent for this."

Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:03 pm

Kuronami wrote:She patted the horse named Dawn and actually found it rather easy to mount. "Aww there we go." She again patted the horse to keep it soothed. "You know I seem to have a talent for this."

"Yeah, you seem know what you're doing," Leah said excitedly. "I've been riding for years, and sometimes it feels like my body knows what to do before I finish thinking about it. So I bet you knew how to ride before your ship...before you ended up here." Leah was pleased at the prospect of unlocking some small piece of the young woman's lost memory, and helping her figure out who she was. "Maybe as we ride, you might remember some more."

The dirt road that Leah and Mary rode on traveled in a relatively straight line after turning out of the manor grounds. On their right were the tobacco fields, rows and rows of green plants that grew to head height. These were tended by Indentured men and women, who wore clothing made from coarse, rough-spun fabric that had clearly seen plenty of wear and tear. Pieces of different colored fabric were sewn on to patch holes. They wore wide-brimmed straw hats to keep the sun off their faces and necks. While they hunched over to pick the tobacco leaves, overseers stood at the periphery of the field monitoring their work. The overseers wore better-quality clothing, and each man carried a pistol holstered at his hip. On their left was uncultivated land, covered in trees. Glimpses of water could be seen in the distance, through gaps in the forest.

Leah narrated as they rode. "This land has been in the family for generations," she explained. "We're not one of the biggest Estates in Lemoyne, but we're one of the oldest." As the two ladies rode past, the overseers tipped their caps to them but said nothing. The Indentured workers kept their eyes on their work.

"Most of the land is tobacco, but there's a bit of cotton as well, and some wheat and corn," she added. "That's about all I know about the farming." She smiled sheepishly. "But the really nice thing is that we're less than a day's ride from Caroline, so we can go into town and see plays, and attend parties, and all sorts of things. Some girls live way out in the country, and they have to travel for days to get anywhere."

Kuronami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:33 pm

It was quite a sight, fields of crops, tobacco for a lot of it but other crops too. Leah explained a lot of what was grown here, what her family specialized in. A plantation, that made sense given the size of the estate and just how well off her family seemed. Well she may have lost her memories but honestly landing with a girl as kind as Leah is probably the best that she could hope for. With laborers working the fields. Frankly she didn't know if she came from a farm herself given she was very comfortable with the horse but well all in time it was likely going to come back to her. "That sounds so fun! To be able to go to town and see more what this place is like. I can't imagine how far some must travel so I guess I really am luck. I suppose I would need something formal then...Aha or maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. after all if we are awaiting news to see if I was washed overboard or if someone is searching for me and might know I'm here." Well if that was the case, it was what it was but for now she wanted to enjoy and make the most of her time with Leah. The first real friendly face she saw and someone who took her in with little a thought, what a good friend she was.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates