NATION

PASSWORD

AS1/TVS|World Hit Festival 54|La Cañada, Achaean Rep.|IC

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Founded: May 26, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

11|Achaean Republic:Beauchamp - "Escóndete de Mí"

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:17 pm

The last time Ezequiel Beuchamp had a hit of crystal meth was on Room 106 of a seedy motel somewhere in the Corola suburbs. He didn’t remember how he got the money to buy the meth or who did be buy it from—it just so happened that he had aluminum foil, a meth pipe, and some matches he stole from a Wal-Mart as a cheap heat source. He had a small lamp in the dimly lit bedroom, close to the TV screen showing some also-ran Mexican telenovela. He slowly placed the faint crystal in the pipe. He ignited the match and turned the pipe above it with his right hand, watching as the solid crystal distorted itself into rods of gray smoke. His eyes were fixated on the smoke and not on his burning fingers nor on the corroding pipe. He held the pipe in between his thumb and two other fingers and put the pipe near his gritted teeth. Despite using it for a few years now (and he swore to his friends he only “partied” like that at least once or twice), his teeth weren’t broken, nor his gums consumed by the drug—barring a few cavities behind his molars. But when he inhaled the fresh contents of the pipe, oh did it felt like meeting a good friend!

Oh, did Ezequiel miss the confidence, the power, the euphoria of a friend like Tina would give! Tina and him needed to roll on the river a bit more and not just on a party or after a crappy hookup on the villa with a stranger from the ambiente It would turn him into a sex demon and fill him with a desire to cavort in orgies for at least four days. It would rid him of his troubles and empower him to blunt his inhibitions and ponder bizarre philosophies that amount to nothing but make him even more high and stupid. He would feel cold when it’s hot (and it’s always hot in Achaea) and hot when it’s cold (which is why he once bought 300 corcinos’ worth of ice bags to put in his bed while high, risking shock and hypothermia). How good is meth making it feel! He was closer to God, the Virgin, the saints, the angels above, the Devil and his demons below! What was the point of sleeping when he could be awake and let the world know of this amazing portal to the netherworlds!?

The last thing he remembers is pulling his foreskin with his thumb while jumping up and down the bed.

When he regained consciousness, he was in a hospital bed somewhere in central Corola with his family and his ex-boyfriend, Milton Casiano, beside him. Looking down a few inches, he had a large feeding tube in his mouth after he got his stomach pumped for the third time and, in his drowsy state, he couldn’t help but notice Milton’s glassy eyes. His father, Calixto Beuchamp was there, taking a break from tending to his artisanal sugar cane plantation back in Orongumilá. His mother, middle school teacher Carmen Cruz, was slowly resting beside him. It meant so much that his family was there—after all, he was an only child and he never thought he would still be worthy of their love. But Milton…oh, Milton, what didn’t he do to him to break his poor, little heart?

Years after this final rock bottom (for there were many peaks and valleys in his addiction), Beauchamp used his self-imposed tragedies to write Speed, his second feature-length album and first one under the AS1 brand. His song, Escóndete de Mí (“Hide Yourself from Me”) had some airplay on the radio until it was handpicked by Tamar de Andrade and the Achaean delegation to succeed The Intermissión’s victorious Quédate in home soil. It was an honor and a pressure to play for his compatriots in an international stage, but it was the first time since his final meth relapse that he would play in a musical competition.

Shortly after the Achaean postcard concluded with much fanfare from the home crowd as expected, the cameras turned back to the stage. One could hear the incessant rhythms of the crowd cheering on for the host nation. They would shout ¡Dale que tu puedes! (“You can do it!”) and Fueguero, carajo!, the somewhat untranslatably vulgar adage for Achaeans worldwide. Flags were being waved, and expectations were placed on Beauchamp’s shoulders to deliver an even more stunning performance like the one The Intermissión did one edition ago in Britonisea. He did meet the band in private moments before the entry, though, and had a chance to get a one-on-one pep talk from the group members. “Don’t forget your audience.” “It’s important to pace yourself, but also to sound convincing.” “Put God forward,” said Marianne in Spanish. This last phrase made Ezequiel cringe. “Put God forward…” “Put God forward…” Wasn’t this eerily similar to the second thing they would say when going to Narcotics Anonymous? We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. He said that, he believed, a few times when he visited a 12-step meeting early in his recovery. Spiritual, but not religious, he would say, even though he grew up Catholic. He even joined a quick prayer session, that was very nice of them. But he tried to focus on the competition. Or so he dismissed.

Beauchamp wore a thick blue-black lumberjack shirt with some washed denim jeans be bought at an outlet store in Corola and some white sneakers with short white socks. He was sitting at a reupholstered counter stool, surrounded by the keyboard player to his left, the cellist, the three backup singers and harmonizers (incidentally, all three are La Cañada locals), a bass player, a drummer and…a plant someone brought from their house. The fragmented background behind them shows an open recording studio, much like the promotional music video for the song. He took deep breaths, each one deeper than the last, trying to steady his nerves and grab the microphone in his right hand (he’s a lefty). Beside him, a combination acoustic-electric guitar that always makes his appearances in concerts and music videos. He doesn’t play it much nowadays, but he liked to keep it close to him as good luck charm of sorts. He would need it even more.

Camera Z showed the full setup of the stage at a distance, swinging side to side to appreciate the fulness of it. To the viewer at home, the performers looked like ants on a near-circle, congregating in song. From the distance, one could see Beauchamp sitting on the stool, nervously tapping his feet to the rhythm of the song, just like he did at rehearsals to steady his nerves and not think of the past. Or Milton. Always Milton. He could never stop thinking about that poor fool Milton. He must’ve been somewhere in the crowd waving his flag, shouting his pride despite his many broken hearts. Or somewhere alone or with his family in Corola, cheering on to him, that poor fool. He was the reason Ezequiel was alive. He was the nature of the song. And that was the inescapable thought that plagued him oh so much. As he sang the first stanza, he tried to keep the angle of his voice looking intently at the camera (namely Camera 5, swerving from left to right and fixated on the singer’s countenance), trying to engage with his eyes and express his regret to the audience—[i]Milton—as if he were truly listening to the beat of his heart.

¿Dónde está el corazón
Que tantas veces yo lo he rasgado?
Yo perdí la razón:
¿Por qué has de volver a mi pasado?
No lo mereces, no
Mira, pues, los rasguños en mi mano

Ezequiel met Milton at a local bar in Corola’s Barrio Tercero. He was drinking a Budweiser after work, and this young, tanned man drinking a small glass of scotch. They stroked up a conversation after Milton noticed Ezequiel had a guitar near his booth and revealed their interests in music. They loved classical prog rock. They enjoyed reading about Continental philosophy and had an interesting discussion on Tolstoy and the Dark Knight of the Soul, as fellow Catholics would explain. Ezequiel would regale Milton with stories of life in the sugar cane fields of Orongumilá, where his father worked as a modern-day capataz in the plantations, while Milton revealed to Ezequiel a little about his relatively obscure life in San José de Capernaúm, a small city in Northern Corola. They immediately hit it off—and in bed, but not for the reasons you’d think. In the throes of passion, Ezequiel hid some sores in his body. He didn’t do it then, but he totally did. How did Milton, smart man that he was, never recognized early on that Ezequiel had those sores was beyond him.

Beauchamp reminded himself of the first meeting as he sang those verses, still sitting on the counter stool. Camera 1 circled above them, the LED floor below them slowly expanding itself into a wooden floor that somewhat contrasted with Beauchamp’s guitar. Beauchamp himself was singing with his eyes closed, a common trademark of his intense concentration. He needed to live the words for a moment, breathe the despair in his tone as he wrote it while on rehab, with a couple of IVs coursing through his body at once. Crooning to the music, the still wind blowing behind him. He wanted him close, but now he has to push him afar—like he always did with the people he loved.

Confundí el amor
Con cristales que queman hasta el alma
No pierdas tú la fe
Y quiersa poner en mí tus palmas
Lo hiciste una vez
Era yo un pobre endemoniado

He wasn’t an addict. Or so he said to himself. He only smoked the crystals once in a while, whenever he was feeling horny and loose and wanted to loosen up for sex. One hit of the pipe was enough to last for a few minutes, but those minutes would last into hours as he smoked more and more. He smoked while having sex without protection, without any care in the world even if his endowments were flopping up and down, without caring for the purity of the drug. He hid the broken molars from Milton’s face. He hid the smell of smoke and euphoria whenever he kissed Milton, whenever he took a swig of whiskey to calm down his nerves before any conquests behind Milton’s back. And for some reason, Beauchamp’s charm was more than enough cover for his many failures, his many setbacks—and nevertheless, Milton kept loving him as if he never learned how to love himself. Even when he caught Milton ass-up and face-down, smoking meth under a lightbulb, three sleazy men taking turns behind him. Milton kept loving him for some reason.

Beauchamp stood up from his chair and held his microphone tightly, snug in his chest. He still left a bit of breathing room to expand his gruff voice. Camera 4 glided from left to right, passionately yet quietly singing with his eyes closed, eyes opened, eyes closed and back open with an impassioned sense of regret. Regret, that was the word. He showed regret to the times lost, the moments wasted, the friendships broken, the bridges burnt. As much as he wanted people around him, he couldn’t feel that he needed to push them away—if only for their own good. They don’t know what they’re dealing with. They don’t know what he’s been through himself. The guitar barely knows, and he hasn’t played it in a while—and it sits alongside him, prominently facing the camera.

Y escóndete de mí
No te puedo hablar
Sé que quieres amarme, yo sé
Que el amor para ti
Lo podrás encontrar
Pero en mis brazos por favor

Camera 3 peered above Beauchamp and the Achaean performers, the LED screen below them showing the cracked and faded wooden floor, laden with unpolish surfaces that the singers “stepped” on, a few wine (or blood?) stains, water stains and white, dusty crystals around the floor that looked quite like peppermint gum or even laundry detergent. It felt as if nobody bothered to clean the floor, or at least mop it up. Kind of like the floor at that hotel Beauchamp lived through his last overdose. ¡To expose his most vulnerable pain—Milton!—to his own demons! Just like the footsteps surrounding him—what were those footsteps in black, surrounding him?

La pureza en tu ser
No quiero que en mí se contamine
Perdí todo el poder
La suciedad en mí no te domine
No lo hagas otra vez
Distánciate de mí, estoy podrido

The first time Ezequiel left rehab, he returned to his Corola apartment and found it empty and devoid of life. There were no signs of Milton’s exquisite cooking, or Milton’s cat Putty that always purred beside him and made Ezequiel smile even though he was allergic to and ended sneezing up a storm, or Milton’s color-by-numbers easels he kept scattered around the living room table. There was no home—it was just an empty shell. Not even a note. Not even a pencil. Nothing. The wind was only blowing on some dirty sheets and a sole broken meth pipe on the bed. He knew what Milton was saying to him. He definitely knew.

He thought back of that tense, self-imposed moment as Camera 7 circled around his perimeter, respecting that sacred two-meter distance. Circling around him, the backup singers beautifully harmonize their melodies. The musicians were focused playing (or at least miming their movements while reading their music sheets on their iPads. The guitar was still, laying on the side of the couch, waiting to be played. The LED behind him kept the static imagery of a recording studio, while the floor below him would keep showing footprints and boot prints and mold and unbuffed surfaces. All he wanted to do is portray the collusion of sadness and self-pity in his actions.

Y escóndete de mí
No te puedo hablar
Que el amor para ti
Lo podrás encontrar

They always say that drug addicts have an unenviable mixture of shamelessness and self-pity. They are shameless enough to expose their bodies and torture their brains with dopamine receptors, yet they imbue themselves with relentless bouts of self-pity whenever fixes don’t go their way. Through his music, Beauchamp clearly understood the dynamics between shamelessness and self-pity whenever he had to fight for his life every time he entered one of those expensive residential treatment programs in Malibu. Whenever he used his queerness as a cover for his momentary bouts of hypersexuality. Whenever Milton, equally disgusted yet entranced by Ezequiel’s mysterious aura, kept going back to him whenever he at least paid lip serve to the area of recovery. This time, the last time, he finally realized the desperation.

That is the moment he grabbed his guitar and started playing it, once the violin was placing one of its very sweet notes. Just like the first days after getting out of rehab, when no one would approach a tormented man who just burned all his bridges into a musical career and didn’t even have the money to go back to school as he promised his parents for the umpteenth time before wasting his loans on copious meth binges. The guitar became his comfort, his emotional sustenance, his attitude. The guitar humbled him; the many-time college dropout was finally confronted on his own nothingness on stage, in front of screaming fans in a voracious Achaean home crowd cheering on for his success. There was only so much he could handle in one time.

Ya viene el ocaso
Me tengo que marchar
Quisiera hablar unr ato
No te confundas más

Camera 1 above him expanded from his head to the stage, while Camera Z took a view of the stage and Beauchamp looking so minuscule around it, feeling engulfed by the love and appreciation—and, perhaps, his redemption. Can this be it? Can this be the validation of the self-imposed horrors he’s been through? Oh, if Milton were there to comfort him! If Milton were there and he wouldn’t shoo him away anymore! But he needed to. His bulging black eyes looked pleadingly at the camera to the people around the Multiverse and the people at home. But mostly, he wanted to sing to Milton who must’ve been far away to keep his distance and stop saving him—now he has to prove he has to save himself.

Y escóndete de mí
No te puedo hablar
Que el amor para ti
Lo podrás encontrar

The music stopped and Beauchamp immediately cupped his hands in his face, a pandemic no-no he allowed himself to have because he just poured his heart and soul into a three-minute performance that would be judged into the eyes of the world. He wanted to cry at that moment, but he couldn’t distinguish if the drop streaming down his left cheek was a teardrop or a runaway bead of sweat caked with makeup. In his eyes, he gazed over the adoring crowd, shouting Fueguero, carajo! behind their cotton-poly masks and cheering on in many languages, but mostly in Spanish. The cameras filmed Beauchamp bowing and greeting his public. “Gracias! Muchas gracias, Acaya!,” he greeted the crowd. “Fueguero, carajo! Thank you!,” he bellowed before leaving the stage.

Where is the [broken] heart
That I have torn up so many times?
I lost my reason
Why are you returning to my past?
You don’t deserve that, no
Look, then, at all the bruises in my hand

I confused love
With crystal that burn my soul
You shouldn’t lose all hope
And put me in your words
You did that once
And I was a poor demon-possessed man

Please hide yourself from me
I can’t talk to you
I know you want to love me, I know
That love for your
You’ll find it anyway
But please not in my hands

The purity in your soul
I don’t want it to be contaminated
I lost all [of] my power
Don’t let my dirtiness dominate you
Don’t do that once again
Stay far away from me, I am rotten

I can’t talk to you
That love for your
You’ll find it anyway

The sunset is coming
I have to go now
I’d like to talk for a while
Please don’t be confused

I can’t talk to you
That love for your
You’ll find it anyway
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

12|Scotatrova: Postcard

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:18 pm

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

12|Scotatrova: Maria Flauírnse - "No Escape"

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:19 pm

The performance begins with the camera panning down from above to the main pentagon LED screen. The screen is displaying the image of looking through a window. Outside the window, its storming. Rain splashing against the pane and the occasional flash indicating lightning. Through the blurred glass, faint outlines of trees can be seen swaying back and forth. The camera then backs away before Maria comes into view. Wearing nothing but black pants and a black trenchcoat with a white shirt underneath, she has her head held slightly down, eyes closed.

Help, I
Just can’t seem to get away
From all this noise
Screaming in my head like a siren
And it wont stop

As the opening vocals begin to indicate the song has started, Maria opens her eyes as she starts the song. The camera keeps its positioning, not moving in the slightest bit. The same can be said about Maria, who doesn't break her gaze from the camera while she continues singing. The screen behind her continues with the same repeating imagery of a storm, which reflect in the way she sings her lyrics. She sings somewhat timidly, as if there's something holding her back, or perhaps, something keeping her trapped. As she sings "And it won't stop", she shakes her head side to side as if reliving an uncomfortable memory.

I give it all I can
It keeps getting louder
Finding myself in an endless fog
In a roomful of thoughts
All of them are fighting
Everything I do, there’s no escape

She continues on with the same motions well into the second verse. As she begins the third line, she stops moving her head, but looks out toward the audience. The look on her face resembles a deer in headlights. Lost, and confused. While continuing on with the lyrics, it can be seen that she's lost in her thoughts. Her performance displays it around, as Maria starts to walk across the stage, carefully monitoring her surroundings as she does so. As she walks, the camera follows her in a 360°angle as she slowly prances around the stage.

I try to forget all the things that I’ve been through
But to no avail
I try to move past all the bad memories I
Have locked up inside
But there is no escape
No matter what I try there is no escape
These little doubts in my head give me no escape, escape, escape, escape

Maria puts her free hand on her head as she spins in place. With the trenchcoat not fully closed up all the way, it twirls with her as she does so. The LED screen depicting the raging storm suddenly stops with one bright flash. As soon as it flashes, several lights shine down from above, encapsulating her. They spin in a circular motion around her as she continues performing. Maria looks at them and tries to back away, but finds that there is nowhere to go. Confronted with this, she stands in place as she sings, carefully monitoring the situation but clearly confined. There isn't much for her to do aside from perform as best as she can under this new circumstance.

Alone
In this expanding darkness
All that I feel, I can’t explain
But its as if all I love, I can’t reach

The encircling rays of light begin to move in closer and closer. They do so at a slow pace, so Maria is able to see what is happening. As they move in closer, she lifts her arms up to her so that they don't touch the lights, but at a certain point there isn't much for her to do. Finally, faced with being touched by the lights, Maria looks up toward the aerial camera toward the ceiling. She has a look of worry on her face. There is nowhere to go, and her eyes indicate she's screaming for help. Then, she shuts her eyes and the lights dissipate.

But to no avail
Have locked up inside
But there is no escape

Once the lights vanish, she opens her eyes. Water begins to start dripping down from the ceiling. First, in an inconsistent pattern, but eventually into a continous light shower. Maria holds her free hand out, embracing this new freedom, while still holding the mic with the other. Once again she spins in a circle, but this time with more, free, expressive movements. She now has a smile as her face, and looks up towards the ceiling, appreciating the release she now feels.

As I came up for
Air I realized
I was still trapped below,
Screaming for help

But to no avail
Have locked up inside
But there is no escape

As the song comes to end, Maria keeps on dancing to herself on stage in the water. Compared to her earlier performance, she isn't so restrictive in her movements. She twirls her head and arm around with a smile on her face, continuing on with the final lyrics. While she sings the last lyrics, she looks up again at the ceiling and with the final "escape" she lets the microphone down to her side. She looks toward the camera that's directly at the front of the stage and lets out a smile. The lights then fade out for around 5 seconds before coming back on, and the audience erupts in applause. Soaked and with a smile, she waves out to the audience. "Gracias La Cañada!"
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

13|Kalosia: Postcard

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:21 pm

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

13|Arnoud Beumont - "Vivu"

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:22 pm

Although Radiu-Televižio Kalosia initially announced that there would be some sort of national selection contest for the 54th World Hit Festival, they later announced that the entry was to be internally selected and that a national selection would happen "when it happens" due to a few logistical issues behind the scenes that required time to resolve.

Later, RTVK went ahead and announced that singer and stage actor Arnoud Beumont would represent the island nation at the 54th World Hit Festival in La Cañada, Achaean Republic.

Born in Kafalon on June 6th, 1997, the Cafalonesque singer had always exhibited an interest for the performing arts. Throughout high school, he was very active in theatre productions and went on to study at the University of Kasin, where he graduated in 2018 with a double degree in Theatre Arts and Music. That same year, Arnoud came out as gay. This makes him the first Kalosian WHF act to openly identify as LGBT+ at the time of the contest.

Following the completion of his studies, Arnoud found employment in theatre productions in Kasin, although while writing his own music in his spare time along with his colleagues in the musical theatre scene. He started self-publishing his songs in early 2019, although most of his songs did not receive widespread mainstream attention until recently.

Of course, with productions cancelled or postponed in February, Arnoud was one of many artists in his field that was left with plenty of free time, and like many of his peers, this left him with time to pursue personal projects, although many of his colleagues looked for temporary employment in non-artistic fields, and some even did both. Most theatre performers in Kasin, including Arnoud, were lucky enough to be temporarily subsidised by the Kasin Council of Fine Arts. In this period, Arnoud was able to focus on his musical projects, and he and some colleagues wrote together this piece called "Vivu".

Vivu loosely translates to 'alive' (which is the artistically-chosen official translation of this title, although literally it is "I live"). The song is quite philosophical, pondering upon what it means to be alive, what it means to have a purpose. The song concludes with Arnoud declaring that he does, in fact, have a purpose. Being openly gay, perhaps this could also be interpreted as being a song of accepting one's true self as well. References to the performing arts backgrounds of Arnoud and the other songwriters are made as well throughout the song, and so could make a wonderful piece for a musical theatre production.

Such a production, however, would take much more hard work than a few guys with some free time could do during a pandemic. So they submitted it to RTVK to be considered for the World Hit Festival.

With restrictions gradually being relaxed, Arnoud traveled to La Cañada with a larger than previous delegation, including 4 backing singers who were also theatrical artists in their own right. With their experience in theatre production, they are able to put for us quite the show.

Arnoud was drawn to perform after the Scotatrovian act Maria Flauírnse. She had performed a rather lowkey track, and the contrast between the rather chill entry with Kalosia's dramatic number allowed both songs to stand out in their own right. Fans hoped that the energy that Arnoud would server on stage would make the song stand out and attract the attention of millions of voters from across the multiverse.

As the postcard came to an end, the stage was dark. The camera started off at the top of the stage, where, at the same time Arnoud sang the opening line of the song, text appeared.

Who am I? In life, here I am.

As the text faded, the camera then moved downwards to reveal a 3-walled enclosure similar to this (but without the art — it was plain white). Kneeling at the bottom of it, with a spotlight shining on him, was Arnoud.
Ťiz san ja?
Ula vitë, ki sto ja

As he sung the next part, we could see that he was wearing a white denim jacket on top of a black t-shirt and white pair of pants. If you looked closely you could notice a rainbow wristband on his right arm, a subtle declaration of his identity.
Komuz pošu ja
Seľerë komë la mareá?
Në lašeru la notë
A kontrolarë mi

Slowly, Arnoud got up, the camera moving up following him as he did so. The atmosphere was rather cautious and quite tense, with the relative emptiness of sensory stimulation leaving viewers to focus on the main thing going on stage, i.e. Arnoud.
Komuz pošu ja
Dormirë komë la nevë?
Në mi lašeru a skoľerë
E diventa nintë

Now it switched to camera 4, which circled the stage in this next part. As that happened, while Arnoud held the mic in his left hand, on his right he started snapping to the rhythm, and while that was happening the background lights, in red, were flashing in sync. As we got a wider view of the stage, audiences at home got to see that as of right now, it was just Arnoud on stage, alone in that semi-box.
Ma esëz lo aše, aše ad ešisterë?
Komë li milioni di stele u ťelu
Ja voľu anki a briľarë

He continued to snap to the rhythm until the second line of the next part, at which a camera closed up on him as he stood there, looking into the camera with determination.
Ed au ja, au ja, au un skopu
Perki vivu ja di kestu motu
Lo es “facio ergo sum”

The camera quickly zoomed out and excitedly, Arnoud jumped a little forward (though not too much as to leave his little box). As the chorus kicked in he became quite energetic, grooving to the beat. At the same time, the lights in the background were also flashing to the beat and overall being as energetic as both Arnoud and the song was. He also made some gestures as he sang, for example retracting his right hand, forming it into a fist and bringing it over his heart as he sang the second line. The backing singers also make their first appearance here, at the end of the last line, although they are only heard and not seen. At this point they are hidden out of sight, although they will not merely be static for the whole performance — you'll see.
Vivu ula luž e u l’oskurita
Vivu ula vož di mia identita
Vivu pela gwerë e serenita
Ja vivu (E ki sto ja)

When the chorus kicked in above, the stage was illuminated in a mixture of red and white, although red dominated. Here, it is the case too. Honestly, one could imagine the scene as something akin to Benjamin Ingrosso's May 2018 performance of Dance You Off, just without the lights in the wall directly behind, in this case, Arnoud. There were indeed a few camera angle switches, but all of them kept a close eye on Arnoud, closing up on him or at least showing no more than the waist up.
Kantu komë li eki traversu la notë
Baľu kola lunë ula primaverë
Amu le poéme uv oñë šenë
Ja vivu

As the song transitions into the first post-chorus, the stage becomes slightly dimmer as red lights dominate the stage illumination, although the stage isn't exactly dark. In the next part Arnoud sings that his passion is a treasure, no wonder his eyes light up and he sings passionately with emotion. His years studying theatre and acting sure paid off! He continues to dance to the beat and make gestures that somewhat reflect what he sings, for example wide arms when he sings that the whole world is a stage.
Tudo lë mondu es un, balku,
E pašio mia es un tesoru
E oñë žornu ja dakordu mi kë vivu ja
E kë ki sto ja

It's almost like he's getting carried away by the energy of this song — even his legs are shuffling left and right! In the second line of the next part he extends his hand towards the camera and after he sings that line, talking about how life isn't a mistake when you are there to smile, Arnoud winks flirtatiously.
E kestë vitë n’es un, spaľu,
Kadë tu daj mi un sorisu
E kë ki sto ja

As we return to the calmer verse, the lights stop being as energetic as they were, opting to be static. Likewise, Arnoud briefly froze before making movements that were slower, much more cautious than before.
Komuz pošu ja
Abandonarë soñi moji?
La vitë n’es una prova
Ma lo es lë gran final

And then again he started to snap to the beat, and so did the lights. Slowly, that tension was being rebuilt. Slowly, that climax was returning.
Ma esëz lo aše, aše, aše a soñarë?
Komë li milioni di stele u ťelu
Ja voľu anki a briľarë

Again, Arnoud stopped snapping at the end of the first line of the next part. As he sings the remaining two lines, he looks deeply into the camera with a smirk on his face.
Ed au ja, au ja, au un skopu
Perki vivu ja di kestë motu
Lo es “facio ergo sum”

Quickly and rapidly, the close-up camera whooshes away, switching to a medium shot angle not too far away from Arnoud. The lights are back in its full red-and-white dynamic excitement, and the camera angles too are dynamic and moving. Once again, Arnoud was grooving to the beat very energetically, allowing his entire body — shoulders, arms, feet, etc — to move and experience the energy of the song.
Vivu ula luž e u l’oskurita
Vivu ula vož di mia identita
Vivu pela gwerë e serenita
Ja vivu (E ki sto ja)

But of course Arnoud had to be passionate. After all, isn't this song about his passion for life? Trying to prove to us that he's alive, of course he needs to be lively! In fact, in this next part, he sings that he laughs at the face of tragedy, that he cries to feel human, and that he wants to show the whole world who he is. And this performance is him, showing the whole world who he is.
Ridu di tude moje tražedié
Planǧu per sentirë mi humano
Mošu tudo lë mondu ťi san ja
Ja vivu

As the song transitions back into the post-chorus, the stage doesn't really become any dimmer. Red lights continue to dominate the stage illumination although there are white lights as well. Arnoud continues to sing passionately with emotion while he dances to the beat and again makes gestures that match the energy and meaning behind this song. He sings that the world is a stage, but honestly? This stage is his world right now.
E pašio mia es un tesoru
E kë ki sto ja

Arnoud is pouring his heart out and giving it all in for this performance of a lifetime. It is for moments like this that he stays alive, as he declares to the world: "Every day I remind myself that I'm alive and I am here."
Kadë tu daj mi un sorisu
E kë ki sto ja

Briefly, the lights fade out and at the same moment the camera fades to black transitioning into a close up of Arnoud. There is a single spotlight on him as he begins the middle eight.
Ki sto ja!
Ula vitë, ťiz san ja?
Ja në lašeru li altri
Kontrolarë soñu miu (Oh, vivu ja)

Slowly, the camera zooms out slightly. Arnoud is more energetic and more emotional than ever, that it wouldn't be surprising if he were to break into tears by the end of this song. Towards the end of this next part, one might notice that the walls appear to be moving, as if slowly falling.
Ki sto ja!
Semprë meľu, semprë novu
Oñë žornu, oñë minuto
Sto kañandu, vivu ja (Oh, vivu ja)

Switching to Camera 4 as it circles the stage, you could see that the walls were indeed slowly falling as can be seen in the depiction above, uncovering the four (female) backing singers wearing white, almost ecclesiastical robes, standing in a semi-circle on the stairs at the back of the stage, harmonising using voice filters that make it sound as if an entire choir was backing Arnoud. Spotlights were shining dramatically on each of them. This right here was the climatic moment of the song, giving millions of viewers across the multiverse goosebumps as Arnoud declares to the world: "Here I am and here is my voice!"
Ki sto ja!
Ki sta vož mia!
Perki vivu di miu koru
Di mia identita (Oh, vivu ja)

And finally Arnoud resolves that he will show the world who he is — just like he's been doing here, on the La Cañada stage. With nothing to hold him back, Arnoud gives the audience his all as the middle eight reaches its end. Right after singing the last line, Arnoud runs and jumps off of the half-box that he had been in for the past 3 minutes, signifying that he was breaking free from the chains that had bound him, from the limitations of the world that stopped him from showing the universe that he is who he is, and that he was here to stay.
Ki sto ja!
Kapiskiz tu, ki sto ja?
E mošeru tudo lë mondu
Kë kestu es ťi san ja

With the full view of the stage uncovered, the ever-vibrant lights were now supported by the LED background, that was showing a red-black gradient that repeatedly swept the screen (similar to the ESC performances of Bulgaria in 2016 and Sweden in 2019). Arnoud was again carried away by the beat, shuffling his feet, moving every limb, throwing in some shoulder movements and hand gestures, and grooving to the rhythm.
E pašio mia es un tesoru
E kë ki sto ja

Overall, Arnoud having a wonderful time. He may be performing in a "cave" but he has tore down the walls that held him back, be it the the doors of his closet, the barriers of Kalosian LGBT+ representation at the World Hit Festival, or even the literal walls that were lowered a few moments ago as part of the performance. As the post-chorus continued, Arnoud took the liberty of taking a few steps around the front of the stage, roaming around the edge, surrounded by audience members reaching out their hands toward him. He does at some point extend his hand, acknowledging them and interacting with these World Hit Festival fans from all over the multiverse. Towards the end of the next part though, he quickly dashes back to the space of the "box" where he was during the first 3 minutes of the performance.
Kadë tu daj mi un sorisu
E kë ki sto ja

Once Arnoud gets there, he turns around quickly and then slowly kneels, bringing him back to the beginning of the performance. The background screen turns off and the stage lights dim too, save for a white spotlight on Arnoud, giving the atmosphere a darkly glowing red aura. Camera Z, located in front of the center of the stage (in respect to its position on the rails), starts off the next part with a wide shot but zooms in towards Arnoud, eventually getting close enough where we can see his face clearly. It's just him alone now delivering the final couple of lines to the song, the same way he did when he began this song.
E pašio mia es un tesoru
E kë ki sto ja

As the song ends, he can be seen giving a confident and satisfied smirk. He killed it! The audience went wild, cheering for him as the venue lights came back on. He got up, took a bow, and then took a few steps forward while saying: "Here I am — this is who I am! Thank you Achaea! I love you! ¡Muchas gracias!"

A few moments later, Arnoud exits the stage as crew come to unload the large panels to clear the stage for the setup of The Fall and The Rise, the next act to perform, representing Teesdexxia.

Who am I?
In life, here I am

How can I
Wake up like the tide?
I will not let the night
Control me

How can I
Sleep like the snow?
I will not let myself melt
And become nothing

But is it enough, enough to exist?
Like the millions of stars in the sky
I want to shine too

And I have, I have, I have a purpose
Because I live by this motto
It’s “I do, therefore I am”

I live in the light and in the dark
I live in the voice of my identity
I live for war and serenity
I'm alive (and here I am)

I sing like echoes through the night
I dance with the moon in the spring
I love the poems in every scene
I'm alive

The whole world is a stage
And my passion is a treasure
And every day I remind myself that I'm alive
And that I am here

And this life is not a mistake
When you give me a smile
And that I am here

How can I
Abandon my dreams?
Life isn’t a rehearsal
But it’s the grand final

But is it enough, enough to dream?
Like the millions of stars in the sky
I want to shine too

And I have, I have, I have a purpose
Because I live by this motto
It’s “I do, therefore I am”

I live in the light and in the dark
I live in the voice of my identity
I live for war and serenity
I'm alive (and here I am)

I laugh at my tragedies
I cry to feel human
I show the whole world who I am
I'm alive

And that I am here

When you give me a smile
And that I am here

Here I am
Who am I in life?
I will not let others
Control my dream (Oh, I'm alive)

Here I am
Always better, always new
Every day, every minute
I am changing, I'm alive (Oh, I'm alive)

Here I am
Here is my voice
Because I live from my heart
From my identity (Oh, I'm alive)

Here I am
Do you understand that I’m here?
And I’ll show the whole world
That this is who I am

And that I am here

When you give me a smile
And that I am here

And that I am here
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

14|Teesdexxia: Postcard

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:24 pm

Last edited by Achaean Republic on Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

14|Teesdexxia: The Fall and The Rise - "Hear Me"

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:26 pm

The Fall and The Rise

"The Fall and The Rise" are a Teesdexxian rock band, chosen to represent Teesdexxia at WHF 54 in the Achaean Republic with their song "Hear Me". The band has members from across the nation, all with a common working class background, whom formed a band after meeting at a local record store's small music convention in Port Clarence.

Lead singer Dorian O'Rourke spoke about the song's meaning in a TV interview, saying that the song is about the decline of a their hometowns, and those in power, no matter their party affiliation, did nothing to try and help, also reflecting on the long term affect this has had on the towns people and societal issues that have arisen in the once proud working class towns.

The camera fades into the beginning of the song with a view of the floor of the stage, a dirty brown and with bits of rubble scattered across it. Once the music really kicks in, the camera quickly changes to a wide shot of the stage, with the spotlights all flashing rapidly. As the guitar motif plays, the camera fades into a shot of singer Dorian, who sings directly into the camera from a slightly to the right angle, red paint on her hands and blue on her fingertips.

Red and blue fade into grey,
Another day forgotten,
Mental violence ends in silence,
How did we become so rotten?

Onto the next verse, the camera pans out from Dorian and then begins to pan around the stage and the band.

We were proud, I avowed with my head in the clouds,
Do you see, do you see all that’s happening?
There’s no change only lies,
Only lies and goodbyes,
Do you see, do you see, we were trying.

In the chorus the spotlights flash again, though not as intensely as in the intro, and the shots change from ones of the different band members performing and of the stage as a whole.

Do you see, do you see?
Hear me, hear me, hear me-e-e.
What do you see? Do you see?
Oh (du-du-dudu-du)

On the second set of verses, the staging is much like the first, Dorian singing directly to the camera, in a way that almost seems as if she were pleading with the viewer, before the camera changes to pan out on the full band.

No way to fan the old blaze,
Glory days are over,
And a rope, a loss of hope,
Left to become rotten.

The decline of our scenes, since the nineteen eighties,
Do you see, do you see it’s still happening?
There’s no change only lies,
Only lies and goodbyes,
Do you see, do you see, we are dying.

In the second chorus, waves of lights spread out from behind the band, as the camera once again change from shots of the different band members performing and of the stage as a whole. At the end of the verse, Dorian takes the microphone off it's stand and falls to her knees as she belts the final note, and the camera once again fades off to the wide shot of the stage.

Do you see, do you see?
What do you see?
Do you see?
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh.

In the quieter part of the ending instrumental, the camera focuses on a grey sky shown on the backing LED, and as the drum start to hit, spotlights flash out with them and the camera switches with each drum beat from shots of the sky, shots of Dorian reaching out to the camera and the wide shot of the arena. Once the guitars come in again, the spotlights flash as intensely as they did at the beginning, (which was like, pretty intense init) and columns of fire pyrotechnics shoot up from the edges of the stage. The camera doing as it does in the chorus for this section and switching between the different shots. As the song calms down in the final outro, the camera slowly pans from member to member, who looks at the camera with a solemn expression, before everything flashes with the final drum beats and then all cuts to black. After the end of the song, the other band members run up and hug Dorian, as she thanks the audience, they all take a bow before the camera changes to the next act.
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

15|North Alezia: Postcard

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:27 pm

Last edited by Achaean Republic on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

15|North Alezia: Lisa Ammah-Andrews - "Searching For Hom

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:29 pm

ARTIST INFORMATION

Lisa Ammah-Andrews is a North Alezian singer and actress. She was born in Cherinsey, Talen, Bristol in 16th of February 1995. She is the only child of a British father (Daniel Guernsey Andrews) and an Alezian-Arab mother (Naqlainah Isrannul Ammah). Lisa's religious life is a little bit unique, since her father is a Protestant Christian and her mother is a Muslim. (Lisa goes with Christianity when she chose) Even though that's the story, Her family stability is pretty strong. With Lisa coming along to help in church activities, and also at some occasions she came to her parents house to help her mother making cookies for Eid.

Lisa finished her compulsory tertiary education with a degree on Classical Music and Musical Theory in the University of Zafizamarrah. Now, she works as a singer and an actress with her debut album "Superdelishlovishdovey" hit North Alezian charts and stays at 6th on her peak. She also works as an actress working on several films and even did her own stunts due to her strength (she might not look like it but she can beat up two strong men at the same time) and her flexible body. Her latest work is the 2020 recreation of the film "Run Run" (A popular film in North Alezia made and premiered on 1963). She represented Bristol back in AleziRadio Song Festival (ARFos) 2015. Her song " Take That One Chance" got last in the National Final. When she tried again recently, she didn't got the win she imagined but she's still happy that she got the ticket to Achaean Republic after earning 2nd.

Lisa is married to Aaron McConnaught just literally six months ago, both are mucisians, and created a band called MEETME and actually tried to represent Bristol in Alezimania Season 2, but Aaron got sick before the final and thus ABA Bristol called Lisa to represent Bristol herself for ALEZIMANIA Season 2 . And fun fact, Mina Al-Diyyah actually works as the MC on her reception.

(One time, Aaron and Lisa sat together on a beautiful dinner date weeks after marriage)
Aaron: Say, Lis. You remembered that MC on our marriage reception?
Lisa: Yeah, she's so smart. She fixed my dress very beautifully, and quick! I wanted to meet her again one day...
Aaron: And you're also submitting a song to BBC-ABA, right?
Lisa: Well, yeah... I'm still waiting for the result... It's out tomorrow...
Aaron: There ya go! The MC's going for ALEZIMANIA.
Lisa: Wow, good for her!
Aaron: Wouldn't it be cool to meet her again this time competing?
Lisa: Yeah, I hope I won...
Aaron: Don't worry, you will.
(Lisa and Aaron from opposite sides of the table kissed amorously on that night.)

(The next day, Lisa opened her ARICO Trite (her phone brand), and progressed to check her e-mails.)

Lisa: Let's see what do we have here... (scrolling around emails....) OH. MY. GOD. AARON!
Aaron : (Still on bed) Wh... Whatisit..... Zzzzz
Lisa: I GOT THE TICKET TO ZAFI!
Aaron: (Suddenly awake and ran to the dining room where Lisa is sitting) WHAT? (hugs Lisa) Congratulations! I know you have it in you...
Lisa: Too bad we can't go together, though.... You're still too sick to sing...
Aaron: Don't worry, my voice might be unable to sing, but my heart will sing with you, okay?
Lisa: Aww... Romantic as ever... Wanna cook pancakes to celebrate?
Aaron: Bring in the syrup. Lets do it. So, what do you want to do now?
Lisa: Hmm... Prepare for Zafi, and we got the COVID-19 taken care of, there's alot to do.
Aaron: Yeah, after this, let's hit the studio upstairs, let's try out our first rehearsal
Lisa: *chomp* good idea.
Aaron: And no ice cream.
Lisa: awwwww.... Well no ice cream for you too.
Aaron: awwww... okay, then.

(The days are filled with Lisa and Aaron inside their recording studio rehearsing... And finally...)

(Lisa and Aaron arrived at Zafi, and finally, the venue (ARICO MiniStudio), (We don't know how they got there, either car, or by plane)
Lisa: We're here! The capital.... Wow... Where's my makeup set.... ah there it is...
Aaron: You're doing great, Lisa. Just keep controlling your voice, especially in the falsetto part...
Lisa: Thank you, Aaron... That's a good advice. And oh!
(Mina Al Diyyah enters the chat. Mina wears her classical hijab walking to Lisa)
Mina: Ahh! You're the bride that I worked on few something ago! Your name is Lisa, right?
Lisa: Ah! Yes, I'm Lisa Ammah-Andrews! Nice to meet you~ By the way, did you know you're the favorite for Worldvision?
Mina: No, you are.... Well, I have to go back to my seat, see you on stage!
Lisa: See you too!

(All participants are sitting on their seats with their regional flags on their tables that can light up! All singers presented their songs, including Lisa. After all presented their songs, the voting sequence came... Results rolled in....)

Lisa: Oh my. I GOT SECOND?! I'm going to WHF!!!
(Mina hugged Lisa which Lisa responded back, both goes up to the stage and received trophies. Both reprised their songs, and Lisa goes back to her hotel room and met Aaron again)

Aaron: Watched the TV, saw you got second. GOOD JOB! AHAHAHHAA
Lisa: Yaaaaaaay! Paaaartaay, no alcohol tho, I am alcohol intolerant.
Aaron: So am I. Let's get Lazuli Chicken.
Lisa: Let's go boi.

(They got to enjoy their feast of chicken and hot cream soup.)

(We won't go "Artist visited the ABA" stuff this time. We'll just jump into the time where it's time to depart. Anyways, "Searching For Home" was remade for World Hit Festival with the help of M. Halbiq Canersham for the music, and Hanna Aisyah for the lyrics. And when the official video was released, it went viral in North Alezia for its beautiful camerawork and technic used inside the video, and Lisa's voice obviously! People commented positively about Lisa, some saying that Lisa might win, or put them in the top 5.)

(We find ourselves looking at Lisa who was packing her last stuff into her suitcase. Aaron sitting on the floor besides her)
Aaron: Too bad I can't come with you...
Lisa: I know, I'm sorry, but you know what? I'll dedicate this, especially if I win-
Aaron: Amen.
Lisa: Amen. To you! Just pray for me while I'm performing.
Aaron: You got me! By the way, you forgot your-
Lisa: Ah! SHUSH. Don't say that out loud... It's my secret thing, and not illegal or handicapping by the way I swear to God...
Aaron: Who are you talking to?
Lisa: I don't know, people around us can be a little bit nosey. Especially... (smirking her eyes sharply to the right) Mama Mama Arisan. (Not an Indonesian phrase anymore, it's now more into all-Alezian phrase)
Aaron: Those mommies who gather everyday and talk about kids and mommy stuff? C'mon it's not that bad, why?
Lisa: Why?
Aaron: One, This is North Alezia so rest assured you can keep your privacy intact not like South where Emak Emak goes "Nge-Room-Pie" (In a half British half Indonesian accent). Two, those mommies are pretty supportive! They're pretty proud of their neighbour representing the entire country singing on foreign land... Three, you know how much we want a child, right? You'll be joining them very soon...
Lisa: True... Well, it's all in! I'll be flying to Zafizamarrah, stayed there for a day, then meet the entire team and finally go to Achaea...
Aaron: Sound busy, well, before you go, give me a kiss...
Lisa: Aww... Aaron... I'll see you in a few weeks or something
Aaron: Take care, okay?
Lisa: I will

(They kissed Amorously for a few seconds, then Lisa stepped out the door waving her hand at her husband who is standing inside waving before Lisa stepped inside her taxi cab. Lisa opened her car seat's window while looking and waving at Aaron who was chanting the North Alezian chant. Lisa arrived at Danielson International Airport and flew to Mukhlis Krasnaya International in Zafi.)

(Lisa arrived at MKN a few hours later, she got a cab and arrived at the hotel she got pre-ordered. Lisa finally decided to stay in the room for the remaining of the day. The next day is the day where she got to fly to La Canada, she got to ride a cab to ABA Zafizamarrah to do a last meeting with her team, including the Head of Delegation, Hayaz Hamaruddin.)

Hayaz: Ah! Lisa, good morning!
Lisa: Good morning, sir. So... I would be singing in Achaean Republic...
Hayaz: Yes...
Lisa: And the stage is beautiful...
Hayaz: Duh, obviously.
Lisa: And I'm gonna have backing singers?
Hayaz: Exactly, four to be exact! Three ladies and one gentleman. You'll meet Nurul Hiza, Yaqtasba Moslavinova, Mihalda Nazarina, and Hadlan Mazaqdarim. We almost wanted to add a cat but...
Lisa: Restrictions?
Hayaz: Exactly. And what's the purpose of bringing a cat on stage? I'm still pretty sad about it, tho.
Lisa: Ah, do you need tissues, sir?
Hayaz: No, thank you. Ah, they're here. Come on! Take your luggage in and we can go!
Lisa: Ah, okay! (small session of prayer).... Let's go!

(Lisa got on to the bus bringing the delegation to Mukhlis Krasnaya International Airport, Zafizamarrah. They got into Airezia AZ-1882, and finally flew to Achaean Republic. Few hours later, they landed at Corola International Airport, stayed in a hotel located near the airport. By the way, the delegation almost got mugged but if you read from the top, you can obviously know that Lisa beat the *bleep* out of those muggers. Faster than the security can do. Daaaayum. By the way, the delegation got to enjoy their first day sleeping in Achaean Republic, without alcohol since Lisa is alcohol intolerant and the other members of the delegation are Muslims. )

(Few days later, they got to finally go inside a bus again and finally arrive at La Canada. Once they got to their accomodation, they enjoyed the life there, and after some rehearsals and online press meetings later, the day that Lisa has been waiting for has finally arrived.)

TUNE: Diana Wang - Home[/align]

(After the postcard got put aside, Lisa stands on a dark stage with audience applausing her, some even shouted the classic "YOU GO SHAMAL!!!". Silence. The viewers got to see their singer from Camera 4. Lisa stands on the center of the big stage, the stage was still pitch black, few seconds of silence then the first piano tunes starts, and the stage was only lighten up by a single overhead LED lamp. Between the darkness, we can see Hadlan holding and raising Nurul up while Nurul spins. Seconds after that, the two stepped aside for the main act. Lisa walks to the front between the two dancers.)

Walking on the path, back and forth
I passed out on the path full of truth
I don’t know how I can stay alive
I don’t know ‘bout life

(The lights starts to get lighter and the view changes to Camera 1. Lisa walks forward while holding on to the microphone.)

Even though they broke my heart,
I’ll stand up and then I’ll make a brand new start
I might not look like in the part
But I won’t go and retreat

(The camera view changes to Camera 2.)

I don’t care if it is hot
I don’t care if it is cold
I don’t care if I’ll rot
I know I have strong emotions,
I’ll put my life to motion,

(The view changes to Camera 11. All lights shines directly at Lisa and other direction, the backing singers starts to spread their hands and starts to sing, The backing dancers started to dance accordingly, where Hadlan and Nurul spins facing against each other and spinning to opposite directions. No pyrotechnics are found for now)

Cause baby,
I am me and I’ll go and try
Even though sometimes I might sit down and cry
All I can do is to try and pray
I’m searching for home…

And even though it’s hard and the terrains rough
I know that I have a huge heart that is tough
I’m searching for home…

(The view changes to Camera 4, and it zoomed its view so the viewers can look at Lisa more thoroughly. Back home in Bristol, people are supporting her and Aaron shouted "YOU GO LISA!" at the screen. Obviously Lisa can't hear him supporting, but Lisa knew that her husband is currently back home supporting her. Lisa keeps singing beautifully. The backing dancers keep spinning on their position and ends up facing the same way together. The front.)

I’m searching fo-o-o-o-o-o-o-or
Ho-o-o-o-o-o-o-ome
(searching) Ho-o-o-o-o-o-o-ome

(The lights are dimmed for now. The view changes to Camera 8. Where a guy started to walk near Lisa and then slowly further away from her. Lisa faced the camera and smiled. Then she faced the front audience again. The backing dancers started to spin back to the center and they positioned themselves behind Lisa.)

Walking on the path, back and forth
I passed out on the path full of truth
I don’t know how I can stay alive
I don’t know ‘bout, 'bout life

(Then, the view changes to Camera 2, where we can see the entire stage with Lisa and her backings.)

Well I
I’m still walking on
To the home where I can stand and sleep on
So I know that the game’s on
I keep moving on, and on

I don’t care if it is hot
I don’t care if it is cold
I don’t care if I’ll rot
I know I have strong emotions,
I’ll put my life to motion,

(Once again, the view changes to Camera 11 and it's all the same. All lights light up without any pyrotechnics. But this time, the dancers started to get near each other and spins until the end and finally holding each others hands.)

Cause baby,
Even though sometimes I might sit and cry
I’m searching for home…

(We got a closed-up zoomed view of Lisa from Camera 4.)

And even though life’s hard and the terrains rough
I’m searching for home…

Ho-o-o-o-o-o-o-ome

Searching for home

(Lisa walked backwards, got down on her knees, and closed her eyes.Smoke starts to come out While the small instrumental plays, Lisa prayed inside her heart that she can move hearts of so many people. And her dancers did the same thing behind her. Seconds before the reff, Lisa stood up and her backing dancers jumped backwards, and the screen got white for a few seconds)

(Lisa ran back to the front part of the stage. Lisa faced her head upwards and raised her right hand while her left hand holds her mic. with Camera Z giving the viewers some dramatic prespective. When she sung the final reff, fire flares shoot downwards.)
Cause baby,
Even though sometimes I might sit down and cry
I’m searching for home…

And even though life’s hard and the terrains rough
I’m searching for home…

Ho-o-o-o-o-o-o-ome

(Lisa sat down on her knees for her final line, while her dancers stands behind her again, faced backwards and holding each others hands.)

Searching for home

(Lisa stands up again and finally shouted what every North Alezian shouted after each international performance... "Gracias! Gracias Acaya! Thank You! Syuukran Kasiiiraaaa!" The audience especially those who come to support Lisa all the way shouted and applauding Lisa like crazy. Lisa returns backstage and sits on the green room seat.)
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

16|Skanden: Postcard

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:31 pm

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

16|Skanden: "Caterina Marza - "Intrattienimi"

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:34 pm

Caterina Marza is a 19-year old singer and model hailing from the Italian-speaking regions of Skanden. Her modelling career started at the age of 16 and throughout the years she has become yet another social media influencer. With the advent of short video sharing platforms in the past few years, she herself joined and became popular there, a "tick-tock star" as you hear some kids say.

She... has only recently become a singer. After uploading a few videos of herself singing in her room while playing a ukulele, the posts got decent reception and she got herself signed with a label. She has done a few covers of songs, but the song we're about to hear is, in fact, her first original song.

The song was initially released as a single, with no connection to any song competition. It was a minor summer hit in the Italian-speaking parts of Skanden. Originally, the song was entirely in Italian, with a few words in English and French during the rap verse.

Building off on the momentum of this song's relative success, her record label was able to lobby Skandens Television into sending her to the World Hit Festival. Since SKT Italiano was the only branch interested in fielding a contestant, she was able to win the ticket to La Cañada without a hitch.

It was decided that, since she was representing the Union of Skanden at a prestigious international event, she ought to do so accordingly. Two of the choruses were changed into Swedish, the federal language of Skanden, as a result. Because the host country of the festival spoke Spanish — a language that is also spoken in Skanden — the lyricists of the original Italian version invited their colleague Santiago di Marià to change parts of the song into Spanish as well, in an attempt to please the local population.

As a result, the song is performed mainly in Italian with lines in Spanish and Swedish, and with a few words in English and French. This makes it Skanden's most multilingual entry since Një Këngë Fituesi at WHF30. Although this was never revealed to the press, Caterina was not very familiar with these languages and dreaded having to relearn the lyrics. The language-switching was a particular annoyance; it took her several tries to nail the transition from Italian to Swedish and back into Italian. Frankly, she's still nervous about it and is worried she won't be able to pull it off during the grand final. Nevertheless, she was publicly very positive about her opportunity to travel to La Cañada for such a big event.

For the big night, Caterina is joined by 4 female backing performers wearing white swimsuits. She herself is wearing a metallic, almost chromatic bathing suit, making her the star of the show. To complete the look, Caterina and the backing performers are all wearing shades, although Caterina's pair is rose-tinted and has heart-shaped frames.

Skanden was drawn to perform 16th, following the entry from North Alezia. As Lisa Ammah-Andrews got of the stage, Caterina Marza walked on. It was her time to shine.

As the postcard came to an end, Caterina took a deep breath. This was it. In the dark, she took her place, sitting on a white poolside lounge chair. There were 5 of them lined up in the middle of the stage, with Caterina taking the middle one and on both sides, 2 backing performers took one each. These backing performers were backing singers, but all the performers on stage had choreographed moves. Because all of them were wearing headsets rather than holding handheld mics, the backing performers came off as backing dancers who sing rather than backing singers who move.

As the song began, the lights came on, bathing the stage in a purple, turquoise, and bright orange illumination. The background LED screens displayed 80s-style patterns as well as palm trees, all in that same colour scheme. There was a very 80s feel to it, though it was rather in line with current trends, as there seems to be an ongoing revival of 80s pop cultural styles.

The camera was rather blurry at first, so you could only see an array of colours, but gradually as the intro progressed the camera unblurred and, just in time for her to start singing, you could eventually see Caterina, looking straight into the camera, holding an opened book in hand. The book was a pretty pastel pink, although that did not matter as much in the grander scheme of things.
È un giorno altro
Sotto lo sole stesso
Ed io sto annoiata
Intrattienimi

Gradually, the camera zoomed out, introducing the audience watching at home to the backing performers, and showing the full staging of the entry. The performers were pretending to read into books of their own, whose covers were also pastel and consistent with the overall aesthetic of this staging.
Vieni a baciarmi
Qui a bordo piscina
E perché tu non vieni
A compiacermi

Of course, the camera did not stop here. Camera 4 slowly rolled down the stage's perimeter, encapsulating the general lazy summer mood that this song was trying to convey. When it eventually changed to other camera angles, they typically were non-static, moving angles. But because these angles moved so slowly, they weren't exactly dynamic, or at least what one images to be dynamic.
Bajo el sol sediento
El dia esta cansado
Y estoy aburrida
Entretenerme

¿Porque no me besas?
Y dame manos esas
Tocando mis caderas
Y complaceme

Caterina promptly closed her book, sat up, and sang into the camera, using a medium shot on her as she got up on her feet.
Sembra molto tempo fa
(Come un anno)
Quando mi hai mostrato
Il tuo corpo grande

She put her book down on her lounge chair. The camera changed angles and you could see that the backing performers had followed suit, getting up, and were mimicking her moves. Caterina slowly walked forward, leaving the chairs behind, and her girls followed suit.
E l’estate è stata
(Oh, tanto così)
Come una casa vuota
Senza fiato e senza vita

They continued walking to the front of the stage, slowly and relaxedly. Caterina had to relax, even if her nerves wanted her to do otherwise. Weirdly enough, she was. With so much going on, it made no sense to try to process the fact that millions of people from across the multiverse had their eyes on her. It was enough for her to simply focus on the song.

Che cosa voglio che abbiamo?
Cosa vuoi tu? Lo possiamo
Fare liscia come le labbra tue
Ancora per un po’

Starting the last line of the last part, she rapidly made some dance moves, bringing us back into the chorus. For this chorus, the choreography was rather fast-paced. It involved her swaying her hips, shaking her glutes, twisting her legs, and turning her upper body in various ways that made for a rather catchy routine.

È un giorno altro
Sotto lo sole stesso
Ed io sto annoiata
Intrattienimi

It was so catchy that, if you were watching at home and had kids or young children at home, they'd probably be tempted to attempt to mimic the dance moves themselves. Of course, the simplicity of catchiness of the dance moves was intentional — how else was it to become viral on social media? The song was actually written with that in mind, and as soon as it was released this was how Caterina promoted her song — by doing this particular set of choreography in different locations — her house, the airport, Corola, even the caves of La Cañada — and sharing these videos to social media, challenging others to do the same wherever they are. And now, she was repeating them on the World Hit Festival stage itself, a bigger platform that a social media star could possibly achieve on their own.

Vieni a baciarmi
Qui a bordo piscina
E perché tu non vieni
A compiacermi

Now for the Swedish part. Caterina had tried not to worry too much about this transition. At this point she was quite used to it. In broken Swedish, with the same kind of accent someone unaccustomed to the language would have, here she goes:

Under den grå himlen
Den skiner inte solen
Och jag är så uttråkad
Underhålla mig

Hey, not bad! And to think she has to pull this off while repeating the same dance moves... safe to say, people who weren't aware of this language change were impressed, particularly those who understood was she was saying. Well, Caterina kept going. She has one more verse in Swedish before an even more intimidating transition. But she got this. As long as she went with the flow and relax, it won't be a big deal.

Ge mig dina armar
I alla dina kramar
Är jag nån som du vill ha?
Så kom rör mig nu

With confidence, Caterina took a step forward as she switched gears again and started rapping mainly in Italian. She turns to her right, walking to the left (audience's left) of the stage, with a camera zooming in on her from that direction. She raps directly into the camera, and with the angle closing up, we don't get to see what's going on onstage, or what the backing performers are doing.

Fammi portare questi bicchieri
Gioca la tua magia just like this
Ho una bottiglia alta di vino
Voglio io bere il tuo dolce, dolce gusto

I have to say, it does look like Caterina is starting to have fun on stage. She kinda looked like she was at the club, grooving to the beat. At this point, she stopped walking and looked ahead at the audience. Her voice reflected poise, yet her bold gestures emitted sass.

Like it, love it, questo è
Un amore più grande
Boy, stop playing, prendimi
Togliti la timidezza

Now she turned back and walked towards the opposite direction, back to the center of the stage. A camera was looking at her in the direction she was facing too, just like earlier. Caterina's energy was definitely building up here, as she continued to nail the rap verse, giving the entry the oomph it needed.

Shut it, stop it, scusami
Sfogati, mon bel ami
Say to me now, I’m your woman
Non avere i rimpianti

As Caterina arrived in the center of the stage, she looked forward. Two of the dancers came to her carrying a white bathrobe, which she put on. The backing dancers then went back. The camera zoomed out, and now we saw a completely different set. Towards the end of the next part she kept singing but turned back and walked to what awaited her.

Tutto va bene quando I have you with me
Dammi un sorriso e balla con me
Can’t you see I’m sad perché il cielo è grigio?
Ma ho bisogno solo di te, ragazzo

So it was a scarlet fainting couch/chaise longue/divan, surrounded closely with fake indoor plants (like this), but spray painted in gold, creating a super luxurious feel. The lights were no longer heavily tinted, illuminating the stage well, while the background showed a chromatic texture similar to the colour(s) of Caterina's swimsuit.

Caterina and her performers did the iconic dance once again.

È un giorno altro
Sotto lo sole stesso
Ed io sto annoiata
Intrattienimi

Vieni a baciarmi
Qui a bordo piscina
E perché non tu vieni
A compiacermi

Caterina went and lay down on the chair, posing as if she was at one of her many photoshoots. The backing dancers surrounded her like servants. At this point there wasn't much movement except for the dynamic camera angles. It reflected well on the general lazy mood of the song, but it was also as if Caterina was saying to her lover: "What are you waiting for? Come on in, entertain me!"

Dia esta cansado
Y estoy abburida

¿Porque no me besas?
Tocando mis caderas
Y complaceme

With Caterina no longer having to focus on anymore movements, she could relax and focus on her vocals.

Ooh… hoo hoo…
Huh huh, huh huh, huh hu~h
Ooh… hoo hoo…

The stage lights started to dim, and a camera zoomed in on Caterina from the front of the stage.

Ed sto annoiata
Sotto lo stesso sole
Y estoy abburida
Entretenerme

By now the LED screen was off too, and in terms of illumination there was this blue tint to the stage. The audience sensed that the song was coming to an end, so they all cheered for her. Caterina, hearing this reaction, grinned as she finished off with the final vocalizations of her song.

Na nana~

Aaaaand cut! The song was over, the audience cheered, and Caterina got up. So did her backing performers — they formed a line. Caterina waved excitedly towards the audience and blew kisses at them. "Grazie mille! Thank you very much! I love you!" Caterina exclaimed. With Lilou from Normandy & Picardy coming up to perform next, she and her girls promptly left the stage as the set was to be changed.

Caterina breathed out a sigh of relief. Not only was her performance over, but — bar the highly unlikely possibility that she won — Caterina will never have to perform this multilingual monstrosity ever again. As an Italian speaker, she was very happy with sticking to just one language.

It’s another day
Under the same sun
And I am bored
Entertain me

Come kiss me
Here at the poolside
And why don’t you come
Please me

Under the thirsty sun
The day is tired
And I am bored
Entertain me

Why don’t you kiss me?
And give me those hands
Touching my hips
And please me

It feels so long ago
(Like a year)
When you showed me
Your great body

And summer has been
(Oh, much like this)
Like an empty house
Breathless and lifeless

What do I want that we have?
What do you want? We could do it
As smooth as your lips
Again, if only for a bit

It’s a new day
Under the same sun
And I am bored
Entertain me

Come kiss me
Here at the poolside
And why don’t you come
Please me

Under the grey sky
The sun doesn’t shine
And I’m so bored
Entertain me

Give me your arms
In your every embrace
Don’t you really want me?
So come please me now

Let me bring these glasses
Play your magic just like this
I have a tall bottle of wine
I want to drink your sweet, sweet taste

Like it, love it, this is
A greater love
Boy, stop playing, take me
Strip down your shyness

Shut it, stop it, pardon me
Let it out, my dear friend
Say it to me now, I’m your woman
Don’t hold any regrets

Everything is right when I have you with me
Give me a smile and dance with me
Can’t you see I’m sad because the sky is grey?
But I only need you, boy

It’s another day
Under the same sun
And I am bored
Entertain me

Come kiss me
Here at the poolside
And why don’t you come
Please me

Day is tired
And I am bored

Why don’t you kiss me?
Touching my hips
And please me

Ooh… hoo hoo…
Ooh… hoo hoo…

And I am bored
Under the same sun
And I am bored
Entertain me

Na nana~
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

17|Normandy & Picardy: Postcard

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:37 pm

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

17|Normandy & Picardy: Postcard

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:38 pm

The album cover for Lilou's most recent album, "Des larmes, ce sont pas suffisantes" (Tears are not enough), from which her WHF entry is taken

As the title of her most recent album, seen above, might suggest, life has not been handed on a plate to Lilou Bassala. The pure expressions of pain, loss, confusion, and the smallest twinkling light of hope, breaking through the pitch-black of life, that comprised her third studio album, and by far her most personal yet - especially given, unlike her previous albums, she is the only credited musician for every single song within the album, and she produced the majority of it herself too, a far cry from the large songwriting teams that had, in a sense, suffocated her as she tired herself out searching for that moment of success, that chance to break out of the quotidienne and become a star, which had always been her dream, just as for many little girls - had, unlike efforts before, finally given her a moment in the spotlight. Nominations at the Cherbourg College Music Awards, the most prestigious in Normandy and Picardy, for Best Newcomer - a title that naturally stung a little, but which she appreciated nonetheless - and Album of the Year, marked a definite highpoint of her career. TV channels started asking for interviews. She had a top 5 single with the song, "Noire/Blanche", a song discussing her awkward position as a black woman in an overwhelmingly white country, and her experiences when writing previous albums in which discussions of her heritage were drowned out by the usual love songs pushed on her. Now, she felt, she finally had a voice, and some people were listening to the daughter of immigrants from the former Normand colony of Marche-Nouvelle, the child who had been made fun of at her rough primary school on the ages of Caen,
the young woman who had been abused and then blamed for bringing it upon herself, and now the proud 33 year-old woman making sure her voice was heard, no matter how many feathers it ruffled in what, sadly, remains in places a hostile environment for someone like her. It was in this environment that Lilou had had to live every day of her life since she had been born, and which she spoke out against in an album whose very title was an assault on even those of a more liberal disposition - for Lilou, it is not enough for people to give their tears and condolences, they must act, they must make themselves heard. And she had firmly done that.

Indeed, had she released her album any other week, she might have even made the number one spot, but this was taken by an album by Normand artist Gerard Arduane, who had just, in many ways, shared the sense of being agonisingly close to the crowning point of a career; he had just missed out on winning the 53rd World Hit Festival held in Bovingdon, Britonisea, losing out on a tiebreak for first place. It was a position that Normandy and Picardy had been in before, and it stung just as much as the first time it had happened, when Normandy and Picardy had just been pipped to the post by Euskirribakondara. Even Simone Derrida, the normally unphased Head of Delegation, who had, when she started her role just a few contests ago, had never imagined that Normandy and Picardy would come so close to winning again, and indeed coming twice for a second time in a row. Whilst it was no secret that the broadcaster had developed plans to host the contest in Amiens, Picardy, if they won the contest, the thought had seemingly never crossed Simone's mind, or such was the impression that she had given to people asked afterwards. In many ways, she carried on as normal anyway, returning as part of the delegation alongside Gerard, and returning to her role as head of cultural programming for SRNP and radio host on SRNP Radio 3. She had a remarkable way at just being able to seemingly just return back into the clockwork of her life, as if the contest had never happened. Yet, this time was, for her, slightly different. To come 2nd once had been a wonderful surprise. To do so again, and to come so close, was genuinely painful. She felt now an enormous burden falling down upon her; she felt she had to deliver a win. Simone had even considered resigning her role as Head of Delegation at this point; there was no way, she thought, that she could possibly deliver again without causing disappointment. It would be a lot easier to fall down than to make that final step up to the top.

She was, however, convinced to stay, partly by her friends who encouraged her as always, partly by institutional pressure within SRNP, and partly simply because she told herself she needed to do this, and sod thinking about coming first (as much as others might expect her to be pushing for this very goal). All she could do was to carry on doing what she had already done, and simply hope to present the best of Normand and Picard talent, as she saw it. And so, she carried on the same way she always had, promoting artists via her radio show, using her contacts within the music industry to reach out to potential acts, whether she explicitly mentioned the contest or not. Indeed, although she seemed to be able to switch off from the contest, in a way it was constantly in her mind, a constant preoccupation niggling away at her. A wonderful opportunity to sample the absolute top of the talent available presented itself to her when she was invited onto the jury that would decide the winner of the year's Cherbourg Music Awards. Many had been surprised she had never been invited onto the jury before, given the fact that no matter who you are in the industry in Normandy and Picardy, you at least know someone who knows her, and indeed Simone had an incredible ability to seemingly be in a million places at once. In any case, from her position on the jury, she hoped that she might find her act, and the song that would next represent Normandy and Picardy.

The competition was especially fierce this year, especially for the Album of the Year category. 5 outstanding albums had made the shortlist from across the industry, with Picard Folk and Normand language rap from the banlieues of Rouen coming alongside, as aformentioned, Lilou and her album. Simone had only just listened through the album once before the final jury meeting occured, the very night before the announcement of the awards themselves, but she had very quickly fallen in love; how had she not heard this before? Long hours awaited the group of 20 assembled in the Grand Hall of the Cherbourg College of Music, where the awards would be announced in only 24 hours time. Drinks had been provided. They would be needed. The hours dragged by as they listened and discussed the minute details, and whittled things down. Best Male and Female Act, and Best Band, had all been decided relatively quickly, and after an hour and a half finally there was agreement on the song of the year too, but it was the Album and Newcomer categories that proved to be the most difficult. Midnight passed, and little progress had been made, and yet, just as she had felt just after that fateful night in Bovingdon, a sense of crushing pressure came down on Simone and the rest of the jury. Eventually, a form of compromise was agreed. The night of the awards show. Lilou was the only black artist nominated in any category, and was one of a very small handful of black artists and members of the Normand cultural industry who had been invited to the awards ceremony; yet this alone was lauded across the night as "A victory for progress and diversity". Lilou herself felt angry about this, but she tried to keep her calm. She had been touted as the favourite to win Best Newcomer, if nothing else. That award came and went, given to Picard electronic musician Michelle Lefebvre. And then came the Album of the Year award. The announcement. Tears. She had won it. She had done it. She ran up to the stage as an angry Manuel Foulquier reportedly stormed out. This of course didn't matter.

A few months later. A radio studio in Rouen. SRNP Radio 3. And Simone Derrida introducing Lilou Bassala as the next act to represent Normandy and Picardy at the World Hit Festival. In just a few weeks time, she would be jetting of to La Cañada in the Achaean Republic, and representing the country where she had been born, where she had grown up, and where now she finally felt, to some extent, welcome. She had chosen a song that had been a title track from her album named "J'ai le droit aussi" (I have the right too). When talking about the choice of track, Lilou told Simone:
This is just a song for anyone who has ever felt excluded, felt as if they don't fit in, and no matter what they do they can never be accepted. It's for everyone who has to hide an aspect of themselves, keep something hidden, even from the people they most dearly love, even the people who brought them into this world and brought them up. This is for everyone who has struggled with what it means to be themselves... Society has a way of throwing people to the side, making us hide who we are behind a mask, and when it does want to see us makes us live as charicatures, hiding ourselves. This is for anyone who has ever felt that way.

It is this message that Lilou will be bringing to the Francisco Calderón Sports Palace in La Cañada. Whilst the song is all in French, previous Normand entries have shown that this is clearly no barrier to understanding across the Multiverse, and the Normand delegation were clearly hoping the same would be true again. Following that interview, everything sped up massively. Finalising staging plans, which Lilou had been at the centre of planning, as usual with Normand entrants; Simone always ensured they had a great amount of artistic freedom.

Before she knew it, Lilou was walking off a plane, the sun beating down heavily on her - it was certainly a lot warmer in the Achaean Republic than back home in Normandy and Picardy for this time of year - and onto the runway at Corola-Gudalupana International. Their flight had come in late, and the Normand delegation, larger than it had been for previous contests due to the lifting of restrictions by the Normand government making it easier, meaning also that Lilou would have a shorter quarantine team on her return (not, of course, that she really was thinking about that at this point), was now worried about making sure the transport they had arranged to get them into La Cañada was still available; they were several hours late, after all. So, with some running about, whilst other members tried to make sure that the special equipment for the performance that had been sent in ahead of them had actually arrived - the haulage company had been unusually quiet in this regard - the panicked mob of a delegation rushed through the airport. Luckily, their planned transport was still available, and so, crammed into a few cars, Lilou, Simone, and the rest of the delegation travelled along the highway towards La Cañada. Whilst the schedule was going to quickly become hectic, Lilou was luckily able to find some time to explore the city; Simone had ensured she would be able to have some sort of a break and enjoy the city, a luxury that had not been enjoyed by Gerard in Bovingdon. There wasn't going to be enough time for the famous caves which La Cañada is known for, and indeed has even designed this contest around, but that didn't really bother Lilou; it wouldn't've been her thing anyway. She instead explored the heritage of the city itself and its creole structures, which in part reminded her of her grandparent's home in Marche-Nouvelle which she had visited a few times as a child. She was also able to sample local delicacies, and take in the general atmosphere, before she was rushed into rehearsals, interviews, and a whole maddening world. The day she spent exploring seemed to have happened a million years ago, and now the night of the final itself was very quickly approaching...

As Caterina Marza, the act from Skanden, left the stage, Lilou still didn't quite know what to expect. She hadn't really been paying attention to the entry, but she was sure it was good, much like all the songs had been so so far. She had wanted to watch, but obviously she was preoccupied with her own last minute preparations. A producer nodded. Walking. Silence. A moment. Then the opening piano notes played. Suddenly, it all became very, very real for Lilou, sat among a sea of smoke in the middle of the stage in a country very far from her little house in Caen. Smoke whisped around her as she sat there, vulnerable, wearing a very simple, blank garment, one which in a way hid her body in the way that, in every moment of her life, she had to hide herself, and yet still presented even in this bleakness a blank canvas, something that could be painted upon, upon which colour could come and a new character emerge. Not that it was frumpy, indeed it was rather form-fitting, but you get the idea. For now, however, all that could be seen, as a very faint white spotlight shone down, was Lilou, sat with her knees bent, as the smoke whisped around her as aformentioned and a series of irregularly shaped shards that had been brought in by the Normand team. At the moment, these remained eerily dark, in a sense only visible due to the slight reflection of the spotlight, the screens acting as a mirror. The opening camera shot, done by camera Z as in the diagram so kindly provided by Ach, began to the left of the stage, such that most of this could be seen, and panned around towards the middle. With the light coming down slightly from the left too, this indeed allowed for this mirror effect to work somewhat, with Lilou ever so faintly reflected in its surface. These 'shards' as they will be referred to from now on had been placed behind her, forming a very shallow curve, and leaving the pentagon screen as the back of the stage shown. And so, the opening instrumental consisted of a very slow panning shot as described, the flickering of the spotlight, becoming slightly stronger, and then the flickering to life of the LED strips around the pentagon too, as if they were neon lights flickering on.

Just before Lilou began to sing, there was a fade into a closer camera shot using camera 4, looking straight towards Lilou, who in turn looked up towards it, and the pentagon framing her. Tightly holding onto her microphone with one hand, as if holding on for dear life, so as to not show the shaking that would betrary both a deep emotional sentiment and a realisation of her position, she began to sing, channeling this sense of vulnerability into her words. The image in a way appeared rather bleak, the black and white powerfully contrasting, the almost deafening like of anything else, and the piano alone pounding away, hauntingly. But, of course, Lilou and the Normand delegation were hoping that the beauty in this desolation might be found, as the smoke curled and whisped, playing with the flickering rays of light and dancing around Lilou as she sang.

Quelques jours, j'imagine
Qu'j'ai le droit d'être heureuse
Mais puis j'me souviens
Que je suis moi-même, calleuse
La reflection étonnante
Combien de temps elle restera?
Parmis ces mensanges
Je vis ma propre vie

As the song swelled into the prechorus, yet still ultimately powered by the simple combination of vocals and piano, at once delicate and strong, there was a temporary switch to a higher up shot done by camera one, slightly zoomed in, looking down at an angle towards the stage, showing Lilou and the shards from above, drifting amidst an ocean of smoke, trundling down the sides of the stage and, again, at once suffocating and vivacious. The shards ultimately remained, for the moment, as mirrors, as the white light gained slightly in strength. A switch to a closer shot, slightly lower down and done by camera 2, with lens zooming effects used to actually look as if all that has happened was the camera getting closer (and indeed, camera 2 did lower a little bit too). At this point, beneath the smoke, rings of white started to radiate out across the LED floor, not really changing much but providing a highlight underneath Lilou, helping push back the darkness a bit.

Je suis completement fou?
Mais tes mots, qu'est-ce que veux-tu dire?, aaah
Ce sont vides, ce donnent cries
J'ai la tete qui tourne et chancele, aaah
Mais je peux pas refoule moi-même

Going into the chorus, there was a fade into a shot on stage level done by one of the cameremen with a steadicam, looking from the right towards the left of the stage with quite a tight shot, to show Lilou and one of the shards framing her. Lilou turned to face this camera a little bit and moved herself up a little bit as she sung, whilst the shard began to slowly flicker into life, as an image almost appeared to be 'sketched' into existence, with the outlines first, broad pencil strokes, and the more intimate details slowly building up and helping the image come together. Lilou continued to sing, the camera shot slightly zooming in and looking beyond her at the screen, as what emerged was a zoomed in image of one of Lilou's eyes and the lashes, eyebrow, and the surrounding skin.

Et alors, je vole
Mais mes chaînes lourdes ne jamais lâchent
Et je m'enfuis
Seulement pour un instant avant qu'ils m'empechent
Je suis libre
Mais je vis toujours en servitude
Je suis moi-même
Pas d'habitude

Some of the lights died down as the next verse began, and the rings on the LED floor dissolved away, allowing the darkness to creep forward once again. Yet only slightly, for now, with a wider shot, it could be seen that all of the shards had too come to life with their own drawings of various parts of Lilou's face, shards and aspects of herself, broken up, spread around her, reflecting her broken identities, having to mean many things to different people and never quite managing to build up who you really are yourself. Then there was a shift to a shot from further out, panning slowly around the stage, showing the lips which began to tremble, the eye that blinked, as the smoke almost looked as if it was threatening to swallow Lilou up, leaving nothing but these crude parts of herself behind, mere simulacra in a sense of the real Lilou, pouring her heart out in front of millions of prying eyes, an audience, hopefully, finally watching her rather than her shadow, which stretched out in front of her (due to the position of the main spotlight shining down on her, as aformentioned).

Je me tiens sur la pointe des pieds
Et je fais une pirouette
En spectacle, je me donne
Mais je me cache dedans
Dans les yeux des autres
Je me trouve, je trouve la vide
Ils applaudissent l'ombre
Plutot qu'ils me regarderont

Towards the end of the verse just gone, the camera had zoomed in towards image of Lilou's eye in the mirror shown during the chorus. From this, with the work of some after effects, this eye mixed with Lilou's, and from this mixture Lilou's in turn emerged, arising out of this conference between the drawing and the real, and in a sense breaking through. From this very zoomed in position on her eye, the camere zoomed out slowly to show Lilou's face. As she sung, waves of anguish rushing across her face, looking straight out into the camera, towards the whole entire multiverse and their eyes, a single, golden tear began to slowly wind its way down her face, a burst of colour, of prideful colour, amongst this wider scene. Otherwise, for the rest of the prechorus, the scene remained like this, close and intimate.

Et j'ai pu pas trouver les mots donc j'ai gardé le silence, aaah
Mais je lutte tous les jours, toutes les nuits, en tous les instants, aaah
J'en ai assez d'affrontements

As the chorus began, not much really changed, except the view showed of the stage was one that was slightly further out, and as the chorus progressed, a series of different shots at different angles and distances away from the stage were used to add some sense of movement. Meanwhile, the golden teardrop that had ran its way down Lilou's face was joined by one in the background image of the eye, falling to the bottom of the shard, then another, then another, such that the gold in fact began to rise up, drowning the eye, and this was joined by the other three shards too, until by the end of the chorus they were all this sort of mucky golden colour, almost obelisks now, surrounding Lilou, casting their glow down and inwards towards her.

Et alors, je vole
Et je m'enfuis
Je suis libre
Mais je vis toujours en servitude
Peut-être j'existe
Mais ça ne veut rien dire pour moi du tout

As the chorus ended, and Lilou began to hum away, a cameraman on stage, again using a steadicam, began a slow, close circular shot around her, which then turned forward to show the audience who at this point had been encouraged to turn on the flashlights on their phones, and then in a sense corkscrewing up and out, before fading back into a close up shot of Lilou, on the floor with her, a moment just of her singing the final chorus to the camera with just a single spotlight shining on her, the gold on the screens having faded away back into blackness. Then, as the final piano instrumental began, the fingers racing along the piano, the camera view too raced up to a shot looking down from the front onto the stage as a ring of lights begins to form around Lilou, appearing to form a prison cell around her. She reached out to the light, the beams playing through her fingers, all with an almost childlike sense of naivety in a way. The camera view, having begun from its high vantage pointm slowly moved between this image of a strange wonderment with a cage at once real and unreal, wider shots of the stage, but also on the shards which had returned to their role as mirrors, reflecting her from all sides, at once more real, and yet still only partial images. Still, they were, in a way, something closer to reality, truly reflecting her character. Meanwhile, some of the lighting units around the background screen twinkled, a constellation shining down too upon the stage, fading slightly brighter and less bright, almost presenting the image of a dark night sky shining down on Lilou, whilst the 'cage' slowly began to flicker, almost as if it was beginning to run of of power, lifting, freeing her but leaving her to what? As this occurred, she then seemed to curl into the fetal position as the lights, still dying, with what appeared to be their last effort, closed in on her, and when they finally met at her position, they finally died, leaving only the darkness, as the instrumental began to draw to its conclusion. A camera shot from above showed Lilou huddled together, the smoke finally beginning to hide her away, wisping and curling, its gnarled fingers drawing her in. Behind her, in the pentagon which had remained dark all the way, a ray of light shone through. A door seemed to have opened. An exit, a way out. Where will it lead? For now, that will have to wait, as the song came to an end, but the promise of hope, despite all the pain, and even if at the last gasp, and simply a glimpse, had made itself known.

Ouais, ouais, ouais...

Et alors, je vole
Et je m'enfuis
J'ai le droit aussi-si, si
D'être heureuse
De n'être personne pour une journée, ouais
[/align]

With that, the song and the performance were over. It had been the longest five minutes of Lilou's life, and now she could sit, relax, and enjoy the show, not that there were many acts left. Or well, she could, once she'd picked herself up and left the stage. She let out a shout of "Merci Aquéa! Merci tout le monde", one which betrayed how exhausting the experience had been for her, as she looked at the dizzying array of people before her and, just avoiding being completely confused, made her way backstage, whilst preparations for the next act from Fromulya, the first she would be able to watch properly, were made. She seemed to remember liking the song when she was listening to the studio versions beforehand, and so looked forward to it. A drink was in order. Definitely...

Some days, I imagine
That I have the right to be happy
But then I remember
That I am myself, calloused
The surprising reflection,
How long will it remain?
Among these lies
I live my own life

Am I completely crazy?
But what do your words even mean? Aaaah
They are empty, they scream
My head is spinning and teetering, aaaah
But I can't bring myself back down

And so I fly
Yet these heavy chains hold me down
And I run away
But only for a moment before they pull me back
I am free
But I still live in servitude
I am myself
But not that often

I stand on my tiptoes
And do a pirouette
I make a spectacle of myself
But I hide myself inside
In the eyes of others
I find myself, I find only emptiness
They applaud the shadow
Rather than seeing me

And I couldn't find the words so I kept quiet, aaah
But I struggle every day, every night, in every single moment, aaah
I've had enough of fighting

And so I fly
And I run away
I am free
But I still live in servitude
I might exist
But that doesn't really mean anything to me now

And so I fly
And I run away
I have the right to be happy too
To be nobody for a day, yes
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

18|Fromulya: Postcard

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:40 pm

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

18|Fromulya: Cut Aisyah Nurramadhani - "Ihsan"

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:46 pm

When Fromulya qualified to the grand final of the 53rd World Hit Festival in Bovingdon, Britonisea, it took many by surprise. Indeed, the ballad was quite typical of what Fromulya would send, only to flop time and time again. What was different this time, and how could Fromulya — far from being a fan favourite — qualify from a semifinal considered more competitive?

Some may argue that it was the influx of culturally-similar nations, such as North Alezia and Eraman, whose populations share similar music tastes to the Fromulyans. While this may be true in explaining the relatively successful result Fromulya gained during the final, many of these nations competed in the other semifinal, and thus were unable to vote Fromulya into qualification. Perhaps there was just something about the performance on that fateful night in Bovingdon that touched the hearts of the millions of voters around the multiverse.

Well, after the delegation returned from Bovingdon, the bosses at TVRF were rather intrigued at how to follow up with that result. After some intensive searching and lobbying, they managed to enlist producer Teuku Imran Abdiansyah to engage in the task of writing a track that showcases Fromulyan culture in a way that is up to international standards. And he did just that.

Teuku Imran hails from Pasai Darussalam, a province of Fromulya known for its considerable cultural influence from lands it has historically traded with. Merchants from Arabic ports, and Sanskrit-speaking traders, all saw Pasai as the gateway to trade with the rest of Fromulya. In the song he wrote for the World Hit Festival, Teuku Imrah takes this into consideration, with hopes that this kind of sound would be more accessible to foreign audiences.

He was given the freedom by TVRF to propose suitable singers, and he made a point to only nominate voices native to the region. Eventually, fellow Pasaian musician Cut Aisyah Nurramadhani was selected to represent the republic at the World Hit Festival. Originally, the working title of the song was "Sulaiman", and the song was in praise of the Prophet Solomon, sending the message that humanity today ought to take example from the figure. However, despite Cut Aisyah's agreement with the message, she found the lyrics to be unsuitable for an international competition, and was able to negotiate that the lyrics be changed with her own written lines.

Thus, the Fromulyan entry is titled "Ihsan", which is a common male name in Fromulya, but which etymologically means "the best". Cut Aisyah sings about how she wants to win Ihsan's heart, but it can be also interpreted that she wants to win "the best heart" for herself. It is not clear whether there is an identity behind the titular character, but some speculate that it might be a domestically-known celebrity or even a boy in the neighbourhood where Cut Aisyah lives.

Following its release, the track became a minor hit within the country, although the WHF performance is expected to draw attention to the song both domestically and internationally, and the result it gets in La Cañada may determine its fate on the Fromulyan charts. So let's talk about that.

The Fromulyan delegation sough to go big, hoping that there was a larger momentum going on in regards to its WHF results and that, if pulled off well, the entry may be well received in the eyes of the world. During rehearsals, critics — particularly those more familiar with the different song contests and festivals of the world — compared the performance to Sertab Erener's May 2003 performance of her song Every Way That I Can in Riga, Latvia.

For the big night, Cut Aisyah was wearing a traditional-inspired dress fit for a bride, also seen below.

Fromulya was drawn as the penultimate act, performing right after Lilou from Normandy & Picardy and before Tödlichebujoku's Sivartti Yataroo and Hajimee Heikkinen. However, the latter had withdrawn at the last minute due to illness, making Fromulya the last entry to be performed. Everyone knows how nerve-wrecking it is to perform first, but some may argue that there is even more pressure performing last, because you've seen all the amazing acts that have come before you and, regardless of what you do, people will remember you more the more recently you've performed — they'll remember if you pull it off, but it will be fresh in everyone's minds if you mess up.

With all this pressure, Cut Aisyah was too busy preparing for her own performance ot pay attention to the entry preceding hers, but she did see clips of the performance and was well aware of how dramatic it was. How do compete with such a deeply touching performance? But Cut Aisyah was determined to give her all, hopefully getting people back on their feet with her track and making sure that this World Hit Festival goes out with a bang.

As the postcard finished playing, the stage was dark. As the song began playing, some lights dimly lit the stage in gold illumination, particularly the singer. The camera was also zoomed in on Cut Aisyah, starting from the bottom and slowly working its way up towards the head. As soon as we could see her face, she started singing.

Oh for the record, the first word of the singer's name starts with a ch- sound and rhymes with the English word soot.

Dalam berpasangan, kita mencari isyarat

The camera quickly and dramatically zoomed out, and the lights began becoming more active and dynamic.

Yang ditinggal oleh mereka

Now the camera angles begin to change but are still at a considerably close distance to Cut Aisyah, who continues to carry the song with a smile, knowing that she's about to impress the world.

Terlahir fasih bicara bahasa qalbu
Kita sendiri memaknai cinta

Now the lights dimmed again, but this time the camera slowly panned up close to what seemed to be some people kneeling still. The tension was building in the arena, but all was to be unveiled soon.

And then the chorus broke out. The stage became fully illuminated again, and the camera, which continued to focus on those people, showed that they were in fact dancers performing a traditional dance (see gif above).

Bagaikan kain, hati penuh sulaman
Dengan namamu, kau lelaki idaman
Kebaikanmu, tanpa imbalan
Ku sangat ingin memenangkan hati Ihsan

Now the camera switched to shots of other backing performers on stage performing instruments. They took a band setup similar to that in a qasidah performance, though the clothes they were wearing were rather similar to the dancers. They were scattered throughout the stage, and the camera closed up on them one by one, at an intimate angle that highlighted the quality of music that Fromulya was presenting this edition.

As we return to the verse, the camera shows Cut Aisyah as she takes a few steps around the stage, singing this next part. We get to see here what the background screens looked like — the centre pentagonal piece displayed a gold sketch of Pasai Darussalam's Great Mosque on a black background, while all the other screens displayed sketches of the region's traditional architectural style, particularly the distinctive roof designs, also in gold on a black background.

Terik hari, sejuk malam
Dan perasaan itu ada
Kita ungkap yang di dalam
Hal yang tak bisa kita raba

Cut Aisyah comes to a stop but the song continues to build. She sings her words quite poetically, from the bottom of her heart for sure (she wrote them and all that). In the last line of the next part, everything seems to pause for a second as Cut Aisyah declares, "yes, this is love!"

Yang hilang dalam perkataan
Muncul di dalam perbuatan
Inilah pembuktian diri
Betulkah ini cinta? Sungguh ada!

Now Cut Aisyah can be seen grooving to the beat as she is singing. Various members of the audience can be seen getting up and dancing along to the song.

Now the camera switched to wider shots, panning across the whole stage, showing the audience enjoying the song, and showing Cut Aisyah dancing along to the beat as well. The dancers continued doing their thing. The dance they were doing had many moves, as you can see below, so there was never a dull or overly repetitive moment with them.
At the same time, several shots and panning of the audience is shown, with members of the crowd seen dancing to the song, particularly fans from countries whose music is culturally similar, though all kinds of fans were in on the fun. Finally, the dancers were shown once again, but suddenly they all brought their bodies to their thighs (reminiscent of prostration) and the lights seem to go out.

In this next part, the lights were indeed dim, except for a spotlight on Cut Aisyah. A camera from far away gradually zoomed in on Aisyah as she continued to sing, and as the tension in the arena continued to build.

Hasrat yang ada padaku semakin ada
Bagai air pasang yang tak kunjung reda
Kau tak seperti yang lain, kau berbeda
Kaulah lelaki yang sangat istimewa

A single shot of pyrotechnics erupted from the perimeters of the stage and then all the lights came back on. Cut Aisyah continued to dance around the stage, gradually making her way to the back of it, to behind where the backing singers were. Speaking of them, the backing singers now resumed their dancing, and one may notice that their moves were now more relaxed as the initial nervousness they may have had faded away, leaving on the stage some very proud and excited dancers.

As the song reached its home run, there was more excitement than ever among all the performers on stage. Throughout this part, Cut Aisyah made her way behind the dancers. After the last line of this last part, Cut Aisyah was behind the dancers. The former finished singing, the latter stopped dancing, and they all struck a pose. Likewise, the backing musicians stopped playing as well. The camera which showed an angle in front of them dramatically zoomed out and another shot of pyrotechnics shot out the perimeter of the stage.

The crowd went wild. After a few seconds, the dancers got up, they all formed a line (with Cut Aisyah in the middle) and held hands as they took a bow. Cut Aisyah brought the mic to her face and said to the audience: "Thank you Achaean Republic! Muchas gracias from Fromulya!". As they were the last to perform, they decided to soak up all the energy in the moment, before eventually leaving with grins on all their faces. This was it — all 18 entries in the 54th World Hit Festival have been performed, and it was time to determine the fate of these acts that have given their all to present the world with their amazing talents. As the hosts Fernández, Tanóus, and Rivera came onstage, Cut Aisyah and her entourage walked off with a sense of accomplishment.

They did themselves — and Fromulya — proud, for sure.

In seeking to become a couple, we look for the signs
That they have left behind
Born fluent in the language of the heart
It is us alone who defines what love is

Like cloth, my heart is full of embroideries
Of your name, you are the ideal man
Your kindness, it receives nothing in return
I really want to win Ihsan’s heart

The heat of the day, the cold of the night
And yet that feeling exists
We reveal what’s inside of ourselves
They are things that we can’t physically feel

What is lost in words
It appears in actions
This is a test to prove one’s self
Is this truly love? It really exists!

The passion in me intensifies
Like a high tide that does not end
You’re not like the others, you’re different
You are a very special man

Last edited by Achaean Republic on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Let the Voting Begin!

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:47 pm

After the last song has performed, both Fernández and Tanóus are in a platform slightly above the crowd. Rushing on the back, Rivera was running on her heels and quickly trying to get near the duo for a very important part: opening the voting lines.

Tanóus: A big thank you to Fromulya for the performance! And I believe, it’s been a very interesting night, don’t you think, ladies?

Fernández: Of course, mi amiga; it has been excellent. All the countries have done a great job tonight for their performances—but, at the end of the day, only one will walk away as the winner.

Rivera: (gasping for air) That is correct…ladies. Sorry, I had to rush before, I didn’t want to miss this!

Tanóus: No you won’t, honey; no, you won’t.

Fernández: I think this wonderful crowd here deserves…Erm…I don’t know, 15 minutes to vote for their entry? (Both Tanóus and Rivera nod in agreement).

Tanóus: Yes, habibi, that sounds excellent!

Rivera: Please remember: you can vote online at http://www.worldhitfestival.tv, through text message, the World Hit Festival app, and—if you’re in select countries—WhatsApp. I guess we’re ready!

Fernández: Well, it sure feels like it.

Fernández, Tanóus, and Rivera: MULTIVERSE, START VOTING NOW!

Fireworks started popping out from around the arena and the greenroom nearby, where the performers were attempting to relax. The crowd was cheering, waving their flags and banging on their instruments before the camera cut to a brief fifteen-second review of all songs in the competition and a live camera feed of the respective delegation waving to the viewers at home.

In the center of the stage, Rivera appeared—socially distanced, of course—from the rest of the crowd.

Rivera: And I guess it’s time to turn up the party, don’t ya think? (The crowd cheered wildly.). One of the things Achaeans are known for worldwide is our irreverent sense of humor and the ability to look at everything with a smile in our faces. And this is our little taste of good, old-fashioned Achaean fun to you, hehe! So please welcome to stage, our very favorite corolana, Laaaaaara Amaaandaaaaa!
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:50 pm

Lara Amanda enjoyed fame quite well. This time, in La Cañada, a skip and a hop away from her hometown in La Izquierda, made things a bit different. While she didn’t grow up in the city per se, she did have some family members who resided there. She also went to many school trips to the caves, and maybe had a summer boyfriend or two to make out with near the Pentagonal cave. The throng of cheering fans, mostly Achaeans, would make the performance even more nerve-wracking. But of course, her ballerina training kicked into high gear and she could make it work.

The LED screens show a very peculiar interface some members of the audience were painfully familiar with. A familiar ping rang out as the first house beats were playing. The interface shown on screen was split in three: the first part had a small, black rectangle with a chiseled torso, a green circle, and a five-pointed star. The second part was gray and had interlocking text bars with alternating blue and orange text boxes. The bottom part, perhaps the greater two-thirds, had an Apple-looking keyboard in the interface interlocking with an emoji screen. For many anxious people in the audience listening to these sounds, they were somewhat subconsciously checking their phones, their faces sheepish and shadily looking at the sides to see who or what sent those nonexistent messages through their phones. The few Achaeans in the crowd were cracking up, all the while hiding their apprehension themselves.

On the stage, four male dancers were aimlessly wandering around the stage with their expensive smartphones, dressed in peculiar urban fashions. Some were just walking. Others were stretching their arms and legs in a rhythmic fashion. Lara Amanda, meanwhile, was walking en pointe from the back to the front of the stage. She was wearing a orange-and-yellow jumpsuit inspired by Fenty and modified by Corola fashion designer Alexey Lafayette, who embroidered a gilded “54” in the center of the heel, a nod to both her song and the performance. She also wore black ballet bondage heels that were pointed towards the bottom and had interlocking silver laces, making her look sexy and empowered.

This performance was meant to be sensual, sexual, chaotic, and irreverent. Very Achaean indeed.

For the first stanza, Lara Amanda slowly but tactfully bent her body and made herself look like a crab—she was, after all, a Cancer, and she needed to live her season. She began to waack while singing, looking intently at the camera while contorting her body into a crab-like fashion. Even with the bending of her body, she looked tall mighty and imposing. The dancers beside her threw away their phones and also began waacking with her, their rhythmic and somewhat violent moves contrasting with the classier and daintier (some in the business will say soft and cunt) from the former ballerina/video vixen. Their legs and feet were kept steady in the round, their arm movements growing expressive and conflicting yet always coinciding with the rocking house beat. Some even took the time to wink at the audience, probably seducing them and playing with them along.

Eres anfitrión o viajero
Te haré felíz (¿Me escuchas?)
Cómo sé que eres de verdad
Qué propuesta me dices
Lo que hago (¿Cúando? ¿Cómo?)

The LED floor below them swiftly transformed from a busy road into a dance floor with pulsating colors in a rhythmic fashion. When Lara Amanda rapped “Está lloviendo,” however, the camera switched to a wide pan of the stage and she and all the dancers immediately pulled out small grey pocket umbrellas. (Why grey, did you ask? It was the cheapest umbrella the delegation could find in a pinch.) The LED behind them also showed raindrops falling intensely on the ground, confirming the speaker’s dual negation and excuse of committing due to weather. As if weather ever stopped any encounters from happening. The stage lights as well change into a blue-white-grey hue, giving the ambience of a rainy day that invites laziness and not an encounter. It was inviting and comfortable, a dissonance to the dancers’ harshness on the floor.

Sí, yo sé que te encuentras solo
No puedo hoy
Está lloviendo
Lloviendo
Está lloviendo

In the left camera, Lara Amanda swiftly slid from the center and the men lined up with their umbrellas. The men on the sides had their umbrellas above their heads, and the two men on the middle had the umbrellas beside their waists. Back to the front camera, she was walking as if she were an army general inspecting the troops. This gave the performance a much more comical and irreverent vibe, a subversion of gender roles and a deconstruction of sexuality. The flag-waving crowd was cheering her on, looking imposing and fantastical with her boots and owning her fantasy.

Ya-achú, achú
¿Cómo tú estás? Bien
Espérame
Te busco un paño
Achú, achú
¿Cómo estás?
No puedo hoy

Once Lara Amanda finishes walking, she swiftly grabs one of the men’s umbrella and does a split, spreading her two legs in the air while she sings “Está lloviendo” and the men humorously react with fake-surprised and fake-undignified facial postures. In a split second, two men quickly pick her up the floor and begin spinning her around while another two men dance on the sides, treating their light umbrellas as fans to which they could dip and dance and point at Lara Amanda whenever she was ready to pick up and perform again.

Not only the spinning added flavor to the performance, it also served to rest Lara’s tired yet calloused feet as the podiatrist recommended. It wasn’t that she never practiced with ballet heels before—after all, she was already doing pointe work since she was 12 years old—rather, the strenuous dance moves would take a dangerous toll on her feet if she were not careful. There were small strains and stress points throughout her body from years of practice and overuse and all-around carelessness.

Está lloviendo
Lloviendo
Está lloviendo

The wide pan returned to the camera where the dancers briefly accommodated Lara Amanda to the top stage, standing proud and erect. She then began catwalking towards the camera in a stunning 3-D fashion, looking intently at the audience both at the arena and at home. She moved her arms in a single triangle formation (left hand over right shoulder) and alternated with her hips, left-right-left. All the while, she was hitting every beat and looking intently at the camera, as if she were challenging the audience to say something. As she grew closer to the camera, the four dancers beside her were catwalking as well, this time with their umbrellas hidden in their back pockets and the phones pulled back from God knows where they found them the last time. (They actually had two dummy spares.)

Eres anfitrión o viajero
Cómo sé que eres de verdad
Qué propuesta me dices
Lo que hago (¿Cúando? ¿Cómo?)

Once again, Lara Amanda placed herself in a Cancer formation and the rest of the dancers followed her lead. This time, the dancers below her decided to make cartwheels crisscrossing each other and barely touching each other across the stage. While they awaited their turn, the other dancers swayed their hips from side to side in a feminine fashion and scrolled their (prop) phones with one hand. It was hard to embody the tried-and-true, soft-and-cunt femininity in their moves, especially when they had tight shoes and even tighter clothes.

No puedo hoy
Está lloviendo
Lloviendo
Está lloviendo[box]

The music’s tone changed. Two of the dancers carried Lara Amanda’s feet and elevated her as if they were performing a cheer routine. One dancer suddenly pulled up a cardboard hammer and sickle decorated with the rainbow flag from his back pocket and bent his knees to the camera, his arms raised and facing the screen. Behind her, another man was marching beside them, the camera looking at his chiseled arms. Lara Amanda pulled a copy of a vintage Chairman Mao hat with a green camo look and a plastic red star glued to its center front. (This would ruffle some anti-Communist feathers both in Achaea and abroad for such spectacular display of neo-blasphemous Maoist communism, but as stated before, this performance was meant to be a true slap in the face to Achaea’s conservative prejudices—after all, it was supposed to be irreverent. Lara Amanda never understood nor cared about communism well enough to become a Bolshevik. But she knew rainbows and colors made it trendy. And French more so. As she poke the words in Spanish, her voice sounded emphatic, triumphant and completely exaggerated—not unlike the tone of a North Korean news reporter.

[box][align=center]¡Sí, hermanos y hermanas de la burguesía! ¡Es tiempo de levantarnos del sueño de la indiferencia! Yo no consiento a este encuentro, ¡y a mí nadie me obliga ni me presiona a hacer algo divertido!

[spoilers=Translation]
Yes! Brothers and sisters of the bourgeoisie: It’s time to wake up from the dream of indifference. I don’t consent to this encounter, and nobody forces nor pressures me to do something fun!
[/spoilers]

Lara Amanda then swerved to the lower end of the stage, carefully tiptoeing in her ballet shoes while making her swerve look effortless. Those shoes hurt so much, she thought to herself! Who was the idiot that convinced her to risk injury to her feet while wearing such high heels!? Not that she didn’t look sexy on them, mind you. Not that she didn’t at least overstretch a muscle once or twice wearing the regular plier shoes as she tiptoed her tall, skinny, and imposing frame over her bulging toes. They ached the longer she wore them and the more sheer thoughts were consumed by them, in a three-minute performance—and she performed six hours straight in a charity ballet fundraising marathon when she was a teenager, what have you. And yet, she winced through the pain, taking the over-the-top sultriness of her movements in stride, making the actions around her look sensible and effortless.

The dancers behind her kept their movements. Unlike other moments where they would carry and spin her around, this time involved smaller tip-toe-like movements to the left-right-left of the stage. The LED floor around them swifted into a pulsating dance-floor pattern, and the beaming lights surrounding transformed the stage into a vivacious disco ball. It was a vivacious, queer moment laden with the dubious negation of a sexual encounter.

No me quiero mojar (lloviendo)
Me puedo enfermar (lloviendo)
Ahora es muy tarde ya (lloviendo)
No puedo hoy
Está lloviendo
¡Lloviendo!
¡Está lloviendo!
¡Lloviendo!
¡Está lloviendo!

Lara Amanda and the all the dancers performed a dip and slip—or in layman’s terms, a death drop—at the final beat. The Milano crowed cheered for the Achaeans, even though the song was all but over. For those finely tuned with the Achaean memetic imagery, the next final seconds were a treat.

The camera slowly moved towards the front ledge, where a young cameraman with a big microphone, a boom microphone stand on the side, aimlessly whitling to the beat of the music. He also had a peculiar T-shirt with the same interface as shown before in the LED screens, only this time with few messages in light blue and orange boxes. There was something uniquely perplexing about his presence—as his face was somewhat familiar to many before. Suddenly, the camera went above his head and a thud was faintly heard to viewers at home, as if he fell. Of course, the gag was over—it was Jose the Floor Manager, Achaean Z-lister celebrity turned into a meme that banked on those brief thirty seconds of attention.

Lara Amanda waved to the crowd, enthusiastic about her performance. She shouted to the crowd, “Thank you! Gracias, La Cañada!” and made heart motions.

But she wasn’t done yet.
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Lara Amanda: Piragüita

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:53 pm

“Hold on, que les tengo una ñapa”, she said to the crowd while trying to catch her breath. In Achaean Spanish, a ñapa is a surprise or a bonus. She took off the first part of her bodysuit, revealing a T-shirt with a strawberry piragüa in a plastic cup. The people in the arena screamed, knowing what was about to come next.

A piragüa is a shaved ice desert that is shaped like a pyramid, covered with different fruit-flavores syrups like lemon, guava, coconut and even ginger and cinnamon. The people who make this concoction, called piragüeros, would carry a small pushcart around the city enticing its customers to enjoy a frozen treat on a hot summer day. That is why an old man suddenly came on stage carrying the pushcart with different flavors and a huge block of ice, holding a freshly made piragüa in his hand. At the same time, another piragüero showed up at the green room where Rivera was at, offering sweet concoctions to the participants.

The beat suddenly changed to the amusement of the crowd. Lara Amanda would sing an old-fashioned party classic, Piragüita.

She had to quickly change her ballet heels to sneakers, though.

Se hace azúcar en la boca
Si calienta, me derrito toda
Caña de azúcar, jugo de limón
¡Ay, ay, ay!

Se hace azúcar en la boca
Si calienta, me derrito toda
¡Ay, ay, ay!

Está bien friíto (está)
Está sabrosito (está)
Está bien bonito (está)
Mézclalo suavecito

Está bien friíto (está)
Está sabrosito (está)
Está bien bonito (está)
Mézclalo suavecito

Guaya y mece, mece
Un sirope está
Azúcar está bueno
Pa’ probar tu boca

Guaya y mece, mece
Malicia, sal pa’ ya (sal pa’ ya)
Pa’ curar la resaca

Dame piragüita en la boca
Deja piragüita en la boca
Goza pïraguita en la boca
¡Ay, ay, ay!

It becomes sugar in your mouth
If it’s hot, I start melting
Sugar cane and lemon juice
Hey, hey, hey

It becomes sugar in your mouth
If it’s hot, I start melting
Sugar cane and lemon juice
Hey, hey, hey

It’s very cold (it is!)
It’s so delicious (it is!)
It’s very pretty (it is!)
Mix it so softly

It’s very cold (it is!)
It’s so delicious (it is!)
It’s very pretty (it is!)
Mix it so softly

Scrape and mix, and mix
A syrup it is
Sugar for me it’s good
To taste in your mouth

Scrape and mix, and mix
Wickedness, go away! (go away!)
Sugar cane, lemon juice
To cure a hangover

Give me a piragüa in the mouth
Leave the piragüa in the mouth
Enjoy a piragüa in the mouth
Hey, hey, hey

The crowd was jumping, swerving and dancing to the beat. In both the arena and the green room, the people were having fun with the piragüas, while the foreigners were confused at the many associations of clever wordplay and innuendo found in the song. But like the original singer behind it, it required someone with the agency and the power behind it to call the crowd and have them respond to the music. Some fools even tried to take off their masks, but they were quickly shot down by a self-policing crowd experienced in impromptu events.

At the end of the song, while the audience was tired and sweaty, and Lara Amanda was short of breath, she took a big breath of air and shouted to the public, “THANK YOU LA CAÑADA! GRACIAS! THAT WAS SO FUN!” before she left the stage, trying to not crawl under the floor.
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Janís Ortíz: Remedio

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:55 pm

Vania Fernández was with the audience within spitting distance of the crowd trying to grab the camera’s attention and feebly attempting to call their mothers so they can quickly turn on the TV and watch them make a fool of themselves.

Fernández: That was fun! (sigh) God, I needed to make that little bit of exercise! Anyway, I am once again asking you for a favor…Have you voted for your favorite entry? (She looks at the audience behind her, looking at her back quizzically.) I said, have you voted? (The audience quickly grabs their phones and tries to get onto the many ways to vote for their contestant). Haha! Well, in the meantime, I guess we’ve still got some time left to vote, so it looks like it’s the perfect time to show some history. (She walks towards the camera.) In the 29th edition of the World Hit Festival, Anamarija Lubina stunned the hearts and minds of the Multiverse with the song “Remedy.” What many don’t know is that she came to Achaea and sang a version of this song, “Remedio,” and became a number one charting hit in the country! Now, we decided to honor this beautiful melody in such desperate times. We hope you enjoy “Remedio” with Janís Ortíz!

Janis Ortíz entered from the front pentagonal side, where the camera was facing the front stage. Beside her right, two backup singers dressed in black were intonating the first Ah, ah, ah-ah-ah, ah, ah, ah-ah-ah” sounds that were coming from the tune. Janis was wearing an embellished gray needle tulle gown with frilly patterns and decorations and small, flowery sequins embroidered on each petal. It had fine straps and a matching ankle bracelet. She was barefoot, her toes painted with an ombre mixture of gray and beige—pretty enough to not look bland, but inconspicuous enough to not detract from the performance. Her hair let down, she looked as if she was walking towards a very sandy beach on a windy day—a not uncommon sight in the Achaean coastline. The LED screens behind her, in fact, reflect the many sights of Achaean exteriors: the damp caves, the rivers, the sea’s crashing waves towards the sand.

There’s not much movement or theatrics in the performance. Instead, this all relies on Janis’ emotional delivery—just like Anamarija Lubina back in Vodiznad.

Cada día me acuerdo de la fortuna
Que tú eres en mi vida, la has cambiado por algo mejor
Mi vida es un momento de clareza
Me has hecho realizar que hay una esperanza
Tras la oscuridad en la que me encontré

The LED screens below her portrayed the water hitting the sands with moving seashells and small hermit crabs. She walked and tried to extend her right hand while carrying her microphone in the left. She tried to portray gracefulness and innocence, a very hard thing for a twenty-three-year-old to do on stage, but she matched her delivery with the vocal range.

Hay tanto que no se ha dicho entre los dos
Mensajes de agradecimiento dejados al silencio
Cada cicatriz que cargo en mí
Cuando sea el momento juro que todo contaré

Around her, a small mist of water became small drops of rain that scattered in a circle. The LED screens behind her had the same outdoor scenes—the beach, the caves, the river—become invaded with light-gray skies and light rain. This rain would dampen her hair, to which she would use to her advantage and stroke and play with it.

Camera 12 would show a cross-section of the audience enjoying the song, swaying themselves by its familiar beat barring the language barrier. They waved their flags and sang the song with the same strength as they did before, especially for those that remember Anamarija’s performance. The original song was contemplative and self-introspective; this version was filled with triumph and finality. That was Janis’ version, the culmination of a personal dream.

Gracias a ti soy más fuerte
En mis moentos de debilidad te aseguraste que aún respiraba
Gracias a tí soy valiente
Ahora puedo hoy ser libre y vivir al máximo
Son tantas cosas
Que quiesiera decirte
que están encerradas
Día por día los diré
eres mi remedio

For the second part of the song, the “rain” surrounding and sprinkling Janis died down. She walked towards Camera 5 while slowly arching her body so as to not fall face-down to the floor and break her nose. (It happened once when she was competing in Achaean Idol, and she doesn’t want to talk about it.) But it was important for Janis to bring the viewer into her world—after all, she had nothing else to fall back on besides herself.

He dado por hecho todo lo que has hecho
A veces dudo si te puedo merecer
Solo estar contigo es razón de vida
Ahora soy libre de poder vivir mi vida al máximo

Once again, the LED screens below her portrayed the water hitting the sands with moving seashells and small hermit crabs. She walked and tried to extend her right hand while carrying her microphone in the left. She tried to portray gracefulness and innocence, a very hard thing for a twenty-three-year-old to do on stage, but she matched her delivery with the vocal range.
Hay tanto que no se ha dicho entre los dos
Mensajes de agradecimiento dejados al silencio
Cada cicatriz que cargo en mí
Cuando sea el momento juro que todo contaré

Gracias a ti soy más fuerte
En mis moentos de debilidad te aseguraste que aún respiraba

From here on, an unusual sight happened. Someone in production spliced undercover found-footage from the Fábrica Salina Izmeduana, the controversial saline plant headed by shady Izmeduan executives in the outskirts of Corola City, closed down in March amid allegations of human trafficking, illegal labor practices and a growing cluster of coronavirus infections in the state’s early response to the crisis. Politically speaking, much of the state’s hobbled response to the pandemic affected the current government’s standing in the public, especially with an election where the opposition was bound to take over the Presidency and legislature out of an exhaustion of the current party’s center- to left-wing policies.

The producers at AS1 and TVS were not happy at the latest. The organizers were scrambling at the cameras, slowly freaking out over one of the many backing tapes of the final rehearsals they could splice over and could quickly preempt the live recording inconspicuously to the audience at home. Images of workers protesting the factory’s conditions and a young Marija Jelena Tomasevic, an Izmeduan human trafficking victim turned Miss Acaya 2020, carrying a picket sign with the words, SE ACABÓ EL LLANTO (“The Tears Are Over”). As producers tarried and the Multiverse’s commentators expressed their divisive, biting, sarcastic, and sometimes insightful expressions on the foibles of Achaean politics, Janis tried to keep her cool and kept her performance with nary a hint of unrattled nerves.

Cuán profundas mis gracias superan las palabras
Un día te devolveré bajo mis condiciones, mas cuando el día llegue

But she knew the audience wasn’t booing at her, nor throwing pictures to her—instead, they were making quick Instagram Lives and WhatsApping their connections to look at the sudden disaster that unfolded. In the arena, many Izmeduans were paralyzed in fear. In the green room, the Izmeduan delegation was speechless and brimming with trepidation.

(Gracias a ti soy más fuerte
En mis moentos de debilidad te aseguraste que aún respiraba)
Son tantas cosas
Que quiesiera decirte
que están encerradas
Día por día los diré
eres mi remedio
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

The Intermissión: El Mundo Que Yo Anhelo

Postby Achaean Republic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:56 pm

He visto de todo en mi anciana edad
Un millar de errores en la humanidad
Y aún así de fuerzas lleno all legar

Tengo una promesa en mi corzón
Que la llevo desde mi joven razón
Esta tierra tiene nombre y virazón

Todavía mis fuerzas son más
Ya la guerra se volverá en paz

Es tiempo de escalar
La montaña que anhelo
Y hacer mi ciudad
El mundo que yo espero
¿Quíen lo arrebatará?

Recuerda, oh valiente, de tu juventud
Tu piel llena de grandeza y virtud
Nunca derramé tan pobre actitud

Llegó el tiempo de acabar con mi misión
Y hacer de esta tierra un mundo mejor
Confía en tus fuerzas, hembra y varón

No te dejes amedrentar
Por los vientos, la arena y la sal

Es tiempo de escalar
La montaña que anhelo
Y hacer mi ciudad
El mundo que yo espero
¿Quíen lo arrebatará?

Es tiempo de escalar
La montaña que anhelo
Y hacer mi ciudad
El mundo que yo espero
¿Quíen lo arrebatará?

[align=center]I’ve seen everything in my ancient age
A thousand errors of humanity
And still I am full of strength as I am

I have a promise in my heart
That I have carried from my young reasoning
This last has a name and a breeze

My strengths are still even more
Now war will be transformed to peace

It’s time to climb
The mount I desire
And make my city
The world I hope for
Who’ll take it away from me?

Remember, oh brave one, of your youth
Your skin filled with so much grandiose virtue
I never poured such poor attitude

The time has come to finish my mission
And make of this land a better place
Trust in your strengths, female and male

Don’t let yourself feel afraid
Because of the wine, the sand and the salt
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Stop Voting Now!

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:59 pm

After all the interval entries have performed, the crowd was anxiously awaiting for the final seconds before voting. Many still had their fingers on their cellphones, seeing if they can find ways to vote before the deadline. Others, especially those from afar, were more than ready to practice their Spanish numbers whenever the countdown would commence. Meanwhile, Fernández and Tannóus were in the stage holding their cards, awaiting for the cre.

Tanóus: We’ve got less than thirty seconds to vote, everybody!

Fernández: Let’s see if you have the time to crank up some votes, people! One of these eighteen performers will be crowned a winner!

Fernández & Tannóus (both): Ten… Nine…Eight…Seven…Six…Five…Four…(switch to Spanish)Tres…Dos…Uno…STOP VOTING NOW! PAREN DE VOTAR! The votes are done!

Both Fernández and Tannóus gave themselves a high five as pyrotechnics blasted on the screen and the now-familiar refrain many in La Cañada knew by heart, dum-dum, dum could be heard on both the arena and the green room beside it. In the latter, Rivera was beside a platform, waiting for her turn to speak.

Rivera: Ladies and gentlemen, madames et monsieurs, damas y caballeros, the voting is officially closed. In a few minutes, we will learn who will win the World Hit Festival. But first! We have to have a quick chat to the all-knowing, somewhat-powerful, dangerously impervious Overseer of the World Hit festival, who is also the guardian of tonight’s voting process…Mr. Guy Autriche! Buenas noches, señor Autriche!

Rivera waved to Guy Autriche, the Overseer of the World Hit Festival, who was sitting alongside a large table with the Executive Producers of the contest, AS1’s Ernesto Vázquez, and TVS’ Ana María Graciani. Autriche waved back.

Rivera: ¡Buenas noches, Señor Overseer! How are you enjoying yourself in La Cañada? Did you have the chance to see the cave?

Autriche: Hello there everybody, I hope you are all doing well, I certainly am...I'm very much enjoying the show. Unfortunately no, I haven't yet had a chance to visit the caves yet, I've been on the move trying to make sure the Festival goes ahead as planned but I'm sure I'll be able to catch up on everything I've missed after tonight's show!

Rivera: That’s great, Mr. Autriche. Well, we must ask the question: Are we ready to present the votes?

Autriche:I can confirm that we have received all of the results for tonight and they've been verified. Its for you now to reveal who will be the 54th winners of the World Hit Festival.

Rivera: Thank you so much, Mr. Overseer! ¡Muchas gracias!

In a brief image, the camera showed how Graciani was trying to slip a paper to Guy Autriche, only for him to place his hand beside hers and slowly push it back.

Rivera: Back to you, Nadine and Vania!

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Intro to Phase One

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:47 pm

Back to the arena, Fernández and Tanóus were behind a big screen where the scoreboard was shown.

Fernández: Thank you, Adriana Marie!

Tanóus: Well, I think it’s time to begin Phase One, don’t you think?

Fernández: Exactly, Nadine! Phase One is as follows:

Fernández (voiceover): We will reveal the countries’ cumulative score from 1 to 4 points in Spanish language alphabetical order. It’s easy to follow: We start from A, B, C… you know what I mean!

Tanóus: These points will comprise two-thirds of the score, and these will get us ready for those famous five points! Ooh, I’m excited!

Fernández: Of course you are, Nadine! Buena suerte, and good luck.

Image[/align]
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase One: Alezia del Norte

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:52 pm

Tanóus: Let’s begin with North Alezia, Alezia del Norte.

Fernández: North Alezia gets…

Fernández and Tanóus: 12 points!

Image[/center]

[align=center]Image

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase One: Alezia del Sur

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:56 pm

Tanóus: South Alezia, Alezia del Sur…Oh, God.

Fernández: Oh my God, that’s…bad.

Fernández and Tanóus Nothing!

Tanóus: We’re so sorry, South Alezia! We really are!

Fernández: Hmm-hmm.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Phase One: Bipí

Postby Achaean Republic » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:59 pm

Tanóus: Let’s move on to Beepee, ¡Bipí!

Fernández: Yes, Beepee! We stan!

Fernández and Tanóus 12 points!

PreviousNext

Advertisement