NATION

PASSWORD

BAEN | WORLDVISION SONG CONTEST 84 | Milano #BetterTogether

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Founded: May 26, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

21|Achaean Republic|Lara Amanda-"Está Lloviendo"

Postby Achaean Republic » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:00 pm

21| Achaean Republic
Lara Amanda: “Está Lloviendo”
Tune: TARABAROVA - МЕНІ КАЗКОВО
Music & Lyrics:Yamira Calderón, Marcos “Marquitos” Correa

Lara Amanda Ríos never wanted to be a singer. She enjoyed music like any other young girl, but singing was never her priority in life. She had her typical schoolgirl crushes on those nineties boybands she grew up with—NSync, Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block, Boyz II Men. She lived for the Cómplices al Rescate when they came to Achaea in a sold-out youth concert. She also had every Harry Potter book in Spanish and English (her uncle lived in America and would send her a new Harry Potter book as soon as it came out of the press), and had all the Rebelde CDs and backpacks, and knickknacks and knew all their moves. That was her passion: movement. She wanted to be a front-line dancer for the world’s most famous pop artists of the time. Britney Spears. Christina Aguilera. Madonna. Oh, how she wanted to vogue in the eyes of the world or, at least, in front of a TV screen! What a time to be alive!

Lara Amanda was born in the city of La Izquierda, a sleepy and irresolute fishing hamlet not so far from Corola City. Her father, Mariano Ríos Correa, used to be a production manager at one of the last paper factories in the region until it closed in 2008. Her mother, Alicia Vergara, was the daughter of one-time mayor Eliseo Vergara, whose only claim to fame was showing up drunk to his own inauguration and his election, where he voted against the wishes of his own party. Because of her circumstances, she grew up in a well-off household unlike the arguably poor fishing and manufacturing families. By suburban corolano standards, she lived a comfortable life—maybe not one with the luxuries afforded to other children her age a half-hour away in the big city, but enough for her to be happy and enjoy life with her younger brother and her grandparents nearby.

When she was a child, Doña Alicia took Lara Amanda to Corola City for some mother-daughter bonding. She had a fun time visiting fancy restaurants and visiting local museums, until she passed by a large window where a young woman dressed in a leotard teaching other students to stay en pointe while listening to the faint sounds of Swan Lake. She was enthralled with the gracefulness of the young ballet dancers practicing their plier while lifting their arms following the releve. She loved the pink tutus and pointy shoes the dancers were wearing. She even liked how a cute trigueño boy was following the dance moves near the mirror as the ballerina taught the class. For a few minutes, Lara Amanda’s body would sway to the rhythm of the music, mentally practicing the triumphant moves in her brain and basking herself in the glory of the cultured audiences of the world.

Within thirty minutes, Doña Alicia signed Lara Amanda up to take ballet classes at the local branch of the University of Corola Department of Fine Arts Youth Program. It cost a pretty corcino, but she got her pink tutu, ballet shoes, a hairnet, a leotard and a passion to go all the way to Corola City two times a week to develop her ballet skills. In a few classes, she was one of the best and brightest dancers they’ve ever seen in the in her program. She could bend her feet 90 degrees, do plier and twirl like no other. Her flexibility was astounding, and her moves were—pardon the pun—en pointe. In fact, she even received a Youth Arts Scholarship from the University of Corola Fine Arts High School so she could develop her passion for dance.

During her time in the Fine Arts High School, she performed many classical ballet pieces, ranging from the subtle to the complex. Gorsky’s Don Quixote. Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake. Giselle. Harlequinade. Many considered Lara Amanda a ballet prodigy, one that, with modern practice and harnessing her natural talents alongside her high grades, could take the ballet world by storm. But it was her youthful tenacity and passion for ballet that brought young Lara Amanda at loggerheads over her future, more so when—so say the rumors—legendary Cuban ballerina Alicia Alonso, founder of the world-class Ballet de Cuba, stealthily watched one of her performances while she was in town. Upon admiring the gracefulness Lara Amanda showed on stage, she quietly demanded to speak to her director and beckoned to learn about the young woman. Little did Lara Amanda know that she would have a hard choice to make in her very young life: either study the art of ballet in the prestigious Havana Ballet, or stay in Corola and keep working her way towards a degree of Fine Arts.

Instead, she snuck into a local discoteca in the Corola slums to dance night away and twerk her way to some good reggaeton and hip-hop. The rapid and aggressive, nonetheless sexual, movements virulently clashed with the graceful and classical ballet style. She wasn’t alienated to the hypnotic and vulgar rhythm, no. But she wanted to combine both dance styles, to which the stuffy and somewhat conservative university ballet corps. With her unique, flowing movements and newfound city grit, Lara Amanda became one of the Corola urban scene’s foremost video vixens, showing off her ballet moves while dancing en pointe and mixing go-go with down-home perreo.

She never thought of herself as a singer, but she never knew her entertainment career would go the way of Paula Abdul: Her dance friends entered Lara Amanda into WorldVision: La Final after sheepishly recording a two-minute clip of her covering a Britney Spears song while warming up for a dance recital. In a few weeks, she was invited by the Achaean WorldVision delegation to compete in a revamped national selection with nine other performers. After two rounds and many votes from the Achaean public and select Multiversal nations, she won the right to represent Achaea in Besen and show her first single, Está Lloviendo (“It’s Raining”) to the world watching there—and maybe, if she’s lucky, net herself a very first career win.

The throng of cheering fans waving flags and showing their lights appear in the first camera shots before the Achaean entry begins. Talking about them, there aren’t as many loud, restive and rambunctious Achaeans as you would expect in a normal WorldVision crowd—whereas the country slowly lifted pandemic restrictions and reopened select spaces for tourism purposes, many compatriots chose to stay home. Even if significantly more affordable than before, flights to Besen were sparse and out of reach for the typical Achaean budget. Rather, many would watch the contest through Zoom parties and very judicious get-togethers where allowed, so as not to run afoul of the competing demands of federal, state and local jurisdictions. This means that, for the first time in a while, the few Achaeans that made the trip to Besen and took advantage of the 1,000 fan tickets sponsored through a fan club lottery were not able to congregate in one specific corner and cheer on for their entry—rather, they were scattered around the cavernous arena. But wherever there was a camera, the Achaeans were there: waving their fueguero flags, shouting at the screen, playing their panderos and hitting their well-seasoned pilones with full vigor, always having a great time, even at a distance.

After the classic red-blue-green lights spur through the camera, the LED screens show a very peculiar interface some members of the audience were painfully familiar with. A familiar ping rang out as the first house beats were playing. The interface shown on screen was split in three: the first part had a small, black rectangle with a chiseled torso, a green circle, and a five-pointed star. The second part was gray and had interlocking text bars with alternating blue and orange text boxes. The bottom part, perhaps the greater two-thirds, had an Apple-looking keyboard in the interface interlocking with an emoji screen. For many anxious people in the audience listening to these sounds, they were somewhat subconsciously checking their phones, their faces sheepish and shadily looking at the sides to see who or what sent those nonexistent messages through their phones. The few Achaeans in the crowd were cracking up, all the while hiding their apprehension themselves.

On the stage, four male dancers were aimlessly wandering around the stage with their expensive smartphones, dressed in peculiar urban fashions. Some were just walking. Others were stretching their arms and legs in a rhythmic fashion. Lara Amanda, meanwhile, was walking en pointe from the back to the front of the stage. She was wearing a orange-and-yellow jumpsuit inspired by Fenty and modified by Corola fashion designer Alexey Lafayette, who embroidered a gilded “21” in the center of the heel, the position for her performance. She also wore black ballet bondage heels that were pointed towards the bottom and had interlocking silver laces, making her look sexy and empowered. En pointe work is very tough and discriminating for any ballerina, let alone wearing seven-inch heels while carrying the weight of the body on your feet! Because this movement is so demanding—and the performance essentially requires her to be en point for more than three minutes of strenuous physical exercise—, the Achaean delegation hired a podiatrist and a physical therapist who were waiting in the back to come to Lara’s rescue should the need arise.

This performance was meant to be sensual, sexual, chaotic, and irreverent. Very Achaean indeed.

For the first stanza, Lara Amanda slowly but tactfully bent her body and made herself look like a crab—she was, after all, a Cancer, and she needed to live her season. She began to waack while singing, looking intently at the camera while contorting her body into a crab-like fashion. Even with the bending of her body, she looked tall mighty and imposing. The dancers beside her threw away their phones and also began waacking with her, their rhythmic and somewhat violent moves contrasting with the classier and daintier (some in the business will say soft and cunt) from the former ballerina/video vixen. Their legs and feet were kept steady in the round, their arm movements growing expressive and conflicting yet always coinciding with the rocking house beat. Some even took the time to wink at the audience, probably seducing them and playing with them along.

Eres anfitrión o viajero
Are you hosting or traveling?

Te haré felíz (¿Me escuchas?)
I’ll make you happy (Can you hear me?)

Cómo sé que eres de verdad
How do I know that you’re real

Qué propuesta me dices
What proposal are you making

Lo que hago (¿Cúando? ¿Cómo?)
What I’m doing (When? How?)

The LED floor below them swiftly transformed from a busy road into a dance floor with pulsating colors in a rhythmic fashion. The eagle’s eye camera had Lara and the dancers waack in an x-cross pattern (they were socially distanced, for it was required by the Achaean delegation). When Lara Amanda rapped “Está lloviendo,” however, the camera switched to a wide pan of the stage and she and all the dancers immediately pulled out small grey pocket umbrellas. (Why grey, did you ask? It was the cheapest umbrella the delegation could find in a pinch.) The LED behind them also showed raindrops falling intensely on the ground, confirming the speaker’s dual negation and excuse of committing due to weather. As if weather ever stopped any encounters from happening. The stage lights as well change into a blue-white-grey hue, giving the ambience of a rainy day that invites laziness and not an encounter. It was inviting and comfortable, a dissonance to the dancers’ harshness on the floor.

Sí, yo sé que te encuentras solo
Yes, I know that you’re alone

No puedo hoy
I can’t today

Está lloviendo
It’s been raining

Lloviendo
It’s raining

Está lloviendo
It’s raining

In the left camera, Lara Amanda swiftly slid from the center and the men lined up with their umbrellas. The men on the sides had their umbrellas above their heads, and the two men on the middle had the umbrellas beside their waists. Back to the front camera, she was walking as if she were an army general inspecting the troops. This gave the performance a much more comical and irreverent vibe, a subversion of gender roles and a deconstruction of sexuality. The flag-waving crowd was cheering her on, looking imposing and fantastical with her boots and owning her fantasy.

Ya-achú, achú
Yes-achoo, achoo!

¿Cómo tú estás? Bien
How you’re doing? Fine

Espérame
Wait for me

Te busco un paño
I’ll look for a towel

Achú, achú
Achoo, achoo!

¿Cómo estás?
How you’re doing?

No puedo hoy
I can’t today

Once Lara Amanda finishes walking, she swiftly grabs one of the men’s umbrella and does a split, spreading her two legs in the air while she sings “Está lloviendo” and the men humorously react with fake-surprised and fake-undignified facial postures. In a split second, two men quickly pick her up the floor and begin spinning her around while another two men dance on the sides, treating their light umbrellas as fans to which they could dip and dance and point at Lara Amanda whenever she was ready to pick up and perform again.

Not only the spinning added flavor to the performance, it also served to rest Lara’s tired yet calloused feet as the podiatrist recommended. It wasn’t that she never practiced with ballet heels before—after all, she was already doing pointe work since she was 12 years old—rather, the strenuous dance moves would take a dangerous toll on her feet if she were not careful. There were small strains and stress points throughout her body from years of practice and overuse and all-around carelessness.

Está lloviendo

Lloviendo
It’s raining

Está lloviendo
It’s raining

The wide pan returns to the camera where the dancers briefly accommodated Lara Amanda to the top stage, standing proud and erect. She then began catwalking towards the camera in a stunning 3-D fashion, looking intently at the audience both at the arena and at home. She moved her arms in a single triangle formation (left hand over right shoulder) and alternated with her hips, left-right-left. All the while, she was hitting every beat and looking intently at the camera, as if she were challenging the audience to say something. As she grew closer to the camera, the four dancers beside her were catwalking as well, this time with their umbrellas hidden in their back pockets and the phones pulled back from God knows where they found them the last time. (They actually had two dummy spares.)

Eres anfitrión o viajero
Are you hosting or traveling?

Cómo sé que eres de verdad
How do I know that you’re real

Qué propuesta me dices
What proposal are you making

Lo que hago (¿Cúando? ¿Cómo?)
What I’m doing (When? How?)

Once again, Lara Amanda placed herself in a Cancer formation and the rest of the dancers followed her lead. This time, the dancers below her decided to make cartwheels crisscrossing each other and barely touching each other across the stage. While they awaited their turn, the other dancers swayed their hips from side to side in a feminine fashion and scrolled their (prop) phones with one hand. It was hard to embody the tried-and-true, soft-and-cunt femininity in their moves, especially when they had tight shoes and even tighter clothes.

Yes, I know that you’re alone

No puedo hoy
I can’t today

Está lloviendo
It’s been raining

Lloviendo
It’s raining

Está lloviendo
It’s raining

The music’s tone changed. Two of the dancers carried Lara Amanda’s feet and elevated her as if they were performing a cheer routine. One dancer suddenly pulled up a cardboard hammer and sickle decorated with the rainbow flag from his back pocket and bent his knees to the camera, his arms raised and facing the screen. Behind her, another man was marching beside them, the camera looking at his chiseled arms. Lara Amanda pulled a copy of a vintage Chairman Mao hat with a green camo look and a plastic red star glued to its center front. (This would ruffle some anti-Communist feathers both in Achaea and abroad for such spectacular display of neo-blasphemous Maoist communism, but as stated before, this performance was meant to be a true slap in the face to Achaea’s conservative prejudices—after all, it was supposed to be irreverent. Lara Amanda never understood nor cared about communism well enough to become a Bolshevik. But she knew rainbows and colors made it trendy. And French more so. As she poke the words in French, her voice sounded emphatic, triumphant and completely exaggerated—not unlike the tone of a North Korean news reporter.

Oui! Les frères et les sœurs de la bourgeoisie, maintenant il est necessaire que nous tirions nous-mêmes du rêve de l'indifférence. Je ne consens pas à cette confrontation, et personne ne me force ni ne fait pression sur moi pour que je m'amuse bien!

Yes! Brothers and sisters of the bourgeoisie: It’s time to wake up from the dream of indifference. I don’t consent to this encounter, and nobody forces nor pressures me to do something fun!

Lara Amanda then swerved to the lower end of the stage, carefully tiptoeing in her ballet shoes while making her swerve look effortless. Those shoes hurt so much, she thought to herself! Who was the idiot that convinced her to risk injury to her feet while wearing such high heels!? Not that she didn’t look sexy on them, mind you. Not that she didn’t at least overstretch a muscle once or twice wearing the regular plier shoes as she tiptoed her tall, skinny, and imposing frame over her bulging toes. They ached the longer she wore them and the more sher thoughts were consumed by them, in a three-minute performance—and she performed six hours straight in a charity ballet fundraising marathon when she was a teenager, what have you. And yet, she winced through the pain, taking the over-the-top sultriness of her movements in stride, making the actions around her look sensible and effortless.

The dancers behind her kept their movements. Unlike other moments where they would carry and spin her around, this time involved smaller tip-toe-like movements to the left-right-left of the stage. The LED floor around them swifted into a pulsating dance-floor pattern, and the beaming lights surrounding transformed the stage into a vivacious disco ball. It was a vivacious, queer moment laden with the dubious negation of a sexual encounter.

No me quiero mojar (lloviendo)
I don’t want to get wet (it’s raining)

Me puedo enfermar (lloviendo)
I could get very sick (It’s raining)

Ahora es muy tarde ya (lloviendo)
It’s too late to leave now (It’s raining)

No puedo hoy
I can’t today

Está lloviendo
It's raining

¡Lloviendo!
It’s raining

¡Está lloviendo!
It’s raining

¡Lloviendo!
It’s raining

¡Está lloviendo!
It’s raining

Lara Amanda and the all the dancers performed a dip and slip—or in layman’s terms, a death drop—at the final beat. The Milano crowed cheered for the Achaeans, even though the song was all but over. For those finely tuned with the Achaean memetic imagery, the next final seconds were a treat.

The camera slowly moved towards the front ledge, where a young cameraman with a big microphone, a boom microphone stand on the side, aimlessly whitling to the beat of the music. He also had a peculiar T-shirt with the same interface as shown before in the LED screens, only this time with few messages in light blue and orange boxes. There was something uniquely perplexing about his presence—as his face was somewhat familiar to many before. Suddenly, the camera went above his head and a thud was faintly heard to viewers at home, as if he fell.

If you paid attention, you would know this was Jose the Floor Manager, the television producer-cum-adult movie star that became a quarantine sensation in both Achaea and the ABEN, and subject to a very controversial and karmically memetic deportation from Britonisea after national quarantines in both countries led to the “influencer”’s paperwork having arrived late in Britonisea. That said, his cameo was very unexpected and somewhat planned at the very last minute by the Achaean delegation. Not even the audience at home expected that the very dead meme would be revived in such a crude way—no less consider how the Multiverse would perceive it! Nevertheless, the Achaeans laughed and were very busy making memes to annoy their friends and family on WhatsApp.

The performance ended, and the camera portrayed a sea of flags, with the camera highlighting the one or two Achaean banners in the audience. With the help of her performers, Lara Amanda stood up and wave at the crowd. “Thank you! Thank you so much!”, she said as the performers beside her also waved their hands. Before she left the stage, however, she accidentally tripped on her very exhausting ballet heels—but lo and behold, like a true ballerina, she managed to plier her way out of the stage with grace.
Last edited by Achaean Republic on Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Pemecutan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

22|PEMECUTAN|MITHA KEMALA - MAIN HATI

Postby Pemecutan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:57 pm

22 || PEMECUTAN
Mitha Kemala - "Main Hati"
Music: Made Bayu Diarsa, Komang Arya Trisnawan
Lyric: Mitha Kemala, Dian Agung Permana
Tune - Ben Cocks - So Cold

For this edition of WorldVision Song Contest, Pemecutan Recording Industry Association (PRIA) once again collaborated with UBC (Ubung Broadcasting Company) to conduct an online survey. This survey is held to select a representative of Pemecutan in 84th WorldVision Song Contest which will be held in Milano, Besen. The survey is similar with previous survey to determine Pemecutan representative at World Hits Festival. And after two weeks of voting and around 10 entry songs, it is revealed that the winner is Mitha Kemala with her song Main Hati.

Mitha Kemala was born in Tangeb, a small town in Kanginan State, an island state that located to the east of Pemecutan main island. The 30 years old singer is already engage in music industry from a very young age. She recorded her first album at the age of 9 which entitled Masa Kecilku. The album gain two awards from Chakra Music Award as Best Children Album and Best Children Vocal Performance for the song, Masa Kecilku. She was also being nominated as Best New Artist in which she was lost. Throughout her music career, she have been released 7 albums with the recent one, Diary of a Broken Heart, which was released in 2017. Currently, she is busy in preparing her next album before she is selected as the representative of Pemecutan in the 84th WorldVision Song Contest.

The song Main Hati is one of the song she recorded in her last album, Diary of a Broken Heart. It is told a story of a person who always failed in their love life until they believe that they are destine to live a lonely life. The song is composed by Made Bayu Diarsa in collaboration with Komang Arya Trisnawan. While Mitha Kemala wrote the lyrics with the help of reknown songwriter, Dian Agung Permana.

For her performance, she is wearing a pale white short dress with embroidery details. She choose the dress to show another side of her tomboyish style.

A modest cheering and clapping sound can hear throughout the venue after the MC called out for Pemecutan entry. There are not much of Pemecutanian which can watch the contest directly at Besen. The budget to come to the beautiful country is quite a lot. And the fact that flights from Pemecutan have to make one transit before reaching the host country is making the traveling budget spur. Nonetheless, Pemecutan organizer for the contest is able to gives free tickets and accommodations for some music fans to come directly and watch the contest in live. While back at home, the contest is broadcast live by UBC, Pemecutan media partner of the contest.

Mitha come to the stage where a grand piano is standing right at the center. She makes a bowing gesture before take her seat. She begin playing the piano softly for the song intro before her voice sing the lyrics melodiously. The first verse of the song is only accompanied by a solo piano. The lights on the stage are put on a minimal. Only a single backlight that shine through the rear side of Mitha and her piano which gives a glowing aura.

Oh, Tak kan terjadi
Oh, It won't happen

Tuk kesekian kali
For the umpteenth time

Di saat cinta ini bersemi
When this love blossomed

Dan kau berpaling
And you turned away

Kepada yang lain
To the others

Dan kusadari
And I realized

Kau main hati
You are playing games

Hu...u...u...u...
Hhmm......
Hu...u...u...u...
Hhmm......

Through the humming, a drum voice started to accompanied Mitha's piano voice. The combination gives a chilling vibes throughout the hall. A clapping sound from the back singers added the minimalist music in the second verse. This music composition gives a clear sound of Mitha's voice when she sing each of the words of the lyrics. Her controlled voice are heard as a stabbing sound that can reached straight to your heart.

Oh, Rayuan yang manis
Oh, A sweet seduction

Sikapmu yang romantis
Your romantic attitudes

Tak lebih dari sebuah ilusi
Nothing more than an illusion

Dan ku terjebak
And I am stuck

Dalam sebuah angan
In a dream

Bahwa kau berbeda
That you are different

Dari yang lain
From the others

Hu...u...u...u...
Hhmm......
Hu...u...u...u...
Hhmm......

The composition of piano and drum continued into the chorus which accompanied by clapping sounds from the back singers. The simple composition gives a soothing vibes which move the audience. The lights is keep in minimum to give an intimate atmosphere.

Hilang sudah segala
Everything is gone

Apa yang terbina
What is built up

Tak ada yang tersisa
There is nothing left

Mungkin ini suratan
Maybe this is fate

Garis kehidupan
A life line

Sendiri tanpa cinta
Alone without love

Through the second humming, orchestrated music accompanied the song with a dominant in violin. The lights are enlighten, flooded the central stage with bright light that dancing away following the flowing of the music. Mitha sings her heart out. The light gets brighter as the music getting more vibrant. The violin become more dominant accompanying Mitha's piano voice with the drum gives a background cover.

Oh...wo o...oh...
Oh...wo o...oh...
Hey...ye e...yeah...yeah...yeah...yeah...yeah...
Oh...wo o...oh...
Oh...wo o...oh...
Oh...wo o...oh...
Oh...wo o...oh...
Oh...wo o...oh...
Oh...wo o...oh...

The music composition are keep between piano, drum and orchestra. The clapping sound evaded. The lights changes it's color constantly as the song become more powerful and stringent. Until it comes to the end.

Hilang sudah segala
Everything is gone

(Oh...wo o...oh...)
Apa yang terbina
What is built up

(Oh...wo o...oh...)
Tak ada yang tersisa
There is nothing left

(Hey...ye e...yeah...yeah...yeah...yeah...yeah...)

Mungkin ini suratan
Maybe this is fate

(Oh...wo o...oh...)
Garis kehidupan
A life line

(Oh...wo o...oh...)
Sendiri tanpa cinta
Alone without love

(Hey...ye e...yeah...yeah...yeah...yeah...yeah...)

The last verse, the music suddenly stop. Only the piano is heard. The clapping also gone. The atmosphere become dark as the lights goes off. Only a single head light that shine upon Mitha and her piano that still shine through which gives an intimate atmosphere and a focus only on the singer. Until suddenly everything goes off at the end of the song. The darkness succumbed the stage and the hall.

Oh, Tak kan terjadi
Oh, It won't happen

Tuk kesekian kali
For the umpteenth time

Di saat cinta ini bersemi
When this love blossomed

Dan kau berpaling
And you turned away

Kepada yang lain
To the others

Dan kusadari
And I realized

Kau main hati
You are playing games

The audience clapping with some of them gives a standing ovation for the performance. The stage is illuminate again and there is Mitha standing in front of her piano. She bowed to the audience for their great acceptance for her performance. And the MC take away the show.
Last edited by Pemecutan on Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
United Kingdom of Pemecutan
Pemecutan Realm
Trigram: PCU | Demonym: Pemecutanian
Capital: Pemecutan Puri
Population: 23,027,733 (latest census)

Homepage | Wikipage

Britonisea
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

23 | Britonisea | Meghan Jorgensen - Glow

Postby Britonisea » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:08 pm

#23 BRITONISEA
Meghan Jorgensen - "Glow"
Tune : Foxes - "Let Go For Tonight"
Music: Michael John, Edna Parish, Becky Grace-Mason Lyrics: Meghan Jorgensen

Meghan Jorgensen is set to represent Britonisea at the 84th WorldVision Song Contest with her song, "Glow". Meghan hopes to repeat her success at the World Hit Festival, giving Britonisea it's 7th victory...

Last edition was a very interesting one for Britonisea. After having hosted and won the 81st WorldVision Song Contest with nothing but goodness coming from that, the broadcaster has been trying to continue Britonisea's trend at the contest. With the enormous amount of pressure and expectation that Britonisea receives, not just domestically but also from those watching from different countries, as the editions went on, it was becoming harder for Britonisea to be on top form like it was back in the 60s. A turbulent 70s decade also meant that Britonisea had to quickly find its feet again as we reach the 80s decade. With Britonisea already scoring 8th, 1st and 3rd between WorldVision Song Contest 80 and 82, BITC wanted to continue doing just as well but were at an odds and were running out of time rapidly. While they have received CDs of those who want to represent the country, they thought that it would be best going for a Vha Mehlodhivestoile 2020 act as the staging is basically already done and all they needed to do was transfer it to the Llaltese stage for the 83rd WorldVision Song Contest. With the thought that Britonisea hasn't finished outside of the top 10 since Christien Johar's WorldVision Song Contest 53 entry in Normandy & Picardy (19 Britonish entries were sent between 54 and 82). While BITC hoped that this would be the 20th consecutive entry inside the top 10, after the Jury votes, Britonisea was 11th which while it was a good result - especially against 40 other participants (for some reason everyone wanted to check out Llalta) - it didn't reach the benchmark set by BITC bosses. They were hoping that the new Televote was going to propel the nation into the top 10. Britonisea had to wait ages to be called out as it was revealed that Britonisea came 6th in the Televote, three placements lower than last edition but it was good enough to secure Britonisea a 10th place - another close call for BITC after their 76th WorldVision Song Contest result.

Now, Britonisea is sending Meghan Jorgensen who is known in the World Hit Festival circles. It's not common for World Hit Festival artists to head to the WorldVision Song Contest People were surprised when it was announced Meghan Jorgensen would be the one who would represent Britonisea because of her result at the World Hit Festival. Singing her song "Waiting For You, Meghan Jorgensen won the World Hit Festival with a total of 51 points - the highest total to date under the Festival's current format. The most notable times where ABEN acts went from World Hit Festival to WorldVision is Rigas Jengiz (who won WHF26 and then went onto come 2nd at WV51) and Matinee from Nightom (who came fourth at WHF and then 1st at WV55). With a good track record amongst ABEN nations in this situation, can Meghan "Glow" in Milano?

Duration: 03:58
Main Vocalist: Meghan Jorgensen
Female Vocalist 1: Perri-Anne Drews
Female Vocalist 2: Tamta Love
Male 1 Teaparty Guest: Jake Johansen
Male 2 Teaparty Guest: Phillip Thomas-Jenkins
Female 1 Teaparty Guest: Jainna Smith

It was time for Meghan Jorgensen to set foot back onto the international stage, a moment that she had been waiting for, for quite some time now. Meghan was one of the few people that had the chance to represent her country at both World Hit Festival and the WorldVision Song Contest and so this was something she took very seriously. She wanted this performance to be fun and reminiscent of her WHF50 song, to be uplifting and hopefully memorable enough to win the WorldVision Song Contest. She knew that the scoring system was different here and so every little counts. As the Britonish postcard finished, Meghan was cheered on by a packed audience in Besen. There were few members from Britonisea in the audience, but most Besenians already support Britonisea and so for Meghan, she certainly felt as though she was home. The legendary claps of the music came on with a forest theme being shown on the stage. There were shots around the stage of this theme with the lighting being in a deep green, slowly getting lighter as the music progressed. After a while, Meghan appeared from behind one of the trees wearing a pretty yellow dress with glitter and all sorts over it. She started to sing;

I'm never right, I'm always wrong
I can't win with you, get me out of this prison cell.
Perhaps I should run...loin d'ici,
So you forget about me.
Jump out of this cycle of decline...

She started to walk behind the prop tree (well there were quite a few of them on the stage), but she moved to the middle where she leant against another tree as she finished the verse. As she sang the words "cycle of decline" there was an aerial shot which spun in one direction. The lights slightly brightened up as we moved on to the next section of the song, with a lighter green - almost blue - appeared. She began to walk closer and closer to the front of the stage, singing into the camera, full of glee and delight - a bit more theatrical than her World Hit Festival performance. She continued to sing...

I'll be back someday, I'll be new and improved,
Make you green with jealousy and full of regret.
You'll realise - it was you who - stopped me from soaring!

Meghan Jorgensen shouted the line "Just watch me go!" with a camera rapidly moving outwards from its initial position right in front of her. In the arena, the lights quickly changed to a hue of pink - not too saccharine or bubblegum, but the perfect shade for the performance - a colour to suit all walks of life. As the camera moved outwards to show the stage and audience in full, you could see that above the forest backdrop on the backing screen, a huge rainbow appeared as wide as the screens. The audience cheered as it filled the arena with magnificent radiant colours as the strong drumbeat of the chorus filled the ears of those watching in the arena with vigour. Meghan confidently paced towards the edge of the stage, swaying from side to side and singing out to the front of the stage. As you could hear the strings rise in dynamics before we snapped to the latter end of the chorus (01:07 - before "watch me glow, watch me glow"), there was a low angle shot of Meghan, with the shot quickly zooming into a close-up of her face in true Melodifestivalen fashion - making the performance seem fast-paced and dramatic.

(Just watch me go!)
Someday when I return here,
I'll be a star, I'll shine so strong
(Just watch me go!)
To you, I'll be untouchable,
Watch me from afar...
Gather 'round - watch me glow, watch me glow
Watch me grow, watch me grow
(Just watch me go!)
You'll be so astounded, baby
Shocked at my glow up!

After the aforementioned quick zoom into her face, Meghan lifted her free arm into the air as she absolutely belted out "watch me glow, watch me glow" into the audience, capturing the attention of the thousands watching. Meghan's voice slightly went hoarse as she pushed her vocal cords to its utter limits, but somehow it still managed to fit the song well. The backing singers came in with full force as they filled in the section where Meghan didn't sing when leading out the chorus. Meghan said that she wanted some singing of some sort to be there, even if it wasn't her, just to give herself time to breath and go into the verse, but also so that the audience still is interested in what is happening on the stage. With that 2 second vocal break, Meghan took a deep breath in, before taking a panoramic view of the thousands in front of her, taking in the fact that she was performing here in Besen at the WorldVision Song Contest. A rush of adrenaline pushed her to finish the chorus with the same amount of energy she had at the start of the chorus, as she slightly moved her neck forward into a creeping position with a camera zooming in on her at this point.

At the end of the chorus, Meghan twirled around with the camera shot starting to fade away. You could see the sparkles which she had on glisten on the lens creating a beautiful bokeh effect before the shot faded to black. The next verse wasn't to be a long one, and before you know it Meghan had started to sing once again but the camera wasn't focused on her. Along with the first sound of the high pitched (maybe xylophone) sound, a man dressed in a similar fairytale outfit - with him wearing a hat. As he peaked through from behind one of the pop trees, there was a dutch tilt, with the cameras slightly tilting to the left which may have added to the audience's curiosity of this new character bought onto the stage.

I know you'll try,
I know you'll try to get me back and
I admit I might be tempted...
But for years and years, you pushed me down and now
I have had enough, it's time to put myself first.
So it's a no, good heavens, no
It's time to soar high!

At the start of the verse above, the pink that was there, including the rainbow faded away as the scenery turned into a swampy green. People continued to watch the story unfolding on the stage, with the man in a hat making his way to a table that was set up in the middle of the stage whilst the cameras were focused on him behind a tree. Meghan was sitting down at this table with there being props on the table - a tea set. As she sang through the words, "I know you'll try to get me back", Meghan helped herself to some of the tea that was on the table, pouring delicately but trying to keep frequent eye contact with the audience watching her. She moved the mug to her face after she sang "I might be tempted...", before her cutesy facial expression changed into one of determination. She placed the mug down back on the table and as she continued singing the rest of the verse, she stood up from the table with other people surrounding her on the table - namely the ones from the madhatter's tea party - a theme that was taken for this performance with the team at BITC wanting to portray Meghan as a pop princess, which in Britonisea she is described to be. As the backing singers came in with "(Just watch me go!)", Meghan swiped the treats there were on the table with the camera using a slow motion effect, similar to the end of Loreen's performance at the Eurovision Song Contest.

There was another shot, the obligatory steadicam used in ABEN performances which cut from the slow motion shot we saw a few seconds earlier. As the lights once against brightened in the arena, the steadicam came from behind Meghan, who stood strongly on the tea party table. The steadicam man came around her, with Meghan following the lens with her eyes, smiling and pointing as she sang "I'll be a star, I'll shine so strong" before the steadicam swiftly makes its way off the stage. Meanwhile the characters that were beneath here were doing a series of movements which also fit in with the lyrics and the movements that Meghan was doing - but most of their movements wasn't caught on the cameras.

(Just watch me go!)
(Just watch me go!)
Watch me from afar...
(Just watch me go!)
Shocked at my glow up!

As we moved into the bridge section, the stage slightly turned red with a dark blue (or purple depending on who you ask), with the backing screens looking rather macabre. The cameras were doing some of the effect to make it appear more dramatic, which of course the audience wouldn't have been able to get unless they were watching the many screens around the arena. With the cameras bobbing from one side to another and switching from one to another, Meghan and those who were on the stage slightly jiggled from left to right to make it seem as though they were going through and earthquake.

Just watch me...
Watch me glow, watch me glow
Just watch me...
Just watch me go...go...go!

Thought I needed you,
[though] I've come to realise.
I know that I am better off without you, dear
So let me glow, just watch me go
This will be our last time in one place together!
Just watch me go!

After shaking and trying to sing for quite some time, Meghan eventually fell to her feet on the table with the cameras fading to black once again. Meanwhile the smoke machines were being turned on so that by the time the cameras faded back in, Meghan was laying on table surrounded by smoke which was billowing from beneath her. Using an aerial shot from directly above the stage, Meghan looked up into it with the camera slowly moving back (or up since we're looking down from a bird's eye view). She didn't have an obvious expression on her face, rather just signing into the camera, speaking words which came to her mind. As she reached the end of the bridge section, she lifted herself upwards onto her knees before facing the audience. With the piano solo section here, Meghan dusted herself off as the stage went darker with all you could see being Meghan writing something in the air. The camera slowly beckoned closer and closer over her shoulder, as she wrote the words GLOW out into the air. On the backing screens, you could see the GLOW which she scribed in the air with Meghan turning around as the word GLOW appeared with maximum opacity.

As the backing singer shouted "(Just watch me go!)", Meghan quickly turned around with the camera meeting her with a close up of her face in a quicker pace to how it was moving towards her before. The large GLOW burst into fireworks behind her as the forest theme came back but this time at sunset. The fireworks on the display behind her was also matched in real life with pyrotechnics shot into the air as though BITC had no maximum spent for this WorldVision performance. The members of the tea-party which she was joined by earlier came back into the shot, joining her on the table and dancing, flanking Meghan off to the left and the right. As she did this, very light water droplets fell on those on the table - the kind that you could easily clear up for the next act. It created a wonderful effect on the stage, with water droplets showing on the cameras and Meghan's hair visibly getting wet as she moved from side to side.

(Just watch me go!)
(Just watch me go!)
Watch me from afar...
(Just watch me go!)
Shocked at my glow up!

It was then time for another bridge section which was unusual for a Britonish entry but this was how the song was written. There were shots from further away during this section, with a spotlight on Meghan appearing more enhanced and by the time it was the end of the performance, it looked as though she was the only one on the stage. As she sang the final section of the song, there was a camera shot similar to the first one that focused on her with her in a spotlight and slightly soaked in the water droplets that fell above her.

Just watch me...

I'm never right, I'm always wrong
I can't win with you,
But just know I will win someday...

The audience applauded at the end of the song as the cameras faded to black. There was a shot of a few people in the audience holding the Britonish flag before Meghan shouted "Thank you all!" into the microphone. That was it, Britonisea performed there WorldVision 84 song...
Last edited by Britonisea on Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:15 am, edited 7 times in total.

Antahbrantahstan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 29, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Antahbrantahstan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:35 pm

24. ANTAHBRANTAHSTAN | إانتهبرنتهستن

Haidar Ribeiro - Candlelight
Tune: Aldrey - Mírate

m: Gert Eenpalu
l: Haidar Ribeiro

A wonderful, 18s-early 20s singer-songwriter selected as the Anturian representative in spite of a pandemic, the young heartthrob seeks to make Antahbrantahstan proud again after KRESNADEWI's win. Composed by famed ethnic Estonian composer Gert Eenpalu and lyrics written by Haidar himself, the song itself is written from a perspective of a candle in someone's home, who has witnessed the abuse and suffering that their owner has endured, and thus, seeks to help the owner by revealing his magical properties and allowing the owner to have solace by meeting someone they loved, through the means of lighting the candle up, which is reflected in the title.

Haidar himself feels a bit of pressure while representing, especially since Antahbrantahstan won last edition, though, for him what matters most is letting his story be known to the world, as he feels that every song in this world tells a certain kind of story, and thus it is his duty as a singer to become some kind of storyteller and share his stories with the world, though he also feels that it is okay to make a fun song once in a while since it lets people relax from all the seriousness happening throughout the multiverse.

As lush, piano notes signal the beginning of the song. The cameras, alongside the audience, would see an image of some body of water, with a single lotus flower nesting in the center, without, a finger appears from the right and touches the water, creating a ripple, soon after, the camera would slowly shift angles and zoom out at a comfortable distance, revealing that it is Haidar, wearing a simple, opened black suit and trousers, who rests his head nearby the edge of a black-colored stone water pool, hands now fully dipped in the water.

Soon after, he starts singing, letting his silky soft voice hug the audience, acting like a prelude to the sadness that he experienced throughout his life, right after, his arms reached to grab the lotus, raising his arms above the pool and examining the innocent flower from the tip to the bottom, and afterwards, drops the flower back to the pool, and as if awakened with deep thought, he then lifts his body up from his rest and sits in the corner of the pool, with the camera swiftly switching angles, capturing the side profile of Haidar, who seemingly laments about the things that he endured. While all of this is happening, a single spotlight serves as the only source of lighting for Haidar, putting his vocals in the limelight instead of a cacophony of dizzying images.

Pecahan kaca di lantai
Terpencar kar'na amarah
Mereka tidak bersalah
Serpihan yang kau lewati
Menambah beban hatimu
Ku ingin membantumu
Broken glasses sat on the floor
Scattered, because of anger
They don't do anything wrong
The piece of glass that you pass by
Now makes your heart feel heavier
I just want to help you

Haidar then stood up, and starts to walk slowly towards the middle part of the stage, wherein we can see that there is a microphone stand waiting for him to use, without further ado, he manages to be in position in time before the chorus starts, letting the audience hear the taste of his powerful vocals before showing off his full singing capacity in the next part of the song.

Air mata yang t'lah kau teteskan
Meski tak terlihat, kurasakan
Mendekat dan dengarkan saja
All the tears that you have wept
Even if it's not seen, i can feel it
Come to me, and hear my own voice

Soon, the camera switches to a wider angle, showing the LED screen and the stage in their full glory, now lit up with soft shade of white, although not bright enough to suffocate Haidar’s voice. Haidar seems to be unconcerned with the things happening around him, letting the dim, pure white colored spotlights complement the sad, almost painful emotion in his singing, complemented with a variety of camera angles that shows Haidar’s emotional pain, resulting in some kind of mélange that can be felt by the audience across the multiverse, sharing his pain in loneliness, even if they don’t experience any such feeling before.

Light it up, light it up, light it up
Light it up, light it up
Sedetik kau kan melihatnya
Sejengkal mendekat dengannya

For one second, you'll get the chance to see them
A single footstep closer to them

After a short wordless vocalization, Haidar now projects an extra degree of pain in his singing, letting his husky voice project with clarity through the audience, his tones seemingly sympathizing with the unmentioned subject in his song, while all of this is happening, the lights begin to slowly transition to a more fiery orange color, albeit still dim, in order to let Haidar's emotion take the spolight.

Dibalik pintu kudengar
Segala resah kau lempar
Menangis dalam sunyi
Air mata yang t'lah kau teteskan
Meski tak terlihat, kurasakan
Mendekat dan dengarkan saja
Behind the doors, i listened
To all the angers that you've thrown out
And now you're crying in silence
All the tears that you have wept
Even if it's not seen, i can feel it
Come to me, and hear my own voice

Soon after, the camera shows the LED again, finally showing an image of candles being lit up, letting the stage get their chance to finally play a part in telling Haidar's story, while the camera is shooting Haidar, we can see that his black shirt that he worn before is gone, revealing a sleeveless t-shirt that he's wearing now (like the picture i provided), as the audience seemingly expects the chorus to happen as normal, unseen candles suddenly lights up in the stage floor, revealing that behind him there are many candles arranged in such a way to form pathways (like those airplane emergency floor lights), stretching up to the back, near the LED screen, as Haidar is facing the audience, however, he doesn't seem to notice.

Light it up, light it up, light it up
Light it up, light it up
Dekatlah dan peluk dia

Come near them and give them a hug

Afterwards, sensing something, Haidar noticed that there is a pathway formed by candles behind him, and, grabbing the microphone, walks towards the back slowly, at the same time still keeping his composure and powerful voice while singing the bridge, setting the stage for the conclusion of the story.

Jangan ragu 'tuk mendekat
Kesempatan ini hanya satu
Bukankah semua di dunia
Tidak berguna tanpa dirinya
Don't be shy, and come closer
You only get one chance in this lifetime
Isn't everything in this world
Becomes useless without their presence

As Haidar finally reaches the end of the pathway, the camera finally reveals an elderly woman in the end, presumably symbolizing Haidar's grandma, without further ado, Haidar then hugs her, letting his pain come through his voice, with a beautiful, choir-like singings from the backing singers echoing throughout the final verse. Haidar rejoices with the presence of his "grandma", letting his happiness came through with husky, wordless vocalizations and echoes of "no-no-nos", crafting a near-perfect ending for Haidar's storytelling, with all of this being complemented by the stage being lit up in warm shades of oranges and brown that gives the audience a taste of a springtime afternoon.

(Light it up, light it up, light it up)
(Light it up, light it up)
Sejengkal mendekat dengannya

A single footstep closer to them

Light it up
Light it up
Ooooo... Oh....
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh
Na na na
Light up the candle, and make a wish
Light up the candle
Light it up

The audience then gives them a standing ovation, and, with utter respect and happiness, Haidar and the "grandma" bowed, with Haidar shouting to the microphone, "Thank You, Besen! We Love You!" and immediately, they went backstage, with Haidar accompanying the grandma that have helped him put a wonderful performance.
Last edited by Antahbrantahstan on Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Harashta Haifa Zahra | TBA | Sophie Kirana | Ketut Permata Juliastrid Sari | Melati Tedja | TBA

Elejamie
Senator

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:25 am

25- Elejamie

Dave Owens - In The End
Music and lyrics: David Owens

Tune: Tatsuro Yamashita - Ride on Time

A promotional shot of Dave Owens, taken from his website.

David Michael Laurence Owens was born in Auckhampton, BIST, on 19th January, 1983. Unlike most kids his age, he had no real idea what he wanted to be when he was older. At first, he wanted to become a soccer player, even though he didn’t show any stand-out talent. Aspirations of becoming a boxer started to show up when he became a teenager and, indeed, he actually showed a lot of promise to the point where it was believed that he would be the next best thing. When he turned 18, he decided against going to university and instead concentrated on becoming a pro boxer. While he did start off rough as an amateur, he’d soon get into the swing of things and, by the start of 1994, he eventually turned pro as a featherweight boxer. He’d rise up the ranks and, by mid 1996, he would be promoted to super featherweight. Unfortunately, he was only able to participate in one fight in that class (a win by knockout in the 6th round) as, in December that year, he was hit by a car while coming home from a party. While he would make a swift recovery, although he’d find it hard to lift his arms above his shoulders for years afterwards, he would ultimately retire from the sport at the age of 24 with a 5-2-0 (1) record.

However, boxing wouldn’t be his only pastime as he also dabbled into the world of music. As a teenager, he was often a part of his church’s choir, a position he’d hold even after he renounced religion at the age of 15. He also learnt the guitar during that time and, famously, in a promo he cut for a fight in July 1995, he brought one out and improvised a song making fun of his rival for that match. And, following the accident, he would take up the piano to help him pass the time. Eventually, still wanting to have some time in the spotlight to make up for his original career being cut short, along with the fact that he might as well put all of these skills to good use, he decided that he would take up a career in music and, by June 1997, he would finish and release his debut album, simply titled “David Owens Plays”. It would simply be a lo-fi indie affair, completely different to his later albums, where it was just him singing, playing piano and an acoustic guitar and sparse, sampled drum beats.

That first album was a bit of a slow-burner at first, not making much movement in the charts, not getting a lot of love from the critics and largely being written off as a vanity project. However, it did receive a fair amount of airplay and, while he didn’t go on tour, it was still enough for him to land a three-album deal with a proper label. He would then start going by the name “Dave Owens” to put his boxing career past him and eventually got to work on his next album, which was confusingly titled “First Album”, presumably because he didn’t want his actual first album to be canon in any way, shape or form. There, he’d not only start working with session musicians (although he’d still play piano and guitar while singing) but he’d also change his style and go for more of a 70s/80s based sound. Feeling a lot more comfortable and confident with this new sound, First Album would be released in May 1998 to positive reviews and a moderately successful tour. A third album, Ten Count, was released in January 2001 and also received a lot of love from both critics and the public, along with another successful tour.

However, the good times weren’t to last. In February 2003, three weeks after his 30th birthday, he and his first wife divorced. As a result, he spiralled into a deep depression and scrapped what was to be his third album, though fortunately it was saved from being totally lost by friends and the label also owning copies of the songs. While he would finally become sociable again the following month, the resulting album would also be a lot angrier and less upbeat than the two before it. The resulting album, Unflourished, would be released in August that year. It received mixed reviews and the resulting tour wasn’t as long as the previous two ones, but he would still look back positively on it and considers it to be one of his best due to how cathartic the making of it was.

Fortunately, the next couple of years would be a lot more positive for Dave. A new girlfriend, a contract extension for another two albums and Unflourished finally going platinum like the two albums before it will probably do that to you. Fuelled by this upswing, he then got to work on his next album It’s Nice To Be In Love Again, so called because that’s the first song on the album. Released in 2006, it was considered to be a return of form for him and, not only did he go on tour again but he would also go on to perform outside of his home nation for the first time. Another song of his that nearly made it onto the album but was left off the standard edition, a duet with WV37 entrant Sataeveni Jamuri (1978-2020) called “Takes Two”, would also go on to reach #1, making it the first time he topped the charts. His two follow-up albums, Noir (2009) and Cielo (2013), were also quite popular despite deviating from the formula a bit; the former being more jazzy (with a guest feature from Lisa Park of Her Gang fame) whereas the latter was more soul and R&B inspired. After touring for Cielo, he announced that he’d be taking a break from music to concentrate on his family, though he eventually returned to the studio to make Ageless, a more rocky-inspired album that was eventually released in 2018. He’s currently working on his ninth album; though both a name and a release date are currently unknown, he has also announced that it would not only act as a sequel to Ageless but also In The End, his WV84 entry, will also be on the album.

Time for some more unrelated facts, if only because I need to pad this out a bit more to try and get some of that sweet, sweet RP bonus. He’s a co-founder of the Black Atheist Society of Elejamie (or BASE), though he doesn’t have any official position within the organisation. He is primarily of African-American ancestry, although he does have Welsh and French heritage. He’s a fan of the Auckhampton Birch Trees rugby union side and, not only does he have a tattoo of the team’s crest tattooed onto his chest but he even went as far as making a song for them in honour of their 70th birthday in 2013. And his older brother Marcus is currently an alderman for the Auckhampton City Council, a role he’s been serving for the past 25 years.

The last contest in St. Christopher, Llalta saw the country represented by Jon Navarez, who was internally selected by ETV but had his song decided by an online poll on their website. The winner, simply due to everyone being so split between the other two songs that this one received the equivalent of two points from a lot of countries (but still had a few nations where it was a favourite and a couple where it was a least favourite), was 2AM. With guest vocals from Mason, who had previously participated in the contest when Nekoni hosted the 80th edition, but also Harumi Nakajima Hibino-Sáenz (more commonly known by her solo project Lake Mizumi), it was a synthwave throwback although, unlike Elejamie’s last synthwave offering it was more downbeat. However, although it received a decent amount of praise from the critics there were a number of concerns with the song, primarily the robotic vocals done by Navarez himself through a voice changer. Some more prohibitionist nations also brought up an issue with the choreography itself, pointing out the possible use of alcohol, though fortunately both the floor manager and the artists themselves were quick to confirm that the bottles used in the performance were both actually filled with water. Regardless, it received a warm enough response from the audience and there were hopes that the song would restart the top ten streak.

However, the juries thought that the song itself was a mixed bag. While it was fortunate enough to receive three sets of twelve points courtesy of Antahbrantahstan (who would go on to win the contest), Missus X and Talvezout, it would also face lengthy stretches of time where it wouldn’t receive a single point. In the end, it was able to get 89 points, enough to put them into 10th place. The voting public, on the other hand, wasn’t as kind as the trio ended up ranking 25th with them, only receiving 59 points. This wasn’t a complete disaster, though, as overall they finished 12th with 148 points but it still came as a bit of a shock to not only everyone involved but also a good percentage of the audience.

Regardless, ETV announced shortly after the competition had come to a close that ElejamieVision, the short-lived national final that selected entrants for WVs 36 and 37 before being discontinued, would be brought back to help decide the country’s entrant/s following the end of their internal selection period and their short-lived online polls. Hosted at the Berryman Hotel and Resort, located just outside of Crown Manor, WRWK, the actual final itself would consist of the top five songs according to a panel of music professionals after they whittled it down to that number after listening to a bunch of submissions. Not just that but they also announced that international juries would be allowed to vote in the contest, where they had to give each song a 5-1 score depending on how much they liked it. While there wouldn’t be any domestic juries to represent each tract, there would however be a televote where the number of votes each song would be sorted out to fit the 5-1 score as well. While the winner would represent the nation at the contest, they also announced that second place would represent the country at the competition after, given that the nation does not participate in the World Hit Festival which is normally a common fate for runners-up. They kept quiet on what prize, if any, third place would get but they did announce that fourth and fifth would just be eliminated as you’d expect. For the inaugural edition, the juries and voting public were left with five songs to sort through: Lisa Park and her Gang - Love in the Afternoon; Antonia - Love Hotel; Paige Brennan - Coffee and Cake; Dave Owens - In The End; and Lucía Beltrán - Wish.

However, although the coronavirus pandemic was starting to dissipate in Elejamie, with longer stretches of no new cases (and, even when there are any, they firmly remained in the single digits) and more recoveries than deaths meaning that there’s now only 7,539 recoveries and 434 deaths overall out of 9,267 total cases as of the day the contest aired, ETV didn’t want to risk things. For a start, all the acts, crew working on the show and hotel staff had to be placed in a hypothetical bubble over at the Berryman Hotel and Resort, unable to leave it barring major emergencies of which there were fortunately zero. Acts who had already performed or had yet to perform would have to back up acts that were on stage, such as Lisa Park playing saxophone on In The End and Wish; Dave himself playing piano on Wish (given that original Gang pianist Charlie Modesti was otherwise unavailable to perform), as well as doing backing vocals for Love Hotel (where he also performed the harmonica solo at the end); and Lisa Park’s Gang being the backing band of all the entries in one way or another. And, finally, the only audience able to attend were family members of each of the acts, up to five of their friends and esteemed TV people, all of whom had to be tested for COVID before they were allowed to enter and even then everyone had to distance themselves by one or two seats.

Regardless, the show was still a massive hit and, after a tough vote which saw the lead change multiple times, not just with the international juries but also the voting public at home, a winner was eventually decided. The lucky victor? None other than Dave Owens, whose song In The End was a smash hit with the international juries and domestic televoters. For a start, it received 39 points from the international juries, including five sets of five points (out of a maximum ten juries) and only two nations gave it anything lower than three points. It also received a bit of love domestically, receiving the maximum five points from seven tracts and the minimum one point from two (out of a total of twenty tracts), resulting in another first place finish and a total of 70 points. Wish, meanwhile, finished in second and will be the entry for the 85th WorldVision Song Contest; third-placed Love In The Afternoon will be entered into a special “third-placers” edition of ElejamieVision; and both Love Hotel and Coffee and Cake have been eliminated entirely so no need to further comment about them.

When asked about the song, Dave Owens said “Originally, it was inspired by my second divorce at the start of the year. I recorded a rough draft of this original song after I had a few beers and a shot of vodka and it was darker, more bitter. After I sobered up, I listened back to it and I didn’t exactly like what I heard, it didn’t sound like me at all, it just sounded horrible. But I liked the tune itself so I reworked it, got a couple of friends to record their bits and retooled it into a song about a person realising that everything and everyone will change. It’s not a bad thing, which is why the song’s quite upbeat, but it’ll only be good if you’re able to roll with everything and make it good. There was a line in there that was from the original draft but I liked it too much to replace it and I couldn’t find anything better to replace it with even if I didn’t, so I kept it in; just think of it as a negative thought in an otherwise optimistic song.”

Once he arrived in Besen, he had to quarantine himself for seven days (something the Elejamian government requests its citizens do upon arrival even if they test negative and quarantine before jetting off). Fortunately, as also recommended, he arrived a week earlier than he had planned, just so he was able to fit in plenty of sightseeing in and around Milano, the city that was hosting the tournament. From taking a tour of St. Anira’s Cathedral to checking out all the animals at the National Wildlife Park on the outskirts of the city, even squeezing in masked selfies with a couple of the other participants, it was clear he was having a blast there. After all, when you’ve got time to kill in between rehearsals, soundbites for the behind-the-scenes documentary and the occasional press interview for the folks back home, you might as well take a trip around the place to enjoy as much as you can in the time you have.

However, he wasn’t the only Elejamian jetting off to the contest. Other than the fans, along with regular ETV commentators Cerin Erali and Flynn Taggart, he was joined by Alice Kleinschmidt-Hadley and her sister Cate, guitarist and bassist respectively of Second Choice. Though there were a couple of other reasons for the decision to have two former WorldVision entrants join him on stage, the main reason was just to save time and money trying to get some local musicians to join him on stage, though he did eventually find a local drummer and saxophonist to complete everything. Although there were rumours that the sisters’ appearance was them trying to avenge their disappointing performance in Boschke, they’ve both denied it, also explaining that it’s because Dave asked them to join him, simply because they owed him a favour in return for collaborating on a track together, namely a charity single with their labelmates in support for the healthcare workers who are busy trying their best during the pandemic. Don’t worry, this’ll be the last time I’ll bring up anything related to WV81. Even I don’t know why I keep bringing it up, it’s like it’s become the new Screwjob or something, even though it was just simply my top ten streak coming to an end.

So here they all are. Drawn #25, the latest the nation has had to wait for their entity since WV40, where they were drawn #41st. On the one hand, they were later in the running order so they had plenty of time to work things out in their heads, get in some last minute practice done with some makeshift space and props and anything else they needed to do. On the other hand, since they were quite late in the running order, they do run the risk of messing up one way or another. Whether it be because they’re too into one of the other entries that they end up singing the wrong lyrics or in the wrong tone, they completely miss their cues or any other issues that could end up plaguing them. But, for now, they decided to not worry about that or anything else. They were here to perform and that’s what they’re about to do. Best of luck to them.

Not doing a single cover this time because I’m not as proud of this entry as I normally would be. But I’m still wishing the best of luck for it.

Following the end of the postcard, we then cut to an aerial shot of the entire stage and the front of the crowd, who were applauding the act they were about to see. To the far left of the stage, from the audience’s perspective at least, was just a normal upright piano. A brown one that was either made out of wood or appeared to look like it was, with the keys a normal colour and no one behind them. Dotted around in various places to its right were his backing band, with the drummer being right in the middle and furthest back whereas the saxophonist was front and a bit off-center. Either side of them were Alice and Cate, holding their instruments and waiting for their cue.

Afterwards, all but one the lights dimmed. The only one that not only remained bright but also gained was shining on the empty piano. Fortunately it wasn’t empty for long as the man himself, Dave Owens, briskly walked across the stage to his seat and sat down. Originally he was supposed to be sat down at the piano already but, on the night of the actual ElejamieVision performance, he missed his cue by a couple of seconds due to a poorly-timed bathroom break; however, he liked the bit of suspense it created so he decided to work it into the actual performance itself. After all, he didn’t really have anything else to do in the performance other than sing and play the piano so he might as well try and liven up his role a bit just so he’d have more to do. He then sat down and rested his fingers on the keys to get ready.

Then he finally began to play and sing. The camera concentrated on him, switching from an aerial view of the stage to a close-up of him from the side on the piano. It also gave us a good idea of what he was dressed in. It turned out that he was dressed in a black suit with matching trousers and shoes along with a white shirt and an undone black bow tie, in a style he called “washed-up lounge singer performing at an airport bar”. It wasn’t out of any malice or self-deprecation but rather it was more because he felt that it was the most appropriate style for the song he was performing.

And so, that’s how the story goes
A walk to where no one knows
Watch as the waves wash away
All of the memories of the past
So, I have to now face the truth
Now I have to face life without you
I don’t know what I should say
And realise nothing will ever last

Towards the end of the verse, Dave slid his fingers across the keys of the piano as a segue to the chorus. At that point, all the lights turned on to reveal that the other instrumentalists were wearing red and yellow Hawaiian shirts, blue jeans and black and white trainers. Both Alice and Cate were wearing headset microphones, as expected given that they’d be moving around a fair amount during the performance and would still want to provide vocals without going out of range. The drummer had a microphone to the side of him, bent in a way that he can provide any necessary backing vocals without worrying about accidentally drumming into the mic. And the saxophonist, the only one who won’t be singing on the song, had a wireless mic clipped onto the entrance of the bell, so he can also move around freely without worrying about not being heard. Everyone on stage was grooving along, with Cate and Alice moving around a little bit as they played their instruments and provided backing vocals. Meanwhile, the screens behind them showed an idyllic beach scene, with the left-side being the actual beach itself with the palm trees and golden sand, while the right side just being the sun shining in the sky over the watery horizon. The screens below the performers also had this dynamic, with the added bonus of the right side of the screen producing waves that’d splash onto the left side of the screen. As for camera effects? Nothing super interesting, just mostly shots of Dave singing along with the odd cut to a backing band member providing some backing vocals before going back to a different angle of the guy singing the song.

In the end (oo-oo-oo-oo)
It doesn’t matter if you win or lose
It doesn’t matter what you choose
Only how you play the game
And I guess (oo-oo-oo-oo)
That no matter how hard you try
And no matter how hard you fight
That nothing ever stays the same

Once the first chorus came to an end, the lights barring the one above Dave dimmed again. They didn’t turn off per se, there was still a minimal amount of light, but they clearly weren’t as bright as they were during the chorus. The screen behind the performers turned off, as did the screen below them. It seemed like the entire stage had a massive power cut as there weren’t even any lights on above the performers. The only real sources of light were some backstage ones and the odd spattering of light from the crowd, presumably from the mobile phones of people busy recording the performance like the wankers they are instead of just enjoying the moment, the music and the performance by itself.

Fortunately, barely over a second of silence later, Dave sang again with a light turning on above him just so there would be. Midway through the first line, we then cut to a side view of the saxophonist, mostly obscured in shadow, lifting up her instrument as she began to play on it before we cut back to a brief shot of Dave playing and singing. Towards the end of the sax break, we fade back to the saxophonist lowering his instrument before we then cut over to Dave. At the start of the fourth line, the lights and the screens turned back on, not only bathing the stage in light but also getting a few cheers from the crowd. From that point on, the camera remained fixed in front of Dave and his piano, barring a brief cut to a close-up from the side in the little break during the fourth and fifth line. He would look up from his piano to stare into the camera from time to time but, for the majority of this shot, he was deep in concentration, looking down at the piano to make sure he didn’t hit the wrong key by mistake.

And I know what I now have to do
I have to accept everything new
Will come in to replace the old
And I guess that I will take it in stride
Now, I’ve got to make the change
It might feel weird and it might feel strange
Think that’s what we’ve all been told
But it might just end up being a fun ride

Right at the start of the second chorus, the lights at the foot of the stage shone brightly for a brief second, long enough to be noticeable but not short enough to irritate anyone’s eyes. From the

In the end (oo-oo-oo-oo)
Only how you play the game
And they say
That you’re just gonna have to cope
And you’re just gonna have to grow
But I’m confident I will

Towards the end of the chorus, we then cut to a close-up of Alice. More accurately, it’s of her fingers strumming against the strings on her guitar’s body. It zoomed out a little bit towards the end of the solo but as far as everyone knew the camera was busy concentrating on her guitar playing. Once that was done, we got a smash cut to the saxophonist lifting up his instrument as he was playing it, staring deeply into the camera with the saxophone taking up most of the shot as he played a few notes. Partway through the sax solo, we then cut to an over-the-shoulder shot of Dave playing the piano, albeit at an angle so we could see. It also gave those at home watching the performance another view of the backing band, as Alice, Cate and the saxophone moved in and out of shot while the drummer obviously remained in his position. After flashing a brief smile, the camera slowly turned around until it was directly in front of Dave, who then started to sing the bridge.

Mmm
And you don’t know what you have got until it slips free from you

After that was over, Dave then leaned onto his left side slightly before violently jerking to the right as he leaned into a reprise of the second chorus. The camera cut to Alice who, along with the rest of the backing band (who were all out of shot), provided some backing vocals before we then cut back to Dave. There wasn’t really much to talk about when it came to this shot, it was simply concentrating on Dave playing the piano with the odd cut to his backing band when it was their turn to provide the backing vocals.

Oh, in the end (in the end)
Only how you play the game, yeah
And they say (And they say)
That you’re just gonna have to cope
And you’re just gonna have to grow
But I’m confident I will

Once the last verse finished, nearly everyone stopped playing their instruments. The only exception was the drummer, who was playing the bass drum of his instrument, as evidenced by a close-up shot of his foot hitting the pedals. As he was doing that, an off-screen Dave started to sing the first line of the next verse. Once he got that out of the way, we then cut back to a close-up side shot of him singing, followed by another cut to the backing singers, in this case both Alice and Cate being in the same shot, before going to another shot of him singing. However, during the second half of the chorus, the camera actually stayed on Dave as he shook his head a little bit during the “And he guesses” part before he carried on singing.

Hey, hey, hey
In the end (In the end)
Only how you play the game, yeah
And I guess (And he guesses)
That no matter how hard you try
And no matter how hard you fight
That nothing ever stays the same

Unfortunately, after that, there was a bit of a problem. The single version of the song did a fade out in the next verse and would completely end in the middle of it. Something that wouldn’t be an issue if it weren’t for the fact that the song itself was performed live and they can’t segue into another song. Fortunately, much like everyone else who had the same problem (i.e. Artist Unknown and Imogene), they instead decided to create their own ending, practice it during the rehearsals and then put it in at the end. In this case, after the three bass drum beats (and Dave sticking up two, then three, then four fingers in time with it), the band instead decided to play an instrumental version of the next verse and, when it came to the end of that, they just played one last note to end it. The drummer did play a couple more beats before the song was well and truly over, though. The whole idea might’ve been a bit haphazard and awkward but at least it’s better than just randomly ending the song.

Fortunately, the audience themselves didn’t seem to mind, as it still received a warm round of applause from them. Indeed, the camera turned round to show a number of people cheering and clapping for it. Maybe a sign or two, though they could easily have been for one of the other countries instead. Either way, Dave and his backing band all stood in a line and bowed. He then walked over to the piano and, angling his head in a weird way, he simply said into it “Thank you!”. With that out of the way, as well as needing to leave the stage so the next act (La Chute from Normandy and Picardy) could get their song up and out of the way, everyone headed off backstage with Alice and Cate taking their instruments with them. Here’s hoping that this’ll end up going smoother than last time with the juries and voting public.
Last edited by Elejamie on Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

OOC: Miserable opinionated hipster.

North Alezia
Spokesperson

Founded: May 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby North Alezia » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:04 am

COMMENTATORS
Ishtar Hamaza
Lily Mchammerson

IH:Hello ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to once again, the most popular show on North Alezia, the Worldvision Song Contest this time in Milano, Besen! I'm Ishtar Hamaza
LM: And I'm Lily Mchammerson! Welcome again! This also includes others who watched not from Channel 3! Maybe they're using ABA Interactive, Youtube, or ABA Livestream... Doesn't matter, because we're all here for the same show. And this is the ENGLISH commentary. If you want to change your language, either go change to your regional channel or change your language with your ABA Interactive Set Box!

(I'm too lazy to comment on opening act yadda yadda das ist sehr gut, ja?)

(ALL ENTRIES)

1. ESTANA AND THAOS
IH: To open stuff we have, THE WIP DANCE!
LM: wip wip wip wip wip wip

2. FAUTENHEDDO
IH: No wonder why no one ever heard of them. It's a massive total toothpaste disaster!
LM: Metal fans obviously gonna send their votes, but I don't think they have a good chance of the trophy.
IH: Lyrics a bit fun to read tho
LM: By the way, you got a bag of cookies or something?
IH: Gotcha. Here ya go.
(Screen: Voting for Fautenheddo? Call 010-1010-1010-02, 5 votes per person $0,25 or Press RED on ABA Interactive Set, or cast your vote in your nearest FABA store.)

3. ESTOGIUM
LM: The first kicker of this contest! Good job from Estogium and Ishtar, please be a dear and give me some tissue, because I might have a nosebleed just now.
IH: Urgh. Here ya go. Be careful next time. By the way, this song is pretty upbeat and might earn votes from this country!
LM: I agree, it kinda has those 40s style, a big trend currently in North Alezia.
(Screen: Voting for Estogium? Call 010-1010-1010-03, 5 votes per person $0,25 or Press RED on ABA Interactive Set, or cast your vote in your nearest FABA store.)

4. NORTH ALEZIA
LM: There we go! It's us! Look at Mina's style, and I think I might predict that her style might be a trend!
IH: Haha, and their dances are very detailed to each dancer, and beginners might have difficulties following them. What a beautiful dance, you'll learn it eventually.
LM: I predict that this might bring us a win, and also might flop us. Hopefully we'll get a good result.
IH: I think this might be a good edition for us. Why? Look at Alezimania and the international support are MASSIVE. I'm pretty optimistic about this one.
(Screen: Sorry, you can't vote for your own country. You will be charged and your vote won't count. Honestly, we get it. But you just can't, okay?!)

5. CARYTON
IH: Wow. WOW! A very calming retro from Caryton. But they're playing it risky here.
LM: Agreed. People that listened to these kind of stuff are pretty limited. Maybe my grandpa would vote for him.
IH: Who knows? He might catch everyone's hearts! He looks charismatic! And his voice is impressive. And guitar? yes.
LM: It might get boring for few people tho, and it's understandable.
(Screen: Voting for Caryton? Call 010-1010-1010-05, 5 votes per person $0,25 or Press RED on ABA Interactive Set, or cast your vote in your nearest FABA store.)

6. SOUTH ALEZIA
LM: Well, I don't feel like I'm going to burn, well guess what? This might be the first time South having a good chance of having a not disastrous result!
IH: It is upbeat, but the lyrics are still classical South going anti-North.
LM: Yeah. And three dolls are something "definitely" new that South came with. Very "creative".
(Screen: Voting for South Alezia? Call 010-1010-1010-06, 5 votes per person $0,25 or Press RED on ABA Interactive Set, or cast your vote in your nearest FABA store.)

7. BEEPEE
LM: Enjoyable music from the Bipi, it's just the way we cutely call the country
IH: I agree. Her voice is also impressive as well! Very good musical capabilities shown to the world
(Screen: Voting for Beepee? Call 010-1010-1010-07, 5 votes per person $0,25 or Press RED on ABA Interactive Set, or cast your vote in your nearest FABA store.)

8. NEKONI FAILS HER MISSION, AND THAT MEANS FAILS TO GET NORTH ALEZIAN VOTES. BUT OTHERS JUST GO ON WITH THE RUNNING NUMBER SO WHATEVER SQUAWK

9. MINSKIEV
IH: Now this is what I call rock. Robi in his young 20s must be very impressed.
LM: Well, he kinda sung these types of music in his starting days, right?
IH: Yeah, he was a punk. By the way, the only problem I have is the lyrics....
LM: I kinda see how. Rum is alcohol, and mentions of it might alienate some religious voters and mothers maybe? Can't give bad influence to the next generation. I don't know, maybe WE might send something like this in the future?
IH: Only time will tell...
(Screen: Voting for Minskiev? Call 010-1010-1010-09, 5 votes per person $0,25 or Press RED on ABA Interactive Set, or cast your vote in your nearest FABA store.)

10. SCOTATROVA
IH: This kinda feels latin, and middle eastern!
LM: Well this is what I would like to call, Aramnan pleaser
IH: The Arab voters might be pleased to vote for this. A piece of art, other than that, the lyrics are pretty fine.
(Screen: Voting for Scotatrova? Call 010-1010-1010-10, 5 votes per person $0,25 or Press RED on ABA Interactive Set, or cast your vote in your nearest FABA store.)

11. PLACEY PLACINGTON
LM: OKAY WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?!
IH: This is not gonna take the crown. I'm confident about it.
LM: I MEAN, WHO WOULD THIS SONG APPEAL TO?
IH: Well, lets see... some people like this stuff, and South will be insane over things we hate. Might get Southern votes.
LM: (takes out headphones) enough I need my meds...
(Screen: Voting for Placey Placington? Call 010-1010-1010-11, 5 votes per person $0,25 or Press RED on ABA Interactive Set, or cast your vote in your nearest FABA store.)

12. WAISNOR
LM: We move from that "song" to Waisnor!
IH: This might get some votes! I kinda enjoy this one, but it might start getting a little repetitive
LM: I like the techno, it's just that classical Waisnor... Sometimes goes a little underrated...
IH: Hopefully they can attract international televoting this time! And this is a both North AND SOUTH pleaser. Good job!
(Screen: Voting for Waisnor? Call 010-1010-1010-12, 5 votes per person $0,25 or Press RED on ABA Interactive Set, or cast your vote in your nearest FABA store.)

13. TALVEZOUT

al wip
Last edited by North Alezia on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FEDERATION OF NORTH ALEZIA

Member of the Alezian Union

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

26 | N&P

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:17 am

26 - Normandy and Picardy
"La Chute" - Les Pompadours
Tune: ("Heart Demolition" - DragonForce)

Les Pompadours, the band representing Normandy and Picardy at the 84th Worldvision Song Contest in Milan, Besen

Drums. The camera focused on them, given the opening drum-lick which opened the song. Perhaps more of interest were the drumsticks, held by the hands of the drummer Pierre Lacan, which were made to look like miniature flintlock rifles, but with an appearance of being made of scrap metal and the like, and with neon blue highlights along the "welded" sections. This was the first insight that the audience was to have at what could be called the confused aesthetic of Les Pompadours, stuck somewhere between the 1780s and 1980s, and in both at once. More on this later, we have to catch up the song. Following the drum opening, and as the guitar came in, there was a cut to a wide shot of the entire stage. The entire band could be seen in the standard sort of arrangement; Antoine, the singer, towards the front on the lower stage area, the two guitarists Marc and Anaïs stood on either side, slightly further back, François further off to the left on one of the 'wings", and Pierre is shown to be towards the back of the stage between the wings, with the small LED screen behind him. These LEDs were showing the sort of generic 80s style aesthetic grid style thing, comme ça, appearing through the wonders of perspective to stretch far back. The dangling light fixtures switched between neon pink and blue, whilst the main lights along the back wall flashed slowly lighter and darker in a deeper purple, to provide a bit more depth and helo match with the LED graphics.

The band themselves were almost like the drumsticks in their hybridized get up, as if an 18th century baron had been tailored for by a character from Blade Runner, that sort of gritty 80s dystopia look; dark grey-black formal coats alongside big bulky shoes, traces of neon colour all over, a costume at once tight and flowing, with Anaïs even being in something resembling a Brunswick gown, and Antoine having sort of a wig, but one that was black, with pieces of 'electronic junk' within it, and in places looking burnt. A strange look then, but one which the band were known for, and which in its own way fitted with the content of the song, fitting with the underlying themes of Hauntology and the loss of the future, and the danger of the progress-centric views that emerged in the Enlightenment when not tempered; of course, however, most people would not have noticed this, just thinking "he he weird french men singing in weird costumes". It's always worth the effort though, I guess. In any case, again, let's allow the song to move forward. During the opening instrumental, the band just played as they were wont to do, and this was shown via a series of panning shots of the stage. As this came to an end, there was a shot which started looking down over the audience at the back, turning up and coming in towards the stage, eventually coming in close to Antoine, who began to sing. The lights died down somewhat, and in general provided an ambient purple glow more than anything. Antoine sang looking just beyond the camera, which was to one side of him. As the first 'verse' progressed, the camera slowly moved backwards and some of the lights on the floor either side of the main platform/walkway of the stage began to pulsate with the drum beat, a somewhat dark blue.

Nous sommes vendu un rêve sans fin, sans frontières
Nous aurions vaincu le monde
Nous avons donné des achats comme prières
En louant nous-mêmes comme les dieux

Smoke plumes ushered in the next verse, rather than the full blown fire promised by the lyrics, but we'll get there in the end. In any case, there were smoke plumes, not all at once but bursting into life one at a time very quickly and overlapping in timing, going from left to right. The background lights pulsated, creating growing ring patterns in lines of blue and purple, whilst the grid shown on the LEDs showed waves rippling through them, here more closely matching the lyrics here. The band pretty much stayed in place playing their variously themed instruments, with movement being provided for by the rapid camera shots, intermixing close shots of the band members with wider, panning shots.

Une baptisme du feu
Ou les vagues qui écrase
Nous nous noy-, nous noyons
Dans nos larmes ardents
Nous sommes les nouveaux dieux?
Non, la nature sont notre maitre
Et elle pleure, et elle voit
Les enfants qui aspirent d'être rois

A large "Allons-y", in white text, kind of like the white text here, suddenly appeared across the screen, with a sort of sparkling/fizzing blue outline, as the pre-chorus began, superimposed over a view of the band, all raising their arms. The view at home then appears to zoom 'through' the o to show the full, uninterrupted view of the arena again, with the band continuing to play, enjoying every single the moment, the feeling in the arena positively electric. With the second "Allons-y", we get a side profile of first Antoine, and then the other band members, all lined up together in slanted panels across the screen, such that they can all be seen, before Antoine turned towards the camera, to deliver the next line, before moving his head to the side so as to push the other people away and off the screen.

Allons-y! Allons-y!
Ouvriez vos yeux sur la crise de notre fabrication
Une cons'cration d'étouffement
Allons-y! Allons-y!
Élève la voix, hurlez
Maint'nant, ouais, c'est le temps pour action

The band, naturally, continued to play, including toying with the cameras when they occassionally came close with their flying shots etc., and generally could be seen to be really enjoying themselves, soaking up the environment. Of course, it wasn't the same as a proper live performance at a rock festival or the like, that was where the group really thrived, but still, the exhilaration of playing to so many people, including the millions of prying eyes watching through the cameras, certainly got the adrenalin pumping, and this reflected itself in the band clearly enjoying themselves; one can only really hope, as the Normand delegation certainly were, that this would rub off, and make up for their crippling lack of ideas. You can see what I'm doing here of course. Anyway, yeah, the chorus. It happened. It was epic.

C'est pas trop tôt
Il faut regarder la chute
La vide qui consome tout
La bête trouvé partout
C'est pas trop tôt
Ce moment, où est ton dieu?
Maint'nant vous êtes perdu, êtes perdu

Once again, don't really have much to say. Antoine moved about a bit, playing the frontman, following the camera and singing into it, etc. That is, except, towards the end, the background began to almost 'break up', peaces of the edifice slowly breaking of, in a sense showing it to simply be a facade, but what was to be revealed behind? That is, then, with the final line of the verb, Antoine looked backwards towards the body of the stage, almost directing the camera to it like a circus conductor, whilst it also slight zoomed in, to show how the edifice completely exploded, more of which will be described below.

Nous avons vu nous-mêmes dans nos actions
Nous avons vu juste bon
Nous avons fait un symphonie des cries
Jérusalem transformé en Tartare

What had been behind the edifice? To sum it up, an absolute hellscape, with a very strong gothic vibe (yes, that is more 19th than 18th century, but I think you can forgive them on this one, the gothic feel provides a much stronger narrative device, and definitely fits the whole hellscape style thing going on). The lighting also suddenly changed with a large sudden flash to match with this, changing to stronger reds and oranges, with a slight purple tinge, and in general retaining its 80s feel, perhaps more like a cheapy action film type thing, with the lights on the floor moving around, almost forming sort of searchlights moving around the arena. Lots of rapid jumps etc. in this section, like, some very rapid jumps indeed, corkscrew zooms, all that sort of thing. Slightly chaotic, but of course all planned.

Le soleil sourit encore
Pendant que le ciel saigne
Les cieux et l'enfer ensemble
Maudissent leur créateur
Des illusions et des rêves
Mais une vérité absolute
Il faut lutter ce monstre
La créature à l'intérieur

With the next prechorus, the Allons-y! appeared once again, but this time firmly on fire, and burning away instead, because of course you can't just repeat the same thing despite most of the performance of this song being the same thing done slightly differently, I guess. There's only so much you can do with a big rock band. Easy staging wise, I guess, but of course it doesn't feel like you've done much, which was the worry for both the band and the delegation, although they were definitely happy with the final outcome. Everything was going well so far, everything had gone exactly to plan, and some of the initial nerves that the band had had were now completely gone. They were going all into it, and this was added to by the 'subtle' (as Antoine had put it) use of wind machines, blowing about his and his band mates hair and clothes, the 'vents' referred to again in the lyrics, adding just that little something else.

Allons-y! Allons-y!
Ouvriez vos yeux sur la crise de notre fabrication
Une cons'cration d'étouffement
Allons-y! Allons-y!
Élève la voix, hurlez!
Maint'nant c'est le temps pour action
Nous lutterons contre la pluie et les vents

And before they even knew it, it was the second chorus. Not much really changed with the chorus, and here I am being deadly serious. The scene of mayhem continued to play out. The chorus actually was somewhat more subuded camera-work wise, giving the poor technicians a bit of a break, with more panning, wider shots of the whole scene playing out on stage. Some of the lights flashed and changed colour. That's about the substance of the changes for this chorus.

C'est pas trop tôt
La vide qui consome tout
La bête trouvé partout
C'est pas trop tôt
Maint'nant vous êtes perdu

The bridge was somewhat more mellowed, and to reflect this the fire, the reds and the yellows slowly subsided, the lights returning to the deep purples, but not the blues, of earlier, and a series of them forming a spotlight over Antoine, who sang directly into the camera, directly to the millions of people around the multiverse watching. Of course, the message was one likely lost on most of them, French being French, although they might at least catch "impossible", and given the genre of song put two and two together. Of course, however, this is again but a secondary matter, as Antoine carried on performing, doing little things like throwing his hand across his eyes with the 'nos yeux', that sort of thing. As the song built up again, the lights in the background began to pulsate once more, getting quicker and quicker.

Bien que il semble impossible (semble impossible)
Nous devons travailler ensemble (luttez ensemble)
Finalement, nous ouvrierons nos yeux (ouvrierons nos)
Aux choses que nous avons fait et nous pourrions faire

With the end of the bridge came one whopper of an instrumental break. A sudden flash of light heralded a new round of smoke plumes around the stage before the camera cut to show Anaïs playing her guitar, her fingers flitting across the strings, a look of concentration being joined by a wry smile betraying the fact she truly was enjoying it, and indeed being the centre of attention here. She then ran and jumped up to the higher elevation and back to Pierre on the drums, who high fived her as she came towards him. She put one foot onto the raised platform that Pierre was on, and then turned her guitar around. Out of it came a stream of fireworks, a sparkler like thing (if you know it, think like Identitet/Albania 2013, minus the creepy uncle vibes). From this, the camera suddenly zoomed out to again show all the stage, with Antoine shown briefly jumping around like mad. Bursts of the fire and smoke. More panning shots. And this continued into the final chorus.

C'est pas trop tôt
La vide qui consome tout
La bête trouvé partout
C'est pas trop tôt
Maint'nant vous êtes perdu

C'est pas trop tôt
La vide qui consome tout
La bête trouvé partout
C'est pas trop tôt
Maint'nant vous êtes perdu, ouais

We were sold a dream without end, without limits
We would have conquered the world
We gave purchases as our prayers
Whilst praising ourselves as gods

A baptism of fire
Or the crushing waves
We're drowning, we're drowning*
In our burning tears
*Playing here on the difference between noyer (to drown something) and se noyer (to be drowning/drown), which is reflected in what might appear as quite garbled French lyrics

Are we the new gods?
No, nature is our master
And she cries, and she sees
The children who aspire to be kings

Lets go! Let's go!
Wake up to this crisis of our own making
A choking consecration
Lets go! Let's go!
Raise your voice, shout
Now, yes, is the time for action

It's about time
We must face our downfall
The emptiness which consumes all
The beast found everywhere
It's about time
At this moment, where is your god?
Now you are foresaken
You are foresaken

We saw ourselves in our actions
And so we only saw good
We took the screams and made a symphony
As Jerusalem turned into Tartarus

The sun still smiles
Whilst the sky bleeds
Heaven and hell together
Curse their creator
Illusions and dreams
Yet absolutely real
We must fight this monster
The creature within

Lets go! Let's go!
Wake up to this crisis of our own making
A choking consecration
Lets go! Let's go!
Raise your voice, shout
Now, yes, is the time for action
We will struggle through the wind and rain

It's about time
It's about time
Now you are foresaken

Though it seems impossible (seems impossible)
We must come and work together (Let's fight together)
We will finally open our eyes and see (open our eyes)
What we have done and we can do*
*I acknowledge that the rhythm of the French when fitted to the song here is horrible but nevermind

It's about time
It's about time
Now you are foresaken

It's about time
It's about time
Now you are foresaken, yeah
Last edited by Normandy and Picardy on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:54 am, edited 16 times in total.
Northern French Names but with a general Western Med vibe, welcome to N&P

Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:03 pm

COMMENTARY - SPIRITUAL REPUBLIC OF CARYTON
Commentary by Carol Emerson, Master's Degree in Music - Music Theory Concentration
with special guest...
Latanya Anderson, the Queen of Carytonic Gospel Music.
Broadcast by the Trinity Broadcasting Network of Caryton

Carol Emerson, in her outfit for tonight's event

Latanya Anderson, in her sponsored church robes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGtBGd1_aC0

CE: Good evening to those subscribed to the Trinity Broadcasting Network of Caryton. Members of the Gospel Church of Caryton and god-fearing people across the world, this is the 84rd edition of WorldVision. I'm your main commentator, Carol Emerson. Tonight we have a special guest, former WV performer Latanya Anderson.
LA: Lord above, it's good to be here after many an-edition of silence on my behalf! If y'all weren't here to bring me, they might think I been dead for sure.
CE: Things are certainly alive here in Milano, Besen. Their cathedral looks similar to ours, if I must say.
LA: They be copyin' us fo' sure.
CE: Humor aside, we're looking forward to yet another brilliant night of music. Let us pray for the sake of the performers and for a warm, family-friendly night of life and spirit.

CE:
LA:

0 - Opening Act
CE: Certainly marvelous.
LA: Simply put, girl. It's real good.

1 - Estana and Thaos
DSQ

2 - Fauntenheddo
CE: I'm... no.
LA: Uh-uh. This ain't a way to start.

3 - Estogium
CE: Trousers is an awkward word to put in a song but I'm not judging.
LA: He sure calls women by a lot of names, it's odd.
CE: Good piece, though.

4 - N. Alezia
CE: The lyrics are certainly energizing, but the instrumental is certainly typical.
LA: I like the use of that language, though.
CE: Yes, despite mixed english-foreign songs being too common in WV, I find this one refreshing.
LA: I don't know how well they'll do.
CE: I'm confident they'll get a mid-grade amount of votes anyway.

5 - Caryton
CE: I must say, I never get tired of our entries but this is a bit unconventional.
LA: They be playing for the other countries approval this time.
CE: A bit disappointed that they strayed from the Spirit, but it mentions the church and the tune was wholesome.
LA: We ain't used to pop, even if it is deemed "oldies" by the foreign crowd.
CE: Duly noted. Carrying on...

6 - S. Alezia
CE: We want a trophy, too.
LA: You know it!
CE: I personally liked their previous entry better, but this one's still fun.
LA: Three dolls, I bet the North *really* can't afford that.

7 - Beepee
CE: Now this! This is something I thoroughly enjoyed.
LA: The poetic nature of the lyrics is unusually profound, but in a beneficial way.
CE: The music is as regal as the lyrics.
LA: I bet they will be given a decent score.

8 - Nekoni
DSQ

9 - Miniskiev
CE: A song about alcohol. How horrible!
LA: Church opinion sinking like his drunken hopes.
CE: Truly, it's not bad of a song though.

10 - Scotatrova
CE: It's alright.
LA: If you say so.
CE: Pretty mediocre though, but at least not blatantly offensive.

11 - Placely Placington
CE: I...
LA: Good Lawd! What in the hell was that?
CE: The vocal range is impressive, but for all the wrong reasons. Don't girls swoon over tenors instead of people who make the ground shake?
LA: I don't know, but that was absurd.
CE: I could barely make out the lyrics and the music was frankly aggressive.
LA: Let's carry on, that song was so low that I think my dinner was almost digested.

12 - Waisnor
CE: Very unusual song, but I must say not as unusual as the last one.
LA: Those lyrics are alright, but what the hell is a techno and a youtube?
CE: We shall never know. Alright, moving forward now!

13 - Talvezout
CE: Pretty good! I've no complaints.
LA: I second that.

14 - Nahlcomo
CE: I taste orange and smell music.

15 - Cokoland
DSQ

16 - Northern Beepee
CE: It sounds like a generic but decent pop song to what others consider "modern".
LA: Right, this is definitely a youth song-- or something to put on a roadtrip.
CE: Certainly not to discredit it, it's got a solid chance for some Carytonic votes.

17 - Polkopia
CE: I've never heard such a "subtly unsubtle" excuse for a sex song in my whole commentating experience.
LA: Uhuhm. Church officials ain't like that. That'll dock a few points.
CE: That aside, her vocals are spot on, and the instrumental isn't that bad. Still inappropriate though.

18 - Ertzei Kishim
CE: A vast improvement, I must declare.
LA: Truly. A love song that isn't boring and immodest.
CE: Quite peppy, if I must be honest.
LA: Not bad, not bad. They be getting a few points later.
CE: Agreed.

19 - Main Nation Ministry
CE: The transitions are weird, and the lyrics reference something disagreeable.
LA: Agreed.
CE: However, and this is a big however- the musical style is very catchy. The harmonies are good and the stage design is wonderfully used.
LA: What are you saying?
CE: This, despite it's ambiguous context, is definitely going to be a top 3 contender, if not really close to it.

20 - Malta Comino Gozo
CE: I don't know about you, Madam, but this is excellent.
LA: Girl, I be movin' to this like I'm in church!
CE: The instrumental is authoritarian in a way that provokes anger, and can we just start on that stage design?
LA: Mmmhm.
CE: Lyrics are very powerful. Despite the church being stringent, it also approves. Ladies and gentlemen, we may have a contender for a top placement.
LA: We'll see.

21 - Achaean Republic
CE: There was absolutely no music in that song whatsoever.
LA: She was only speaking. I don't get what those producers are tryin' to do to those poor modern artists.
CE: The instrumental was bland and repetitive too. The only redeeming factors are the lyrics which are alright, and the indifference of our church.
LA: I'm finna consider this a palate cleanser, if I may.

22 - Pemecutan
CE: This is definitely one of the best musical pieces of the edition.
LA: Agreed.
CE: I'm enamored!
LA: A very powerful entry for a new nation, I ain't seen this since Malta Comino Gozo.

23 - Britonisea
CE: Might I just say that this was brilliant?
LA: How so, Carol?
CE: It's got that positive attitude, it's catchy, it's clean, and there's clear talent.
LA: You think this is a high-placer?
CE: Certainly.

24 - Antahbrantahstan
CE: This. This is a ballad that I like.
LA: Mmm! Soft-voiced tenors with emotional music always get me.
CE: Antahbrantahstan never disappoints. A solid Carytonic approval.

25 - Elejamie
CE: The instrumental sounds familiar to our budding contemporary genre.
LA: Vaguely.
CE: The man is a talented vocal artist and the church is giving a respectable opinion.
LA: Mmmhm, the problem ain't the fact that it's good. It lacks distinction, that soul.
CE: I don't mean to be cruel, but it sounds more ambient, like a--- like a mall, or a roller rink.
LA: Oh, you KNOW I used to go to those all the time.
CE: Alright, alright. Let's carry on before she gets any ideas.

26 - Normandy and Picardy
CE: The negative mentioning of God is very offputting, and the style is too abrasive.
LA: Though, when compared to everything else so far it ain't that bad.
CE: You're correct. The music, even if loud-- is redeemable, even if church opinion is abysmal.
LA: Mid-tier score?
CE: Certainly.

27 - Mister X
CE: This song's about /what/?
LA: I don't care how sweet the lyrics are and the music is, there ain't no reason to be depicting homosexuality with no shirt on!
CE: Or depicting it at all, really.
LA: Pornography, blatant pornography.
CE: This is why men wear shirts in pools and beaches.
LA: Mmm-hmm. That was a great piece of music though, if it weren't such blasphemy.

28 - Saviera
CE: Not a winner like last edition.
LA: Not at all.
CE: It's just below mediocre in my honest opinion.

29 - Amuapyle
DSQ

30 - Antenovaria
DSQ

31 - Izmedu
CE: Good staging and expression, but otherwise it's not well.
LA: I liked it, personally.
CE: Somebody will appreciate it enough.

32 - Kalosia
CE: The lyrics are generic and I've quite frankly had enough of pop for today.
LA: You gotta admit though, she's a talented singer and the instrumental got us movin'
CE: True, true. It's certainly not as bland as some of what we've seen.

33 - Tod.
CE: The ending was good.
LA: Apart from those high notes, I ain't liking it that much.
CE: Noted.

Last edited by Spiritual Republic of Caryton on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:50 am, edited 9 times in total.
The Spiritual Republic of Caryton
(CARYTON VIDEO)
A serene & puritan 80s-90s tech agrarian Christian fundamentalist nation with no separation between church and state. Wide prairies, fertile plains, archaic clothing, clean skies, lack of modern influence, universal prohibition, kind societies, and simple austere lives forge the Carytonic identity.
Music of Caryton: [8-29-22] Classic Carytonic Sing-Along Hymns

Mister X
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mister X » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:02 am

27 | Mister X

Filius Deorum - "Slipstream"
Tune: Troye Sivan - "Lucky Strike"

It's summer in Mister X. That usually means long walks on the beach, ice cream, and a generally relaxed vibe. In a very real sense, that is what this song, Slipstream, is also trying to achieve. It was composed to be a relaxing summer song but retaining a dance beat. The overall song, therefore, would appeal, in a very real sense, to someone who is completely stoned. It is like a double vodka and Red Bull: both slowdown and speed-up at the same time. "Slipstream", therefore, also retains some more generic lyrics about love, fun, and so on, not least in order to provide the song with some lyrical structure. Which, given the composition of the song sounding like a vodka/Red Bull mixture, perhaps adds a structure of words that anyone drinking such mixture would not perhaps be accustomed to. One need only add champagne and it would become an Absolut Cham-bulls (absolute shambles, geddit?).

Anyhow, there are some extremely high hopes for this one. Hence, like a sports star, a dramatic recall for Filius Deorum. He is a safe bet now for MRX Television. They know that with Filius Deorum in charge things are unlikely to go arse over tit. He won't make mistakes on stage. His dashing everlasting good looks remain as such despite the metronomic passing of time on the ancient clock of the WorldVision Song Contest. With Filius Deorum, this song is safe. When he holds it in his arms, you know it will be looked after.

There's a lot of naturalistic light, attempting to create a summer vibe on stage. The back shows lots of dark blue, and the back wall has been arranged into a wall and shows waves gently crashing on a seashore. There are several deckchairs decked out around the stage and the floor of the stage looks quite sandy. The beach has come to the WorldVision Song Contest. Filius Deorum is sitting topless and in some tight jeans, reading a book in sunglasses. As the waves begin to crash on the stage the camera gently fades in and looks around the stage before finding Filius, who takes off his sunglasses and puts his book down, sits upright and stares directly into the camera, which does a very slow pan around him.

Oh, you are just so addictive, you know
Addiction like tobacco
Oh, I wanna sit behind and see you
And breathe in your aroma

In soft focus, the camera then cuts to a shot from the front of the stage, panning slowly to reveal Filius in close-up who enters the frame from camera right - he has his sunglasses back on but still looks laid back and relaxed.

And I will follow you
Whatever you wanna do
I will follow in your slipstream

The camera changes to a wider shot as Filius starts to stand up and moves, relaxedly and slowly, to the front of the stage, along with the other holidaymakers dotted around the stage. They are all wearing loose, open shirts in order to differentiate themselves from Filius. The other major factor is that they are all in couples, where as Filius is single. That is to say, on his own.

I'm right there in your tow
Breathe me in and don't let go
And I'll follow in your slipstream

Filius and the dancers all walk forwards with purpose as the camera faces front on and zooms out at just the correct pace so that the dancers and Filius are constant but the stage changes size. The lighting also becomes more yellow and warm and starts gently flashing and changing colour between yellow, orange, and a very light blue. After the end of the first line of the chorus, they stop walking and Filius starts singing with his arms out for the third line, belting out "can I be in your slipstream" to the world, it would seem. On the fourth line, they all walk again, spreading out and changing formation before Filius, still front and centre, preaches to the world for the sixth line. The seventh and eighth lines of the chorus feel like understatements after that as they all return to their deckchairs and seats.

'Cause I sit in your tow
Hold on and let's go
Can I be in your slipstream?
And I'll blow back on you
All day, all night too
Let me be in your slipstream (oh)
And I'll be in your slipstream (oh)
Yeah I'll be in your slipstream

As the second verse starts, an extremely attractive man comes onto the stage, wearing nothing but swimming trunks but looking fit and clearly doing some exercise as he runs around the stage as if he is two-thirds of a way through a marathon or a get-fit exercise. Every single person on the stage, including Filius, all have their eyes and heads glued to him as he runs past everyone. He runs off the stage within the first line, and once he is off stage everyone goes back to doing their mundane activities. However, he runs back across during the third and fourth line creating another culture of lust and love.

Oh, I wanna get addicted to ya
I just can not explain
Oh (na na na na), my consciousnesses, it craves ya
Inhale your aroma (oh hmm hmm)

And the camera focuses on the back wall and lighting as the stage "turns" into night, i.e. "later that day...". As it is doing this gradually, the camera looks in on Filius in extremely soft focus then blurs into an action replay of the man running across, but in slo-mo and soft focus, as if we are inside Filius's mind and he is dreaming, no, lusting after this man.

And I will follow you
Whatever you wanna do
I will follow in your slipstream (I will follow in your slipstream)
I'm right there in your tow
Breathe me in and don't let go
And I'll follow in your slipstream

By the time of the second chorus, the stage has descended into night-time, and Filius has put on a loose, open, white shirt. Several fire torches come on the stage and the dancers, including Filius, are all in a circle. It's like a tiki or beach party. The dancing is much more laid-back and freestyle, as everyone is clearly having a good time, dancing in a circle (or a semi-circle given it's a stage and you never want to show your back to the audience) and everyone appears to be having a good time under the stars and moonlight shown on the back screen, as well as the firelight from the pyro torches.

There are only three camera shots used from here, but they alternate fairly often. There is a wide, high shot, covering the whole stage, a front-on shot covering the dancers and the party atmosphere, and a close-up shot from the right that allows for genteel moments.

'Cause I sit in your tow
Hold on and let's go
Can I be in your slipstream? (Can I be in your slipstream?)
And I'll blow back on you
All day, all night too
Let me be in your slipstream (let me be in your slipstream, oh)
And I'll be in your slipstream (oh)
Yeah I'll be in your slipstream (oh)

Suddenly, most of the dancers stop as the attractive man from earlier (now properly dressed) comes through the middle of the circle slowly. He walks over to Filius and whispers something in his ear.

(And he'll be in your slipstream) Oh...
(And he'll be in your slipstream)

Filius replies in song as the man stands next to him, listening intently as the camera gets slightly soft-focused.

Inhale me
In your tow
And I'll go wherever you wanna go
Inhale me
In your tow
And I'll go wherever you wanna go

The man throws his arms around Filius and for the rest of the song, he hugs Filius in an affectionate display of love. The party resumes and the couple gently rock from side-to-side in amongst all the dancing. The stage lights come back on, but are subtle so as not to disturb the illusion of the party and the fire. They show some movement and gentle flashing so as to add some more oomph to the song, but not to overwhelm the relaxed atmosphere.

During the chorus, Filius and the man slip away from the circle.

'Cause I sit in your tow
Hold on and let's go
Can I be in your slipstream? (Can I be in your slipstream?)
And I'll blow back on you (blow back)
All day, all night too (all of the night)
Let me be in your slipstream (let me be in your slipstream, oh)
And I'll be in your slipstream (let me be in your slipstream, yeah)
Oh, yeah I'll be in your slipstream (let me be in your...)

(Oh, and he'll be in your slipstream) Let me be in your...
(Oh, and he'll be in your slipstream)

The dancers all part the stage and the torches go out, leaving just the moonlight and the stars. The camera changes to a top-down shot as Filius and the man lay on the beach together, picking out the stars one by one.

The camera zooms out. The waves slowly and gently crash as there is a fade out to white.

Then, with the performance over, there's lots of applause and praise on Mister X. This has to be their best entry in a long time. Will it finally end the Mister Xian prolonged slump?
Last edited by Mister X on Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MISTER X
WV29: 19th, debut
WV30: 10th, first top 10
WV31: 8th, new PB
WV33: 3rd, new PB
WV34: 6th, first hosting
WVYF: 11th, last place
WV52: 2nd, new PB
WV59: 7th, second hosting
WV62: 1st, first victory

Saviera
Spokesperson

Founded: May 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Saviera » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:45 am

.::: 28 ✾ Saviera :::.
Rivals
Tom F. O. O'Leary
To The Tune Of Violent Thing (ESC Version) By Ben Dolić

Tom F. O. O'Leary is Back! He Came 15th at Worldvision 78 in Valetta, Malta Comino Gozo with His Song Clown. Apparently a Lot of People Liked It.

Now He is Back at Worldvision, This Time He is Performing in Besen. For the Occasion, Tom is Wearing Some Really Cool, Fashionable Clothes. Trust Me.

As the Song Begins, the Camera Zooms In Towards the Stage, Where Tom is Standing. As the Chimes Sound, the Background Screen is Seen to be Full of Circles Just Like the Picture Above. As the Chimes Sound, These Circle 'Eyes' Flash Intensely and Randomly, as If to Intimidate Tom's Rivals.

But as Tom Starts Singing, the Background Screen and Stage Lights Go Dark, Except for Some Dark Red Lights.

Watchin’ you like an evil lie
Getting me red like a sunset sky
Even though you’re the answer to my “why”
Cute little game that can bring us high

Now the Strobe Lights in the Background Flash to the Beat.

You know that I’m right here
I’ll never give up
And to my own words, I stay true

As the Song Builds Up, Leading to the Chorus, Tom Sings with Increased Determination.

You know that I won’t fear
Whatever it takes
I’ll prove that I am better than you

Now the Stage Lights and the Background Screen Burst Into Life. As Seen Throughout the Whole Entry, the Background Screen is Filled with Those Eyes. Tom Dances to the Rhythm of the Song.

In this game we’re rivals
We are partners of spite
Enemy, fiend or foe — you got that look in your eyes

By the Way, Tom Does Have Backing Singers but They're Mostly Only Heard and Not Seen.

This is survival
Imma put up a fight
Happiness has a price and I won’t sympathize

By the Way, If It Wasn't Clear, This Song is About the Playful Rivalry That Tom has with His Rival, or Rather, Partner. The Two Treat Their Romance as a Game, and Tom Seeks to Win His Partner's Heart.

And if you give me your upper hand
Listen to the things I have planned
This is survival
Ooh... got a rivalry
Ooh... got a rivalry

Now as the Song Gets Back to the Chorus, the Staging Becomes a Bit More Calm, Though Restless.

Shooting high, we’re getting low
For an answer, won’t take no
We are beating fast but we take it slow
You say you enjoy it, yes I know

And Then It All Intensifies Again.

You know that I’m right here
I’ll never give up
And to my own words, I stay true

When You Think of It Really, as Vikki Watson Says in Her Song Love Is, "There's Always a Weak One, Always a Strong One". Perhaps You Could See This 'Rivalry' as That; Tom Competing with His Partner to See Who is the Weak One, Who is the Strong One, Who'll be the First to Fall (into the Other's Arms)?

You know that I won’t fear
Whatever it takes
I’ll prove that I am better than you

Everything Goes Dark for a Moment, Before Tom Bursts Out of the Darkness, After Which the Entire Stage Bursts into Life as Well.

We are partners of spite
Enemy, fiend or foe — you got that look in your eyes

In an Interview After Rehearsals, Tom Said He was Particularly Proud of the Line "Enemy, Fiend, or Foe". Because They All Mean the Same Thing. In Other Words, It Doesn't Matter How the Other Person Calls Themselves — Tom Knows Them for Who They Really are.

This is survival
Imma put up a fight
Happiness has a price and I won’t sympathize

Throughout the Chorus, Tom has Been Doing and Continues to Do Choreography to the Rhythm of the Song.

This is survival
Ooh... got a rivalry
Ooh...

Now Tom Slows Down, Slowly Kneeling as the Stage Gets Dark Again. He Crouches Down.

We are partners of spite
Yeah, yeah…

Still Kneeling, He Looks Up as He Belts This Next Part.

And I…
Will…
WIIIIIIIIIIIIN!

The Crowd Cheers, Impressed by Tom's Vocal Prowess. The Stage then Reanimates and Goes Back to Life, Livelier than Ever, in Fact. Tom Too Jumps Out and Goes into a Full Dance Routine Again. Gosh, in 5 Seconds it All Went from Silence to Violence.

This is survival
Ooh... got a rivalry
Ooh... got a rivalry

Now Tom Runs to the Front of the Stage as the Song was About to Come to an End.

As He Got There, He Sang the Final Lines of the Song and Struck 3 Final Poses in Quick Succession. At the Same Time, All the Lights Also Flashed 3 Times to the Final Beat.

This is survival
Ooh... got a rivalry

It was Done. As Tom Caught His Breath, the Crowd Went Wild. They Seemed to have Enjoyed the Song. Tom Screamed: Thank You!!! God Bless Saviera!!! And Then Left the Stage as It was Being Prepared for the Entrant from Amuaplye.
Last edited by Saviera on Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amuaplye
Minister

Founded: Dec 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Amuaplye » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:36 pm

29. AMUAPLYE
I'm a dude.
Also, call me Amuaplye, not Amuapyle, or Amu.

Electrum on Discord wrote:Please do not ping me a list of body parts.

Antenovaria
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 11, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Antenovaria » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:29 pm

withdrew
Last edited by Antenovaria on Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Izmedu
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 09, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Izmedu » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:13 am

31. IZMEDU
Gordan Glavas - Ratnička priča

Translation: A Warrior's Tale
Tune: Ermal Meta - Finira bene

“For all my life, I’ve always aimed to try and tell a story with each song I write, whether that be for my own purposes or if I were writing a song for another artist. Sometimes, a tale presents itself with an obvious cantor; you can see where your lyrics are heading and what must be done to bring a song to its natural and logical conclusion. Some songs resist a model, many fall in-between. What I hold dearly is that each song does have a tale behind it, even if said story is buried deep within the words. Naïve for someone my age, perhaps, but what singer in our industry does not hold a belief that could easily be deconstructed?”Gordan Glavas

‘Ratnička priča’ held an odd place in the long canon that marked Izmedu’s long history in the WorldVision Song Contest. That itself was a bold statement, considering the slight oddness of the most recent Izmeduan entries and how so many are attempts to try and stake a legacy in the contest’s ever-expanding oeuvre. The singer himself also held an odd place in his own industry, much like the song in its own contest. Gordan Glavas straddled the line between either being an obscure artist or a living legend, having a fanbase so diverse and reaching to so many age groups that it would be unproductive to say that he had an overarching fanbase identity. Indeed, it was difficult to classify Gordan’s status after a long career of his own hits and writing for other people. Was he pop? Was he rock? Was he an alternative form of the two? The amount of questions always amounted to an existential crisis he wasn’t even sure of how to reckon with. Did he belong in the same pantheon as Izmeduan legends like Dejan Mlakar and Matej Soric? Was he simply unclassifiable much like Josipa Milas? Was he another category entirely? Gordan was never quite sure, even during the peak of his career. The only thing that helped him sidestep these existential questions was a fundamental belief that there was a purpose to the work he was doing. A fundamental belief that he was a storyteller first, that every song he was writing was deeply embedded with a tale that needed to be told.

For those with a more distant and relaxed approach to music making and lyric writing, someone like Gordan was presented as almost too passionate to his craft. Of course, one look at his personal history (especially in regards to his WHF33 entry) was enough to justify why he dedicated so much energy to his music. Loss after loss, of a mentor and a son, were profound marks to his life and psyche. Fatherhood was the first spark of creativity, one that certainly befit the creative ethos he has held throughout all his life of telling a captivating story through song lyrics. The energy that sustained songs like ‘Dignitet’ inspired the emotionally overwhelming songs he would write through most of his career, ones that put him in a similar sphere to his older contemporaries while remaining culturally and sonically distinct from them as well. Of course, this kind of high emotional torque approach was one that couldn’t last forever, with his sound taking softer overtones after his WHF33 entry. He was still a storyteller, but that contest seemed to resolve (some) of the threads that were marking his life. He gave voice to a son he had lost, he began to properly bury his feelings over the losses he sustained. Things were beginning to come together, but that didn’t quite mean that tales that needed to be told ever ceased.

Gordan’s nigh-impossible classification started to appear in his post-WHF33 career, especially when it came to the sounds he began to push. He was still a traditional pop singer-songwriter, to be sure, but he wasn’t exactly pushing the kind of traditional or new sound that the Izmeduan music industry was fond of pushing to its listeners. Light rock influences began to seep into his work, alongside his classic mix of emotive ballads, but perhaps what he was most interested in writing was fast-paced folk type songs where the story was even more at the center. Gordan always wrote with a story in mind, but the story often came by as a byproduct of writing a stanza or two. However, what Gordan never quite explored was explicitly marking the song as a story or tale and writing with that concept in mind. Such songs came and went in Izmeduan music history, but most attempts were chided as being a bit too on the nose and lacking a certain subtlety versus songs that just presented themselves as they are. Despite those seeming limitations, the thought of writing the song as explicitly a story right from its conception was too much of a potential muse for Gordan to simply scare away. He found a story in each song, but that discovery was done through spontaneity and through the songwriting process itself. However, story-boarding a song and having it be self-aware as a tale… In Izmeduan folk, that was by no means a profound writing device; indeed, much of Izmeduan folk can be said to have presented in this way. However, said writing trope isn’t quite as common either Izmedian pop or rock.

That was the creative impulse behind ‘Ratnička priča.’ Though the creative shell of the song was present, there needed to be a compelling concept to carry the song. Though there were a multitude of influences he could’ve pulled from, especially from Izmeduan mythos and oral tales, Gordan decided to try for a fantasy-esque approach adapted from stories he had both seen and witnessed from Izmeduan media. It would be nigh impossible to try and dictate one specific line of inspiration that led to Gordan presenting the concept of a warrior trying to overcome an enemy, but what Gordan wanted to play around with was the concept of the hero’s tale. It had a narrative structure that was flexible enough for Gordan to complicate in his lyric writing. There was the humble hero, who would through trials and tribulations, eventually become strong enough to defeat the villain (if there was one). Many variations of that same story, with or without an antagonist, exist in Izmeduan media. As befitting the Izmeduan fondness for darkness, it likely goes without saying that many Izmeduan protagonists of course either meet their death by the end of a story or are more apt to sacrifice themselves, or witness someone close to them sacrifice their life on their behalf. An endless barrage of struggle would also lead into that point of sacrifice, one where readers were privy to the kinds of tribulations the protagonist would face. An Izmeduan hero’s story is one marked with pain and sorrow, to the point where some stories almost appeared hopeless in the face of an overwhelming antagonist.

Gordan wanted to express a tale of a similar resonance through song. As a writer who dwells in stories, the process should seem intuitive. However, placing the story first instead of letting the story come organically presented a challenge. While Gordan was a storyteller in his own right, he was by no means the kinds of storyteller that would either write novels or script television shows. If he was going to place the story first, he needed to find some way to storyboard the concept first instead of hoping the story will arise from the words. One particular WorldVision entry he looked towards while he was writing the song was Kalosia’s winning song from the 78th WorldVision Song Contest, Zlatko’s “Time and Tragedies.” While he may not have been the biggest fan of the music itself, what always entranced Gordan about Time and Tragedies was its lyrical composition. In any other context, Gordan would absolutely go to bat for the song to be considered as a profound poem in its own right, with the song carrying the solemn quality to carry its narrative. Indeed, that was what Gordan admired about the song. The writing was of a highly poetic quality, but it presented its story with a scintillating quality that allowed for its universal reach and for those in many corners of life to follow its story of a boy who faced tragedy. Though Gordan would not be touching on real life topics nor even attempting to try and match the song’s gravitas, what Gordan wanted to take and emulate from Zlatko was their creative ethos and methodology behind the song. That ethos being that strong, tightly composed narrative that effortlessly ran through its lyrics.

Once Gordan realized where Ratnička priča and Time and Tragedies would depart from each other, that was where he began to feel much comfortable with crafting his song’s narrative beforehand. He had the basic kernel of an idea in his mind. The song would be a song about a warrior who would face an antagonist, an undefinable force that would take the form of monsters ravaging his homeland. He kept the details vague, wanting the song to move fast and not linger too deeply on the warrior as a character. If Time and Tragedies, using the song as a reference point, focused and primarily lingered on its protagonist as a character, then Ratnička priča’s concerns were more plot-driven. At least, that was the creative intent of Gordan’s song. While Gordan was able to storyboard a basic story, a story about a hapless warrior who faces against an enemy force, working with the lack of details proved difficult… Who was the warrior? Hapless was a start. Gordan began to imagine someone who was perhaps not even born a natural fighter, wanting to avoid any tropes or plot devices that resulted in a protagonist being a ‘chosen one.’ In this universe, his protagonist was a warrior like any other, but one who would struggle to fight and take up his chosen mantle. However, that protagonist would have a quiet determination to continue on, despite the odds being stacked against him.

Even if Gordan felt like he was writing a new style and creative vision, sometimes in struck him just how similar the process felt and what kinds of themes he unconsciously relied on. A younger protagonist who has been kicked down and deemed unworthy? Someone who may not be able to fulfill the role they set themselves out to want to fulfill? Gordan could easily identify the specific songs that were helping to influence the ones he was writing. Despite the feelings of creative stagnation it inevitably engendered, seeing those same kinds of themes appear in a new light helped Gordan finish the song and take it to its conclusion. Indeed, it was the exact kind of motivation that helped him submit the song for Izmepisma consideration instead of leaving the song sitting in his pocket waiting for a hopeful single release. There was something about the song, as he kept writing and revising, that represented not just a hopeful return to the Izmeduan limelight, but the next step of an already long career where he was unsure of what to do in the wake of facing the inevitable reality of retirement and settling into an elder statesman kind of role. Gordan, for better or worse, knew that his eventual end was to come sooner rather than later. Now was a better time than ever to do one last thing to help rejuvenate his career before he would settle into a comfortable string of intimate concerts, or simply exist as a retired musician.

Despite his stature in the industry, Gordan did not expect the song to go anywhere when he sent the song as his only submission to Izmepisma WV84. A part of him hoped that it didn’t get chosen due to the name he carried, but he knew he couldn’t control the vagaries of RTI’s selection committee. However, Gordan didn’t expect his song to unintentionally speak to RTI’s desires about how to move the country forward in a contest where the channel internally felt they were once more stagnating. Reliance upon WorldVision’s time-tested genres alongside Izmedu’s habit of utilizing similar narrative and staging tropes were bearing down upon RTI by the time they were organizing the 50th anniversary celebration of Izmedu’s participation. While plans to celebrate the country’s golden anniversary were always in place, those in the channel wondered if it was a wise idea to do so considering that it was precisely the habit of leaning on the past was what hampered recent Izmeduan entries. Even entries like Prudencija N.’s uncomfortable ‘CHAOS’ was one variation in a similar theme and format. RTI were uncertain of what to do moving forward except to acknowledge the faults that they had. To build a new foundation and to try and stake out something so new was going to be difficult to do in one edition, especially since habits were so well-entrenched. They needed to falter, they needed to fail in order to get this right. WV84 was not a time to experiment just yet.

Gordan’s song represented the kind of balance between old and new. In comparison to the 8 other songs in Izmepisma’s grand final, it was a bit more of a daring choice than lighting up 50 editions with a similar kind of ballad to the Izmeduan debut. However, Gordan knew never to expect miracles in the national final. It was better to hope for the best than get burned expecting for a win to happen. Even being chosen was in itself an honor for Gordan. What he didn’t expect was for the song to slowly and gradually capture the Izmeduan consciousness in a way that not even Dejan Mlakar’s entry was able to do. Despite Gordan’s struggle with the writing process and the conflicting way he presented the song, there was something about the explicit storytelling approach to the song (alongside the concept) that appealed to Izmeduans nationwide. Ratnička priča was both an escape and a commentary, utilizing its fantasy-esque setting of swords and magic to tell a story that could easily be translatable enough to a real world setting. His tale, despite being told through a conflicting lens, was compelling enough for Izmeduans to vote it over the pre-contest favorite, “Ples subine.”

Now he stood in Milano, duly reminded of the time he was in Avranches for the 33rd World Hit Festival. There were many firsts to his Izmepisma win. The oldest winner, the first solo male act to pull off the feat in the national final’s long history, and a stunningly high televote that he could barely believe actually happened.

This was different. There was no lifelong personal tale embedded or attached to this song, or even a personal story. This was a tale of his own creation.

One he hoped would be enough to move the world, even if for a small, fleeting moment.

Gordan knew RTI always had the kind of magic thinking necessary to fit any concept onto any stage, even if a couple of details needed to be streamlined and folded in as necessary. However, the Besenian stage was the unexpected boon for what Gordan had in mind. Just importing the Izmepisma performance wasn’t going to be enough, considering there was always a conceptual staging revamp from national final to international song contest. He took a deep breath as those thoughts and many others coursed through his mind when it came time for the Izmeduan entry’s turn to the WorldVision stage. Even if WorldVision and the World Hit Festival carried a similar spirit, the differences between them were always fascinating, even beyond just the way he had two different entries and philosophies heading into each contest. The World Hit Festival he once participated in did have a bit more of an intimate feel, considering there were smaller numbers back then. The press presence itself was another matter, considering there were more countries than he was familiar with in Besen. He recognized some of the classic names, but the WorldVision experience felt new and novel. Once he was in position, he knew there was no turning back now…

Stage lights billowed down to the center of the Besenian stage, flashing a brilliant white light before fading into a total darkness. The camera would linger with a far-away view of the stage, the silhouettes of the audience appearing for just a scant microsecond before fading. Gordan was situated at the center of the stage, wearing a modest and non-descript outfit for the performance, his head turned down. After a second or two of silence, the entry would begin in earnest. The beginning was soft and enigmatic, the stage’s outlines lighting up in variations of red and white, indicating the initial color palette for the entry. A series of instrumental plucks were heard as the song’s introduction, one that was brief and led directly into the first verse without much fanfare. The camera would cut to a close view of Gordan, eyes gazing into the camera and ready to tell his tale. With one hand on the microphone, he would raise it up and begin to sing…

U-el daleku prošlosti prisićam se
La priča o pričama od ponizog čovike
Rodio se sjansa sudbine proročanstve
Samo do tragedije

The first verse was a clear sign of just how the fast the song would be moving. Even with no beat, Gordan’s ‘spoken’-esque vocals and the quick succession of chords from the background music’s acoustic guitar indicated the rapid way the song would be moving. Fittingly, Gordan would be moving and nodding along to that energy, with him visibly tapping the side of his leg to the song’s ‘beat’ as he sang. The camera would cut between close and mid-shot views of him should it focus on him, but each angle would emphasize how he would be directly singing and telling these lyrics to the viewer. When he would not be tapping his leg to the beat, he would make movements that would invite the viewer in. The stage itself remained dark, as if Gordan were singing against a backdrop set in the dead of night. At the final line of this first half of the verse, Gordan would reach one hand towards the camera, his nods getting stronger and more aggressive. However, it was also clear that Gordan would not be the central focus of the song just midway through these set of lines. At the second line, the camera would cut to a lingering shot of the song’s ‘protagonist.’ On stage, he would be a man dressed in a raggedy armor, a chest plate that looked rusted, and a sword that looked dull. The man’s expression was solemn, befitting the lowly way the lyrics introduced him. Gordan’s vocals remained enigmatic and somewhat distant from the situation, focused entirely on telling this man’s story instead of inserting himself in the situation. As the verse would progress to its second half, a beat would begin to be added to the proceedings. The camera would start to focus more and more on the man’s struggles, with him standing up with shaky legs and a pained expression. His spotlight would begin to light up in a dark white light as he stared towards the camera.

Surova čudovišta lutaju ova tara
Nekoliko su voljni braniti njihova doma
Jedan čovik usuđuje se boriti sada
Položi la način sputa
Ratnička priča

That beat would spur on the narrative, turning the focus away from the man as the camera would focus on the screens behind both the protagonist and the singer. The stage was arranged in a way for there to be a pseudo-screen composed of the back panels. These screens would begin to show a backdrop of a fantasy land set in a medieval setting. What was shown was a stylized medieval town of vaguely Izmeduan origin, certainly hand-drawn. A dark force began to overcome the town, represented by wicked-looking monsters of fairy tale origin. These monsters were silhouetted in darkness, their forms barely recognizable as they would begin to descend upon the innocent looking town throughout the first and second lines. As the verse progressed to its end, scenes of soldiers attempting and falling by the wayside were shown; the forces that were taking over the land were simply too much to handle. No one human was able to overcome these forces and things were looking bleak, which befit the way Gordan sang these lines with a solemn tone. Midway through this verse, the desperate looking man would appear into view from a camera angle change. He gazed into the screens with an expression of fear, one that would transform into a fragile and yet fiery determination as the reality of the situation began to dawn upon. From the camera angle, trembling hands were evident from the way he was holding his sword. He barely had the strength to carry it, but the man knew what kind of duty he must uphold in order to defend his hometown. By this point, the focus on Gordan on stage was now completely lost, with him only proving his connection to the entry by way of him being the entry’s singer. Regardless, he sang each word with the kind of solemnity it needed. The chorus would end when Gordan would sing the song’s title, causing the song to pivot to a different tone. The beats disappeared as a background singer would make their mark by singing the song’s melody. Timed to that, the man would begin to look upwards and take his sword in hand. The camera would fade back to what was being displayed to the screens, giving ample time for stage hands to direct others onto the stage.

Ratnička priča
Ratnička priča
Ratnička priča

The first invocations of the song’s title, acting as the song’s ‘chorus,’ were at first soft. They were framed by the background vocalists at first, with the scenes and locale shifting of one within the medieval town being taken over. It was now a stylized armor, a suspended scene of training that would be made evident once the focus returned to the man. On the stage was that very same man, dressed in somewhat better armor but still looking somewhat shaky in his demeanor. Standing opposite of him was another soldier, clad in brilliant armor but their identity remaining hidden. Both would have swords in hand, each one ready to strike in this suspended moment. The man’s eyes would gaze carefully at his sparring opponent. At the third refrain of the song’s title, the instrumentation would intensify slightly, signifying a quick movement was at hand. From there, the man’s first taste of battle would begin with a brutal sparring match. Once the guitar could be heard, the camera would dramatically flash as their swords would clash and collide for the first time.

Ratnička priča
Ratnička priča
Ratnička priča

The song intensified even further, with the beat from the verse returning to add a sense of urgency. Despite this, Gordan’s vocals remained calm, soft, and low. It was a dissonance from the way the man and the soldier were fighting against each other with gallant force, treating the sparring match as if it were a matter of life and death. Audience members could see how Gordan was simply singing at the side looking awfully calm, almost in a trance. Both were trying to fight each other with maximum effort. Since the sword fight was a rehearsed one, sound effects to each clash and clang were played over the backing music, loud enough to be heard but not so loud as if to be intrusive to the song and disrupt its flow. The man was putting in a valiant effort, but it was clear that he was not a professional like the fellow soldier he was fighting again. They, the soldier, was effectively wearing down the man’s defenses by the end of the chorus. By the last ratnicka prica, the soldier made one clever and dramatic swipe, pointing their sword at the man’s chest as a symbolization of what his outcome could’ve well been at the auspices of a live combat situation. The man would look up at the soldier, guffawed, in admiration, and also realizing that there was still much more to learn about combat if he were to fight against the darkness. He would take the soldier’s hand at the second verse’s beginning, the camera view fading back to the screens once more.

La svita raspada se-u vičana ludila
El čovik bori se drhtavi strah protiv zlotvora
Oštrica i tilo ukalini sangu od btika
On se suoči tragedija
Ratnička priča

The song was well and truly into gear at this point, with additional layers of instrumentation added to heighten the urgency and stakes of the track and the narrative. The song maintained the same pace, but the images on the screen were beginning to tighten and throw the narrative into further chaos. The darkness had well and truly taken over the innocent looking medieval town, with more soldiers falling down one by one. A stylized depiction of the man would appear on the screen, his hands trembling once more as the gravity of the situation once more descended upon him. A question now had to be begged, could this world truly be saved? Or were they simply fighting a hopeless war? Brief scenes of the man’s first encounters with fighting against these mysterious and enigmatic monsters were shown, timed to when the music would just briefly flourish with those orchestral elements and electric guitar. By the verse’s third line, the camera would shift away from the screen and back to the real life depiction of the man. His armor was battered and he looked worse for wear. He would stumble towards the audience with trembling hands, barely able to hold himself together. He would fall to his knees by the end of the verse, with the song cutting right into its ‘chorus’ with no need to break. However, the man’s eyes still held a sliver of strength within them, one he hoped was enough to get through facing certain defeat. However, he would not be the only one on stage soon…

Ratnička priča
Ratnička priča
Ratnička priča

When the chorus began, two figures that looked like enigmatic monsters on the screen would begin to attack the man on stage. The man, duly alarmed, raised his sword in panic and adrenaline and attempted to fight back. Would the training from earlier pay off? Or would he fall down midway through the song? The fight between him and the ‘monsters’ (two dancers dressed in dark garbs and lightly decorated eyes) was almost timed and even scripted to the music. The two monsters were nearly overwhelming the man, but sheer force of will is what was getting him to survive. However, the best the man could do, with well-timed sword swings and rough swordplay, was to simply drive away the monsters. It was a pyrrhic victory, especially evidenced when the man would collapse on one knee and his sword would fall to the ground. He would be breathing heavily, looking towards not just the screen, but towards the heavens with a sign for any hope. Unfortunately, this brief victory was not to last. Before the song would transition to its next part, especially at the last refrain of the song’s title, one ‘monster’ would rise from the shadows and strike the man directly. This was done with clever timing, with the camera taking a squarely mid view of the stage and the back panels being purely in white, causing the two figures to appear as shadows against the screen’s brightness. The man would collapse holding his chest, with one hand still holding onto the sword resting on the ground. There was no time to rest as the song immediately transitioned to its bridge…

Nigova volja bidi
Mui ne može se predati
Beskrajna aura treninga
Žrtva neće biti uzaludna
Nigova volja bidi
Još drzi do samog kraji
Nigove koste lome
Jamne ostaje jake

This turn of events even affected the way Gordan would sing the song. The man was close to death, his situation reflecting the way the lyrics were beginning to acknowledge that there was not much left of him. Despite that fact, the man would stand up and shoulder the grave injury inflicted on him, anger and determination fueling his desire to save his hometown. This was even reflected in how Gordan’s vocals began to become stronger and even had that swooning quality often associated with his ballads and emotional songs. Even though he may not be present from the camera angles, he sang in a way that was trying to reach for the man that was nearly dying on stage. The storyteller was subtly willing for the protagonist’s victory, even in the face insurmountable circumstances. The scene would further develop as the camera views would alternate between the screen and the stage. It truly was utter chaos and pandemonium in the lands that the man called home. The forces of darkness had well and truly descended the world into its chaos, but the man would simply just not give up. His stylized image on screen could be seen trying to recover, finding other people to fight alongside, and trying to salvage what could be salvaged from this hopeless situation. By the end of this bridge, the scene would then shift into one where the man would be flanked by other soldiers on stage. They were staring off a group of monsters descending on stage. The development to this scene was timed to the music softening from its intense urgency, one where it seemed like the tides could well be turning…

Ratnička tragedija
Ratnička ratnička
Ratnička priča barba
Ratnička priča žrtva
Ratnička ratnička
Legende pokopan smrta
I u tragedija
Ratnička ratnička ratnička

The choreography by this additional bridge was scripted to look like a montage of the soldiers fighting these mysterious monsters. Gordan’s vocals were fast and hushed, playing a clear backseat to the events that were playing out on the stage instead of acting as the force that would inform the audience of what was happening. The vocals were fast and hushed, almost sounding as if Gordan were muttering them into the microphone instead of singing them out loud. For the first time in this song, it was the people from the medieval town that looked to be clawing out a victory. With the platoon on stage fighting as one visible force, they seemed to be doing more to the monsters than just warding them away… They were successfully able to push them back into defeat. For once, there were now more people clad in armor than monsters. However, this victory would be short lived. By the end of this part of the song, more monsters would appear from the wings. The beleaguered soldiers knew they were no match, with the man himself looking almost ready to cede defeat. However, he was the one to lead the charge when the song once more resumed its nigh-triumphant vibe. The background music would intensify to its highest heights, just in time for the song to enter its final minute. Gordan took a deep breath as he readied his vocals.

Ratnička priča
Poslidni dah on udara
Ratnička priča
Podiže jaružme za napad
Ratnička priča
Izgubi život svakom zamahu
Izgubi svakom zamahu

The song would hit its highest sonical and narrative heights here. Gordan would start this part off with the strongest vocals he would use for this song, belting out each word with as much emotion he could muster without losing the dignity and gravitas of telling the story. The increased emotion and desperation of his voice was amplified with the way the scene on stage was looking. The final minute of the song would consist of the soldiers’ last stand, as led by the man that was the very focus of this song. Even though there was no audible yell from the man as he led the soldiers forward, the energy of such an action could still be felt from the way he valiantly led and fought against the soldiers. It was clear that his earlier injuries and struggles were affecting him and each soldier. Each strike from each person was always laced with pain, whether that be from the monsters or from earlier injuries. They were fighting at their damnedest, succeeding like never before. Yet, this success in battle was coming at a profound cost. That cost was clear, the man had been dealt a mortal wound by the end of this portion. He would fall to his knees, despite the fact that the monsters were retreating away from the situation. Much of the platoon had fallen in this desperate attempt at defense, even though it resulted in this outcome. The last remaining soldier who was able to survive with their life intact without much injury went over to the tend to the man, but his fate was looking more and more obvious.

Ratnička priča
El neprijatelj je poražen
Ratnička priča
Tako to košta čovik nigov život
Doista, ovo je
Ratnička priča

Clever camera angles were made when Gordan was still passionately singing over the intimate scene, ensuring that there was no need to reproducer any graphic content or gore on stage. It was made clear from the man’s expressions, one that contorted from profound pain to one of a slow acceptance, that he was soon to die. The living soldier held the man in their arms, their face covered still by armor and their reactions to the scene left a mystery. The man could only smile in pain at that soldier, seeming to say something in silence. By the fourth line, the man would close his eyes, representing the end of the man’s tale and his ultimate defeat. The spotlight would fade away from the man and the unknown soldier, the latter only craning their head down in solemnity. Despite this, the song would continue on with its high-intensity arrangement, never once letting down its tempo or rhythm. With the man’s death, the fate of the world presented in this entry was left up to chance, with no clear ending as to how it was resolved or if there will be even anyone to say it. Fitting the enigmatic and tragic ending, the focus would return back to Gordan as the storyteller as the song transitioned to a final refrain of the chorus. The camera maintained a close view of him, with him staring right into the camera looking like a much different person than the one who introduced the song. Instead of seeming mysterious and emotionless, Gordan’s eyes now held the sorrow of learning and experiencing what happened to the man through singing and telling his tale. He constantly had one hand to his chest as a way to maintain his vocals, with his eyes closed as he was prepared to close out the song.

Ratnička priča
Ratnička priča
Ovo je ratnička priča
Ratnička priča
Ratnička priča
Ratnička priča

Even though he would have to eventually soften his vocals, that did not stop the song from letting out an instrumental flourish or two. For the first two iterations of the title, the song could be heard still soaring to its highest heights, with orchestral flourishes and electric guitar still swirling about the instrumentation. The lights around the stage swirled with chaos, red and white lights bouncing and reflecting off each other. At the last three times Gordan would need to sing the song’s title, he would do so with a lower tone of voice. A solemn one, befitting the situation and acting as if he were presiding over the protagonist’s memorial. He would nod his head downwards at those three iterations, ending the song the same way it began. The forlorn plucks would close out the song, fading into a nigh-abrupt ending as Gordan’s spotlight would fade. Once the instrumentation faded, so too would any and all stage effects.

Gordan felt breathless when the entry ended. Sure, all he had to was sing and tell a convincing story, but there was something about the crowd cheer that always got him. Even if this song may not have had that personal connection like ‘Dignitet,’ there was something about ‘Ratnička priča’ that ate at Gordan’s heart in a way that always motivated him. He strove to reach higher heights and understand that his career, even if it may be nearing its twilight age, was not over just yet. He still had work to do, songs to write, and performances to sing. The rush from seeing the Besenian crowd cheer was indicative enough.

He went over to the person who played the protagonist he wrote as well as the soldier and hugged them both tightly, with them doing a brief bow before exiting the stage. It was just in time for the Kalosian entry to begin setting up.

Gordan knew now that what would happen from then until the end of the contest was out of his control. Whatever ending this tale may hold, he knew that another one was lying in wait.

Ready to be written, ready to be sung. He just needed to find the words.

From a distant past I recount
A tale of tales about a humble man
Born to no prophecy or divine fate
Only to tragedy

So many cruel monsters wander these lands
Few are willing to rise and defend their home
One man dares to fight at this very moment
He swears by the sword

A warrior's tale
A warrior's tale
A warrior's tale
A warrior's tale

A warrior's tale
A warrior's tale
A warrior's tale

The world begins to fall into an eternal madness
The man fights with a trembling fear against his gallant foes
Blade and body stained with the blood of battle
He faces tragedy

A warrior's tale
A warrior's tale
A warrior's tale
A warrior's tale

His will to fight is slowly wilting
Yet he must not capitulate or surrender
Endless hours of sparring
His sacrifices will not be in vain

His will to fight is slowly fading
And yet he holds onto until the bitter end
His bones may break
Yet his spirit remains strong

A warrior's tragedy
A warrior's tale of struggle
A warrior's tale of sacrifice
Legends buried in the past
And in tragedy

A warrior's tale
With one last breath he strikes once more
A warrior's tale
He raises his weapon for the next attack
A warrior's tale
He loses his life to each swing
Losing to each swing

A warrior's tale
The enemy faces certain defeat
A warrior's tale
Yet it comes at the cost of the man's life
A warrior's tale
It truly is
A warrior's tale

A warrior's tale
A warrior's tale
This is a warrior's tale
A warrior's tale
A warrior's tale
A warrior's tale
Last edited by Izmedu on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
LA DEMOKRATSKA REPUBLIKA IZMEDU
"Drante ufanje, mi smo vim."

Kalosia
Minister

Founded: Jan 09, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kalosia » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:17 am

Kalosia
Not the End — Maria Guterës
performed in English to the tune of ADN — Tal

A few people at RTVK certainly got an earful after that fateful night in St. Christopher. In the Llaltese-hosted contest, Kalosia came 30th, its worst-ever result in its over 60 participations in the WorldVision Song Contest. While that itself was already a shocker, the singer, Sierra Elena, was fuming. How the FUCK could she, an established artist with quite the following, flop so badly? While nobodies both from here and abroad can do so well at the contest???

The unusual behaviour of the Kalosian delegation also raised some eyebrows. Not exactly anything sketchy, but with Sierra Elena covering part of the expenses and managing to rent a yacht for 3 whole weeks, some had suspected that the Kalosian head of delegation received bribes in order to select her song. After all, Kalosia always sends quality, how did we allow ourselves to get such a bad result?

In fact, this was made a bit worse by rumours that the Kalosian entry for the current, 84th WorldVision Song Contest was originally submitted for the 83rd edition and was about to be selected as the entry when it was suddenly "deferred" to the 84th contest. What actually happened, the singer confirmed on social media, was that the song was submitted shortly after the 82nd contest (so when the submission window for WV83 was open), but the song itself wasn't specifically for the 83rd contest. Rather, the singer was fine with it being entered in any of the next 3 contests (which at the time was 83, 84, and 85).

But that fiasco is all over now.

For the 84th WorldVision Song Contest, WV veteran Maria Guterës is back. The Palmañe-born woman previously represented Kalosia in the 72nd WorldVision Song Contest with a colleague, Fernandu Kruž, performing the song Man on a Mission. They came 4th out of 18 with 86 points. Funnily enough, both the 72nd and 84th WorldVision Song Contests are held in the same country, which means Maria is back in Besen to contend for the title. Whereas Maria wrote only the lyrics to Man on a Mission, she, being a singer-songwriter, is both the composer and author of this song.

The song, Not the End, was about what is meant to be a temporary end to a relationship. In the song, Maria implies that the pair have gone through rather turbulent times in what is otherwise a good, healthy romance, and so appear to be taking a temporary break, although she knows she doesn't really want it to end. Some have interpreted the lyrics to be about the pandemic, about how the circumstances have separated people who long to be reunited one day.

Maria, like Sierra Elena last edition, was excited to be back and performing. In fact, with travel restrictions being slowly opened up, this will be the first time in 4 editions that there will be Kalosian fans in the audience, as international travel has been reopened in time for the final. She didn't have time to go shopping, however, so she picked out a lovely maxi dress from her closet that she hadn't worn in a while, and then went shopping for accessories after she had arrived in Besen, putting together a look.

Rehearsals went pretty smoothly. It was revealed that she was to be joined by 3 backing singers — as restrictions were relaxed, RTVK had more freedom to send less downscaled delegations. Still, plans to have a band onstage were scrapped due to scheduling and logistical reasons.

Kalosia was drawn to perform 32nd, after the entrant from Izmedu. As Goran Glavas finished performing, it was showtime for Maria.

As the opening notes to the song played, the audience cheered. The stage became illuminated in a bath of blue light as Maria started singing.

I was thunder to your storm
I followed wherever you went
And your lightning strikes, the damage formed
Is this love what your anger meant?

After some close ups, the camera slowly zoomed out and eventually switched to some slowly moving middle shots. You could see the backing singers in a line at the back of the stage, not hidden away.

We reached the eye
In the violence sits the calm
And we walk away

Up until this point, Maria had been standing still, letting the camera convey her nonverbal cues. Now she slowly takes a few steps forward as the lights begin to increasingly move and flash along. Interestingly, the LED screens are not utilized for this performance, though the stage lights are fully used.

With every footstep I try to hide
All my tears and feelings, they’re deep inside
And you will always be my friend
It’s not the end

Maria snaps to the beat with one hand, handheld mic in the other. At this point the camera angles used were increasingly dynamic, meaning that she herself did not have to move as much, as the camera and the ever vivid stage lights were doing the work for her.

When this is over, we’ll celebrate
Come and look for me in the evening shade
I’m sure one day we’ll meet again
This is not the end

The stage lights become a bit more calm as we return to the verse, but the bars start to move around to the beat, giving an extra layer of depth to the staging. At the same time, the camera angles used are also closer to Maria rather than the wide shots used during the chorus.

So come back to me, my summer breeze
What goes around comes around
With your hand in mine, life was at ease
But now we have lost what we’ve found

The bars gradually changed from emitting a cool blue colour to glowing bright orange, while the rest of the stage lights remained blue as they were.

If life was a sea
Would you come and sail with me
If then we were free?

For the first part of this chorus, the camera kept relatively close angles on Maria, including a steadicam who did a quite long shot on the stage, spinning around her and ending with showing the backing singers.

It’s not the end

And now the camera switched to wider shots that enabled us, the viewers at home, to see the full picture of how lively this staging was: blue lights moving around, orange bars going up and down, and the audience waving their flags to the rhythm of the song. Even Maria herself by now was moving her body a bit, almost carried away with the song and definitely having fun on stage.

When this is over, we’ll celebrate
Come and look for me in the evening shade
I’m sure one day we’ll meet again
This is not the end

But now with an instrumental break, she freed herself and spun around the stage a few times, with the cameras capturing all the fun that was happening on this Milano stage. Truly, you could tell that Maria was enjoying herself, and so was her backing singers as well as the audience around her. Towards the end, a steadicam came on stage and circle around her just as she was about to start singing again.

Maria then follows the steadicam (or as I like to put it, the steadicam follows her from in front) as she gets off the main stage and onto the 'catwalk' extending out of the right side of the stage.

It’s not the end

Now the whole stage erupts in a bath of orange light. Right after we see that happen, the camera switches to various shots of the audience many are bopping along to the song, some are waving their flags, some were singing along. We even get a glimpse of some Kalosian fans proudly waving their flags. The camera also briefly switches to the backing singers doing their part.

Oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh
This is not the end

Finally, the camera goes back to showing Maria, who is at the edge of the 'catwalk'. All the lights suddenly die down save for a spotlight on her, as she delivers the final blow, the last line of the song.

Come back to me, summer breeze

As the song ends, the crowd cheers. Maria takes a bow, saying "Thank you WorldVision! Ǧražia Milano!!!" before leaving the stage as it is being prepared for Eslaaja Partenen, the next entrant from Tödlichebujoku.
Last edited by Kalosia on Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Todlichebujoku
Senator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Todlichebujoku » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:17 am

33. _Tödlichebujoku_

It didn't matter that she was a successful artist. It didn't matter that she had fought her way here from nothing. At the end of the day, she had loved, and she had lost. But yet, she still loved, and it hurt all the worse.

Vina was laughing in the spring sunshine, her face more radiant than ever. She was clearly the star of this show, in a way she never had been before. It was almost like she was there again, when things were just beginning, when love was a beautiful possibility, when everything was bursting with promise and excitement. A single cold tear streaked down Eslaaja's cheek as she gazed at the dancing imagery that played upon the crystal face, the only light in her dark and silent room. A single tear was all she had left to cry, after all the shock and the anger, the loss and the realization, all took their toll. She never saw it coming, and she was so blind to what she had done until it was over.

"I can't believe I'm doing this through a message, but I can't suffer it all again, so here goes:
At one point I loved you. It feels like so long ago, and you seemed like such a different person back then. Maybe you loved me too- in the beginning I'm sure you did, but after that? I'm not so sure. I know I definitely fell away from love at some point. The fighting, the shouting, the blame you put on me each time... I felt like I was living with a time bomb, sleeping with a powder keg, always waiting for next explosion to shred me to pieces. The good times, they were there, but the truly enjoyable ones just got rarer and rarer as time went on, and these days I feel like living with you is a chore, and that's just not how it should be. I need respect, self-respect, and that's been missing for some time now.

I'm sorry it had to be like this. But I know how you'd react, and I can't take the thought of sitting through it all over again. Everything that's yours is still there. The stuff we had both owned together, that's all there too. I can't handle the memories they bring. So that's it, then. I'll miss the idea of you. Maybe you loved the idea of me. I suppose that'll stick around after I'm gone. Goodbye. And don't reply.

Eslaaja nearly dropped her handset in shock, the sound of the fumble echoing through the newly half-empty apartment.
I did ALL I could for her, and now she leaves? How ungrateful, how selfish, despicable... The NERVE of that woman... Choking back her first set of hot tears, she threw her device across the room, refusing to acknowledge anything any further, and turned to the kitchen, the mockingly destitute kitchen that only reminded her of what she'd just lost. Angered by that, she whirled and left, slamming the door as she stormed away for some takeout. It would be months before she would begin to understand.

It had taken time to sink in. A lot of time. But only after she had realized her own faults, and understood how her actions had destroyed their relationship, did Eslaaja feel fully comfortable with writing a final, real message to Vina. She could have just composed and sent a new message. But the time was long gone, she didn't want to reopen old wounds and bring back painful memories, and most importantly, Vina had blocked her on everything. It was a choice she struggled with, but ultimately, she wanted Vina to know- you deserve better.

TÖBUK rep Yošiko Yokinen was a huge fan of Eslaaja, and the news of the breakup, and Eslaaja's role in the relationship, hit her hard. Realizing that a role model acted in an abusive way in a relationship would shake anyone to their core, and Yošiko too needed time to mull over her feelings on the matter. Her emotional conflict, however, came to peace when she saw Eslaaja's statement accompanying the release of "Parempaa", seeing how her idol had taken accountability and recognized her flaws and mistakes, in a heartfelt manner that was rare in the entertainment industry. Inspired by Eslaaja's experience, and especially by her first single since the breakup, Yošiko swiftly and immediately came to the idea of inviting Eslaaja to represent Tödlichebujoku in WorldVision. Especially after the nation's last entry by Lahya, detailing a toxic and heated breakup, Eslaaja's contrast of an elegant, if pained, forgiveness and ownership of mistakes would provide an excellent contrast. After bouncing the concept off her boss, she nervously composed a message to Eslaaja proposing the idea. To her complete and utter surprise, Eslaaja responded rather quickly and was open to the idea, and soon the team was together in Milano, Besen, with Eslaaja about to perform.

The staging was simple- after a subtle blue glimmer along the edges of the stage, the lights brightened slightly to reveal Eslaaja, her back turned toward the audience, with a black rhinestone-studded dress. As the music begins, she is lit from the back of the stage, only her silhouette visible to the camera and audience. Eslaaja then turns around, a soft spotlight illuminating her as she does so, cutting to a view closer in to her face
Kerro, mitá sanoit, kauan sitten
Tell me what you said, long ago

Kerro mulle kaikki uudestaan
Tell me everything, all over again

Onko se totta vai valhetta?
Is it true or is it a lie?

Eslaaja turns to the camera, daringly, as if challenging the viewer to respond. But then she turns back away, biting her lip as she thinks about her own behavior, casting her head downwards in shame. The dress sparkles in the light and the movement, but the glow of Eslaaja's skin outshines it as she gazes out, away from the camera view
Silti sanani, ne kaikuvat
Yet my words, they resonate

Silti sanani, ne pettávát
Yet my words, they betray

Ne repivát meidát hayalle
They tore us apart

She turns back toward the audience, head up and steady. Facing the facts, facing her demons, and her responsibility. She squares her shoulders, recognizing her role in this, and looking beyond her own insecurities and prejudices, out beyond the audience, to where her once-loved is rebuilding her life. The light subtly increases in intensity
Mun süüni, kaikki mun süüni
My fault, all my fault

Nüt astut ulos ovesta ya kávelet valoon
Now you step out the door, and walk into the light

Süütin sua, yoka kerta, süütin sua
I blamed you, each time, I blamed you

Kaikesta, ya nüt, ilman mua, olet vapaa
For everything, and now, without me, you are free

The lights more strongly increase in intensity as Eslaaja heads into the chorus. Spotlights swing outwards from the stage as the camera view arcs across it, Eslaaja extending a hand outward, as if giving gift, if not of reconciliation, then of goodwill. There still is a remnant of pain upon her face as she does so, but it is mostly eclipsed by a grimace of determination to move on, to wish luck, and be a better person
Muista siis:
So remember:

Parempaa, sá ansaitset parempaa
Better, you deserve better

Palomme, se on vahvistanut sua
Our fire, it has strengthened you

Kun tuhosi kerran, voit nüt luoda uudelleen
Once destroyed, you can now recreate

Parempi rakkaus kuin mitá tiesimme
A better love than what we had known

The lights converge on the center stage area as Eslaaja gazes upward, looking forward to new relationships, better relationships, a brighter future to be built on the ruins of the past. She looks back down, encouragingly into the camera, as the spotlights whirl around her
Yatka...
Move on...

Yatka...
Move on...

Ya aurinko nousee yálleen
And the sun rises again

Oh...

The spotlights on center stage collectively rise together as one along the backstage and screen, like a sun rising, before fading away. Mist creeps along the stage floor, the view noticeably darkened, only a faint light illuminating the mist and Eslaaja herself as she turns her head downwards in a contemplative manner, echoing her descent into a dark place after first internalizing her mistakes, her face visibly trembling
Sade sataa, tumma kuin üö
Rain falls, dark as night

Uneksin ilosta, se sattuu
I dream of joy, it hurts

Miten olisin voinut pettáá?
How could I have betrayed?

Subtle red pulses appear along the edges of the stage as Eslaaja clutches at her chest, breath just barely noticeably ragged, like the shock of realization and understanding, as she then begins to raise her head
Kipu iskee südámessáni
Pain strikes within my heart

Voimistuu yokaisen sükeeni
Intensifying with my every pulse

Miten olisin voinut tietáá?
How could I have known?

The pulsing dissipates and the stage slowly brightens back with the raising of Eslaaja's head. She takes a deep breath, centering herself as she continues on, hand to her heart before raising it back out toward the audience, a pall of regret in her eyes as she reminisces
Mun süüni, kaikki mun süüni
My fault, all my fault

Nüt astut ulos ovesta ya kávelet valoon
Now you step out the door, and walk into the light

Süütin sua, yoka kerta, süütin sua
I blamed you, each time, I blamed you

Kaikesta, ya nüt, ilman mua, olet vapaa
For everything, and now, without me, you are free

Her hand turns so that her palm is outwards, reaching out, lights once again brightening substantially and spreading outwards behind her. Eyebrows scrunched in an earnest, hopeful expression, she belts out the chorus, the camera view close by as it pans alongside her
Muista siis:
So remember:

Palomme, se on vahvistanut sua

The camera view zooms out now, showing the spotlights close around Eslaaja on the stage floor, before cutting a closer view, where Eslaaja nods encouragingly
Yatka...
Move on...

Yatka...
Move on...

And the sun rises again

The spotlights rise together on the background screen, converging into a sun, before scattering outward, over the stage and audience. White sparks rain down behind Eslaaja as she falls to her knees, occasionally joining the backing singers as she closes her eyes and nods, raising her head to face the spotlight every once in a while, the camera arcing around her through the many spotlight beams
Kun tein virheen, otit süüllisüüden
When I made a mistake, you took the blame

Kun huusin sua, kestáit vihaani
When I shouted at you, you withstood my anger

Viha, vihani, et ansainnut, yoka ilta
Rage, my rage you didn't deserve, every night

Tuli ya yáá, ei koskaan olla taas
Fire and ice, will never be again

Siis paloimme, ya siis yáádüimme
So we burned, and so we froze

Beedas, ühdessá
Misery, together

Oh...

The lights intensify, scattering and recombining in various directions and manners, as a sparks fire upwards along the stage edge, Eslaaja still kneeling with her eyes closed at first but then rising, up on one leg, then the other, opening her eyes only on the second line of the chorus. She turns to the camera near her with a pained smile as she continues, the backing singers echoing her

Palomme, se on vahvistanut sua (se on vahvistanut sua)

Surrounded by a low wall of white flame, she leans forward, recovering from her climactic chorus, gazing into the camera directly ahead and above her, breath shaky as she too tries to follow what she sings. Around her, the spotlights begin to sweep back in toward the stage
Yatka...
Move on...

Álá kadu...
Don't regret...

And the sun rises again

Oh...

Eslaaja rises and turns away from the audience, facing the background screen, where the spotlights converge to form a sun. She shields her eyes with a hand as she sings the final line
And the sun rises again

She slowly strides to the back of the stage as the lights fade away and the stage returns to darkness

"Kiitos Milano, kiitos kaikille, thank you all!" she breathes into the microphone after reappearing on the stage. She then executes a quick half-bow and exits the stage.
Last edited by Todlichebujoku on Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 10 times in total.
早晨!ToBu for short.
[violet] wrote:You are my go-to nation for long names.
Oct 16 2018- Indo States wrote:YOU'RE FALSE TOBU
Apr 21 2020- Llalta wrote:omg tobu you’ve literally given me asthma with ur art

Talvezout
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Talvezout » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:08 pm

Isobella Bachelor: Hello everyone, shalom, buenas noches, bon nuit, and good evening to the 84th Worldvision Song Contest. I am Isobella Bachelor, and I coming to you live from Milano, in the lovely nation of Besen. We have a delightfully diverse grouping of entries and nations tonight, from us here in Talvezout to Britonisea to Kalosia to Mister-r-r-r-r-r X! I am definitely excited to get this contest r-r-r-r-roaring, so let's get started! I am currently cooped up in the commentary box high up here in the Mica Arena. It's a little cold up here, but I got some lovely bottles of Besen wine and delicacies to keep me occupied and warm. Now, the opening act is starting, so here we go my friends!
OPENING ACT
I thought that was quite the lovely opening act. Very poppy, very snappy. I loved it personally, a very optimistic dance song to keep everyone stoked for the contest. I thought the opening film was also quite endearing - the marching orchestra was honestly quite a nice touch, one TRT is probably gonna steal sometime soon.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
talveziobiblio.org.tz

WorldVision Committee
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby WorldVision Committee » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:05 pm

TELEVOTING

HOW IT WORKS

• Each nation will rank the other nations out of 10. Each number below 4 adds a scaled negative score whereas each number above 4 adds a scaled positive score (4 provides a neutral value). The complete score of each nation will be the total sum of the positive and negative scores. At this point, any nation with a negative score or 0 will be considered to have 0 televote points (only the bottom few nations might receive this). The rest of the nations with a positive score will have this score then multiplied until the total scores are equal to the amount of points distributed through the points on the IC thread (this from now is the IC "Juries").
  • This multiplied number will then be the televote score for each nation.
  • Unlike in the test-run, the committee will assume responsibility for the televote, that is its recording and maintenance. This info will be given to the host when all nations have voted on the IC thread or when the deadline passes. This will allow the vote to not be influenced by the host, and to make sure the formula used is accurate.
  • The committee will also be responsible for publishing the complete voting result overview at the end of the voting, including the individual votes of nations, as well as the overall voting breakdown.
  • If the percentage of nations receiving 0 points in the televote exceeds 10% of the total competing nations that edition, the committee will reserve the right to change these percentages so that the percentage of nations receiving 0 points falls under 10% once again. In this case, weightings changes will be done so that it does not affect any position in the top 3.
  • The host will be free to announce these results how they see fit, with the committee's strong recommendation to reveal them in the style of either of lowest to highest in the televote, or according to current standings after the jury vote.
  • In the event of a tie, the jury vote takes precedence.

TELEVOTE INSTRUCTIONS

• In addition to the standard 12-1 points that we all post on the IC thread (which remains the same) there will also be an additional requirement. Each contestant must also submit a response to a google form in which they will rate each song from 1-10 (out of a maximum of 10) - with 1 to a song which they hated and 10 to a song they loved (and everything in between).
  • There are no restrictions on televoting - You can allocate scores in the televote however you wish, and you do not need this to be the same metric by which you measure your "jury" scores. Some suggestions may be to split your scores according to the Music/Lyrics/RP etc., but this is optional. We will still check for invalid votes, for example every nation being ranked the same, or in a specific "pattern", but this won't be an issue if one votes fairly.
  • You can give your puppet a maximum of 6 out of 10 in the televote and vice-versa to the main nation. If you have a puppet you will have to submit a second set of televoting points - however, you can submit a single set of points and include the ranking for both your main nation and puppet nation in the same form. You must inform the committee if you wish to do this in advance.
  • If you do not submit a televote, you will receive a 25% penalty on your original televote score (which will then be redistributed among the rest of the nations according to their televoting score). It is strongly recommended that you submit a televote score.
  • NEW FOR WV84: We are now using a format in the form that should be easier to understand and complete; however please keep in mind that you input a score of 0 for your own nation, this is the new "ME" box. If you mark any other nation with a 0, we will input it as a 1.

WorldVision Song Contest Committee
"Uniting the Multiverse through Music"

Run by Carrelie, Elejamie, Malta Comino Gozo, South Batoko, and Ugunnustan

Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:58 am

CARYTON VOTES:

1 point for N. Alezia
2 points for N. Beepee
3 points for Ertzei Kishim
4 points for S. Alezia
5 points for Beepee
6 points for Antahbrantahstan
7 points for Main Nation Ministry
8 points for Malta Comino Gozo
10 points for Britonisea
12 points for Pemecutan
The Spiritual Republic of Caryton
(CARYTON VIDEO)
A serene & puritan 80s-90s tech agrarian Christian fundamentalist nation with no separation between church and state. Wide prairies, fertile plains, archaic clothing, clean skies, lack of modern influence, universal prohibition, kind societies, and simple austere lives forge the Carytonic identity.
Music of Caryton: [8-29-22] Classic Carytonic Sing-Along Hymns

Beepee
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Beepee » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:17 pm

Hello,  Hello?  Is this thing working? I'm sorry, I can't hear you Milano.

Besen come in please..... Besen?

I shall carry on regardless and hope you are receiving me.

Good evening, Milano, this is Beepee calling.  BONC Norfolk Pinewoods is delighted to present the results of the Beepeean Jury.

1 point to North Alezia
2 points to Mister X
3 points to Northern Beepee
4 points to Placey Placington
5 points to Tödlichebijoku
6 points to Talvezout
7 points to Britonisea

And now, our top points...

8 points goes to Estogium

10 points goes to Normandy and Picardy

And finally....

the 12 points, the douze points, from Beepee goes to Haidar Ribeiro from

ANTAHBRANTAHSTAN

That completes the votes of the Beepeean jury.

*edited for typos
Last edited by Beepee on Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Northern Beepee
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 26, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Northern Beepee » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:37 pm

Good evening Milano..... this is Northern Beepee calling.

Here are our votes:

1 point to Saviera
2 points to Caryton
3 points to Izmedu
4 points to Beepee
5 points to Achaean Republic
6 points to Elejamie
7 points to Malta Comino Gozo

And our 8 points go to

Ertzei Kishim

10 points go to

Kalosia

And finally twelve points go to

POLKOPIA

That completes the votes of the Northern Beepee Jury.  Goodnight.

South Alezia
Secretary

Founded: Jun 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby South Alezia » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:16 pm

SOUTH ALEZIAN VOTES

(Lady Alyoub of South)

Ughhh what the heck, I should've be driving a lamborghini by now... I want the manager of the world, ugh!
By the way, hello Milano, by the way, do you want to join my business, it's not a pyramid scheme I swear! I'm a private consultant at *brand censored* If you want to look more beautiful, give me a call... by the way, here are the votes of South Alezia or sumthin'

I don't even want to comment on everyone because everyone's songs sucks except for ours or something lol.

1 POINT goes to Caryton
2 POINTS go to Achaean Republic
3 POINTS go to Main Nation Ministry
4 POINTS go to Minskiev
5 POINTS go to North Alezia
6 POINTS go to Normandy and Picardy
7 POINTS go to Fautenheddo
8 POINTS go to Nachlomo
10 POINTS go to Waisnor
and 12 POINTS go to Placey Placington

Yeah, that's South's votes or something lol buy my stuff see ya next edition or something

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys, let us win.

Baaaaaaye
puppet of north alezia :D

Waisnor
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Waisnor » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:45 am

WAISNOR IS CALLING

"Hello, Svyatoslav Klobukov is again with you and I'll announce jury votes from Waisnor. I hope that you enjoyed this awesome edition. Now, let's get down to business."

1 point - PEMECUTAN
2 points - KALOSIA
3 points - IZMEDU
4 points - NORMANDY & PICARDY
5 points - POLKOPIA
6 points - BRITONISEA
7 points - BEEPEE

8 points - SAVIERA

10 points - NORTH ALEZIA

12 points - MALTA COMINO GOZO
81 = 18th/34
82 = 22nd/31
83 = 27th/41
84 = 15th/27
85 = 20th/28
86 = 14th/32
87 = 14th/36
88 = 24th/32
89 = 16th/37
90 = 8th/35
91 = 9th/30
92 = 8th/29
93 = 4th/25
94 = 14th/28
95 = 15th/27
96 = 8th/34
97 = 6th/25
98 = 23rd/31
99 = 6th/38
100 = 12th/51
101 = 24th/32
102 = 10th/30
103 = 2nd/26
104 = 11th/26
105 = 6th/31
106 = 5th/25
107 = 21st/37
108 = 9th/32
109 = 11th/21
110 = 14th/27
111 = 5th/29
112 = 7th/25

51 = 10th/20
52 = 19th/24
53 = 11th in the semifinal/33

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:53 pm

Here are the votes of the Normand jury:

12pts - Izmedu
10pts - Talvezout
8pts - Todlichebujoku
7pts - Elejamie
6pts - Kalosia
5pts - Waisnor
4pts - Malta Comino Gozo
3pts - Britonisea
2pts - Mister X
1pt - Achaean Republic
Northern French Names but with a general Western Med vibe, welcome to N&P

Scotatrova
Senator

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Scotatrova » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:08 pm

Scotatrovian Spokesperson, Juliana Mendez

"Iola Milano! Thanks for having us tonight Besen, here are the results of the Scotatrovian jury."

Todlichebujoku gom Unue aqute
North Alezia gom Diuse aqutes
Izmedu gom Traz aqutes
Achaean Republic gom Qüetre aqutes
Kalosia gom Cinqüe aqutes
Malta Comino Gozo gom Sez aqutes
Polkopia gom Siet aqutes

Nosre Uotte aqutes va ai...Ertzei Kishim!

Nosre Dihes aqutes va ai...Mister X!

Ía athor...nosre Duse aqutes va ai...Saviera!
The Scotatrovian People's Republic
La Repuvlia eh’Oneix Scotatrofina

Official Factbook

Mister X
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mister X » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:10 pm

25 Elejamie 12
13 Talvezout 10
28 Saviera 8
16 Northern Beepee 7