NATION

PASSWORD

Two For the Road [Closed|Padradis Only]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:44 pm

Camillo smiled at what he perceived to be a compliment.

"Thank you... yeah, I mean, Pepper's cool, but I think that I'm a bit cooler than that," he said in a playfully bragging voice.

"No it was good. That was a good trip"

The waitress arrived with the food before he said anything else. She placed the plates in front of each of them, saying, "buon appetito."

"But yeah, glad I could brighten that event. Being around politicians for a vacation has gotta be boring."
I live in Vermont. You can call me Sam. Nation doesn't entirely reflect my views.
I'm a bad leftist.
8values
Current Leader: Governor John Blakeslee

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

Basel-Triesen
Attaché

Founded: Apr 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Basel-Triesen » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:51 pm

Alex laughed a bit, "Yeah, and I'm around politicians enough as it is. On my vacation too? That's a bit much for me, though my brother soaks it up. He loves having a chance to be snobby towards them."

Alex smiled at the waitress and thanked her as she set the food down in front of them. He took another sip of his water before the waitress returned to refill it. "And yeah, Camillo, you're much cooler than Blakeslee and Pepper."
Baptism of Fire 82 Champions

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:54 pm

"You're cooler too. At least with you I'm pretty sure there's been no big scandals," he said with a laugh.

"Let's eat, though," Camillo continued, "we can talk more after."
I live in Vermont. You can call me Sam. Nation doesn't entirely reflect my views.
I'm a bad leftist.
8values

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

Basel-Triesen
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Basel-Triesen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:05 am

Alex eats and enjoys his meal, having never had this dish before despite having had Appeniyan food before.

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:02 am

Basel-Triesen wrote:Alex eats and enjoys his meal, having never had this dish before despite having had Appeniyan food before.

Camillo also enjoyed his relatively simple meal - it was what he regularly got at this restaurant. He liked to eat light during official dinners... it was a respect thing.

"So, what are your plans once Pepper changes his mind?"
I'm a bad leftist.
8values

Basel-Triesen
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Basel-Triesen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:12 am

The Champlain wrote:
Basel-Triesen wrote:Alex eats and enjoys his meal, having never had this dish before despite having had Appeniyan food before.

Camillo also enjoyed his relatively simple meal - it was what he regularly got at this restaurant. He liked to eat light during official dinners... it was a respect thing.

"So, what are your plans once Pepper changes his mind?"

Alex smiled, "Well, I suppose go back home. I wonder if things are being handled fine in our absence, but I'm sure they are. But yes, going back home would be the plan. I was supposed to meet with Prime Minister Kielsen in Grønnland today but that had to be cancelled of course. I suppose when I get home we'd reschedule it."

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:18 am

Basel-Triesen wrote:Alex smiled, "Well, I suppose go back home. I wonder if things are being handled fine in our absence, but I'm sure they are. But yes, going back home would be the plan. I was supposed to meet with Prime Minister Kielsen in Grønnland today but that had to be cancelled of course. I suppose when I get home we'd reschedule it."

In absentia, huh. Perhaps Alex was more important to his country than he had let on. It seems John wasn't the only one who needed to speak with him. Though, truth be told, Camillo really only followed the politics of Apenniya in Europe. Maybe he had seen Alex on TV or Youtube before? Greenland is a subject to Basel-Triesen, perhaps he's some kind of catch-all ambassador. Yet, that would be a horribly inefficient government position for such a large country. What kind of a minister can go to any country on official business? Of course, Alex could be exaggerating what he does.

"Greenland, huh? Aren't they trying to get independence right now or something?" he asked glibly. Camillo had no idea about what really happens in Greenland.

"Important part of those negotiations?" he continued playfully. Why did I just say that?
Last edited by The Champlain on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a bad leftist.
8values

Basel-Triesen
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Basel-Triesen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:20 am

Alex smiled, "Yeah, Triesen and Grønnland are looking to negotiate the possibility of Grønnland's independence. This was going to be my first meeting with the Prime Minister following their recent referendum." He laughed a bit at Camillo's next question, "Oh yeah, as king I'm the person solely able to grant their independence. That's probably important I guess." He laughs a bit again.

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:59 am

King, right.

Camillo stopped eating for a second and thought. It certainly seemed improbable that he would end up at a table with any leader of a foreign nation, let alone a king. Yet it does fit all the things that had happened that week. The meeting with John and Pepper, the strangely dressed people always being with him. Though, that still could have been some last-minute Europhile expense from Blakeslee. Regardless, the tabloids would love this story.

"Ah. Sounds important, yeah," he said, poorly disguising his nervousness.

Camillo also had to wonder if he would be the first foreign head of state to perform a Ya. I really hope that that woman didn't take any pictures of us in there, he thought, I don't need to be in the news kissing a turtle.

"So, how's that?"
I'm a bad leftist.
8values

Basel-Triesen
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Basel-Triesen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:34 pm

Alex watched as the gears seemed to turn in Camillo's head. He'd waited until a comfortable moment to tell Camillo he was a king, not wanting it to cloud his judgment of him too early. He smiled as Camillo spoke, sounding nervous, asking how its like being a king.

"Oh, well I'm still getting used to it. Not having to be commanded by somebody when I'm home is quite nice, plus I get lots of time to just disappear and go for a hike if I please without anybody telling me I'm not allowed to. Oh, and the castles and palaces are a nice touch. I really like the Royal Guard's uniforms, I think the blue looks rather pretty and their pointy helmets have always amused me as not being entirely sensible."

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:45 pm

Camillo ate a little more and thought a bit. He could vaguely recall some European coronation happening a couple years ago. The guy at that event did seem a little younger than Alex, so... possibly. It very well could be him.

But something else didn't make sense. It fit that a king would be associating with the Governor, but what did he want to do with Camillo? Camillo seemed a pretty low standing figure for a head of state to be hanging around with.

"That's good... I'm glad it's been going well for you. But now, I have to know. Why are you out with me instead of with your other group? I'm sure the other guy, Francis, or something, is more important than sharing pasta with a grad student..."
I'm a bad leftist.
8values

Basel-Triesen
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Basel-Triesen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:09 pm

Alex laughed, "Franz? I'm sure between his wife and trying to call and scream at Pepper, he's got a lot to keep him busy."

Alex took a few sips of his water before smiling again, "And why am I hanging out with you? That's a question you want to ask? Because I like you and I already have found enjoyment in spending time with you."

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:15 pm

"Fair enough. I guess I like being with you too."

He finished up the rest of his meal and wiped his face with the kerchief he placed on his lap.

"We could hang out some more while you're still here, if you like. I gotta do five Ya's a day, for one idea."
Last edited by The Champlain on Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a bad leftist.
8values

Basel-Triesen
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Basel-Triesen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:22 pm

Alex smiled before taking a few last sips of his water and wiping his mouth with his napkin. "I would love to hang out with you, sure sounds a million times better than being trapped in my hotel room all day."

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:38 pm

Montpelier, Vermont, 9:03 PM

Pepper had been discussing with his cabinet for the past couple of days on how to limit the damage from the now-obviously rushed decision to close the borders.

"Will, you can say you closed them for Easter weekend. It won't make you look any better but it's at least a real policy," Watkins suggested to him. Hers sounded by far like the best plan.

"You think so? I'll do that then. Let's get the cameras in here and put this on TV!"

--15 minutes later--

Pepper took a seat in front of the camera, after it had started broadcasting. Already off to a bad start.

"My fellow Vermonters," he began, as John began most of his addresses, "I have an important update on our MODED policy. While it was done... with great haste," he struggled on a particular sentence on the teleprompter, "I believe that I can now temporarily lift the travel ban. Our intention... was to... keep." He paused to take a breath.

"Our intentention [sic] was to keep our citizens safe over this Easter weekend. I understand that a lot of US folks in particular like to come up for a vacation in the spring, but we simply could not allow this to happen with the amount of MODED cases in the US. It's pleasing... I'm pleased to be able to tell you that the number of cases in our republic has gone down over the last week. The borders of Vermont of the US states of New Hampshire and Massachusetts, and with the nation of Kannap, will be open at 12:00 am this morning. Flights will also be allowed to resume at 6:30 am tomorrow morning."

"Thank you for your per-serverence [sic] at this time. God bless Vermont."

Melanie Watkins had suppressed several snickers during the speech and instead scowled at Pepper. He didn't seem to notice.

Maybe the angry man on the phone would stop calling now, Pepper thought, leaves me with more important things to attend to.
I'm a bad leftist.
8values

Basel-Triesen
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Basel-Triesen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:43 pm

Grand Vermont Hotel

Franz, hearing the news, called his pilot to tell him to have the plane ready at 6am the next morning. He then called the airport and negotiated with them to allow his plane to be the first to take off at 6:30 when flights were permitted to operate again. He was planning to get back to Basel-Triesen as soon as possible.

After the calls, he goes to bed with his wife.

The next morning they wake up at 5am and go straight to the airport, having packed the night before. At 6:30AM, their plane is lifting off from the runway. Franz looks out the window at the land moving further from him below and he raises his middle finger against the window, giving his last goodbye to Vermont. "If I ever have to come here again, it'll be too soon," he thought to himself.

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:25 pm

Burlington, VT, 7:15 AM

Camillo had finished up the morning's short Ya with both his parents before going back downstairs to his room. He pulled out his phone and browsed it for a while, having quite a bit of time before his classes would start that day. Camillo remembered Pepper's announcement and made a quick text to the king.

"Have a good flight home.

Come back soon?"
I'm a bad leftist.
8values

Basel-Triesen
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Basel-Triesen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Grand Vermont Hotel

Alex was awoken my his brother after being allowed to sleep in until noon. He hadn't done that in some time. Kristian informed his brother that the borders were reopened and flights were allowed to leave the country. He told him Franz had already gone home and that they should head back too. Alex shook his head, "I'm going to stay a little longer, make a vacation out of it. You go home, let me know if anything serious happens or if there's an emergency that needs my attention. Have the pilot send the plane back to rest at the airport here when you get home."

Kristian nodded, heading for the airport with his two guards. One of Alex's guards also left to go home, at Alex's permission. The one guard remaining was Eliza, the guard Alex had come to trust most after having conversations with her the past few days. He checked his cell phone, seeing a message from Camillo sent five hours earlier. Alex smiled, he thinks I went home, but wants me to come back!

Alex shot a text back, a bit of a joke rather than telling him he's still in Vermont, "Might be a hell of a lot sooner than you think."

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:46 pm

Burlington

Camillo was finishing up his noontime Ya when he heard that Alex had responded. He hurried through the rest of his prayer and got his phone from his desk.

Ah, very cool, I guess he hasn’t left yet, Camillo thought reading Alex’s message.

“We could hang out again if you’d want?” he typed back, before messaging his address to Alex.

“No cameramen! See you soon.”
I'm a bad leftist.
8values

Basel-Triesen
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Basel-Triesen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Alex checked his phone as he received a message back from Camillo. He smiled, reading Camillo's address and calling his driver to get the car ready. They drive over shortly after and Alex tells the driver to return to the hotel and gets out, walking towards the front door of the house. He knocks on the door and waits patiently on the porch.

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:21 pm

Camillo’s father ambles to the door and opens it. He is a tall and burly man, borderline stereotypical of Apenniyans - complete with a grey 19th century style beard, a shiny bald head, and a dirty t-shirt.

He asks in his surprisingly dainty, and extremely thickly accented, voice, “Who are you?”
I'm a bad leftist.
8values

Basel-Triesen
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Basel-Triesen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:26 pm

Alex jumps at the sight of the person answering the door, thinking he immediately had the wrong house, "I- I uh, think I have the w-wrong house," he stutters as he backs up a few steps. Not really scared of the man, just not recognizing the man.

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:33 pm

“That’s probably for me, dad!” Camillo yells in Appeniyan from the kitchen.

“Is it a guy in a suit?”

“Uhhh yeah,” he answered, squinting at the king walking back from the door.

“You can let him in.”

Now back in English, the man opens the door again and holds it, saying, “Please, come in. All a misunderstanding.”

Camillo comes out of the kitchen to greet his guest in the living room.
I'm a bad leftist.
8values

Basel-Triesen
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Basel-Triesen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:35 pm

The Champlain wrote:“That’s probably for me, dad!” Camillo yells in Appeniyan from the kitchen.

“Is it a guy in a suit?”

“Uhhh yeah,” he answered, squinting at the king walking back from the door.

“You can let him in.”

Now back in English, the man opens the door again and holds it, saying, “Please, come in. All a misunderstanding.”

Camillo comes out of the kitchen to greet his guest in the living room.

Alex perks up a bit at the sound of Camillo's voice even though he can't understand what he's yelling. He waits patiently as they exchange sentences back and forth before the man steps aside and lets Alex in.

Alex smiles, nodding, "thank you," walking into the house and greeting Camillo when he sees him come around the corner, "Hey!"

The Champlain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Champlain » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:42 pm

Camillo offers the king a handshake before gesturing vaguely and the living room.

“So, yeah, I live here. That’s my abba you met,” he said with a slight laugh, “promise he’s not as mean as he looks. Not mean at all actually. Come downstairs with me, that’s where all my stuff is.”

He leads the king to the fully furnished basement of the three floor house, complete with office space, a partially walled bedroom, an entertainment center, and a few musical instruments hanging from wall hooks.

“This is my little place here, where I do all my work, play, and so on. I was actually playing around with my guitar when you got here,” he said, pointing a finger at the worn-looking guitar sitting on the couch.

“Got any plans for the day?”
I'm a bad leftist.
8values

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates