NATION

PASSWORD

House of Commons (EoGB - Autumn Session 2019)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Her Majesty Queen Victoria
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 28, 2018
Mother Knows Best State

House of Commons (EoGB - Autumn Session 2019)

Postby Her Majesty Queen Victoria » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:34 am

House of Commons
Autumn Session (1st September - 1st December 2019)

Monarch: Her Majesty Queen Victoria
Speaker of the House: The Founding Father

The Right Honourable Members of the House

Member for Scotland: The Founding Father
Member for Wales: Gwerncyned
Member for Northern Ireland: Trymedesia
Member for Northern England: Colfax County
Member for Eastern England: VACANT
Member for The Midlands: VACANT
Member for Southern England: Newtopian Britain

Bills Passed by the House:

Bills Given Royal Assent:

Gwerncyned
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Gwerncyned » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:17 pm

(re upload of my last post on the old Commons if anyone missed it)
"I congratulate the Speaker on his recent election victory.
I humbly ask the Speaker whether i may present my first bill entitled, “Standardization, Streamlining and Scheduling of the House of Commons” Bill"
The MP for Wales in her Majesties House of Commons

The Founding Father
Lobbyist

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Founding Father » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:33 am

Gwerncyned wrote:(re upload of my last post on the old Commons if anyone missed it)
"I congratulate the Speaker on his recent election victory.
I humbly ask the Speaker whether i may present my first bill entitled, “Standardization, Streamlining and Scheduling of the House of Commons” Bill"

I invite the Right Honourable Member for Wales to present his first bill to the House.

Gwerncyned
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Gwerncyned » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:11 am

I thank the Speaker for his quick response and I commend this bill to the house,

“Standardisation, Streamlining and Scheduling of the House of Commons” Bill

Noting that, Previous Sessions of the House have been relatively disorganised and thus bills have been slow to pass through the house.

And that, the creation of a uniform parliamentary Schedule for the Commons to follow would heavily assist in organising RP within the House of Commons as well as allowing an efficient and fair queuing system for Bills/Amendments to be used.

I Propose,

1. That bills or Amendments to Bills should first be submitted to the Speaker simply as a TITLE in the Commons forum

2. The Titles for these bills or Amendments will then be queued for debate and vote by the Speaker in an official schedule.

3. The schedule should follow the example given at the bottom of this Bill (Time zone used is at the discretion of the Speaker).

4. The schedule for bills once made should then be presented by the speaker to the House of Commons ASAP so that MP’s are aware of when bills/amendments will be debated and voted on

5. If the Schedule is updated (e.g. A new bill/amendment is added to the end of the schedule) then the house of commons should be informed ASAP

6. MP’s/The government can appeal the timing of a debate/vote for a Bill/Amendment in the schedule with the Speaker

7. MP’s/The government may not appeal the ORDER of Bills/Amendments in the schedule with the Speaker

8. No more than one bill/amendment may be presented to the House for debate/vote at one time

9. The start time of a Debate for any bill/amendment will be announced by the Speaker prior to the debate in the Schedule

10. Once the Debate has officially begun only then will the FULL BILL will be posted onto the forum by the MP/GOVERNMENT MINISTER that proposed the Bill

11. The Maximum Debate time for any bill/amendment will not exceed 72 hours (Three full days) after the Start time declared by the speaker.

12. The Vote for any bill/amendment will be declared open by the Speaker immediately after the Debate time for the bill has elapsed.

13. The maximum time allowed for a vote will be 48 hours (Or until all MP’s have declared their voting intentions).

14. Votes will be declared as such, AYE for yes, NAY for No and Abstain (This is the traditional system used in the UK parliament)

15. That if at any time the house wishes to change the maximum debate or vote time then the change would have to be presented as an amendment to this bill and therefore should be queued by the Speaker in the same way as any other bill or amendment

16. That the only legal way for a Bill/Amendment to be removed entirely from the schedule is by a public declaration of the Withdrawal of the bill to the house by the MP/ GOVERNMENT MINISTER that initially proposed the bill to the Speaker.

17. That any bill can be withdrawn at any time PRIOR to or DURING a Debate but cannot be Withdrawn once the Vote on the bill/amendment has begun

18. That the only Legal way for a Bill/Amendment to be bumped up the Schedule by an MP/The Government is if the bill/ amendment in question is requested to become an EMERGENCY BILL/AMENDMENT.

19. The definition of an EMERGENCY BILL/AMENDMENT would be subjective, therefore as the Speaker has full control over scheduling he/she would have the final say as to whether a particular bill/amendment should be defined as an EMERGENCY BILL/AMEDMENT

20. If the EMERGENCY BILL/AMENDMENT is shifted up the list by the speaker then the Speaker should immediately inform the House of Commons as well as explain the reasoning behind the decision to define the bill/Amendment as an EMERGENCY BILL/AMENDMENT in order to ensure Parliamentary scrutiny of the decision.

21. That this bill if passed by the house take IMMEDIATE effect.

EXAMPLE TO EXPLAIN SCHEDULING:

This system will allow the organisation of a debating schedule by the speaker easy. For example if we combine the maximum debating time by the maximum vote time we get a total time for a bill to be debated and voted on as 5 days or 120 hours. This allows the speaker to know in advance when debates and votes will be over and thus queue in advance to the nearest hour when new bills will be presented to the house. It also prevents a bill being debated on endlessly preventing other bills being presented. It also prevents the bill in question never being voted on in the first place due to endless debate (Filibustering). An example of a schedule would work as such

Bill A: DEBATE START: 5:00 PM GMT 07/09/2019
DEBATE END: 5:00 PM GMT 10/09/2019
Vote Start: 5:30 PM GMT 10/09/2019
Vote End: 5:30 PM GMT 12/09/2019

Bill B: Debate Start: 6:00 PM GMT 12/09/2019

ETC.

As you can see in this example the maximum times means that both the speaker and MP’s can be certain of when the end of the debate for Bill A will be (72 hours after the speaker started the Debate ) and when the Speaker will end the vote on BILL A ( 48 hours after he started the Vote process). The fact that the speaker knows when the vote on Bill A ends means he can then schedule the Debate for bill B well in advance meaning there is no arguments as to what bill is being discussed at any particular time. This system will also mean that MP’s can see which Bills/Amendments are being debated and when and so can plan in advance as to whether they should attend the Debates/votes. This hopefully will help those members of the region who either work/study plan when to come online to debate/vote. The MP/ government who proposed Bill B for example would be able to appeal the scheduled timing of the debate. They could appeal to the speaker that the Debate for Bill B should take place 30 mins later or the next day. However they would not be able to appeal to the speaker to Debate Bill A before Bill B unless of course the MP who proposed Bill A to the Speaker publically declared the withdrawal of his bill to the House OR the person who proposed Bill B managed to convince the Speaker that Bill B should be considered as an EMERGENCY BILL/AMENDMENT.

Newtopian Britain
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 17, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Newtopian Britain » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:37 am

Mr Speaker,

I would like to express my support for this very necessary bill proposed by TRH Gwerncyned. As you know, I served as the previous Speaker of the House and the main issue I and several members was the horrific disorganisation of the day-to-day goings on of the House. It proved to be disastrous and halted any, if not all, progress for our fine region. I can see this bill playing a crucial role in passing all other bills in an efficient, and simplistic way. Something that can only have benefits for the political development we hope to achieve. I commend my right honourable colleagues on their enthusiasm, something I hope to match and maintain during this coming term.

Thank You Mr. Speaker.
Major-General Oliver Newman - Leader of Newtopian Britain - MP for Southern England - Foreign Secretary - Long Live the Regime!

Gwerncyned
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Gwerncyned » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:12 pm

Newtopian Britain wrote:Mr Speaker,

I would like to express my support for this very necessary bill proposed by TRH Gwerncyned. As you know, I served as the previous Speaker of the House and the main issue I and several members was the horrific disorganisation of the day-to-day goings on of the House. It proved to be disastrous and halted any, if not all, progress for our fine region. I can see this bill playing a crucial role in passing all other bills in an efficient, and simplistic way. Something that can only have benefits for the political development we hope to achieve. I commend my right honourable colleagues on their enthusiasm, something I hope to match and maintain during this coming term.

Thank You Mr. Speaker.

I thank TRH Newtopian Britain for his support of the bill

The Founding Father
Lobbyist

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Founding Father » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:54 am

I invite other Right Honourable Members of the House to pass comment on the Bill presented by the Member for Wales. If no further debates or amendments are brought forward by 20:00 GMT Saturday 14th, I will ask the Members of the House to vote on a motion to bring the Bill to a House vote.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Out-of-Character, internal regional government business - which this appears to be, given it makes reference in law to organizing roleplay itself - doesn't belong on the forums, but belongs on your RMB or dispatches. iLock.

If you wish to roleplay in such a way that your region has an In-Character legislature by which nations send representatives, that'd be acceptable; it'd also be acceptable to have a regional roleplay where each nation represents a constituency of an individual nation, but as that would not involve your NS country, it wouldn't belong here, but in Portal to the Multiverse.
Last edited by Kyrusia on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates